BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny (jsnowash)'s Spring Guinea Pig Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-06-14 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4260942

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Jenny (jsnowash)'s Spring Guinea Pig Group - CLOSED

jsnowash - 2012-06-14 5:13 AM Okay, read back through the posts, and I guess I don't necessarily see any specific questions to answer. Mitch -- so sorry to hear about your stress fracture.... I know you've been working really hard and have made a lot of great progress, I know it must be incredibly frustrating. I'll second Joey's suggestion to consider water running. It's not likely to IMPROVE your running, but can help you MAINTAIN some of the running fitness you've gained. How long does your doc want you to stay away from running? Of course when you come back, make sure you ease back into it to avoid re-injuring yourself....

I go back for a check-up on July 20th.  I have some family stuff going on that will eat into training for a week so I'm going to focus on swimming and biking in until I get a go from the doc.  Then I'm going to reset all my run training and see how it goes.  I think it will come back pretty quick if I maintain my aerobic base and cycling.  Going to do a lot of track running (I have a cushioned track 1 mile from home) and also try to run on grass more often.  It is what it is and just have to move forward.

2012-06-14 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4124019

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Janette,  ?RELAX.

B?reath in through the nose....out through the mouth.  repeat......

1) ?Seriously, Your race is over a month away-you got PLENTY of time.  You'll get better and better after every OWS practice.  Trust us.  You are going to be FINE.  You just have to wrap your head around the idea that the swim is a bit confusing/scary/disorienting/exciting/spooky/intimidating.  EVERYBODY is feeling it-some of them can just hide it better than others.

2)  See if there is a "Special Needs" table or any accomidations for glasses etc.  You should be able to get your glasses immediately after getting out of the water.  As far as being 'discombobulated"- just slooowwww down when you get out of the water.  I've even seen people go to there hands and knees for a few seconds to get oriented before standing.  Sure and steady usually ends up being pretty fast.  As far as your vision; can you see your hand in the water?  Can you see bubbles?  The water has a little bit of optical correction that should help you see a bit.  If you can see your own hand it might be more comforting.  If you can see bubbles in front of you-FOLLOW THEM.  They're being created by the swimmers in front of you.  Let them do your sighting for you.

3)  Rubber legs are normal and I've not found any way to prevent them.  As others have said, there are some tricks to make them slightly less rubbery, but (IMO) Bricks are the best thing you can do.  They don't make yourmlegs feel better, but they get you USED to the feeling of having rubber legs.  The fear that creeps into my head during races is always the unknown/unfamiliar stuff.  If I can reproduce experiences during training-it's always (mentally) easier during actual races.

YOU CAN DO THIS!  Trust your training and trust your HEART. 

2012-06-15 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4261644

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
jaykayjay - 2012-06-14 12:45 PM

My sprint race is July 22.  #1 - I am most worried about freaking out on the swim.  I have been OWS 4 times this month.  I have had spotters on the shore, but no one with me in the water.  I actually think I will be better if I have other swimmers near/with me.  My breathing needs some real work.  I am not a super swimmer, but I know I can make the distance so long as I don't hyperventilate.  It is very frustrating when I know the gasping is from fear which is totally controllable in my head, but I still keep going there.

Good advice so far. I would suggest for your race, line yourself up toward the back of your wave, and perhaps off to the side a bit. You might want to let the rest of the pack go before you begin your swim. Swimming within a crowd for the first time can also be a bit anxiety-producing, so if you allow most of the crowd to leave before you do, you'll have a calmer swim. I realize this is a "race", but for this one, I think your goal for the swim should be to get through it as comfortably as you can. Before the swim begins, try your best to calm yourself - whatever method works for you -- deep breathing, repeating a calming mantra, etc. Try your best to keep your swim effort EASY. You might have a tendency to go out harder than usual, and you might find yourself out of breath if you do that. Getting some open water swim practice ahead of time is definitely a good strategy. Keep that up, and practice trying to calm yourself in the water.

#2 - a distant second worry is transitions especially swim to bike.  I have practiced a couple times, but I guess it is just the unknown.  Getting out of the water, I feel all disconnected.  I wear glasses and can't wear contacts so part of it is not being able to see until I get to my sport glasses.  I have tried the optical goggles, but they don't help much given my really bad eyesight.  I think that also contributes to my fear in OWS because I can't see anything on the shore or the island I swim to.

In part, that "disconnected" feeling is normal - it has to do with going from horizontal to vertical position -- your heart needs to get blood back up to your brain.... Take the first few steps a little easy. Re: the vision issues -- do optical goggles help even a little bit? As noted above, your swim course will likely be marked with large bright flourescent orange inflatable bouys. You'll also have other swimmers who will hopefully be headed in the right direction, so keeping track of them can also help you stay on course. I would definitely contact the race director and explain your vision issues, and ask if there is a way to get your glasses to you as you come out of the water. As Jeff noted, they might have a table at the swim exit, or might designate a volunteer to hand you your glasses, or may allow a friend or family member to hand them to you. Best to work that detail out with the RD ahead of time - one less thing to worry about on race day.

# 3 - my third little worry is getting my legs under me in the first mile of the run.  I did a brick last week with a longer bike ride followed by a 5K run distance and boy did I feel sluggish on the run.  It was late in the day and hot, but I was surprised that I didn't have more zip.

Just my ramblings -

Par for the course, I'm afraid.... It's something that will get better the more you do it. You probably don't need to do a lot of LONG bricks in your training, but just getting off and running for 10 or 15 minutes after a bike training session can help you get used to that transition. Another issue is bike pacing -- if you go too hard on the bike, your run may suffer, so keep that in mind as well.
2012-06-15 10:53 AM

Did 2000ish last night in the pool.  felt blah, stroke wasn't smooth and the whole 2000 felt labored.  Long story short...it was ok timewise, but not comfortable.

Went out running this morning and more of the same blah.  Ran 3 miles at a decent clip, then faded quickly, so I listened to my body and walked home.

This week has been rough with work and my travel schedule.  I probably got 4ish hours of sleep per night (at best) since Monday, so I'm in a huge deficit.  I was hoping to power through a 6-8 mile run this morning, but the lack of sleep probably caught up with me.  No biggie.  I'll goto bed early for the next few night to catch-up.

Hope everyone has a good Friday!

Edited by LarchmontTri 2012-06-15 10:55 AM
2012-06-15 11:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Hey, GP's.  Thanks so much for all your great advice and support.  I read somewhere on here that, "Worry is NOT preparation!"  So.... I ran a bike/run brick this morning and spent the last 5 minutes on the bike stretching my calves and spinning in a higher gear.  Ran through the wobble and cramped calves and felt back to normal by about 8 minutes into the run.  Then I lined up a friend to swim with me on Sunday.  Then I called the eye doctor and made an appointment to get fitted for a single contact for just my distance vision (one eye with an old softball injury can't accomodate a contact, but one eye vision may just work).  Then I sent an email to the RD of my sprint tri to find out about the buoys, the layout of the swim and a "special needs" table.  (Jeff - that made me laugh, because that is my husband's word for me when I am being high maintenance!) Next, I plan to make a new playlist for my pre-race prep and call it, "Chill Pill!"   Thanks for your comments.  So - new quote, "Good luck is the residue of preparation."

Have a great weekend!

2012-06-16 2:18 PM

Hey all.  

Got some sleep last night and fueled-up better, and I had a good 10 mile run this morning.  I started off at a more measured pace, and tried to maintain it, which I think I did pretty well.  I felt pretty good throughout.  Definitely could have gone farther...felt like i had another 2-3 miles in me...but since yesterday was so rough, i decided to stop at 10.  

Tomorrow morning, my plan is to take a long bike ride.  Hopefully my alarm actually wakes me up this time...

Hope everyone is well. 

Happy Saturday!

2012-06-17 6:27 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Happy Father's Day to all you Daddy Pigs! Had a great race yesterday -- I'll fill you guys in on the details later. Enjoy the day!
2012-06-18 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Daddy Pigs, is it?!  That is cute.  Happy belated Father's Day to you fellas. 

I did a nice bike ride on Saturday, took Sunday off to pamper my hubby, and a good long run this morning.  I also worked in 18 holes of golf.  The old man and the kids had the cart and I huffed around the course with my pull cart.  I have dumped my entire bag of clubs too many times when I carry them myself that now I resort to the old lady pull gizmo.    Great weekend!

2012-06-18 12:06 PM

Happy Monday to all!  Great weather here in NY.  

Last night I 'treated' myself to a 1.5 hour ride on my indoor bike.  It was a good ride.  Instead of putting the hammer down (ie. 20-21mph), I read the weekend newspapers (yes, I still receive actual paper copies of them...) and maintained an 18.5ish mph pace.  It was still a good workout nonetheless.  

Hope to get to the pool tonight.  We'll see.  Sort of feel the need to 'redeem' myself from last Thursday's swim.  Last Thursday's swim felt labored.  It wasn't that slow per se, but it wasn't that smooth either.  So hopefully tonight will go better.

First race of the season is probably next Sunday.  It's an oly distance race that I've done two times already.  I haven't signed-up for it yet...I'll make the 'game time' decision sometime on Friday.  I soft circled this race earlier this year, so we'll see.  I'm leading towards yes, but it'll depend on how my body is feeling towards the end of the week.  

BTW, I hope everyone on the DL is healing and getting better fast!

2012-06-19 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran

I did a nice Brick this morning.  First, 20 miles on the Bike at Larchmont's Newspaper reading pace - which is decidedly faster than reading pace for me.  Wink  Then 2 miles running at GA pace - 2 miles only because that's all I had time for.

To help promote a healthy lifestyle and to encourage some weight loss, my company is sponsoring a Summer walking program, called "Walk 10,000 Steps a Day".  They have given out pedometers that we wear all day long and then we log our daily Steps on an Internet database.  They total up and average out the steps per week and keep track of the stores/districts/offices who are leading and so forth.

For those who are active in other ways, they have an equivalency table:  for example casual biking gets 200 steps per minute biked, moderate biking 250, and strenuous biking 300.  So, from my moderate Biking this morning I got 16,658 steps, plus 3,103 for the 2 mile run (1 step running equals 1 step walking), plus other walking getting ready for work, etc. I already have over 20,000 Steps for today (as of 8:15 AM).

Bill

2012-06-20 10:09 AM

Hey all.  It's going to be a hot couple of days here in NY.  Heat index upto 100 today and likely a few degrees hotter tomorrow.  With an oly distance race on Sunday, I have to taper a bit anyway, so this "too hot for training" weather is fine with me.

BTW, I've decided to do that oly distance race on Sunday morning.  I'm getting excited about it - first race of the season for me!  Overall, I feel pretty good...a few aches and pains here and there, but I think I'm well prepared for Sunday, other than I need to get some rest.  I'm still behind on sleep from the past few weeks...

Hope everyone is doing well out there.  

Happy Wednesday.

2012-06-20 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Brian - first day of summer is rolling in the heat it seems.  Good luck with your race this weekend.

I did some hill workouts on my bike this morning for an hour and then transitioned into a half hour run.  Hills always make me humble, but the running felt pretty good.  I had a funny encounter with a wild turkey on one of the hills.  No, not the Wild Turkey from a whiskey bottle - this was a real live gobbler.  For some reason, he darted out of the brush to cross the road right as I was coming up at about 10 mph, breathing hard, and he darted and dashed like he couldn't figure which way I was going.  It was kind of comical watching him.

Happy trails, Turkeys!

2012-06-21 4:38 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hey Brian, I'm just down the road(ish) from you in Philly, so we have the same hot weather as you for the end of the week.

Quiet week here in my house -- all of my kids are off at camp this week, so I'm getting lots of good training in! 70 mile bike for me yesterday. I tried a new pair of compression "arm coolers" on the ride yesterday, and I think they might actually help a little bit....

For anyone who might be interested, here is my race report from last weekend's HIM. Reader's digest version - my best HIM race yet. The swim was a bit disappointing (at about the half-way point of the swim I sort of got into the "zone" and wasn't paying attention/sighting enough and got WAY off course, costing me some time....), but I felt like I paced the bike and run perfectly, which was really my primary goal. I'm sure it didn't hurt that the weather was about perfect, especially for the run. I've had a tendency to over-cook the bike and then fade on the run, and this time I felt like I had a solid bike effort, but left enough in the tank for a good run. I practiced what will be my IM strategy of walking the aid stations on the run, and that worked out well. I can only hope that I can pace my full IM race as well as I did this HIM... I'm sure it will be a lot hotter in NYC in August, and I will need to dial everything back a little more for a day that will be more than 2X as long.... Hard to believe I have less than 2 months of training left before the big day - that sounds way too close!!
2012-06-21 7:49 AM

User image

Veteran

Very nice HIM Jenny!  I may try one of those next year.  I could probably hang with you on the Bike and the Run.  But you would sink my sorry behind on the Swim!

I ran a 6 mile Wave Run this morning with miles 3 and 5 at Tempo pace.  I was not at all sure how fast I'd be able to run these - not having run hard(er) in 2 or 3 months - but all in all it went pretty well.  7:50-ish for the Tempos.  But it was definitely too warm and sticky this morning.  Even after showering I was still sweating.  So I sat around in my jean shorts and waited till I cooled down completely before putting on the work clothes.  (I hate sweating in work clothes).

Today is my Last Day of the Decade of the 50's.  Tomorrow I start the 60's.  Hard to believe.  Where do the Years go?  I feel about 45 physically and about 35 mentally.  (My wife would dispute the latter.)

Bill

2012-06-21 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Bill - Happy pre-birthday!  I turned 44 on Saturday and got id'd going into a bar on Monday evening so the number on the calendar is just a number, right?  I know, what was I doing in a bar on a Monday!!

Jenny - awesome race.  Tell me what you mean by "the power meter" on your bike leg.  I understand the HR zone, but is there another measure of effort?

I ran my steady 6 mile loop this morning.  I am headed to the pool this afternoon.  My recent OWS have been discouraging so I want to do just plain swimming staring at the line on the bottom of the pool to find a zone and see what that feels like again.

2012-06-21 1:44 PM

Going to a bar on a Monday evening....no explanation needed.  We've all been there.  But getting carded, congrats!  

2012-06-21 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4273768

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
jaykayjay - 2012-06-21 2:13

Bill - Happy pre-birthday!  I turned 44 on Saturday and got id'd going into a bar on Monday evening so the number on the calendar is just a number, right?  I know, what was I doing in a bar on a Monday!!

Jenny - awesome race.  Tell me what you mean by "the power meter" on your bike leg.  I understand the HR zone, but is there another measure of effort?

I ran my steady 6 mile loop this morning.  I am headed to the pool this afternoon.  My recent OWS have been discouraging so I want to do just plain swimming staring at the line on the bottom of the pool to find a zone and see what that feels like again.

Yes, a power meter is another measure of how hard you're working on the bike. Power is measured in Watts produced. There are a number of power measurement devices available for cycling, the most common are the Powertap, which measures power with a strain gauge in the hub of the rear wheel, and Quark or SRM, which measure power at the crank. There are a few others out there, but these are probably the most common. The nice thing about power is that it responds more quickly than heart rate.... You may have noticed if you increase or back off your effort and you're following the numbers on your heart rate monitor, it takes a little bit before your heart rate "catches up" to your effort. Power responds immediately.... It's a very effective training tool for cycling and for race pacing, but they ARE a bit on the expensive side...
2012-06-22 1:37 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
ooof.... Tough run this morning.... not sure if it was the heat, accumulated fatigue, or a combination. Had planned on running 12-ish miles, but ended up aborting after about 8. I was feeling pretty crappy and figured it was better to just call it a day and get some rest. Headed off to pick up kids from camp this afternoon.

Happy training, all!
2012-06-22 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4275711

User image

Veteran

jsnowash - 2012-06-22 2:37 PM ooof.... Tough run this morning.... not sure if it was the heat, accumulated fatigue, or a combination. Had planned on running 12-ish miles, but ended up aborting after about 8. I was feeling pretty crappy and figured it was better to just call it a day and get some rest. Headed off to pick up kids from camp this afternoon. Happy training, all!

Probably both.  Heat takes a good two weeks or so to acclimate to if you're not used to it.  Heat is the enemy of running.

And they say it takes about one day per mile raced to fully recovery from a Running Race.  I don't know how that holds up in Triathlon's - 70.3 days is a LONG time to recover.  But still, you gotta be worn out from the HIM.  Take it really easy for a few more days and you'll be good to go.

Bill

Edited by breger1 2012-06-22 3:15 PM
2012-06-22 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Did my pool swimming last night.  Kind of a relief to be in the relative safety of the pool - although I say that hesitantly because now I can see the bottom, I also see exactly what the summer pool swimming kids have left behind by way of debris.  Ewww.....

Just to prove to myself that I could, I swam my race distance twice without stopping at the wall or breaking into a different stroke.  So the gasping freak out in the open water is just in my noggin'.  I think it is helpful for me to know that I can swim that far without stopping or touching bottom.  

Nice bike ride early this morning.  It was kind of cool entering my work outs on the training log to observe that I did all three disciplines each for an hour within a 24 hour period - all with pretty good intensity.  My one day triathlon.  Now to just break down the 10 hour transitions between the 3 into what, say 2 minutes?!  No problem.

Have a great weekend!

2012-06-25 9:56 AM

Hey all, happy Monday!

Here's a short recap of my oly distance race yesterday.  Overall, it went really well.  I was fairly happy with my time - I set a PR, so that was good.  The swim leg went well.  The temperature of the water was really nice (esp. since I don't swim with a wetsuit), and the start wasn't too chaotic, though I got kicked and hit a few times throughout the race.  I beat last year's time by a minute and a half.  Bike leg went well - beat last year's time.  The last two miles are uphill - not Tour de France style hills, but uphill nonetheless.  I did decently well, but my legs were just about empty by the time I crested the final hill.  The run was ok and was faster than last year's time, though I was hoping to go even faster.  Oh well, I still set a PR, so I can't complain.  

So long story short, it was a good day out.  I got a good test of my fitness with this race.  Let's just say that I will be incorporating more long distance bike/run bricks in my training plan.

I hope everyone is having a good day.  

2012-06-26 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Brian - great job on your Oly race.  A PR is awesome and improving your time in every leg is something to brag about.  All those late nights on the dreadmill and sweating on your trainer paid off!  You also have the added benefit of catching up on your reading and knowing all the movie titles!

Montana has had several days of wind and very hot weather.  My temperature guage read 109 degrees yesterday afternoon with the wind blowing like crazy - really ugly and dry.  I did early morning runs to try and avoid the heat and not take the brunt of the wind on my bike.  Ugh.

I had an interesting swim on Sunday.  The pool I use has lap swimming for an hour and then open pool for kids for two hours.  I finished my laps with the kids lined up on the edge in goggles and water wings watching me waiting to pounce!  Pretty cute.  My kids came and joined the fun so I stayed in the water another 2 hours, but I put on one of those running belt things to play with the kids.  It certainly wasn't swimming, but I got a little extra workout that's for sure.  Oh, and prune feet and fingers, too!

Stay cool!

2012-06-27 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Heat must have everyone a little sluggish.  It was a record breaking 111 degrees here yesterday with wildfires burning in the area so hazy and smokey.  I stayed indoors and rode on my trainer with my fan.  Hey, that's kind of like resistance, right?!  I am going to tackle another OWS sometime this week, but just waiting to get enough time together.

Happy training.

2012-06-27 2:09 PM

@Janette - Thanks.  It was a great day out, and you're right, anytime you can set a PR, it's a very good day.  

BTW, our group seems really quiet, doesn't it?  Hope everyone is doing well.

As for me, I've taken a couple of days off after my race...but tonight it's time to get back in the saddle, figuratively and literally.  Planning for a 1.5 hr - 2hr indoor bike ride tonight.  Movie selection, probably "Fast Five", the latest installment of the "Fast and Furious" series.  

Next race is less than 3 weeks away, and it's a HIM.  Game on!

2012-06-27 5:18 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Entering the home stretch for IM training - a little over 6 weeks to go, and now things really start to pick up.

80 mile ride for me today. Weather was very nice - but the heat comes back tomorrow - glad I got my long ride & long run in earlier in the week this week!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny (jsnowash)'s Spring Guinea Pig Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23