of 41

2013-01-30 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4550197

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: RFP GROUP 2013 - CLOSED

Good Morning Team.

Tim - I am doing a more advance plan - built it on BT but spruced it up a little. Sorry to hear about the band member quiting and I certainly can relate to the busy work schedule right now. I am also sorry to hear about the med findings but the good news is it is early, they found it, you are healthy and plan on living a healthy lifestyle so I am sure you can do all you have to to stay healthy. I guess that is why we take those tests.

Simone, good luck with the entry today - we are all pulling for you.

1500 in the pool today, loved it. Real warm here for one more day so I am going to try and get a little run in later this afternoon.

Have a great day team and stay safe.

KC

2013-01-30 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Everyone!

Tim, sorry to hear about your medical scare, you caught it early and that is the good thing. Hope you find a new band member soon.

KC, I was wondering if I should go ahead and sign up to volunteer for IMLP. I just hate taking someones place if they can go and I am not a 100% sure I can.  I will think it over.

Simone,  good luck with your registration.  I will be on pins and needles waiting to hear you got in, so you better let us know ASAP.  

Right now it looks like my husband will go work for himself.  Not entirely comfortable with this but his is good at selling and he will be calling on past clients who know him and respect him so that should help.  Now we are just working thru the logistic of setting up the company.  Yuck!

Kathy (KTC)

2013-01-30 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4600434

User image

KC- I am doing Muncie....DC
2013-01-30 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI

I hope everyone is having a glorious day!  Ice/snowstorm here which caused a change in workout plans for today!  Semper Gumby!

Did a 30 minute time trial in class yesterday.  Love and hate them all at the same time.  Some improvement from last time.

Thanks for the information KC!  My plan is now 28 weeks with a 4 week prep period that started Monday.  I also cut the volume back somewhat based on Friel's ATP formulas.  Eliminated a Half Iron race based on information in the book Going Long.  Race simulation workouts will be something new this time.  Now I just have to decide if I want 2 build periods or just 1 and repeat Base 3.

How does everyone feel about sodium replacement?  Lots of reading lately where the experts don't think it is necessary unless you overhydrate.  Your body has plenty of sodium built up due to our diet.  Taking the caps is good insurance as far as I am concerned.  Also interesting that a lot of hydration planning is now based on thirst.  I was always told that if you wait until you are thirsty it is too late. 

Simone-smart to live to fight another day!  Hard decision but the right one.

2013-01-30 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4601581

User image

Expert

I think it depends on your normal sodium intake.  I never use salt and don't et very high sodium foods so I find that during long endurance events I need to supplement.  Honestly I think hydration and nutrition plans are so custom to the individual that it is hard to gauge by "what everyone is saying".  Waiting until you are thirsty is a bad choice in my book but then again that is just for me.  Just keep trying stuff until it works especially since you had issues in your previous IM's right?

retiretotri - 2013-01-30 1:00 PM

How does everyone feel about sodium replacement?  Lots of reading lately where the experts don't think it is necessary unless you overhydrate.  Your body has plenty of sodium built up due to our diet.  Taking the caps is good insurance as far as I am concerned.  Also interesting that a lot of hydration planning is now based on thirst.  I was always told that if you wait until you are thirsty it is too late. 

Simone-smart to live to fight another day!  Hard decision but the right one.

2013-01-30 5:36 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Evening Team.

Got my run in tonight - just 5km but I have not had the Newtons on since before I was sick, so  swim and a run for me today - and it felt great.

KTC - sign up - don't worry you wont be taking someones spot.

Dennis - see you in Muncie - I have not signed up yet but I have it on the schedule.

Lori- I am like Tim, I do not put salt in or on anything I eat. I took the salt lick pills for NYC.

Simone - POST when you get your entry in - so pumped for you.

Thats it for me team - back in the pool early tomorrow

2013-01-30 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

I am now officially registered for Ironman 70.3 Shepparton!!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!

It was touch and go there for a few minutes, cause the page timed out on me and I had to go back to the start and re input everything! Haha, but I'm in and I am so freakin' happy! I cannot wait to race, in fact I'm going for a drive to Shep on the weekend to scope out the course!

Hope everyone else is having a great a day as me! Laughing

Edit: Oh I forgot I have a question for those of you who have already done a 70.3...

How early should I get there before the event? I was thinking of arriving on the Thursday morning, is that enough time to organise everything and have a decent rest, or should I make it Wednesday? Just trying to work out accomodation.

Edited by kruzmeister 2013-01-30 7:57 PM
2013-01-30 8:21 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Congrats Simone-that is awesome. What's the dates so I can put it in my phone? I think getting there Thursday is plenty of time.

KC
2013-01-30 10:16 PM

User image

Chicago

Hello Team,

I have been taking a computrainer class since last November and it has really helped with my power. We do a lot of intervals for over an hour and a half and it has really improved my cycling. This is the first time that I have taken a class like this and now I feel like I'm hooked for life. What really helps is riding with people that have the same interest as you and every one motivates each other.

I have also been working on my swimming. Forcing myself to breathe on both sides is beginning to pay off. The fact that I am sticking with intervals instead of going out there and doing 1000 yrds without stopping I believe has also helped. I can also tell that I'm getting faster per 100 yrds.

Simone - glad to hear that you are registered! WOW! Best of luck.

Tim - Hang in there Tim. Your health is the most important thing and I believe you will do everything to stay in great health.

Kathy - Good luck with the start up business.

BTW, this group is way more advanced than me with most topics like nutrition, salt intake, ect. ect. but I enjoy reading everyone's take on these issues.

2013-01-31 2:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

KTC - I hope you get all the business stuff organised and up and running. I'm sure Paul will do an amazing job.

KC - Shep 70.3 is on the 17th of November, I'm going to book my accomodation tomorrow. Oh and I finally got to sign up to volunteer on race day at IMOZ in May, excited about that too!!!

Gil - Great job with the training and the breathing! I was the same when I started back in the pool, I forced myself to breath both sides, just went really slow to start with, but it all clicked eventually. I think its a good thing to do in case your open water swim is in the ocean, you can swap sides to avoid getting smacked in the face by the swell.

Also I am a complete novice too, so don't feel like you are the only one! That is what is so great about this team, everyone encourages and supports each other and we get to learn a lot more and figure out our race issues before we get there. I'm like a sponge in here and soak up as much knowledge as I can! lol!

Had a great session in the gym again today, the achilles is coming along slowly, and as much as I want to run, I'm still giving it another 2 weeks and will start back slowly again. Trying out a new long ride on Saturday, cannot wait!

Hope everyone has a great Friday and an even better weekend!

2013-01-31 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Simone - that is awesome that you're officially registered for your first HIM!  so excited for you!!  i'm glad to hear your achilles is starting to feel better and you're feeling like your old "warrior" self again!

Pierce - i'm psyched for you too, that you have signed up for your first tri.  it will be such a great experience, i'm sure!

tim and KC - i hope things calm down on the work-front soon!  sounds like you are both swamped!

and i'm sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis, tim.    i hope you and your providers can come up with a good plan for you to keep any serious symptoms at bay and keep you healthy.

gil - that is great that you're seeing improvements in your computrainer class.  i want to take one of those classes sometime, they sound like an excellent way to train on the bike in the off-season - i love the social aspect of it - beats sitting on my trainer alone in my basement!

lori - i have never used sodium replacement since i have yet to "go long"!  i have only done sprint tris and half marathons so far.

KTC - good luck with starting your husband's company.  that is exciting!  (although i'm sure stressful and scary at the same time)  i'm sure all his/your hard work will pay off in the end!

2013-01-31 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4602065

User image

Expert

Congrats Simone!  You are gonna do awesome.  Getting there Wednesday seems really early and I would drive myself nuts haha.  Is the race on Saturday or Sunday?

For my first 70.3 in Branson, MO I ended up playing a huge fest in downtown Chicago on Friday night.  Had my bike with me backstage and the family also in tow.  After the show at about 10:30pm we jumped in the car and headed out for the 8 hour drive.  We stopped in St. Louis at about 3am and got a hotel.  Got up at 8am and got into Branson around noon.  had just enough time to register and get to T1 and T2 all the way on the other side of town.  I didn't fianlly get to rest until about 7pm that night -ugh

For Racine 70.3 I messed up the times so i showed up in the morning at 6:28am thinking transition closed at 6:45 only to hear the announcer say transition closes in 2 MINUTES!!! I ended up getting everything set but my HR was higher during that time then it got over the whole race haha.

Moral of the story....I am not the person you should be asking about having extra time before a race and when you should get there haha.  When you see that frantic guy running back to get something before a race - THAT IS ME -EVERY RACE haha

kruzmeister - 2013-01-30 7:37 PM

How early should I get there before the event? I was thinking of arriving on the Thursday morning, is that enough time to organise everything and have a decent rest, or should I make it Wednesday? Just trying to work out accomodation.

2013-01-31 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4602239

User image

Expert

Nice work on the swimming Gil.  Intervals work is definitely the way to go with swim training and then every other week throw in a long continuous swim to build that endurance.  Everything I have read and experienced show that those long swims actually don't really do much for you and actually can cause injury if you do it all the time.  They are great for confidence though and to use as a gauge on your improvement.

When you say breathing on both sides are you doing the 3-stroke breath or are you doing the 2 stroke and just switching sides?  Either way getting comfortable breathing on both sides is a great advantage.

gdelamora - 2013-01-30 10:16 PM

I have also been working on my swimming. Forcing myself to breathe on both sides is beginning to pay off. The fact that I am sticking with intervals instead of going out there and doing 1000 yrds without stopping I believe has also helped. I can also tell that I'm getting faster per 100 yrds.

Edited by tmoran80 2013-01-31 8:59 AM
2013-01-31 9:07 AM

User image

Expert

Thanks to everyone and your concern on my health issue.  The one thing I forgot to mention was that the doctor said there is really nothing he can do now which was frustrating.  He recommended some natural remedy anti-inflammatory stuff - but other than that I will just have to wait and see how my body reacts and which way it goes.

My wife is convinced that what triggered the inflammation of the colon was all the endurance nutrition stuff I took during my IM training all last year.  I pretty much was drinking 32 oz. of lemon-lime Perform and taking 1-2 servings of Hammer Gel day.  Then on my long workouts I would consume a whole bunch of everything (perform, Perpetuem, Hammer Gels, Endurolytes, Combos pretzels haha).  I tend to disagree since Chrones is an auto immune disease and they don't really know what causes it. But it does make me wonder a little bit. 

If anything I would blame the Cheddar Cheese Combo's the mostLaughing

2013-01-31 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Sorry I've been MIA. Things got a little busy at home, but I think it's settled down a bit now, so I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.

Tim - sorry to hear about the diagnosis. That sucks.

Simone - So happy for you!

KTC - you won't be taking anyone's spot. Sign up and join us if you can!

KC - are you going with the same plan for IMMT? Also, are you at all familiar with the area? I need to find to find somewhere to stay that isn't outrageous.

Kristen - are you planning on going to Tri Mania? They just announced 'Rinny' as a keynote speaker.
2013-01-31 9:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Forgot to add - Simone, you should be fine with Thurs am for accommodation. I'm planning on the same thing for placid. Arrive Thursday, race Sunday, leave Monday. I don't feel the need to be there any sooner, and it's more $ out of my pocket for an extra hotel night.

2013-01-31 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4602708

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Yes, just registered!!  Are you going???

cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-01-31 10:39 AM

Kristen - are you planning on going to Tri Mania? They just announced 'Rinny' as a keynote speaker.

2013-01-31 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Yes!! I've gone the last few years. I really enjoyed hearing Mark Allen last year. I met Dave Scott the year before that. It was a little awkward though lol
2013-01-31 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4602626

User image

Chicago

Tim - I doing the 3 stroke per breath. I'm also learning how to hold my breath longer. I'm targeting a June Olympic Tri but I havn't decided on one yet.

tmoran80 - 2013-01-31 8:58 AM

Nice work on the swimming Gil.  Intervals work is definitely the way to go with swim training and then every other week throw in a long continuous swim to build that endurance.  Everything I have read and experienced show that those long swims actually don't really do much for you and actually can cause injury if you do it all the time.  They are great for confidence though and to use as a gauge on your improvement.

When you say breathing on both sides are you doing the 3-stroke breath or are you doing the 2 stroke and just switching sides?  Either way getting comfortable breathing on both sides is a great advantage.

gdelamora - 2013-01-30 10:16 PM

2013-01-31 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4603006

User image

Expert

How long are you able to maintain the 3 stroke for? I can go about 200 yards continuous max and then I start struggling for air and lose form and go back to my old 2-stroke breathing.

One thing to keep in mind for your race and something you might want to practice is to remember that your adrenaline and heart rate are going crazy for the first few 100 yards.  I would suggest the 2-stroke breathing until you get settled in and calmed down then switch into your 3 stroke.  Otherwise you might struggle a bit right off the bat which would not be helpful for the rest of the swim.  you can practice it by doing 100Y really hard and fast then just ease into the 3-stroke for about 200-300 yards.  Good simulation to see how you adjust. Or you can practice like this guy does - Clif Bar Triathlon Start Video

gdelamora - 2013-01-31 12:10 PM

Tim - I doing the 3 stroke per breath. I'm also learning how to hold my breath longer. I'm targeting a June Olympic Tri but I havn't decided on one yet.

2013-01-31 12:33 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Team.

Just had a couple of minutes at work to check in and say hello.

Deb - I don't know anything about the area for IM MTB - I understand it is very nice however. Sorry I could not be as much help as you were for me in LP. I am using a plan I built on BT - I did that last year as well but this one is a bit tougher - I have different goals in mind this time.

Gil - keep up the good work swimming - I agree with everything Tim says. One think you say that I don't like to hear is that you are practicing holding your breath. I would suggest that holding your breath is what will make you out of breath. One of hte toughest things I had to learn when I started swimming was expeling my air continously when my face in in the water so when it is time to breath I have room for fresh air in my lungs.

Have a great day everyone.

KC

2013-01-31 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Everyone!

Deb - good to see you back.  

Simone - we are all excited for you and can't wait for you to cross that HIM finish line!  

Gil - I swim taking a breath every 3 strokes.  I use to practice that way and then race every two.  I am now comfortable doing every 3 racing.  In fact my coach has me every once in awhile breath every 5th or 7th stroke for those crazy starts.  Do what feels right for you.  Also my coach has me saying long, strong, stroke  it is my mantra I guess.

Lori - I do not salt my food nor do I use sodium replacements.  That is why I like the Infinite drink mix on the bike as it has the right sodium mix in it and for the run I get it from the gels, and such.  

Kristina - when you say you are doing the computrainer are you just talking about spinning on a trainer or is this something else?

Tim - I hope all those sports drinks and wasn't the cause of your problem otherwise we all could be in trouble.  

Thanks everyone for our well wishes for my hubby's new adventure.  It is still a work in progress and will be awhile before he is actually up and running.

Kathy (KTC)

2013-01-31 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

For those of us who has experienced fogged goggles, here is a trick that I learned and has worked for me.

Take your goggles and spit in them, once you got your spit in the goggles take your tongue and move the spit all around and then rinse your goggles and you will be good to go.  

I know it sounds gross but it works!  I learned this trick from a swimmer and elite triathlete and she works for a tri store and she told us that we could spend money on a product that might work or we could just use our spit for free and know it will work.

Happy spitting.  

2013-01-31 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4603116

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

I have not taken a computrainer class yet, but have considered it.  I think Gil is the one currently taking one.  I've heard great things about those classes. 

I'm currently either riding my own bike on a KK trainer in the basement or riding a Keiser bike (like the spin bikes).

-Kristen

krazytallchick - 2013-01-31 2:16 PM

Kristina - when you say you are doing the computrainer are you just talking about spinning on a trainer or is this something else?

2013-01-31 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I take a computrainer class. Our local Y has 6 stations for them. Beats being on the trainer at home with no feedback!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RFP GROUP 2013 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41