BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2013-02-20 7:28 PM
in reply to: #4629713

Subject: RE: mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING
smartine - 2013-02-20 7:58 AM

A completely unrelated question now. I am using the 20 week Olympic training schedule from this site to get ready for a race in May. This is a simple volume builder program. Definitely what I need for swimming, welcome on the bike but perhaps not for the running part.

Last week during one of the short runs I decided to push it a bit for 1km. Running fast felt awkward. It seemed as if my body forgot how to do it. I assume that's because I've been training exclusively in zone 2 for a while.

My end goal is to train up to half ironman distance this summer and at the end of the year. What are your thoughts on making my run workouts more challenging by implementing speedwork and training in zones above zone 2 ?

I have used training schedules from My Asics with success and am now contemplating generating one that will set me up for a decent half marathon in August.

Excellent question, smartine!  Not one that I have an answer for, but definitely one that I'd like to learn more about.  I think you and I are in the same boat in that sense.  Good job on your swimming improvement.  14 minutes to 12.5 minutes is much more than a "slight improvement"!  Enjoy the steep learning curve while it lasts!

2013-02-20 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4624800

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING

smartine - 2013-02-16 7:00 AM Picked up my racepack for next Sunday's aquathlon (Feb 25). First race of the year!

It's a 750m swim and a 5km run. I was happy to see that the swim requires a short beach run halfway. Significantly increases my odds of survival :-)

Next week is also a recovery week in my training schedule so should arrive well rested at the start. Plan is to take it real easy on the swim and push a bit harder during the run.

Any wise words of advice for a first time swimmer?

Hey Max, awesome news!  Is this an open water ocean swim?

My first advice- have you been swimming a lot?  If so, don't throttle back on the swim.  An aquathlon of the distance you are doing is pretty fast.  You don't want to get to the 2.5 mile point in the run and say "I could have pushed harder".

Is the swim a mass start?  

Sorry, I've been slacking in all areas of my life lately (other than being a parent) so I'm derelict in my duty here.

2013-02-20 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4623128

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

stevesflyshop - 2013-02-14 8:29 PM Did my first Yoga workout tonight. Thank goodness it was only half a session and the instructor had a date. I'm not sure I would have survived a full hour. On the bright side I have the corpse pose perfected!

LMAO.  I hear that all the time in my yoga classes "is it time for Shavasana yet"????  I love corpse pose too... most important pose in all of yoga

2013-02-20 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4629713

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
smartine - 2013-02-20 6:58 AM

A completely unrelated question now. I am using the 20 week Olympic training schedule from this site to get ready for a race in May. This is a simple volume builder program. Definitely what I need for swimming, welcome on the bike but perhaps not for the running part.

Last week during one of the short runs I decided to push it a bit for 1km. Running fast felt awkward. It seemed as if my body forgot how to do it. I assume that's because I've been training exclusively in zone 2 for a while.

My end goal is to train up to half ironman distance this summer and at the end of the year. What are your thoughts on making my run workouts more challenging by implementing speedwork and training in zones above zone 2 ?

I have used training schedules from My Asics with success and am now contemplating generating one that will set me up for a decent half marathon in August.

Hey Max, I think adding in a day of speedwork won't hurt you.  Just don't push more than the normal volume the training plan calls for.  How experienced are you as a runner again?

2013-02-20 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4629705

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
smartine - 2013-02-20 6:51 AM

smartine - 2013-01-22 9:50 PM Did not set out to do a time trial, but I felt pretty rested and since it was a short workout anyway I went 'hard' for 500m: 13m57s

500m in 12m28s today. So a slight improvement.

Still not very confident to complete the 750m this weekend during the aquathlon in a smooth way, but fears about not finishing have been put to rest.

One thing I am quite happy about is that today for the first time my watch effectively recognized my full workout as being swum in freestyle. No longer blocks of breast or back stroke. Could it be it's finally clicking ?

Max, 12:28 for 500m is a  huge improvement!  That's awesome!  Yes, I think it's safe to say you are "clicking" with swimming.

2013-02-20 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4630838

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Jenheaslip - 2013-02-20 6:08 PM

Question Matt, or anyone with advice Smile I love my new running shoes but am having trouble with blisters. I think my shoes are too tight at the toes and I plan to re-lace them tonight. I have had a blister on my right foot on the side of a toe and it won't go away. It hasn't gotten really bad, but it's always there.

Today after my run I had a blister on my other foot underneath a nail. The nail had been trimmed back further than normal and I think that was the problem - but this one is pretty painful.

So how do you treat blisters or get rid of them? And do you think too-tight shoes are the problem? Before when I ran I was having knee pain all the time, even at 3 miles, but I've done 17 runs with the new shoes up to 10 miles and only hurt once - so I don't want to give them up and I think all the extra cushioning is really working. But these blisters are a pain in the butt.

Jen, are you running in new shoes or socks?  Sounds like your socks could be the culprit.  Did you recently increase mileage?  Not to be pushing product, but the New Skin liquid bandage is made for blisters.  I use it all the time.  It burns like hell going on, but you won't feel the blisters after it goes on.  It lasts a few days too.  I'll send you a bottle to try out.  I think I have your address already, don't I?

2013-02-20 7:43 PM
in reply to: #4630838

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Jenheaslip - 2013-02-20 7:08 PM

Question Matt, or anyone with advice Smile I love my new running shoes but am having trouble with blisters. I think my shoes are too tight at the toes and I plan to re-lace them tonight. I have had a blister on my right foot on the side of a toe and it won't go away. It hasn't gotten really bad, but it's always there.

Today after my run I had a blister on my other foot underneath a nail. The nail had been trimmed back further than normal and I think that was the problem - but this one is pretty painful.

So how do you treat blisters or get rid of them? And do you think too-tight shoes are the problem? Before when I ran I was having knee pain all the time, even at 3 miles, but I've done 17 runs with the new shoes up to 10 miles and only hurt once - so I don't want to give them up and I think all the extra cushioning is really working. But these blisters are a pain in the butt.

Most blisters are created due to moisture and friction. Running shoes generally speaking should be sized one full size up from dress shoes. Plenty of room at top of shoe. Feet flatten out when running so what seems to be just right at a store and what is right when you run are not necessarily the same thing. And do not over tighten the lacesSo if shoes are good then..... Moisture prevention- you want moisture wicking socks. . I use road runner sports thin style house brand. Do not use cotton socks. Socks really matter.If socks are good then.... Friction protect. For long runs or when you already have a blister. Body glide, or vaseline those toes and blisters!
2013-02-20 10:13 PM
in reply to: #4630886

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

mcgilmartin - 2013-02-19 8:40 PM
Jenheaslip - 2013-02-20 6:08 PM

Jen, are you running in new shoes or socks?  Sounds like your socks could be the culprit.  Did you recently increase mileage?  Not to be pushing product, but the New Skin liquid bandage is made for blisters.  I use it all the time.  It burns like hell going on, but you won't feel the blisters after it goes on.  It lasts a few days too.  I'll send you a bottle to try out.  I think I have your address already, don't I?

I think you are right about the socks and increasing my mileage. I have doubled my monthly mileage and the length of my runs. Put that together with cotton socks.... I'd love to try the New Skin, thanks for that. I'll send you my address again just in case.

2013-02-20 10:19 PM
in reply to: #4630892

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
oriolepwr - 2013-02-19 8:43 PM

Most blisters are created due to moisture and friction. Running shoes generally speaking should be sized one full size up from dress shoes. Plenty of room at top of shoe. Feet flatten out when running so what seems to be just right at a store and what is right when you run are not necessarily the same thing. And do not over tighten the lacesSo if shoes are good then..... Moisture prevention- you want moisture wicking socks. . I use road runner sports thin style house brand. Do not use cotton socks. Socks really matter.If socks are good then.... Friction protect. For long runs or when you already have a blister. Body glide, or vaseline those toes and blisters!

My last pair of shoes was a 9, but the guy at the running store checked me out and said that a 9 would be too big. And the 8.5 felt good at the store, but now I wonder if he was wrong. My dress shoes are an 8. Don't think I can take the shoes back now though, so I'm definitely going to try the wicking socks - I was running in cotton, whoops - and loosening the laces. Hopefully that will do it. I never had problems with cotton socks but then again, I never ran more than 5-6 miles either. Also never thought of body glide or Vaseline for feet,that's an easy one to try. Thank you too for the help! 

2013-02-21 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4552506

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Balega socks are the bomb.  They are soft and have a huge amount of cushion.
2013-02-21 7:19 PM
in reply to: #4631043

Extreme Veteran
Jenheaslip - 2013-02-20 11:19 PM
oriolepwr - 2013-02-19 8:43 PM

My last pair of shoes was a 9, but the guy at the running store checked me out and said that a 9 would be too big. And the 8.5 felt good at the store, but now I wonder if he was wrong. My dress shoes are an 8. Don't think I can take the shoes back now though, so I'm definitely going to try the wicking socks - I was running in cotton, whoops - and loosening the laces. Hopefully that will do it. I never had problems with cotton socks but then again, I never ran more than 5-6 miles either. Also never thought of body glide or Vaseline for feet,that's an easy one to try. Thank you too for the help! 

My local running shop will take back shoes for quite some time - you should check it out and see what they say.

2013-02-21 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4630830

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Jenheaslip - 2013-02-20 7:01 PM

I'm probably the last one to say anything about running, but I'm seeing a lot of success in my half marathon plan I think because of the speedwork and tempo runs. It's nice to do some runs just for mileage/endurance but also others at a faster pace and with more intensity. Plus the variety of runs is great. I'd say go for it; I don't think it can hurt to have separate training plans for each sport if you need them.

And great job on the swim!

smartine - 2013-02-19 8:58 AM

I agree.  If you have your run base established,  it would be a good idea to start attaching a goal for each run  (recovery, easy, tempo, speedwork)  

For now, keep most of your runs in Z2, but go ahead and add some speed add times, like the last mile or whatever.   Then maybe once a week  assign one run to be a tempo run,  like to a min/mile or MPH  and get used to that.   

One training concept for running to avoid injury,   is to not increase mileage AND intensity in the same week.   So please keep that in mind.  

So maybe one week you increase distance,  The next week maybe drop a lil distance, but add more speed,  then week 3 just run easy no added speed or distance,  then start all over again.   But sure, add pickups to get your "need for speed" taken care of

Like you said, your body needs to know what different running gears feels like. 

2013-02-24 5:41 AM

So I'm in the market now for clip less pedals and cycling shoes. I've done some research and am leaning towards the shimano dual purpose pedals and the pearl Izumi all road cycling shoe. I wanted a shoe that has a recessed cleat so that I can walk around with them without the click clacking of the cleats against the pavement. I think it's more of a mountain bike combination than a road bike combo. What I haven't been able to figure out is the benefits of having a road bike cleat over a MTB version. It basically does the same thing, but the MTB can be used for small amounts of walking as well, and from what I hear, it's easier to get into and out of the MTB pedals. Is there a reason I should reconsider road specific shoes that I may be overlooking?
2013-02-24 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4634710

Extreme Veteran

DONOR711 - 2013-02-24 6:41 AM So I'm in the market now for clip less pedals and cycling shoes. I've done some research and am leaning towards the shimano dual purpose pedals and the pearl Izumi all road cycling shoe. I wanted a shoe that has a recessed cleat so that I can walk around with them without the click clacking of the cleats against the pavement. I think it's more of a mountain bike combination than a road bike combo. What I haven't been able to figure out is the benefits of having a road bike cleat over a MTB version. It basically does the same thing, but the MTB can be used for small amounts of walking as well, and from what I hear, it's easier to get into and out of the MTB pedals. Is there a reason I should reconsider road specific shoes that I may be overlooking?

I was thinking the same thing and the unsupported assertion I found was that road cleats are bigger and spread the pressure out over your foot more.  So, in theory, for longer rides, a road cleat would be more comfortable.  I hated walking into convenience stores in my roadie shoes not for the noise, but because I'd slip and look foolish (not that the spandex didn't help that), but I already had shoes and did not think the difference warranted paying extra.

2013-02-24 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4634895

bwingate - 2013-02-24 11:34 AM

DONOR711 - 2013-02-24 6:41 AM So I'm in the market now for clip less pedals and cycling shoes. I've done some research and am leaning towards the shimano dual purpose pedals and the pearl Izumi all road cycling shoe. I wanted a shoe that has a recessed cleat so that I can walk around with them without the click clacking of the cleats against the pavement. I think it's more of a mountain bike combination than a road bike combo. What I haven't been able to figure out is the benefits of having a road bike cleat over a MTB version. It basically does the same thing, but the MTB can be used for small amounts of walking as well, and from what I hear, it's easier to get into and out of the MTB pedals. Is there a reason I should reconsider road specific shoes that I may be overlooking?

I was thinking the same thing and the unsupported assertion I found was that road cleats are bigger and spread the pressure out over your foot more.  So, in theory, for longer rides, a road cleat would be more comfortable.  I hated walking into convenience stores in my roadie shoes not for the noise, but because I'd slip and look foolish (not that the spandex didn't help that), but I already had shoes and did not think the difference warranted paying extra.

Thanks for the info on road cycling shoes. I think for my level as a beginner, I'm better off getting the recessed cleat. It's funny you mentioned the spandex. I was thinking the same thing. The tight cycling pants already makes me feel like a ballerina. Adding shoes that make a tapping sound with every step would really feel silly! I'm sure it takes some time to get used to it.
2013-02-24 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4634710

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Don, Speedplay also makes a really great cleat.  You can buy covers for them and they make walking easier.  I do think that you might regret the mountain shoes when the summer months come rolling around.  MTB shoes are great for walking in, but I don't know if the added pressure on your feet will warrant the benefit.  You can also look for shoes with a rubberized heel that make walking a tad easier.  Pearl Izumi is a great brand though, you'll be very happy.

2013-02-25 7:53 AM

New user
Singapore

Sorry for the late reply, everyone.

Martin, I have been swimming 3 times per week consistently over the past two months. Definitely not planning on backing off.

I have let My Asics generate a new training schedule for me based on two runs per week. It should get me ready for a 1h38 half marathon by August. I picked up running last year. Did two half marathons and trained hard for the NY marathon which unfortunately did not take place. Based on my training times I was targeting a sub 4h finish with a silent hope of breaking 3h45 with the help of a more forgiving climate than the Singaporean one.

Yesterday was the aquathlon (750m swim + 5km run).I finished in 41:22 with an 18:12 swim, 2:12 transition and a 20:57 run. Finished 200th out of 860.

Swim was in a sheltered bay with only small waves. I started at the back and let everyone get in before I got going. After 200m my goggles got knocked off and shortly after I was seriously contemplating giving up. I turned on my back and found my composure back after 10 seconds. Was fine after. Never pushed hard and tried to swim as relaxed as possible, saving my energy for the run.

Transition was ok. I had pinned my bib to my shirt beforehand which got ripped off as I put it on. This cost me a bit of time.

Run was very good. I settled into a decent pace straight away and managed to sustain it perfectly. There was no shelter from the sun during the last 3km and I slowly started cooking. Tried drinking but only managed a few sips. A friend who started in an earlier wave was waiting 500m before the finish just as I was starting to cave. His cheers spurred me for that final sprint.

All in all a good first race.

2013-02-26 5:46 AM
in reply to: #4635351

mcgilmartin - 2013-02-24 8:55 PM Don, Speedplay also makes a really great cleat.  You can buy covers for them and they make walking easier.  I do think that you might regret the mountain shoes when the summer months come rolling around.  MTB shoes are great for walking in, but I don't know if the added pressure on your feet will warrant the benefit.  You can also look for shoes with a rubberized heel that make walking a tad easier.  Pearl Izumi is a great brand though, you'll be very happy.

Matt, the speedplay looks like really nice cleats.  A bit out of my price range, but I'll keep it in mind when I go pro! I'm curious why you say I may regret mountain shoes in the summer?  Are they generally less comfortable when the weather gets hot, or do mountain bike shoes just put more pressure on your feet?  Also, what is your take on Shimano SPD cleats vs SPD-SL cleats?  

2013-02-26 5:49 AM
in reply to: #4635653

smartine - 2013-02-25 7:53 AM

Martin, I have been swimming 3 times per week consistently over the past two months. Definitely not planning on backing off.

I have let My Asics generate a new training schedule for me based on two runs per week. It should get me ready for a 1h38 half marathon by August. I picked up running last year. Did two half marathons and trained hard for the NY marathon which unfortunately did not take place. Based on my training times I was targeting a sub 4h finish with a silent hope of breaking 3h45 with the help of a more forgiving climate than the Singaporean one.

Yesterday was the aquathlon (750m swim + 5km run).I finished in 41:22 with an 18:12 swim, 2:12 transition and a 20:57 run. Finished 200th out of 860.

Swim was in a sheltered bay with only small waves. I started at the back and let everyone get in before I got going. After 200m my goggles got knocked off and shortly after I was seriously contemplating giving up. I turned on my back and found my composure back after 10 seconds. Was fine after. Never pushed hard and tried to swim as relaxed as possible, saving my energy for the run.

Transition was ok. I had pinned my bib to my shirt beforehand which got ripped off as I put it on. This cost me a bit of time.

Run was very good. I settled into a decent pace straight away and managed to sustain it perfectly. There was no shelter from the sun during the last 3km and I slowly started cooking. Tried drinking but only managed a few sips. A friend who started in an earlier wave was waiting 500m before the finish just as I was starting to cave. His cheers spurred me for that final sprint.

Max, excellent race report.  Congratulations on your strong finish.  

2013-02-26 6:10 PM

New user
Singapore
Thanks, Donald. How is your swimming coming along?
2013-02-26 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4638175

smartine - 2013-02-26 6:10 PM Thanks, Donald. How is your swimming coming along?

It's going great. Thanks for asking.  I just finished the 1-1650 program last week, so I'm able to swim a continuous mile although not very fast.  I finish in around 40 minutes.  Like you, my fears of not being able to complete the distance have diminished.  My last time at the pool, I tried to switch it up and start learning how to breathe on the left side instead of my usual right side only technique.  I pretty much lost all efficiency I've gained over the past few weeks just with this one change.  I'll continue to practice it, to use as a contingency plan in the open water.

Edited by DONOR711 2013-02-26 8:58 PM

2013-02-26 9:01 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Great job! After that swim, still a 20-min 5K! Looks like you had a good strategy on the swim to let people go ahead and swim relaxed. And dealing with the goggles was good experience at least. Thanks for sharing the race report.

smartine - 2013-02-24 8:53 AM

2013-02-27 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4637122

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
DONOR711 - 2013-02-26 4:46 AM

mcgilmartin - 2013-02-24 8:55 PM Don, Speedplay also makes a really great cleat.  You can buy covers for them and they make walking easier.  I do think that you might regret the mountain shoes when the summer months come rolling around.  MTB shoes are great for walking in, but I don't know if the added pressure on your feet will warrant the benefit.  You can also look for shoes with a rubberized heel that make walking a tad easier.  Pearl Izumi is a great brand though, you'll be very happy.

Matt, the speedplay looks like really nice cleats.  A bit out of my price range, but I'll keep it in mind when I go pro! I'm curious why you say I may regret mountain shoes in the summer?  Are they generally less comfortable when the weather gets hot, or do mountain bike shoes just put more pressure on your feet?  Also, what is your take on Shimano SPD cleats vs SPD-SL cleats?  

Don,

They are just bulkier than road shoes.  I say Summer because I'll expect you to be fairly proficient on the bike by then.  You'll also start to get gear envy when everyone is out riding  If you are comfortable, by all means go for the MTB shoes.  I just think you'll find long-term that roadies will be a better investment.

As far as SPD vs. SPD-SL, the SL's are like the evolution of the SPD.  SPD's are great clips.  The SL's mean a little bit bigger contact space with your foot.  Try them both out and see what feels better for you.  I'm pretty sure that the standard SPD's are a little cheaper.  Most spin studios use SPD, too... something to keep in mind if you're going to spin at all.

Matt

2013-02-27 7:38 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
smartine - 2013-02-25 6:53 AM

Max, that's an outstanding effort!!! Congratulations... 20:57 5K?   Amazing!  Job well done!

2013-02-27 11:09 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
smartine - 2013-02-25 7:53 AM

Great work!Also. Ive run several sub 4 hour marathons including NYC. That is a tough course to PR in! There are mobs of international runners that will run side by side like 5-6 wide. Its a wonderful race. Very memorable. Just tough to run to your potential there.With the 1:38. Half mary target. And your 5k time you just ran, No doubt in my mind that you can run under 3:45 for 26.2! Really well within your reach. If you train for the marathon and get your 20 milers in. Sorry for u that NYC was cancelled last year. Such a bummerr
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 23