of 44

2013-06-22 5:46 AM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN

Originally posted by copa2251

David--you should share this with Fatty.  I am sure he would agree.  I am not interested in any challenges right now, but I think it would be great for you given your bike focus.  Me?  I'm trying to keep three sports together and stay positive about each of them!

Mike--I give you a lot of credit for even attempting MTB.  I would be scared to death and it seems to me if you're too cautious that's when you run into issues.

Trev--so glad you, Michelle and the kids are staying dry.  I looked at some of the footage and it is downright scary how fast that river is moving.

Dino???  how did day one go?

2013-06-22 8:26 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Thanks for asking.  In a word, I am "satisfied."  The heavy rain that delayed the start of the whole day stopped right before our race so the roads were really greasy and the course had a couple of roads that were freshly paved.  That will wake you up dodging wheels in corners in a group of 100+ at 25 mph (race avg was 25.3 mph today for 20+ miles).  I finished 12 overall, but think I am sitting in 5th overall in the 45+ Old and Slow age group.

I know I gave up some positions by being conservative, but didn't feel like dealing with any road rash for an entire week.  I had a guy slide out directly in front of me 2 corners before the finish when he went in too hot, and I know I didn't pedal for at least 300 yards while I was mentally processing that.  I still remember getting passed by a couple of guys into the final sprint and asking myself, "Why aren't you pedalling?"  I race bikes for the adrenaline rush.  Yesterday was close to an overdose.  

United Health Care, Jelly Belly, and Predator Carbon Repair Pro teams among others, are all here racing this weekend.  Like in every sport, it is simply amazing how easy the pros make this look.  These guys were pullling at 30+mph for entire laps without looking like they were even laboring.  I going with the fact the roads had dried out really made the difference!  Foot in mouth  

I'd post a picture or  two, but have no clue how to do it with the new format.  9 more days to go.......... (link to results)      

2013-06-22 9:41 AM
in reply to: badgerintx

User image

Master
Maryland
Dino, you are an AMAZING rider. I'm really impressed. I can't imagine being in the middle of any stage races...but they do look like adrenaline rushes!
Congrats on your placing, that is great!!
2013-06-22 7:55 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Great job Dino!!

I was supposed to be doing my first Oly distance triathlon of the season this morning, but managed to pick up a stomach flu of some sort from my sister-in-law.  So, my head is swimming and I'm running between the couch and the bathroom.   On the plus side, that big white saddle is pretty comfortable.

2013-06-22 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Had my first run with the puppy today, he's now just over 12 months old so I thought he should be ok. Beautiful barefoot beach run followed by lots of swimming - him not me!

Well done Dino, I'm too intimidated to cycle with our local bunch, they're all ex or current pros and super fast. They had a crash a few months ago when one of my friends was out with them, apparently one of them stood up to overtake on a steep hill and 5 went down at 40 km/hr, 3 ending up in hospital!
2013-06-23 5:14 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by badgerintx

Thanks for asking.  In a word, I am "satisfied."  The heavy rain that delayed the start of the whole day stopped right before our race so the roads were really greasy and the course had a couple of roads that were freshly paved.  That will wake you up dodging wheels in corners in a group of 100+ at 25 mph (race avg was 25.3 mph today for 20+ miles).  I finished 12 overall, but think I am sitting in 5th overall in the 45+ Old and Slow age group.

I know I gave up some positions by being conservative, but didn't feel like dealing with any road rash for an entire week.  I had a guy slide out directly in front of me 2 corners before the finish when he went in too hot, and I know I didn't pedal for at least 300 yards while I was mentally processing that.  I still remember getting passed by a couple of guys into the final sprint and asking myself, "Why aren't you pedalling?"  I race bikes for the adrenaline rush.  Yesterday was close to an overdose.  

United Health Care, Jelly Belly, and Predator Carbon Repair Pro teams among others, are all here racing this weekend.  Like in every sport, it is simply amazing how easy the pros make this look.  These guys were pullling at 30+mph for entire laps without looking like they were even laboring.  I going with the fact the roads had dried out really made the difference!  Foot in mouth  

I'd post a picture or  two, but have no clue how to do it with the new format.  9 more days to go.......... (link to results)      

I never think a guy can be too hot! Kiss And dude posting a picture is no different from before the change.  Adrenaline got your brain?  

NICE JOB DINEEN.  Keep it up!

2013-06-23 5:15 AM

User image

Champion

I never think a guy can be too hot! Kiss And dude posting a picture is no different from before the change.  Adrenaline got your brain?  

2013-06-23 5:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion

Triple post? WTF?

Edited by SSMinnow 2013-06-23 5:18 AM
2013-06-23 6:05 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Originally posted by SSMinnow And dude posting a picture is no different from before the change.  Adrenaline got your brain?  

Yes, lets try this then.  Here is a good shot of me sitting in 2nd chair with one of my teammates working for me.

Good race today again.  Finished around 7th but the results are currently kind of mess that are supposed to be straightened out today.  I have no idea where I stand in my age group (since we race 35+, 45+, and 55+ all together), but I am guessing 4th or 5th after 2 days.  8 more to go and I have been racing pretty conservatively, so looking forward to opening it up a little later in the week.  

Thanks for following along. 

Edited by badgerintx 2013-06-23 6:11 AM

(ET Toad 2013.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
ET Toad 2013.jpg (349KB - 11 downloads)
2013-06-23 4:09 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
This is a super picture of you! You really look like a pro Dino!
2013-06-23 6:40 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Dino,  Love the pic and the information about your race.  Good luck with the final stages.

Dan,  Sorry you aren't feeling well.  I hope you feel better soon.

Suzy,  Nice job getting that post count up!  LOL

2013-06-23 6:45 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Found a great tour guide for my first trip to NYC.  Looks like I might even have someone to do a few long runs/rides with while I'm out east.  Say hi to Bruce (bfwhitt).

NYC

Edited by jfought 2013-06-23 6:45 PM
2013-06-23 7:05 PM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Elite
san francisco
Originally posted by jfought

Found a great tour guide for my first trip to NYC. Looks like I might even have someone to do a few long runs/rides with while I'm out east. Say hi to Bruce (bfwhitt).

NYC

Not to be meddlesome, but wow, you two make a fine looking couple (of triathletes...)......??

Dino! Awesome race pic! Good luck with all of the stages!

2013-06-23 8:39 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
From my run today.... GONG SHOW.
DT is CLOSED until Thursday. Kids school is cancelled. Going back on Thursday for a good-bye morning.
They say the Stampede will go on, but wow its going to be different.

Edited by TrevorC 2013-06-23 8:59 PM

(028.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
028.jpg (849KB - 9 downloads)
2013-06-23 11:13 PM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Master

Wow -- three amazing pictures.

Dino -- you are awesome!!! Were your ears burning this morning? Ryan and I were talking about your and your beautiful family during our run this morning! (All good things, promise!)

Jayne and Bruce -- great shot and what fun!! I'm with Kim -- you two look good together!

Trevor -- egads. That's totes cray-cray. Or just plain crazy.

Life is good.

2013-06-24 3:56 AM
in reply to: kkcbelle

User image

Expert
Noosa

Great pics, do you racer guys shave your arms too? Just wondering. You look great, I'm super impressed!

Jayne, great to see you having such a good time in NY, nice place that you and Bruce are eating at, my kids keep wanting to go to New York but probably won't happen till next year at the earliest. Have fun!

Those flood pics look nasty, reminds me of Brisbane last year, got to respect nature..

2013-06-24 4:03 AM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Expert
Noosa

Serious question: my 15 year old daughter has stopped all exercise and just wants to eat chocolate at the moment. Up until a year or two ago she surfed, did swim squads, played netball and dance.

She's got some money from her birthday last week and wants to buy a tablet - iPad mini or Google Nexus - and I've offered to pay half if she agrees to make some healthy lifestyle changes in return. I'm not expecting her to train for a race - she's too self conscious for that - so anyone got some good ideas???
2013-06-24 7:13 AM
in reply to: kkcbelle

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Originally posted by kkcbelle  

Dino -- you are awesome!!! Were your ears burning this morning? Ryan and I were talking about your and your beautiful family during our run this morning! (All good things, promise!)  

Thanks, but actually my ears were itching, because they got sunburned yesterday during the race.  First day above 90 degrees all summer and on a very hard course meant lots of suffering across the group.  Started with 102, only 40 ish finished on the front lap.  I finished 20th,  but picked up some important points on the guys in front of me in the 45+ overall title.  I will confirm this AM, but my math has me sitting in 2nd place right now.  And the "beauty" in the family comes from my Bride.  Now that we are empty-nesters, we need to get out to the PNW and see some of the family that lives on the Sound along with some of the MGers.   

Trevor- Glad you hanging in there and staying dry.  To bad is wasn't winter, looks like you could play some great pond hockey out there.  

Originally posted by copa2251

Serious question: my 15 year old daughter has stopped all exercise and just wants to eat chocolate at the moment. Up until a year or two ago she surfed, did swim squads, played netball and dance.

She's got some money from her birthday last week and wants to buy a tablet - iPad mini or Google Nexus - and I've offered to pay half if she agrees to make some healthy lifestyle changes in return. I'm not expecting her to train for a race - she's too self conscious for that - so anyone got some good ideas???

This is tough.  Both my girls have always been active, but we struggled when they wanted to give up some "organized" sports.  Allie, my oldest, was an All Conference Swimmer and Diver her freshmen year and then decided she no longer wanted to swim.  We reluctantly said ok, but made sure it was clear that she needed to do something.  She started to run Cross Country after that.  Tori gave up all her other organized sports for dance when she got into high school.  

I think the answer depends on the kid, especially with girls.  Bribes work?  Deals work? Can you just make it clear that you expect some sort of physical activity regularly? Is the change related to a friend change?

And no, I have never shaved my arms!  Foot in mouth     

2013-06-24 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

Looks like the group was busy this weekend. Good job all of you and keep up the good work. I didnt do much this weekend. I only did an OWS .5 mile yesterday. watching my kids while my wife was working is rough. It is hard for me to find motivation when she gets home.

I Just started the 3rd week of my HIM plan and balance is beginning to become an issue. Em my wife keeps saying that being home with the kids is wearing on her. It seems like I train work train some more and then go home and eat and get ready for the next day. I do feel like I am not around much during the week but I am not sure what I can do. I want to train to be prepared but want to keep the misses happy. I have asked to come out with me but she says no she dont want to be out in the heat and such. Do you all have any suggestions?

2013-06-24 7:50 AM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Dino: that is a really great pic!

Jayne & Bruce: looks like fun.  It is great that Bruce was able to show you around "the city".

Trevor: scary...glad you are not living too close to that.

2013-06-24 7:53 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Originally posted by mbehr1983

Looks like the group was busy this weekend. Good job all of you and keep up the good work. I didnt do much this weekend. I only did an OWS .5 mile yesterday. watching my kids while my wife was working is rough. It is hard for me to find motivation when she gets home.

I Just started the 3rd week of my HIM plan and balance is beginning to become an issue. Em my wife keeps saying that being home with the kids is wearing on her. It seems like I train work train some more and then go home and eat and get ready for the next day. I do feel like I am not around much during the week but I am not sure what I can do. I want to train to be prepared but want to keep the misses happy. I have asked to come out with me but she says no she dont want to be out in the heat and such. Do you all have any suggestions?

Can you do some workouts before everyone wakes up? Running at 4:30-5 am or jumping on the bike trainer for rides to get them done on some days so after work you can help out? Do you have a jogging stroller? Taking the baby with you on some runs might give her a break, too.

Sometimes it might just help your wife knowing you are there if she needs you even if you are on the trainer?

I found that writing a schedule on a calender so she knows what's going on can be helpful, so there are less surprises, especially those long bike rides...and that way, there can be negotiations not mandates!

Good luck, it's good that you want to keep the missus happy! Family first!

Edited for pre-coffee grammatical errors (and to avoid Kyla's wrath!).

Edited by kt65 2013-06-24 8:15 AM

2013-06-24 8:32 AM
in reply to: kt65

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
i try and do most of the swims in the AM and runs if they are not on swim days. I have a couple other activities that I do as well. Maybe i need to sarcifice them in order to be homea little more. i tried the calender thing and I am not sure how that went over. Didnt seem like she like that Ideal either so i dunno. Maybe I should give her some free time away from the kids.
2013-06-24 4:59 PM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by mbehr1983i try and do most of the swims in the AM and runs if they are not on swim days. I have a couple other activities that I do as well. Maybe i need to sarcifice them in order to be homea little more. i tried the calender thing and I am not sure how that went over. Didnt seem like she like that Ideal either so i dunno. Maybe I should give her some free time away from the kids.

I always try to do "invisible training" if possible. This means training when no one notices.
This would be before my wife and kids get up, keeping running gear in the car and getting a run in before heading home from work, sneaking out on a Saturday afternoon after spending the morning doing family stuff or having a run whilst the kids are playing sport.

If you're training for a HIM and you want to keep the wife happy I'd recommend dropping the other activities until after the race, you're pushing her patience as it is!

The only session that you can't hide is your long bike so I'd make it clear that you're going to be out the house early for a long ride every Sunday from now until the race and then hide all the other sessions as well as you can.
2013-06-24 9:19 PM

User image

New user
Little confused on where to post and who is posting what..but..from what I see, Dino you are really impressive, truly amazing!!! Dan, I hope you are feeling better. Jayne, hope life is getting easier, cant remember all of the others.

So since we are posting as much as possible, Friday was my B-day, did a short, flat ride with a friend, then an OW, notice there is no "S" at the end. I am not sure what I was doing could be called swimming. It has been 2 yrs since I have been in a lake. Terrified of the water to begin with so once my face went in and it was so dark and isolated...PANIC!! I had to stop several times, was breathing so fast and blowing water out of my nose so hard, I blew my goggles off my face...follwed a friend on the way out, probably only 150mtrs, then led on the way back. Must have looked like a cartoon charachter with my arms moving so fast towards the shore she could not catch me. After I got out and calmed down, I thought I could do it again. Going back tomorrow for round 2. Saturday did a run/scavenger hunt dressed as Wheres Waldo with my step daughter. There were 15 stations, you had 1.5 hrs to complete it and they said it was about 3-4 miles. Well, depending where you started it was actually 7-9 miles. We had to do a challenge to get our next clue. There were lunge walks while singing old mcdonald, had to carry a couch for a block, had to scale a rock climbing wall, do a 100 push ups then pin the moustache on the cardboard dude, many more, but the worst was having to eat a 100yr old duck egg. I thought it was a joke until I smelled it, oh....he$$ no...my stepdaughter was on an adrenaline high and put the whole thing in her mouth at once, I started gag, then she started to gag which made me gag, and so on and so on. Just imagine, 2 Waldos, downtown,on a street corner,at 7pm, on a Saturday, gagging..priceless. I know this is not really training related, but kind of..was a nice break from swimming/biking/running. Have a great week all!!
2013-06-25 7:33 AM
in reply to: Nadscats

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Quick update for those following along at home.  We raced yesterday on a flat rectangle course in Sheboygan, WI.  Truly a power riders course, which is not my best strength.  I was able to ride smart and finished 8th on the day.  Sitting in 2nd position in the Omnium scoring in the 45+ 3/4 age group. Only 6 points separate the 2nd through the 5th place so consistency is going to be key.   

Hilly Crit Course today and the legs are starting to revolt after 4 days of racing ...........  should be interesting.  (results)

(Dino Being a BA.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Dino Being a BA.jpg (168KB - 17 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44