BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-02-20 11:03 AM
in reply to: tmoran80

Downingtown , Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED
I have sort of an interesting (tho I don't think original) dilemma. I'm curious which you all would do under these circumstances. I have a 2006 Argon 18 Mercury with 105 groupset. This is a dedicated tt bike. Frame is aluminum but the forks and rear triangle are carbon. I like the bike. I recently bought a 2008 Giant TCR Advanced road bike. It's full carbon with SRAM Rival groupset. I don't need two bikes (and can't explain why I bought the second one other than I liked it and got a nice deal on it). Should I keep the Argon and dump the Giant or dump the Argon and just set the Giant up as a part-time tri bike.

I know a road bike will never be the ideal tri bike but it seems to me that if (at least for the time being) I'm only going to keep one bike, road bike seems to make good practical sense.

I live in a pretty hilly area so riding in aero position for long flat periods of time doesn't occur that often for me (unless on on the trainer).

What would you do?

2014-02-20 3:08 PM
in reply to: healthlawyer

User image

Chicago
I had a road bike for many years until I finally purchased my tri bike last summer. Even though I had aero bars on my road bike, it wasn't the same. it's great having both bikes. I must add that my wife thinks I'm crazy but I also have 4 bikes in my garage. Anyway, I like hagving both because like you mentioned being in the aero position all the time is not ideal for me. The road bike gives me more control and it allows me to enjoy my rides. I like having the tri bike because I can use it for training rides and when I'm not out on a group ride.

Basically I would keep both bikes as long as you can. Use the road bike for normal to hard rides and bring out your tri bike on days when you really want to hammer down a ride. I also take in consideration what time of the day I'm going out because I live in a highly populated area and the traffic can influence what bike I'll be on. Tri bikes are harded to control. My bike club does not allow tri bikes because they are harder to control.

Hope this helps,

Originally posted by healthlawyer

I have sort of an interesting (tho I don't think original) dilemma. I'm curious which you all would do under these circumstances. I have a 2006 Argon 18 Mercury with 105 groupset. This is a dedicated tt bike. Frame is aluminum but the forks and rear triangle are carbon. I like the bike. I recently bought a 2008 Giant TCR Advanced road bike. It's full carbon with SRAM Rival groupset. I don't need two bikes (and can't explain why I bought the second one other than I liked it and got a nice deal on it). Should I keep the Argon and dump the Giant or dump the Argon and just set the Giant up as a part-time tri bike.

I know a road bike will never be the ideal tri bike but it seems to me that if (at least for the time being) I'm only going to keep one bike, road bike seems to make good practical sense.

I live in a pretty hilly area so riding in aero position for long flat periods of time doesn't occur that often for me (unless on on the trainer).

What would you do?

2014-02-20 4:43 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Originally posted by nrpoulin

Continue to work on my continuous freestyle, up to 200y.

Nate

Excellent.

2014-02-20 4:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

What would you do?

I think everyone should have a road bike. But I was wondering. Since you won't get a lot of cash for a used bike, is there any reason you have to dump one or the other? Both have their uses. When I say everyone should have a road bike, I mean that from a versatility standpoint. Group rides commuting, trainer. TT has its place too but far more limited. If you have to dump one, you can get aero bars that clip on. But only you know your situation.

• Edited by IceManScott 2014-02-20 4:47 PM
    2014-02-21 3:48 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Master
    \Windsor, Ontario
    Hope you are feeling better Gil

Originally posted by gdelamora

Been sitting on is sinus problem for two days now. All that I have managed to do is some core stuff but no endurance work. Hope to be better tomorrow.

Cheers!

Edited by kcgolf 2014-02-21 3:49 PM
    2014-02-21 3:50 PM
    in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Master
    \Windsor, Ontario
    Nice job Nate - way to go

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Continue to work on my continuous freestyle, up to 200y.

Nate

2014-02-21 3:54 PM
    in reply to: healthlawyer

User image

Master
    \Windsor, Ontario
    I am with Scott on this one - the tri bike is not worth much - so why get rid of it? I have both actually. My first bike purchased about 4 years ago was a cheaper NORCO road bike with clip on aero bars. I used it for my first year of Triathlon and it worked. I still have it and occasionally still use it if my Tri bike is in the shop for tune ups etc. I am thinking about getting another road bike believe it or not - a better one, for all the reasons Scott has mentioned. So - keep it.

KC

What would you do?

2014-02-21 3:57 PM
    in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Master
    \Windsor, Ontario
    Ok Team - had a great Friday - 3000 meters in the pool this morning - can't explain it but I just felt like swimming so I did . I followed that up with a nice one hour zone 2 run on the mill and then enjoyed the Canadian victory in hockey. I am going to finish the week off tomorrow morning with a 3 hour trainer ride - wish me luck team.

Stay safe everyone.

KC
    2014-02-21 5:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Normal, Ill.
    Originally posted by kcgolf

Been sitting on is sinus problem for two days now. All that I have managed to do is some core stuff but no endurance work. Hope to be better tomorrow.

Cheers!

Anybody else use a Neti Pot? I started about 6 years ago and haven't had a cold since.
    2014-02-22 8:39 AM
    in reply to: IceManScott

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Normal, Ill.

Great article on what is of value when it comes to bike speed. Spending a fortune for a lighter bike is not among them.

http://freetrispeed.com/2013/11/04/bike-weight-and-the-myth-of-fast...

2014-02-22 9:04 PM

User image

Regular
    Great article. I couldn't agree more. If I stay away from the cheesburger once a week and bike 10 more minutes a week, I will get faster than upgrading to a lighter bike

Todd

2014-02-23 5:01 PM

User image

Regular
    I had a good training week. My calf had a minor flare up during the week, but I have been stretching and foam rolling it after every workout.

Bike: 204 minutes for about 60 miles
    Run: 140 minutes for about 17.5 miles
    Swim: 90 minutes for about 4000 yards - mostly stroke work and drills
    Strength: 140 minutes - core, arms, back, and legs

Looking forward,

Todd
    2014-02-23 8:34 PM

User image

Regular
    I used to use one. I have had three surgeries to remove enlarged polyps from my nose, and I used one for about 2 years...I should really get back to using it! I does wonders for colds and infections!
    2014-02-24 2:03 PM

User image

Master
    \Windsor, Ontario
    Hi Scott. I have been using one since you introduced me to it about 2 years ago - thanks.

KC

Originally posted by IceManScott

Cheers!

Anybody else use a Neti Pot? I started about 6 years ago and haven't had a cold since.
    2014-02-24 2:04 PM
    in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Master
    \Windsor, Ontario
    Nice work Todd. I have to get back into the strength training but struggling to find the time.

KC

Originally posted by ettringite23

I had a good training week. My calf had a minor flare up during the week, but I have been stretching and foam rolling it after every workout.

Looking forward,

Todd
    2014-02-24 5:23 PM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
    Hello Team RFP,

I need some advice. I have the opportunity to run in a half marathon in 2 weeks but I'm not sure if I should risk it. With my sore ankle in late Jan and travel in early Feb I missed my volume targets for a month.

Mid November to mid January -- 15 miles per week
    Mid January to mid February -- 5 miles per week
    Last week -- 18 miles

My runs are around 4 miles and my ankle feels normal now. I think I could safely do 20 miles this week before tapering, but my long run would only be 8 miles. Is that enough, or is the gulf between 8 and 13.2 too large? Goal is to run the entire half mary and enjoy it.

2014-02-24 8:01 PM
    in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Normal, Ill.
    Originally posted by pnwdan

Hello Team RFP,

I need some advice. I have the opportunity to run in a half marathon in 2 weeks but I'm not sure if I should risk it. With my sore ankle in late Jan and travel in early Feb I missed my volume targets for a month.

Mid November to mid January -- 15 miles per week
    Mid January to mid February -- 5 miles per week
    Last week -- 18 miles

My runs are around 4 miles and my ankle feels normal now. I think I could safely do 20 miles this week before tapering, but my long run would only be 8 miles. Is that enough, or is the gulf between 8 and 13.2 too large? Goal is to run the entire half mary and enjoy it.

Then run/walk if you have to... The suggestion is we work to a long run one mile at least longer than the race. Run coaches use that even for marathons for lordy sake. Why? I do not know. But if you are not too committed to PR, what the hell. Go get the shirt. Just run walk. The proviso is if you are hurt in any way, forget it. Not worth hurting yourself on a B race this early on. I'm assuming you've done halfs before and know the drill and distance.

2014-02-24 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Normal, Ill.

Nice work Todd. I have to get back into the strength training but struggling to find the time.

KC

Looking forward,

Todd

I'm making time for strength exercises 4 to 5 times a week but here's the deal. Just do 5 to 30 mins each time. You can do that. Pushups, planks, etc. I do K bells. It is making a difference in the hip, I think.
    2014-02-24 10:20 PM

User image

Regular
    Yeah, my strength workouts are 15 to 30 minutes at a time. Mostly core work and light weights/high reps for legs and back.
    2014-02-25 12:09 PM

User image

Last week was pretty solid all told my numbers are, swim: 10,400 yds, bike: 6hr30 min, run: 3hr 45mins with 2 strength training sessions. This week is off to a rough start, so here's hoping I can turn it around. Also I finally got my bike fit done so I get to start riding my first TT bike ever! I hope everyone has a great week!

P.S. random question (ulterior motive, long ride coming up this weekend) everyone's favorite tv series or movies to watch while on the trainer?

Helen
    2014-02-25 12:38 PM
    in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Regular
    That is a beast of a week! Good job, Helen!

2014-02-25 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Normal, Ill.
    Originally posted by mtrunner6

Last week was pretty solid all told my numbers are, swim: 10,400 yds, bike: 6hr30 min, run: 3hr 45mins with 2 strength training sessions. This week is off to a rough start, so here's hoping I can turn it around. Also I finally got my bike fit done so I get to start riding my first TT bike ever! I hope everyone has a great week!

P.S. random question (ulterior motive, long ride coming up this weekend) everyone's favorite tv series or movies to watch while on the trainer?

Helen

Wow. Nice. Do you have an IronMan coming soon?
    2014-02-25 3:33 PM

User image

Helen

Yep...well sort of, I'm in week 7 of 24 in my training plan for IM CDA, June 29th.
    2014-02-25 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Normal, Ill.

Helen

Yep...well sort of, I'm in week 7 of 24 in my training plan for IM CDA, June 29th.

Those are great numbers. I've never done that much in the pool in one week.

I like NCIS. Got into them and caught up to the present. I also watch training videos. Double tasking to save some time. Star Wars has 6 movies in the bunch. Harry Potter has what, 6 or 7? Bourne series. Action stuff.
    2014-02-25 10:45 PM

User image

Chicago
    Greta job on the core workouts.

I 've been doing 25 minutes of core exercises for a week now and I'm stating to feel better on my runs and swims. Maybe it's a mental thing but I'll know better if it's paying off for me in a few more weeks.

Yeah, my strength workouts are 15 to 30 minutes at a time. Mostly core work and light weights/high reps for legs and back.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED POSTS

Team Trisuppo - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34

Started by trisuppo
    Views: 30515 Posts: 838

2014-05-16 3:19 PM jackiep
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : August 7, 2009
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 1
    Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : August 5, 2008
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 0
    I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
    date : October 2, 2007
    author : docgill
    Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : July 3, 2006
    author : ChiRunning
    Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
    date : June 5, 2006
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 1
    How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : January 24, 2005
    author : Team BT
    Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
    date : January 10, 2005
    author : trithis
    Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
    author : Team BT
    Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.