Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2007-08-13 10:21 PM
in reply to: #633528

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Betsy's Tri-BAMFs
Hello Loves,

My race report is up: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

because results were posted... and I'm not even bottom 10!! I'm BOTTOM ELEVEN! Because I'm a BAMF. *dances*

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/07/ma/Aug11_WildFi_1_set1.shtml

2007-08-14 4:40 PM

User image

Great swim race, Christina!!! Not only were you not in the bottom 10, you were also NOT LAST in your age group! (and I'll bet the others wore wetsuits!).

Good for you for getting into that cold water. You're a BAMF swimmer!

Rene
2007-08-14 6:59 PM
in reply to: #925935

User image

Regular
Teehehe... Thanks Rene!
2007-08-15 1:52 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-08-16 2:13 PM

Edited by betsy 2007-08-16 2:14 PM
2007-08-16 2:14 PM

2007-08-17 2:41 PM

Edited by betsy 2007-08-17 2:41 PM
2007-08-31 4:22 PM

2007-09-01 5:12 PM

Regular
OOps,, I accidentally posted a post with nothing in it....

Okay, so I'm doing well... training with the University of Arizona Tricats is back up to speed.

I've gone to 2 time trials so far (running and bike) and after some self-evaluation in the pool, I will be training in the following groups (blue = beginner/easy, white=some experience/moderate, red = experienced/hard/aggressive workouts):

Swimming - White
Biking - Red
Running - Red

Which I way exciting.

Going ot do some altitude running Monday...
Signed up for the Tinfoilman sprint tri (same day as SOMA, but I'm obviously not doing the latter).

How's you, Bets?

And every one else?

Edited by cbirchrun 2007-09-01 5:15 PM
2007-09-10 8:22 AM

2007-09-11 10:12 AM

Regular
Ok team, here's my delimma. My goal before the end of the year is to complete a 10k, however, I'm looking at training for the 1/2 Marathon for the Cure in February of 2008. This is a fundraiser event and I'm required to raise $1500 before the race. This gives me 5 months to train. Is it possible to build to 13 miles when I'm still trying to get past 4.2 miles right now? Once I commit, I can't turn back and this one is for a great cause.

Thoughts?

2007-09-11 3:49 PM
in reply to: #959728

2007-09-12 5:33 PM

OK, I know I haven't checked in for ages but I have been lurking, posting trainings and seeing how every else is doing.

I really can't believe it but my first triathlon came and went in a flash! What a great experience. I wasn't fully trained for it due to life getting in the way, but it was so exciting to finish! This was a grueling course so it maybe wasn't the best one to start with but it was gorgeous all the way!

I could not have done it without all of you and this online log, keeping me going, checking up on me, and measuring my progress. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

Rene

Pacific Coast Triathlon Race Log:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2007-09-13 8:29 AM

Regular
Congratulations! You had a good race time and I'm impressed with your surf swim...despite the waves. You should be very proud of yourself.

I'm looking forward to the marathon season and some cooler, drier weather!
2007-09-17 12:12 AM

Regular
Hey all.... I actually made the half marathon... what a surprise! finished it in 2:05:00 and change. Race report coming soon. But I have another issue I need some friendly advice on....

Sooooo.... my dad's been nagging me a long time about this, and now my roommate's are, I suppose, picking up on it.... I've noticed that when I talk about my lack of exercise or exercise in relation to food, my roommates and boyfriend (best friends of mine) get really short and irritable. One of them has outright told me I have exercise addiction, and I'm wondering if she's right. Every "rest" day is very, very hard for me to justify. More than once a week seems like excessive rest to me. And my confidence and, maybe better said, self worth is definitely harder to maintain on days I don't exercise. And I probably spend just as much, if not more, time exercising than I do studying and going to class combined. Sleep fits in the middle. I think I've noticed exercise and training being more and more mandatory the last year or so, but I don't really know what to do about it-- certainly not decrease my exercise because that would just make me feel disgusting (see what I mean?). I don't get it... if I"m addicted to exercise, wouldn't I be much fitter than I am? I'm 5'9 and 148lbs... quite healthy, definitely with extra padding on my hips, thighs, and stomach.

Any one else have feelings like this sometimes? Know anyone who does the same thing? The fact that it's starting to affect my relationships is what is worrying.

Thanks. Love.
2007-10-06 8:27 PM

2007-10-09 12:02 PM
in reply to: #967152

Hey, Christina:

What I have always heard is that if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's...you guessed it... If all or most of the people who are close to you are seeing something that you're not, odds are they are seeing something real. Your days off should feel just a good and fun filled as your workout days. You shouldn't feel "guilty" or bad for not working out until day three or so.

If someone has an addiction, health does not follow even when the addiction is exercise because an exercise addict would be coming from a place of need rather than desire/enjoyment and might tend to exercise when it's best to rest--hence recovery doesn't happen and lack of fitness can follow.

Finding the root of why exercise has become so central in your life might require some soul searching. Ask for help. And in the meantime, try to take some proactive steps to maintain health (both mental and physical): plan something special for your off days, like a museum or zoo visit; set some short- and long-term goals that surround your happiness and feeling of well-being, not just fitness or weight goals; and set some limits when you are injured, some bottom lines that you agree not to cross if you're in pain.

The most important things are your health and happiness. Exercise should enhance those; when it starts to interfere instead, it's time to address your relationship to exercise. Don't put it off. You don't want to lose your love of sport and fitness in the process.

Thanks for writing and putting yourself out there. You can tackle this issue just as well as you have met the challenges of your sports life! Good luck and keep in touch.

Rene

P.S. Speaking of keeping in touch, I haven't been doing so lately... Here's a 3-second update ...Taking a swimming class, taking a yoga class, joined a track club, signed up for a local 5K, planning for a February half-marathon--ack! 13 miles...it's already terrifying me.

cbirchrun - 2007-09-17 12:12 AM

Hey all.... I actually made the half marathon... what a surprise! finished it in 2:05:00 and change. Race report coming soon. But I have another issue I need some friendly advice on....

Sooooo.... my dad's been nagging me a long time about this, and now my roommate's are, I suppose, picking up on it.... I've noticed that when I talk about my lack of exercise or exercise in relation to food, my roommates and boyfriend (best friends of mine) get really short and irritable. One of them has outright told me I have exercise addiction, and I'm wondering if she's right. Every "rest" day is very, very hard for me to justify. More than once a week seems like excessive rest to me. And my confidence and, maybe better said, self worth is definitely harder to maintain on days I don't exercise. And I probably spend just as much, if not more, time exercising than I do studying and going to class combined. Sleep fits in the middle. I think I've noticed exercise and training being more and more mandatory the last year or so, but I don't really know what to do about it-- certainly not decrease my exercise because that would just make me feel disgusting (see what I mean?). I don't get it... if I"m addicted to exercise, wouldn't I be much fitter than I am? I'm 5'9 and 148lbs... quite healthy, definitely with extra padding on my hips, thighs, and stomach.

Any one else have feelings like this sometimes? Know anyone who does the same thing? The fact that it's starting to affect my relationships is what is worrying.

Thanks. Love.
2007-10-09 12:04 PM

P.S. Forgot to say...CONGRATULATIONS ON THE HALF-MARATHON! Great time!

Rene
2007-10-09 1:20 PM

Hey BAMFers!!

I am so proud of everyone! Y'all have maintained while us slacker have, well... slacked off. My 3 second update is - got a puppy, moved towns, shot a wedding and went out west for over 2 weeks - hiking, camping, mountain biking and sight seeing. Had a good spill in Spearfish, SD and in Moab I took a HARD hit. I am still on both bikes and new puppy girl has me RUNNING. It is hot here - still in the mid 90's.

I went to a Specialized Diva Night last night at our local bike store - for Breast Cancer Awareness. They have the demo van here with women only road and mountain bikes. I am REALLY excited!! We don't E V E R get to demo bikes in our area!!

Keep up the good work!!

Carrie
2007-10-12 10:52 AM

Good to hear from you, Carrie! Sorry to hear about the spills but I'll bet that was an amazing trip. Have fun with your puppy. He(?)'s really cute! And it sounds like he won't let you slack! :-)

Reen
2007-10-21 3:52 PM

2007-10-22 4:20 PM

Hey Betsy - I need some serious motivation. I hope more people will get back into this!! Hope everyone is doing good!!
2007-10-23 12:11 AM

Regular
Hey Lovelies. I AM STILL HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I'm totally down with more group stuff, esp. challenges.

I'm a bit swamped with grad school apps until mid-November, but then I'm done and FREEEEEE to work out and just enjoy life!
2007-10-23 8:08 AM

Regular
I'm here, keep me on!
2007-10-23 10:26 AM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Betsy's Tri-BAMFs Rss Feed  

of 27