BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-03-14 10:06 PM
in reply to: #723334

Veteran
Ontario
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but you can still sneak in...
I think its good to mix it up.

For example pick a day a week that you want to focus on speed, even its a shorter run/ride just trying to have a faster over all speed. Where as some days try to beat your max distance, and not worry about the time it takes.

I think this way you are working on your speed as well as endurance, while at the same time making training a little more interesting.

2007-03-15 5:18 AM
in reply to: #723334

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Malphh - 2007-03-14 9:10 PM

good tip thanks rob and a good way to lead in to my next question!

when training what do you guys try and increase first do you do the same distance for a quicker time or increase your distance? i hope that question makes sense??????

i will give a example to claify

the other day i rode 10kms in 30 mins and ran 4 kms in 22 mins say i got these times consitently for a couple of weeks would u then say ok lets see if i can do it in 25 mins and 15 mins or would you say right im going to go further?

just curious is all

cheers
malphh

Depending on your goals, the answer to your questions could very well be "both."

If you're going as far as you want to go, and more than your races, you can focus on speed. But not every day. Some days your body just needs to go slower, and when it does, pay attention to your form.

If you have a longer race, you need to extend your distances, but you will still work in a short fast effort, too. Not every day should be a long day.

Make sense? It's all about balance and consistency.

The psychological pay off is great. When you're going slow and long, you'll tell yourself that you can do this longer distance, because you are going slower than usual. When you're going fast and short, you'll tell yourself that you have that extra energy to go quick because it's only 1/2 of what you ran the other day.

See what I mean when I said "both"?

2007-03-15 5:23 AM
in reply to: #723426

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Robb - 2007-03-14 11:06 PM

I think its good to mix it up.

For example pick a day a week that you want to focus on speed, even its a shorter run/ride just trying to have a faster over all speed. Where as some days try to beat your max distance, and not worry about the time it takes.

I think this way you are working on your speed as well as endurance, while at the same time making training a little more interesting.

Exactly!
2007-03-15 5:39 AM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Following on from the prof’s post above and Robb’s comments I have a training plan (how very grown up) that incorporates both short and fast and long and slow runs and rides. The only thing that is consistent is the swimming element but I have sessions that concentrate purely on drills and other sessions that cover endurance.

Following my move from self managed training (i.e. just running/biking a bit further or a bit faster than last time) and being rewarded with small incremental gains (together with lots of injury time) I have seen my ability to cover distance faster increase exponentially.

For example: last year I set a goal of running 5km in less than 30 mins. Working from a lard arsed couch potato base I just walked/ran the 5km, then ran/walked the 5km and finally ran the 5km. In between time I got injured and sick etc as a result, I see now, of not structuring my fitness development properly.

At the beginning of the year (having done nowt for several months) I started again. This time following a training program. I walked for a couple of miles every lunchtime for about three weeks. I then got on the treadmill and ran for a mile. I then stopped. I concentrated on the mile distance interval training (1 min fast, 1 min slow) until I not only could manage the fast bits but was upping my pace in the slow segments to the point where they were almost the same as the fast segments. I then built that base up into longer distances at a lower work rate and shorter distances at a faster work rate. The one improves the other.

The result is that, after two months of doing this, I ran 5km this weekend in 19:23 and felt like I could have kept running.

Applying the same philosophy to the bike has paid similar dividends.

Mixing it up, like Robb and prof suggest, gives speed AND endurance AND, importantly, seems to protect you against injury as you are building strength and resilience as you go forwards.

2007-03-15 7:07 AM

User image

Expert
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the gentle pep talk, Rob! You could easily be a counselor

And thanks for the info/advice about training plans. Glad I'm not the only one wandering around in the dark here and glimpsing the light through a crack in the door occasionally. Have to learn to enjoy the stumbling in the dark process, I guess....

Self-analysis: This week so far, I 'm eating better, eating less, recording what I eat so I have those light glimpses, running a bit outside, running a bit farther, occasionally running a bit faster, making enough $$ to pick up my bike and biking shoes today to get used to the new ergonomics of everything, getting over round two of sinus infection, taking a bunch of supplements to improve immunity and adrenals, trying out new Yoga poses, doing research and ordering stuff, going to do a 4 hour spinathon Sunday, and off today to practice the swim! I'm fairly well rested, for a change, and getting back my spunk!

The Bluff Buster's Tri group (yep, should be BALL buster's, me thinks) is recognizing me now and sending the newsletters, and I'm almost ready to commit to the River City Running Club (but they scare me, too). The Velo Club is a bunch of folks, many of them Gundersen M.D.'s as it turns out, who are really laid back and fun, but NOT drill sargeant types--whew! Glad I met them first, or I would have crawled back under a rock and not peeked out!

Today, I express gratitude to this site and Prof and all you lovely people who inspire me and give me courage. I send my love to each and every one of you and all the positive mojo I can send through the air waves Keep posting, keep going, and if you are having a bad day--post it so we can boost you up!!!

P.S. I named my littlest Mose Joseph so I can call him MoJo. He is a magical child
2007-03-15 7:11 AM

User image

crilkey u are that pumped with out your spunk no1s going to stop it when u get it back fully@!!!!

2007-03-15 10:29 AM
in reply to: #720912

User image

Brandon, FL.
Hi Everyone - Wow, I come back and have to spend an hour reading all of the posts. You never cease to amaze me. Welcome to all of the new folks. Where do I start ?... Well, the race was simply awesome. I think it might even be more fun than my upcoming triathlon since it involves so much of what I love doing. Basically stomping through the woods, mountain biking and kayaking. I was very skeptical about the run but it actually turned out to be the best part. The run was between 4 and 5 miles not including the "Special challenge" which was to navigate through the woods to find a control point and punch your card. The bike is one of my strongest areas but I got lost and turned the 6 mile bike into 10 miles. They say that there is a 3 to 1 ratio when comparing trail riding to road miles and my (red bike) totally agrees. Which brings up a point. There was some discussion about skins and whatnot earlier. Well, I do have a pair of Tri shorts and are uhhhh, very tight.... lol So, in keeping with the "technical" wear, I bought a pair of technical underwear that are supposed to wick the moisture away and a pair of nylon shorts over them. They worked great until the bike portion where my (red bike) was slipping and sliding all over my ergonomically designed big (red bike) gel seat (e.g. WIDE). My goal was simply to finish but to my surprise (especially after almost doubling the bike portion) I didn't come in last. I beat the team of quadriplegic's and an escaped mental patient that wandered onto the course. Seriously, I think I came in 39th of 46 and 4th of 8 soloists so I'm pretty happy.

Oh yeah, I didn't get much of a breakfast but did manage some gatorade and a clif bar. I had 2 powerbar gels during the race which tasted like yellow bike but did the job.

One more thing. I felt awesome after the race but the next day I felt like I got hit by a bus. Which did happen to me once so I have first hand knowledge about what that feels like. I'm feeling much better now but it's clear that I need to "harden the #$%^ up !"

Malphh - That had to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Especially about a minute and a half in when he introduces Stephane. A buddy and I used to work with a french guy named Stephane so of course we shared the video with him !!! LOL.

What else ? Oh yeah, gear. I have a schwinn mountain bike, and a 1985 schwinn world sport ss which was quite the race bike in 1985 and quite affordable in 2006. I'll see how things go before I drop thousands on a bike and watch my marriage crumble ;-) I have new balance cross trainers which work well enough for a beginner. An MP3 player which I can't get along without. It's loaded with Wolfmother (Malphh will know who I'm talking about (probably the best new band around)), and an assortment of totally energizing hard rock bands.

Phoenix - Glad to hear that you got the rollers. You beat me to the punch ! I have been using the ones at the gym up to now. My PT recommended that I use them after each workout to loosen things up while the muscles are still warm and pliable. Oh, and at some point while scrounging through the internet I came across a watch that helps you count laps in the pool. Each lap, you press the face of the watch and it counts a lap.

BGT - What the hell are you on ? I can't believe how much you do !!! You are simply amazing. You had me cracking up about the GS mafia. I don't buy from the ones sitting out in front of the store, only the ones that come to the door. You got to work for your money ! I've probably bought about $50 dollars worth of GS cookies already. (I haven't eaten any though !) Well, I did get some of the sugar free brownie cookies that I am slowly decimating.

Prof - Big balls ??!!! Forget the Enzyte, you might want to try some HGH. LOL !

Mark - Congratulations on the bike !!! I'm totally jealous.

Lastly, a little more about me. I am married to a wonderful woman who somehow manages to put up with my new "healthy" lifestyle. I have two wonderful boys, ages 13 and 6. Two dogs, 6 fish and 1 rabbit. I am currently doing database administration which is in the IT industry so I basically sit on my (red bike) all damn day. And finally, I'm a recovering Diet Coke addict. I love the stuff and would drink about 10 a day. I'm down to 1 a day every once in a while and drink mostly water throughout the day. I swear Diet Coke has crack in it and I * LOVE IT *. The coke that is.

I'm sure I missed some things and some people but I want you to know that I read all about you and am sending out all the positive vibes that I can out to you.

Keep up the good work !!!

Sean
2007-03-15 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
SEAN--That was hilarious! You can be the first male comedian to do a triathlete routine (cause I'm gonna be the first female). Seriously, WAY TO GO!! I just hope you had fun! And didn't get snakebite in the Florida jungles

Found a new way to challenge myself! The Y has an indoor ironman for the whole month of March, but somehow I missed it until today. So, for five bucks, I get a T-shirt and a chance at prize drawings if I finish in the next two weeks. I can do it--I'll be living at the Y anyway, and you can count your outdoor miles, so you don't have to do all 26 on their treadmills. I've got the 4 hour spin-a-thon this Sunday, and by their count, that's 58 miles on the spin bikes.

I did 500 yards swim today, and was told my kick is getting a lot stronger, but I'm still dragging that left arm. I'm going to try Carlos AND Karen and see if two instructors work okay. Actually, I just keep running into Karen at the Y, and I don't have the heart to tell her I have a new swim teacher, so I'll just go with both of them. (I know, I'm just too nice). Signed all three kids up for swim classes now starting next Thursday.

Bought a metronome today to try the 189 steps per minute run that Malph's DVD recommends. It's a much smaller contraption than the ones I had when taking piano a zillion years ago (and I sucked at the piano, or at least it wasn't easy for me). Hopefully, Micah will enjoy lessons more than I did. She begs me for piano lessons, so we'll see. Anyway, the metronome will fit nicely in one of the pockets of my tri suit. I think it will be rather tribal to run to a click-click. Sort of like having your own little drummer person running beside you, or like in the military where someone counts or they sing or whatever---left--left-right-left!

AND--my new blue baby is home! Have to think of a name for her. She takes after my side of the family, clearly Actually, she would be one of those virgin births, as I've sworn off men, dontcha know Had to get new Pearl Izumi bike shoes to clip on to her, too! And, I picked up some whey powder for protein, and a variety of gels and this cytomax energy drink powder that is supposed to still be drinkable even warm after sitting in your water bottle on the bike all day. NOW--I'm DONE buying yellowbike for this triathlete stuff!!!!! Or, soon I'll be living in a van down by the river, and I'm NOT kidding
2007-03-15 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Oh, one more thing--about the diet coke--aspartame is an excitotoxin. Meaning, it acts like an amphetamine to your brain and nervous system. Used to be addicted to it myself when I was on my anorexic kick (and for a long time after). It actually makes you CRAVE sugar, and they have found that people who consume lots of artificial sweeteners actually consume more calories than those who just go for the sugar. Splenda is supposed to be even worse than aspartame (nutrasweet), according to Dr. Mercola, who has this really popular website. At least we KNOW what sugar does to us--this other stuff scares the out of me!!!

Okay, off my soapbox.......
2007-03-15 4:14 PM

Veteran
Ontario
Well bugs bunny is almost over and I am about to head out on the bike but just thought I would post 2 quick questions on my way out.

First, how important is strength training? I know most people do some, but I don't see it being a big part of any training plan. The reason I ask is that I have dropped about 30lbs or so and I am pretty sure I have lost some kind of muscle mass with it, and wondering if this is hurting me as far as a triathlon go. I assume upper body strength would make me better in the pool no? Or should I just focus on my endurance and speed and get my strength from swimming/rock climbing?

Second, why is it whenever you mention a triathlon to someone, they always respond with "so does that mean you shave your legs or something?". haha like I have heard of swimmers shaving pretty much their whole body but does it really help in an open water wave filled lake? Or does it help on the bike/run? I don't PLAN to shave my legs, but if it will help in any way I don't MIND I guess lol. I mean anything that could save me a couple seconds overall could be the difference between 3rd and 4th. (I tend to be a little competitive )
2007-03-15 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Now I'm laughing again! What am I going to do for entertainment when we "graduate" from this and aren't allowed to post anymore???

Well, I'm no expert here, but I think weight/strength training is VITAL! Especially if you have dropped a bunch of weight. I have this scale that shows you % body fat, water, bone density, calories estimated for your height/weight, and metabolic age. It's okay--probably not 100% reliable, but gives me an idea if I really lost fat or muscle (or gained muscle vs. fat). And so, yes, do some, but honestly--if you are rock climbing, that should be PLENTY! You really need to be strong for THAT! I don't think I'd make it climbing up a pebble right now. lol

About the shaving thing--I bow to those with more experience, cause I'm a girl and not one of those back to nature/doesn't shave ones

2007-03-15 6:35 PM

Veteran
Ontario
Well I am back and did some research

http://soloswims.com/shaving.htm

According to this, there is apparently a noticeable difference in drag for sprint swimmers when they remove their body hair. Now I am not a hairy man to begin with, but I wouldn't mind taking a Bic to the legs the night before the race. (I am trying to sound enthused about doing this lol ) You woman (I hope) don't have to worry too much, but these Canadian winters have evolved me to protect my poor legs and arms!

Right now I swim with big baggy shorts, and no cap/goggles. The idea is to be able to swim decent like that, so when I switch to proper attire, I will be like a shark in the water! (IE not sink to the bottom like a brick)

Now all I need to do is build up the courage to squeeze into a speedo/non-baggy swim suit. Would it be wrong to stuff a rolled up pair of socks down there? That water is going to be cold in June!
2007-03-15 7:46 PM

User image

Expert
Rob--rent a wetsuit for June! I just went ahead and bought one because even if I lose 10 pounds, that size will still be right for me (there are charts hanging on the suits). Got mine on discount, so it wasn't too bad. They are supposed to make you more buoyant, and that alone was enough incentive for me! I need all the help I can get. And I have to use a cap or my hair gets in my eyes, and I wear contacts, so I NEED goggles. They aren't too bad cost wise, but go in and try them on or you won't be happy. Some goggles make you feel like they will suck your eyeballs right out!
2007-03-16 5:15 AM
in reply to: #724517

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Robb - 2007-03-15 5:14 PM

First, how important is strength training?

Second, why is it whenever you mention a triathlon to someone, they always respond with "so does that mean you shave your legs or something?". haha like I have heard of swimmers shaving pretty much their whole body but does it really help in an open water wave filled lake? Or does it help on the bike/run? I don't PLAN to shave my legs, but if it will help in any way I don't MIND I guess lol. I mean anything that could save me a couple seconds overall could be the difference between 3rd and 4th. (I tend to be a little competitive )

I read an article by a former IM champ who never strength trained while he competed, started doing it after he stopped racing, and was convinced that even a minimal amount would have made him faster. I think it's great if you can do it, and any work you do on your core, shoulders, lower back and legs will help you on the bike. And arms and shoulders, so when you're standing while pedalling up hill, you'll feel strong and be able to maintain your balance. Hmmm. I guess strength training is pretty significant after all.

Ok, then, new answer: It's important.

Shaving is common, and I never understood why until I:
(1) had a strange conversation, and
(2) took a serious fall off my bike during a race.

Most guys shave their legs. And I say, good for them, with all those little knicks and cuts around their knees and ankles. I haven't, and don't know if I ever will. I'm not fast enough to worry about drag in the water, and most of the swims need a wetsuit anyway.

But the conversation I had with a guy was about biking and shaving. In a race I did (ok, it wasn't officially a race, more like a long ride, but how can you really not race in such a thing?), a newer rider lost his bearing and pushed me out and off the road as we were in a bend. After bouncing off the pavement and berm a few times, protecting my bike with my leg and experiencing a case of torn skin and road rash that has left a scar on my hip, a fellow rider told me that there were bandages and antiseptic about 20 miles up ahead. And then he said: "Oh Dude, not only will it take a day or 2 to get all the gravel out of your skin, but the bandage is just gonna rip that hair right off. You need to shave down next time."

So there you go.
2007-03-16 5:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
phoenixrising404 - 2007-03-15 10:27 PM

Now I'm laughing again! What am I going to do for entertainment when we "graduate" from this and aren't allowed to post anymore???

As the (self appointed) group’s lawyer I would cite the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, where, I understand, we are allowed to express our views as and when we wish unless of course they are profane (Malphh), protected by copyright or are not in accordance with the views of Fox media. I am allowed to rely on this statement (although I was alarmed to see this on the Wikipedia site (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pleasedonotcontributesign.jpg) as lawyers in the UK are known as Solicitors!) as, for a long time, the rest of the World has regarded the UK as the 51st State although this doesn’t accord me a green card!

I’m enjoying this too much to stop so let’s petition prof to keep this going.

Core fitness: I talked to my boss (multiple IronMan finisher so respect is due) and he suggested that the only core exercise that is needed is extended reps of the yoga plank position alternating between being on your hands and on your elbows. 60 seconds in each position. Rest of 30 secs between. Repeat until collapse. http://www.muscleandfitnesshers.com/training/92

Shaving:

Personally I’m going to run the risk of an impromptu waxing in the event of a spill as I think that that will be no where near as painful as being constantly ribbed by Satan should I shave my legs. However, I fancy getting a marine cut. No reason but the Hugh Grant look is sooo last year. Apparently. Bugger.

Sean: Cracking post. Clearly a good race and good to see that you didn’t feel that you had to be polite and let the quadriplegics past!

Incidentally, if you liked Malphh’s “harden the #$%^ up” link, try this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moBAqSkYcKE. There is nothing offensive about it, just a really good idea for a new urban sport.

I hope you all have a good weekend if I can’t post again today (i.e. I get some work to do)!
2007-03-16 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
The PUSHUP--of course! And now they call it a yoga plank--how very hip Don't know about those side ones, though.....

I have to be good and work like a dog now to pay for the (ahem) stuff I bought yesterday. Everyone send me abundance vibes, please. Mark--you need to be a lawyer in the States--those fellows are never bored and all are overworked. Even my baby brother, who is a lawyer, is too busy to stare out the window. Unless he's got brain fog from thinking too hard. Which happens sometimes

(kl.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
kl.bmp (95KB - 22 downloads)

2007-03-16 9:06 AM
in reply to: #725167

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
phoenixrising404 - 2007-03-16 2:58 PM

Mark--you need to be a lawyer in the States--those fellows are never bored and all are overworked. Even my baby brother, who is a lawyer, is too busy to stare out the window. Unless he's got brain fog from thinking too hard. Which happens sometimes

Phoenix

Whilst never being bored and always being overworked may be attractive characteristics of some workplaces, I have a well developed laziness gene and plan to while away my current working week (of which there is but three and a half hours left) watching YouTube, surfing this interweb thingy (have you guys got this yet, it's fab) and generally taking it easy.

Too busy to stare out of the window. Hmmm. Doesn't sound like fun to me!

Having just moved my desk so that no-one can see my screen my perceived workrate has risen inordinately. But we know my little secret don't we boys and girls. Shhh.
2007-03-16 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
Oh Geesh--that photo was supposed to be posted as the little square to the left of the messages. Spose that's the profile pic, huh? Told you I'm technically inept. Well, Prof, had to do the "live long and prosper" in your honor--from all the Star Trek episodes you watched on the bike trainer. I grew up with Star Trek, too, and now own a Trek bike!! Wonder if that's where it got it's name? Anyone know the history? Anyway, if you all want to post race pics this spring/summer where you can actually SEE something--I guess attaching a file after posting is the way to go.......

I just made a tiny baby cry. She was a mess chiropractically speaking. Had to take a breather just to shake off the trauma of making her cry so hard. No matter how long I do this, it never gets easier. The mom is just happy if the baby gets help, and she HAS to be better now. Birth is a very traumatic thing!
2007-03-16 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Good photo!

Try not to worry about the crying thing, when our twins were born at 25 weeks they were totally screwed up in just about every way. Most stuff got sorted out by them simply growing a bit but the eldest, Millie, had significant problems with getting yellow bike out of her red bike!

A couple of weeks would pass before she did.

We took her to a chiropractor who spent several sessions manipulating her head and spine etc. She didn't like it one bit and at one point she wouldn’t even let go of her car seat to go in. However, she can now yellow bike for Britain! All thanks to a chiropractor like you. So there!

Well done. Even if the child can't thank you and the parents don't, I will.
2007-03-16 4:27 PM

Veteran
Heh gang- just getting caught up with the posts- Hope everyone had a good week.

Phone- great pic!!

Mark- thanks for the yoga plank info site- gee- would love to have wash boards abd’s
like that…maybe…..!!!

Recently started back at the gym doing strength training- low wt, high reps. I use to (ie- a long time ago- going back 23 yrs!!)l “pump” lot of iron before it was even in vogue- an have always enjoyed it. Find I see results fast with the strength training. My abds/core not where I want them to be. Have had some abd surgeries- lots of adhesions- find my guts get sore when I do a lot of abd work. Will have to try the yoga – see if I can get some results because core /strength training is so… important.

Shave- yup. Speaking as an ole ER nurse- road abrasions are nasty to clean on a hairy body part. Enough said!!

Robb- suggest you rent/ buy a wet suit. Was in Reynolds bike store this past week- he had some on sale. Although that particular lake is shallow- the water is still damn cold in June!!!!

Sean –nice to read your post- I’m new to the group. Hello!

-and hello to the rest of the gang!! One again- enjoy the posts- thanks for the stories/discussions and inspiration!! I’m off to the dudgeon to ride my bicycle!!
-Hel’n.
2007-03-16 4:38 PM

Veteran
Ontario
Prof: ouch I never had thought about that! I was more thinking of cooling and drag benefits, not so much bandages ripping out my leg hair lol

Pene, I think I may need to make an appointment soon. Last night was slow at work and I fell asleep in my chair but in a weird position and now I have this odd pain in my back. But it was a good nap!

But, working all those stupid nights have allowed me a 5 days weekend. Thats right, I don't work again 'till Wednesday, booya! So if the weather holds well I am going to aim for Monday/Tuesday for my 110k ride on the bike. Its still going to only be about 0C but the wind shouldn't be bad.

Off topic has anyone seen the movie '300' yet? I have been pretty excited for it forever and finally going to go see it tonight.

2007-03-16 5:53 PM

User image

Expert
Helen--maybe see a massage therapist or a craniosacral practitioner that has taken some visceral manipulation training for the adhesions. Those things are NASTY. Can wrap all over everything inside. I work them loose for people post op all the time. One lady had adhesions wrapping around her ovary and after I worked it loose, she got pregnant that very month (and she was coming to me for infertility). She was a weird case that had not had any kind of surgery, so I don't know where her adhesions came from....

Rob--Well, with a 5 day weekend, how many days would it take for you to bike to Wisconsin for an adjustment and back? You could combine training and health all in one Or just pop in with your personal jet....I'm looking for one of those Star Trek transports, myself. Wouldn't it be grand to just say "Beam me up Scottie" and pop in to Paris for lunch, or Hawaii for a quick swim practice? The possibilities are endless........
2007-03-17 2:20 AM
in reply to: #726200

Veteran
Ontario
^ that might work! I will make a triathlon of it. Bike across Michigan, Swim across Lake Michigan (ew) and then run through Wisconsin. Might need to prepare a little more lol BTW, your question regarding Trek, it seems that they are actually from WI so you are supporting a home company

Well it's Saturday and another week has gone by already. Heres my Totals for the week:

Bike: 96km
Run: 9km
Swim: 665m

Working on endurance more than speed right now, so just trying to do a little more than the previous week. Making some nice progress with swimming which is reassuring. Officially 11 weeks left to my first tri!

Saturday is rest day and shopping for goggles and a some revealing swim shorts. I'll let you know how it goes!
2007-03-17 5:46 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
WEEK IN REVIEW: MARCH 17

Well, here in PA, it was 70F on Tuesday, and 20F this morning with 5" of snow in my driveway. So much for my long run. I am a wimp in the cold, and if it's below freezing, I do not venture out. And I'm just not in the treadmill state of mind this morning, so I think I'll skip the trip to the gym for the allowed 30-minute run, where you have to stand in line until your time block and then have the next person eyeing you up -- as in, you've been on there 27 minutes and I'm up next -- and sending you mental voodoo to get the hell off. So, long bike trainer ride? Maybe an afternoon swim? Decisions, decisions.

We've had a busy week here:

PHOENIX spent beaucoup dollars on equipment. I told you it can get expensive, and I don't even want to know how much you spent on a metronome for your run. That's why I just never go out and buy. It's too easy to walk out of the store with no cash left in your pocket. She's spinning this weekend, and is 11 weeks away from her first outdoor race. And she scared some innocent children and families at a local park. If that wasn't enough, she's suggested to some company that she has a tri team in an attempt to get free equipment to (and I think this is what she's looking for) help her count laps in the pool. MARK, do you do any criminal defense work? Or bankruptcy? She might need to put you on retainer if she keeps this up. (Seriously. A metronome? Can't you just count your steps while looking at your watch?)

ROBB made a nice referral to www.fitday.com. Now, about your bike. If you've read past posts, you know that I hate to spend money, and always advocate to not spend anything until you're sure you (1) need it, (2) want it, and (3) can afford it. Your mountain bike will do just fine in your race, and yes, you may very well pass some tool on a $5k bike, who is all flash and no strength. I don't think you need to swap forks. Your new tires will do fine. And hey, the old tires properly inflated would be ok, too. On pavement, and with some training, you can probably get your bike up to 16-18mph, which I think is about 30km/h.

BGT is racing an 8k tomorrow. Sending strong vibes your way. Hope you set a personal best in that race!

MARK gave us a powergel recipe that made me sink like a pancake-inflated duck on a pond. And I thought you were my friend. Oh, and nice bike.

WATERGIRL -- speaking of nice bikes. Aren't Cervelos the sexiest bikes out there? They just look fast.

MIKE and I wear the same runnings shoes. I love Asics. Keeping fingers crossed that they never stop making this line of shoes.

MALPHH doesn't swim in goggles. I don't know how you do it. That's a vital piece of equipment in my book, even if I do have post-swim raccoon eyes from the goggle pressure.

KANDERS told us about her equipment.

HELEN confirmed that shaving is a good thing to do from the "medical care of road abrasions" viewpoint.

SEAN gave us his race report. Good job!

As I said, we all had a busy week!

Someone asked about wetsuit rentals. I was looking through a catalog last night, and saw that www.trisports.com rents. It's a good company, amazing mail-order catalog -- warning, PHOENIX, stay away from it! -- and great customer service. You might want to take a look and see what the rental charge would be.

Remember to post your weekly numbers. I'll add them up on Monday.

2007-03-17 6:34 AM

User image

Expert
Prof--In my defense, the metronome was 20 bucks and it will work for Micah's piano lessons, too. And can you count 189 steps per minute? I just can't and still run and breathe. The GPS device I (almost)got us all was probably a $300 item and isn't just a "lap counter". It is a tracking device to see how far you have swam/swum/are swimming in the LAKE! How else do you know when you've gone .25 miles or .5 miles or whatever? And for those of us less talented, who KNOW we can swim 500 yards without drowning and then are exhausted, it would be NICE to know that you've gone 250 yards now in this d^#n cold lake and better head on back to shore Capeche? Now I'm going to have to keep after them to let me know when they come out so I can get one and track swim/bike/run mileage on it and look really hot with the thing (in dayglo green, red or yellow) on my wrist and stick out my tongue at you:P I say all this with a teasing tone, so relax. But, I did a lot of debate in my day, so there!!!!!

Rob--I challenge you to find out just how far it is across Lake Michigan, across Michigan on land, and into Wisconsin and try to actually do those cumulative distances by the end of summer. In fact--you all should try to figure out a place you've never been and might like to visit and do the same thing! Of course, I've always wanted to visit Ireland, Hawaii, Australia and Africa. So, this might have to be a lifetime goal for me

HAPPY ST. PAT'S DAY!!! I'm not Irish, just Norweigan and Welsh, but I'm always up for a reason to celebrate!! Might have to have green milk instead of beer.

Nice pictures everyone! I love seeing you folks, since you all are becoming my dearest mates! Post some more now for the rest of you, and remember you can add a file after posting so we can see your smiling shiny faces, or race pics, or pics with you in diapers, or in drag, or in costume...........silly mood, sorry.

I have a long way to go in the next 15 days to meet my ironman goal, so it's off to the swim this morning with a goal to do 1000 yards today!! That will be a challenge for me, but I plan to do it slowly and rest in the whirlpool a bit in between. Form is really what I'm after, but I NEED to increase my confidence in the water and my endurance. I'm getting outside with my bike today, too. Even if it's a little ride. Have to save a bit of energy for tomorrow's spinathon. I named my bike Persephone. Why? I don't know, it just came to me

Another challenge, in addition to the find a destination and do it by the end of summer--give us your "why I decided to be a triathlete" speech. No less than 500 words, typed and on my desk by tomorrow. I've pretty much bared my soul on the subject already, me thinks. And since I'll have to be the motivational speaker living in a van down by the river with my criminal/bankruptcy status, might as well act like one (Remember the Saturday Night Live skit with the motivational speaker?)

Ciao,

Pene (pronounced like Renee--it's a Polynesian name)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72