BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2007-04-29 6:55 PM
in reply to: #641608

User image

MotoQueen
Subject: RE: COgirl's Group - FULL
Yahoo! I finally got a Brick in. OR I should say a Bwick. Bike-Walk-ick.

I'm convinced that the bike is not the thing for me this year. We went and did 14 miles on the bike. My chain came off 3 times. The bike would not shift into the lower gears, so the hills were a killer. Then I ran off the trail and fell down. But I did complete the ride. Then did a 5K walk. After the ride, the walk went well. The bike is now back in the shop. Hopefully I will have it back Tuesday. I better since the rece is Saturday.

Hope all of you had good weekends. Did anyone race?

Kendra

2007-04-30 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

Sorry you had a tough ride.  You did great riding 14 miles then a 5k.  It's a pain when things like that happen.  Do you know how to put the chain back on?  I am mechanically challenged so anything that needs to be fixed I'm usually SOL.  Are you excited about your race coming up this Sat.?

My ds has a fever once again so I am waiting for my dh to get home so I can get out and bike.  Why do people bring their sick children to the Y childcare? errrrrr!  I know that's where he picked it up from. 

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!  The weather has been perfect here, sunny 70's-80's.

Mel  

2007-04-30 10:19 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

HI all!  I'm going to try to catch up here, so this might be long!  First off, I apologize for being away.....life has been really busy lately!

Mel: how's it going?  tell your kids they aren't allowed to get sick anymore   yeah right!  lol!  Shin splints....usually from just an increase in training distance or intensity.....not necessarily from the surface you run on.  Having shoes clipped in to bike.....well, you can try it, if you are comfortable with it, then go for it!  Practice first, run with the bike with shoes clipped in - often they flop around, but there is some way to keep them in place with rubber bands.  I don't do this mainly because it's just too complicated for me....I'm not that talented!  lol!  Also having kids at a race is great, but also tough because they want to be entertained by you when you are done - though it is SO cool when they cheer for you as you go by!

luv2bike: welcome.  We have talked about transitions in earlier pages, so take a look back.  And Kateri is right, ipods are usually not allowed in a race.  Great for training though! 

countregirl: OWS this weekend maybe?  63 isn't so bad!   

texmom: Jill, you rock!  Congrats on the oly and you are oh so smart to ignore everyone around you and compete against yourself! 

kbsublime: how are things for you?  You will have to meet up with the CO group at some point....be sure to check the Colorado forum!  We're so close to each other, we'll have to meet at some point! 

Kendra:  congrats on the brick!  You are SO ready for this weekend, I'll be cheering for you from far, far away  

teachertrek:  how are you doing?  training ok?

Kaci: did you ever find that HRM?    And how are things in CA?

Zoya: you still out there?  I'll have to check your log

Trimomnewbe: I'll be checking your log too!    hope you are ok....and how is your training?

If I missed anything, let me know!  I am going to South Dakota this weekend with the family to see Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments.  We're going to stay with a BTer  - my buddy jldicarlo....poor girl doesn't know what she's getting herself in to with all of us descending upon her. 

Good luck Jill and Kendra this weekend!!!!!  Is anyone else racing soon?  I don't have anything until June, so I need to follow all of you

2007-05-01 8:23 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Mel, yes, I know how to put the chain back on. You get a bit greasy, which is why I think all bike shorts are usually black. But it is about the only mechanical fix I can do to the bike. My hubby picked the bike back up from the shop yesterday, so Wed I plan on getting out on it to make sure the gears are all shifting properly.

4 days and counting.
2007-05-01 8:35 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Cathy,

I see that there are 3 other BT's going to be at the race on Saturday. I'm trying to figure out how to contact them, but am drawing a blank. Thought it would be neat to contact before the race and maybe meet up there. HELP, I'm technology challenged (at least at the moment)
2007-05-01 11:39 AM

Hey everyone. Great weekend here in Winston Salem. Only 11 days until my first race. Last night I went to a Free seminar at a local running store. There were several people there that absolutely asked weird questions. I felt better about what I was doing. I am going to just concentrate on myself and do my best like I have been doing. I have got my daughter talked into competing with me. She is 12 1/2 and has done some junior ones. The distances are not very far on the jr ones, but this will be good training for her. She is worried about swimming 400 meters.

We did our 5K on Saturday. Both my 9 (Kayla) & 12 (Erika) did it with me. Daddy had the big talk the night before about everybody doing their own thing and meeting up at the Finish Line. Kayla has been going to the Y for the Girls On Run program, so she was used to running at a pace. Erika just went really fast, trying to keep up with the others, (people doing 10 miles) and she came walking back to me and PUKED on the side. We were only 2 mins into the run. It was quite funny. I stopped to help her.... told her to wipe and come on. It was out of her system. I stayed with them for about the first mile... then went onto my pace. They stayed together and walked/ran. They finished 5 mins behind me. I did it in 34.02, but could have done better if not had to stop for that. What kind of mom would I have been, if I had went on.
--- I felt so good that day. My legs were tight but not so tired. I can tell my training is working.

Sunday, we took her for a 25 mile bike ride. Daddy stayed with us to help her stay on white line, showing how to work the front ring on downhills or straight roads. She had no idea we had planned on going that far. She did good. I felt good. My legs hurt that night, but not so bad yesterday.

Hopefully we will be getting with a big group and riding another 25 on this Saturday, then NEXT weekend is the race.

I took yesterday off... so hope to get back to it today. I have to time myself in the pool swimming 400 m. You have to put that time in when you sign up so they know how to seed you, as I am sure all of you know that. That is so different b/c the Youth races, they race in their age group in different waves, going 8 lanes across..... I was excited to know that I would just be swimming and going by myself, against the clock and not looking into the next lane at someone being way in front of me.

What is a normal swim time for a FIRST TIMER in the pool for 400 m.??? The guy said that it would be between 11.30 and 12.30. We will see today.

Hope everyone has a Great week. --- CHRISTINE

2007-05-01 11:59 AM
in reply to: #783035

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

kns57 - 2007-05-01 7:35 AM Cathy, I see that there are 3 other BT's going to be at the race on Saturday. I'm trying to figure out how to contact them, but am drawing a blank. Thought it would be neat to contact before the race and maybe meet up there. HELP, I'm technology challenged (at least at the moment)

You "PM" them (private message)....to do that, look at the box in the upper left and click on the link that says "inbox"  You write and send your message from there.  It will show as being in your "outbox" until it is read.  OR you can go to their logs and write a message in the "inspire me" section.  OR you can start a thread in the Georgia forum (that is where the race is, right?), and discuss meeting! 

It is always fun to meet up with other BTers! 

Z
2007-05-01 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member

Hello Everyone! I'm still out here training for my race this weekend that thankfully does not include biking. I'm only swimming and running. I'm learning to balance on my road bike little by little. I'm still working with private trainer, swim and run.

My husband just completed 70 mile night adventure race and I did a support team hauling his equipment all over woods in Williamsburg, VA. he is crazy that way ;-)))

Z. 

2007-05-01 1:05 PM
in reply to: #783437

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

luv2bike - 2007-05-01 10:39 AM What is a normal swim time for a FIRST TIMER in the pool for 400 m.??? The guy said that it would be between 11.30 and 12.30. We will see today. Hope everyone has a Great week. --- CHRISTINE

congrats on the 5K! 

The pool time totally depends on your comfort level with swimming.  It is best to test it in the pool (sounds like you will be) and use that time.  12 mins is 3 mins per 100....

2007-05-01 1:07 PM
in reply to: #783522

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
zschaller - 2007-05-01 11:12 AM

Hello Everyone! I'm still out here training for my race this weekend that thankfully does not include biking. I'm only swimming and running. I'm learning to balance on my road bike little by little. I'm still working with private trainer, swim and run.

My husband just completed 70 mile night adventure race and I did a support team hauling his equipment all over woods in Williamsburg, VA. he is crazy that way ;-)))

YAY, good to hear from you Z!  You crack me up about the biking.....by next seaon you will be totally comfortable on that bike! 

2007-05-02 9:25 AM

Well, Erika beat my swim time. She was so excited and now believes more that she can do this race with me. We each did a 400 m swim in pool twice. Her 1st time was 10.04, then next time she did 9.41. --- Mine was 11.21 and 10.53. I don't think they are too bad of times. I checked the race last year results and I am right in mid-pack, hopefully. She is a strong biker so hopefully, she will do great too. - She will basically be in the pool before me, so I will have to catch her and she has to stay in front of me.

Woke up this morning with her and ran 3 miles. We walked / ran. Finished in about 37 mins. I was tired.

I am trying to update my training logs. I did not start on this site until a couple of weeks ago, so there would be a lot of backtracking. I have updated last week and this week of what I remember. I will try to go in daily and update it. Pretty cool to look back on here and see your totals of what you do.

Ya'll have a great week.

2007-05-02 5:52 PM

User image

MotoQueen
That is great that Erika is doing so well. It should be fun to do a race with your daughter.
Z
2007-05-02 5:56 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member

So... I was lurking around the forums today and found this!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=74002&start=1

Who knew that BT community is so great when it comes to love advise? I'm hooked, so much better then TV :-)

Edited by zschaller 2007-05-02 9:15 PM
2007-05-02 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
hahhahaha Z that was funny! You crack me up!

So girls tonight I put myself out there and went for a group ride with some people from the Y where I spin and my neighbor from down the street. I have ridden the road bike about 15 miles at most at my own pace. This was a "no drop" ride which was good! They said a nice easy pace....hmmmmm we were going about 18 average it was alot harder than I thought. We went 22 miles in 90 minutes. It was somewhat hilly, and I got a little behind there but two of the guys stayed with me--they were great. I faced my fear of traffic we went at 6 PM and there was lots of it but I felt safe with the large group.

So I am supposed to swim in about 9 hours hmmmm hopefully I will be able to walk in the AM.

I think I need to have my bike fitted again shoulders are killing me and my umm parts were on fire!!!! pardon my saying so

Have a good night!!!

Heather
2007-05-03 12:54 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Zoya, that's funny!  You can also become an expert on Chipotle burritos reading the threads here  

You all are doing awesome, keep up the good work.  Good luck racers - YEAH KENDRA!  Anyone else racing this weekend? 

I'm headed to South Dakota this afternoon.  Not sure if I'll be able to get online, but we'll see!  Talk to you all soon

2007-05-03 1:50 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Heather,

Take a look into a different bike seat. It makes all the difference in the world. this is the seat that I have.

http://www.rei.com/product/48017054.htm

2007-05-03 3:42 PM
in reply to: #787304

User image

New user
Good Luck Kendra and Jill!!!!!

2007-05-03 4:43 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Did a thread on the Georgia site and have found 5 other people doing the race this Saturday. Going to see if we can meet up with some of them. From what I understand it is not a very big race, but fun. I'm glad that our first race is not going to be swarming with people.

Wahoo! And the weather is going to be good also.
2007-05-03 6:03 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

Zoya, That thread is so funny! I wonder what the guy would think if he knew everybody on here is talking about it. I'll be tuning in tomorrow night to see what happens at lunch.

Heather, I have the same problem. I need to get a new seat but I have to wait to buy it since I'm way over budget on tri stuff. My husband is not too happy with me right now. I just bought a really cute tri suit from REI. Here 's a picture of it: http://www.rei.com/product/748863After this that is about it for awhile.

Kendra, Do you live close enough to the race site where you were able to try the race route out? I've been going with my tri group to the race site and swimming then biking the route. I'm going to bike/run(jog/walk )the route this weekend. Good Luck and I hope everything goes well for you.

Christine, That's great that your daughter is doing the training too. My kids are 3 right now and they go to Fit Kidz classes at the Y and they know Mommy & Daddy excercise. We are trying to get them interested early on.

Jill, Good luck on your tri this weekend also. You're shooting for 1st place this time, right?

Mel

2007-05-03 10:44 PM

My seat of preference is the TERRY Butterfly. I will not ride with anything else. All of our female customers love it.

I love the TRI Suit. I am debating on what to wear. I have been training in swimsuit for swimming of course, and biking shorts for riding. I am guessing that I need to get used to riding in my swimsuit for 12 miles, because I want to wear as little as possible. I am not sure I want to invest in a Suit yet, although I know it would be much more comfortable. I was thinking of wearing swimsuit and then putting a Singlet over when I go to T1.

What are some others experiences?

I know I will need to Lube up too. We love the "Butt Butter" or the "BodyGlide"

Trained hard last night with hubby. He pushed me for 12 miles on my bike and I averaged 16.5, then the rest we paced with each other. In the end, we did a 15.5 avg for 21 miles.

I have not done this much exercise all together ever and I love it. I feel so good about myself. I am so glad that I have you guys to tell it to.

I guess Erika will be ahead of me in the pool swim, and I will have to work on catching her.
OMG..... only 8 days to go till the race.
2007-05-04 9:27 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Mel, I got the shorts and pink top that is part of that same selection. I almost went for the one piece, but decided that I wanted the freedom to get in and out quickly for necessary stops.

( Danskin Tri Tank - & Danskin 5-Inch Floral Tri Shorts - showing at the bottom of the page with your suit on it)

Edited by kns57 2007-05-04 6:12 PM

2007-05-04 2:58 PM

OK - Erika does not want any tri shorts, she is used to her swimsuit and says she can ride in it for the race.

I just don't know. I feel like I will be more comfortable on the bike & run with them, but I have not ever had them. Maybe I will do this first race in swimsuit and put singlet over me in transition, then the next weekend, I can get some tri shorts.

I don't know.
2007-05-05 4:01 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

Kendra & Jill, esp. Kendra since it's her First Tri how did it go?  Give us all the details!  I hope everything went well!

Mel  

Z
2007-05-06 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member

hey girls, how do i submit a RR? I can't find a way to do it.

Thanks, 

2007-05-06 6:49 PM

User image

MotoQueen
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Yeah, I finished. Don't know my official time yet, but unofficial is about 1 hour 53 minutes. My goal was to not go over 2 hours, so I am very happy.

I know I have a lot to work on. The OWS I knew was going to be a challenge and I highly recommend that if you have not done an OWS to do one before you do your first tri. The water was very cold and took my breath away. Ended up doing breast stroke for most of the swim. That bummed me out, but I did swim the whole way, so that was great.

My husband ended up walking most of the swim (He is not a swimmer and I was really worried about him). He had an awful lot of company walking.

In the pictures (I can't figure out how to put a captain on them). I am in the pink. My sister is the one in shape, and the my hubby Frank is the guy.

What a high! I might have to find another one to do before the one is August. This was so much fun.

How did everyone else do this weekend? Who was racing?

Edited by kns57 2007-05-06 7:05 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 34