BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2008-02-08 12:37 AM
in reply to: #1091616

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: RE: kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED
instead it's just deciding to rain on your workout parade.... boo mother nature.

2008-02-08 1:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

AHHH!!!! I just realized I'm about 8.5 days from my 8.5km race! Nothing compared to your half marathon Brit, but since its my first race ever, I just hit with a shiver of nerves.

and scanning logs... what does "strides" mean?

such as in a run where you do a set of

5x30 sec. strides 30 sec. rec. 

2008-02-08 8:21 AM
in reply to: #1200443

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Out4atime - 2008-02-08 2:12 AM

AHHH!!!! I just realized I'm about 8.5 days from my 8.5km race! Nothing compared to your half marathon Brit, but since its my first race ever, I just hit with a shiver of nerves.

and scanning logs... what does "strides" mean?

such as in a run where you do a set of

5x30 sec. strides 30 sec. rec. 

Strides - short, fast runs between 50-200 meters run as a "comfortable" sprint. Good form is essential
Purpose - Improved leg speed, improved flexibility and coordination, improved running economy
When - at least once a week after a medium to recovery paced run or as part of a warm up before a race or track workout. Not after a long run or intense training run
Where - soft, flat area like a soccer field or rubberized track or even a beach on the firm, packed sand at low tide
How - Fast and relaxed. Think quick leg turnover, relaxed shoulders and tall posture. Take a full recovery between each rep. Do not start a stride session gasping for breath

This info is from my coach. Part of her in order to run fast you gotta run fast philosophy. She sticks them in my runs right after my ez warm up since I'm not doing any track workouts. Yet...
2008-02-08 8:26 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
I gained weight this week, but have hit all my workouts so far. So there is good with the bad. Taking a cue from Brit, I "get" to run @ 5.5 miles today. Another opportunity to improve my running form and transform my "whump whump" gait into that of a gazelle! Should be pretty. It's 37 right now but supposed to get up to 60 today. Had a great bike ride yesterday. The weather here is fantastic. Sorry to those who are plagued with less than "ideal" conditions. Training makes me happy! Have a great weekend!

2008-02-08 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1200688

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

So, I'm adjusting my workouts a little as I want to make sure I really do taper for this marathon next week.  I'm starting to get a little anxious--not bad anxious if you will, but more of "oh my" I'm really going to do this! So, that is my focus for this next week.  I need to:

a. Eat healthy carbs
b. Get decent rest
c. Keep the blood flowing
d. TAPER

So, my mantra for this week is "I will taper, I will taper, I will taper." I won't lie...I'm excited about this race, and while a year ago I would never believe what I'm about to say--I don't just "want to finish." I've trained so hard, for so long, and seen such dramatic improvement, that I really do want to get a 3:40 or better and Boston qualify.  I think I have the basis to do it...Now, I won't be devestated if I don't get BQ on my first marathon--not at all, but still--I'm goal driven (sometime to a fault)...anyhow, there are my thoughts for the day! Happy Weekend all!

2008-02-08 5:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Ok, Britt- you and I will be Taper buddies next week!!

And I know I for one need someone or a whole mentor group to tell me to rest. Today is my scheduled rest day and although many muscle groups are sore... I am sitting at my desk with my legs bouncing wanting to put into practice the running advice from my challenge team- basically to run more Bad idea with a long ride tomorrow. I am trying to remember last Saturday when I rested for a day an half and somehow- although I don't trust the calculations- pulled out a 9 minute mile average for the first 5k of my run. Rest is good, taper is good, diet is good and you'll be great in your  Marathon!!!

Edited by Out4atime 2008-02-08 5:35 PM

2008-02-08 7:05 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
It's a deal! Taper buddies we will be!! I know just tapering some of the mileage last week, helped with my runs thus far this week--but no craziness for me, no fast running..must taper! Let's hope I don't go crazy before the marathon---and then just attack the marathon in my craziness!
2008-02-09 1:14 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Ive experienced a few people go taper nutty... especially for a marathon... look at it this way... all the work is done... you cannot improve your fitness for this race...

All this week is about is staying sharp, keeping your body loose and being in tip top shape for your race (this applies to the 8.5k race too) ... obviously the longer the race, the longer the taper but you will not change a thing in this final week!

So rest up, eat well and enjoy!  

2008-02-09 1:15 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

As for me... I seem to have finally shaped this bug and did a bike session today... it almost killed me! So I loved it!

Plan for tomorrow... if I wake up early, another ride session otherwise some strength work and maybe a balance class 

And... now Ive said it I have to do it! 

2008-02-09 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1202539

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
kaqphin - 2008-02-09 2:15 AM

As for me... I seem to have finally shaped this bug and did a bike session today... it almost killed me! So I loved it!

Plan for tomorrow... if I wake up early, another ride session otherwise some strength work and maybe a balance class 

And... now Ive said it I have to do it! 

Yay, Cat! Glad you are healthy again!
2008-02-09 9:30 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Had an eye-opening experience at a restaurant last night. Ordered a turkey and swiss sandwich (no mayo), chips and a blueberry muffin. Found out that was 22 points according to Weight Watchers. My entire day's worth of points + 2 in one meal. It didn't sound that bad and I certainly wasn't stuffed after eating. It is amazing how many calories are in food. Does anyone have any good tips for eating out and staying low cal? We're going to dinner with my in-laws tomorrow night. I would welcome any tips or advice.

Pam

2008-02-09 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

your sandwich choice wasn't bad... it was the muffin and chips that killed ya!  Muffin's are basically cake without frosting!  mmm, yum.. so tasty!  And now a days they are HUGE too!!

Watching my mom (the WW leader) in a restaurant is pretty interesting.  Sometimes it's like watching Sally, in Harry Met Sally, where she grills the waitress and never hesitates to make requests. If you're nice they usually don't mind.  Just complement the food when it arrives.

1)go for salads and always request dressing on the side

2) as for grilled veggies instead of that side of roasted potatoes

3)keep that bread basket out of your reach

4) no sauce on the meats, ect.

5) red sauce over white always for pasta

6)she gets a coffee or tea when everone orders dessert

Generally asking for dressings and sauces on the side are the easiest ways to cut down on calories without sacrificing flavor. And there's a technique to this... Dip your empty fork in the dressing BEFORE you pick up that piece of food. It adds almost the perfect amount. I thought she was crazy until I tried it, but it WORKS!!! Eating this way you will have the exact same flavor experience with 1/4 of the amount of sauce.

2008-02-09 5:42 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

More eating tips....

1) If you know you are eating out and want something yummy make that your 'meal off' for the week (with the training you are doing you should be fine with a naughty meal a week... its what you do 80% of the time that matters)

2) If the meals is bigger than what you would normally at (WATCH SERVING SIZES) automatically cut it in half and ask them to box up the other half for you to take home

3) If you are having more than one course have a starter and main or main and dessert, not all three

4) Order entree sized main meals if available

5) All the stuff already been mentioned - tomato based sauces, dressing on the side, grilled food (but ask if they grill it with oil or butter as this will affect the meal)

6) If you are going to eat out (and dont do it more than once a week) make sure you order something you WANT to eat

7) Make eating out an occassional treat and ENJOY! 

2008-02-10 3:48 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

ONE WEEK TILL GAME TIME! I'm getting so excited y'all...and I'm proud to report that for my run today I DID NOT go out to fast, I did not push hard, and in fact, it was nice to just run it and enjoy it and stretch the legs.  The Austin Mary posted a YouTube video of the course, so I've watched that, and probably will again--it's nice, I get to see the course without worrying about driving it myself.  The way they did it is drive and record it and it shows you what mileage marker it is, etc.

Pam- how'd dinner go??

2008-02-10 7:17 PM

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
what a weekend!!
brit i'm SO excited for your marathon!! seriously, you're me, but like 1 year ahead!! i feel like i'm running it vicariously through you!!! so yay!

ok, so this weekend. my baby took his first steps!! my BABY!!!! ok, so i'm freaking out.
AND i am happy to report that when i hopped on the scale this morning i was another 2.5 pounds down!! sitting right @ 145 now! (i was 147 last week-but had gained .5 some time during the week-no worries as it's gone now)

ooh! something shiny!
(in other words i got distracted-mid post, and just now came back )
2008-02-10 7:23 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Aaw thats so cool about your little one Lyssa!!!

Congrats on the weight loss too!!!! (I like shiny things)

2008-02-10 7:23 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

ok, so this weekend. my baby took his first steps!! my BABY!!!!

When does his training plan start??

2008-02-10 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1204064

User image

Master
TexasMPGal - 2008-02-10 5:23 PM

ok, so this weekend. my baby took his first steps!! my BABY!!!!

When does his training plan start??

TOTALLY!!! i can't wait to run with my babies!! (i ran a LITTLE with my oldest-it ended up being frustrating for both of us-but he's only 7 yet)
i was reading the article on paula radcliffe in this weeks runners world (grabbed it cuz that chick is my HERO!!) and she has a ten month old that she takes in the jogging stroller, and her baby LOVES it. my kids have always hated it.

speaking of that, did anyone else read that article!? she ran a 10k i think (she may have even WON it-i can't remember now) when she was only like 10 weeks away from delivery. and she was running every day until just a week before she delivered! she's totally my hero!!
2008-02-10 8:50 PM
in reply to: #1203853

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
TexasMPGal - 2008-02-10 4:48 PM

ONE WEEK TILL GAME TIME! I'm getting so excited y'all...and I'm proud to report that for my run today I DID NOT go out to fast, I did not push hard, and in fact, it was nice to just run it and enjoy it and stretch the legs.  The Austin Mary posted a YouTube video of the course, so I've watched that, and probably will again--it's nice, I get to see the course without worrying about driving it myself.  The way they did it is drive and record it and it shows you what mileage marker it is, etc.

Pam- how'd dinner go??

Dinner tonight was great! My hubby and I split the grilled salmon entree. We each had a salad (mine had Italian dressing on the side, thanks Jeni) and I had @1/2 cup of rice and 3 oz. of salmon (6oz filet that we split) I did eat some of the bread but I rode for over 3 hours in the windy today so I thought I earned that!

Yay, Lyssa on the weight loss. Woo Hoo!

Yay, Brit for holding yourself back during your run. You are gonna have a great race!

Let's see. Who am I missing? I'm a little braindead from the long ride. Sorry

2008-02-10 9:26 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Wow nice job on the dinner that was really healthy! There is nothing wrong with bread... just make sure you dont eat that AS WELL as a full meal...

With a LONG ride yuo probably needed the extra carbs anyway

2008-02-10 10:51 PM

User image

Master
i just got this from my sister. he's 10 whole days old already!!
Photobucket

ooh, i just wanna eat that guy all up!! (way too many calories though LOL)

2008-02-11 4:49 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

LOL Lyssa - Im sure your sister will be relieved you arent going to eat him either!

Very cute!

2008-02-11 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So you know those days when you just feel blah... Not quite sure how to explain it but I'm having one of those days.

Woke up really stiff from running yesterday (this is pretty normal) and feeling pretty lethargic and kept debating my swim all day.  Terrible drizzly rain today isn't helping either. Common sense and experience tells me that generally once I go and start a workout or go out and be active I'll feel much better (mentally and physically) but its one of those days where you just don't feel like it. does that make any sense?  do you know what I'm talking about? I guess today I am trying to see what happens if I take the day off -since I had some really long workouts over the weekend and the race coming up. Hopefully it will mean tomorrow's workout will be excellent. So far it's just making me moody and giving me the munchies. It's a very blah day.

So when you're having those days. can you guys tell the difference between  when it's your body telling you you need a rest day or your brain giving you "blah" signals because it actually needs you to go out and get your heart rate up? 

2008-02-11 8:36 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

I can sometimes tell when Im feeling blah... but take a look at your schedule (outside of training) because if you have a busy and full on life already... the added stress of training can leave you feeling blah!

Have a day off if you need it... is there something else you'd rather be doing (not triathlon related) such as turning up the music and dancing or going to an aerobics class or something? Maybe you need some variety? Swim bike run all the time can get to be more of a task than something you do for enjoyment... (something I was going through recently)

Id say... if you are sore, tired and just feel like doing nothing you probably just need a day off... if you are just feeling frustrated with it and dont want to do it then you may be over trained or in need of some variety...

When was the last time yuo had some laugh out loud fun? (without worrying about getting up for training or anything like that)

2008-02-11 8:49 PM
in reply to: #1206182

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Out4atime - 2008-02-11 8:10 PM

So you know those days when you just feel blah... Not quite sure how to explain it but I'm having one of those days.

Woke up really stiff from running yesterday (this is pretty normal) and feeling pretty lethargic and kept debating my swim all day.  Terrible drizzly rain today isn't helping either. Common sense and experience tells me that generally once I go and start a workout or go out and be active I'll feel much better (mentally and physically) but its one of those days where you just don't feel like it. does that make any sense?  do you know what I'm talking about? I guess today I am trying to see what happens if I take the day off -since I had some really long workouts over the weekend and the race coming up. Hopefully it will mean tomorrow's workout will be excellent. So far it's just making me moody and giving me the munchies. It's a very blah day.

So when you're having those days. can you guys tell the difference between  when it's your body telling you you need a rest day or your brain giving you "blah" signals because it actually needs you to go out and get your heart rate up? 

I'll go scientific on you. What is your normal resting heart rate? You take this first thing in the morning when you wake up. If it is 8-10 beats higher than normal, you probably need to take a rest day or at least "active recovery". Active recovery is an easy low heart rate straight swim. Or a 20 minute easy spin on the bike. If your HR is normal, it's just one of those emotions you have to train through.

Also, if you are indeed tapering for an event, this is a normal part of taper. You feel tired, icky and insecure. You can get emotional. Hang tuff and continue your taper. Do not go and do some killer run to prove that you are ready for the event. Or some killer bike or swim to feel better. Let your body rest and continue to prepare intelligently for your race.

I have read and been told that it takes 10 days to gain the full benefit of a workout. So if you are less than 10 days away from your race, you can do absolutely nothing right now to improve your fitness. BUT, you can do things to harm yourself. Short, intense efforts are ok. Keep it short. End the workout even if you feel like you could do more. Less is better during taper. Taper is all about letting your body rest and recover so it can give you an awesome performance on race day.

I don't know if this helps and I do hope that you are not coming down with an illness. There is a lot of that going around right now. Stay healthy and stay strong during your taper.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44