BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-01-18 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed

I gave it a try last night in the cold but got about a half a mile and my ski mask was freezing over (and I felt like a mummy trying to run) so I gave up...caught back up this morning...amazing the pressure knowing this group is watching you puts on a person!!

2008-01-18 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1163124

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Hey, if the circuit breaker goes, you should just bag your workout. It is clearly a sign that a workout is not meant to be. I would not venture outside either. Too cold. You should just stay inside and enjoy the day.
2008-01-18 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1163580

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
aber4 - 2008-01-18 10:05 AM

I gave it a try last night in the cold but got about a half a mile and my ski mask was freezing over (and I felt like a mummy trying to run) so I gave up...caught back up this morning...amazing the pressure knowing this group is watching you puts on a person!!

Alan,

I know what you mean, I ran last night outside and in OH it was about 28 windy and drizzle. The bad thing is that it still beats a treadmill!! Pressure is what makes this fun, Just think in a race when you want to quit everyone in the group will be pushing you to keep going.
2008-01-18 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1163458

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
azelizabeth - 2008-01-18 7:58 AM

I made a firm decision to escape work early today. The real question is do I go buy my bike or head to the pool.

Les... that tri sounds great for a family. I am patiently awaiting Danskin and SF nike women's marathon to open registration as I hear they often have same day fills. Who is doing the Danskin? There is not one locally so I am going to travel and would love to catch up with someone in this group. There is such a draw to me for the danskin events as I have heard raves from first timers and novice.

TGIF!!

Elizabeth

I'm doing the Danskin in Austin on the 8th of June. It was my first sprint, and I loved it. There are some pictures in my album of me and my Co worker and friend Emily. She's planning to do the race again too. Come to Austin and race with us!
Les
2008-01-18 10:20 AM
in reply to: #1161494

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: triOK's group - Challenege
Hello group..

Well it looks like weve been infiltrated by a representative of the other side. It seems to me that they are worried about losing. They are sending over spies to stir things up and get us off our "Mojo".

It seems were all going strong, and should end up victorious at the end of the week. It has been a struggle to get in all my workouts this week. I will never give up, but I will be looking forward to a much needed day off this coming Sunday.

I have completed my swim challenge as of about an hour ago. I have one more hour long bike to go as well as a 3.4 mile run and I will have completed all my of my challenges. I am very goal oriented, but I dont know how many more weeks I can go at this pace.

Its not the workouts, its finding time to get everything in with work, family, and getting proper rest. Anyone else feeling the same?

Curt

2008-01-18 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1163580

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
aber4 - 2008-01-18 9:05 AM

Jeeze Alan, I was just kidding about going outside for a run...how about a loop around your living room? : )

You can't touch our mojo, gatjr33. We have "Rueben's Thong Threat" as a not so secret weapon.

2008-01-18 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran

Curt, I would agree. I have concerns over the 10% increase each week, when all of the training plans have you increasing for 3 weeks, and then taking a week to back off before increasing again for three weeks. I shouldn't say ALL the plans because I haven't looked them all, but several of the beginner plans do. 10% increase for 6 weeks in a row sounds like an injury but maybe not. And I'm just competitive enough to make sure I get it done even if something is sore...just to protect you guys from having to look me in a bikini!!!!
2008-01-18 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran

Ok, all you TI gurus, I'm to the "underskating" drill (maybe that's not what it's called but essentially one big long stroke rolling back up to the opposite sweet spot.) Feel pretty balanced in my sweet spot ...Fish goes pretty well...although not 100% perfect rolling back up to sweet spot on one side. Seems like the underskating when you start putting that many components together, I have difficulty getting back up to sweet spot on the other side. Any particular pointers on that one or is it just time and repetition? Seems like i try to get the timing right, throw my hip down as my arm drives forward, and glide a little and think "crap i got keep rotating" and struggle to get myself around. Did I start too early on this drill and should go back and stay with others longer...or did others find this step difficult?
2008-01-18 11:08 AM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT
Sorry group, been a little behind in contributing to all the posts but I've been following along.  You all crack me up, what a group!  Sounds like we're all knocking out these goals which is good, that thong suit was downright scary.  I need to squeeze in one more swim and one more bike and I'm good to go on the goals.  Keep up all the hard work, and remember, no excuses!!
2008-01-18 11:38 AM
in reply to: #1163008

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

azelizabeth - 2008-01-17 9:58 PM Lora...too bad we didn't live in the same area, we could go ride our s____ bikes together. Please tell me yours at least has better brakes than mine? I am aching to get to the pool and just truly have not managed to get there with a busy corporate week and two (darling) demanding little girls. I had to do the same presentation all over again today... all went well but two days in a row wearing heels... is two days too many. Robyn... I missed the announcement about zoot... congrats... now fill us in as to what that actually means. So ready for Friday. Elizabeth

LOL.

My brakes on my crap bike, brand new nonetheless, do indeed suck.  Like, I have to press in all the way to make them even work.  It's so scary, I throw up a prayer before riding down my steep driveway.  If you guys don't hear from me all of a sudden...

2008-01-18 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1164059

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
I am a little wrapped up right now, but wanted to jump in real quick to say, "Hi" and that I did my 25 minute run this am plus some. I did wind up doing 3 miles and ran greater than 30 minutes. Alan, Dood, you rock, I am such a wimpwhen it comes to cold weather!!! Last night was a busy night at the P/T job, having to  Transfer a critical patient to another hospital ( bout 30 miles away) and then 911 calls afterwords. I will try to check back in a ina little while. Great work everyone keep it up!!!

2008-01-18 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1164059

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
I am a little wrapped up right now, but wanted to jump in real quick to say, "Hi" and that I did my 25 minute run this am plus some. I did wind up doing 3 miles and ran greater than 30 minutes. Alan, Dood, you rock, I am such a wimpwhen it comes to cold weather!!! Last night was a busy night at the P/T job, having to  Transfer a critical patient to another hospital ( bout 30 miles away) and then 911 calls afterwords. I will try to check back in a ina little while. Great work everyone keep it up!!! (
2008-01-18 1:44 PM

Veteran
I got my 15 mile bike in today which is good...though during a lot of the ride i didnt feel too well since i just couldnt get settled in the saddle and my legs just didnt want to go. I'm feeling great after it...and it felt good to push through a mentally difficult session. If it wasn't for you guys...i might not have felt so accomplished after...so thank you!
2008-01-18 3:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Ok... how is this for compromise. The bike shop called and the 46" specialized bikes came in and they are putting them together. Rather than bagging my run... I am going to run to the bike store. A friend of mine works in that area so she said she would give me a ride home on her way home. Nice way to squeeze in 3 miles. I know that if I go to the bike shop first... I may never get the run in. I hope the bike is a good fit...I like the way I was treated there and it is so close to home for service....that being said.... I may be shopping more.

Robyn... I heard SF nike will open in Feb or March... I will keep your posted and be sure to p-mail you that day. I figured that would be a perfect one for me... a girls weekend in SF!

Elizabeth
2008-01-18 4:00 PM

User image

Veteran

I got my zoomers today...when I was walking around in my office with them on and told my daughter I was going to where them to coach her basketball game tomorrow she seemed a bit petrified!! Can't wait to try them out but I'm done swimming til Monday!
2008-01-18 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Ok, need someone with some TI knowledge. I just started reading the book about triathlon swimming using TI, so today I did the sweet spot drill. It felt weird, but I think I got the hang of it. But I don't know if I'm doing it right. Are you supposed to bend your legs when you kick or keep them straight? I'm trying to learn from pics in a book, I think the dvd might be a little more helpful.

Great job getting out in the freezing cold last night Alan, you definitely have dedication! Have fun with the zoomers! Are they just like regular flippers for diving or are they smaller? Also, question, when you do the TI sweet spot drill does it make you light headed? Maybe I just wasn't breathing correctly, but it felt weird.

Elizabeth, Did I read your post right, the danskin fills up that quickly? I better keep checking back then because I don't want to miss that. I'm planning to do the one at Disney in May. Good job on running to the bike store!

And I completed my goals for the week today, wasn't easy though. It's nice to have a little break this weekend. Have to make them a little harder in areas next week. I'll probably still go to the gym. Just can't stay away...I think I'm hooked.

2008-01-18 5:47 PM
in reply to: #1164766

User image

Extreme Veteran
Go to www.totalimmersion.net and watch the free video clips thats on their website. Since I cant seem to find my copy of Totalimmersion techniques, I have been going back to the website and watching some of the drills that I should be doing.

Just a thought, give it a try.

Curt

gator416 - 2008-01-18 5:15 PM

Ok, need someone with some TI knowledge. I just started reading the book about triathlon swimming using TI, so today I did the sweet spot drill. It felt weird, but I think I got the hang of it. But I don't know if I'm doing it right. Are you supposed to bend your legs when you kick or keep them straight? I'm trying to learn from pics in a book, I think the dvd might be a little more helpful.

2008-01-18 7:55 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Tomorrow a 20 minute run and an hour bike and I'll have completed my goals!
Les
2008-01-18 8:02 PM

Veteran
Niiice! I have a 20 minute run as well and then I'M DONE!!!! Sunday is rest..sweeet
2008-01-18 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Thanks Curt, I never thought of that.
2008-01-18 9:37 PM
in reply to: #1164766

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Gator and Eliz-- Hey, are you both first-timers doing the Danskin? Any chance of you all coming out to California and hooking up for the race out here? I think it's in Long Beach, but I'm not sure.

Also -- you'll love the zoomers. I ended up getting the zoomers II because they didn't have my size in the little red ones, but they really propel me and give my legs a great workout.

I'm a little behind the curve, what's the "sweet spot" and where can I learn more about it and the drills you guys are talking about?

I'm doing the 1/2 marathon in Carlsbad, CA on Sunday -- my first one. I ran my first 5K on Thanksgiving and have been working toward this race on Sunday, then will buckle down and focus on the tri-training specifically.

Thanks and great job with all those workouts.

Oh, do we just post our weekly goals/challenge on this forum? Thanks.
Lynn :-)

2008-01-18 9:56 PM

User image

Veteran
In case inquiring minds want to know... I got to the bike shop and it was not put together yet. I cut them slack told the woman to call when it is together...no call, at 6:30 pm I called and she said "oh yah... it is together"... they close at 7 and I was not going to have 7 min. to check it out. Def. could never get away with that in my business. Do they just not make much on bikes that aren't over 1K? Do they forget that I need a helmet, computer and rack?

Tomorrow morning I am getting a bike... you watch me.

As far as the Danskin... I want to pick on out... was considering FL, but doubtful since it would be a disneyworld trip and the girls are probably enough to worry about. I want a get away that is childless as my weekend for me. So... considering Austin... haven't been there since I had a memorable summer love affair about 10 years ago :-) Also considering Ca since it is so close and I have friends there that would bring my girls to watch me finish (thinking + that i will finish). I think it opens Feb 7th... FL and Seattle fill instantly.

Robyn... if you sign up for the SF nike marathon and I do the half... we should finish at the same time!

Off to further obsess about my bike. What are zoomers?

Elizabeth
2008-01-18 11:13 PM
in reply to: #1163771

User image

Master
Subject: RE: triOK's group - Challenege

mifiremedic - 2008-01-18 10:20 AM Its not the workouts, its finding time to get everything in with work, family, and getting proper rest. Anyone else feeling the same? Curt

Curt,

That is defintiely the challenge.  My work schedule picked up this week, and I am not a 9 to 5 kind of guy, so it makes it a bit tough.  I flew everyday this week.  Last night until 9:30pm, was back on a jet this morning at 9am, and had to figure out how to fit in my workouts.  I skipped yesterdays workout, and did it today which was a scheduled off day.  I think it is just a priority shift.  I keep telling myself that very soon this will be a habit, and I will not compromise on getting in a workout.  I know I am starting to look forward to my workouts more than I thought I would.  I guess it is all about balance.  The challlenge is jsut figuring out how to balance it.  I really believe most of the people in our group are going through the same things.  That is what motivates me, is knowing that others out there with the same challenges are getting it done.  Whether it is Les getting up early, or Elizabeth running to the bike store, or Alan  (AKA Mr. Freeze) trying to run in 19* weather at night because his treadmill pops the circiut breaker. Everyone has an excuse....  All we can do is just SUAT!!!!!!!  (Shut Up And Train!!!!!)  Have fun man.  You are doing great.

Bennet

2008-01-19 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Lynn, I am definitely a first timer to any of this, I really got excited about it when I found out about the Danskin tri at Disney. The California danskin sounds like a good excuse to take a trip to California and visit Disneyland for the first time. My husband said he would even like to come with me, so maybe I can do both! As for zoomers, I'm afraid that if I get them I'll get so used to them and depend on them to propel me that I'll be slower when I take them off. I've been learning about the TI drills from the book "Triathlon swimming made easy: the TI way...". It's pretty good at explaining how to be comfortable and move effortlessly through the water, then at the end it gives you drills to work on and master before moving on to the next drill. One of the first ones is the sweet spot where you find a comfortable position on your side and swim using only your legs to propel you.

Elizabeth, zoomers are like short flippers to help you propel through the water when you're training. www.zoomers.net

Have a great Saturday everyone! I'm relaxing today...besides getting the house ready to sell :-)
2008-01-19 10:13 AM
in reply to: #1165285

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: triOK's group - My goal completed
Hey gang,

I am proud to say that as of about a half hour ago, I have completed all of my weekly goals. As I said earlier in the week, it has been rough, juggling work and family life with getting all of my training in. I am proud of what Ive completed this week. I stayed focused and kept on course for what my goals were.

So I guess there is nothing else I can do help this fine group win our weekly challenge other than be a cheerleader. So the fate of me being butt naked on my avatar is completely up to you fine folks now.

So I wish everyone strength and determination in these final days of this challenge.

Curt
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52