BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Greg Shotts' Mentor Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-01-03 10:08 PM
in reply to: #2585630

Subject: RE: 2010 goals

Charlie:  Thank you for the advice.  I will look for a tri club.  I live in a rural area with the nearest club probably 50 miles away - but I think it would be worth the drive to participate in a group swim.  That is a big part of my fears - all the thrashing around, plus the feeling like my wet suit is too tight to breath.  I plan on doing more wetsuit open water swims prior to any races. 

Bill

2010-01-04 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2584261

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Greg Shotts' Mentor Group - Full
deehtz - 2009-12-30 12:20 PM Haven't done any events besides a 5k fun run.  How do you find out about events in a particular area?  I am looking for sprints or duathlons or 5-10k runs in Washington/Oregon.

Dee, a couple other things you can do are follow the state forums on this site. Depending on how active the states are, there can be quite a bit of chatter about upcoming races there. For example, I follow the Texas forum. There is starting to be a fair amount of talk there about some of the spring Tri's and about some of the winter road races.

You can also go to the Races section of this site and search for races that interest you. You can search by state/location and by event type (running, tri or du). One thing I like about the BT Race Pages are that they show members who are signed up to race, and show races reports from people who participated in the past. For me, reading other peoples race reports really helps give me a feel for the event and know what to expect.
2010-01-04 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2585630

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX

One trick I did learn this year was to get in the water before each race, pull my wetsuit away from my body to get a layer of water between my skin and the suit and warm up in the water a bit.

-- Charlie

Charlie, I think you hit the nail on the head with that comment. I'm a horrible swimmer, and have had a few experiences in the first few minutes of swims that had me questioning what in the world I was doing and thinking about trying to flag down a life guard. Since I started getting in the water for a few minutes before the race and acclimating, I have not had the same panic sensations. I've also made it a point to start very slow, which I think has helped me too.

2010-01-04 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2574919

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

I think I've made up my mind to do the Honolulu Olympic Triathlon on May 16th. I went ahead and imported an Oly 12 week plan into my log. The swims seem pretty long at times but from what I've read the BT plans tend to be heavy in the swim training.

I prefer to do my swimming in the ocean. I live in Hawaii so I have that luxury. I've never followed a training program in regards to swimming, ie. drills. I've pretty much just swam for distance while focusing on form. Sometimes I'll throw in some finger-tip drags or fist strokes to try and correct some of the problems I have with my form. My problem is that most of the other drills I'm not even sure if I'm doing them correctly as I don't have (nor do I ever plan on having) a swim coach.

There is a masters swim club in a nearby community pool that I attended a few times when I was training a few years ago. The experience was completely discouraging. I can never keep track of my laps. I could not keep up with the pace outlined on the day's workout but the distances were also more than I could handle. At that time I had already swam a practice 2.4 mile OWS just to see if I could finish the distance so I know I can make it to T1.

I guess my question is what do you guys think about swim training/drills for someone who is only looking to "complete" an Oly with a sense of accomplishment? I've never considered the swim portion of any triathlon to be so important that it warranted so much attention above finishing the required distance somewhere in the MOP. I'm not looking to place in my AG... I just want to participate and finish.

I know swim drills would "help" me if I wanted to dedicate a few months of training to focus on my swim... but I really don't want to beat myself up over not doing them either. Comments?

2010-01-04 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I think I see things the same way. I can get through the swim part of the race, but I don't think I'll ever become a middle of the pack swimmer. I'd be happy if I could just move from the back of the back of the pack to the front of the back of the pack. 

If you're comfortable with where you're at and you're current approach will help you meet your goals, then I think you're on-track. It kind of boils down to cost vs. benefits. Drills & technique work will probably make you faster; but if you don't enjoy doing them and think you're fast enough, then why make the change?

Did you see the discussion on the main TT board about % of time to spend doing drills? I pasted the link below.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=191925&posts=17&start=1

Edited by g_shotts 2010-01-04 3:03 PM
2010-01-04 3:03 PM
in reply to: #2592117

User image

Regular
Sweet Home, Oregon
g_shotts - 2010-01-04 7:11 AM

One trick I did learn this year was to get in the water before each race, pull my wetsuit away from my body to get a layer of water between my skin and the suit and warm up in the water a bit.

-- Charlie

Charlie, I think you hit the nail on the head with that comment. I'm a horrible swimmer, and have had a few experiences in the first few minutes of swims that had me questioning what in the world I was doing and thinking about trying to flag down a life guard. Since I started getting in the water for a few minutes before the race and acclimating, I have not had the same panic sensations. I've also made it a point to start very slow, which I think has helped me too.

Charlie: I agree as well. Getting in the water is critical. I've swam competitively for 40 years and open water always kind of freaks me out, especially with the wetsuit. I know I'm never going to be a FOP so I'm content to get off to the side or, in a longer swim, the back and let others thrash it out. Otherwise I'm in panic mode for the first 5 minutes of a swim.

2010-01-04 3:09 PM

User image

Regular
Sweet Home, Oregon
My goals for this year are much more specific than in the past:
Complete round #2 of P90X (modified once "real" training starts in Feb.)
Lose 20 pounds so that running doesn't hurt so much
Complete the HIM training
Try to fit in a HIM race but enjoy the sprints and Olys, especially in the early season.
Be consistent in my trainig

"Enjoy" is the key word here for me. I get VERY nervous before races, thinking about all the things that have almost gone wrong in other races: an unseated bike wheel (but it didn't fall off); shoes left at T2 before I had biking shoes (I remembered them just before the bus left for T1); water bottle/cage falling off on the uphill side of Pacific Crest HIM and having to stop to pick it up and then restart on the hill after 28 miles of biking (at least it didn't fall off on the downhill side!).....

2010-01-04 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
It looks like we're all on the same page. "Enjoyment" is the key element of our triathlon experience. It is my opinion that putting to much importance on a hobby can easily turn that hobby into another job. For me, that causes the "enjoyment" to deminish. Thanks for the input.
2010-01-05 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2593254

User image

Cypress, Texas
Shaved_Wookie - 2010-01-04 3:26 PM "Enjoyment" is the key element of our triathlon experience. It is my opinion that putting to much importance on a hobby can easily turn that hobby into another job. For me, that causes the "enjoyment" to deminish.

That is absolutely 100% true for me. 
2010-01-06 3:06 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

WooHoo. My wetsuit came in today!  Can’t wait to try it out.  I was saddened to see that swimming in chlorinated pools would void the warranty.  Had there not been a restrction, I would have tried it out this evening. 

My question is this:  How cold is too cold?  I used to surf many years ago and would regularly get into the water during the spring and fall when the H2O temps were in the 60’s.  Right now a few of the lakes I can swim in are in the 50’s.   The Y has me spoiled / ruined because the h2o temps are in the 80’s .  They use the pool for low impact water aerobics and physical therapy thus the high temps.  Thoughts from any you fellow group members.  What are the water temps for you all that live north of the Mason Dixon line?

Does anyone train with a wetsuit in a pool? 

Art- you are one lucky guy.  You live in one of the nicest places on earth. What is the job market like out there?

2010-01-07 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2598540

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
I never trained with a wetsuit in a pool but I once did see someone doing it at my local NYSC.  Not sure how cold they are rated for ... good question.

I noticed waterbill records his swimming distance.  How do you keep track of distance swam/swum?

Lastly, I am considering purchasing a heart monitor.  Is there one that you can use for swimming, biking and running that will record swim distance, biking cadence, etc?  Does anyone have any recommendations?  I currently have a basic bike computer that does not give me cadence...

--Charlie

2010-01-07 11:45 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I don't know how cold is too cold for the wetsuit, but I know a lot of people tougher than I am swim with water temps in the 50's and 60's. I think you have to try it and figure out what your tolerance is like. For the cold water die-hards, they make neoprene caps and booties for a little extra warmth.

I've got a Garmin 405 that's one of the heart rate / GPS combos. I like it and would recommend it if you want the GPS, but it's a little spendy for just the HR function. I use mine almost every time I run or ride. The only real complaints I have is that the battery life is fairly short (7 or 8 hours) and it can be hard to switch from bike to running mode when you're sweaty. I don't have the cadence sensor for it, but one's available.

It seems to me that it's tough to find anyone who's unhappy with their heat rate monitor. I think most of the models out there are pretty high quality and do what they advertise, so it's a question of figuring out which features you really want and what you're willing to pay. For mine, I use the heart rate / time / distance / speed and autolap functions. I don't use all the fancy alarms and set points. The Garmin model I have uses a wireless connection to download into the computer which I also like. I'd guess I probably don't use 90% of the features & functions.

A lot of models, like mine, claim to be water resistant (1-meter depth) rather than water-proof. I would not swim with mine. If you really want to wear it while you swim, I'd make sure you get one designed for the pool and rated down to a decent depth.

Edited by g_shotts 2010-01-07 11:47 AM
2010-01-07 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2600376

User image

Cypress, Texas

Charlie- I don't own one of these yet but I've been doing research on them for a while. 

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/maximize_performance/cycling/RS800CX_PTE

I have not yet pulled the trigger simply because I have several of the functions in separate devices I already own.  For example I have a simple HRM, a nice cyclocomputer with cadence that can be switched between multiple bikes with different  wheel/tire sizes, and recently the GPS features on smart phones works well for tracking my runs and rides on the roads and on the trails.  The one disadvantage I have is cannot track swim distances but the majority of my swimming, so far, is in the pool. 

If I did not already have most of my necessities and I wanted an all-in-one device the Polar would be my pick.  One of my buddies has one and it is pretty slick.  The watch is sleek enough you can wear it to the office.  Some fashionistas may call you out on if you wear it with a suit but who cares.

2010-01-07 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2601664

User image

Elite
washington state
cycleologist - 2010-01-07 5:37 PM

Charlie- I don't own one of these yet but I've been doing research on them for a while. 

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/maximize_performance/cycling/RS800CX_PTE

I have not yet pulled the trigger simply because I have several of the functions in separate devices I already own.  For example I have a simple HRM, a nice cyclocomputer with cadence that can be switched between multiple bikes with different  wheel/tire sizes, and recently the GPS features on smart phones works well for tracking my runs and rides on the roads and on the trails.  The one disadvantage I have is cannot track swim distances but the majority of my swimming, so far, is in the pool. 

If I did not already have most of my necessities and I wanted an all-in-one device the Polar would be my pick.  One of my buddies has one and it is pretty slick.  The watch is sleek enough you can wear it to the office.  Some fashionistas may call you out on if you wear it with a suit but who cares.

I believe I read that the GPS doesn't work under the water anyway.  Though I think that some have put it in their swim cap so that it is pretty much on the surface.

Edited by deehtz 2010-01-07 8:39 PM
2010-01-10 4:14 AM
in reply to: #2584261

Dee I'm in Seattle - look up www.racecenter.com or google nwrace : you'll find three calendars on there atthe top left. TriNOrthwest and AA raceschedule /AA tri duo schedule 

THey list out all WA/OR/ID events for theyear

Ed 
2010-01-10 4:29 AM
in reply to: #2593254

I'll second the part about enjoyment! HAve decided to commit to the LAke Stevens 70.3 . 

I did it last year and panicked in the water in the initial flurry cos I got hemmed inby a mess of elbows and feet - had to pu;ll over to a safety boatand hold on to rest cos I was hyper ventilating. Am determined to be better prepared this time. Its one thing to swin 2500 yards in a pool which is a calm and almost reflective exercise - it was a whole different world in thelake amidst everyone. 

So mygoal is to schedule a sprint and an olympic as a warmup for handling the nerves with the openwater experience.  THat honolulu olympic in May sounds great.... just a little far.:-) what a great place to live!

2010-01-10 2:41 PM

User image

Elite
washington state
Thanks for the websites for NW tri events.  I have looked at them, and am considering a few of the events.  Pretty nervous about actually committing to one.  Smile  

But there are a couple that the swim part is in a pool which I know I can do and I would not need a wetsuit.  Actually it is the bike that concerns me.  My bike is a casual ride bike with no special pedals and complete with wide tires and a kickstand.    LOL      And I haven't found a good place to work on riding hills.  Oh well, I will have to pick an event without a short cutoff time!
2010-01-10 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2606131

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
deehtz - 2010-01-10 3:41 PM Thanks for the websites for NW tri events.  I have looked at them, and am considering a few of the events.  Pretty nervous about actually committing to one.  Smile  

It took me the longest time to actually register for a tri this past summer!  I kept saying to myself, i'm not ready, i'm not ready... Then when I tried to register for one it was too late, the race had filled up.  I finally pulled the trigger and have not regretted it.  Go for it Dee!!!

Thanks for all of the heart monitor suggestions.

--Charlie
2010-01-11 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2606568

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington

Dee,

I say "Go for it" too.  Just sign up for a sprint and do it with the equipment you have. Use your old bike or borrow a friend's bike. 

On the drive to the tri you'll feel awkward and self-conscious, but once you get there you'll see all shapes and sizes and ages of people, on all shapes and sizes and ages of bikes, in all kinds of crazy outfits. You won't feel self-conscious any more. And I think you'll have a blast! 

You've covered the distances easily in training, so you know you can do this physically! Go for it! Then you'll really get hooked.

Happy Monday Everyone!

Joann

2010-01-11 1:57 PM

User image

Regular
Sweet Home, Oregon
Sign up, sign up, sign up. Once it's done, you're committed. That's the beauty of it.

As for the HRM and wetsuit issues: I use my HRM extensively, log my runs using the "Routes" function on BT, and my bike computer for distances on the bike. For swimming, I do 99.9% of my training in the pool. It's just easier with all of the boats around here. Then the race is really a nice break for me, open water, no 'end of the pool.' But hey, to each his own.

Do what you can with what you've got. It all works out in the end. I did one tri in California (I'm in Oregon) using my sister's heavy mountain bike, a retro helmet, and waiting in both transitions so another sister and I could do the sections together. It was slow but still a lot of fun. And people loved the helmet!! Great pictures too.

2010-01-11 3:55 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

I'm kind of in the same boat regarding registration apprehension. I've only recently come back to training after a 2 year layoff. I have a bunch of weight to lose and an equal amount of fitness to regain. I optimistically decided to shoot for the Honolulu Triathlon (Oly) on 5/16. However, given my current weight and fitness I don't feel I'll be where I want to be come race day. I'm sure I could trudge through to the finish line but I want to do better than just trudge through. There is a sprint distance for that race... I've done a couple of sprints (2 years ago)... just not real excited to do a sprint. I don't know... just thinking out loud.

2010-01-12 9:41 PM

I am back in the saddle after being ill for a few days – I think the training I was doing helped me get over the crud faster than others at work.   

I have not yet pulled the trigger either.  My goal was to do one sprint and 2 Olympics this year – but there is a local HIM late in the year (9/11) that has a fairly flat bike and run with a lake swim in warm water.  I do not know if I can be ready for the HIM.

What training plans have any of you used from the BT site?  Did you like it? 

I have been using my simple HR monitor watch for training, but it does not track and I pretty much have to stop running or biking to take a reading.  I have been looking at the new Garmin and use it to replace my bike computer. 

I am confused about the whole heart rate guidelines.  I know about website where you put in age, etc and it calculates the various percentages.  That seems a bit canned though.  Since I have been training I have dropped my resting HR from about 60 to 48 – my doc said it is a bit low now.  How do you determine your 70% effort, 80% etc?

2010-01-12 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
I would highly recommend the Garmin 305 or if you can spare the coin the 310XT. Once you set up your HR parameters you will really be able to tell a difference in your training efforts. HR based training IMO gives me a much more tangible guideline than perceived effort.

There are setting in the 305 and probably in the 310XT which will help you conduct a LT test. A LT test (Lactate Threshhold Test) is more or less done by warming up for 10 mins and then giving an all our effort for 20 mins. The average HR of the 20 min effort will be your LT for that particular sport. A seperate LT test should done for the bike and again for the run.

Most athletes tend to train to hard (HR to high) on their easy days and to low (HR to low) on the hard days. Having a constant reading HR monitor is a fantastic aid in this case.

Aside from the HR monitor in the Garmin devices, the GPS feature is awesome! No longer will you have to pre-measure or post-measure your running or bike routes. You will have the freedom to run or bike where ever you want and have an abundance of data available for examination when you finish.

Additionally, BT has a feature where you can upload your workouts straight from your Garmin to your training log! How much easier can it get?

Worth every penny.
2010-01-12 11:23 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Go for it Dee!  You too Ed! You both can do it.  Like Chris said, sign up!  For me, once I’ve signed up and paid the money for the event the looming deadline motivates me to get out and swim, ride, or run.  You can’t fake a tri like you can a 5k run or a charity ride.  It holds you accountable.

It is hard to get out the door when it is cold out or if you’ve had a particularly long day work  or if you were supposed to ride but life does what it does and the plan does not materialize.  Scratch the ride for the day and get in a run instead or put the bike on a trainer or whatever.  Once I’m out doing what ever it is I’m doing I enjoy myself and feel much better when I’m done. 

Also, as we say here in Texas, Y’all don’t forget to wish our mentor, Greg, good luck in the Houston Marathon on the 17th of this month.

2010-01-13 3:03 AM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
I have to echo what Mark said, SIGN UP! If this is going to be your first triathlon... DO IT! You won't regret it! You will have a blast! And... the feeling you'll have when you cross that finish line... there is no replacing it. You will officially be... A TRIATHLETE!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Greg Shotts' Mentor Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 5