2009-08-25 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2365935

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-08-25 4:23 PM

Veteran
Subject: RE: Getting up early
See, I'm not worried about running as I have sidewalks, and a big neighborhood.  It's getting in those longer bike rides, I have to start early.  I'm also worried about hitting an animal for some reason.  Lots of deer and possums and raccoons out there.
2009-08-25 4:59 PM

Regular
Bronze member
From September to May I do all my workouts in the morning getting up between 4:30 and 5:15 depending on what I've got planned.  I love the summer, because most of my workouts are evening workouts, and I get to sleep in until 6:30am. Two more weeks, and I'm back at those early morning workouts.

Here is what I've found:
1. The first two to three weeks on the schedule are torture.  I hate waking up, I'm tired all day, and nod of at unfortunately times.  By the third or fourth week, its not so bad.
2. I cannot hit the snooze button if I am going to make my morning workout.  If I hit it once, I will hit it a million times.
3. I have everything laid out and ready to go.
4. I just have to stumble out of bed, get dressed, and go. Granted, I sometimes worry that I've arrived at the gym still sound asleep (not the best plan when driving), but so far I haven't hit anyone.
5. My morning workouts tend to be treadmill running, swimming, or weights.  During really bad weather, I'll do some riding on the trainer, but if the weather is nice, I save that for afternoons outdoors. 
6. A workout buddy is great motivation if you have one.
7. A significant other who stays up late and sleeps late can be good motivation to, because if you set the alarm, hit snooze a bunch, and then never get up, they tend to get a little pissy, so its easier to get out of bed when the alarm first goes off.
Erica
2009-08-26 2:17 AM

Expert
Northern CA
I am so not a morning person but I have to get up early several days a week to get all my workouts in. I struggle with it too.What works best for me is to consistently get up at the same time every day even if I could sleep in another hour or so on that day. Then, going to bed early.Unfortunately, it doesn't take much to throw me back to my night owl ways. Which is why I'm post this at midnight when I have to get up at 6 am tomorrow.
2009-08-26 9:12 AM

Master
Surprise, Arizona

I get up anywhere between 3:15 and 4:00 to get my morning workouts in.  For me, the most important aspects of getting up early begin the night before.  That means preparing everything I need so it is ready when I wake up (workout clothes, coffee maker with timer set, trainer set up in the garage if I am biking), and getting to bed early enough so that I get adequate sleep (by far the most imporatnt thing).  If I do these things, I find that getting up early becomes routine, and gets my day off to a good start.

2009-08-26 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2371347

Veteran
I haven't read through all the responses, so apologies if these have already been mentioned, but 2 tips I find very helpful:

1) Know exactly what you are going to do in the morning.  Don't think 'Hmm, maybe I'll bike...or possibly swim.'  Have a plan.

2) Try to get up early & workout.  If you miss it - force yourself to do it at night, no matter how late you have to start.  I did my long run Sunday night after the kids went to bed b/c I'd failed to get up early and do it.  Nothing like heading out at 8pm for 3 hours running in the dark when you know you have to get up at 4 the next morning (I teach 5am spin, no option to miss)  Force yourself through it a few times and getting up won't seem so bad!

2009-08-26 11:32 AM

Veteran
Ok. NOT a morning person. Never have been. I come from a family of sleepers. I need a minimum of 8 hours. Not 6 or 6.5. I have (do) force myself to get up so I can do two-a-days when I'm trainging for long or the start of the season. (usually in Feb). I force myself up three/four times a week (I know I should do it everyday to make it easier...). I use the methods already mentioned: coffee on timer, gear set up, etc...

So, while I have forced myself to get up early, I have never become a "morning person". I have NEVER gotten used to it! Even when I was doing it almost daily (IM training). If I had my way I would work out at lunch and at 5:00 pm. But, with a family that's not possible. I don't understand you morning people. A little jelous too.
2009-08-26 12:44 PM

Master
Franklin, TN

The coffee pot/timer is a God's gift to the morning workout! But when I 1st started trying to pry myself out of bed for morning workouts several years ago, a few times I actually laid an Expresso Love GU (2x caffeine!) on my bedside table. Pop that bad boy immediately after turning off the alarm and there ain't no going back to sleep!

As others have stated, same for me dealing with the 4:45 AM buzzer - going to bed between 9 & 10, get in a weekly workout routine and 6:30AM on occasion is sleeping late!  Even getting up at 4AM on a few Saturdays a month for group rides isn't too bad.

2009-08-26 5:15 PM
in reply to: #2367169

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Tri365 - 2009-08-24 1:56 PM
Laerka, I am distressed to hear that you found biking in the dark so dangerous.  Were you riding in the early morning, or in the evening?  Was there much traffic?  I'm planning to add cycling to my workout schedule in a couple of weeks, and I am very worried about safety.  I was specifically planning my bike rides for the early morning because I was hoping it would be safer as there are very few cars on the road then.  I guess if I find riding on the roads too dangerous, I'm going to have to stick to a trainer unless I can find any dedicated bike paths within reasonable driving distances.

Hi Lori,  sorry, didn't mean to distress you! Hopefully everyones responses will just give you ideas on how to best approach your own training.  To answer your specific questions, my accidents all occured while riding on city roads, and all times of day (most serious one was actually daytime and on a road that did not have heavy traffic)- all it takes is one driver not paying attention or not obeying the rules.  I do find that some early morning drivers are not expecting any other people to be out, so they can actually be MORE dangerous.

I guess for me, I just found the risks I felt I was taking by riding in the dark was no longer worth the benefits (this is NOT a judgement of other peoples choices as obviously so many variables & factors weigh in to our personal decision making at any given time - esp since I clearly DID choose to ride at all times of day and night at various times in my life!).  What has tipped the scales in the past years is that I am a single parent, starting a new career and I have had so many things on my plate that any one peice falling out of place would cause the whole world I was building to collapse ... what would happen to my kids/work/home/school/ etc if I got hurt and was hospitilized?? Or even home but out of commission with a broken leg?  Just couldn't risk it anymore, right now.  And I am a nurse -so have seen and heard lots of horror stories as well.

I actually did not ride much at all for at least the last year (two years?), and then trained exclusively on my trainer for my first HIM this summer as it was the only way I could fit the time in the saddle in  ... so if you do find that a trainer is the only choice for a while  ... you do what you gotta do! Good luck sorting it out safely.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting up early Rss Feed  

of 2