General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Maffetone Racing Speed vs Training Speed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-12-06 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3227384

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Maffetone Racing Speed vs Training Speed?
Hi Dr. Maffetone,

Just wanted to respond with a quick thank you. Many years ago (mid 90's) I was in college and emailed you with a bunch of questions and you were quick to respond and very helpful clarifying questions such as the ones asked here. You even sent me your latest book at the time. I have used your training methods with great success over the years. Additionally, I currently coach just one athlete, and I use these principles with her. In doing so, she will be making her third trip Kona in 2011.
Thanks again.

TJ Fry

2010-12-06 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3238184

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Phil Maffetone - 2010-12-07 12:35 AM
dcon - 2010-11-30 10:53 PM The 180 formula lines up pretty well with the pace/heart rate I'm currently using for my running.  Two questions:

1.  Do you stick with that heart rate during the hotter summer months?  

2.  Can you apply the same formula to cycling?   Seems like you're implying this would hold for any endurance related training.  

Konnichiwa,

During the extremes of weather, both hot and cold, it’s often necessary to make outdoor training adjustments. Typically in the summer heat, I would reduce running volume but keep the heart rate the same. How much depends on the athlete, the temperatures, and other weather factors (such as humidity and barometric pressure).

The 180-Formula applies to any sport. I studied max aerobic HRs in many activities, and eventually concluded that separate formulas for running, biking and swimming were not necessary.

You will notice a significant difference between running, biking and swimming at your max aerobic HR regarding perceived exertion. 145, for example, will feel harder in the water than 145 during a run, with biking in the middle. This has to do with the stress of gravity--there’s a greater affect on the body during running compared with swimming (we use a lot more muscle mass during running). So in the water, you’ll have a much higher perceived exertion.

Phil Maffetone

Many thanks for getting back to me Dr. Maffetone.   I was thinking that the thread was dead.   Arigatou gozaimashita. 
2010-12-08 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3229150

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
1stTimeTri - 2010-11-29 1:58 PM As per Jorge's "loosey-goosey" comment, I found that to be a little out of character, and quite simply, not being very professional, IMO.

Jorge - out of due respect, Dr. Maffetone had done EXTENSIVE testing throughout the years (at least in the past) for YEARS regarding his methodology and has written two great books regarding Endurance training (I have them and have read them), and has worked with some top athletes, too, with some positive feedback.  I would rethink that kind of comment.  I would have expected better of you.

Sorry for the late response, I've been away BT tri-talk for a bit, and since I have my email notifications deactivated,  I didn't know I was missing out on this thread until someone refer it to me.

Anyway, 1st of all I apologize if my comments came across as offending but I stand by those. I was not attacking Dr. Maffetone because I simply don't know him. I do criticize his approach to HR training (180 formula), his use of the terms aerobic/anaerobic and his seemingly aversion for a mixed training load (higher intensities at MLSS, VO2 max, etc) all based on my knowledge (which probably is limited) but mostly based on what I've learned from fellow coaches/physiologist who are more experienced, smarter and knowledgeable than me.

At the same time, I am not physiologist and I am willing to be educated if he explains to me in detail the why his approach or the reasoning behind it with proof beyond anecdotal evidence. We might not agree but I always appreciate learning and exchanging ideas. I will concede some of the info related to his approach has not directly been communicated by him and this might be the reason why some misinformation gets spread around which is not his fault. But also, I have read a few interviews or article with Dr. Maffetone in which he specifically refer to a marathon or a shorter event as an "anaerobic event".

In terms of the 180-formula, I learned he might have done extensive research and came up with it what in his opinion is an effective way to do aerobic training. Still, if there is some peer-reviewed papers confirming the efficacy of this approach I would be happy to ready those, because at the moment, I am unaware of those. In fact, I visited his website and I only saw links to his books and skimming through the Maffetone Method one I didn't see any cited studies. (though the preview only has so many chapters)

More so, in practice, with a small sample of athletes, his formula is not as robust as he leads to believe; I've seen athletes who fall off the formula limits (when compared with pace and critical velocity) hence if they were to use that as the method to defining training levels, they could easily be under/over training.

Another problem following a general formula is the great variability with heart rate particularly when we deal with maximal HR. This by itself can be IMO a significant limitation. Finally the idea behind the formula is to find "an ideal maximum aerobic heart rate in which to base all aerobic training". My question is, ideal for what? If we talk about triathlons athletes can potentially focus on 4 different distance, but let's focus on two Olympic and Ironman. Based on basic physiology concepts, I have difficulty understanding how there can be one ideal HR to do all aerobic training.

In terms of limiting intensity, Dr. Maffetone has said that adding anaerobic training before developing your aerobic system can become a problem for an athlete. Assuming by anaerobic training he refers to LT, MLSS, VO2 max etc. then I ask him to show me the evidence about it. Training levels are man made and our bodies doesn't really know when we move from one zone to the next, and the training adaptations we produce correlate with each other. Certainly a variety of physiological processes occur in greater degrees at different intensities, still all related to each other.

IOW, even if you spend 'x' minutes at your VO2 max you not only improve your aerobic capacity, but also you improve though at a lesser degree adaptations such as increase lactate threshold, muscle glycogen storage, mitochondrial enzymes, etc.  OTOH, if you do a 3 hr ride all at lower intensities, you not only might be maximizing adaptations improving muscle fiber fatigue resistance or increasing mitochondrial enzymes, but at a lesser degree also, improving MLSS, VO2max, etc.

Now, if Dr. Maffetone is referring actual anaerobic capacity, then, I ask him why evidence suggest that adding for instance a protocol of HIIT to an endurance program can produce important training adaptations such as improvements in efficiency/economy?

Finally, there is well documented evidence suggesting that endurance athletes training around the MLSS will produce a variety of training adaptations including increase in glycogen storage and a reduction of oxidation, hence relying less on CHO and more on lipids at submaximal intensities. If that is the case, then why he suggest that training above this ‘ideal max aerobic heart rate” can be negative for endurance training?

For the things mentioned above it is my opinion the evidence is not as robust nor conclusive and while his approach might very well work and be of value for many athletes (which is a good thing), the reasoning presented to justify goes against of what the available literature suggests. People I highly respect have presented scientific evidence as to why they disagree with Dr. Maffetone approach. If he presents to me the same supporting his opinions, it might change my mind or at least understand better his views. Short of that, *I* prefer to go with evidence. And because of that, I expressed my OP on the way I did.
2011-03-15 7:36 PM

New user

Dear Dr. Maffetone and forum members:

It seems to me that the original question posed by the poster still remains unanswered. I've read through the Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing, as well as scoured the internet but I haven't found any explanation as to how to calculate the heart rate range for marathon racing. I've read some references from Dr. Maffetone that during the race "you go all out" but that can't possibly mean you recommend people sprint throughout the marathon distance. So, somewhere between MAF and MHR lies the answer. The big question is, where? 10 bpm faster than MAF? 20 bpm? 30 bpm? Some guideline would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

Jacob
2011-03-15 11:08 PM
in reply to: #3399450

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay, FL

Unless I'm missing the nature of your question, there is no magic number or formula to tell someone how fast their race pace/speed will or should be. 

The book talks about the MAF, building a base aerobic fitness and periodically checking your MAF so you can tell when you've "leveled off".  Then you have acheived your base level from which to build upon other training like speed drills, farklets, etc.  But there wasn't anything I caught in the book that had a chart or formula stating "if running 6.5mph for a 5k with HR at 148, you will run a marathon in X minutes"... if that was the case, why race, just submit your training time and call it a day

Perhaps the context he was referring to in the quote "you go all out" is, it's a matter of what particular max effort your body can maintain over the duration of the race (which could be a 5k, 10k, 13.1, 26.2, etc). 

just my 2 cents

2011-03-18 4:40 PM

New user

I think the original question should be rephrased from racing speed to racing heart rate. Since Dr. Maffetone's program is centered around heart rate monitoring, it goes to follow that there should be some guideline as to racing heart rate. I'm not talking about race pace or speed. Just racing heart rate. Perhaps I'm missing something, but that's a big gap in all of Maffetone's training regimen.

2011-03-18 4:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
I don't think that there will be a "one size fits all" answer to that question...as you get more fit, you will notice it is harder to get your hr higher....Each person' s degree of fitness would have to come into play. I go over my logged data before each race,  if I've done the distance before and notice a difference. To say, swim a him at this hr and bike it at this and run your half at this is gonna be different for everyone.
2011-03-18 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Although, in one of the chapters about racing, I do recall(not quoting here) it does talk about using your mahr as a baseline to keep in longer races, IM HIM, til you get off the bike....
2012-07-11 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3404144

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Maffetone Racing Speed vs Training Speed? Rss Feed  

of 2