BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 240

2008-01-15 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1156467

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group - open
Darren,

1. MAP Test: I don't remember all the scientific stuff behind it, but it is a simple test that will tell you when your heart rate gets to a certain point (this is called your Anabolic Threshold or AT)that your body stops burning fat and is burnining all energy (or something like that!). Once you know what your AT is, you monitor your heart rate so you don't work "too" hard and are getting the most of your workout. I will look around for some web information that I can post with more details. I am not sure of 24 Hour Fitness, but Lifetime Fitness is a HUGE proponet of this type of training!

2. Workout Schedule: I used the basic training scheduled I found here and modified it for my "comfort" level. Although I am certainly overweight, my strength and health are very good, so I know I can do more without overdoing things. I have done this for two weeks now (except lower on the swim) and feel like I am getting a good workout. I know I can keep this pace for now and will start increasing in Feb.

3. I know I need to get into the pool! I have never swam competitively, but was a decent swimmer in High School. This is my biggest area of concern, so I wanted to start early on getting comfortable in the water again.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Dan

2008-01-15 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1137328

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
Are you willing to accept yet one more member to the group? I am Peter from Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. Where you say? Go north from Maine. I'm 47 and have been a slow but stubborn runner for the past 6 years. 3 marathons (finish times around 4:45), numerous HalfM's, 10k's and 5k's. Goals for 2008 include a sprint triathlon (750m/20k/5k) in July hence my visit to begginertriathlete.com.

Edited by FreddyBeachPete 2008-01-15 1:22 PM
2008-01-15 1:34 PM
in reply to: #1151551

Haven't logged on in a few days, but if it is okay consider me in. I don;t know that I can commit to posting workouts daily, but I can certainly commit to posting records of daily workouts a couple of times a week, if that is part of the deal.

A bit concerned about my upcoming weekend long runs, someone told me we will be in the sub-zero range (Mpls, MN), although I have done it before.

Let me know what I need to do....

2008-01-15 9:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
RNihill, Rhoda, Marianne....or whatever your real name is....LOL - ok you already made me laugh so you are very in....

Spin class - excellent for bike
Swim - OK you are the expert from here on feel free to chime in on any swimming topics.

What I mean is this - several of you are going to have ideas and opinions as we traverse this wonderfully slippery slope of training...what works for one will not always work for another. My advice to you all is to read all the posts. We can learn from each one.

NOW...I am about to YELL....no one is to ever refer to a 10 minute mile as slow....shut up already...there are a LOT of people who wish they could run a mile period...even if it took February...all month. We are absolutely gifted and talented athletic machines...and if it takes 10 minutes to cover a mile then so be it....hey think about this - who on this group wouldn't want to run a 4:20 marathon after a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile bike....nuf said....no more slow comments....done!

Now that said, we are all going to attempt to speed up....we can all do it, we just have to run faster...yeah that is simple but that is the deal. Try this, count your right foot strikes for one minute....cut your stride to try to hit 85-90 cadence. For taller people that will be tough. I am 6'3" and 90 is tough. Another idea is to put a little forward lean in. Check out Chi Running - I think it is www.chirunning.com. Another good site for run ideas and technique is www.jeffgalloway.com - he touts a run/walk method to recover your heart rate and actually run faster by walking...counter intuitive but it works.

By the way, check out www.trifind.com to find all the local races - the calendars are really filling up down south in Texas.

See you at the finish line,
bryan
2008-01-15 9:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
flyntri Ron
You are in...

I am closing tonight so the team is assembled and I appreciate your interest. Congrats on the half marathon - I am running the River Road Run this weekend (12 mi) and the Austin half marathon in 4 weeks.

Folks, what I have found for me is - I have to have something on the calendar. If not, it is really easy for the car to miss the exit to Lifetime Fitness. Amazing how that happens. So get stuff on the calendar. Then work backwards to set a plan in place. There are some GREAT plans here for free on BT. Also some great books - I used one called Triathlon Training Basics by Gale Bernhardt which I really liked. Easy to follow and simple. I also prefer training by time vs. mileage. I don't know why but for me it seems that time doesn't seem as hard as a lot of miles.

So welcome aboard and get something on the calendar,
Bryan
2008-01-15 9:34 PM
in reply to: #1155361

Extreme Veteran
Darrens -

A BIG HAND!!!! Great job.

Here is our first finish line - who is next?

Do I need to yell again about walking? If you watch virtually any tri on TV you will see hordes of people walking...ok it is usually Ironman on TV but really people....let's figure out something more important to feel guilty about than WALKING for crying out loud.

How about "I am not aero enough of the bike" or "I am not fishlike enough in the water."

Seriously, I want you all to know that heart rate management seems to be one the most basic tenets in completing triathlons. Walking helps immediately manage heartrate.

Again, you are hereby awarded first place in your 5k among our group....YOU ARE THE CHAMP!

Keep up the good work,
Bryan

2008-01-15 9:53 PM
in reply to: #1155700

Extreme Veteran
Dan - here goes

new Map test - yes...if you have been consistent in your training your AT will have moved and it is really cool to see that...if you have not been as consistent it may have moved as well...the wrong way but that is okay to...the idea is to know where you are so you don't bonk during a race.

For those of you who are heart rate knowledge challenged I will humbly offer the following simplified info and we can go deeper if you would like...You fuel - the energy sources are made up of glycogen and fat...that is it. Two sources, arguably both used throughout a race to fuel the engine (you). The secret is you have over 100 hours of stored fat and about 45 minutes of glycogen....so when you exercise at high heart rates (over your anaerobic threshold) you are burning mainly glycogen...so in about 45 minutes you are out of gas and your body screams STOP and you do. When you exercise in aerobic zones, you can go and go and go like the little Energizer bunny....actually you get tired but you still have gas in the tank. Unfortunately it takes years and years to develop an super efficient fat burning machine.....for most of us mortals we will always burn some combination of fat and glycogen...the secret being to be as efficient as possible and some metabolic testing helps set those numbers. Apologies if this is too simple and/or complex....more questions, ask away and we will find the answers.

By the way, your HRM will probably not register while swimming as the water is not a good conductor but when you stand at the end of a lap or laps you can usually get a reading. My chest strap bugs me sometimes when I swim in it.

Everyone should check out Dan's plan - month one looks pretty good. What I would try to do is work up to 1 hour for each workout...basically a 5 minute warmup and then 50 minutes of work and then 5 minutes of cool down....4-5 times per week....try to get in the pool twice, run/walk twice and bike twice. Remember to limit your increases in distance/time to about 10% per week - we are trying to limit injuries and soreness....folks, honestly I am a devout coward so I try not to hurt. Be the most careful on the run - if you are not an experienced runner it is the most injury prone area...something about repeated pounding that causes stress on an old man like me. It makes sense when you think about it. The bike is weight supported exercise, the water supports you....all the run support comes from the ankles, knees, hips....you get the point.

The indoor tri at Lifetime is fun and a great workout...sign up early...they fill up fast in my experience.

Enjoy,
Bryan

2008-01-15 10:01 PM
in reply to: #1156467

Extreme Veteran
Darren,
The MAP test is a metabolic test which measures anaerobic threshold. See my post to early this evening to explain the AT and its use. I am happy to go into more detail if you would like. It helps calculate the various heart rate zones for use with just about anyone's training plans. There are some beginning training plans here on BT...check them out.

I will get into some more sprint plan data if you all need it...

Read my earlier post on exercise duration and ramping up the duration/distance....work up to an hour - that is about the length of a sprint so you can KNOW you are going to do well in the race.

By the way, most spin classes will equate to about 15-20 miles depending on how you tension that bike...but for newbies to spin class....if you are interested in trying it out it is a marvelous workout but ping me here and tell me you want more and I will give you some thoughts on first classes and early experiences in spin.

Go Go Go,
Bryan
2008-01-15 10:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH!
Michael...
one mile down...many many many many many more to come....

I think we can all relate to that first mile in a long time.....way to go dude!

OK, I am stoked that you stopped at one mile...the ability to go further can also be the spot where injury or soreness occurs and as the devout coward of the group soreness for me equals temptation to stop working out....don't let that happen.

We all have a lot of time this year to reach our goals....one step at a time --

Be sure to stretch after each workout...the new ideas for those who don't know this is to not stretch a cold muscle....stretch during the workout if you are getting stiff....always warm up...5 minute minimum walk or light jog....easy spin before class or outside ride....couple of easy 50s in the pool....and always stretch after the workout.

Bryan
2008-01-15 10:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
Dan...

Cool...what a fast bonding group....we are already talking smack...I love it....

EVERYONE>>>
Get in the pool....NOW....right now....I know you may be in your jammies reading all of my "wisdom" before going to bed to dream about triathlon...yeah right....BUT NOW IS THE TIME TO SWIM.

Swimming is typically the tough one for all of us....the sooner you hit the water, the sooner it gets easier. Let's put some laps in by the weekend....

Try to swim about 15-30 minutes the first few times in the water....25s with rest between or 50s if you are doing okay....concentrate on your form...the Total Immersion site online has some great video of some tips and drills. I went to a TI workshop and learned a ton...to give you some idea of how efficiency can matter - my stoke count has dropped from 19 strokes in 25 yards to 13 strokes....and it feels easier....trust me here - I used to think all the water looked uphill....

So into the pool with all of you if you can!
Bryan
2008-01-15 10:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
Freddy....welcome aboard...you complete me....smile.

Our team is now closed with Freddy in as our final teammate and he takes us global....so now we have an "international" flair.

We will get you through your sprint and hopefully you will also get hooked into this crazy wacky world.

Bryan

2008-01-15 10:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
Rand,
No problem on weekly or semi-weekly posts...I will be on several times a week but I travel some with my real job....(I have to support my tri habit somehow)...and can't be on every day either. The plan is to check in regularly...try to log workouts so I can sneak up on you and monitor your progress....

This discussion has taken off with some great questions....bring it on....also all of you should feel free to post answers as well. We are all in this together.

Bryan
2008-01-15 10:22 PM
in reply to: #1155700

Extreme Veteran
OK....I am signing off for the night. I am trying to figure out the best way to do posts...whether to specify who brought up the point or question or whether to just write...I am thinking a combination of both.

As you all can see, I write "stream of consciousness" style so pardon my run on sentences, bad grammar. horrible punctuation and so on.....I will do my best.

I am totally geeked up to be part of this and hope I can begin to share with you my newest passion...triathlon and all that implies.

I am also going to put a list of us together so everyone has at least a spot to see all our teammates.

You guys (and girls...we are coed .. YES!) ROCK!!!
Bryan
2008-01-15 10:41 PM
in reply to: #1158830

User image

Veteran
Bryan,

Thanks for the insights. I will redo my MAP test soon.

I would love a re-cap of all the people in our group. It would be nice to have one place to see a quick bio on everyone (age, experience, kids, goals, etc.).

I will get in the pool tomorrow morning for my 10 laps.

Finally, you indicated my schedule looks good, then in another post you indicated to do 2 bike, swim & runs per week. I am only doing 1 bike and 1 general fitness/strength workout. Should I keep my general or change that to another bike? Your thoughts please.

Thanks,

Dan

ps I always like to have fun and will be happy to talk a little "smack" now and then! :^)

GO Spartans! (I went to the MSU basketball game tonight and they looked good against Ohio State!
2008-01-15 11:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City area
Okay, Bryan I did it. The pool thing. Got some goggles and jammers on the weekend and ventured to the pool this morning. I was a bit discouraged at how much I had to rest, but trying to keep it in perspective - I have never been a swimmer. Have a neighbor who swims 3 times a week, and he tells people to give it three weeks. Did 8 laps (I think - didn't keep track exactly), and rested a lot.

I know that I don't have to swim a mile tomorrow, but it seems overwhelming right now, and I appreciate and need your encouragement and support. I will check out the TI website, because I think the biggest help for me would be some coaching on form/technique.

I dusted off my trainer yesterday and did some time in the saddle (it's about 15 degrees F outside right now, 8-10 inches of snow on the ground). It really felt good. Ready to go again!

I concur with you about the "take it easy" approach. Although my brain hasn't quite figured it out, my body knows I'm no teenager anymore. I usually overtrain (want to do too much too quickly), but I'm going to pace my training and hopefully have a good result.

Bryan, see if you can see my training log. I put you in under my "Friends" tab, but don't know if it's configured properly.

Leston
2008-01-16 8:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
Fantastic, I now have an on-line "tri team".

Started swim practise three weeks ago (3 times per week) and so far so good. I am (relatively) comfortable doing 20-25 lengths of the 25m pool alternating between breast stroke and front crawl. Tonight is class #1 for an "Adult Fitness Swim" program that I am enrolled in being led by the varsity swim coach from the university where I work.

"For the record" here are my 2008 goal events:

National Capital Half Marathon (Ottawa) - May 25th
Duncan Hadley Sprint Triathlon (Fredericton) - July 6th
and possibly the NYC Marathon - November 2nd

2008-01-16 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1158820

User image

Veteran
Bryan,

OK, I did 10 laps of 25 meters this morning in about 8 minutes. I rested about 10 seconds between each 25 meters. I counted my strokes per lap (never did that before) and I was averaging about 23 strokes per 25 meters (except for last 3 laps). The last 2 or 3 laps I struggled to finish and it took me 26, 26 & 27 strokes. I rested then used a kickboard for 2 more laps as a "cool down."

After swim I went into the hot tub to relax and stretch (I usually do this after most of my workouts). However, I felt a bit nauseous after about 10 minutes (which I can do after a lifting or running workout without a problem!). I had to get out and sit down for a few minutes. Wasn't terrible and I will try the same routine on Friday to see if it improves. I don't want to "back off" yet.

One quick question for the group: Any tips on how to avoid swallowing water while breathing when tired? I noticed on the last few laps as I tried to get alot of air I would take in some water. I am hoping as conditioning improves this won't happen and I didn't have to stop, but it did make the next few breaths even harder to get oxygen. I felt safe since I was in a pool, but may have been concerned if I was in the open water.

I appreciate any thoughts anyone can give!

Thanks,

Dan
2008-01-16 9:37 AM
in reply to: #1159093

User image

Veteran
Peter,

I think 20 - 25 laps just starting practice is awesome! You are way ahead of me and your goals are great - I am happy to complete one sprint trialthon let alone try a marathon! Keep up the good work and welcome to the team!

Dan
2008-01-16 6:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Today I am going to try doing this as one post so you will see names and then thoughts for them as well as thoughts for all. I would welcome your input on how this posting method works for all of you too.

Dan
1. A little smack is a good thing....as long as everyone understands that's what it is...if any of you ever feel the smack is too much please send me a private email and we will handle it that way...otherwise I think it is fun and fine.

2. Training - A comment here for all - when I comment on your training and then mention in another post what you should all be looking to do please understand I am not saying you are not training enough at all. Remember that many of you are looking at doing different length events, some multiple events, some are very new, some are experienced...that said, I am offering OPINIONS as well. All of this is advice, worth what you have paid (nothing), it is just one person's opinion. So take it for that. Please understand this forum will never take the place of actual coaching - that is provided by educated, trained, paid professionals. That said I will comment and encourage you to do more.

Here's another one for all:
I think a good sprint (actually Olympic and IM and HIM fit this pretty much too) plan includes 2 bikes, 2 runs and 2 swims a week. Strength training is important but optional (and always run then lift or bike then lift or swim then lift - I read that reduces the possibility of injury). Also know that I think it is very wise to limit increases in duration and/or intensity to 10% (approximately) per week. Therefore, if you have been jogging 3 hours per week then next week you can jog about 3:18, or another way, if you have been biking 25 miles a week, only push it up to 27.5 next week. Some of you can push this out a little more but I will tell you that as you get into higher distances and longer duration of exercise you really need to watch the expansion. Also, you might get in the habit of a short run off the bike. Your legs will wonder what the heck you are doing but it will really help. A lot of triathletes say the first part of the run is tough as your legs are moving differently all of a sudden. When I get out of spin class I immediately go to the treadmill and run 5-10 minutes and then walk a 5 minute cool down. This is called a brick workout (especially when it is a little longer than 10 minutes but it is a great start). Next, try getting out of the pool and going to the bike or treadmill for that type of brick. I also try it in different order (bike then swim, run then bike) - I think it provides a little variety and it is interesting to listen to your body reactions to the different activities.

Leston
1. Rest in the pool is good. No worries at all about the rest or the distance. Keep it up, I promise it will come.

Remember most of us are not swimmers. We have played in the water for years but for many this is the first time we are SWIMMING. Here for everyones definition page - in the pool a LENGTH is one trip down the pool lane, a LAP is the roundtrip, back to the starting point.

2. Yes I can see your log.

Pete,
You are officially a fish. I agree with Dan that your distance is excellent. Keep working it, now you might work to change a couple of those 25s to 50s....not all of them just 1, 2 or 3 if you can do it without overly exerting yourself.

Hopefully the adult swim class works well. Some masters swim programs are pretty aggressive with their yardage counts in workouts. Don't get too caught up in not being able to do 3000-4000 yard workouts if that's what they are trying to do.

By the way, everyone has a survival instinct in the water, at some level we all feel that if we keep doing this we will die. That is natural and your body reacts by "GET MY BREATHING APPARATUS ABOVE THE SURFACE!!!" That is not unusual so when you feel it understand that everyone feels it.

Dan,
10 x 25 is a great start. Great job counting strokes. The more you improve your technique
the more you will lower your stroke count.

By the way, it is a great idea to count strokes to give your brain something to do besides thinking about sinking/drowning. I count footstrikes on the run, I breathe in rhythm on the run, I count cadence on the bike (to confirm by bike computer), I sing in my head on the swim, bike and run....anything to take my mind off what I am doing....we call this disassociation - there's another definition for the glossary.

Hot Tub - Steam Room - Sauna
Careful here after a workout. Understand that your core temperature elevates as you workout, the longer the workout, the more the core temp rises....going into a hot environment after a workout can cause sickness, nausea, fainting, etc. So experiment with this and take it easy. Everyone reacts differently. Also, after the swim - and I haven't really thought this through - your body surface temp is lower than 98.6...boy it seems that pool water is cold until you swim a 50 or 100, your core temp is elevated, and then you shock your skin with heat while the sweat is trying to escape. Hmm, anyone else have thoughts here? By the way, I was shocked the first time I got out of the pool, dried off and realized I was wet again, then I realized it was sweat and was amazed....go figure, swimming can make you sweat.....by the way, I had been training in the pool a several sessions before that happened.

Breathing without swallowing water
Use your gill attachment....ha ha....no really I try to only open the top side of my mouth. Also, from a coach "don't try to suck in too much air" just take a "bite" and get your head back down.

By the way, if you haven't heard this it might help on those days when a "workout" seems like the last thing you want to go do. Remember when you were a kid in school - you always looked forward to recess. And when the bell rang you ran outside to play, many times that play involved running....most of us really loved to ride our bike, for the independence it gave us and I don't know about you all but I begged my mom to take me to the pool. So three of my favorite activities were swimming, biking and running....so I try to think of training like recess from work....I get to go play. Try it - it might help.

Weather
Sorry for you guys who have snow on the ground and harsh cold winter....we are fortunate that almost year round we can at least run outside, some days are a little cold for a bike but it is nothing like what you all deal with. Pray for an early spring.

Have fun at recess,
Bryan

2008-01-16 6:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
Check out the first post on page 1....it has our team information

we need a name.....

by the way if any of that data is wrong, let me know and I will correct or if you want to fill in any of the blanks let me know and I will post that too....

Play,
Bryan
2008-01-16 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Mobile, Alabama
Hi Bryan! My name is Juanita. I love this group, but I'm afraid you may be full, even though it's still designated as open. But I'll go ahead and give the "brief bio" just in case. I can't tell you how much it would mean to be part of a group like this.
So, I'm a 52 year old female, who has never entered a triathalon. I started out walking on the track at a local gym almost a year ago. I was trying to lose weight. Since then I've pedaled a stationary bike a gazillion miles, use the elliptical trainer 3 times a week, work out with weights, and swim 40 to 50 laps 3 times a week. I've lost 46 pounds and have about 45 more to lose. But my motivation now, is to enter a triathalon. I don't even care if I'm competitive. I just want to finish and make a good showing for myself. I don't have a bike yet, but I'm working on that. And I really have no idea how to start getting ready other then working out the way I've been.

can't wait to hear!
Juanita

Edited by juanita_etheridge 2008-01-16 8:49 PM

2008-01-16 8:41 PM
in reply to: #1160798

Extreme Veteran
Juanita...it should have been closed but how can I say no when you asked so nicely. We have a marvelous group here and I think you will fit in nicely.

So tell us a little more about you. Your training sounds good. Have you gone out to a calendar to try to find the tri you want to do?

Bryan
2008-01-16 8:52 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH!
By the way, one more thought....

When you are swimming - when you see/feel your technique starting to falter then stop - rest/recover. Try to swim another lap but only if you can keep your form.

When your form/technique suffers (read that as...it is bad), you are reinforcing bad technique and muscle memory. For a 200-500 yd/meter swim in a sprint you would probably be able to muscle through it but if you are swimming longer then technique is really really important.

So swim with good technique, when it suffers, stop and rest....then try a little more until your form won't hold.

In swimming - technique is the MOST important component. More yards doesn't equal better technique.....only better technique equals better technique. A couple of swim lessons at the health club might not be a bad idea.

Others, don't hesitate to chime in on this too.

Be a fish,
Bryan

Edited by left.right.repeat 2008-01-16 8:53 PM
2008-01-16 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Mobile, Alabama
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH!
Bryan omg, I'm in?! Woohoo! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ok, let's see... Yes, I've checked out local triathalons, through the internet. Did that months ago. I have about a dozen websites saved to favorites. I live in Mobile, Alabama so there a number of them within easy driving distance. I'm only looking at the sprints for now. I have questions like, will I need a wetsuit for swimming? I know lakes are cold. Brrr. My daughter grew up swimming age group, USA leagues and has helped me with my freestyle. In fact, she taught me how to do flip turns last October, and while they aren't great, they keep me swimming continuously and I can swim, albiet not very fast, for 60 or 70 minutes easy without stopping. Also, is it ok to enter on a mountain/hybrid bike? That's about all I can afford at this time.
The "TriForGod" sprint in Madison, Ms. sounds like a good one to start with. Your opinion will be greatly appreciated!
http://www.tri4god.com/2004sprinttriathlon.htm
I need to do some reading here, and learn how to set up my training logs. And then? Not sure what to do next, but I'm sure open to instruction!
Thank you again, Bryan!

Edited by juanita_etheridge 2008-01-16 9:19 PM
2008-01-16 9:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Mobile, Alabama
P.S.
A little more about me for the group can be found on my "Spark People" page. I'll set up my profile here as soon as I can!
*big smile*
http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage.asp?id=AUBURNGAL
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH! Rss Feed  

of 240