Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 137

2008-12-18 4:22 PM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL

I agree with Kelli/Justin as well, it's great reading everyone's story and what goals they are working towards.  I'm not sure exactly how this whole mentor role is supposed to work but I plan to watch this thread and all of our logs and throw out comments/suggestions along the way. If I'm being too picky or you're just tired of hearing what I have to say just say so

Also, I use a lot of short hand in my workouts so if you have a question let me know. Most workouts can be modified to fit anyone regardless of ability so if you're no longer excited about your workouts, switch it up and steal away.

Time to head home and get a bike ride in... I already feel more motivated to have a good session since I have people watching Tongue out

2008-12-18 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI

Hey Ya'll. I hate to desert my group but I am going to move on over to another group. The person leading the group is from Wisconsin and is racing in some of my events. That is the only reason I am moving!

I wish you all well in your endevors! Sorry to be such a short lived member!

Good Luck!

2008-12-18 10:59 PM

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN

Oh, to bad Tracy left.  I'm over by her multiple times an year to race or crew for my friend o well.  I guess if I found someone in MN that I jived with I'd be tempted to jump ship too.  though I feel like I'm in the right group after reading Evondo's info!

Anyway today I was at the Tri store picking up some stuff and I was chatting with the women that works there.  She suggested to do one sprint and and an Olympic.  My plan was to do 2 sprints and some other none tri but related events this year then step it up next year.  Any thoughts on this??? 

As for swimming I haven't really started yet.  I know how to swim and have been told I'm a good swimmer, but that was not in an enduro context.  I'm really trying to focus on the running thing right now.  Once I finish the couch to 5k program I'm planning to get some swimming lessons and get cracking at that parts.  I'm actually looking forward to hitting the gym 6 days a week!

Ok need to sleep, long day of work tomorrow and about 2 hours at the gym after that Woohooo!!!

Edited by Epyon 2008-12-18 11:02 PM
2008-12-19 7:52 AM
in reply to: #1862034

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
evondo - 2008-12-18 5:22 PM

Time to head home and get a bike ride in... I already feel more motivated to have a good session since I have people watching Tongue out

I totally thought that last night when I was debating skipping my run!  

I third Kelli and Justin, great to be part of a group!  I've got to figure out how to do that whole profile adding thing... I'm not exactly the most technologically inclined.

What workouts does everyone have planned this weekend?  I've got a "long" swim tonight and a "long" bike on Saturday... I believe they are scheduled at 1500 yds and 1.5 hours respectively.  I'm trying to figure out a way I can do the ride outside this weekend, but it seems that all of my daylight hours are fully booked.  I hate the trainer.  Hate it with a passion.  Hate it even more when it's 70 and sunny outside and I just do'nt have time to ride.  Hehe.

Happy Friday everyone!

2008-12-19 7:58 AM
in reply to: #1862686

User image

Master
New York, NY
Epyon - 2008-12-18 11:59 PM

Anyway today I was at the Tri store picking up some stuff and I was chatting with the women that works there.  She suggested to do one sprint and and an Olympic.  My plan was to do 2 sprints and some other none tri but related events this year then step it up next year.  Any thoughts on this??? 

In my opinion & from my experience in this having been my first year of doing tri's, if you're up for it and you want to, I think you can definitely get in more than 2 races.  Especially if you're starting to train/build a base now.  While I had a decent running base, I started training in May and did 3 sprints, the first in mid-July and the others in September.  I really wanted to fit in a couple more races, but it just didn't work out logistically for me.

2008-12-19 8:14 AM
in reply to: #1862928

User image

Master
New York, NY
Nicole83 - 2008-12-19 8:52 AM
evondo - 2008-12-18 5:22 PM

I totally thought that last night when I was debating skipping my run!  

What workouts does everyone have planned this weekend?  I've got a "long" swim tonight and a "long" bike on Saturday... I believe they are scheduled at 1500 yds and 1.5 hours respectively.  I'm trying to figure out a way I can do the ride outside this weekend, but it seems that all of my daylight hours are fully booked.  I hate the trainer.  Hate it with a passion.  Hate it even more when it's 70 and sunny outside and I just do'nt have time to ride.  Hehe.

I definitely feel more motivated since I know other people will be looking at my log!  Haha.  But, even when no one else was checking  up on me having the log is motivating in itself (at least for me) and keeps your honest  in training....one of the thing I love about BT!  This week holiday  parties, shopping etc have taken a toll on my workouts this week and I have a feeling next week will be more of the same.  Come January I'll be on a consistent schedule.

Nicole....I hear you on the trainer.  More than anything I just get extremely bored!  I've just started using the Spinervals dvd's...I recommend them!!!  It's such a great workout and it makes the time on the trainer fly by!

For my workouts this weekend I'm planning to get in a little time on the trainer tonight and a 5 mile run tomorrow assuming it's not icy.

2008-12-19 8:26 AM
in reply to: #1862939

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
KelliD - 2008-12-19 7:58 AM
Epyon - 2008-12-18 11:59 PM

In my opinion & from my experience in this having been my first year of doing tri's, if you're up for it and you want to, I think you can definitely get in more than 2 races.  Especially if you're starting to train/build a base now.  While I had a decent running base, I started training in May and did 3 sprints, the first in mid-July and the others in September.  I really wanted to fit in a couple more races, but it just didn't work out logistically for me.

I share the same opinion as Kelli... If you feel like your base is coming along, a race can be used as a test, or it can be used as an additional training tool.  Group swim starts... I am not sure if you ever master them, but knowing what to expect is half the battle, and the best way to learn that is by doing some sprints, where the field may not be as large or as intimidating.  Races are a good place to work on your transitions as well.  It can be hard at times to work these into Training, even when you're doing bricks. (bike/run or swim/bike workouts/training sessions)

I did several races (maybe even too many) for my first season... but I learned a lot by doing them and watching others at the races...  Even if you don't race in them, consider going and watching a race or two.  It's fun, motivating, the other triathlets are usually very welcoming, and you can pick up several tricks from watching everyone.

2008-12-19 8:28 AM

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN

Nicole,

Last night was the first time that I wasn't completely board to tears on the trainer.  The difference was having someone there with you.  I have heard good things about the Spinervals disks as well.  Maybe that will trick you into thinking you are not alone and make it more bearable. 

Hmm I guess having a good base to build on is what I'm worried about.  I'm very new to 2 of the 3 sports involved.  I'd think that getting more familiar with them and what it takes for my body to do them in rapid succession will pay off on the long run leading up to longer events???  I'm going to discuss this with my personal trainer/tri friend at the Gym when I see her next as well.

As for work outs this weekend I'm going after work and Sunday. run walk is 15/15 then I think I will have a 10min bike session, followed but some lifting.  I'm really sticking to this couch to 5k plan till its done then get on to swimming and other sport maintainance/growth.  Sunday should look a lot Friday night.

Edited by Epyon 2008-12-19 8:33 AM
2008-12-19 8:35 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
I really need to remember to use my training log on BT.  I keep an excel workbook of my training and I always log there.  I forget to log the info again on BT.  I will work harder at entering the info there too... Having others keeping an eye on ya, definitely help keep me accountable... NO EXCUSES now.
2008-12-19 8:44 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

I do have a few of the spinnervals dvds, but once I've done them a few times even they bore me.

Though lately I have become addicted to the show Alias (which is sadly no longer on tv)... but watching Jennifer Garner kick butt while pedaling is a little less mind numbing than random reality tv.

2008-12-19 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1863032

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN

HEH reality tv is mind numbing in and of itself!

Have a good day everyone!!!  Good work outs too!!

2008-12-19 8:47 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Epyon-

Because of a really bad race experience and trying to race a distance that was too long for my fitness and comfort level at the time, I ended up taking over a year off of triathlon.  Truth be told, it scared the hell out of me and I just didn't want to do it anymore.

So I guess I'm of the oponion that you know your limits better than anyone.  If you are new to 2 of the sports, I would suggest planning a season that you feel comfortable with, and confident that you can be successful in. 

This is the type of sport you can do for a lifetime, and you will have plenty of time to tackle longer distances as you go.

Just my two cents.

2008-12-19 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1862928

User image

Master
Houston

Thankfully this is my recovery week so the mileage drops down a bit for me. Just finished my long run this AM and have a 40mi bike ride tomorrow.

Do you have bike lights? I just recently started biking while it was still dark in the morning for the same reason, I can't stand the trainer for more than a hour. I made sure the route I picked had street lamps along the way and didn't have any issues with seeing. Just make sure to have a blinking red light in the back so others see you...

Nicole83 - 2008-12-19 7:52 AM

Happy Friday everyone!

2008-12-19 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1862686

User image

Master
Houston

I agree with everyone's advice on this, you will know what your body is capable of better than anyone else.  My advice is to focus solely on your first sprint tri and train towards that, you can always re-evaluate your 2nd race of the year then.  During my first year I was only capable of sprints and didn't want to risk injury putting my body through an Olympic race but ultimately it's what your body is telling you at that point. 

Epyon - 2008-12-18 10:59 PM

She suggested to do one sprint and and an Olympic.  My plan was to do 2 sprints and some other none tri but related events this year then step it up next year.  Any thoughts on this??? 

2008-12-19 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1863210

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

No bike lights for me.  I actually am still having some anxiety about riding.  I got into a really bad crash about a year ago and still only really feel safe on bike paths.  I need to get involved with some groups in the area to get back out on the road.

evondo - 2008-12-19 11:00 AM

Thankfully this is my recovery week so the mileage drops down a bit for me. Just finished my long run this AM and have a 40mi bike ride tomorrow.

Do you have bike lights? I just recently started biking while it was still dark in the morning for the same reason, I can't stand the trainer for more than a hour. I made sure the route I picked had street lamps along the way and didn't have any issues with seeing. Just make sure to have a blinking red light in the back so others see you...

Nicole83 - 2008-12-19 7:52 AM

Happy Friday everyone!

2008-12-19 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1863261

User image

Master
Houston

Yikes, totally understandable! Glad to see that you're doing well now and getting back into things

Nicole83 - 2008-12-19 10:22 AM

No bike lights for me.  I actually am still having some anxiety about riding.  I got into a really bad crash about a year ago and still only really feel safe on bike paths.  I need to get involved with some groups in the area to get back out on the road.

2008-12-19 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1863271

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Thanks man.

You know... we might have to do something about that Gator.  I'm an FSU alumni and that's just wrong.

2008-12-19 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1863273

User image

Master
Houston

I could change it to the national championship trophy if you'd like

Funny thing is I was just doing it as a place holder till I had a chance to dig through some tri pics. I just wish this weekend wasnt going to be so busy

2008-12-19 1:13 PM
in reply to: #1863620

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
evondo - 2008-12-19 1:51 PM

I could change it to the national championship trophy if you'd like

Funny thing is I was just doing it as a place holder till I had a chance to dig through some tri pics. I just wish this weekend wasnt going to be so busy

My you're witty.    Hehe, just kidding.  All in good fun.  I was actually rooting for Tebow to win the Heisman... the kid really did an amazing job this year.

Are you a UF alum or just a fan?

2008-12-19 1:44 PM
in reply to: #1863676

User image

Master
Houston

I'm an alum, swam there until it was getting in the way with school. 15-20k/day with weights and running mixed in 6 days a week can get pretty rough.

Tebow played well but I kind of figured his Heisman chances were slim, lets just hope OU now has the Heisman curse for the NC game! 

2008-12-19 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1863741

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
evondo - 2008-12-19 2:44 PM

I'm an alum, swam there until it was getting in the way with school. 15-20k/day with weights and running mixed in 6 days a week can get pretty rough.

Tebow played well but I kind of figured his Heisman chances were slim, lets just hope OU now has the Heisman curse for the NC game! 

That does sound rough!  I dated a track guy for all of 5 minutes in college and his schedule was pretty insane.  Collegiate athletes have pretty much no social life.

If you don't mind my asking, what years were you at UF?  I knew a lot of people there when I was in school as I was in Gainsville quite a bit.  I was in college from 2001-2004. 

And for as much as I was rooting for Tebow, I totally can't cheer for UF to win against OU.   You're on your own there.

2008-12-19 3:23 PM
in reply to: #1863896

User image

Master
Houston

Ya when swimming we only had Saturday night to enjoy so that night was pretty crazy but the rest of the time was spent working out, sleeping or eating. 

I don't mind at all, I was at UF from 2000-2003. No worries, I understand ya can't cheer for us

2008-12-19 4:43 PM
in reply to: #1863961

User image

Master
Houston

Out of curiosity... what's everyone's training schedule? So then we'll know when to 'inspire' you on your training log For those that have done a tri before, did you write your own training plan, use a BT one or just fly by the seat of your pants?

My schedule:
M: run (hills)
T: swim (am) / bike (pm)
W: run (intervals/progressive)
R: swim (am) / bike (pm)
F: long run (am)
Sa: long bike (am)
Su: OFF

2008-12-19 9:44 PM
in reply to: #1863234

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN

Great to hear.  I was thinking that what I was planning was a safe way to get a good start and develop a strong base!  Thanks for all your opinions everyone! 

My training schedule looks like this, for now.

Monday: off

Tuesday: Run (30min)

Wed: off

Thursday: Bike (just started this, did 30min consistant last week)

Friday: Run 30 min, Lift (light toning and some possible very light biking)

Saturday: off

Sunday:  Run 30 min, Lift (light toning and some possible very light biking)

As I've said before I'm doing the couch to 5K aggresive plan right night now.  A friend and I train together twice a week so I lift with him and some of his riding as well.  

2008-12-19 10:28 PM
in reply to: #1864086

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

So far this is my schedule while trying to get my calf to heal up well enough to run more. I dont have swimming because I am focusing on the Dual in Feb and need to get ready for the run part quickly. 

Basically I run at noon during and do the bike trainer Tues and Thurs. Either Sat or Sun I will do a long Bike ride. Long for me now is about 25-30 miles. My running started with 1 mile per session and last week was 1.25. Next week I will be doing 1.5. I am finally starting to make some small progress where the calf doesnt just hurt and ache all day. I am hoping by mid Jan I can get back to normal. I lift weights on MWF pm. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137