of 22

2008-12-22 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1857070

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: Barqhead's Group - Open
Welcome John!

It is hard to make a training a priority when you have a full time job and lukewarm spouse support. Gotta keep the family happy. Short course racing may be your best bet until you can the blessing from your wife and kids to go for that HIM. Sprints are still a blast! You still have to train consistently for them, but the good news is your over-distance endurance doesn't have to be as long. With swimming being your weakness and the swim in most sprints still around 500 - 800 meters, I'd start working that discipline once the holidays have passed.

2008-12-22 8:08 AM
in reply to: #1866826

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Anonymous - 2008-12-22 6:03 AM

Hey,

Still trying to figure out how to get my planned workouts online. But 'll do it asap.

Other important issue, my tibial fleece is inflammated(used online translater for this), so my shinbone hurts like hell when running. so i wont go for a run the next two weeks.
All the focus will be on biking and swimming.

And the ironman i want to compete in is the half ironman of antwerp in august

Thx for the help

I found out how to plan my workouts, so i've just put today's plan online.
Will put more plans on asap.

Greets

Sounds like shin splints, Jonathan. Good deal that you are not running to give it a break. How old are your shoes? When my shins start hurting usually it is a sign that my shoes need to be replaced. I'm hard on running shoes and usually wear out the cush in them by 250 miles. I will wear my old running shoes as gym shoes and then as "everyday" sneakers. They still have the support to walk around in or even strength train, just not enough to protect my shins while running.
2008-12-22 8:25 AM
in reply to: #1866752

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Hey John~  Great idea about meeting some members.  I agree 100%.  Living in WNC, we should get together sometime for a mtn. bike ride.  I plan on doing Xterra Uwharrie again this year in May.  I usually ride Dupont or Pisgah (Bent Creek area).  Greenville is also hosting two sprints that I will be doing.  You should check them out.  Even though I got a flat tire last year, the Greenville Tri was fun and well run.
2008-12-22 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Running Question for you Pam~

Being new to running, I am completely clueless about a bunch of stuff.  I feel like I have made great progress from my start in Sept, but am really nervous about the whole injury side.  In all of my runs, I have never really felt like I pushed myself well beyond my ability.  According to other posters on this site, I should slow down.  Unfortunately, I don't have a HRM yet.  Hopefully that will change on Thursday.  During my runs I feel like I can have a decent conversation with another person.  So, I don't feel like I am overdoing things.  Here comes the problem:  I have been feeling my IT Band flare a little at times during the run.  It doesn't hurt.  It just periodically lets me know it's there.  Now, being that I don't feel like I am overdoing it, my thoughts turn to my shoes.  My shoes are not running shoes.  ~They are more of the "Wow, those are pretty cool type."  They are some kind of Adidas MicroBounce.?  I don't think they have much support or cushion for running.  My plan is to go to Run In and get fitted for some shoes after the holidays.  My question is could the little flare ups come from improper shoes?  I would think they would, but not 100% sure.  My brother is the track coach at a college in PA and is coming down for Christmas, so I'm going to pick his brain about proper running technique.  Thanks for the advice.

2008-12-22 9:24 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
You need real running shoes! Also the roads around here are crowned, meaning that they slope steeply to the left to aid in water run-off. So if you're feeling left-side IT pain, you may want to run in the middle of the road whenever possible or change up your routes frequently. Jeff and B at Run In will take care of you. And if you get a pair of shoes that doesn't work after the first few runs, they take 'em back and help you find ones that do.

As far as effort levels, you should mix it up with distances and speed. All runs should include a warm up and a cool down. You can also include some drills like skipping or strides (on a soft surface like a soccer field). A typical training week for me in running (last week, actually) includes a 5 mile run with 15 minutes of warm up, 1:30 of counting foot strikes aiming for 30 per 30 seconds, 5x30 seconds of hard effort followed by 5x 1 minute of recovery, then 5x 1 minute all out, followed by 5x 30 seconds recovery, then 15 minutes of easy jogging for a cool down. My next run was about 4 miles structured as 15 minute warm up, 4x1:30 hard effort followed by 4x2:30 recovery and a half mile of easy jogging for a cool down. My last run of the week was 10 miles at a comfortable/easy pace. I ran on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday which gave my body plenty of rest between each run session.

Again, make the hard efforts hard. You should be breathing heavy, turning your legs over as fast as possible, gasping! The easy parts should drop your HR, get your breathing under control, and relax you. Of course, the last intervals are always harder than the first ones because it takes a lot more effort just to maintain your speed as your body fatigues. The recoveries are easy so you can really work hard during the interval. Do not try to push recoveries or warm ups and cool downs. Overall pace does not matter during a training run. Your body needs those easy efforts. It also helps you learn how to recover while still running, very important during a race, especially if you go out way too fast off the bike.

2008-12-22 11:38 AM

New user

Roosdaal

Well my shoes are fairly new(or so my wallet thinks). I bought them in august, so it could be that the cushion is worn out. Thinking about buying Saucony because i have a little pronation while running.

Went for a short bike ride today.
my intention was to get all the lactic acid out of my legs after my 47mile ride, but i didn't like the pace so i picked it up to about 23miles/h. it really burned but hey if i'd be easy everybody could do it.

going to the pool now and swim about 1700yards so i know my time on 100yards and can really start to train.

2008-12-22 11:45 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
I'm hoping to get a couple more people in the group before I close it, especially since Nicole and Tania appear to be shy! C'mon, ladies! Don't be afraid to post Anyhoo, back to topic, it might take awhile with this being a huge holiday week and all. So I'm gonna dive right in and a give my thoughts on the most important part of triathlon.

Triathlon is a race consisting of 5 timed segments. Swim, T1, Bike, T2, Run. As beginners, we are really just more concerned with finishing, and finishing feeling great! So T1 and T2 aren't that important right now. We will discuss them cuz you can do some stupid things in transition. Believe me. I've done it! I know most in the group are focused on the run, yours truly included, cuz that is my weakest leg. But traditionally, the most important part of the race is the bike! You can be Speedy Gonzalez, but if you struggle during the bike (which is the longest segment of triathlon) you will struggle with the run and be disappointed with your lack of speed. So base miles on the bike are key.

Riding your own bike on the road is the best of all worlds because it's your own bike out in the real world with wind and bumps and weather and hills. But lets face it. It's winter here in the states. It's early in our training cycle. Sometimes going out on the road isn't worth the risk in nasty weather conditions. What's a triathlete to do? Next best thang is a trainer. This turns your ride into a stationary bike that you can do from the comfort of your own home. There are different types of trainers. I use a fluid trainer (Elite Fluid Primo). I usually do a specific workout geared for the trainer instead of riding mindlessly in front of the tv. This works cadence and strength. For you locals, Go Tri Sports downtown Greenville is offering 10 mile TT's at their shop each day this week starting at 5pm. Bring your bike and use their computrainer! Next are the spin classes offered through the Y and other fitness centers. These are fantastic cardio workouts. I think they offer the most bang for an hour in terms of cardio. You are at the mercy of your instructor, however. And some will have you doing things that you would never do on a real bike. But it is a great way to use those cycling muscles when daylight and good weather are short. Last would be the stationary bike or life cycle. Not very accurate, not very comfortable and incredibly boring, but better than nothing.

With all our excitement about running, let's not neglect the bike at this point. 1-3 cycle workouts per week would be great. Make sure you get at least one long ride per week. Long is relative to your fitness. Ideally, it should be 5-10 miles over the distance of your "A" race's bike leg. If you're not at that point in fitness yet, don't worry. Just increase your time or distance gradually out of your comfort zone. If you're looking at an oly with a 28 mile bike and your current long ride is say 15 miles, shoot for 20 miles your next time out.

Those are my tri thoughts for the day. Hope everyone is having a fabulous Monday
2008-12-22 11:56 AM

New user

Roosdaal

thx for the usefull info!

Well my monday was great untill i realised that my exams are scheduled two weeks from nowSurprised

2008-12-22 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1867537

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Anonymous - 2008-12-22 12:56 PM

thx for the usefull info!

Well my monday was great untill i realised that my exams are scheduled two weeks from nowSurprised

I know you are ahead of the curve. And by doing an IM training plan, over-distance training won't be an issue for you. If you can peak out your distance at about 80 miles on the bike by 3 weeks out from your HIM, you will be in good shape for your race. I'm sure the IM plan will having you doing more, though. Keep 80 in mind if you find yourself pressed for training time in June and July!
2008-12-22 2:27 PM
in reply to: #1867626

New user
Sorry I haven't posted anything recently...just came down with a stomach virus...hopefully I'll be better before the holidays start.

Pam, thanks for all the great info. Quick question for you or anyone else. Since you were writing about how important the bike portion is, how much time on the bike do you think we should get for each training session? Currently I participate in a spinning class for 45-60 minutes. Do you think we need addtional time on a stationary bike after that? And speaking of stationary bikes, does anyone have any good workout routines, or do you just pick one of the "set" programs offered?

Last question...does anyone know if there is a way to get email updates to this blog? Currently, I have been going to the BT mentor program forum to find this blog.

Happy holidays!

Nicole
2008-12-22 3:00 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Hope you feel better soon, Nicole. I think that one spin class is enough for a workout session. If you can fit a couple of those in per week, that would be awesome. Or if you could do one spin class and one long ride on an actual bike. With spin classes, you get a great benefit in a short amount of time because you are constantly working. On an actual bike, you have to stop at intersections, coast, and find other ways of "resting" during the workout so your duration ought to be a bit longer. If you could find about an hour and a half to get out and ride once a week, fab. If not it is ok to stick to indoor cycling this time of year. Do what you can with what you've got, right!

2008-12-22 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hey, Pam.  Still have room for one more?

Let's see...a little bit about myself.

I'm Emily. Age 31. 

Getting ready for my second season of tri.  My biggest difficulty right now is finding the time.  I work full time and am going back to school part time.  And every once in awhile I feel like I should do all those grown up things like clean the house and buy groceries. 

Currently focusing on my run because it's the easiest to fit in to my schedule.  I'm signed up for a half-mary at the beginning of May and then (if I can manage to keep a modicum of bike fitness over the winter) I'll be participating in my first Oly a few weeks later.

2008-12-22 3:53 PM

New user

Roosdaal

okay so got i went swiming. First did a 'warmup'(100yards) and then immediately started my 1500meters (1640.5yards).
No idea what a good time would be on this part

That means i need 1.69minutes for 100 meters(109.36yards).
Pretty dissapointed about that. i expected 23minutes.
Good thing is that i wasn't 'dead' when i got out of the water. So there's definitely room for approvement.

A little question about cycling: whats a good average? I ordered a regular road bike. so no aerodynamic handlebars, just two wheels and brakes(not sure i ordered those).
My father in law is lending me his mkb because he says it's good to build resistance and extra muscles so when i get my new bike( 3rd of january) it ll feel as if im flying.

o yeah about the metrics, i'll post everythig in km and meters and between brackets in miles and yards and feet and so on. i assume you're always posting in miles. that ll be the easiest.

Greets

2008-12-22 3:54 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Welcome, Emily! Yes, there is room. You can read through what we've been talking about. Lots of interest in running And funny you should mention the bike, as that was the topic du jour.

Still looking for one more person, then we'll close up shop and get busy Hope somebody knows HTML so we can post a group link in our blogs. I am way too much of a techno retard to do that

2008-12-22 4:13 PM
in reply to: #1868112

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

barqhead - 2008-12-22 4:54 PM Welcome, Emily! Yes, there is room. You can read through what we've been talking about. Lots of interest in running And funny you should mention the bike, as that was the topic du jour. Still looking for one more person, then we'll close up shop and get busy Hope somebody knows HTML so we can post a group link in our blogs. I am way too much of a techno retard to do that

I might be just smart enough to modify a group table from one of my challenge forum groups.  I'm good at copying other's genius

2008-12-22 4:24 PM
in reply to: #1868163

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
esc - 2008-12-22 5:13 PM

barqhead - 2008-12-22 4:54 PM Welcome, Emily! Yes, there is room. You can read through what we've been talking about. Lots of interest in running And funny you should mention the bike, as that was the topic du jour. Still looking for one more person, then we'll close up shop and get busy Hope somebody knows HTML so we can post a group link in our blogs. I am way too much of a techno retard to do that

I might be just smart enough to modify a group table from one of my challenge forum groups.  I'm good at copying other's genius

Yay!!!!

2008-12-22 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS

Hey Pam, thanks for the info...great stuff!  At the moment, I just bought my bike (tri specific), I bought a Motobecane Nemesis (good starter).  I have ridden it much because of the weather and the holidays, plus I am hoping to get a good "fit" and a tune up as soon as the holidays are over.  I have been going to spin classes for about a month and we primarily focus on keeping a fast tempo and throwing in lots of sprints and mega hill climbs (like 80-90 percent of what you can push)... I have to tell you, they are very challenging.  In fact, I haven't been to one yet where I wasn't afraid I was gonna lose my lunch.  I am looking forward to actually getting some handlebar time on the real bike though.  We have lots of group rides, varying distances/experience levels/and paces, I am just afraid to spend too much time on the bike until I know it's fitted properly...what's your take on that?

I also have a swim coach, Laura Uecker (17 time all American and American Record holder 4X100 relay for 10 years), so I am not so much worried about the swim (just being as efficient as possible).

lastly, what's your take on "Brick Training"?

2008-12-22 4:36 PM
in reply to: #1868110

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Anonymous - 2008-12-22 4:53 PM

okay so got i went swiming. First did a 'warmup'(100yards) and then immediately started my 1500meters (1640.5yards).
No idea what a good time would be on this part

That means i need 1.69minutes for 100 meters(109.36yards).
Pretty dissapointed about that. i expected 23minutes.
Good thing is that i wasn't 'dead' when i got out of the water. So there's definitely room for approvement.

A little question about cycling: whats a good average? I ordered a regular road bike. so no aerodynamic handlebars, just two wheels and brakes(not sure i ordered those).
My father in law is lending me his mkb because he says it's good to build resistance and extra muscles so when i get my new bike( 3rd of january) it ll feel as if im flying.

o yeah about the metrics, i'll post everythig in km and meters and between brackets in miles and yards and feet and so on. i assume you're always posting in miles. that ll be the easiest.

Greets

Speed is relative. Not trying to get out of giving you a straight answer but it really depends. On a mountain bike on the road (especially if you have knobby tires) you will be averaging a slower pace than a someone on a road bike. If you ride in a group, you will most likely average a higher pace than when you ride solo because of drafting. If you ride an aerodynamic TT bike, you will most likely have a higher average speed than someone on a roadie without aerobars. It also depends on distance. Obviously you can hold a higher average speed over a shorter distance. And then there is terrain and temperature. The flatter the course, the faster the average speed. The colder the temp, the slower the average speed.

Boys usually ride faster than girls. I am a strong female rider. During a fairly flat HIM, I averaged close to 21 mph for 56 miles. I averaged 19.5 mph over 56 miles on a very hilly HIM course. Those were "good" averages for a female. The strong fellows were well over 20mph on the hilly course. They averaged over 23mph on the flatter one. Keep in mind these folks are on tri bikes with race wheels and aero helmets. I usually strive for at least a 20mph average in a race. Sometimes I do it and sometimes I don't.

2008-12-22 4:53 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
To find your "good" pace: Find a course that you like and ride it at least once a month. Try to beat your previous month's time Keep in mind race pace is faster than training pace. I rarely see training paces over 20 mph. Right now I'm averaging @ 17 - 17.5 mph.

2008-12-22 5:05 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Just wanted to pop in and say the Pam is an awesome racer and will be a great resource/mentor for you all (and if I were deciding to swim again anytime soon, I would ask to join her team - maybe next year )

Merry Christmas 

2008-12-22 5:16 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Todd brings up an excellent point. Bike fit. This is worth its weight in gold, people! Make sure you see a professional for a bike fit. Free speed and injury prevention. There are ways to get even hand-me-down bikes closer to a perfect fit for you.

Brick training. A must as race season approaches. Not so important right now in the base building segment. What is a brick? Two disciplines done back to back as in a race simulation. Bike to run is more important than swim to bike, but both are beneficial in race preparation. My coach's philosophy on bricks are long bike+short run. She had me doing 60 miles on the bike followed by a 3 mile run. Just enough to learn to trust that your legs "come back" and how to pace yourself coming off the bike. You would think that you would be sluggish coming off the bike, but that is not the case. Your legs are used to turning over a pretty high cadence on the bike. They are used to speed. So as you start running, you are moving much faster than normal. Your HR rises, your breathing becomes gaspy, you start to redline and panic. Your legs feel like bricks. The brick workouts teach you how to deal with this. Some people even do a 1 mile run after every ride just to feel better prepared. As long as you aren't injured, there is nothing wrong with this approach. Just don't try to sprint off the bike. Run comfortably. Adrenalin will work its magic for you on race day!

2008-12-22 6:46 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Okay - the very boring black and white table:

Pam's Mentor Group
barqhead (Pam)
msfugitivehunter (Todd)
nicoley81 (Nicole)
Anonymous (Jonathan)
klowman (Kevin)
Jeepguy2358 (Chris)
tntexpres (John)
tri4mom (Tania)
esc (Emily)

You should be able to copy and past that into the goals section of your log.  I can pretty it up when I have a little more time.

2008-12-22 6:52 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Ooo! I like it! Do I just highlight it, copy and paste? I'm on a Mac. That doesn't make a difference, does it? See, techno retard

2008-12-22 6:56 PM
in reply to: #1868466

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

barqhead - 2008-12-22 7:52 PM Ooo! I like it! Do I just highlight it, copy and paste? I'm on a Mac. That doesn't make a difference, does it? See, techno retard

Yup.  That should do the trick.  Mac or PC - doesn't make a difference.

2008-12-22 7:44 PM

Hi, I am 33 stay at home mother of three, 7, 3, and 1. I want to start training for Triathlons. I reciently lost about 20lbs and have about another 30 to go. I don't know where to start? I love to run and have a lot of experience running, I swam on swim teams when I was younger and know nothing about biking. I would love to join your group if you will have me! I live in North Dallas, TX

I love to workout, I try to make it to the gym at least five days a week. I lift weights and love to take spinning classes. I struggle everyday with controlling what I eat.

I would love for someone to give me a little direction in how to get started.

Linda Long

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Barqhead's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22