Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2008-12-24 6:43 PM
in reply to: #1858586

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: apw0397's group - Closed
I'll second that. Everyone have a very Merry Christmas!

2008-12-28 9:27 PM
in reply to: #1871658

User image

Regular

Yeah, so I wasn't able to do the entire hour run.  I thought that I was somewhat pacing myself, but got a bit too winded during the 20 minute hard run.  I'm adding this test to my goals for the year.   The books that came with my HR monitor provide a test to calculate your estimated maximum heart rate.  You do two different activities and record your heart rate.  Then add a "fitness" factor to each HR result.  Then take the average of the two numbers to get your estimated maximum heart rate.  According to this method, my Max HR is 180.  If anyone wants me to put the test up on the board, just let me know.  It is pretty easy to do.

Edited by onealec 2008-12-29 6:24 AM
2008-12-29 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran

Hey All!

Just checking in to see how everyone's holiday went!  I have to work today and tomorrow (I'm not so lucky to get Monday & Tuesday off) but I have off on Friday.   This morning, I started my 9 week strength training regimen.  Because of my job and family (20+ immediate family members) there's at least a dozen parties and I usually put on some weight between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I try to use the first couple of months to get back on track, focus on some key areas of strength and thin out a bit.  Laughing

Since I don't really focus on strength during the season, in the next 9 weeks, I hope to build up some muscle mass and mix my workouts with semi-brick-type workouts (stationary bike 30 minutes, run/jog 30 minutes).  It's my hope that I can get my body used to strenuous workouts so that when I transition to regular tri-training, it can carryover well - there's nothing like starting outdoor training and realizing that you're weaker then you were last year... 

I'll have my log updated this afternoon.  I can't wait to see how our group does this season!  Have a happy New Year!

2008-12-30 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1876053

User image

Regular

What is the best thing to get for your bike so you can ride it indoors?  I’m having trouble finding the daylight to ride during the week.  Is riding a stationary bike at the gym going to give me close to the same workout (as far as endurance) to where I don’t need to worry about getting rollers?

2008-12-30 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1877631

User image

Veteran

For a good workout, any spin class is a great way to sweat and really get your butt kicked.  Most spin class instructors have a switch in their head that takes them from normal to psychotic in 2 seconds so you're definitely in for a good ride.  However, most spin classes emphasize on riding both in and out of the saddle and some believe that getting out of your saddle is a bad thing. 

There are some people out there that prefer to focus on training on their own specific bike.  This is where a tool like a CycleOps trainer comes in.  I use one on rainy days in the summer when I can't get outside.  You can check them out at http://cycleopsproseries.com/. The one I have cost me $199 and plugs into my back axle. 

2008-12-31 7:32 AM
in reply to: #1877854

User image

Regular

Thanks for the info Dan.  I'll have to look into the CycleOps route.  I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year.

-Eric

2008-12-31 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1875065

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Yeah, so I wasn't able to do the entire hour run.  I thought that I was somewhat pacing myself, but got a bit too winded during the 20 minute hard run.  I'm adding this test to my goals for the year.   The books that came with my HR monitor provide a test to calculate your estimated maximum heart rate.  You do two different activities and record your heart rate.  Then add a "fitness" factor to each HR result.  Then take the average of the two numbers to get your estimated maximum heart rate.  According to this method, my Max HR is 180.  If anyone wants me to put the test up on the board, just let me know.  It is pretty easy to do.

OK, here's what you can do with that max HR number...you can use the Karvonen formula to calculate your HR zones. Having a max HR isn't that helpful for the most part, but you can use it along with your resting HR to figure out some HR zones that will hold you over until you can do a field test.

Resting HR is the easiest test in the world. After you wake up in the morning, count your heartbeats for a minute (or do it 30 seconds and double it, or 15 seconds and quadruple it).

Get me that number and I can use a tool on BT that is available for Bronze and higher users to figure out your zones.

2008-12-31 9:14 AM
in reply to: #1876053

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Hey All!

Just checking in to see how everyone's holiday went!  I have to work today and tomorrow (I'm not so lucky to get Monday & Tuesday off) but I have off on Friday.   This morning, I started my 9 week strength training regimen.  Because of my job and family (20+ immediate family members) there's at least a dozen parties and I usually put on some weight between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I try to use the first couple of months to get back on track, focus on some key areas of strength and thin out a bit.  Laughing

Since I don't really focus on strength during the season, in the next 9 weeks, I hope to build up some muscle mass and mix my workouts with semi-brick-type workouts (stationary bike 30 minutes, run/jog 30 minutes).  It's my hope that I can get my body used to strenuous workouts so that when I transition to regular tri-training, it can carryover well - there's nothing like starting outdoor training and realizing that you're weaker then you were last year... 

I'll have my log updated this afternoon.  I can't wait to see how our group does this season!  Have a happy New Year!

If you are trying to lose weight, I would focus on light weights with lots of reps. That will build muscle and burn more fat. If you go the He-man route and try to look like the alpha males at the gym, you will probably gain a little weight.

Again, focus a LOT on the core. That's where the bulk of tri strength lies. The legs get worked out enough in running and cycling that they don't require a lot of strength training, though squats and lunges are good things.

2008-12-31 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1877631

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

What is the best thing to get for your bike so you can ride it indoors?  I’m having trouble finding the daylight to ride during the week.  Is riding a stationary bike at the gym going to give me close to the same workout (as far as endurance) to where I don’t need to worry about getting rollers?

Spin classes are great but you have to watch that you don't overdo the intensity.

I guess you can get a good workout on a stationary bike, but I just don't know how. I did one for 10 minutes once. Never again. Bored me to tears.

A trainer is a lot easier than rollers. You can pick up some decent ones for not too much coin. A cyclops is a great one. I have a fluid trainer from Nashbar.

Fluid trainers are about the quietest trainers you can get. I had a mag trainer and pretty much had to turn the TV volume to the max so I could hear. I can do my fluid trainer early in the morning and the wife and kids can still sleep upstairs.

Entertainment on the trainer can get challenging. I usually do action or fast-paced movies. I got some Spinervals DVDs for Christmas that I'm excited about. Should help break up the monotony of just riding nowhere.

2008-12-31 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1879521

User image

Veteran

I guess that is where I'm torn.  In order to stay up to par in my hockey game, I have to work on strength to increase power; however, when hockey is over, I would like to maintain my strength and transition to tri's.  I talked to a guy today at the gym who creates sports specific workouts for athletes and he kind of laughed when I told him I wanted to become a stronger and faster hockey player and also work on training for triathlons (2 completely different sports with somewhat similar - yet dissimilar - training methods).  He recommended mixing the two together.  During the hockey season, run/bike for 15 - 30 minutes and 30 - 45 minutes of strength training.  Once the season is over, decrease the amount of strength training and increase the amount of tri-training. 

I guess I have to try it and see if it works.  I'll keep my logs full and make sure my notes are filled in all the way to see if my program is working. 

HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2008-12-31 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1871658

User image

New user

Hey!!! Haven't been online for a while and I have some questions...Hope everyone is doing reat and is gearing up for a funtastic 2009!!!!!!

I was wondering what type of goggles are good for indoor swimming (while wearing contacts)and also ,what type of bike I should look at getting for spring training. (for now, I have my mountain bike on a Mag Trek).

Also, these spinervals you speak of..sound AWESOME! Where might I go to find one of these?

Thanks!!

Erin

2009-01-01 3:28 PM
in reply to: #1880083

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
ErinWood - 2008-12-31 1:30 PM

Hey!!! Haven't been online for a while and I have some questions...Hope everyone is doing reat and is gearing up for a funtastic 2009!!!!!!

I was wondering what type of goggles are good for indoor swimming (while wearing contacts)and also ,what type of bike I should look at getting for spring training. (for now, I have my mountain bike on a Mag Trek).

Also, these spinervals you speak of..sound AWESOME! Where might I go to find one of these?

Thanks!!

Erin

Goggles - I'm a big fan of Aquasphere Kaimans. I tried all kinds of goggles before and they are by far my favorite.

Spinervals - Here is one place. You can google and probably find them other places for a lower price. Local bike shop should might have them in stock as well.

As for the bike, that's a good question. It depends on several factors - budget, availability, fit, and what you want to use it for. If you only have $500 to spend, you can get a decent entry level road bike. If you have, say, $1500 burning a hole in your pocket, you can get an entry level tri bike.

You need to decide whether or not your primary goal for getting a bike is to do triathlon or to just ride for fun. If you think you will be doing this for a while, go for a tri bike. If you are not sure yet, but you know you want something better than a mountain bike, go for the roadie. Road bikes are a lot more versatile, easier to handle in group rides, and are more comfortable. Tri bikes are basically designed to reduce your wind resistance and put you in a position to save your legs so you can run later.

Most people, including my wife and me, start with a mountain bike, get an entry- to mid-level road bike and ride it for a year or so, then move up to a tri bike. 5 years ago I started on a $50 mountain bike and trained on it all summer for a September tri. Right after finishing the tri we went and put some $400 road bikes on layaway at the bike shop. I road it and raced on it for a year. During that time I added clipless pedals and clip on aerobars. Then the following spring I got my current ride, a tri bike for $1500. Had it for 2 years now and haven't regretted it a bit.

Anyway, hopefully that answers your questions. Probably brings up a few too.

2009-01-02 10:09 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

OK folks. We are 2 days into 2009. Are you motivated yet?

If you aren't, I can start posting some images that will get you moving, like this one:

Please don't make me do that again.

2009-01-02 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1882605

User image

New user

Hahahahaha. RS in the  house. That's awesome.

Thanks for your advice- I am inteested in finding out where I can find the Kaimans and the info about the bikes was great. I've been on my mountain bike for a while and I think I'll do what you said and look into our local bike shop for one or two to put on layaway.

Excellent! I'm definitely psyched about 2009. That being said, gotta run to the pool and get my ten 200's in!

Have a fantastic day, everybody! 

2009-01-03 10:58 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Back in from a 25 mile ride of pain today with my tri group. 60s, windy, and humid. Not to mention HILLY. Followed it up with a 1 mile brick run. I think I need a nap now.

Everyone have a great weekend!

2009-01-04 10:29 PM

User image

New user

So I got the Kaimans and you're right...they rock. I had looked at them when I was in Dick's Sporting Goods a few weeks ago and thought I might ask before I bought anything.  Anybody have an 140-160 bpm  workout playlists they could share?

2009-01-05 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1886083

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
ErinWood - 2009-01-04 10:29 PM

So I got the Kaimans and you're right...they rock. I had looked at them when I was in Dick's Sporting Goods a few weeks ago and thought I might ask before I bought anything.  Anybody have an 140-160 bpm  workout playlists they could share?

I have two pair. One clear pair for pool swims and workouts, and a tinted pair for open water swims when sunlight would be a factor.

Here is my playlist when I need to kick it into gear. I'm working to add a few songs to get it to 1:35 so I can have tunage my next 1/2 mary. It's a bit of an odd mix, but I'm a bit of an odd duck:

• Human League - Don't you want me
  • Yes - Tempus Fugit
  • The Offspring - Self Esteem
  • After the Fire - Der Komissar
  • Nine Inch Nails - Wish
  • Weezer - My name is Jonas, Buddy Holly
  • Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song
  • Toad the Wet Sprocket - When will we fall down
  • Madness - Our House
  • A Flock of Seagulls - I ran so far away
  • Duran Duran - A View to a kill
  • Sponge - Plowed
  • Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with butterfly wings
  • Tear For Fears - Head over heels
  • Matthew Sweet - Break my stride
  • REM - Bang and Blame, Shiny Happy People
2009-01-05 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1886563

User image

Veteran
This list is FANTASTIC!  I would be "that guy" that would be singing while biking (I wouldn't have the breath to sing while running). 
2009-01-05 9:34 AM
in reply to: #1886577

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

dkaho64 - 2009-01-05 9:26 AM This list is FANTASTIC!  I would be "that guy" that would be singing while biking (I wouldn't have the breath to sing while running). 

I like to run with music when I can. Not a good idea when I'm out at 5am for a run, but a lunchtime run it's cool, and a dreadmill run it's a must. I've never raced with music before in a run, but my half marathon in Feb I probably will.

In tris MP3s are a no-no, so I try to just get some tunes in my head by jamming in transition when I set everything else up and do my warmup. During my last Oly tri, I had Shiny Happy People in my head the entire run. That put a smile on my face. Got a new 10K PR in the process too.

However, the best was when I got Mr Roboto in my friend John's head during a 1/2 ironman back in April. I was only doing the Aquabike (swim + bike) thanks to an achilles injury, but John was in for the whole 1/2 (oxymoron alert). So when I passed him on the bike, I made sure to sing it to him REALLY LOUD. That was about mile 30 of the bike. Afterwards he told me he had "that ******* song" in his head for 3 1/2 hours straight - 26 miles on the bike and 13 miles on the run. I told him he should have gone faster so it would have only been 3 hours.

I'm mean that way.

2009-01-05 5:40 PM
in reply to: #1886593

User image

Regular

Sorry I’ve been MIA for the past few days.  This week I’ll be starting the masters swimming group on Friday.  It meets M/W/F from 530am-645am.  I’m pretty psyched about it.  I’ve decided that I’ve got to get one of the indoor trainers.  If it’s not raining out, it’s too dark to go out riding. 

I bought Strength Training for Triathletes over the weekend.  I’ve been trying to put together a new strength training plan.  I should be able to start it on Wednesday. 

From a few posts ago…my resting HR is 53bpm.  I redid the tests for my max HR, it is more like 183bpm (not sure if 3 bpm makes a huge difference or not).  Do I need to just use the calculators on my training log page to find my zones? 

A little off subject, but I have to share this with someone…me and my wife are pregnant!  Should be here around Sept 3.  It still hasn’t sunk in all the way, but every now and then, I’ll be sitting here and think holy …I’m gonna be a dad.  It is a very exciting time!! 

A few songs that help me… (weird mix as well) 

Thunderstruck-AC/DC

Almost any Rage Against the Machine

Dirty Little Secret-The all American Rejects

Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show-Neil Diamond 

Have a great night!

2009-01-06 7:53 AM
in reply to: #1887795

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
onealec - 2009-01-05 5:40 PM

Sorry I’ve been MIA for the past few days.  This week I’ll be starting the masters swimming group on Friday.  It meets M/W/F from 530am-645am.  I’m pretty psyched about it.  I’ve decided that I’ve got to get one of the indoor trainers.  If it’s not raining out, it’s too dark to go out riding. 

I bought Strength Training for Triathletes over the weekend.  I’ve been trying to put together a new strength training plan.  I should be able to start it on Wednesday. 

From a few posts ago…my resting HR is 53bpm.  I redid the tests for my max HR, it is more like 183bpm (not sure if 3 bpm makes a huge difference or not).  Do I need to just use the calculators on my training log page to find my zones? 

A little off subject, but I have to share this with someone…me and my wife are pregnant!  Should be here around Sept 3.  It still hasn’t sunk in all the way, but every now and then, I’ll be sitting here and think holy …I’m gonna be a dad.  It is a very exciting time!! 

A few songs that help me… (weird mix as well) 

Thunderstruck-AC/DC

Almost any Rage Against the Machine

Dirty Little Secret-The all American Rejects

Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show-Neil Diamond 

Have a great night!

Can't say enough good things about my swim since I joined Masters 18 months ago. I've improved a ton.

Yes, if you go to Manage HR Zones and plug in 183 and 53 for the Karvonen formula, you get:

• Zone 1 - 118-131
  • Zone 2 - 131-144
  • Zone 3 - 144-157
  • Zone 4 - 157-170
  • Zone 5 - 170-183

It's not as accurate as an LT test, but it's a good place to start. So what you want to do on your runs is warmup for a mile and cooldown for a mile. The miles in between you want to stay in Zone 2. If you drop into Zone 1, speed up. If you hit Zone 3, slow down. You may even have to walk. So if you have a 3 mile run, 1 mile is a slow warmup, 1 mile is in Zone 2, 1 mile is a slow cooldown. Or if it seems like it's taking you forever to do those warmup and cooldown miles (> 10 minutes per mile), you can just warm up and cooldown for 10 minutes. I just use a mile because that's about how long it takes me to get warmed up.

Look at my runs on my log and take a look at the laps. You'll see how I start slow, go into Zone 2 for the middle, and then gradually cool down. I'm a big believer in a warmup and cooldown. Give your legs a little while to get warmed up, and then when you are done, give them time to flush the lactic acid instead of just a dead stop.

When I first started using HR zones to run with, it was very frustrating. I had to walk a LOT. Eventually I learned how to pace myself and control my HR. Now I'm faster than I ever have been.

Staying in Zone 2 for your running (you can do the same with cycling as well if you figure out your max HR for the bike) will get a bit dull. That is, until after a few months you notice that you are going faster at the same effort. You'll get some huge gains of endurance from this.

2009-01-06 8:07 AM

User image

New user

Andy!60 degree weather?I hope you're not complaining!!!Ihave to go out and run when it's 27 out!!Brrr!You're so lucky.Hey,I've been practicing the half mile swim with breaststroke and I feel like that might be weird.Everyone else is doing freestyle.Ihate freestyle!What do you think?Should I switch it up while the training is still early?And the Kaimans,as well-fitted as they are,fog up after 100 meters.Do you have the same experience?And thank you for the playlist!!!We have similar taste in music so that is awesome.SWEET!-I'm pumped to listen to it!
2009-01-06 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1888817

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

ErinWood - 2009-01-06 8:07 AM Andy!60 degree weather?I hope you're not complaining!!!Ihave to go out and run when it's 27 out!!Brrr!You're so lucky.Hey,I've been practicing the half mile swim with breaststroke and I feel like that might be weird.Everyone else is doing freestyle.Ihate freestyle!What do you think?Should I switch it up while the training is still early?And the Kaimans,as well-fitted as they are,fog up after 100 meters.Do you have the same experience?And thank you for the playlist!!!We have similar taste in music so that is awesome.SWEET!-I'm pumped to listen to it!

Definitely not complaining about the 60 degree weather. I love when I can go out in shorts and a short sleeve jersey in January.

Freestyle is way faster than breaststroke. Work on it 90% of the time and you will start to like it more. Or at least you will get better at it but still hate it.

Goggles fogging up is an easy fix. Spit in them before you put them on. Or if that grosses you out, dip them in the water before you put them on. Spitting is just a manlier, macho way to do it.

I'm almost frightened that we have similar taste. I chose not to include some obscure folk music I listen to for fear of eradication.

2009-01-06 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
apw0397 - 2009-01-05 9:20 AM

Here is my playlist when I need to kick it into gear. I'm working to add a few songs to get it to 1:35 so I can have tunage my next 1/2 mary. It's a bit of an odd mix, but I'm a bit of an odd duck:

• Human League - Don't you want me
  • Yes - Tempus Fugit
  • The Offspring - Self Esteem
  • After the Fire - Der Komissar
  • Nine Inch Nails - Wish
  • Weezer - My name is Jonas, Buddy Holly
  • Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song
  • Toad the Wet Sprocket - When will we fall down
  • Madness - Our House
  • A Flock of Seagulls - I ran so far away
  • Duran Duran - A View to a kill
  • Sponge - Plowed
  • Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with butterfly wings
  • Tear For Fears - Head over heels
  • Matthew Sweet - Break my stride
  • REM - Bang and Blame, Shiny Happy People

I am a BIG music fan... I inventoried my list over the holiday and have over 800 CD's with a total of 9500 MP3's (I don't even want to think about the cost...). 

Here's my typical workout playlist:

Warmup - Soul Live - Hurry Up... And Wait

PapaRoach - Time is Running Out
PapaRoach - Alive & Out of Control
Paramore - Misery Business
Radiohead - Bodysnatchers
Coldplay - Moses (Live)
Coldplay - Clocks (Live)
Red Jumpsuite Aparatus - Facedown
Shiny Toy Guns - Rainy Monday
Sublime - Ebin
The Who - Who Are You
ZZ Top - La Grange
Cake - Nugget

I try to keep my workouts at about an hour and this adds up to 59 minutes 19 seconds.  Maybe I should throw in some Enya to cooldown? Laughing

2009-01-06 12:22 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
I'm so out of it. I've only heard 3 of those songs. The two oldies and the one that Coldplay ripped off of Joe Satriani.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » apw0397's group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 5