BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Crowny2's HR Redlining Group - MAXED OUT Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-01-06 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1888425

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Crowny2's HR Redlining Group - MAXED OUT
muempire10 - 2009-01-05 9:41 PM

Last week of training was difficult with the holidays but today is the start of a new week so I went out to see what I had to set up a bench mark of where I am now and where I want to be come race time in 19 more weeks. Bike went well and run went well. I have to get to the pool tomorrow and start putting in some serious work because I know that is going to be my Achilles in the race. For details on the workout look at my training log. 

Quick question, I am thinking about stepping up to either the bronze or silver membership. Is there much difference between the two? Is everything in the silver completely necessary? I love all the tools in the free package so I think that if it was available then I would use it but still not sure. Also my race I have planned in May is enourmus. It is a pretty big club/individual event with an open water swim. I am thinking after the workout today I want to hit a much smaller sprint in a pool at the end of march. Would you recommend this? I know open water races aren't for the inexperienced so I just wanted to see everyones thoughts. Also I think I am going to catch a few tri's as a spectator to see what the event is like so there aren't too many surprise's. What are your thoughts on tri clubs? Worth the money? I am thinking about joining up the "Landis Tri Club" here in Arizona because they cater to beginners and experts alike.

One last thing, as a college student alcohol is in my life. I am 24 and a little wiser than I was at 21 so its not a great deal but a few drinks on the weekends are normal. What are your thoughts on drinking while being on a training plan? I plan to stop completely around the beginning of March so I can keep the empty calories away. What would you recommend? And I apologize in advance at the length and the large amount of questions in this email!

Lots of great questions here. 

I would GREATLY recommend doing a smaller one, especially with a pool swim.  It will give you all kinds of valuable experience without having to worry about the anxiety of open water.  And if swimming is your weakness, it will then be one less thing to have to worry about. 

And if you are going to go watch a tri, volunteer at it instead.  You will get to see everything that goes on behind the scenes and it will also give you some great insight.  You will get to see how the pro's and elite do it.  So go for it.

I can't really recommend one level over the other.  I've only ever had the level I'm at and it is perfect for me.  You really need to weigh what the different levels provide against what you think you need and then go from there. 

I also don't have any experience with a tri club, BUT it can't hurt to investigate.  They may do group rides, or even group swims and will probably give you tons of advice.

Finally, alcohol.  This I DO have experience with.  It all depends on what you want to get out of training and racing.  Me personally, I drink like I normally do (glass of wine a couple of times a week or less) up until the week or two before a race.  Then I go dry.  That being said, there is a noticable difference in performance in training when I've had a few glasses of alcohol the night before versus not having any.   It truly is up to you.  And as time progresses you will find out what works best for you.

2009-01-06 8:56 AM
in reply to: #1861805

User image

Champion

So many of you are starting your training this week. 

One of the best pieces of advice I can give is start small and slow.  Especially for you folks that haven't had much physical activity in your lives in a while.  Trust me.  Do NOT go out and try to run 3+ miles or swim 1000+ yards your first week out.  You will regret it.

What helped me when I got into training two years ago was to have a set training plan.  Sure I felt I could have gone farther or faster on the first few weeks of training.  But I knew that if I did that I would do one of a few things.  Get injured.  Burn out.  Ruin my race plan.

So if you don't have a plan, get one.  Either through BT, or through books or online sources.  And if you have one, stick to it.  If it says only run 10 minutes, then only run 10 minutes.  If it says do an easy ride on the bike, do an easy ride on the bike.  The plans are designed to get your body ready in the fastest and most efficient way possible.  Deviation from the plan may ruin that.

Also, regarding the plan, do not worry about missing a workout every once in a while.  Try to make it less than one workout a week.  And if you DO have to miss a workout, I would recommend missing the workout for the discipline you are strongest in. 

And above all, remember to have fun!

2009-01-07 8:03 PM

New user

Go to school and live in Chandler, AZ
First off I want to thank you for answering all the previous questions the insight is going to help a great deal. I am volunteering for a race on Feb 15th (gotta love AZ) then biting the bullet and running my first sprint on March 29th all to prepare for the big one on May 17th. One quick question today. I know that biking on a stationary bike is not an accurate replica of an actual bike so I went bike shopping today. What would you recommend as far as bikes are concerned? Do you think it wise to spend 800 to 1000 dollars for the first tri? What did you do? Thanks again for the insight David!
2009-01-08 4:16 AM
in reply to: #1893616

Portland, OR

I am by no means an expert.... But there are lots of decent used road bikes out there that can be had relatively inexpensively.  You pay $$$ for name brands.  The frames are built by a very small number of factories and all the major companies put there name on the bike. Probably one of the easiest things to look at is the level of components.   I've been told by numerous bike sources that you should have at least a Shimano 105 level of component on the bike.  There are tons of road bikes available with this level used out there.  Of course the sky is the limit in terms of what you can spend.

2009-01-08 8:43 AM

User image

Denver

Looks like we have the beginnings of a good community here. That's great!

Thanks for the advice on starting small and slow. I went for a 15 minute run last night because that was the plan. I felt I could double it but didn't. So the advise was timely and makes me feel like I am doing the right thing.

Regarding bikes, my LBS is great. They recommend either Shimano 105 or Ultegra. They will last year in and out without having to upgrade. Dura Ace is for the pros and hard-core enthusiasts and is overkill for me. For complete newbies like me they recommend going with your existing bike (or borrow one from a friend) for the first season or at least first event. Then if you really like triathlons to go for a good 105 or Ultegra road or tri bike.

Does anyone have a trainer? I am thinking of picking one up to make my life easier in the winter. I live in Northeast and the 5th snow storm of the year is coming on Saturday. Any advice on which one, where to buy, discounts, etc?

2009-01-08 8:53 AM

User image

Champion

All great advice, well done folks.

Yes, you can spend the farm on a new bike.  But as was recommended, either go with what you have, if you dont' have borrow, and if you can't borrow, get a bottom of the line road bike.  Don't worry about a tri bike.  This is my third season and I still don't have one and probably won't get one will the bike itself (I have a Giant A1 with clip on aero bars and am finally getting fitted Saturday) becomes the limiter.  In other words, right now I am the limit to going faster.  And when I am no longer the limiter, THEN the bike is next on the list.  I'm thinking at least another 2 years. 

Also a road bike will give you MUCH more flexibility to do other things.  Tri bikes are good for two things. Triathlons and time trials.  With road bikes, you can go on easy rides, do criteriums if you want, century rides, etc. 

Finally, about $.  For a beginner, I wouldn't go over $1k.  And at this time of the year you should be able to find some great deals as the older models go out and the new ones come in.  Just like the car industry.

2009-01-08 8:59 AM
in reply to: #1894485

User image

Champion
OldeCity - 2009-01-08 8:43 AM

Looks like we have the beginnings of a good community here. That's great!

Thanks for the advice on starting small and slow. I went for a 15 minute run last night because that was the plan. I felt I could double it but didn't. So the advise was timely and makes me feel like I am doing the right thing.

Regarding bikes, my LBS is great. They recommend either Shimano 105 or Ultegra. They will last year in and out without having to upgrade. Dura Ace is for the pros and hard-core enthusiasts and is overkill for me. For complete newbies like me they recommend going with your existing bike (or borrow one from a friend) for the first season or at least first event. Then if you really like triathlons to go for a good 105 or Ultegra road or tri bike.

Does anyone have a trainer? I am thinking of picking one up to make my life easier in the winter. I live in Northeast and the 5th snow storm of the year is coming on Saturday. Any advice on which one, where to buy, discounts, etc?

Yep!  Follow the plan.  I know you feel you can go farther, but it is important to just follow the plan.  IF you do feel you can go farther on any of the excercises, make certain it is no more than 10% greater than what is planned.  That is a good rule of thumb. 

I have a CycleOps Fluid2 that I will be riding tonight.  Either theirs or Kurt Kinetic or good.  And there are probably close outs at places like trisports.com.

2009-01-08 3:19 PM

Portland, OR
So here's a question for the group.  Was thinking about getting a heart rate monitor, but don't know anything about them.  Any comments or suggestions about what features that I should be aware of when purchasing one.  I saw one that Costco had on sale for about $60.  Had a chest strap on it.  Can't remember the brand though.
2009-01-09 7:43 AM
in reply to: #1895714

User image

Champion

tkdrq - 2009-01-08 3:19 PM So here's a question for the group.  Was thinking about getting a heart rate monitor, but don't know anything about them.  Any comments or suggestions about what features that I should be aware of when purchasing one.  I saw one that Costco had on sale for about $60.  Had a chest strap on it.  Can't remember the brand though.

Heart Reat Monitors (HRM) can be very beneficial if you know how to use them.  In other words, know what the data means. 

If you don't have a plan that is directing you based on your HR, I would steer clear of it for now.  Just a wasted purchase until you decide this is what you want to do.

Disclosure: I have a Garmin 305 Forerunner. 

2009-01-12 7:34 AM

User image

Champion

Happy Monday Redliners. 

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

2009-01-14 8:36 AM

User image

Champion

Good morning, Redliners.

Kind of a little tip of the week to keep things going around here.

And the phrase is "Just do something". 

As Age Group triathletes (that is what we are called at races), we have a life outside of training for triathlons.  Work.  Family.  Other commitments.  And many times, they can get in the way of training the way you WANT to train.  But don't let that stop you from doing training completely on a day you are supposed to train.

So then just do something.  For instance, if you are supposed to have a 30 minute run for the day and you just don't have the time.  Do 10  minutes.  Or try to get a ride in, either on an indoor trainer, or stationary bike at the gym.  Anything.  But try to do it.  Get yourself into the habit of doing something on just about every day of the week.  And in the long run, it will become part of your daily routine and will be easier to do and harder to skip.

But the most important thing to keep in mind is to do something aerobic for the day.  Ideally each of the three disciplines  at least 2x a week.  But if you can't, "Just do something". 

Keep Tri'ing.

2009-01-20 9:19 AM

User image

Champion

Hello!

<knock, knock, knock>

Is this thing on?

Hellloooooo?!?!?!

2009-01-21 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1917826

Portland, OR
been sick for several days and have not done anything.  I'll be getting back to it today.  And to answer your question...yes, this thing is working.  (Just not me)
2009-01-22 9:56 AM

User image

Champion

Oof. Being sick is no fun.  I am currently trying to avoid getting whatever my wife has been sick with over the past 5 days. 

I had about 2 weeks last year in February where I was essentially incapacitated.  Put a bit of a kink into my early season training.

What do you have?  Hope you are taking care of yourself. 

2009-01-22 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1922237

User image

Denver

I'm back! Finally. I've been at work everyday all day and night for almost two weeks...

I'm realligning my training calendar late tonight b/c I'm totally off it. But I'm running a 5k next Sunday and I'm planning on getting four runs in prior to. Then I'll be back on the tri plan.

I have found that signing up for a race helps motivate me. Fortunately for me there is a local company (Max Performance, near Boston) that organizes tri- and du-athons specifically for beginners. The season opener is May 10th and that's what I'm shooting for for my first. I'll likely add a few more 5k's and perhaps one 10k before to help calm my nerves. I ran track and cross country in high school and still got nervous walking up to the start line before every race. I think a few basic road races will help me out.

2009-01-22 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1922614

User image

Champion
OldeCity - 2009-01-22 12:05 PM

I'm back! Finally. I've been at work everyday all day and night for almost two weeks...

I'm realligning my training calendar late tonight b/c I'm totally off it. But I'm running a 5k next Sunday and I'm planning on getting four runs in prior to. Then I'll be back on the tri plan.

I have found that signing up for a race helps motivate me. Fortunately for me there is a local company (Max Performance, near Boston) that organizes tri- and du-athons specifically for beginners. The season opener is May 10th and that's what I'm shooting for for my first. I'll likely add a few more 5k's and perhaps one 10k before to help calm my nerves. I ran track and cross country in high school and still got nervous walking up to the start line before every race. I think a few basic road races will help me out.

WELCOME BACK!  What, in the name of all that is holy, do you do?

2009-01-22 3:54 PM

Portland, OR
Little bit of a relapse so haven't trained yet.  Some kind of intestinal thing....but hopefully I can get back at it soon.
2009-01-22 4:13 PM
in reply to: #1923308

User image

Champion

tkdrq - 2009-01-22 3:54 PM Little bit of a relapse so haven't trained yet.  Some kind of intestinal thing....but hopefully I can get back at it soon.

Ugh.  That stinks.  Remember to stay hydrated. 

2009-01-22 5:36 PM
in reply to: #1922731

User image

Denver

I work in finance. Considering the wake of destruction the economy has left behind work has become "intense" lately...

A 30-minute session on the treadmill will be a welcome start to my morning tomorrow.

2009-01-22 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1923526

User image

Champion
OldeCity - 2009-01-22 5:36 PM

I work in finance. Considering the wake of destruction the economy has left behind work has become "intense" lately...

A 30-minute session on the treadmill will be a welcome start to my morning tomorrow.

Mercy.  The run will do your body AND your spirit some good. 

2009-01-30 8:49 AM
in reply to: #1923860

User image

Denver
Just thought I would share my January update. What a month. Work has settled down but Mother Nature is not cooperating. My town averages about 41 inches of snow per season. We've already had 48! Plus an unbelievable amount of ice…which caused me taking a tumble down a set of cement steps this week. It wasn’t too bad but it has kept me from training.
I’m running a 5k on Sunday in Boston Harbor (free Harpoon IPA and Legal Seafood’s clam chowda at the finish line!).  My goal is to finish without hurting myself. It’s been a while since I have run a road race. My personal best is 24:35 but I doubt I’ll finish sub 30:00. And I’m OK with that…for now anyway…the time I end up with (stay tuned) will likely motivate me to get back and stay on the training plan. There’s a sprint duathlon specifically designed for beginners on May 10th. I’d like that to be my first foray into a multi-sport event. So I need to get my rear-end into gear.
I’ve ordered a trainer and I am cleaning out an extra room in the basement for it. I plan to set up an extra TV we have collecting dust and then add in a few spinerval CDs (any recommendations?). Then I can more easily squeeze in some bike sessions. I’m really trying to minimize the money I spend but it will make the training a lot easier, which means I will be more likely to do it.

Please share your trials and tribulations and good luck training.

2009-02-02 7:54 AM

User image

Champion

Excellent post!

So, how was everyone's first month of training. 

What has worked?

What hasn't?

What have you been pleased with?

What do you want to continue to work on?

2009-02-02 11:36 AM

User image

Denver

The 5k went smoothly for my first one in about 1.5 years. I finished in about 31:45, offical time still TBA, and I finished without walking and most importantly without hurting myself. Next one is one Feb 15th and I'm shooting for sub-30:00. Also, the cham codwer was excellent and a great way to finish a freezing cold run in the middle of Boston Harbor.

My first tangible goal of the year is to finish a 5k with a good 1/4 mile kick at the end. When I ran cross country and track in high school I always finsihed very strong. There was nothing left in my tank on Sunday. So Feb 15th will be a sub-30:00 with a strong kick at the end.

My girlfriend ran the race with we and I have found that it works well to keep me motivated. Including her helps her understand that I need some time to get the training in. She is more a runner than multi-sport person and is thinking of training for a 10k, which would be great because we can train together once or twice a week. That would make it alot easier.

I am still waiting for my trainer to arrive. I got a pair of returned Shimano MTB shoes at the REI garage sale this weekend. They were only $27 and used only a handful of times. So spin class here I come.

Have a great week everyone!

2009-02-03 7:45 AM

User image

Denver
The official time was 31:16, so I have to trim 1:17 off in two weeks. That's the goal.
2009-02-03 8:00 AM

User image

Champion

Fantastic.  So you were hitting right at about 10:00 miles.  Nothing wrong with that for your first race back.  Nothing wrong with that at all.  Well done.  And instead of thinking of shaving 1:17 off, think of shaving about 0:25 per mile off.  That might help you grasp it a bit better. 

Congratulations on meeting your first goal!  And way to put realistic goals.  Nicely done indeed.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Crowny2's HR Redlining Group - MAXED OUT Rss Feed  

of 4