BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-01-06 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1869304

Veteran
Subject: RE: tri_sport19's Group - OPEN
Hi Matt-
I would like to join your group. My first tri was try a tri. It was a super sprint. The next year I did a sprint. Then I did annother sprint the following year. I am thinking of doing an olympic this year. I am a really good swimmer. I can hold my own on the bike. However my running needs work.
In the winter I train at ballys. The summers I swim lake michigan in Chicago and bike ride along the lake and in forest preserves. I run around my neighborhood and sometimes along the lake.
I am looking at a tri in Wisconsin or the Accenture in chicago(It is really awesome to ride the bike on lake Shore Drive!!!)
thank You.
Sincerely,
Jeanette

2009-01-06 8:15 PM
in reply to: #1890137

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
jabraunski - 2009-01-06 4:05 PM

Matt:

I was given advice to find a mentor group from a friend that is member of BT and after looking through the open groups it sounds like this one would be great for me.  I am currently in my last year of college at University of Wisconsin and also taking a triathlon training class for a easy end of college career class.  I am engaged right now and getting married October 2009, so with school, planning a wedding, and managing time, I am looking for some help and motivation with a group of people doing the same thing.

I did my first triathlon September 2008, a sprint.  It went great and exactly what my cousin told me, I was hooked.  I have done some 5k and 8k runs, and am signed up for a HIM in the Summer of 2009.  I am looking to lose some weight and get in great shape for my wedding, as well as to finish the HIM under 6.5hrs.  Looking for some guidance and a great group to excel in with triathlons. Thanks.

Matthew

That is good to see somebody else in the group will be doing Spirit of Racine HIM later this year as well.  THis will be my first HIM and I am really excited.  I was torn between SOR and the Muncie Endurathon.  I hope your training goes well!!

2009-01-07 8:57 AM
in reply to: #1890648

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
expatraveler - 2009-01-06 6:50 PM

Hi Matt,

Seeing that you are open to mentor, I'm giving it a shot and am open for the mentoring. 

I'm a swimmer by nature and have gotten back into competitions the last 3 years.  I joined a local tri-club a few days ago because I wanted to step up my training and loose those extra pds and keep them off.  I've also committed to coaching the swimming portions of our workouts too.

My goals are quite lofty as I believe I can break a few swimming records here in BC or Canada, given I drop the weight.  My motivation to train alone is probably my weakness.  I love training with a partner or others, but I figured I'd train in biking and running on the side and maybe enter in a few races, along with my swim competitions.  

I'm here to gather some workout tips and be more accountable for my training.  My background should be a great asset for moving forward in training.

If there are any tips you can pass on, I'd happily take them.

Welcome to the group. My biggest advice for you would be to log your workouts, this will help our group keep you motivated (and cheer you on when you break those swim records!). Joining the tri club was a great move, hopefully you'll find some talented swimmers to get in the pool with and work hard.

Happy training!

2009-01-07 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
jabraunksi and JeanetteJ welcome aboard!

Edited by tri_sport19 2009-01-07 9:03 AM
2009-01-07 10:55 AM

Hi Matt,

My name is Jessie, I'm 22 and my Christmas present to my dad this year was to sign us both up for a triathlon.  We've been meaning to do one for a while, but was never that serious about it so I finally just decided that it was time!

Do you still have room in your group? It would be great to have some feedback from others, because neither one of us have completed a triathlon.  I have played sports all my life, but having just graduated I'm finding it hard to be motivated without the competition!  I think this will be good for me to be working toward a goal.  My dad is active as well, but has had a couple knee surgeries in the past and is a little worried about the swimming, which I think is pretty normal.

Anyway, if possible it would be great to join.  It sounds like everyone in this group is in a similar boat and very motivated!  Thanks! 

2009-01-07 11:46 AM

Name: Adam - Albany, NY

Hi Matt. If there is still an opening to join the group please sign me UP!! I have always been intrigued by Triathlons from my cousin who races in IRONMAN Lake Placid. I have been to the event 2 times and will be going again this year to chear on the racers, plus I have a good friend doing the IronMan for the 1st Time.

I am currently married and have a 2 year old daughter.

I was on my swimming team and was always active into many sports - Soccer, Hockey, Lacrosse and more. My body has taken a toll on me recently and last year and I needed wrist surgery. A buddy of mine informed me of a Sprint Tri that was local and I said what the Hell! My first Tri was last August - Crystal Lake Sprint Tri and when I crossed the finish line I was hooked. My time wasn't great, but I can and will improve. My goals are to complete 1/2 Ironman this season.  My main goal will be to complete an IronMan (Lake Placid) in the future.

Races for 2009:

Mussleman - Geneva,NY - 1/2 Ironman

Pawling, NY - Sprint Tri

Crystal Lake - Sprint Tri

Lake George,NY - Olympic Tri

I am slowly getting back into the groove of training. I will start to update my Training Log as well. My issue is the nutrition and eating. I try to be healthy, but doesn't always work out that way. Right now I way 205, but I know I could get down to 180.

This is all new for me and I just love the RUSH of the Triathlon. I can't wait till the season begins. 

2009-01-07 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

Jessie and Adam, welcome to the group!

Jessie - what a great Christmas present! Nothing beats taking on the challenge of triathlon with a close friend or family member. BT is a great place to learn and ask questions, don't be shy!

Adam - we'll certainly get you to where you want to be, you've come to the right place. I'm excited that I'll be up at Musselman to cheer you on at the HIM!

Please ask any questions you have and PM if you'd rather not post to the group. As I mentioned to everyone else, use the training log feature as much as you can, this will help everyone work together and achieve their goals.

2009-01-07 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

It's super rainy out here on Long Island today, but I was able to squeeze in a 9 mile run before work. My run didn't go as planned and although I finished it a bit disappointed, I finished it. That got me to thinking...

Rarely in triathlon does anyone have a "perfect day". Part of the beauty of triathlon/triathletes (in my opinion) is being able to adjust on the fly and just go with the flow. We'll all catch a flat tire eventually, bounce a water water and watch the top break off, not have the swim we know we're capable of, etc (yes, these have all happened to me and that's jut the short list). The important thing, especially on race day, is to live in the present. You can't change what has already happened any you have no idea what's going to happen, so all you can do is make the most of the moment. Don't get worked up over the little things and don't try and make up for them too much (like hammering way too hard on the bike after changing a flat, trust me it will come back to get you!).  Enjoy the experience and be thankful that you can be part of a such an incredible community of athletes!

As the season progresses I want to make sure I'm answering all you're questions and our group is doing what you need it do. That being said, PM me with any specific topics you'd like to discuss and each week we'll pick one. If you'd like advice on a certain topic to stay private just put (PM only) next to it when you send it over and I'll keep it between you and me!

Happy training (what's on the schedule for today?) and don't forget to use those training logs! Wink

2009-01-07 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1892390

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I had a early alarm clock and got a swim in this morning - 30 minutes of stroke work and technique.  I may try to fit in a short run outside tonight before we get a couple of more inches of snow.

I was never a swimmer until I started doing triathlon and I really enjoy it now.  The first couple weeks were a little dicey when I could not breathe real well in the water but it has got a lot better since then.  I still have a long way to go though!

2009-01-07 3:32 PM

User image

New user

Victoria

I was in the same boat the day before with my swim as Matt was on his morning run today.  I woke up with a really bad sinus headache, but managed to drag myself to the pool.  I only ended up swimming for roughly 30 mins, but it's 30 more mins than not doing anything! 

However, today I felt incredible and had a pretty decent swim for 1 hour this AM.  I might note that since my primary focus is swimming (until april or may), I do train either 2 to 3 times that amount of the norm from a triathlete. With that being said, I just started the workout plan this week and have dropped about 2 lbs so far.  I'm happy with that but don't want to be comfortable as the goal is to keep it off permanently through overall lifestyle change.

I might also add that I am a volunteer tri-swim coach and have 4 years coaching experience, 17 years of swimming experience, from competitive swimming (14 years) and masters swimming(3 years).  If anyone has any swim training questions, I am more than happy to answer via PM... or if you want me to share on the forum.
2009-01-07 6:50 PM

Veteran
Hi Everyone:
I am so excited to be part of this group.

I looked into the Accenture and it will no longer be that name, right now it will be called Chicago Triathalon. However they are looking for a new sponsor.

I have done the sprint in the past and I am wondering if I should do that one again or try the international distance. I know the course but you swim a circle instead of a line, You bike two loops instead of one, and the run is the same untill you reach the turn around for the sprint. International you keep going and turn around near mcCormic place building, on the sprint you turn around near a harbor.

I took last year off except a half marathon. So I must decide sprint or international. The cost is the same. 165. without a usat. 155 with usat.

I am going to talk to a sponsor in 2 weeks. So I will decide by then.

2009-01-07 7:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Hey Matt,

I would like to join your group if there is still room. 

I am 32 years old, married with three kids (ages 8, 6, and 4).  I recently competed in my work’s “biggest loser” challenge and won it.  I lost 40 pounds over the 12 week challenge and am now down to 173.  I really got into the competition aspect of the challenge and did my first 5k around week 7 of the challenge.  It was really an exciting experience to compete in the 5k, I came in 3rd in my age division and got a little medal, I was pretty pumped.  Unfortunately I was on a MTB ride in week 10 of the aforementioned challenge, took a spill on my MTB and broke my collar bone.  Just before my crash I got up to 30 miles a session, three times a week on the bike on the road.  I was hoping to run in my town’s 8k this last October but had to pass due to my fractured clavicle.  It is 5 months from the injury now and the doc says I can swim, run, and ride, but not on the trails yet.  I have been training for my first sprint tri on February 8th.  I am pretty weak in the swimming area and I am working to improve that.

My goals are to finish the two triathlons that I have signed up for (February 8th and March 8th) and get my t-shirt in each.  I think my long range goal would be to get up to an Olympic triathlon by the end of this year and to try to be competitive in the triathlons at some point.

If I can get into the group I will start logging my training right away.  Thanks.

Justin

Edited by cjhild 2009-01-07 7:12 PM
2009-01-07 8:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

Welcome aboard Justin! I'm jealous that you have a triathlon on February 8th...I think most of us will be riding in freezing temperatures!!

Congratulations on the weight loss, you didn't an incredible job and should be very proud! Hopefully our group will help you achieve your goals!

2009-01-07 10:02 PM
in reply to: #1893644

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Thanks Matt.

My triathlons are both sprints, the first is in Redlands and the second is at Lake Cahuilla.  One of the benefits of being in Southern California is the weather.  It has been really nice out lately, but we did get a foot and a half of snow just before Christmas, pretty unheard of in the SoCal high desert.

These will be my first triathlons, so I am really nervous about race day right now.  I am wondering about what to wear, what to expect at the location on race day, etc. 

Edited by cjhild 2009-01-08 12:20 AM
2009-01-08 10:59 AM

User image

New user

Victoria

Hi Matt,

Justin just asked "I am wondering about what to wear, what to expect at the location on race day, etc. "

I am quite curious to know much of the same. 

My question also expands to the colder weather training since I do live in a cooler temp area.  I'm curious to know what you wear out in the rain for a run.  And if you choose to ride indoors on days of heavy rains or fairly wet days.

And Justin - you are very inspiring to me already.  For getting better in the swim, make it a goal to swim 3 days a week.  You need 3 days to maintain your level and more than 3 days if you plan to improve. 

Jen

2009-01-08 11:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Western, Mass
Bronze member

Hey Matt,

Got room for one more?  I did my first Tri this past summer and loved it.  What a nice change from the roadie crowd.  I have even gotten one of my friends into tri/running.  

My biggest problem is me, really, at 285, i am tired of being fat and under motivated.  I am looking for a mentor that can help me stay motivated.

Kevin

2009-01-08 12:30 PM
in reply to: #1894922

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
expatraveler - 2009-01-08 8:59 AM

Hi Matt,

Justin just asked "I am wondering about what to wear, what to expect at the location on race day, etc. "

My question also expands to the colder weather training since I do live in a cooler temp area.  I'm curious to know what you wear out in the rain for a run.  And if you choose to ride indoors on days of heavy rains or fairly wet days.

And Justin - you are very inspiring to me already.  For getting better in the swim, make it a goal to swim 3 days a week.  You need 3 days to maintain your level and more than 3 days if you plan to improve. 

Jen

Yeah, I am wondering about the transitions for the clothes between each leg.  My first tri is run/bike/swim, so I have been reading that some people suggest jammers for all three legs in that format.  I was thinking about some tri shorts but I do not know if I will be able to find them locally.  Not sure our local bike shops will have them??  Also, I have never done the spandex thing, so I am feeling quite self conscious about doing the 5k in spandex.

What would you guys recommend wearing for my first tri?

Jen- thanks! I never think of giving ANYONE inspiration.  Embarassed  I have a hard time not going too hard too soon.  I am on a rest day today and I wish I could be training.  I am very envious of your strength in the swimming arena.  It has been an eye opener getting in the water for training purposes!  I looked up the 0 to 1650 swim training and was thinking of working on that to help with my short sprint tri in February and with the sprint tri in March.  What are your thoughts on the 0 to 1650 thing?  I plan on being in the pool three of the four days that I can hit my gym so I am hoping I will be ok in the swim portion.

2009-01-08 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1894962

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

Welcome Kevin!

I'll certainly do my best to keep you motivated! The best way to keep yourself active is to fun doing it. Be thankful that you can get out there to swim, bike and run and enjoy the experiece!

2009-01-08 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1895203

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
cjhild - 2009-01-08 1:30 PM
expatraveler - 2009-01-08 8:59 AM

Hi Matt,

Jen

Yeah, I am wondering about the transitions for the clothes between each leg.  My first tri is run/bike/swim, so I have been reading that some people suggest jammers for all three legs in that format.  I was thinking about some tri shorts but I do not know if I will be able to find them locally.  Not sure our local bike shops will have them??  Also, I have never done the spandex thing, so I am feeling quite self conscious about doing the 5k in spandex.

What would you guys recommend wearing for my first tri?

Jen- thanks! I never think of giving ANYONE inspiration.  Embarassed  I have a hard time not going too hard too soon.  I am on a rest day today and I wish I could be training.  I am very envious of your strength in the swimming arena.  It has been an eye opener getting in the water for training purposes!  I looked up the 0 to 1650 swim training and was thinking of working on that to help with my short sprint tri in February and with the sprint tri in March.  What are your thoughts on the 0 to 1650 thing?  I plan on being in the pool three of the four days that I can hit my gym so I am hoping I will be ok in the swim portion.

Sorry for the tardy response, it's been a busy day at work (although I'd much rather be on BT!

I'm going to touch on "What to Wear for Race Day" in this post, "What to Expect" is a whole different post! Ok, here goes....

My best recommendation for race day is a good pair of tri shorts and a moisture wicking top. Tri shorts are designed to be functional and comfortable for all three legs of a triathlon. They fit snug like jammers for swimming, have a light chamois for more comfortable cycling, dry quickly and offer muscle support for the run. If they're not available at your local shop you can get a sweet pair in the BT store, or on websites like www.sunrisetri.com www.trisports.com www.all3sports.com

For your top half the ideal choice is a tri top. They offer the same properties at the tri shorts (minus the chamois for cycling!), have pockets on the back for gels, fit well under a wetsuit and are snug fitting to reduce chafing.

Keep in mind that about 1% of people actually look good in tri specific clothing! It's not the most flattering apparel, but it is the most functional. When it comes to race day about 99% of people will be in tri specific clothing, and we've all had second thoughts about wearing it. Remember, you're out there for yourself and to enjoy the sport, if people want to waste time passing judgement on you, let them. Odds are they're just insecure about themself.

Personally I wear tri specific clothing for any multisport format (run-swim, run-bike run, swim-bike-run, etc). It makes the event much simpler because you don't have to worry about changing clothes in transition (have you ever tried to put a shirt on a wet body, it's nearly impossible!).

After saying all this, comfort is key! Try a few different styles and find ones that work for you. There are a variety of options, but I'd recommend a top and bottom, not a one piece suit. A two piece let's you unzip the top if you're racing in hot weather (with a sports bra on ladies!) and makes bathroom stops much easier.

My last suggestion in this post is to invest in some Body Glide (available at most local run and bike shops and the websites listed above). This will become your best friend through training and racing! Put it anywhere you may suffer from chafing...groin area, back of your neck when wearing a wetsuit, on your feet...the possibilities are endless!

This weekend I'll try and put together some some information regarding tri gear, what to wear and other race day topics. For now it's back to a little more work, I'll try and answer wet weather clothing question before I head to the pool at 5!

2009-01-08 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran

Going to do some lifting and abs tonight while i watch the football game.  Big football fan so it is sad that it is getting to the end of the season. 

I was wondering how much should I be lifting a week and should i be pushing my self with weights and building muscle or trying to tone? Dont really know what the best is for training with triathlons.

Rymac, ya i am very excited for the Spirit of Racine.  Really hoping to finish with a good time but moslty just enjoying it.  I got some friends that are doing it as well so it should be a great race.  Nervous if i will be ready but excited to get training as well.

Edited by jabraunski 2009-01-08 3:19 PM
2009-01-08 3:21 PM
in reply to: #1895614

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
jabraunski - 2009-01-08 3:39 PM

Going to do some lifting and abs tonight while i watch the football game.  Big football fan so it is sad that it is getting to the end of the season. 

I was wondering how much should I be lifting a week and should i be pushing my self with weights and building muscle or trying to tone? Dont really know what the best is for training with triathlons.

The "Great Weight Debate"...some people say never, others say high reps with low weight. My coach has me lifting twice a week, feel free to look in my training log to see what my weight lifting sessions are like. My goal is to build muscular endurance, not bulk. I'd say you should lean more towards the "tone" side of things rather than building big muscle

2009-01-08 4:22 PM

New user

Just a quick (or maybe not so quick) question - what's the advantage of having a tri-bike over a racing bike?  My mom has a really nice racing bike that I'll probably use, but I'm just wondering.  Thanks
2009-01-08 4:35 PM

User image

New user

Victoria

Thanks Matt for the great suggestions and insight on race clothing.  I wasn't expecting a fast reply, but all the more impressive..

Thank you!!!

-----

I looked up the 0 to 1650 swim training and was thinking of working on that to help with my short sprint tri in February and with the sprint tri in March.  What are your thoughts on the 0 to 1650 thing?  I plan on being in the pool three of the four days that I can hit my gym so I am hoping I will be ok in the swim portion.

-----

Justin - Since you are probably only swimming up to a 1650 - here is one prep workout that will be harder to achieve.  I'm guessing the swim distance is a 500m - if so, make it a goal to practice swimming the race multiple times.  You can even try doing this once a week or once every two weeks.  500m is really not much in swimming terms.  I get in about 3000 to 6000m a day and I'm only swimming a max of 2 hrs 15 mins a day in up to 2 workouts.  This is nothing for me as I used to get upwards of 13,000 yards a day in my competitive years.  If you can increase your pool time and yardage/meters, this will help you (30 mins to 1 hr is great.)

-------

Here's the suggestion:

Warm up - 200 swim, 100 pull, 100 kick (400)

1st Set -  12 x 50's drill/swim on 15 rest moderate pace (600)

500 swim for time

150 warm down or until your heart rate is back down to 80.  Take your time with warm down especially as it is crucial for next swim recovery and feeling good.

1650 yards total.

-------

The set I'd like to do every two weeks is the following:

1200m mixed warm up.

(800 swim/drill - 400 kick)

1500m for time. (22:10 mins was my first time.)

warm down 300

3000 m workout - should take roughly 1 hr to 1hr 30 mins.

----

Other great sets to get your speed up are

12x 25's - 25 head up free- keep head out of water and straight ahead, 25 swim

6x50's - 25 head up, 25 free

6x75 - 25 scull, 25 head up, 25 swim

8x25's under water.  This helps get your breathing under control and can help overall fitness.

There are a few ideas I use or multiply at any level of swimming...

- Jen

2009-01-08 5:59 PM
in reply to: #1895391

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Not tardy at all Matt.  Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping to get through my first two triathlons before I spent too much money.  I just want to be sure that I want to continue on and do another tri.  I was thinking about getting a tri short and using a different top.  I am willing to spend ~$50-$70 on the short now, then maybe wait until after the first race to get the top.  I have a Sugoi RS bike jersey, what do you think about wearing that jersey with a tri short for the run and bike in my first tri?

2009-01-08 6:13 PM
in reply to: #1895900

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Here's the suggestion:

Warm up - 200 swim, 100 pull, 100 kick (400)--pull is arms only and kick is legs only?

1st Set -  12 x 50's drill/swim on 15 rest moderate pace (600)--The "15 rest" is 15 seconds?  And that rest is taken when, in between each 50 set?

500 swim for time

150 warm down or until your heart rate is back down to 80.  Take your time with warm down especially as it is crucial for next swim recovery and feeling good.

1650 yards total.

Thanks for the input Jen.  My first tri has a swim at the end (100 yds) and the second has the 500 meter at the beginning.  I had to look up a few swim terms there.  Please see my questions above.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now) Rss Feed  

of 9