BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2009-01-12 8:02 AM
in reply to: #1876643

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: kalalau's Group - FULL for now

Update on my Disney World Marathon yesterday.  I did about as expected, coming in at 3:53:03.  I was fairly strong the whole way.  Started off a little fast in case I had a 3:40 in me, but I was smart enough to recognize early that I didn't so I backed off a little bit.  My body is quite beat up right now, more beat up than usually after a marathon.  I won't be able to run for a while because of my knee.

The weather was pretty good; it was pretty cool weather for a good 3 hours of the race before it heated up.  Disney is really good at their medical tent, it's funny to see a high percentage of people walking around with bags of ice, ceram-wrapped to themselves.

The big challenge for the weekend was having a 9 year old pull me around Magic Kingdom until 10pm the night before, and til 6pm at Animal Kingdom the day of the race, of which I both succeeded somehow and it was totally worth it.

Too bad you can't get Florida water very cold even with tons of ice thrown in the bath.  Ice baths are fantastic for the legs.  I will be doing that once I get back to Maryland.

Next year - The Goofy Challenge!  I think. :-)

2009-01-12 10:08 AM

Dave,

Congrats on the marathon. Sorry about the knees. I hope this isn't serious. Will you still be able to compete in Lake Placid Ironman?

I've done the ice bath myself last summer.  It's not so bad once your entire lower body goes numb.   :)

So what goes through a runner's head during a marathon? Do you concentrate on the run, or just let your mind wander? I've always wondered.

2009-01-12 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1901847

User image

Randolph, NJ

Congrats on the marathon! I have always wanted to try one myself. Perhaps next year!

I hope your knee is feeling better.

I can use some advice from anyone. I am forcing myself to go to the pool tomorrow and work on my swimming. Just not sure where to even start. Do I focus on lap#'s? On timing? On breathing? Use flip turns or no flip turns?  It's been a LONG time since I swam competitively...but i know I can do it again! Just tell me best place to start.

Thanks,

Abbie 

2009-01-12 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1901841

Subject: 2009 regimen

I appreciate it Dave.

I have not done an IM, but figured doing the training will make the smaller races seem easier.  I understand the destruction it can cause, but did not know where to start so I picked the easiest hardest training log (bronze IM).  I may suspend my IM training log and join the schools swim and cycling clubs.  This will be nice to meet new people and learn new techniques and routes. 

I do not believe I am able to fullfil the IM this year because of sign-ups and my tardiness.  I had no idea they filled up so quickly.  I am eying a sprint in Manasas March 29th to get the transitions down and to ease into this new adventure.  I would like to accomplish a half IM, but most the ones I have been eying are booked.  I think the Rhode Island (July 12th), Idaho (June 2nd), Bristol NH (June 3rd), and Boise (June 13th) half IM would be very doable (Just one, back-to-back like that might break me).  They are mid-way through tri season and the temperatures would not be unbareable.

Do you think any of these choices would be better?  Maybe you have done one or know someone to have participated in one of these? 

I am mandated to do the Rock & Roll Marathon in Nashville April 25th.  No backing out.  This bumps my tri's to prep for half IM's back a bit so I can recover from and do well in this event.

Also, in-between half IM's I was thinking Olympic or longer sprints would be good to keep fresh on transitions and the overall feeling of being in a competitive atmospher.

2009-01-12 6:31 PM
in reply to: #1902143

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Sorry I don't answer every post yet. I get home tonight and be answering them all then or tomorrow. The knee problem is due to an old injury pre running and is probably ok. Hard to imagine a scenario where I don't do Lake Placid. For swimming they say to start with drills. More later. During marathon I am usually thinking about my current state, what I need and if I need to adjust my pace. Sometimes Dora The Explorer songs enter the head.
2009-01-13 2:52 PM

Abby-

Here is a strategy I use when planning swimming workouts (or running or biking).

I find a race I am interested in, and look at last year's results.  I look at one of the slower racers in my age/gender group and note how long he spent swimming.  Now I have an idea of how long my swim workouts should be - let's say 35 minutes.

In that 35 minute interval, I work towards attaining the most laps I can, which means working on endurance and efficiency.  No need to swim for hours when all you need is 35 minutes.  I'd rather spend the extra time lifting weights.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I thought I'd offer it to you and the group for feedback.

2009-01-13 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1902289

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
abbiesue - 2009-01-12 12:11 PM

I can use some advice from anyone. I am forcing myself to go to the pool tomorrow and work on my swimming. Just not sure where to even start. Do I focus on lap#'s? On timing? On breathing? Use flip turns or no flip turns?  It's been a LONG time since I swam competitively...but i know I can do it again! Just tell me best place to start.

Thanks,

Abbie 

Abbie's got a picture posted! :-)

For swimming, are you having trouble with endurance, form, or everything?

Here is a link to Total Immersion, which is what I used and a lot of people on this website have used.  It gets rave reviews.  Sometimes it seems hokey, but in the end you can still get a lot out of it even if you don't agree with everything.

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Immersion-Revolutionary-Better-Faster/dp/0743253434

A lot of the swimming suggestions that I have read focus on things like reducing your stroke count for one length of the pool.  The idea is that if you get across the pool in as few strokes as possible, you are working on your efficiency, and reducing drag.  Drag is the #1 factor in slowing you down and making you tired.

I like to do flip turns, but I don't think it matters.

Right now I would go as slow as you need to go in order to make yourself comfortable doing the laps.  Then, as you get better, we can start doing some interval training to increase your speed.

There are lots of great videos on YouTube for some drills you can work on.  I'd post them but I can't do that at work.

There is a book preview of the TI book at Google Books.  When I first started, I read through the preview and that gave me some ideas of how to get started.

http://books.google.com/books?id=d_Eot0PEKpcC&dq=total+immersion&printsec=frontcover

Your logging of your workouts looks fantastic, I like it.  Maybe you'll even push me to start logging mine. :-)

2009-01-13 4:19 PM
in reply to: #1902807

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: 2009 regimen
khaustinjr - 2009-01-12 3:37 PM

I appreciate it Dave.

I have not done an IM, but figured doing the training will make the smaller races seem easier.  I understand the destruction it can cause, but did not know where to start so I picked the easiest hardest training log (bronze IM).  I may suspend my IM training log and join the schools swim and cycling clubs.  This will be nice to meet new people and learn new techniques and routes. 

I do not believe I am able to fullfil the IM this year because of sign-ups and my tardiness.  I had no idea they filled up so quickly.  I am eying a sprint in Manasas March 29th to get the transitions down and to ease into this new adventure.  I would like to accomplish a half IM, but most the ones I have been eying are booked.  I think the Rhode Island (July 12th), Idaho (June 2nd), Bristol NH (June 3rd), and Boise (June 13th) half IM would be very doable (Just one, back-to-back like that might break me).  They are mid-way through tri season and the temperatures would not be unbareable.

Do you think any of these choices would be better?  Maybe you have done one or know someone to have participated in one of these? 

I am mandated to do the Rock & Roll Marathon in Nashville April 25th.  No backing out.  This bumps my tri's to prep for half IM's back a bit so I can recover from and do well in this event.

Also, in-between half IM's I was thinking Olympic or longer sprints would be good to keep fresh on transitions and the overall feeling of being in a competitive atmospher.

IM training does make a HIM feel like "just another race," I'll admit to that.  But IM training can be really tough, and it's hard to stick with for long periods of time.  People burn out all the time, and it hurts relationships because of the time spent on it.  I really didn't want to sign up for Lake Placid because I thought I should take some time off, but I was there at registration and I thought this might be my only opportunity to do it.  Friends laugh because I say "I inadvertantly signed up for an Ironman." :-)

You don't have to abandon the training, just maybe head into a program focused on your primary race of the season.  Yes, swimming clubs are a great idea as well.

I don't know much about the HIMs you mentioned except that they exist.  Do you care if it is Ironman branded or not?  If not, there are a lot more options.  I have done the Morgantown Half, in July, which is a good race but hilly.  Musselman (New York) is a very popular race as well, in July.  In the early fall, a popular nearby race is the Delaware Diamondman, all flat and a fast race.  There is also a nice half in Williamsburg in September, which I was supposed to do last year but it was cancelled due to the hurricane.  But if you are looking for the Ironman brand name, any of them will be great.  Ironman puts on a class race no matter where you are.

For your marathon, are you looking to do your best, or just "well?"  You can do both HIM and marathon training at the same time.  Just mix the two schedules together a bit, eliminating some of the running (but not the long runs).  When I line up my season, I decide what are my 'A' races, what are my 'B' races, and what are my 'C' races.  They all differ in priorities.  A 'B' race might be the marathon.  I will train for the marathon but the real focus is IM Lake Placid.  So I might not get the full training or taper in for the marathon, but I am still able to do it and do it decently.  For a 'C' race, I am almost just doing it for training.  A little taper if any, and no changes to the training schedule.  A half marathon, a sprint, or an olympic tri, might fall into that category for HIM or IM schedules.  These are races where you don't care at all what time you finish.

Prioritizing the races helps you make decisions in the training plan.

You are thinking well with the plan to keep racing the smaller races, it really does help a lot.

Edited by kalalau 2009-01-13 4:20 PM
2009-01-13 4:32 PM
in reply to: #1902807

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: 2009 regimen
khaustinjr - 2009-01-12 3:37 PM

I do not believe I am able to fullfil the IM this year because of sign-ups and my tardiness.  I had no idea they filled up so quickly. 

If it is important to you to do an Ironman branded race, then you need to think about 2010 soon, and be ready to sign up when the time comes.  For some of these races, you will have to travel (and maybe volunteer) just to get in.  Lake Placid is one that you will have to show up on site to sign up.  Louisville, not so much.  Florida, is a risk if you try online signup.  Arizona sells out quickly but not so fast that you can fear missing out if you go online the day it opens, or maybe the week it opens.  But then you have to fly your bike out to AZ.

There's a lot more options if you don't care about the Ironman brand name. (I did, and can appreciate caring about it.)  Chesapeake Man is the one that comes to mind first, in Maryland.  That one stays open until just before the race in October, I believe.  Beach2Battleship is one in North Carolina that just started last year, and was highly successful.  This is a full iron distance as well as a half.

Edited by kalalau 2009-01-13 5:17 PM
2009-01-13 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
When you all are printing the BT training guides, are you clicking on every week's PDF link and printing each, or is there an easy way to print the whole thing at once?
2009-01-13 5:15 PM
in reply to: #1899068

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: kalalau's Group - OPEN
smartiec - 2009-01-09 10:57 PM

I've recently started biking 2x/week (although it's been quite cold recently).  The bike I have right now is a Gary Fisher mountain bike I've fitted with more road-friendly tires...not the best for the situation, but it works for right now. 

Ah, I'm glad you mentioned this.  If I was on my game, I should've recommended road or hybrid tires for Abbie's mountain bike.  Abbie, you can get smoother tires pretty cheaply if you wait for sales.  When I need bike parts, I am usually waiting for it to go on sale at Performance Bike or Nashbar.  Eventually, everything goes on sale at those stores/websites.  I can keep my eyes open if you like.  Have the smoother tires should make you a lot faster in the race.

2009-01-13 5:23 PM
in reply to: #1895209

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Mooney - 2009-01-08 1:32 PM

You might be right about the too much / too soon thing. It's too bad Black Bear isn't in the fall. It sounds like a great course. I haven't given up on it yet though.

Well, since you live right there, I think Black Bear is in your future, whether it's this year or some other. :-)  You could always do the international distance this year to get the flavor.

2009-01-13 5:26 PM
in reply to: #1896892

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

abbiesue - 2009-01-09 7:58 AM 

I was reading what everyone was saying, should I be ending with a quick run after i bike?

Yes, I would, but if you're strapped for time you don't have to.  Maybe once or twice a week.  When you get to the longer bike rides, you might not feel like running so much, so you don't have to run after those.

Most of the plans seem to call for a bike/run once a week.  I just see the opportunity there, especially when I am on the bike trainer at the gym, and don't want to waste it so I run, even if it's a short distance.

2009-01-13 5:36 PM
in reply to: #1897723

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Darcious - 2009-01-09 1:20 PM

I am going out on a limb here to force myself to commit to another Tri. I have found I need someone to hold me accountable.  I did a sprint in '07 and really liked it much better than doing a 1/2 marathon.  I'm not much of an athlete, but need these goals so that I at least do something! 

I'm a 39 yo mom of one (8 yr old boy) and have been married for 16 yrs.  I started running on a bet from a friend when my son was 4, and have done various races since.  I have done one Duathlon and one Triathlon, and I prefer these to just running.  I get bored.  I even struggle to run on the treadmill (it makes me feel somewhat like those gerbils I had when I was 9 or 10).  I took 2008 off (as in NO exercise of any form) just due to a way crazy schedule and sheer laziness, so I'm working my way back into things.  I've added Group Power to my workouts to try to get some strength back. 

My goals: Duathlon in March, 1/2 marathon in June, and Tri in August.

The Tri in '07 was mostly just to see if I could do it; this time I feel the need to do it right by getting some training and advice - and this seemed like a great place to get it!

D

Welcome D!

Yes, triathlons are a lot easier on the body than long distance running, I can see why you'd like to do that rather than half marathons.  I would venture to say that a half Ironman is easier on the body than a marathon. 

So if we keep you accountable, you'll focus and keep training? ;-)

I have found that I always need a race on my calendar as well, to keep me going.

You remind me of a quote from a podcast I listen to.  It sounds kind of harsh, but it's funny, and true a lot of times.  "You don't hate running, you just suck at it."  That's the podcast guy talking; I don't talk to people like that. ;-)  But it's true that the better you get at it, the more you will like it.  And it takes a while.  But, the nice thing about triathlon is that you have 3 disciplines to work on, which can keep things fresh.  And they all work interchangeably, each sport will help improve the other sport.  It's funny how that happens.

Your women's tri in Seattle is going to be awesome.   Are you driving to that race?

2009-01-13 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Hi Dave!  I'm Christi from Alexandria, VA.  I'm hoping your group is still open!

I am registered for my first triathlons this year...I'm excited and ready to get started!

A bit about me and what I've been doing/what I have planned:

I have been running for almost three years with a group about three days/week, 3-4 miles 2x/week with a long run of 10-12 miles 1x/week.  I've run in the Annapolis 10-miler, GW Parkway Classic 10-miler and the Army 10-miler for the past three years, my pace settling around 9 min/mile.  In addition I weight train 2-3x/week and try to fit in a yoga class when I can.

I've recently started biking 2x/week (although it's been quite cold recently).  The bike I have right now is a Gary Fisher mountain bike I've fitted with more road-friendly tires...not the best for the situation, but it works for right now.  I've also been swimming at my gym 2x/week, but I have to say it's been killing me.  I haven't really been in a pool since I was on my school swim team in high school. 

I have a pretty busy schedule (running and tri) planned for this year.  It includes:

National 1/2 Marathon, Cherry Blossom 10-miler, GW Parkway Classic, Marine Corps Historic 1/2 Marathon, Philadelphia Women's Triathlon, Columbia IronGirl, Annapolis 10-miler, Army 10-miler, and Marine Corps Marathon. 

I'd appreciate any advice and guidance you can give to this tri-newbie.  Thanks!  -Christi 

Hi Christi!  It's great to have you on board.  We must do a lot of the same races.  I also do the A-10 a lot, but every year I say that I'm not doing it, because it's a lot of hassle.  9 min miles for that race, with those hills and heat, is pretty good.  I used to do yoga class 1-2 times a week, but that fell to the wayside when I got crazy and started half ironman training.  I try to do yoga here and there, but you know how that goes.  I did the Cherry Blossom a couple of times, but that's a big deal as well, and when I did it, the weather was really bad.  Of course, when I don't do it, the weather is great.  It'll be a lot of fun.

I've always wanted to go see the Iron Girl race, but when the time comes, I think why would I get out there that early in the morning to watch a race? :-)  Maybe you will get me out there so I can watch you.  It's not far from home.

National 1/2 Marathon is a good race.  Packed with all the sites, and the parking is great.  MCM is one of those must-do races for those of us in the area.

If you like Iron Girl, you might be interested in a race I do every year not far from Ocean City - Osprey Sprint Triathlon - in early October.

If you have questions, just shoot away.  There are no silly questions. That's why I admitted that I once wore my wetsuit on the bike portion of the race.  It's hard to be embarrassed around a guy who has done such a thing. :-)

2009-01-13 5:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I've also been swimming at my gym 2x/week, but I have to say it's been killing me.  I haven't really been in a pool since I was on my school swim team in high school. 

That's kind of interesting that you and Abbie both have competitive swimming backgrounds, but are struggling right now. 

2009-01-13 6:08 PM
in reply to: #1899499

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
ras26 - 2009-01-10 11:57 AM

My name is Becky and I am looking to join your group.  I will be 29 in February and have yet to do my first tri.  I live in Frederick County, MD. 

Background:
When I was (much) younger I did volleyball, softball, and track competitively.  During/after college I did some aerobics instruction and did short runs (5k) just to stay in shape.  After moving to Maryland and continuing to run 3-4 miles a couple times a week, my running friend decided we needed a goal, and we did our first half marathon in 2005 (Baltimore).  Afterwards, I sat under a tree and swore I would never take another step past 13.1 miles.  Well, time makes you forget and within a month or so, I decided I would be doing the Marine Corps Marathon in 2006.  In total, I've now done 7 marathons and 6 halves.  I am slow, but persistent.  My time goal for the full continues to be 5 hours.  I've been within 3 minutes more than once, but have yet to get it right.  My half PR is a 2:13. 

Where I'm at now:
Always looking for a challenge, my boyfriend and I decided tris would be a fun new adventure.  In July I bought a road bike and joined a gym to learn to swim.  However, fall marathon training ramped up and I just really got back into going to the pool, and my rides are now on the trainer.  I am still getting used to my bike, and the swims are getting easier, although some may still consider it more flailing than swimming.  I have done up to 42 laps without stopping, but it's at a pace of like 2:38/100.  My improvement has been measurable though, and I'm trying to incorporate drills to help technique. 

My goals:
I am signed up for my first and second tris in May and June: Columbia (oly) and EagleMan(hIM).  I will start formal training Jan.26, and all I want is to finish Eagleman without being pulled off the course due to time cutoffs.  I'm optimistic, but know it will take a lot of hard work. I am excited for the challenge!  My logs are *mostly* up to date.  I'll work on that later today. 

Thanks in advance for being a great mentor!!

Hi Becky!

Hey, we've got the same race schedule!  That is awesome.   Well, if one were to sign up for a HIM (half Ironman) without ever having done a tri, Eagleman is the one to do.  Flat and fast.  I have two other friends who are doing Eagleman as their first HIM.  It was really hot last year though, like 97 degrees.  Somehow we will survive whatever the day throws at us, and you will feel great about it.

Did you do the Baltimore or Frederick marathons last year?  I was a pacer for the 4:15 group in Frederick and the 5:00 group in Baltimore.  Did you run with my Baltimore group?  Seems like you would've been around me.  I was "the loud guy." :-)  I tried to distract folks, and it was a blast.

I like your progress.  Good job.  I remember when I was training for my first HIM and I was around 2:38/100 pace.  Where are you getting your drill ideas?  Maybe we can pass them along to the rest of the group.

I don't think you have to worry about being pulled off the course in either race.  

Did you know that Linda Carter, Wonder Woman, did Columbia?  Apparently she's a triathlete. :-)  Mayor Fenty from DC is one too, and pretty fast.

Columbia is kind of hilly, you might want to come out here and ride the course on your bike as part of your training.  Princeton Sports used to take weekly rides on the course, but they seem to have stopped that, due to it being dangerous due to traffic.  I bet they will start the rides back up shortly before the race.  Those rides were really well attended.

Christi - the store also has bike rides on the Iron Girl race course.  Fortunately, you skip the Columbia Tri hills.

Back to Becky.  I am sure my friends and I will be training on the Eagleman course a couple of times, if you'd like to come along.  Did you get your hotel yet?  They are mostly full.  Is your boyfriend doing both races as well, and also hasn't done his first tri?

2009-01-13 6:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Ok, now that I have killed everyone's email inbox with update notifications if they have them turned on, and completely filled up this page of posts, I think I have answered all the posts that I had pending.  If I missed anything, please let me know.
2009-01-13 10:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I looked for some beginner freestyle drills similar to the ones in TI but I haven't found them yet.  I did find some other types of drills that I see mentioned a lot, and I do fairly often.

http://swimming.about.com/cs/techniquetips/a/Freestyl_Drills.htm

I remember the fist drill being a real eye opener.  It was super tough to do in the beginning.  It didn't seem possible to swim with closed fists!  This will definitely be a drill where you can tell when you are progressing with getting your balance, and ability to catch the water.

Another tip would be to not worry about kicking so much.  You only need to kick just enough to balance your body correctly in the water.  Any more and you are tiring yourself out more than you are gaining.  What you do need to do is make your feet streamlined.  Most of us in this group come from a runner background, that leads to inflexible feet that don't point very much in swimming.  Make sure to point your feet!

Keep your body long and lean.  Someone once mentioned to me to stand at a door and stretch really high with your arm, to the point where your body is then turned and you are on the tips of your toes.  That's what your stroke should feel like when stretched.  

I often try to think of my body being a pencil in the water, straight, long, lean, twisting in the water.

TI often mentions pushing your torso towards the bottom of the pool.  When you do this, your feet rise towards the top of the water.  The author describes this as feeling as though you are "swimming downhill."  It does help to think of it that way.  Before you swim like this, you spend a lot of your energy trying to keep your body on top of the water.  When you get your balance correct, it saves your energy.

2009-01-14 4:23 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Hey Dave,

I marked your group before I left on a business trip and just got back to find you are full.:-(

Can I be first on your waiting list?

Steve
2009-01-14 7:47 AM

Kalalau,

Regarding kicking - I kick once per stroke (not a 2-beat, 3 beat, whatever).  My kick is sort of a "side-stroke" kick.  When timed with the arm stroke, I get a great "launch".  It feels like I'm pushing off the pool wall and gliding for a  long time (recall - 15 strokes per pool length).  The problem is - it takes a lot of energy.  I don't think I can do that for a mile swim.

The light "flutter" kick feels effortless, but does not propel me much at all.  It just balances my body while I stroke, so the arms are doing all the real work.  But I can sustain that kick forever.

Should I try to develop this "side-stroke" kick  and build endurance there, or is the flutter kick the way to go?

2009-01-14 9:54 AM
in reply to: #1905577

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply.  I am considering the Frederick Half this year, just for fun and since I literally live like 4 miles from the start.  I did not do Baltimore last year, but was there cheering on my boyfriend who has done the full for 3 years now.  I was also cheering for a woman that I think was in your pace group, Jen...I think she had a pink hat on.  I haven't done the full in Baltimore and am considering it for my fall marathon.  MCM is often my fall Marathon of choice, but Baltimore doesn't fill up as fast and I want to give it a try.  It's a great race and the BF loves it and always PRs, even with the hills. 

No hotel in Cambridge yet.  Oops.

As for Columbia, the hills around where I live are similar to around Columbia, but since I'm not far away, we will probably give the course a trial run a time or two before the actual race.  Columbia and Eagleman will also be the first tris for the BF, so we are in this together!  A practice ride on the Eagleman course probably won't be a bad idea, so when the time comes, please let me know.  We are doing 2 "trial weeks" of our training schedule this week and next to see if the schedule will work before training really starts on 1/26.  This required me to get up early yesterday and do power intervals on the trainer.  I'm not a morning person, but I did it!   Tonight is run and swim. 

Despite what my logs say, I'm not doing a BT training plan, but found a challenging beginner program to follow (we have a big book that has like 12 levels of training plans for every distance from sprint to IM, we chose level 4).  It doesn't look easy by any means, but i think it will get the job done.  For the most part it's a 9 workout a week plan, with bricks about every other week (and bricks only count as a single workout). I'm going to try to upload my plan later today.

I got a couple of swimming drills from here (BT site) and also have the TI book, but haven't really implemented it yet.  Up until now, we'd just been going to the pool and swimming the chosen distance without stopping; mostly trying to get comfortable in the water and learn to breathe correctly, no drills, intervals, etc. although I did try to incorporate some the the concepts like the catch-up drill, or the fingertip drag to encourage better form.  We will be incorporating drills and such as part of the formal training.

I think that's it.  I better get back to work! :-)

2009-01-14 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1906357

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

SCamp07 - 2009-01-14 5:23 AM Hey Dave, I marked your group before I left on a business trip and just got back to find you are full.:-( Can I be first on your waiting list? Steve

I'm such a sucker, and you're a local guy, so sure, welcome! :-)  Please tell us about yourself.

Can't say I've done a 50k yet, but that's just a matter of me doing it.  Which one are you doing?

2009-01-14 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1906503

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Mooney - 2009-01-14 8:47 AM

Kalalau,

Regarding kicking - I kick once per stroke (not a 2-beat, 3 beat, whatever).  My kick is sort of a "side-stroke" kick.  When timed with the arm stroke, I get a great "launch".  It feels like I'm pushing off the pool wall and gliding for a  long time (recall - 15 strokes per pool length).  The problem is - it takes a lot of energy.  I don't think I can do that for a mile swim.

The light "flutter" kick feels effortless, but does not propel me much at all.  It just balances my body while I stroke, so the arms are doing all the real work.  But I can sustain that kick forever.

Should I try to develop this "side-stroke" kick  and build endurance there, or is the flutter kick the way to go?

I will have to get in the pool and see what that feels like.  I think I have felt that before.  But it sounds great that you can do the light flutter kick that balances your body and allows you to swim forever.  We also need to save our legs because we need to jump on a bike after we get out of the water.  I would stay with the flutter kick.  I'll dig up some talk about the kick.

2009-01-14 10:59 AM
in reply to: #1906820

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
ras26 - 2009-01-14 10:54 AM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply.  I am considering the Frederick Half this year, just for fun and since I literally live like 4 miles from the start.  I did not do Baltimore last year, but was there cheering on my boyfriend who has done the full for 3 years now.  I was also cheering for a woman that I think was in your pace group, Jen...I think she had a pink hat on.  I haven't done the full in Baltimore and am considering it for my fall marathon.  MCM is often my fall Marathon of choice, but Baltimore doesn't fill up as fast and I want to give it a try.  It's a great race and the BF loves it and always PRs, even with the hills. 

No hotel in Cambridge yet.  Oops.

As for Columbia, the hills around where I live are similar to around Columbia, but since I'm not far away, we will probably give the course a trial run a time or two before the actual race.  Columbia and Eagleman will also be the first tris for the BF, so we are in this together!  A practice ride on the Eagleman course probably won't be a bad idea, so when the time comes, please let me know.  We are doing 2 "trial weeks" of our training schedule this week and next to see if the schedule will work before training really starts on 1/26.  This required me to get up early yesterday and do power intervals on the trainer.  I'm not a morning person, but I did it!   Tonight is run and swim. 

Despite what my logs say, I'm not doing a BT training plan, but found a challenging beginner program to follow (we have a big book that has like 12 levels of training plans for every distance from sprint to IM, we chose level 4).  It doesn't look easy by any means, but i think it will get the job done.  For the most part it's a 9 workout a week plan, with bricks about every other week (and bricks only count as a single workout). I'm going to try to upload my plan later today.

I got a couple of swimming drills from here (BT site) and also have the TI book, but haven't really implemented it yet.  Up until now, we'd just been going to the pool and swimming the chosen distance without stopping; mostly trying to get comfortable in the water and learn to breathe correctly, no drills, intervals, etc. although I did try to incorporate some the the concepts like the catch-up drill, or the fingertip drag to encourage better form.  We will be incorporating drills and such as part of the formal training.

I think that's it.  I better get back to work! :-)

Thanks for the update on drills.  Drills are so hard to stick with, because they are not impressive at all, are quite boring, and give you no confidence that you can do the distance.  But they work, no doubt.  I really need to do more drills.

I'd probably know Jen from the her face.  Name sort of sounds familiar.  For Baltimore, I had these two balloon sticks that I banged almost the whole time, and I screamed a lot.  My arms were sore when I got done, and my voice was hoarse. I'd like to think that I helped people, but it wouldn't be hard to believe if someone was actually chased away. :-)

The training plan always looks daunting, but once you get into it for a few weeks, it'll settle on you and you'll learn to accept it.  Then, when the race it over, you won't know what to do with yourself for all this free time! 

Riding the actual course is a nice confidence booster, that's all.  Yes Frederick has some nice hills. :-)

For Eagleman, a lot of people seem to take advantage of the camping site they offer cheaply.  I think they do it at a local high school.  That should still be available.  Otherwise, just keep your eye open for cancellations.  Worst case scenario you would still be able to get a place about an hour away I think.

I'll be interested in seeing what a 9 workout/week plan looks like.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 38