Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2009-04-09 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2068595

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Team No DNF - FULL
I will also be giving bits of advice from time to time, and if you have a specific worry/need/question, please ask.

Rule #1 (And should be rules 1, 2 and 3, it's that important)

NEVER EVER do anything new on raceday.

Don't try GU for the first time, don't wear new shoes, different socks, ride a new bike, etc. There may be some things that are out of your control (such as finding time to actually swim in a wetsuit before the event), but by and large you should be able to do the entire day without doing anything you haven't done. (other than the triathlon itself. ) 6 miles into a 15 mile bike segment is a terrible time to find out that GU gives you cramps/the runs.

Yes, this means you need to practice transitions, too. Both from pool to bike, and bike to run. Things you never thought of, like trying to put on a t-shirt or race shirt when you are soaking wet. (It's more difficult than you think). Wearing that brand new tri jersey only to figure out that the new tightness causes you to breathe funny.

The more familar everything is, the easier it will be.

My first triathlon, one of the ways I practiced swim to run was to lay in the bathtub, and then run through the house to the garage to change for the bike. (Yeah, mom yelled at me for dripping all over the house ) It sounds silly, but the more you can do to be familiar with all the little things, the easier it all will be, which will enable you to just relax and enjoy the day, especially for your first.

Have fun! (I think I'll make that rule #2.)

John

2009-04-09 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2074050

User image

Veteran
Maine
I'm sure I am in a similar boat as alot of new triathletes with money- there just doesn't seem to be enough. I'm trying to slowly buy things I need and with the cost of races also being expensive I am trying to only buy what is necessary.  What are the essential things needed to do the triathlon? I have a road bike and a pair of running shoes thats about it.
2009-04-09 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2074229

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
zachkoe - 2009-04-09 11:30 AM I'm sure I am in a similar boat as alot of new triathletes with money- there just doesn't seem to be enough. I'm trying to slowly buy things I need and with the cost of races also being expensive I am trying to only buy what is necessary. What are the essential things needed to do the triathlon? I have a road bike and a pair of running shoes thats about it.

That's pretty much it. Road bike, helmet, running shoes, something to swim in (suit and goggles) and a t-shirt. All the rest is window dressing. If you're not going for a podium spot, nobody really cares if you take 2 minutes in transition to put on a t-shirt, etc, or if you have carbon fiber velcro bike shoes or you bike in your running shoes.

If you know your size, you can hang on ebay and snipe some really nice deals. A nice pair of tri shorts and top or full trisuit can be nice, but not necessary.

John
2009-04-09 2:00 PM

User image

On your right
Also for inexpensive, but good deals on Tri stuff, I got the DeSoto catalog, and singend up for their emails.  The catalog is expensive, but I got an email wiht a link to the stuff left from the 2008 stuff, and it was a pretty decent price for some still new things from a top company.

PM me if you want the link, as I'll share with the group first.
2009-04-09 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2074332

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Chaderbox - 2009-04-09 12:00 PM Also for inexpensive, but good deals on Tri stuff, I got the DeSoto catalog, and singend up for their emails. The catalog is expensive, but I got an email wiht a link to the stuff left from the 2008 stuff, and it was a pretty decent price for some still new things from a top company.

PM me if you want the link, as I'll share with the group first.

Coolness.

I also have a deal through Rudy Project (Sunglasses/helmets and a few other products) for 40% off, so if any of you are ordering any of that let me know and I can share the code with you.

John
2009-04-09 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2074523

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
tkd.teacher - 2009-04-09 3:55 PM
Coolness.

I also have a deal through Rudy Project (Sunglasses/helmets and a few other products) for 40% off, so if any of you are ordering any of that let me know and I can share the code with you.

John

That is also good to know, seeing that I will be in need of some new riding and running shades in the not to distant future.  My LBS is having their annual everything on sale starting next Friday, so I'm going to check out their selection and prices as well.  I should support them as I just spent $1100 there yesterday.  Surprised  Bought bikes for the family and picked me up a decent mountain bike to use for training as well.

2009-04-09 4:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
I would def be interested in that. I need some sunnies. (Aussie for sunglasses.)

Thanks, Fi
2009-04-09 5:48 PM
in reply to: #2074695

User image

alexenafi - 2009-04-09 4:14 PM I would def be interested in that. I need some sunnies. (Aussie for sunglasses.)

Thanks, Fi

My wife and I call them sunnies, too.  And we're from Nebraska. 

2009-04-09 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
I guess there's a little bit of Aussie in all of us

Prob not a shock to you that I have a dingo here - brought her over from Australia ten years ago - and yes, she's great with the kids.
2009-04-09 9:05 PM

User image

Expert
Seriously? A real dingo, or is that more Aussie slang? I didn't know people kept them as pets! Is she a good running partner?
2009-04-09 10:16 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
John,

I took to heart what you mentioned earlier today about just doing something, even if it's a little.  I've been feeling lousy for the past 2 days (sore throat, sinus/cold symptoms).  I wanted to hit the pool tonight, but by the time the kids were in bed, it was after 9.  My pool (local university) closes at 10.  

Decided to put on a few miles on the trainer.  Ended up feeling pretty good and put 11.5 miles on.  Felt pretty good.

Oh, BTW, we need to see pics of said Dingo or she doesn't exist.  Wink

2009-04-09 11:35 PM
in reply to: #2075342

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Cutlass454 - 2009-04-09 8:16 PM John,

I took to heart what you mentioned earlier today about just doing something, even if it's a little.  I've been feeling lousy for the past 2 days (sore throat, sinus/cold symptoms).  I wanted to hit the pool tonight, but by the time the kids were in bed, it was after 9.  My pool (local university) closes at 10.  

Decided to put on a few miles on the trainer.  Ended up feeling pretty good and put 11.5 miles on.  Felt pretty good.

Oh, BTW, we need to see pics of said Dingo or she doesn't exist.  Wink

Good deal, way to get it in!

And yes, pics are imperative.

John
2009-04-10 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2075213

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

trysprintolympic - 2009-04-09 10:05 PM Seriously? A real dingo, or is that more Aussie slang? I didn't know people kept them as pets! Is she a good running partner?

"Maybe the dingo ate your baby."

Sorry.  Couldn't resist.  Count me as another who'd like to see some pics! 

2009-04-10 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2076034

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Inspires - For those that don't know (Most of you probably do) in your training log, there is a link in your header that says "Isnpire". That's where you can leave comments for people.

As a group, I highly encourage you to add each other as friends in your training logs, and watch each others' workouts, and leave inspires. It's much easier to get out and ignore fatigue when you know you've got a bunch of people looking on. That's gotten me out the door a couple times lately, since we have a double workout challenge going on in the Arizona forum.

All in all, looks like you all are off to a good start, lets keep it going!

John
2009-04-10 10:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
I am happy to post photos of the Dingo - yes, an actual dingo- although she's crossed with a german shepherd. She's 11yrs and not well at the moment - they think she has bowel cancer. But a great dog. Running is a problem as she is very strong and if a squirrel comes in to view she darts of, pulling me with her. She actually outruns the retired greyhounds at the beach. It is illegal to have them as pets in Australia (even one crossed with a domestic dog) and very illegal to take a full or part dingo out of Australia. -So I said she was a german shepherd cross. Which she is.

I've tried uploading a pic (and also a profile pic) but for the last few days I've gotten an error message. Have sent an email along to support but have not heard anything. I've tried it on my mac and on my pc. Has anyone else had problems?

Going to have a run today and a spin class tomorrow - and try to get shoes tomorrow for the road bike as well. Going skiing Sunday. Have found a good waterproof bandage where they took my mole off so will swim either today or Sat. (There's no way I will wait 2 weeks to swim again.)

Enjoy the long weekend.
Fi
2009-04-10 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
I tried to go for my first group bike ride this morning and got left in the dust. Literally, in two minutes I could no longer see the group. Luckily I had a good friend who stuck with me, but I was so embarassed! I knew I wasn't fast, but I didn't think I was pathetic.

How much of this is likely due to fitness/training and how much can I blame on my beast of a bike? On one hand, I'd like to hear that I don't really suck and it's all due to the machinery. On the other hand, I'd like to hear that I don't need to spend $1500 on a bike and I can make up the difference just by putting in the miles.

2009-04-10 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Sorry to hear that your dog isn't well, Fiona! Good luck with your training this weekend - sounds like a great workout.
2009-04-10 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Thanks guys!!!!
I read our forum and took in all you said. And it pushed me to push myself on a hills run. I ran for 32 minutes and did 3 hills that each are a bit harder than the one before. I figured that if I don't get that 2nd run in (because I will ski all day instead) that I should make this one count so made it the longest I've done so far and added hills.

Feels great.

Fi
2009-04-10 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2076388

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
trysprintolympic - 2009-04-10 10:05 AM I tried to go for my first group bike ride this morning and got left in the dust. Literally, in two minutes I could no longer see the group. Luckily I had a good friend who stuck with me, but I was so embarassed! I knew I wasn't fast, but I didn't think I was pathetic.

How much of this is likely due to fitness/training and how much can I blame on my beast of a bike? On one hand, I'd like to hear that I don't really suck and it's all due to the machinery. On the other hand, I'd like to hear that I don't need to spend $1500 on a bike and I can make up the difference just by putting in the miles.

95% fitness and training, 5% bike. :D (That may change some if you are riding a mountain bike or something similar, I'm assuming a basic road or tri bike.)

Edited: Ok, you're riding a very heavy mountain bike. Make it much more bike, say at least 35-40% bike. You don't necessarily need to run out and get a road or tri bike though for your first tri, though. And, once you do, hang around the bike stores, get known, see if they have a back room where regulars sell their old stuff, craigslist, things like that. My bike last year was a road bike I picked up for $300 including the trainer. Old, heavy, but it got me through the season!

Group rides are an entirely different beast than solo efforts. Especially if it's not really a beginner friendly ride, they tend to drop the hammer and drop it HARD. One thing you can do is call around to some of the bike shops near you, and see if they have beginner and/or what they call "no drop" rides. On no drop rides, they have scheduled meeting/gather points at various places in the ride for everyone to regroup and get collected.

And, once the group gets going, if you aren't in the draft, it's pretty easy to get dropped and then harder than he## to get back to the group.

You'll get there, I promise!

John

Edited by tkd.teacher 2009-04-10 1:06 PM
2009-04-10 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto

Jenna,
Congratulations for getting out on your first group ride. I'm sure it took a lot of courage to ride with strangers for the first time. Another first survived!

Fi

(thanks for the note about my dog. I've come to terms with it and so now it's all about enjoying her.)

2009-04-10 5:16 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Allright gang -

Killer workout #1

3 mile bike, 1/2 mile run. Do at 80% of maximum effort.

Repeat anywhere from 2-10 times.

Slightly more realistic workout -

4 mile bike, 1/2 mile run done at 50-70% of maximum.
Repeat 2-4 times

John

2009-04-10 6:27 PM

User image

Jenna, don't be embarrassed about falling behind! I think we're all there, to an extent.  I got really embarrassed trying my best to swim two months ago... I bought a pair of "square leg" swimming trunks... which apparently are just a *bit* bigger than speedos (looked much bigger online!).  Well, I got to the pool, got in, swam three laps, and with at least 20 people in the pool area, was completely out of breathe and couldn't swim another stroke.  I thought I was going to die, whether out of exhaustion or embarrassment I don't know.  Despite my really intense swim trunks.

The moral is, we are where we are, and we can be proud just to be moving forward!    I'm impressed you went biking with a group, that'd be pretty intimidating for me.

John, thanks for the tip on no gatorade right before a run.  Should I wait until midway during a workout to pound the 'rade then?

Happy training everyone!

Cam

2009-04-10 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2077239

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
CGunz - 2009-04-10 4:27 PM

Jenna, don't be embarrassed about falling behind! I think we're all there, to an extent.  I got really embarrassed trying my best to swim two months ago... I bought a pair of "square leg" swimming trunks... which apparently are just a *bit* bigger than speedos (looked much bigger online!).  Well, I got to the pool, got in, swam three laps, and with at least 20 people in the pool area, was completely out of breathe and couldn't swim another stroke.  I thought I was going to die, whether out of exhaustion or embarrassment I don't know.  Despite my really intense swim trunks.

The moral is, we are where we are, and we can be proud just to be moving forward!    I'm impressed you went biking with a group, that'd be pretty intimidating for me.

John, thanks for the tip on no gatorade right before a run.  Should I wait until midway during a workout to pound the 'rade then?

Happy training everyone!

Cam

Not so much wait, but doing it right before a run will do a couple things. When you exercise, the body wants to take blood away from internal organs, and move it to where it will help more. With a protein shake trying to be digested, the digestion slows way down and the protein shake just sits there. If you drink an entire gatorade, thats 30-45 grams of sugar. Big energy spike and then a crash, because the glucose coming from cells is delayed.

I normally don't drink anything on runs 6 miles or less, unless its midsummer here in Phx. Bike I'll sip every few minutes, 50% gatorade or powerade and water mix, an occasional GU.

Experiment with it though, everyone is different, it may work for you. I can't eat within an hour of working out, and I can only take limited calories during the workout. But, you might be different.

John
2009-04-10 8:15 PM

User image

Well, I've been treating my endurance stuff like weight lifting.  When I lift, its best for me to consume a bunch of gatorade and coffee a bit before lifting. In fact, if I don't consume something sugary before hand, I get light-headed after my lifting.

This strategy is not going as well for endurance exercises.  But I'm concerned about doing endurance exercise without sufficient carbs and protein, as I thought this would lead to more catabolism of muscle (I've already lost 10+ lbs of muscle since starting this training!

2009-04-10 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2077360

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
CGunz - 2009-04-10 9:15 PM

Well, I've been treating my endurance stuff like weight lifting.  When I lift, its best for me to consume a bunch of gatorade and coffee a bit before lifting. In fact, if I don't consume something sugary before hand, I get light-headed after my lifting.

This strategy is not going as well for endurance exercises.  But I'm concerned about doing endurance exercise without sufficient carbs and protein, as I thought this would lead to more catabolism of muscle (I've already lost 10+ lbs of muscle since starting this training!

From my own personal experience - I do well with eating a light meal or snack about 2 hours or so before a running workout.  If I'm going easy then I can get away with a shorter time frame.  Swimming and biking don't seem to present as many GI issues for me so I don't have to be as careful with the timing.

After a long or particularly difficult workout I try to refuel with quality carbs and protein as soon after the workout as possible.

Another key is to make good nutrition a habit.  If you're eating quality meals and healthy snacks (and watching your hydration) you're more likely to be well fueled for any workout you do.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team No DNF - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24