BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tamio's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2009-04-17 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2078490

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Subject: RE: Tamio's Group - CLOSED - FULL
Hello Everyone!  As Tami mentioned, I had some computer issues the last few days while traveling.  I could PM but not post messages on BT for some reason.  Anyway, here is my intro...

NAME: gdale / George

STORY: I live in Horseheads, NY.  I decided in November 2008 to give tri's a try!  I have been running for fitness since the beginning of 2007 when I realized that I was about 55 lbs heavier than when I went to college.  I guess the freshman 15, the first years of marriage and then a lot of sympathy eating with my wife while she was pregnant over the years added up.  So with diet and running in 2007 I lost about 20 lbs but then put about half back on.  I did some biking in the summer of 2007 too but only about once a week.  Seemed to be plateauing with running so I added swimming at the end of August last year.  I was a lifeguard in highschool but never a swimmer--just did the minimum amount of laps to complete my required workouts.  With time and consistency in the pool I have brought my times down pretty far now averaging 1:44/100 on longer swims.  After I started feeling comfortable in the pool, I decided that working towards a tri would keep me motivated to improve my fitness.  After training for a few months and completing my first indoor tri and a 10K, I think I feel an addiction coming on!  Besides work and training, I am actively involved in my kids sports (coach for wrestling, t-ball and soccer) and serve on the board for a charity based in Dallas, TX.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married with 3 boys - 9, 7, and almost 3

CURRENT TRAINING: A lot of my training happens at lunch at the YMCA near where I work.  I also swim with a Masters group 2 mornings per week which has really helped my swimming.  I typically swim 3 days a week, run 3 days a week and bike 2 days per week and try to work in some core and strength but that has been lacking.  So far, the vast majority of my bike volume has been on a stationary bike.  I am looking forward to getting outside more with the nice weather.

2008 RACES:  None

2009 RACES: Completed the Corning YMCA Tri at the Y in the novice group (20 minutes in each discipline) and got first place...out of 4 people:-).  Then I did the Skunk Cabbage Classic 10K a few weeks ago and finished in 45:25 which I was psyched about. Keuka Lake Sprint Triathlon in June and hopefully the Cayuga Lake Olympic Triathlon in August.  Probably a few local 5k and 10k's as they come up.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I have lost about 12 lbs this year (and won the Bob Stocks mentor group weight loss challenge!).  Another few pounds wouldn't hurt but I am not concerned with them.  I am more focused on keeping my training up and eating well.

Looking forward to swapping ideas and stories with all of you!

George

2009-04-17 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Ahhhhh - another Bob Stocks affiliate! lol
2009-04-17 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Hi everyone, being the last member to join, I now want to give you some insight into me:

Name:  abrezo-  Adam

Status- married with three, 2 sons, 14, 7, and daughter 12.  Yes any help will be accepted!

My Story:   been an athlete all my life.  Live in Lorain, OH and excelled in football, baseball, and ok in basketball.  Played football in division 3.  I have taught for 8 years and now am an administrator.  Like most of you, or some, i fell in love with triathlon by watching the ironman (for some reason i had been able to watch all of the last four years by chance).  Up until now I havent been able to get involved because I coached high school football, very time consuming.  With my new job I can no longer coach and blossomed from 190 to 220 lbs.  After the airing of this years ironman I made the decision, life goal, to compete in an ironman event by 2011, that last line from this years airing asking "how old are you" really stuck with me.   Since the turn of the new year I started working out, then started training and have since dropped down to 194lbs.  (yeah me!

Goals:

2009:  My goal for this year is to compete in 6 sprint events ending the season with an olympic distance event to propell me into next year.

2010:  compete in an ironman 70.3,, not sure where.

2011:  enter into ironman lake placid, or louisville-   schedule will determine.

I truley love this sport even though I am truely a newby.  My pic on my posting is from a 5 mile race i completed in cleveland right before st. patricks day.  Three weeks prior to that race i hadn't even ran 2 continuous miles.  .... notice my struggle in the pic.  hahaha

2009-04-17 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Adam - are you a Buckeye fan?

What age group are you in?

IMLP is awesome...
2009-04-17 8:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Yes I love the choke-eyes, i mean buckeyes.

according to the way age groups are laid out I'll still compete in the 30-34 AG, but i'm 33 until october.
2009-04-17 8:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I was supposed to go for a short run today after work but I decied to skip it as I have a busy weekend of training ahead of me.

Tomorrow I have my first outdoor triathlon group ride of the year. It will also be my first ride outside of the year. WOHOO - yeah for nice weather. I think it will still be cool out, but hopefully the wind won't be too bad.

Then on sunday my running club is putting on a duathlon - 5km - 25km and 5km. It will be my first ever duathlon plus this distance is longer than the sprint I did last year. Although it is not timed, or an official race, it is still a race nevertheless. Although it is going to be sunny on sunday it is also going to be in the single digits (celsius) - cold to ride in. Atleast I can look forward to a potluck meal/snack after the race.

Now the best part of the weekend, I am going back to toronto after the duathlon to buy a wetsuit. Hopefully this time I won't come home empty handed.

What is everyone's schedule for the weekend? Is mother nature being kind to you?

And for those who don't know I belong to two groups - a triathlon group and a running group.

2009-04-17 9:30 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Drove up to Chattanooga last night anf got a good 5.5 mile run in this morning.  Beautiful weather and nice run along the Chattanooga Riverwalk. Also did an easy bike ride with my daughter-not much training value but it was alot of fun. My son, 9th grade, goes to boarding school in Chattanooga (McCallie) so we are there visiting every few weeks. He is there for academic opportunities-we didnt ship him off to get rid of him Chattanooga has a beautiful downtown area if you have never been-also lots of good places to run/bike.  He had a track meet this afternoon and this was my only chance to see him run this Spring.  Ran 4:45 mile which is pretty good for 9th grader/freshman.

Headed back home (Fairhope, Alabama) tomorrow.  Hope to get in a long ride and maybe a swim on Sunday if weather allows.   Missing my Saturday swim tomorrow due to travel. 

Next big thing on the horizon for me is a Total Immersion swimmiing weekend clinic in early May.  Hoping it will be a means to improve my weak swimming skills.  Anyone ever done one or have any experience with TI?

Hope everyone gets to be outside training under blue skies!

Randy 

2009-04-18 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

I did an 8 mile lunch time run yesterday and am planning a two hour or so bike ride today, because, YES, Mother Nature is being very kind to me - supposed to be a high of 77 today!  I'll take Sunday as my rest day.  Gotta be in front of the tube to pull for my Flyers.  Hopefully they'll start to turn it around.  If not, go Phillies!

As far as TI goes, I have the book and DVD, but never did a clinic.  I think the most helpfull thing that I was able to take a way is that the balance drills have really helped make me more comfortable in the water.  I still have a long way to go, but I'm making progress.  I also just ordered a wetsuit online and am counting the days until it gets here. 

Train hard and be safe everyone!

Matt

2009-04-18 10:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
I got in a hour ride yesterday, friday, only to finish the ride with a flat.   New trek equanox and already have a flat 35 miles in.  Got it fixed this morning and planning to get out for an 5k run this morning.  Finally nice up here in northeast ohio.  sunny and 70 degress, by monday back in the forties.

gotta love it.
2009-04-18 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I just got back from a 2h ride. I can finally put in mileage with my cycle time. WOHOO. In about an hour I am meeting up with a friend to do a small ride. Loving the nice weather today.

My leg muscles are already tired. The will probably be yelling at me tomorrow during the duathlon.
2009-04-18 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2093102

User image

Veteran
mellymedic - 2009-04-17 9:13 PM

I was supposed to go for a short run today after work but I decied to skip it as I have a busy weekend of training ahead of me.

Tomorrow I have my first outdoor triathlon group ride of the year. It will also be my first ride outside of the year. WOHOO - yeah for nice weather. I think it will still be cool out, but hopefully the wind won't be too bad.

Then on sunday my running club is putting on a duathlon - 5km - 25km and 5km. It will be my first ever duathlon plus this distance is longer than the sprint I did last year. Although it is not timed, or an official race, it is still a race nevertheless. Although it is going to be sunny on sunday it is also going to be in the single digits (celsius) - cold to ride in. Atleast I can look forward to a potluck meal/snack after the race.

Now the best part of the weekend, I am going back to toronto after the duathlon to buy a wetsuit. Hopefully this time I won't come home empty handed.

What is everyone's schedule for the weekend? Is mother nature being kind to you?

And for those who don't know I belong to two groups - a triathlon group and a running group.

You are the RACE QUEEN!

What kind of wetsuit are you leaning towards?

2009-04-18 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
I got in a 4.5 hour ride today on my new ride! Was the first "real" ride on it outside (I did a short z1 ride the other day on it). It FLIES - I'm in LOVE!
2009-04-18 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2094425

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Tamio - 2009-04-18 6:53 PM I got in a 4.5 hour ride today on my new ride! Was the first "real" ride on it outside (I did a short z1 ride the other day on it). It FLIES - I'm in LOVE!

Tami - I'll give you the well known expression, and then my interpretation of that expression...

A picture is worth a thousand words...

My interpretation:

Where's the picture of the new ride?????

Matt
2009-04-18 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

T- I also took queen B out today   Get it...queen B.....!!!

Very smooth, very slick, very silky.  sweeetttt!  Can not wait till I hit those downhills....

(FYI- Tammy and I both recently purchased the Felt B2...of course she special pre-ordered the 2009 model and I picked up the 2008 one on sale.....which is great cause it matches my road bike)))  T's bike is of course the new, ultra hip white with an adamo saddle.  One of the big reasons we both choose Felt over other time trail bikes is the "bayonet" steering system.  Basically, it offers better handling than the typical tri bike.  Plus, with Felt, you can get higher end components in their "stock" bike vs competitors (ie,it comes with Dura ace components and nice wheels.  The C brand has both as add-ons/upgrades).

Ok- gotta get to bed.  May have another ride tomorrow monring.....55 degrees and rainy.  Unless I can convince my training partner to just do the run

2009-04-18 10:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Ah....no adamo for this gal ;->

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=22591...

Here is a link to the pic...

2009-04-18 10:28 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Uhhh Tami...your bike might go a little faster with some cranks!
Sweet ride..enjoy it.

No training for me today but I am back in town and ready to go tomorrow.  Was hoping for a ride but with rain in the forecast and temps dropping 15-20 degrees, it will likely be a 9.5 mile run.

2009-04-19 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
You should be all the more impressed with my cycling given lack of cranks...lol.

Actually - I took pictures each step of the way - from the time the box arrived, took a picture, opened up the box, took a picture, took the bike out, took a picture, unwrapped the bike....blah blah blah....
2009-04-19 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
That is one beautiful bike. I'll be saving up over the next year for a ride like that prior to my IM attempt.

Quick question.  Are the bikes out there that cant be used on trainers, or trainers out there that damage bikes?  How do they effect the bikes?
2009-04-19 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
hhhhmmm - I don't know of any (bikes that shouldn't be used in trainers or trainers that would damage the bike). I would just be sure to use the skewer that comes with the trainer vs. the skewer that comes with the bike otherwise you could damage the bike skewer.
2009-04-19 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

I second Tammy's comment on the skewer.  The one other thing you will want to think about is getting a tire just for the trainer.   By it's nature, the trainer will burn through your good tire.  So you have 3 choices (in order of expense)

1) Just get a cheap tire for $10-20 bucks and switch it on/off depending if riding inside or out.

2) Buy a special "trainer" tire.  Usually orange, these tires are specially made to withstand the "burning" of the trainer.

3) Buy a cheap tire, tube, and wheel set...so you do a fast switch between your "outside wheel" and "indoor wheel".  This is my lazy man (me) option!  I got the tire, tube, and wheel set for around $175.  More coin than options 1&2, but with Chicago's unpredicatable weather, it is easier/faster for me to switch the wheel set than change the tire (and worry about pinching the tube resulting in a nice flat.  That being said, it is good practice for race day!!)

My friend went option 1 and it works just fine.  She calls me over (usually about this time of year) to swap her tires out.  That's the extent of my tire changing practice

Here's a thought on your IM bike....cause that is actually why I decided to get the TT bike this year (IMOO '10).  Find out if the course is better suited for TT or Roadie.  Then find out which you are most comfortable in....for 6 hours!  If you can not hold the aero position for 75% of the time, you lose the advantage (according to multiple publications).  Take away--if your current rig works and you can ride for hours...don't switch just for an IM!

2009-04-19 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
I just recently purchaced a trek equinox 7, didnt think my walmart bought mountain bike was going to do the trick.  I figure with my new bike i can spend a lot of time working my body into shape to handle what is required to get the most out of a tt/ tri specific bike.

2009-04-19 3:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Oh, and the lazy man way sounds pretty good to me.  being on the lake (erie) just west of cleveland, i can attest to how our weather tends to be.

70 yesterday, 48  today.
2009-04-19 5:47 PM
in reply to: #2095575

User image

Regular
Saratoga Springs, NY
abrezo - 2009-04-19 4:51 PM Oh, and the lazy man way sounds pretty good to me.  being on the lake (erie) just west of cleveland, i can attest to how our weather tends to be.

70 yesterday, 48  today.

I went this route just recently as well and I think it is well worth the investment.  I've had enough flats that I'm pretty skilled with removing tires but I'd lose about 10 minutes switching out just a tire every time I wanted to go between the trainer and the road.  I put together a full rear wheel (tube, cassette, rim tape and wheel) from Nashbar for around 120.00 shipped.

It isn't the best cassette of course but it is fine for the trainer.   
2009-04-20 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
hey everyone

Well I did my first duathlon yesterday. 5km - 25km and 5km. I was just under 2:07 for my time. My goal was to technically just finish butI have to push myself. There were only about 15-20 of us doing the race as it was a club race not open to the public. And some of our members were in boston running the marathon.

The cycle was an out and back route and as soon as I turned around - woosh the wind was in your face. I knew that was going to happen but I didn't think I'd feel it that much. The 2nd run also felt very hard. I felt my pace was a lot slower than the first run - plus the 2nd time I needed some walk breaks.

Next time I do a race I'll make sure that I don't do any big workouts the day before like I did this weekend. I couldn't resist the nice weather.

I almost bought a wetsuit yesterday. It was a great price, material felt nice, the look was nice however it didn't feel right. I am going today after work (assuming I don't have to stay late) and going to purchase the wetsuit that I tried on last week. I am excited about that.
2009-04-20 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
What brand did you decide to go with Mel?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tamio's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  

of 16