BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-04-21 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2099826

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - Open
Thanks Barb   I can't wait for it to stay warm either!  I'm definitely planning for an outdoor run on Thursday evening and a long bike ride Saturday...  I'm tired of the cold wet-ness we've been seeing, too!

RunningJayhawk - 2009-04-21 11:08 AM  I've found that yoga is a secret weapon for me when I've had a series of awful training days. It always seems to clear my head and bring me back down to my "roots" so to speak. Do you practice at a studio or on your own?
Same here.  I can usually tell that I haven't been to yoga enough when I get cranky, irritable, and my other workouts suffer.  It's my cure for everything!  I usually practice at my gym since my favorite instructor there is teh awesome!  But I do go to studios once in a while, since sometimes friends want to do yoga with me and don't have access to my gym.

RunningJayhawk - 2009-04-21 11:08 AM  I'm really excited that you're doing Galena. I did it last year and loved it (bummed that we can't do it this year because of my brother in law's college graduation). I will say one thing about this course...it will make every other bike course you do this year feel like a piece of cake. Definitely get some climbing in between now and then if you can...I have a map for a 25 mile hilly loop in Barrington if you'd like for me to email it to you. Also, are you planning on using a wetsuit (it's a cold water swim if you weren't aware)? Some folks do the race without a wetsuit, but it definitely helps with comfort in the water. And of course, if you have any specific questions about the course, let me know.
I actually wasn't originally planning on doing Galena, but I was feeling really antsy about my training.  I decided to sign up about three days ago because I felt like I needed an extra kick of motivation (I'd been slacking since doing my indoor tri).  I've been warned about the hilliness of the course & the coldness of the water, so I'm actually on the fence whether it's a good choice for my very first tri. . . But now that I've committed, I'll have to get training to be ready in 4 weeks!  

I'd love to see your Barrington map!  My parents live near there, and there really aren't any hilly places to practice in the city.  I'm planning on buying a wetsuit, since I'd most likely be able to use it at least 3 times this year.  I'm still trying to figure out how to go about finding the right kind to get.

RunningJayhawk - 2009-04-21 11:08 AM  What's holding you back from trying the Olympic at Bigfoot? It could be fun to use both big foot and chicago as a benchmark for progress over the summer since they're nearly 8 weeks apart!
I'm not sure.  Scared-ness?  Haha.  My original plan was to do the Bigfoot Sprint and the Chicago Olympic.  But now that I'm doing Galena, I'll most likely do the Bigfoot Olympic as well.

2009-04-21 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2099997

User image

Expert
Chicago
Welcome welcome welcome, Tif!!

First and foremost, congratulations on making a commitment to change. You've got some great goals and I'm excited to have you aboard and help you get focused on finding the finish line of both your first triathlon and marathon! I think you'll find that triathlon and distance running are right up your ally with the active background you've led.

What are your thoughts leading into your first tri next month? Are you feeling physically and mentally prepared for the race?

It's fantastic that you've got a partner in crime going through the same experience with you. Days where I want to stay curled up in bed my husband can motivate me to get moving...and vice versa. Plus it's awesome when you're both out on the same course and see each other for an extra boost of motivation. AND you'll have a total blast at the couples tri...my friend AJ did it last year and raved about it!!

As far as your current plan goes, you may want to stick with it until the first race just to avoid injury. The BT bridge plan will definitely help ramp up the mileage for your Olympic later this year. When do you think you'll start looking at training for a marathon?

You've got a really positive outlook on the upcoming season and I have no doubt that you'll shine in your races.
2009-04-21 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2099998

User image

Expert
Chicago
Howdy, howdy Nik! Glad to have you along!

I think you'll find that triathlon is a great way to get back into the "competitive" world. The sport truly is a lot of fun and the well-rounded approach to training is really good for the body in a physical sense. And like I mentioned to Tif, being in the sport with someone you're close with makes it that much easier to get up and moving.

And congrats on the swim improvements! Did you find the improvements came as you followed your plan or did you work with someone (Tif perhaps?) to help correct form to shave off time?

How are you liking the current plan that you're on? Do you fee like it's prepared you adequately for your triathlon debut?!

I have to admit I am really impressed with the weight loss for both of you so far. It just goes to show that with focus, a positive attitude and hard work you can live a healthy lifestyle. I'm sure that the races on your calendar this year will help keep you motivated in the months to come!
2009-04-21 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2100055

User image

Austin, Texas
The half I'm training for is the Iron Horse Half Marathon in Simsbury, CT on 5/31, a relatively flat course about 90 minutes from home.  I just did my first 14-mile run last weekend on a hilly route, so I'm feeling more and more ready.  I've got one more 13-miler scheduled and then I'll start tapering for the half. 

The tri that I'm signed up for is the All Women's Triathlon in Fairview, OR on 8/1.  The bike I have is a hybrid that I got about 10 years ago, nothing special and not worth bringing across the country.  So I plan to rent/borrow a bike in Portland.  There's also a sprint tri the week before near me that I'm interested in.  I know several people who are doing it.  I kind of want to do it for the fun of it and as a practice round for the one in OR.  Is that crazy to do two in a row?

Even though I haven't officially started training for my tri, I am starting to go to the pool once a week for 30 minutes.  I haven't done any lap swimming for 7 years, and then mostly did the breast stroke.  I'm reading Total Immersion and thinking about following the drills from the book.  And then as I get closer to August, I'll definitely try out a couple open water swims.  I think the water for the tri is generally around the mid-70s in August.  So I'll be fine.   Mostly I'm just a big baby when it comes to getting in the water.  I just have to remember that back when I lived in Austin, I would swim in Barton Creek during lunch, and that was 68 deg, and I lived.

My bike has cages, so I'll stick with those since that's what I'm used to.  Yep, I've got to learn to change a flat.  And practicing it more than once is a good idea so that I'll be comfortable doing it during a race and won't freak out (as much).

I prefer to get my runs in in the morning before work, because I haven't had the best luck getting them in after work.  Having my training plan set up ahead of time has been super helpful.  I focus on one week at a time.  If I skip a run, I reschule it for sometime later in the day or week and try to stick to my weekly goal.  And I've made my speed days and long runs non-negotiable.  I don't put those off.

I've been logging my training in other places, but will start logging them on BT too.  I skipped my run this morning (I think I came up with 10 excuses why I should skip it, none of them strong reasons) but will try to get it done on the treadmill this afternoon while the kids are doing their homework.
2009-04-21 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2100097

User image

Austin, Texas
Yoga as a secret weapon, I'm definitely discovering this.  I've never really enjoyed yoga so much, but lately I've been doing the YOGAmazing yoga for runners episode and loving it.  Saturday after my 14-mile run I was really good about eating right after the run and then did 20 minutes of yoga.  The next day, I wasn't sore from the run at all.  It was awesome.  They have a yoga for cyclists too that I'll start doing once I actually get on my bike.  Pumped up the tires on Sunday and found my seat, so I'm getting closer.

Edited by DenaRae 2009-04-21 1:26 PM
2009-04-21 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2100097

User image

Expert
Chicago
Missy - Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the map and cue sheet we typically use when we ride in Barrington. I'm not sure when we'll be headed out there next but I'll let you know in case you'd like to join us.

I know you're a little apprehensive, but Galena really is a great pick for your first tri. It's extremely well organized and everyone is so friendly. Plus the course is beautiful, albeit it hilly and sometimes windy. But like I mentioned before...it will honestly make all of your other courses seem ridiculously easy for the rest of the year.

As far as finding a wetsuit goes, research and trying them on is the best way to go about it. Running Away on North Ave. typically has a good selection of suits. And I know that Fleet Feet on North and Wells had a bunch earlier this spring. If anything...go and just try them on (even if you decide not to buy one that day). They'll fit really snug when you put them on while on dry land. But don't worry, once you're in the water it loosens up.

If you want to read about my first experience trying on a wetsuit, just go here (it's the entry at the top titled "Traumatized"): http://www.runningjayhawk.com/2007_12_01_archive.html

In the end, I actually ended up winning a full-sleeved wetsuit from ProMotion through a BT raffle last year and I've been extremely pleased with the result. It's actually a bit big on me now, so I'll probably be looking to get the same kind in the next size down for this year. ProMotion offers a great product at an affordable price compared to other similar wetsuits (with a BT discount, to boot). My husband bought his sleeveless Zoot wetsuit from Running Away and has been really pleased with it the past 2 seasons.

If you're not 100% sure what kind to get you can always rent one for Galena and then purchase one to own later.

I'm glad to see you're leaning toward the big foot olympic ...you'll be able to rock the distance!

Edited by RunningJayhawk 2009-04-21 1:23 PM

2009-04-21 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2100157

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the warm welcome, Barb.

I'm definitely getting anxious for the first tri. It's a combination of anticipation and a little bit of nerves...hard to believe it's less than 3 weeks out. The time has gone by fast, but overall I feel ready. I think the nerves are more because of not knowing what to expect and going through it for the first time.

I am sticking to the training plan for the most part. I've added some bike/run bricks just to acclimate to the feel of coming off the bike to run. Oddly enough, I feel like the run is my weakest area. I've always had a sprinter's mentality...so I have to recondition myself to think and pace differently in an endurance setting.

My goal is the Houston Marathon on Jan. 17. If I do a 20 week plan, then my training would start Aug. 30 (about a week after the Oly)...which would work out with my schedule. I wouldn't be able to do any tris in the fall, so I could focus solely on training for the mary.

And yes, it is golden to have a supportive and participating other half. Just another level of accountability - plus it's so much fun to share the experiences!

Looking forward to being part of your group!

2009-04-21 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2100219

User image

Expert
Chicago
Dena - glad to hear you're feeling ready for the half mary next month (I can't believe we're almost in May!!). Keep up the great work with your long runs and enjoy the taper period.

How early will you be arriving in Portland? Definitely be sure to get some time in on the new bike that you're using on site before race day. And since you're currently riding with cages, you'll want to make sure the bike you're using has cages as well (or you could just bring your pedals with you, too). I think that as long as you're taking it easy during the sprint the week before you'll be fine for the race in Portland. Just treat it as a glorified training day! Definitely not crazy. At the Chicago tri you can do what they call the triple crown...on Saturday you race the super sprint and then on Sunday you race both the sprint and olympic distances. So that's 3 tris in 2 days. I've done 2 tris in back to back weekends and I was fine by taking it easy on my first one.

Total Immersion is a really solid program and I've found that the drills have helped me with my swim technique and performance. I have a dvd of the drills if you'd like to borrow it sometime. Just let me know.

Cold water can definitely be discouraging, but you've got the right attitude with it. Forcing yourself to get in and get used to the temps will be beneficial for race day. Last year's Spirit of Racine Half...the water a between 53-55 degrees. I had the fastest swim to date...hahaa...I went numb about 500 yards in and just pushed it so hard so I could get back on dry land!! I'm not sure I'll ever see another 1:40 per 100yd pace in open water!!

Overall it sounds like you've got a great grasp on your training so far. I can't wait to see your logs fill up here on BT!!
2009-04-21 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2100309

User image

Expert
Chicago
roadrhino - 2009-04-21 1:24 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, Barb.

I'm definitely getting anxious for the first tri. It's a combination of anticipation and a little bit of nerves...hard to believe it's less than 3 weeks out. The time has gone by fast, but overall I feel ready. I think the nerves are more because of not knowing what to expect and going through it for the first time.

I am sticking to the training plan for the most part. I've added some bike/run bricks just to acclimate to the feel of coming off the bike to run. Oddly enough, I feel like the run is my weakest area. I've always had a sprinter's mentality...so I have to recondition myself to think and pace differently in an endurance setting.

My goal is the Houston Marathon on Jan. 17. If I do a 20 week plan, then my training would start Aug. 30 (about a week after the Oly)...which would work out with my schedule. I wouldn't be able to do any tris in the fall, so I could focus solely on training for the mary.

And yes, it is golden to have a supportive and participating other half. Just another level of accountability - plus it's so much fun to share the experiences!

Looking forward to being part of your group!

Pre-race jitters are totally normal. I find that once my swim wave takes off I am totally fine. For me, it's all a mental game before the race. Remember that your first tri is a benchmark for future races. You'll make some mistakes, and that's okay. Just learn from them and apply those learning to the next race.

Bricks are definitely important, even if it's a short 15-20 minute transition run after a bike ride. Just focus on pacing yourself during the run. With a 5k (well any road race, really) I try and break the race up into 3 parts...Mile 1 I'll hold back going a little bit easier than what I think is comfortable. If I'm feeling good, I'll run mile 2 at where I feel I should be running...the normal standard race pace. And if I'm still feeling good after 2 miles that final 1.1 miles is where I'll push myself and empty the tank out on the course. Once marathon training picks up for you, you'll definitely want to focus on pacing yourself so you can sustain your energy for the duration of a long run.
2009-04-21 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2081113

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

Still open?  I'd love to join this group.  If yes, I'll send a profile in a bit.  Right now I'm out the door to drop my son off at preschool and then ride.  In the mean time feel free to check out my blog.

Lara

2009-04-21 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2100552

User image

Expert
Chicago
lghays - 2009-04-21 2:23 PM

Still open?  I'd love to join this group.  If yes, I'll send a profile in a bit.  Right now I'm out the door to drop my son off at preschool and then ride.  In the mean time feel free to check out my blog.

Lara

Welcome Lara!! Looking forward to getting to know you.

2009-04-21 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2099851

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
RunningJayhawk - 2009-04-21 11:14 AM

Well I'm sure you're going to love the Chicago Tri...and what a great experience doing the race with one of your friends! I've found that support while training is critical to keeping me focused, so it's wonderful you've got someone in your everyday life to help push you along.

As far as the plan goes, it makes perfect sense, Margot. The plans here on BT are proven to work and have brought race day success to countless people. Definitely take it easy until your hip is back up and running without pain. We don't want you pushing it too hard too soon!! Listening to your body is key. What else have you been doing to help it heal?

I've been icing and was taking prescription strength ibuprofen on doc's orders during the first 2 weeks of my 3 weeks off. I actually just swam 1,000 meters during my lunch break and it felt good! Still a little stiff but the pain is slowly going away.
2009-04-21 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2099947

User image

New user
Sandusky
My first question! The triathlon I am planning to do in September is a 250 meter swim, 7 mile bike and 2 mile run..do you recommend completing a regular sprint distance training program? I would be training for more than I would do on race day, but I think that can only benefit me in the end.  I wasn't sure, because there isn't a training program for those specific distances.  The traithlon is women's only and they said it's perfect for beginners because it is a little less than a standard sprint distance. 

Also, thank you so much for the encouragement and the advice! I would have never thought to volunteer at a triathlon to see how things go. Thank you!

Erin
2009-04-21 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2100747

User image

Expert
Chicago
calimavs - 2009-04-21 3:21 PM
I've been icing and was taking prescription strength ibuprofen on doc's orders during the first 2 weeks of my 3 weeks off. I actually just swam 1,000 meters during my lunch break and it felt good! Still a little stiff but the pain is slowly going away.

I'm glad to hear the swim went well!
2009-04-21 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2100290

User image

Expert
Thanks Barb!!  I just sent you a pm with my email address (I think I did it right.  Let me know if you didn't get it). 

I'm actually getting excited about Galena.  It should be fun, and it'll be nice to get out of the city and enjoy the outdoors for a weekend!  Hopefully my leg muscles won't be too shocked, since most of my outdoor running & cycling are flat ;-)

I'll definitely check out Fleet Feet & Running Away for wetsuits.  I'll go shopping this weekend so that if I decide to buy one, I have a few weeks to practice swimming in it.

And as for Bigfoot, I guess I do have 10 weeks to train for the Olympic distance, so there's not really any real reason for me not to go for it!  For some reason it makes me nervous, but I do have plenty of time to prepare.
2009-04-21 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2100755

User image

Expert
Chicago
erin.kelsey - 2009-04-21 3:23 PM

My first question! The triathlon I am planning to do in September is a 250 meter swim, 7 mile bike and 2 mile run..do you recommend completing a regular sprint distance training program? I would be training for more than I would do on race day, but I think that can only benefit me in the end.  I wasn't sure, because there isn't a training program for those specific distances.  The traithlon is women's only and they said it's perfect for beginners because it is a little less than a standard sprint distance. 

Also, thank you so much for the encouragement and the advice! I would have never thought to volunteer at a triathlon to see how things go. Thank you!

Erin

I definitely think the sprint distance training program would be the way to go. It's basic enough to ease you into the sport without feeling overwhelmed and it'll give you the confidence that you can go the distance on race day!

Edited by RunningJayhawk 2009-04-21 3:34 PM

2009-04-21 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2100787

User image

Expert
Chicago
yogachic - 2009-04-21 3:32 PM

Thanks Barb!!  I just sent you a pm with my email address (I think I did it right.  Let me know if you didn't get it). 

I'm actually getting excited about Galena.  It should be fun, and it'll be nice to get out of the city and enjoy the outdoors for a weekend!  Hopefully my leg muscles won't be too shocked, since most of my outdoor running & cycling are flat ;-)

I'll definitely check out Fleet Feet & Running Away for wetsuits.  I'll go shopping this weekend so that if I decide to buy one, I have a few weeks to practice swimming in it.

And as for Bigfoot, I guess I do have 10 weeks to train for the Olympic distance, so there's not really any real reason for me not to go for it!  For some reason it makes me nervous, but I do have plenty of time to prepare.

Thanks, girl. I got it! I've just got to find the map in my email now! It may be on my home computer, so stay tuned.

Did you see that there's a Galena-Triathlon thread in the Illinois forum? You may want to check that out as well.
2009-04-21 5:01 PM

Veteran
Hi,
I am using the BT program swim focused. I did run focus before because that was my weaker point but lost some motivation. With the swim focus I look forward to training more. I am just starting training slowly after a 5 1/2 month pause. The sprint tri probably will be the only one I do this year since I stopped for awhile and just getting back into training.

When you don't like the weather in Chicago... Just wait a week, it will change.
2009-04-21 5:27 PM
in reply to: #2101047

User image

Expert
Chicago
JeanetteJ. - 2009-04-21 5:01 PM

Hi,
I am using the BT program swim focused. I did run focus before because that was my weaker point but lost some motivation. With the swim focus I look forward to training more. I am just starting training slowly after a 5 1/2 month pause. The sprint tri probably will be the only one I do this year since I stopped for awhile and just getting back into training.

When you don't like the weather in Chicago... Just wait a week, it will change.

Nothing wrong with taking it one race at a time. For me, I find that if I don't like the plan, I'm not likely to stick with it. So it's a great thing that you look forward to a swim-focused program! Just make sure you're getting all three disciplines in the mix and things will fall into place.

Oh and I hear ya on that last part. We're supposed to be going to the Cubs game tonight, but it looks like there's a big cell coming through...not sure I really want to deal with going and having five hundred rain delays. Plus the wind chill is in the 30's today. I am *so* over winter.
2009-04-21 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2099917

Thank you for I didn't realize you could do any type of swimming style in the race-told you I was new at this.  There is a class out here in Los Angeles that offers open water swimming.  I am going to take it at the end of May to help me with my fear of drowning. 

My experience with Team in Training unfortunately hasn't been the greatest.  I really like the support and encouragement that Team in Training offers but I have been told by my doctor, another coach, and massage therapist that most of my injuries are directly related to too much of a % increase in training.  We have been increasing our mileage 2 miles every week and doing a lot of hill running and repeats.  The hills are the worst on my legs.  The pain is very debilitating and I am able to run less and less mileage every time I run before my knee starts hurting again. 

I did have a representative at the running store look at my running shoes to make sure they were the correct shoes and I use a foam roller, ice, and anti-inflammatories regularly.  Right now my coach is trying to move me to the next season so I can have more time to let my legs heal before the race for that season which happens to be the Long Beach 1/2 marathon.  I am taking a break from running for the next 3 weeks and will be working on my swimming, stretching, and strength training for weakened muscles that are causing instability during exercise.  Any other suggestions for me to try to alleviate this pain?   

The triathlon I am participating in is not part of Team in Training.  It is a local one that actually has the swim in a lake instead of the ocean (which is incredibly cold). 

Thank you for all of the information you have shared.

Jennifer

2009-04-21 10:41 PM

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

So I finally have some time to introduce myself.

Name: lghays/Lara

Story: I'm 41 and decided last year that I needed to get off my a** and do something productive. I'd thought about doing triathlons for a couple of years but things in my life kept changing and the time was never right. We've had a rough couple of years with family losses and I hoped that exercise with some goals would help me feel better. I think it's worked, emotionally I feel better and more stable.

I've been fairly active my whole life track & cycling in high school, swimming in college (not competitive), hiking, backpacking, rock climbing, rowing, etc. But not very athletic or fit as an adult.

I view myself as the turtle, not fast but I will finish the race. I'm a Type B personality, laid back and doesn't get worked up over things. I love living in a small town that allows me to enjoy life. By the way, I live in the part of Washington state where the apples and cherries come from. I can't wait until fruit season starts.

This year my goal is to finish an olympic length tri. After that I haven't decided, faster or longer?

Family Status: Married 10 yrs with one very active 4 yr old son.

Job: Currently a stay-at-home mom. Formerly a biotech research scientist for 12 yrs.

Current Training: Beginner Sprint, HR-based, 12 week training program. Although I rarely reach the time goals in the plan. I've found that I need 2 rest days a week to avoid symptoms of overtraining.

2008 races: Thanks & Giving Challenge 5k (37 min)

2009 races:

Completed: Wenatchee Valley Duathlon (3 mi run/17 mi ride/3 mi run) - Wasn't sure I was gonna finish that one but I did and wasn't last, only 3rd to last. Time 2:38

Upcoming: Issaquah Triathlon (sprint) on May 30, RnR Seattle half marathon on June 27, and the Grand Columbian Triathlon (olympic) on Sept. 19.

Weightloss: I haven't really tried to lose weight and have mostly maintained over the winter. Except for the few pounds I gained in the taper leading up to the duathlon last month but I've lost that. Lately I've been feeling like I'm struggling on the runs, kind of a lumbering feeling. So I've decided to return to my strategy that has worked for me in the past, diet logging. It is a bit of a hassle and I usually stick with it for a couple months, long enough to relearn portions and other good eating habits.

Challenges: Working training into our schedule. My husband is training for two 100 mile mountain bike races this summer and has an irregular work schedule. We do our best but some days I don't get as much done as I'd like.

I'm sure there's more I could say but can't think of it. I look forward to a great mentoring session with you all.

2009-04-22 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2101673

User image

Expert
Chicago
Welcome to the group, Lara!!

Sounds like you keep yourself busy between your everyday lifestyle, training and your family. Plus four is such a fun age, I'm sure he keeps you on your toes! And it's my hope that you'll find that with consistent training, you'll continue to feel balanced across the board.

A turtle is a great mentality to have. Go out there, have fun and get the job done. So often we can get caught up in our age group placement and what not, when really our race day should be about celebrating our fitness and the fact that we're able to go out and participate in such an awesome event.

I'm jealous that you get to live in a small town to be honest. Chicago is great and all, but at the end of the day I'm a small town girl at heart. I only wish I had locally grown fruit like you do!!

An oly. tri is a great goal to have this year. Definitely see how you feel before, during and after this season and then you can focus on a quarterman/HIM or if you should work to improve times on shorter distances. Or perhaps you think you'll be able to tackle both challenges!

And it sounds like you've found a solid plan for you. Two days of rest is fine (I find that I typically need 2 days as well). And don't stress about hitting your time goals each and every session. Just do the best you can. Training is about finding your limits...testing and pushing them...and then eventually finding you have a higher limit than before. Training = Growth not just physically, but mentally as well.

Your race calendar is looking good for the rest of the year. Are you feeling ready for the half mary? And great job finishing the duathlon!! Those are tricky little races to manage! I usually use up too much energy on the first run and slug along in the back half.

I know you said you've been struggling on your runs. Have you tried doing anything to mix it up to sort of "reboot" yourself? I find that when running becomes a chore I need to find a new path, a running partner, music, hills, speed workouts, etc. Making it different than just left, right, left, right really seems to help me.

And keeping a nutrition journal is sooo incredibly beneficial. I've done it in the past and should probably pick it back up.

Have you thought about training with your husband for the century rides he's got planned (assuming you've got either a child carrier for the bike or a babysitter on tap?). While you don't have to race with him, I find that getting as much time in the saddle is the ultimate way of improving bike times. Plus you'd be able to spend time together, and both fit your training in.
2009-04-22 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Gooooood morning, everyone!

I hope that this hump day finds you doing well. I just wanted to touch on a couple of quick points since we have a few folks new to BT in our group...

If you haven't taken the opportunity to explore everything that BT has to offer, you should definitely spend some time poking around the site. Not only do we have helpful articles and videos, but you can look up race reports from previous participants of your upcoming races to find out some things about your course, you can check on your local forums (grouped by state) to see what is going on in your area, you can join a monthly challenge in the "challenge forum" (May will be a boys versus girls swim challenge), find free training plans and even local cycling and running routes that others have logged. There really is a wealth of knowledge available to all of us here and you should definitely take advantage of them as you prepare for this season's races!

Logging your workouts on here is going to be a super important part of your training. To access your personal training log just click on the "Training Log" icon in the header. From there, you can add your daily workouts by scrolling down to your respective day and clicking "Training." You can also log everything from nutrition to your weight and how you slept that night if you wish. When you log your workouts (and subsequently make your log public), we as a group have the opportunity to follow what you're doing, cheer you on along the way through "Inspires" (essentially comments and feedback tied directly to your log) and you can track your progress through the week and watch how your volume changes on the way to race day. It's a very rewarding feeling at the end of the month to see how much you've accomplished!

So with that said...what does everyone have on the training calendar today?!

Today I'll be hitting the lakefront path afterwork for a run interval speed session and then some strength training!!
2009-04-22 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Hello Barb,I feel very lucky to have someone to share the tri experience with. I am not sure I would be crazy enough to do it on my own. Tif is a great motivator and keeps me in line and on track. We work well as a team and do a good job of holding each other accountable along the way. Also it makes it easier to do a workout even when you don't want to with the encouragement and push from her.My swim improved with the help of Tif and also just from getting in the pool and doing it. I am becoming more and more comfortable with that aspect of the sport. I have to admit the swimming is the most intimidating part for me. I am very excited about the first sprint that is coming up. I do like the trainning plan we have been using and I do feel prepared for the race. I am a little nervous because of the unknowns with this being the first ever tri. However, I have always felt if you were not a little nervous before the competition then there was something wrong with you. Tif and I have been working very hard and I am proud of all we have been able to accomplish and I am sure we are going to rock the race on May 10th.
2009-04-22 9:28 AM

Extreme Veteran
Good Morning, All.

Today is a well-deserved off day from training for me. I've done 9 workouts in the last 7 days. My legs were feeling it during last night's run and they're a little sore this morning. I forgot to ice after the run. Grrrrrr. I know better!

Will take advantage of the off day by going to the Astros-Dodgers game tonight. Laughing
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 26