BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Closed Again! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-04-25 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2099961

User image

durham, nc
Subject: RE: ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Open

Willing to take one more?

NAME:  Faydre / Lori

STORY:  Sort of fell into triathlons by accident last year. Before that I had run a bunch of 5k's.. some 10k's.. and a half marathon. Then I decided that since everyone thought it was a crazy thing to do.. I signed up for a trithlon for my birthday last year. I crossed the finish line and that was the beginning of my journey. Just finished my second triathlon last saturday. Going for a HIM this year. It may be crazy... but of course I can do it!

FAMILY STATUS:  Single.. with a very supportive boyfriend. 2 dogs and a pet snake.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just started the beginner RPE HIM training plan.. was thinking about repeating the first 2 months... to get me through the 8 weeks before the training plan should really start.. Not sure what else to do.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Washington Olympic August 1.. Beach 2 Battleship HIM Nov 7

2009 RACES:  My goal is to cross the finish line at b2b

WEIGHTLOSS:  I'd like to be at my goal weight.. but its not a huge difference and I try not to stress about it to much.. I would however like to be more toned.

2009-04-25 6:44 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Hey Janesready -- I was in your same spot a few months ago in terms of swimming.  I took one lesson, but I found the videos, articles, and swim workouts available here on BT more valuable.  Also, the video from triswimcoach is pretty good in my novice opinion.

Just finished my 48 hour work shift, so the last two days mainly focused on weight training and treadmill running (HR intervals).  Today, had a short 1 hour cycle and pretty fun firefighter, crossfit team challenge.

Sorry Mike, I still haven't set-up my training log yet! But, I've been working out.  Promise!

Tim
2009-04-25 6:48 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Anyone got good tips for breathing while swimming?  Any specific drills?  I mainly breathe bilaterally on every third stroke.  I do some drills were I alternate breathing every 3, 5, or 7th stroke.  But, I think I'm getting sloppy at times and letting my elbow drop while rotating causing me to not get a clean breath.

Any ideas?
2009-04-25 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2110321

User image

Modesto, California

brick94513 - 2009-04-25 4:48 PM Anyone got good tips for breathing while swimming?  Any specific drills?  I mainly breathe bilaterally on every third stroke.  I do some drills were I alternate breathing every 3, 5, or 7th stroke.  But, I think I'm getting sloppy at times and letting my elbow drop while rotating causing me to not get a clean breath.

Any ideas?

It is hard without looking at your stroke, I will guess though. On your weak side you may be lifting your head slightly or a bunch, messing up your breathing, this is fixable the more you you breath to both sides. For me I will use a pull bouy during these sets to keep my body balanced and legs up so that I am able to breath better, it should help you feel more comfortable and help speed up progress. Its not just about turning your head, its almost like learning how to swim again because it affects your rotation,arms,everything. Once you get better you will get stronger on that weaker side and more balanced overall, you will even get faster.

2009-04-25 7:47 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Welcome Lori!!! I hope all you had a great saturday! i got worked by very hardcore headwinds and lots of hills. . now it is beer:30!!
2009-04-25 7:49 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Stuart, where do you swim Masters?  I live out in Brentwood, so we are pretty close together.  Are you planning on swimming in any of the Pacific Masters events?

2009-04-26 1:18 AM

New user

Vienna/Austria/Europe
Hi Mike!

Is there still some space left for another triathlon beginner?

NAME: Andrea

STORY: I am an application developer and parttime student from Austria/Vienna (I wonder if there is someone else from Europe?). I started running about 10 years ago but I always trained without any goals or a certain training plan; I was running just for fun. There were also some periods of a few months where I did not run at all. Last year I read a book by Haruki Murakami "What I talk about when I talk about running" where he describes how he became a runner and a triathlete. After finishing the book my first thought was "I want to try that too". And so here I am constantly setting (small) steps to reach that goal.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Currently I am focused on running but I also try to include some swimming and biking sessions. Apart from that I do strength training two times per week. My greatest problem is that I do not exactly know how to train swimming and biking. I try to figure that out by reading books and articles about training principles. But I would appreciate a few practical tips.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I will do a sprint triathlon on May, 30th. I probably will participate in a halfmarathon in autumn.

WEIGHTLOSS: Weightloss would be a nice side-effect :-) Actually I would like to lose about 5-6 kg because I think running would become a bit easier.

My problem is that I never saw any or just very small improvements (or maybe I did not notice them?). So I hope to get some practical tips on how to improve my performance and how to set up a structured, proper trainings plan that fits into a busy life.

I am looking forward to being part of this group!
2009-04-26 2:56 AM
in reply to: #2110637

Hey Moccaauge!

Whats the chance... somebody else from Vienna in this Forum and in the same Group! I'm also Viennese. Do you train in a club or just to yourself or with friends?
If you want to know more about me just go back a page .

To the swim workouts I promised... could take a bit but Ill put some material, written and hopefully some pictures up asap. It's just that my apartment is a mess and the workouts are not exactly on top of any of the piles that are starting to form throughout my living room :D.

I'll be off to bike in an hour or so and will report this workout in my training log later today . Hope you guys all have a good sunday whether you are using it as a break day or to train hard!

Edited by Larelag 2009-04-26 2:58 AM
2009-04-26 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2110410

User image

durham, nc
Had a great weekend! Thanks! Except for a completely botched run yesterday. ((guess i'm just not used to the heat yet?.. poor excuse i know))  Now.. Off to do a swim/bike, before I get stuck on the couch! :D
2009-04-26 10:03 PM
in reply to: #2110413

User image

Modesto, California

brick94513 - 2009-04-25 5:49 PM Stuart, where do you swim Masters?  I live out in Brentwood, so we are pretty close together.  Are you planning on swimming in any of the Pacific Masters events?

I swim Modesto Area Aquatics(MAAC), I was just at the meet in Pleasanton. I will also be at Nationals in Clovis in two weeks, after that Im not sure because Ill start my training for Vineman, the last thing I need to do is overtrain, what about you?

2009-04-26 10:29 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: RE: ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - CLOSED!
Stuart, I've only been in the pool for a couple of months now.  The wierd thing is I grew up around the water (surfing, scuba, water skiing, wakeboarding), but feel so out of place in the pool.  All these years, I thought I knew how to swim.  Anyways, I swim mainly at the Brentwood community pool.  Also, I swim in Santa Cruz before work.  Unfortunately, I have not found an established Masters program near me.

I was looking at the Pacific Masters as it was recommended to me.  Thinking about trying to swim some of their open water swims at Del Valle.

Please, if you know of anything near me, let me know.

Tim

2009-04-26 10:35 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
I'm glad to see everyone trading info! this weekend has been very hectic for me, i will get back up to date tomorrow while i am 'working.'
2009-04-27 3:04 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

2300m swim workout today.  First time using intervals and golf.  The workout pretty much beat me down.  I'm getting better, just still feel so inefficient.  I feel like my hip rotation and glide is much improved, but my kick remains an uncoordinated, non-rhythmic afterthought.

2009-04-27 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2113613

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
brick94513 - 2009-04-27 1:04 PM

2300m swim workout today.  First time using intervals and golf.  The workout pretty much beat me down.  I'm getting better, just still feel so inefficient.  I feel like my hip rotation and glide is much improved, but my kick remains an uncoordinated, non-rhythmic afterthought.

Great job! that is a nice workout.  intervals will definitely work you, but it makes the distance and time go sooo much quicker then just swimming sets or swimming the whole distance at once. 
2009-04-28 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Stuart do you know if Shadow Cliffs in Pleasanton has a marked open water swim lane?  Someone passed this information to me the other day, but I can't find any info online.  Also, not sure about Del Valle, I was out there riding the hills and didn't see any signage for swimming.

I need to get in the open water!  I moved my first tri up to May 10.  Now the anxiety is starting to set in.
2009-04-28 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2115088

User image

Modesto, California

brick94513 - 2009-04-28 7:09 AM Stuart do you know if Shadow Cliffs in Pleasanton has a marked open water swim lane?  Someone passed this information to me the other day, but I can't find any info online.  Also, not sure about Del Valle, I was out there riding the hills and didn't see any signage for swimming.

I need to get in the open water!  I moved my first tri up to May 10.  Now the anxiety is starting to set in.

I don't, you may want to call them and ask, I swam there at a race one time, try to stay relaxed, the swim part goes by way to fast. http://www.ebparks.org/parks/shadow_cliffs

2009-04-28 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2110318

New user

HI brick94513!

That gives me alot more hope when reading about you and other that were in the same boat on swimming. SOrry for the late reply. This wkd, I got really sick and had to go to the ER. I get really bad allergies and it triggered my brochitis which sux because I've been an a hault on working out.... I feel so behind now....i was doing soooo good....and my 4th swimming lesson is tomorrow.....I hope i can make it......

So you only took one swim lesson? and just looked at the videos on this site?..I was looking on youtube for tips.....I'm going to check it out...Thanks!

hows your work outs going?

I need to get the log work out sheet too....

Happy Day 2 u
2009-04-28 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2109400

New user

Hi Mike!Smile

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for adding me as well!!!

This weekend I got really sick and recovering from my bronchitis...I  was telling brick94513 that I feel behind, but Im sure I'll get back in the swing.

I will add the log on sheet 2moro when i have more time.......

Thanks again!
2009-04-28 10:41 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
I hope you are feeling better janesready!  that sounds like a not-fun weekend  

It sounds like the swimming lessons are helping, which is great.  I think a lot of people started in the same boat - not being able to swim very well. . i only took one lesson, but i could use a few more
2009-04-28 11:45 PM
in reply to: #2117272

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

janesready - 2009-04-28 9:39 PM HI brick94513!

That gives me alot more hope when reading about you and other that were in the same boat on swimming. SOrry for the late reply. This wkd, I got really sick and had to go to the ER. I get really bad allergies and it triggered my brochitis which sux because I've been an a hault on working out.... I feel so behind now....i was doing soooo good....and my 4th swimming lesson is tomorrow.....I hope i can make it......

So you only took one swim lesson? and just looked at the videos on this site?..I was looking on youtube for tips.....I'm going to check it out...Thanks!

hows your work outs going?

Like I said earlier, I'm a complete newbie to the world of swimming.  Nevertheless, I think the workouts available on this site are great.  In a just a couple of months (swimming 3-4 times a week), I feel I have made a vast improvement.  If you haven't checked it out already, take a look at these workouts:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/index.asp?catid=156

Most of the drills are explained in other articles/videos.  Good luck!

2009-04-29 7:34 AM

User image

durham, nc
I have a swim workout today.. I also feel like I am not very good. Certainly not efficient. I have to go with a plan or i'll end up slacking and getting bored and leaving early and at almost $3 a swim I have no excuse not to do a full workout. On open water swims my swim time becomes almost a slugs pace. Something about the dark water, the other swimmers.. I can't get my head down.. I can't navigate..and I waste a lot of time. I also have a lot of issues with breathing while swimming.. I can't always get into a rhythm and if I focus too much on a drill or counting laps or something -- then I forget to breathe out while my head is underwater. Grr! Can't afford swim lessons.. but I read a lot and watch the video's and hopefully they are helping. Best of luck to all.

2009-04-29 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2117649

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
faydre - 2009-04-29 5:34 AM I have a swim workout today.. I also feel like I am not very good. Certainly not efficient. I have to go with a plan or i'll end up slacking and getting bored and leaving early and at almost $3 a swim I have no excuse not to do a full workout. On open water swims my swim time becomes almost a slugs pace. Something about the dark water, the other swimmers.. I can't get my head down.. I can't navigate..and I waste a lot of time. I also have a lot of issues with breathing while swimming.. I can't always get into a rhythm and if I focus too much on a drill or counting laps or something -- then I forget to breathe out while my head is underwater. Grr! Can't afford swim lessons.. but I read a lot and watch the video's and hopefully they are helping. Best of luck to all.

One thing that i practiced in order  to get my breathing down was holding the wall and kicking, and just focus on rotating my body and breathing.  this allowed me to focus on getting on the beat while i breath.  another way is counting strokes - and breathing every 3rd stroke.  I hear you on focusing on counting laps! it sure is hard to!  try going and just focus on swimming for 30 minutes (with rest between sets), and just focus on your breathing.  you have the right idea - it is very tough to swim until you get your breathing regulated.  As far as OWS - it also takes practice to be able to sight and not let your breathing get out of whack.  for races in OW - i tend to breath every 2 strokes (due to elevated HR), and i sight every 6 or so strokes. 

I'm sure some of the better swimmers will chime in too!
2009-04-29 10:44 PM
in reply to: #2118095

User image

Modesto, California

ultrahip_00 - 2009-04-29 8:00 AM
faydre - 2009-04-29 5:34 AM I have a swim workout today.. I also feel like I am not very good. Certainly not efficient. I have to go with a plan or i'll end up slacking and getting bored and leaving early and at almost $3 a swim I have no excuse not to do a full workout. On open water swims my swim time becomes almost a slugs pace. Something about the dark water, the other swimmers.. I can't get my head down.. I can't navigate..and I waste a lot of time. I also have a lot of issues with breathing while swimming.. I can't always get into a rhythm and if I focus too much on a drill or counting laps or something -- then I forget to breathe out while my head is underwater. Grr! Can't afford swim lessons.. but I read a lot and watch the video's and hopefully they are helping. Best of luck to all.

One thing that i practiced in order  to get my breathing down was holding the wall and kicking, and just focus on rotating my body and breathing.  this allowed me to focus on getting on the beat while i breath.  another way is counting strokes - and breathing every 3rd stroke.  I hear you on focusing on counting laps! it sure is hard to!  try going and just focus on swimming for 30 minutes (with rest between sets), and just focus on your breathing.  you have the right idea - it is very tough to swim until you get your breathing regulated.  As far as OWS - it also takes practice to be able to sight and not let your breathing get out of whack.  for races in OW - i tend to breath every 2 strokes (due to elevated HR), and i sight every 6 or so strokes. 

I'm sure some of the better swimmers will chime in too!

This is an awesome way to practice, very basic but very effective, use the wall for kicking also. Just remember when you drill, experiment with different speeds also, slow drill,fast drill, etc. My coach consistantly reminds me, 2 days a week to maintain fitness, 3 or four days to get better, 5 or more to get fast.

2009-04-29 11:00 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Wait, what?! i have to swim 5 days/week to get faster?!?! damn!! i guess i won't get faster for a while. . Tongue out  swimming is definitly my weakest of the 3 sports still!
2009-04-30 10:06 AM

User image

durham, nc
Yeah.. no way that I can do 5 days either! Guess if thats the way it goes I won't get faster at any of the sports! I'm definately doing 3 days a week though.. and my only requirement is finishing the HIM in November.. everything else is icing on the cake :D!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Closed Again! Rss Feed  

of 19