BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2009-12-15 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2559416

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Full...
billsorg - 2009-12-15 9:52 AM Hello all. Looking forward to getting to know you all as the 2010 tri season approaches. One of the things I hope to accomplish this year is to become more efficient at training. In my first 2 years of tri training, I've only put in distance and haven't done any speed work. No real "method to the madness" of my training. This year, I'd like to add swim drills to become a more efficient swimmer and speed drills on the run and bike to become faster. I completed my first HIM in September, but want to take a significant chunk of time off my 6:45 finishing time when I do the Syracuse Ironman 70.3 this September.

I highly recommend Jorge's bike challenge for winter bike intervals.  It gives you 3 quality workouts a week.  Lots of sweat, mentally challenging.

2009-12-15 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
10 sounds great!

Thanks for having me.  Looking forward to it.  I don't plan on starting a winter cycling trainer plan until mid -January.  Hopefully, my knee will allow me to resume running soon.  As for swimming, I have two more days to swim, then the pool will be closed until the beginning of the year.  So until then,  I guess it's yoga and weight training.

Edited by ray6foot7 2009-12-15 9:34 AM
2009-12-15 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
I'm trying to do Jorge's cycle program but I'm not very consistent since I don't have power or HRM. I just go RPE 'hard' for the allotted time then back off for the 'easy' segment. Still fun and a great workout...ok not the fun part...but a great workout ;-)

The weather's not too bad here so I try to go out at lunch and ride for a bit on MWF.

My first Olympic distance is in early March but with a tentative HIM later in the year, I'm just using the 20 week intermediate HIM as a rough guideline for training. It's a bit high in volume but I just do what I can and remind myself not to be all type 'A" about it.

Any suggestions are welcome.
2009-12-15 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Exciting to look through everyone's training so far. There are some great triathletes in this group who work hard! I look forward to working through this journey with everyone during the next few months!!!!
2009-12-15 11:59 AM

User image

NH
Hey Bob, can't wait to see your Oly results.  We'll still be digging out of the snow by then.

I do Jorge's workouts basically the same as you (just with RPE) since the HR trails too much on the shorter intervals.  I do use the HRM to be sure my warm up and cool downs are right as I tend to go too hard on those.  I wish I had a power meter too - if anyone has one lying around with no home I'd be a good parent to it!
2009-12-15 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Bob - I did the 20 week HIM program last year and it will definitely get you to the finish line. I was also not "religious" about the workouts, but it was a good guide. It was helpful for letting me know when I needed a high volume week and kept me on the right track. I'm going to use the same program this year as the Syracuse IM 70.3 race in September is my A-race.

And I agree with the previous post that his looks like a great group of triathletes! Let the PR's start to fall!!!

2009-12-15 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2559495

User image

Expert
WA

I highly recommend Jorge's bike challenge for winter bike intervals.  It gives you 3 quality workouts a week.  Lots of sweat, mentally challenging.

Thanks for the tip on the bike challenge, I will check it out.  I need something to get motivated on the bike.  I will have to use my wife's trainer, we just got 3 inches of snow!...so I won't be riding outside for a while.  LOL
2009-12-15 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2560324

User image

Annapolis
I just started the 20 week HIM program as well. Because of finals right now, staying religious is difficult. After Thursday, I'll be done and on Christmas Leave till January 8 in good ol' Tejas. I'm trying to convince a friend of mine on the cycling team to lend me his case so I can bring my bike down. I'm doing a sprint tri in march, and the start line is less than a mile from my house in Texas, so why not get a good feel of the course, right?

Anyway, I'm excited about working with all of you. I'm sure I'll learn a great deal from ya'll! 
2009-12-15 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2560065

User image

Expert
WA
  I wish I had a power meter too - if anyone has one lying around with no home I'd be a good parent to it!

I don't even know what a power meter is.  When I ride I usually only look at Cadence, trying to keep it at 90.
2009-12-15 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2560630

User image

NH
RunRene - 2009-12-15 4:17 PM
  I wish I had a power meter too - if anyone has one lying around with no home I'd be a good parent to it!

I don't even know what a power meter is.  When I ride I usually only look at Cadence, trying to keep it at 90.

Based on your running speeds, I don't want to give you any tips in case we're ever in the same race!  Just kidding - seeing a runner like you inspires me to keep at it.  I'm sure you've put in the work to get there.

A power meter is one of the endless toys for mucho $$$ in this sport!  It's a gadget that measures power output throughout the bike pedal stroke.  The idea is that 200 watts of output (or whatever amount) is 200 watts regardless of hills, wind, etc.  If you know your potential output, you can workout at specific watts and know how intensely you are actually working. 

And if you know through training that you can maintain x watts for y time, that helps keep you paced properly for long rides or races without worrying about terrain or other factors which can widely affect mph.
2009-12-15 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2560772

User image

Expert
WA

Based on your running speeds, I don't want to give you any tips in case we're ever in the same race!  Just kidding - seeing a runner like you inspires me to keep at it.  I'm sure you've put in the work to get there.

LOL!!

Thanks for the breakdown on the power meter.  Sounds like a cool tool to have.

The only gadgets I use for biking and running currently are the Garmin 305, the Cat Eye on the bike and mp3 player.  This last year I actually started using the heart rate monitor (HRM) that came with the Garmin for both bikes and runs.

I just started reviewing Jorges bike training (challenge) and it is like trying to read Egyptian or something.  I will go through the terminology etc to figure out what the work out is.  Right now I am just trying to build a good base.  I am also considering trying one of the BT training plans.

2009-12-15 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2559023

Hey everyone, the group looks great.  I'm excited that there's a lot of motivation and advising going on already...  Everyone seems like pretty seasoned at this...good deal. Anyone have advice for how a true beginner should proceed with winter training?  Right now my plan is to stay at the gym and continue conditioning before I make the move to an actual run outside.  My main question is what should I maintain to actually be prepared for my first tri?  (yards to swim, and miles to swim/run), Thanks.
2009-12-15 7:01 PM
in reply to: #2560982

User image

NH
lroyal0586 - 2009-12-15 7:51 PM Hey everyone, the group looks great.  I'm excited that there's a lot of motivation and advising going on already...  Everyone seems like pretty seasoned at this...good deal. Anyone have advice for how a true beginner should proceed with winter training?  Right now my plan is to stay at the gym and continue conditioning before I make the move to an actual run outside.  My main question is what should I maintain to actually be prepared for my first tri?  (yards to swim, and miles to swim/run), Thanks.

If you're new to the whole thing, including exercise in general, I'd say just be consistent at something.  The first key is to get out there and do it, whatever "it" is for you.  When is your first tri, and what distances?
2009-12-15 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!

so I gave Jorge's winter trainer plan a shot today. Started with week 1, workout 1. A good 40 minute trainer ride. When I got done, I went outside and realized I missed an opportunity to ride outside. I thought is was windier than it actually was, but oh well.  

I also flipped my stem today, which put me a little more forward and lower compared to the original setup - I've been riding the original setup for a year now and wanted to see how it would feel in this more aggresive position. I didn't ride aero much today, I stayed up on the hoods for the majority of the ride, which is reverse from what I normally do on a trainer ride.

So we'll see how this position goes. I wanted to do it now so I could ride 5 months and get used to it before the next tri.

2009-12-15 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2560996

My first race will be small in a suburb of Chicago.  That one is at the end of June, Swim: 875 yards Bike: 14 miles Run: 5 miles.  After that, I'm doing another race which will be similar in the beginning of August.  I figure I would start at smaller races and work my way to Chicago at the end of August.  That's the game plan on this end.  Thanks.

2009-12-15 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2560982

User image

Elite

lroyal0586 - 2009-12-15 7:51 PM Hey everyone, the group looks great.  I'm excited that there's a lot of motivation and advising going on already...  Everyone seems like pretty seasoned at this...good deal. Anyone have advice for how a true beginner should proceed with winter training?  Right now my plan is to stay at the gym and continue conditioning before I make the move to an actual run outside.  My main question is what should I maintain to actually be prepared for my first tri?  (yards to swim, and miles to swim/run), Thanks.

Consistency. Take you time and get miles in, how well can you swim? Swimming tends to be what must of us struggle with.  For running and cycling many times it just comes down to getting miles in. Getting in 2-3 runs and rides in each week. If you are brand new I would for now just run/bike/swim a few times a week to build consistency.

2009-12-15 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2560820

User image

Elite

RunRene - 2009-12-15 5:31 PM

LOL!!

Thanks for the breakdown on the power meter.  Sounds like a cool tool to have.

The only gadgets I use for biking and running currently are the Garmin 305, the Cat Eye on the bike and mp3 player.  This last year I actually started using the heart rate monitor (HRM) that came with the Garmin for both bikes and runs.

I just started reviewing Jorges bike training (challenge) and it is like trying to read Egyptian or something.  I will go through the terminology etc to figure out what the work out is.  Right now I am just trying to build a good base.  I am also considering trying one of the BT training plans.

Pretty good run down on what a power meter is. I love mine. So an example WU from Jorge's plan might read like this:

MS: Start with 5' @ 89% FT (5' @82% FT), Repeat 4 times increasing by 3% each time.

So for that you would do a warmup. Then go for 5minutes at 82% of your functional threshold (typically power/pace you can hold for 1hr). Then do 5min recovery at 82%. You next set woould be at 92%, then 95%, then 98%.

Another one is:MS: 2x5' @ 110-115% HR (2' rest), 30' @ 76% HR, CD

So again do a WU, then twice do 5min @ 110-115% of your FT with 2min of rest beteen each interval. Then do 30minutes at 76% of your FT (basically a moderate tempo ride). Followed by a CD maybe 10min easy riding.

So base does not mean easy. Its a time to increase your VO2max and power. More info from Joe Friel:

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/11/aerobic-base-ride.html

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/12/more-thoughts-on-base-period.html

2009-12-15 8:19 PM

User image

Elite

You can buy a functional HR monitor from Walmart for $20. Great tool to have. Just so everyone knows I can very rarely get on BT during the working day and will post mainly at night or in the morning.

2009-12-15 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2559172

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2009-12-15 7:47 AM I am happy with the number...we can keep it small and focused...anyone else participating in Jorge's Winter Cycling Challenge? I am currently on week 7 (on the trainer)...it's a great program - you could always start now if you are interested - go to the Challenge Me site and look for the thread.

I would be interested in something similar for running...but I know I need to build a base for running. How long do you build a running base before you can start working on intervals/pacing?

Jennifer

Just increase your frequency and volume for now. If you want to do a little bit of speed work you could do 50% of your long run at an easy pace, for me I would be around 150bpm, then you could do 20% at race pace+30s/mile then the rest back at an easy pace.

So for example I might do 4-5miles at 150bpm then 2mi at 175bpm or my HIM pace+30s, then 2mi back down at 150bpm. Last week has been busy for me and I have been slacking.

2009-12-15 11:40 PM
in reply to: #2561122

User image

Expert
WA
Aaron, Thanks for the info on Jorges plan and the links!  I am glad you mentioned about the "Its a time to increase your VO2max and power" because I didn't know that.  I actually thought it was a time to take it somewhat easy.  

Happy training everyone!  Smile
2009-12-16 5:47 AM
in reply to: #2561366

User image

Elite

RunRene - 2009-12-16 12:40 AM Aaron, Thanks for the info on Jorges plan and the links!  I am glad you mentioned about the "Its a time to increase your VO2max and power" because I didn't know that.  I actually thought it was a time to take it somewhat easy.  

Happy training everyone!  Smile

Take it easy as in decrease your volume maybe get some cross training in. It depends on your goals for next year and when you are racing. If you start racing early in the year it is not a good time to slack.

2009-12-16 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2561100

I swim pretty well; I've had two years experience on a swim team, so I'm used to laps, it's just a matter of getting back into the routine...  Once I knock the the consistency, I'll start aiming for longer distances and speed.  
2009-12-16 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2561637

User image

NH
lroyal0586 - 2009-12-16 8:49 AM I swim pretty well; I've had two years experience on a swim team, so I'm used to laps, it's just a matter of getting back into the routine...  Once I knock the the consistency, I'll start aiming for longer distances and speed.  

Coming from a swim background is great since as Aaron said most triathletes struggle in the water.  One thing I learned is that running right after the bike is very strange, so at some point (not early but once you've got some base) it's worth it to do a few bricks - run immediately after bike.  And another later on thing is to practice transitions - it can be hectic in there.  But I agree that for now just get consistent and get your body used to swim/bike/run.

Aaron, no problem on the night time replies.  We'll talk amongst ourselves and you can correct us when you get on!
2009-12-16 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
2009-12-16 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Good article...thanks!

So, if I've been "building my running base" for the last three months by running 10K MWF with a longer run on the weekend...when is it appropriate to stop base-building and start the periodization training?

I have also heard that in order to improve in a particular sport, you should do that sport more (want to run faster? run more, etc.)...but at this point, I'm training four times a week in each sport...which leaves me with no time to add additional sessions of any sport. How do you all handle this conundrum?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76