BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2009-12-14 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2556071

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: nevergivin's group (Closed)
Here is the group:
Matt237- Matt
PinkPrincess- V
Milkthecowbaby-Jon
bigr82-Ryan
Panther-Dave
norcal SAHD-David
metiii-Gene
ransick-Mike
ThePassionDiva-Lori

Welcome everyone! Please get to know each other!

Couple of things.........

All questions welcome regardless if posted on BT ever, keep strong opinions toned down, we all cant be right!
This is a great group, lets learn from each other! But please BOLD any questions so when threds get busy we dont miss any questions!

No politics, go to cup of Joe!

Logging workouts and inspiring is highly encouraged, it can be a serious lift on any bad day!

Lets get busy! First off any BT logistical questions regarding how to do stuff,logging,blogging,posting,etc?

Edited by nevergivin 2009-12-14 6:42 PM

2009-12-15 6:13 AM
in reply to: #2558171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Subject: RE: nevergivin's group
nevergivin - 2009-12-14 2:48 PM

Welcome V, sounds like you have a good plan! V sounds fast by the way. Where are you from? I see you log your workouts also, this is good! What style Martial Arts do you do?

LOL...well, I'm only fast on the run right now.  Once the local pool opens again (college pool and it's closed between semesters), I plan on taking more lessons so I can get under 2:30/100.   I also can't wait for spring so I can continue working on my nonexistent bike handling skills.

I've lived all over the Northeast - born in Connecticut, grew up in Vermont, but lived most my life in downtown Boston before moving up to Lake Placid.

I hold black belts in both Tae Kwon Do and Karate.
2009-12-15 6:15 AM
in reply to: #2558455

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
ThePassionDiva - 2009-12-14 4:50 PM I would like to join

STORY:  Turning 40 in 2010... time to get my act together   I am not an athlete, but someone told me that I couldn't do this... big mistake... big one  

HA!  That's the beset way to get me to do something too.  Just go ahead, tell me I can't do it.  (Especially since I'm 4'10" - tell me I'm too small to do something.  I dare you.)
2009-12-15 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2558694

User image

Master
St. Louis

nevergivin - 2009-12-14 6:33 PM Here is the group:
Matt237- Matt
PinkPrincess- V
Milkthecowbaby-Jon
bigr82-Ryan
Panther-Dave
norcal SAHD-David
metiii-Gene
ransick-Mike
ThePassionDiva-Lori

Welcome everyone! Please get to know each other!

A couple get to know each other questions.  How about everyon answer and add a question?

What do you like to do besides run, bike, and swim?
For me, it's watching NFL football, NHL Hockey, cooking, playing poker and drinking beer.

Biggest triathlon fears?
For me it is OWS, swimming in a crowd, biking in a crowd.

Mike

Edited by ransick 2009-12-15 7:08 AM
2009-12-15 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2559200

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
ransick - 2009-12-15 8:07 AM

For me, it's watching NFL football, NHL Hockey, cooking, playing poker and drinking beer.

Biggest triathlon fears?
For me it is OWS, swimming in a crowd, biking in a crowd.

Mike

LMAO!

Oh man, you and I are going to get along JUST FINE! Laughing

For me, it's watching NFL football, Cooking and drinking beer.  I'll add a mild internet addiction to that as well.  I'll also read just about anything I can get my hands on.

Biggest triathlon fears?
"For me it is OWS, swimming in a crowd, biking in a crowd."  I couldn't have said that better myself!

Dave

P.S. - I have one more thing to add.... I've chosen the "12 Week Couch-to-Sprint Plan based on RPE" to start January 4.  I'm going to slowly get up to speed between now and then I think.

Also, I have literally all the time in the world, so I'm open to be somebody's lab rat project when it comes to training, etc.

Edited by Panther 2009-12-15 8:22 AM
2009-12-15 8:45 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
I'm looking to get a wetsuit for spring.  Xterra has them on sale now so I'm thinking of going ahead with it.  Any suggestions on full vs. sleeveless?

2009-12-15 9:06 AM

Veteran
Racing dirtbikes is my big thing, also my wife and I have a wakeboard boat we try to use.  I always seem to find sports best suited for 5'5 120lbs guys

Biggest triathlon fears?
Everything at this moment, swimming in a crowd seems to be high on my list right now.

2009-12-15 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2559150

User image

kelowna
It is soo true, it is how I got through college TWICE and many other things.

I look forward to proving this person wrong!
2009-12-15 9:15 AM

Veteran

Mike, looks like there is a good handfull in springfeild, if your interested in something let me know.  I think this group as well as having someone near by will be a big help.

I'm looking at buying a new bike: (looks like we have the perfect mentor for this question)
Currently now only have a older gary fisher mtn bike, but wanted a roadie all year for cross training, for my mx racing. Now that i'm very interested in tri's, i've looked at a few tri bikes.  On my list are the Felt S32 tri, Felt F95 or F75 roadie, possibly a Gaint Defy(all brands my local tri shop has)  Have also looked at a used Schwinn Fastback with all ultegra and a Trek 2.3, also both of these would be a LBS.

Edited by bigr82 2009-12-15 9:18 AM
2009-12-15 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2559200

User image

kelowna
reading and writing, I am a sponge for personal development type books

Biggest triathlon fears?
getting hurt while training... if I can make it through 9 months of training, I will have no problem with the sprint

What is your biggest motivating factor?
my 40th birthday and my youngest kids graduation, the kids have only known me as a large woman... I want to be a better example of what you can accomplish if you set your mind to it.

2009-12-15 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2559390

User image

Modesto, California
ransick - 2009-12-15 6:45 AM I'm looking to get a wetsuit for spring.  Xterra has them on sale now so I'm thinking of going ahead with it.  Any suggestions on full vs. sleeveless?

Mike, I prefer the full sleve because Im a sally when it comes to getting cold, I can tolerate feet and face, thats all. When I swam Oceanside it was 68 degrees and I had a neoprene cap and full suit and I was fine. Short sleeve suit has three advantages, esier to get off,less resistance on your shoulders, less expensive. I can honestly say I have never been too hot in my wetsuit and its full sleved, I think because of that it gives me a better range of races to select from, I wouldnt have done Oceanside in s sleeveless. Keep in mind that xterra suits are almost always on sale, thats how they roll! Now is a good time to get a 2009 suit at many local or internet shops, fit and comfort is key. I will say that trying on 4-5 wetsuits is a serious workout, and to find a good fit may take 5-10 try's.

2009-12-15 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2559490

User image

Modesto, California
bigr82 - 2009-12-15 7:15 AM

Mike, looks like there is a good handfull in springfeild, if your interested in something let me know.  I think this group as well as having someone near by will be a big help.

I'm looking at buying a new bike: (looks like we have the perfect mentor for this question)
Currently now only have a older gary fisher mtn bike, but wanted a roadie all year for cross training, for my mx racing. Now that i'm very interested in tri's, i've looked at a few tri bikes.  On my list are the Felt S32 tri, Felt F95 or F75 roadie, possibly a Gaint Defy(all brands my local tri shop has)  Have also looked at a used Schwinn Fastback with all ultegra and a Trek 2.3, also both of these would be a LBS.

Ryan-going to Mtn bike to tri bike is a huge change and will take some break in time getting used to riding aero if you go tri bike, try to decide what your main goal is for the bike, strictly triathlon racing, or all round riding when trying to decide Tri bike or Road bike, if yor not sure thats ok too. First I would consider budget,  and try to get the best components based on that, meaning ultegra or above, that way if you get a road bike and decide to get a tri bike later, get a frame and swap components, no big deal. Regardless of what bike shops tell you there is not a huge difference in road bikes brands or  tri bike brands, get the one that fits and feels comfortable! I race against guys that ride steel, bamboo aluminum, crumby wheels and they are scary fast. If you get a decent bike with ok wheels,good price and great components I think you cant go wrong. Just make sure it fits you and your riding style.
2009-12-15 11:34 AM

Veteran
As of now, I will be riding by my self, so a tri bike would be ok(i know some groups wont allow you to ride one). The local shop that sells all the tri stuff also runs a summer long TT series, which is why they say a tri/tt bike could be worth the investment without doing a ton of tris. Ive been tring to decide for a month or so now. I'm sure a roadie would be a better investment, maybe put some areo bars on it, but cant make my mind up.
2009-12-15 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2559305

User image

Expert

My main life obsession is motorcycles, I currently own 7 (but only 2 run at the moment).  I rarely ride anymore, and haven't raced in years though. 

Biggest triathlon fears?
OWS, no doubt!  I've had two really scary moments in practice swims.  One was in the ocean, a few dolphins swam by us and it REALLY freaked me out.  The other was a murky lake where I just couldn't see at all in the water.  Like not even my hands.  I couldn't get comfortable, and never could get myself to put my head in the water.

2009-12-15 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2559577

User image

Expert
nevergivin - 2009-12-15 7:41 AM
ransick - 2009-12-15 6:45 AM I'm looking to get a wetsuit for spring.  Xterra has them on sale now so I'm thinking of going ahead with it.  Any suggestions on full vs. sleeveless?

Mike, I prefer the full sleve because Im a sally when it comes to getting cold, I can tolerate feet and face, thats all.

I'm in the market for a wetsuit also.  I haven't needed one yet, the one and only Tri I've done so far was in 70 degree water.  The race I want to do this coming March will be more like 50 degrees, so I'll definately need one for that!  I've been tempted by the Xterra suits, cause they are so inexpensive.  My thought is to get sleeveless since it seems like that would be a little more likely to fit!  Buying over the internet, and it being a low end suit, I figure eliminating the sleeves will make it easier to get one that is comfortable.  I'm not that worried about temperature, I still have planty of natural insulation. Sealed 
2009-12-15 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2559490

User image

Master
St. Louis
bigr82 - 2009-12-15 9:15 AM

Ryan,

I'm definitely interested.  I didn't see the Springfield dates on trifind.  Do you have the dates?  Are there any you have in mind?

I'm trying to get a couple dates on the calendar early so my wife can plan around them.

Mike 

2009-12-15 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2559530

User image

Master
St. Louis
ThePassionDiva - 2009-12-15 9:24 AM

What is your biggest motivating factor?
my 40th birthday and my youngest kids graduation, the kids have only known me as a large woman... I want to be a better example of what you can accomplish if you set your mind to it.

I'm not sure what my real motivation is.  Right now I think it is the challenge.  My wife thinks it's part of my mid life crisis.  First part was buying a nice car a couple years ago.  The excuse was it's better to wax a car than another women :-).  If she is right, I'll need a "slogan" for this endevour.
2009-12-15 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2560304

Veteran

Ryan,

I'm definitely interested.  I didn't see the Springfield dates on trifind.  Do you have the dates?  Are there any you have in mind?

I'm trying to get a couple dates on the calendar early so my wife can plan around them.

Mike 

I will see what I can dig up, I had checked a while back. Right now im doing the Sullivan Il sprint tri, april 25th.
2009-12-15 2:46 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Hey all,

I was reading in the Mentor Program Instructions (HERE) that it's a good idea to add everyone in your mentor group as a 'Friend' on your Training Log homepage (bottom left of the page).  That way we can all see each others training and progress and be able to use the INSPIRE feature for each other.

Just a thought....

I've already 'friended' all of you! Smile

Dave
2009-12-15 5:19 PM
in reply to: #2560550

User image

Modesto, California
Panther - 2009-12-15 12:46 PM Hey all,

I was reading in the Mentor Program Instructions (HERE) that it's a good idea to add everyone in your mentor group as a 'Friend' on your Training Log homepage (bottom left of the page).  That way we can all see each others training and progress and be able to use the INSPIRE feature for each other.

Just a thought....

I've already 'friended' all of you! Smile

Dave

Good input Dave!

Does everyone know how to inspire?
This is the best motivational tool on BT, use it even if its three words, it lets someone else know that your supporting them and we all can use some motivation along the way!

For me, its anything with my wife and daughter, I know it sounds corny but I train allot and unfortunately during that time its all about me. This is truly my balance, we take walks,go for coffee,cook together,play barbies,and we love to try new restraunts.

Biggest triathlon fears?
Getting chicked on Wildflower run course.

2009-12-15 6:09 PM

User image

What do i do when not running, biking or swimming?
I like to listen to jazz, watch old movies and play hours and hours of World of Warcraft. My New years resolution is to read a lot more and play a lot less.

What is my biggest fear in tris?
Just the swimming, running and biking But seriously, doing all the hard work and for some reason, not completing the Sprint Tri in August.

2009-12-15 10:50 PM
in reply to: #2560933

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: treadmill speed

So when I run on a treadmill my speed is a lot slower for the same effort.  Everyone else have similar results?  I think my gait is shorter.

Mike

2009-12-16 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2561344

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: treadmill speed
ransick - 2009-12-15 11:50 PM

So when I run on a treadmill my speed is a lot slower for the same effort.  Everyone else have similar results?  I think my gait is shorter.

Mike

We just got our treadmill and I just noticed that yesterday.  I thought it was a faulty treadmill. 

Weird!
2009-12-16 8:57 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Here are a few motivational videos that heve been around on BT,
Im sure some have seen these, they are classics here.

Danny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o

NAS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwsG1ic388E

Core Magic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMHkuoEG-5k&feature=related
2009-12-16 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2561344

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: treadmill speed
ransick - 2009-12-15 8:50 PM

Mike

I tend to run a little faster outdoor than on the treadmill, but not much.  I've read that if you set the incline to 1 degree, it more accurately simulates an outdoor work level.  I do notice that it takes up to 15 minutes to get used to the treadmill again if it has been a week since using it, there is definately something different in the run mechanics from running outdoors.

for the most part, I just set the speed to my desired pace, and go brain dead while watching TV.  Outdoors is much more mentally active and engaging, and I'm sure I pay more attention to my form.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  

of 21