BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-12-15 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2556283

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Group - FULL!!
This looks like a great, diverse group!  I am going to close things up now

2009-12-15 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
OK, so I'll start off the questions.

First, on general questions, is it better to post here or the main board? Is it OK to use you as a filter for stupid questions here? What should be my thought process on posting here vs the main board?

Second, swim training question:
I've built what I feel is an OK base (obviously still need more, but can swim for as long as necessary at this point).

I am trying to decide if I should trade my medium swim (which right now is ladders every Tuesday) for lessons. This would leave me with my short swim (13X100 repeats with 20 seconds rest this week) and long swim (1800 continuous this week) and the lesson. Is that enough swimming? I'm not sure how much distance I'll put in during the lessons themselves.  My other optio is just focus on building the total weekly swimming volume.

Also, right now I've moved my short swim from increasing by 200 every week to 100 every week to create a spread of distance between the short & long swims. Does that make sense or should I keep increasing by 200 till I reach some set point and then create the spread?

Finally, is it common to have the stroke fall apart after 50M of every set? I feel like I'm world class for each set for the first 50 (even when rest is only 10-15 seconds), but then swim with poor form for the rest of the set.
2009-12-15 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2560611

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

I am new to this so bear with me . . .

This is a group to help each other and not to totally rely on Neal?  So if I think I can add something go ahead and added to the thread?

So for randomguymike, I would suggest maybe a masters program if you have access to one.  You will have someone that will push you through drills, have lots of creative drills and also work on your technique.  Most are relatively inexpensive.    I am in Elgin and I have an awesome coach, but we do all strokes.  That is not for everyone, but gives a better full body workout and keeps you from getting bored.

If that is not an option for whatever reason, I would change up your routines:

For instance, instead of just 13x100, maybe do 1x400, 1x300, 1x200 and 1x100.  It will change it up and still get the distance. Plus you are generally faster in the first sets.  Make sure to rest after a full set, maybe even do a different stroke.

Other drills for strengthening/technique:  catch up, fist drills, kicking drills, use paddles or pull bouys, practice breathing on both sides - never know where the buoys will be (if you want additional info I would be happy to provide)

Also, stokes can fall apart if all you are doing is speed drills, but as you build up strength and distance, it should get better.  If you feel it falling apart slow it down and do one of the above drills and start again.  You will see an immediate difference.

Maybe pick a distance and do a time trail every so often to test pace and timing.

Carrie639

2009-12-15 5:12 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
For Mike

Lessons will help a lot, considering your coach (and you) know what your goals are. I had three swim coaches, and the first two did help with my stroke, but didn't help a lot at making me a better triathlete. The third understood some of the differences between swimming a 200m race in a pool and swimming a mile+ in a lake then riding a bike and running. A good coach is definitely worth it.

Not to say pure swim coaches aren't beneficial. 

Oh, hey everybody!
2009-12-15 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2559487

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Group - Open!
carrie639 - 2009-12-15 9:15 AM If you still have room, I would like to join the group.

Name: Carrie Matczynski

Story:

Family Status: 37 and single. 2 chocolate labs (Briggs and Bella) and 1 cat (Tag)

Current Training:  I am biking 2-4 per week, swimming 3 times per week (all strokes, so much more fun) and running 2 times per week.  I am having trouble keeping my HR down during the run (any advice would be great) and am currently having shin splint problems (gonna try a sleeve tonight)

History:  I used to play ice hockey, so training is not the problem.  I get stronger at the swim every time I go out, so that is not my problem.  I love to bike, but my lady parts hate the seat - being inside does have it disadvantages.  I seem to hold my own on the bike (not great, but certainly not horrible either) just not getting the miles in.  Still not above 21 miles.  Running is my issue.  My HR spikes while running and I have shin splints.  Running is my weakness with a 16 minute mile time and this is barely keeping my HR under 170.  HELP!!!!

2010 Races: Rev3 Knoxville olympic and the Racine 70.3 are the only 2 I am signed up for.  Want to do a few other shorter races, but Racine is my "A" race.

2009 Races: Olympic aquabike and sprint tri, both in August.  Swims went great and the bikes got better with each race.  I walked the run portion of the sprint tri (hadn't any run training, just signed up to do with a friend)

Weight Loss Goals: Lost about 14 lbs a few months ago and have held steady.  Still want to loose lots more, but seem to have trouble and I don't think its because of over eating.  I think I might not be getting enough nutrition given my schedule.

Fears:  Other than being on a swim team, I still have never trained with anyone on the bike or on a run.  I think they would be helpful, but just fear I can't keep up (especially on the run).  All my running has been on the treadmill so far as I am a weeny in the cold.

Goals: Racine 70.3 finish

Can't wait to meet and chat with all of you.

Carrie
Elgin, IL

P.S. I am still fairly new to the site, so if I need to make my stuff more snazzy, let me know how

Hi Carrie!  It's good to have you in the group.

You've got a good start coming from a swimming background.  I know a lot of triathletes, myself included, who have had to learn to swim and that can be a struggle to pick up.  Like I mentioned before it is definitely my weakness.  It will be good to have your expertise around.

It sounds like you are relatively new to running too.  I know several people who have had success starting to run by using walk/run intervals.  For example run 3 minutes, walk 1.  I know I will be doing similar intervals as I come back from my injury.

I seriously contemplated doing Racine this summer but settle on Kansas 70.3 instead.
2009-12-15 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2559514

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
James89 - 2009-12-15 9:21 AM Hello everyone.

My name is James.
I have recently decided that I am going to run a triathlon.  I have always wanted to improve my endurance but never had the drive to get into a steady running routine.  I have no real experience with any of the sports, but I'm excited to learn.  This seems like great motivation to start and stick with it.

I am 20 years old and a college student.  So I should have plenty of time for workouts.

Right now my only goal is to get started and do a sprint in May.  Sometime between now and then I'll reevaluate and possibly look at some more races for the summer.

These groups seem like a great way to give and receive advice and keep everyone supported and motivated.

Hey James!  Sounds like a good plan.

I drank away my college years and had to work lose those pounds I put on eventually.  Good for you for picking a sport that will allow you keep up a healthy lifestyle.

Have you started swimming or biking yet? 

2009-12-15 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2559622

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: LET'S DO THIS!!
ethilo - 2009-12-15 9:53 AM NAME: Evan Thilo / ethilo. 23 years old, 6'2" 175lb, Seattle, WA.

STORY:
just graduated from the University of Washington in June and started triathlon training in July.  Used to play ultimate frisbee, a LOT.  I always was an ok athlete through high school, never really shined athletically and was probably 15-20% body fat.  I saw my brother do a sprint tri 2 years ago while I was in college and I kept it in the back of my mind as a goal in the future.  Started on BT back in July to work towards that sprint tri that my brother did.  After completing it, I fell in love with multisport and vowed to work towards a full IM.

My background is running, as a kid I would always gauge my personal health by my mile-time.  If I couldn't run faster than a 7:00 mile, then I would start exercising until I could run a 6:20, then stop.  Never considered distance running, and never imagined I'd ever be able to run faster than a 6:00 mile. (PR 5:55 earlier this summer)

I am taking a year off from school and am currently interviewing to start medical school in fall of 2010.  In the meantime, triathlon training is my focus outside of my dayjob - I work in the ER as a medical scribe with sporadic hours.  My training happens at all hours of the day.

FAMILY STATUS:

Single, 1 brother, 1 sister, living at home with my mom, father lives 10 mins away.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I just did my first marathon on Nov 27th, the Seattle Marathon.  That was 'run-focus' and now that it's winter, I decided to switch to 'swim-focus.'  When spring comes around, I want to switch to 'bike-focus.'

LAST SEASON'S RACES:
2 sprint tris (1st place AG in my 2nd race, YES!) and finished my first full-mary in 3:39 2 wks ago (goal was 3:30).

UPCOMING 2010 GOALS:
*Be able to swim the full IM distance without stopping. - Workout ideas wanted, help!
*Half IM at the end of summer 2010 before medical school. - Ideas for building towards this goal - help!
*Run a 5:30 mile (currently could pull off a 6:00 mile) - Don't know how to train for pure speed, help!
*Beat my dad's full-mary PR (3:27) - gotta 1-up the old man.  Distance + speed, help!
*NEED to better my hill climb on bike - help!

HOW I CAN CONTRIBUTE TO THE GROUP:

*One of my favorite parts about triathlon is the nutrition aspect.  Biochemistry/Organic chemistry is probably my strongest area in education.  I majored in Neurobiology at the UW and have spent a lot of my extracurricular time reading/studying nutrition and the biochemistry behind my nutrition.
*Personal experience in weight loss includes 20lbs from nutrition shift only (over the last year before triathlon training, BEFORE starting any regular exercise program).
*Excitement/Motivation!

Welcome Evan!

Congrats on finishing your first mary!  That's a heck of a time for your first time out.  I can't wait to see how much faster you can get.
2009-12-15 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2559648

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
michwea - 2009-12-15 9:59 AM Hi Neal,

I'd like to join your mentor group if there is still room.

STORY: My name's Michelle.  I'll be 48 in a couple of weeks.  Started running about a year and a half ago to lose about 15 pounds--and it worked!  Been running ever since, albeit slowly.  I completed a 10k, a 5k, and a half marathon in 2009.  During my training for the half, I cycled for cross training, and it kind of stuck.  A friend of mine has done a couple of tris and it got me curious...I'm thinking, hey, I've got two of the three sports, why not?  Started to surf the web for more detail on tri training and lifestyle.  Tripped on to Beginner Triathlete, and the rest is history.  Been lurking for several months (in fact, this is my first ever post!).  Been waiting for the 2010 mentor groups to open up to take the plunge.

FAMILY STATUS: 
Married 18 years, no kids.  1.5 cats though.  (the half cat is a neighbor's cat who likes our house better than his own).

CURRENT TRAINING:
Just put the finishing touches on my running training plan for the season (I have two half mary's planned for the spring, plus another in the fall, along with a sprinkling of shorter, local races).  I'm doing a lot of reading on base building for the bike and am trying to incorporate that into my plan.  The swimming is the vexing part.  I can swim, but not really.  And I don't have easy access to a pool.  My first and only swim goal at this point is to get some lessons under my belt to learn basic stroke and breathing technique.  If successful, I may actually sign up for a sprint tri later Laughing

2010 RACES:
Shamrock Half Marathon in Sacramento in March, the American River Parkway Trust Half Marathon in Sacramento in May, and the Two Cities Half Marathon in Fresno in November.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when they open the lottery for the Nike Women's in San Francisco, that I'll get a slot for that as well. 

2009 RACES:
One 10k, one 5k, and one half marathon--all local.  I ran a 2:15:17 in that half and was really, really pleased.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:
Just to continue to maintain the 15 lb. weight loss from 2008.  So far, with all the activity, no problems in this arena.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD STUDENT:
I consider myself a life long learner.  I'm open to whatever feedback, advice, and wisdom you and the other members of this mentoring team can impart.  I'm 'coachable,' as they say.

Hi Michelle!  Good to have you aboard.

Sounds like you have a perfectly good reason to get into triathlon.  Lessons will go a long way towards helping with your stroke and gaining confidence in the water.  Consistently getting in  those swim workouts will help a lot too 
2009-12-15 7:08 PM

Veteran
Surrey, BC
Here's my bio

NAME: Lukasz

STORY: I started running almost 2 years ago after seeing my best friend finish his first marathon. After seeing him finish, I knew that this was something that I wanted to be part of. Running is now more than just an activity to me, it's now part of my life and our friendship. The same goes for triathlon, he got into the sport and now I want to. I have always told myself that I would first finish a full marathon before attempting any distance triathlon and therefor have already signed up for my first full marathon on May 2nd.

FAMILY STATUS: A girlfriend, my job & school. Since I see my school and work more than my girlfriend, I might as well consider them part of the family.

CURRENT TRAINING: Started training for my first full marathon today. Also biking once a week and hoping to finally get into the pool in the next 2 weeks as swimming is my biggest obstacle. I haven't swam in years and have been procrastinating about getting into the pool.

2010 RACES: 1-2 full marathons, 2 half marathons, 1 sprint and 1 olympic distance tri.

2009 RACES: 3 Half marathons.

WEIGHT GAIN GOALS: Instead of losing weight I actually would like to gain 5-10 lbs of muscles as I'm currently at 153 lbs with 8% body fat at 5'11".

Goals: Run a marathon in under 4hrs, run a half in under 1:40 as I seem to be stuck at 1:50 - 1:55, atleast for my last 3 halfs, and to get my @ss into the pool.
2009-12-15 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2559830

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Jacklcm - 2009-12-15 10:54 AM

Hi Neal,

Name: Jack

I'd like to join your mentor group if there is still room.

STORY: My name's Jack (jacklcm).  Been on the site for about 8 months. Im 51 and I started training for a triathlon five years ago beginning with a 10k. Unfortunately after improving my fitness I started back playing soccer and blew out my knee. That set me back a few  years before I decided to get it fixed (new ACL) and begin the recovery that was suppose to take 6 months. Unfortunately, complications during recovery took over a year and I still couldn't run due feet problems. Triathlons really were not even in my mind I just want to be able to run without pain. After doing exercise classes at the YMCA I found spin classes and I did them three times a week for a year or so before getting back to running. I did a 10k in the spring 09 and got re-started training for my first tri in April last year using the free training plan here at BT. I was ready finally for my first sprint in May after five years and I was so excited. The night before I was finalizing preps and I pumped my tires up a tire blewout.  I found a bike shop open late and got a new set. My first race as so much fun I was hooked. After training all summer I completed an International in Oct (but I was weak on the run - missed some training due to a sprained ankle). After the Olympic I spent Oct working on my run and completed a half marathon
FAMILY STATUS: 
Married 24 years, 2 kids 21 and 18. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
I've begun a 20 week program to prepare for the early half IM in May.  I’m joining a tri training group that starts in  Feb. and I’m taking running classes to improve in running.  I see full IM by the end of  2011.

2010 RACES:
National Duathlon Festival (Duathlon) 4/25/2010  (Richmond Va.)

½ IM May Kenetic Louisa Va.

½ IM  Patriot – Williamsburg Va.

I plan to do another Olympic and a sprint during the summer.

2009 RACES:
Runing  10k March  and my Richmond half marathon fall.

Sprint in May and Olympic Oct.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:
I started last year at about 225 and now I at 190.  Looking to drop to 180.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD STUDENT:

I’m very new and I’m continually looking to get better.  I don’t come from a background in any one of these sports so there is a lot to learn.  I see that you have been through what I’m going through now and I look forward to learning from your efforts and past experiences.  I’m pretty motivated by myself, but I would appreciate comparing similar experiences with folks that have been through what I planning to do. 

PS My spin class instructor did Wisconsin IM a few years ago.  I hear there's a pretty mean hill.

Hi Jack!  Good to have you along for the ride!

Can't wait to help you make a leap to the HIM distance.  It's definitely a different animal than a sprint or Oly.

About IMWI, I heard 3 hills to be exact.  Hopefully I'll be getting out there to ride the course once or twice this summer. 
2009-12-15 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2560106

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
ncSwede - 2009-12-15 12:10 PM

Hello Neal,

I would like to join this group if there is still room.

NAME: Christer

STORY: Since I moved from Sweden to USA four years ago I have struggled to get a good exercise routine going. It managed to get it to be fairly regular 3-4 times a week up to about one and a half years ago when work and other things in my life changed which made me stop almost completely. I have since just exercised sporadically and I am now looking for a goal that can be my motivation to get a regular training program going again. I have been lurking here for a while and I feel that triathlons would be a good challenge to get me motivated. I am currently a very poor swimmer and I feel that just doing the swim portion of a triathlon will be a challenge for me. Fortunately I get motivated by challenges, the more difficult and impossible it seems the more motivated I get.
FAMILY STATUS: 33, married, no kids
CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I am just in the beginning of ramping up my running to get my legs used to the exercise by running 20 minutes or so. 
2010 RACES: Nothing booked yet but I am looking at starting of with a sprint with a pool swim around April and would then like to do another couple of sprints with open water swims during the year.
WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I would like to loose about 10-15 lbs that I have gained since I stopped going to the gym
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD STUDENT: Since I get motivated by challenges I feel that this sport is perfect for me, if in the future just finishing a sprint distance is not challenging enough in the future I can always try to improve my time or go for an oly and so on. I am going to keep a daily training log and be on the forum daily to get my motivation from how everybody else in the group progresses.

Welcome Christer!

Yeah, the swim can be daunting at first.  Just 25 yards can seem like forever.  But believe me, persistence will pay off.

Like you, I too enjoy a good challenge.  That's the great thing about triathlon is that it presents many challenge.  You can always challenge yourself at each distance or even each individual sport.  Set goals, reach them, and set new goals.  It's a vicious cycle

2009-12-15 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2560458

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
jammers - 2009-12-15 2:10 PM Neal, I'd like to join if you've got room for one more.

NAME: jammers / Jim

STORY: 2009 was my first triathlon season.  I participated in 4 Sprint tri's and two duathlons.  Lacrosse used to be my motivation to stay in shape, but I'm "retired" as of this year.  I need motivation to stay in shape, so I decided to sign up for a local triathlon.  I had no idea how to train or what I was really getting into.  It was a humbling experience (I stunk).  I was determined to improve.  I signed up for another race, found BT, and now I'm hooked.  Most of my training is solo, having a group to keep me on track will be helpful. 

FAMILY STATUS: 32, married, 18 month old daughter

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently doing some strength training and trying to focus on running. I did a 1/2 marathon November 15th. I haven't been in the pool since September, haven't been on the bike Since October.  

2010 RACES: more races than last year, no plan yet.  Sprint focused.  Maybe an oly if I can find more training time.

2009 RACES: 1 1/2 marathon, 2 duathlons, 4 sprints.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:6' tall.  Ran my first race at 198.  I cut way back on lifting, lost some fat, and got down to 180 at one point.  I'm probably closer to 185 right now (my college weight).  I'd love to race at 170-175 this coming season, but I'm not sure I have the nutritional discipline to get there. 

Goals: Improve, have fun, stay fit, and placing in AG would be great too...stretch goal.

Hey Jim!  Welcome!

Funny how you sign up for one of these then finish it and then instantly think, man, I wanna get better at this.  That's how you know you're hooked.

Hopefully the group can keep you accountable and get you prepared for the upcoming season!
2009-12-15 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2561010

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Lukasz - 2009-12-15 7:08 PM Here's my bio NAME: Lukasz STORY: I started running almost 2 years ago after seeing my best friend finish his first marathon. After seeing him finish, I knew that this was something that I wanted to be part of. Running is now more than just an activity to me, it's now part of my life and our friendship. The same goes for triathlon, he got into the sport and now I want to. I have always told myself that I would first finish a full marathon before attempting any distance triathlon and therefor have already signed up for my first full marathon on May 2nd. FAMILY STATUS: A girlfriend, my job & school. Since I see my school and work more than my girlfriend, I might as well consider them part of the family. CURRENT TRAINING: Started training for my first full marathon today. Also biking once a week and hoping to finally get into the pool in the next 2 weeks as swimming is my biggest obstacle. I haven't swam in years and have been procrastinating about getting into the pool. 2010 RACES: 1-2 full marathons, 2 half marathons, 1 sprint and 1 olympic distance tri. 2009 RACES: 3 Half marathons. WEIGHT GAIN GOALS: Instead of losing weight I actually would like to gain 5-10 lbs of muscles as I'm currently at 153 lbs with 8% body fat at 5'11". Goals: Run a marathon in under 4hrs, run a half in under 1:40 as I seem to be stuck at 1:50 - 1:55, atleast for my last 3 halfs, and to get my @ss into the pool.

HI Lukasz and welcome!

Very cool that you're signed up for your first marathon.  I hope the training goes well.  Is there any particular plan that you're using?

Do you have a swimming background?  Hopefully that will make things easier when the time comes. 
2009-12-15 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2560611

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
randomguymike - 2009-12-15 3:08 PM OK, so I'll start off the questions.

First, on general questions, is it better to post here or the main board? Is it OK to use you as a filter for stupid questions here? What should be my thought process on posting here vs the main board?

Second, swim training question:
I've built what I feel is an OK base (obviously still need more, but can swim for as long as necessary at this point).

I am trying to decide if I should trade my medium swim (which right now is ladders every Tuesday) for lessons. This would leave me with my short swim (13X100 repeats with 20 seconds rest this week) and long swim (1800 continuous this week) and the lesson. Is that enough swimming? I'm not sure how much distance I'll put in during the lessons themselves.  My other optio is just focus on building the total weekly swimming volume.

Also, right now I've moved my short swim from increasing by 200 every week to 100 every week to create a spread of distance between the short & long swims. Does that make sense or should I keep increasing by 200 till I reach some set point and then create the spread?

Finally, is it common to have the stroke fall apart after 50M of every set? I feel like I'm world class for each set for the first 50 (even when rest is only 10-15 seconds), but then swim with poor form for the rest of the set.

Mike - feel free to ask any question here.  I'll try and do my best to answer with my limited knowledge and hopefully others in the group will chime in as well if they have input.

That said don't hesitate to use the main board as well.  There are many knowledgeable people on this site and most of them are eager to share.

Now for your swimming questions.  If you have the opportunity to take lessons I say do.  They can be very beneficial in correcting any stroke problems you may have.

As far as if that is enough swimming, that is hard to say.  I guess it depends on your goals.  I got by for 2 seasons with just 3 swims per week, sometimes less, and most people keep such a schedule.

Breaking up and varying your workouts may be something you want to do as well.  I think keeping one long, continuous swim a week is beneficial.  For the others you may want to mix in some drilling along with your speed sets.  Personally, the majority of my swim workouts consist of approximately 50% drilling intermixed throughout.  This may help some with the form falling apart too.  You wouldn't be doing back to back hard sets on short rest.

Hopefully that helps a little.  Keep the questions coming

2009-12-15 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2560756

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
carrie639 - 2009-12-15 3:57 PM

I am new to this so bear with me . . .

This is a group to help each other and not to totally rely on Neal?  So if I think I can add something go ahead and added to the thread?

So for randomguymike, I would suggest maybe a masters program if you have access to one.  You will have someone that will push you through drills, have lots of creative drills and also work on your technique.  Most are relatively inexpensive.    I am in Elgin and I have an awesome coach, but we do all strokes.  That is not for everyone, but gives a better full body workout and keeps you from getting bored.

If that is not an option for whatever reason, I would change up your routines:

For instance, instead of just 13x100, maybe do 1x400, 1x300, 1x200 and 1x100.  It will change it up and still get the distance. Plus you are generally faster in the first sets.  Make sure to rest after a full set, maybe even do a different stroke.

Other drills for strengthening/technique:  catch up, fist drills, kicking drills, use paddles or pull bouys, practice breathing on both sides - never know where the buoys will be (if you want additional info I would be happy to provide)

Also, stokes can fall apart if all you are doing is speed drills, but as you build up strength and distance, it should get better.  If you feel it falling apart slow it down and do one of the above drills and start again.  You will see an immediate difference.

Maybe pick a distance and do a time trail every so often to test pace and timing.

Carrie639

Glad to have the swimmer chime in on this one!  Thanks for any insight you have.  And you're absolutely right.  I think everyone here will have something useful to contribute.

I like the idea of time trialing to mark progress.  I started my swim focused training the beginning of November and did a 1000yd time trial to start things off.  I am excited to test again in 2 weeks to quantify the progress that I've made.  
2009-12-15 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2561072

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

Thanks for the comments, but believe me I am not an expert, just a person who has had tons of technique that last several months from a great masters coach.  I am happy to share any and all drills.

For those newer to swimming here are a few drills for technique - they will definitely make you faster and more efficient if you devote some time:

FIST DRILL - will excentuate your stroke as you pull through the water, make sure to do an "S" going towards your hips and back out of the water with a flick of the fist (do a freestyle right after this and you will see the difference)

CATCH UP DRILL - this is to make sure you are extending your hand as far as possible to get the most distance out of your pull (as you hand is outsretched your body should be rotated to slice through the water). 

FINGERTIP DRAGS - this is to make sure you high high elbows out of the water (most efficient use of arm).  drag your fingertips across the water as close to your head as possible.

KICK DRILLS - Kick with a board or with hand outstretched.  This will build strong legs.  I just started kicking recently (UUUGGGHHH), but I can't stress enough to kick from your hips and NOT your knees.  You will get more out of your kick using your full legs, and if you are prone to cramps, should surely be able to avoid them.  I used a pull bouy 100% for 3-4 months this summer because I cramped so much.  I am very strong and kinda fast, but kicking is making me faster.  You will know you are doing this right if after a few lengths or laps your quads, hips and hams burn . . . it is a good burn!

For strength, try using paddles or pull buoys.  If you haven't used these before, don't do too many laps as you can hurt your shoulder (I know).  These should definitely be used in moderation and work on buidling laps.  If you have never used these you will find yourself asking if paddles are race legal ---- sorry, they are not, otherwise I would be using them

I have also learned over the last several month that the core work I have done has also make it much easier for me to rotate in the water --- so don't forget your core work.

Good luck and I would love to hear how these work for people.

2009-12-15 8:40 PM

User image

Cedar Rapids
Thanks for the tips Carrie! I need as many help/ideas to improve my swimming as I can get! I will try a few of these out when I go to the pool in a few days.24 hours in the group and I'm already learning! Great Start!
2009-12-15 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2559203

User image

Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
disturbed275 - 2009-12-15 9:10 AM
Hey Luc!  It's good to see a familiar face here.  I hope you are having a good offseason so far.

2 marathons this year?  You're crazy

Yes 2 marathons, but let me explain.... I want to do the same marathon as last year, early May. My wife wants to do her first marathon and that would be 3 weeks after my marathon. And she wants me to run it with her. So I said yes since I will not be able to run a marathon at full speed. I will do it with her at her pace. So I am actually doing one marathon with a target time of 3h40 and the second one will be around 5h00-5h30.
2009-12-15 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2561042

Veteran
Surrey, BC
disturbed275 - 2009-12-15 5:32 PM

HI Lukasz and welcome!

Very cool that you're signed up for your first marathon.  I hope the training goes well.  Is there any particular plan that you're using?

Do you have a swimming background?  Hopefully that will make things easier when the time comes. 

As far as the marathon training, I am using the RunnersWorld smart coach program. Not sure if anybody here has used it, but I so far used it for all of my races. The program allows you to enter and choose certain details such as your last races distance & time, how many miles do you train now, and how hard you want to work, and it then creates a training schedule according to your answers.

I plan on upgrading my account to Bronze and using one of the available sprint programs in order to complete my first sprint. But before doing so I want to build a swimming base so that I am able to swim atleast 20min.
I wouldn't say that I have a swimming background anymore as it's been atleast 10 years since I swam using proper technique, but im hoping that I can pick it back up pretty quickly.
I have a copy of "Total Immersion Swimming" that I will be using as my swimming guideline.
2009-12-15 10:37 PM
in reply to: #2560984

disturbed275 - 2009-12-16 7:54 AM

I drank away my college years and had to work lose those pounds I put on eventually.  Good for you for picking a sport that will allow you keep up a healthy lifestyle.

My first swim is going to be tomorrow.  So far I've rode a stationary bike a few times and plan to get on a mountain bike soon.  Not sure when I'll be getting a road bike, not really worried about it just yet.

Cost is going to be the biggest factor for when/if/how the bike purchase happens.  But I'm pretty sure my first investment into Triathlon will be a good pair of running shoes, and that probably isn't too far off.
2009-12-16 5:29 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

You forgot to put that you were a pretty good 'strapper at IM Moo '09.

2009-12-16 6:33 AM
in reply to: #2561138

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
carrie639 - 2009-12-15 8:26 PM

Thanks for the comments, but believe me I am not an expert, just a person who has had tons of technique that last several months from a great masters coach.  I am happy to share any and all drills.

For those newer to swimming here are a few drills for technique - they will definitely make you faster and more efficient if you devote some time:

FIST DRILL - will excentuate your stroke as you pull through the water, make sure to do an "S" going towards your hips and back out of the water with a flick of the fist (do a freestyle right after this and you will see the difference)

CATCH UP DRILL - this is to make sure you are extending your hand as far as possible to get the most distance out of your pull (as you hand is outsretched your body should be rotated to slice through the water). 

FINGERTIP DRAGS - this is to make sure you high high elbows out of the water (most efficient use of arm).  drag your fingertips across the water as close to your head as possible.

KICK DRILLS - Kick with a board or with hand outstretched.  This will build strong legs.  I just started kicking recently (UUUGGGHHH), but I can't stress enough to kick from your hips and NOT your knees.  You will get more out of your kick using your full legs, and if you are prone to cramps, should surely be able to avoid them.  I used a pull bouy 100% for 3-4 months this summer because I cramped so much.  I am very strong and kinda fast, but kicking is making me faster.  You will know you are doing this right if after a few lengths or laps your quads, hips and hams burn . . . it is a good burn!

For strength, try using paddles or pull buoys.  If you haven't used these before, don't do too many laps as you can hurt your shoulder (I know).  These should definitely be used in moderation and work on buidling laps.  If you have never used these you will find yourself asking if paddles are race legal ---- sorry, they are not, otherwise I would be using them

I have also learned over the last several month that the core work I have done has also make it much easier for me to rotate in the water --- so don't forget your core work.

Good luck and I would love to hear how these work for people.

Thanks Carrie for the drills and descriptions.

I just want to add a little to those who are not familiar with the catch up drill.  This drill is essentially waiting to begin your pull with one hand until the other has entered the water and "caught" up to the other hand. 
2009-12-16 6:35 AM
in reply to: #2561202

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
thebrayon - 2009-12-15 9:03 PM
disturbed275 - 2009-12-15 9:10 AM
Hey Luc!  It's good to see a familiar face here.  I hope you are having a good offseason so far.

2 marathons this year?  You're crazy

Yes 2 marathons, but let me explain.... I want to do the same marathon as last year, early May. My wife wants to do her first marathon and that would be 3 weeks after my marathon. And she wants me to run it with her. So I said yes since I will not be able to run a marathon at full speed. I will do it with her at her pace. So I am actually doing one marathon with a target time of 3h40 and the second one will be around 5h00-5h30.

Ahh, I see.  Very cool that you are going to run the second one with your wife, especially since its her first.
2009-12-16 6:41 AM
in reply to: #2561206

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Lukasz - 2009-12-15 9:05 PM
disturbed275 - 2009-12-15 5:32 PM
HI Lukasz and welcome!

As far as the marathon training, I am using the RunnersWorld smart coach program. Not sure if anybody here has used it, but I so far used it for all of my races. The program allows you to enter and choose certain details such as your last races distance & time, how many miles do you train now, and how hard you want to work, and it then creates a training schedule according to your answers. I plan on upgrading my account to Bronze and using one of the available sprint programs in order to complete my first sprint. But before doing so I want to build a swimming base so that I am able to swim atleast 20min. I wouldn't say that I have a swimming background anymore as it's been atleast 10 years since I swam using proper technique, but im hoping that I can pick it back up pretty quickly. I have a copy of "Total Immersion Swimming" that I will be using as my swimming guideline.

I have not used the RunnersWorld plan.  I have used one of Higdon's plans for my last marathon, although I found that it was lacking in some of the mid-range runs.  I will be looking for a new plan next time around.

A lot of people like and have success with the total immersion system.  I tried to use it when I first started swimming, but had a hard time following it.  Mostly because I didn't realize the importance of drilling at the time and just wanted to build my yardage up to where I could complete Oly and HIM distances.  I bet if I revisited it I would get a lot more out of it.  I hope it works for you!
2009-12-16 6:44 AM
in reply to: #2561334

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
James89 - 2009-12-15 10:37 PM
disturbed275 - 2009-12-16 7:54 AM

My first swim is going to be tomorrow.  So far I've rode a stationary bike a few times and plan to get on a mountain bike soon.  Not sure when I'll be getting a road bike, not really worried about it just yet.

Cost is going to be the biggest factor for when/if/how the bike purchase happens.  But I'm pretty sure my first investment into Triathlon will be a good pair of running shoes, and that probably isn't too far off.

You're right.  I wouldn't worry too much about the road bike yet.  The key starting out is to just get some mileage in on those legs.  I started out on a stationary bike and a hybrid for the first couple months of training that I did before finally upgrading to a road bike.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 26