BT Development Mentor Program Archives » running2far's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2009-12-20 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2557541

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: running2far's Group - Closed
OK People.  We need to wake this thing up.  Look at the other Mentor threads, 5, 7, 10. 20 pages?  We are, my compadres, quite lame in comparison.  Lets jazz this thing up and get some talk going!

What are you riding?  Tell us about your bike(s).  Doesnt matter what it is.

I will start: 

Road bikes:
Bianchi Eros, steel frame, Campy Mirage 9 speed triple, lower end Mavic Cxp 33 wheels  They stay true, so why upgrade?. Celeste!  Que Bella!  Old and fairly heavy but its one of those Italian steel frame bikes that rides like heaven.  This was my firstl road bike and still functions as commuter or the bike I ride down to Ohio street beach for OWS.  Put on platform pedals which makes commuting easy.  Used to commute to work a lot when I worked in the Loop.

Bianchi 928 Carbon, Campy Veloce/Chorus mix 10 speed, compact crankset.  Ksyrium SL wheelset.  Stiff but not jarring ride.  Light and fast when ridden by someone less sluggish than I.  Naked carbon with celeste accents, again Que Bella.  This is what I ride most and what is on the trainer right now.

Tri bike:
None.  Lusting after Kuota KFactor.  It will happen.  This spring, CFO be damned.

Mountain bike:
None.  Sold on Craigslist to make room and $$ for daughter's road bike.

Next??!?!?

2009-12-20 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque
I've just got a basic Trek 1000 road bike.  I can't afford to get anything nicer at the moment, and considering that I probably won't be doing any tris longer than a sprint for at least another year, it suits my purposes just fine.  I've replaced the pedals, the tires, and have upgraded to an adjustable carbon stem, but other than that, everything else is from the manufacturer.  I imagine at some point I'll probably get some aero bars, as I do go on longer bike rides pretty regularly, but I think an actual tri bike is something waaay ahead in my future.  The poor grad student life style just doesn't allow a big budget for such fancy toys.
2009-12-20 11:52 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-12-20 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2569667

Lost Wages Nevada
I'm fortunate enough to have two bikes. My road bike is a 2009 Trek Gary Fisher with areo bars on it and a upgraded Crank set. My Tri bike is a 2010 Canondale slice 4, Love it and rarely ride the road bike anymore.@ megtrow and melbel, don't stress the value or look of the bikes, it's the engine that matters. One of my favorite things about triathlete's is their lack of ego. I have been passed by my an athlete and even passed one or two of them myself, not once did I think less or more of any of them based on the bike they where riding. If they were passing me my thoughts led to how much harder they must have worked then myself, if I pass them then I have nothing but pride that they are out here on the road with me sharing a sport I love.Don't ever feel like less of an athlete because of the equipment you use, some of it may help you do this sport easier, faster or even hoter , but none of it will ever make you more or less of a triathlete.....
2009-12-20 10:10 PM

over a barrier
I have a Felt Cross bike that is used for local riding and I'll start to race Cross next year. My current Tri Bike is a Serotta CXII which I've had since 2007. I'm currently buying parts on ebay/ST for a new build. I purchased Dave Zabriskies Felt DA frame and building it up over the next few months....

How's training look for the upcoming week? I have a big workout tomorrow, retesting my hour of power (FTP). Its been 8 weeks and i've expecting a nice bump in wattage. Its so painful though, I have angry metal blasting and the widows open and three fans on me.

The rest of the week will be manageable I think. (hope)
2009-12-21 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2569726

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
melbel1038 - 2009-12-20 11:52 AM Mountain bike purchased from Toys R Us several years ago LOL.  Saving for a road bike....used....soon   don't laugh.

I started with a mountain bike....but it had thin wheels on it....my current bike is a giant that I got used for the LBS

2009-12-21 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2569024

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
ChicagoMan65 - 2009-12-19 5:25 PM
running2far - 2009-12-18 3:47 PM @The Group....trying to catch up and everyone's bio and blog etc...We've got some great weightloss stories here. Care to share any tips? When I'm trying to lose weight, I count calories but very losely and try and stay in a 500 calorie deficit per day....anything more I'll be good for three or four days and then really pig out. What works for you?

Three things that have worked for and against me with weight loss are:
1. Portion size control.  One piece of pizza.  One not two, etc. etc.  Amazing how much I tend to overeat.
2.  Watch fats.  When I cut down on fats and processed foods, weight can go pretty quick.
3. Training.  Train harder, longer. You burn more.  Add this to 1 and 2 and weight flies off.

Last thing: Alcohol.  When I got sober, I lost close to 50 lbs in a couple months without dieting, trying, or even wanting to lose weight.  It just disappeared.  Now, I may be an abberation because of my history, but the beer will put it on you.

I knew I was doing something wrong
2009-12-21 10:27 AM

Lost Wages Nevada

Training this week will be a challenge (I'm guessing the same for all) due to travel, family, and the daily battle with wanting to be a slacker (especially after cookies and fudge).
We are heading to S. California and I have made plans to meet up with some other Tri freaks for a Saturday beating on PCH of 56 miles followed by a nice 10k (followed of course by lots of male ego chatter and several beers)

I'm curious what specifically you are measuring for in your test day? Maybe you could take a few lines to go over that whole process for us. I currently only use races and long bike/runs to test my progression, but would love to hear what your doing....

2009-12-21 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2570411

Extreme Veteran
Training this week:  Hopefully not too much of a challenge, but holiday hours at the pool will cut into swimmiing I am afraid.  Bike in basement, so can always just ride.

Other than that, just the usual Dec. 24-25 STRESS TEST! Or should I just consider it as intervals above LT?
2009-12-21 1:55 PM

2009-12-21 5:25 PM

Veteran
Portland
NAME: Kerry
STORY: I ran cross country in high school, and starting bike commuting in college and moved from there to a more concerted exercise effort that usually included the gym (elliptical and spinning classes) and a bunch of yoga-- I have always valued exercise and how I feel when I am regularly exercising--but I wasn't excited by my routine. So I started training for half marathons and my mom convinced me to do a sprint tri a few year ago-- I loved it, and the variety of training for it (not to mention the new gear :-) I ran the Portland marathon in the fall of 2008, and while it was a GREAT experience I wasn't sold on marathoning being great for your body, plus I was busy with a new dog and wedding planning and being in a new job & city-- so I completely stopped following any kind of training plan and 2009 was the year of sporadic exercise (and even more sporadic logging of my workouts!). Luckily, I still bike commute a bunch and haven't completely lost my running base (just mostly...), so I am not terribly out of shape but i am seriously missing having a routine, not to mention feeling like i am in shape. SO that brings me to 2010 and some races on the schedule and a major focus on getting back in shape!
FAMILY STATUS: Just got married in September, live with my awesome husband and our perfect doggy, Stella
CURRENT TRAINING: ha, does making (and consuming) cookies and xmas shopping count as training?
THIS YEAR'S RACES: none! life really won out this year
2010 RACES: Eugene 1/2 marathon 5/2/10, a tbd sprint tri or two in the summer, Portland Half Marathon on 10/10/10
WEIGHTLOSS: Need to get back in shape, whether or not this includes weightloss remains to be seen, but it will certainly include fitting into my smaller jeans! If I make it back to 128# (I'm 5'4), I'll be psyched but that's a secondary goal to feeling better, eating better and moving more)

Apologies in advance if I am MIA until 2010- holiday craziness is upon me, and I'm working in between parties, etc :-)

2009-12-21 5:35 PM

Veteran
Portland
My bike's a Specialized Allez, and I'm still a little afraid of it (2 years in...), I spend a lot of time on my commuter bike (an old school trek i've had since high school, outfitted with all the racks, lights, fenders, etc. that you need to make it through a rainy Portland winter...)and the skinny tires and being clipped in hasn't become second nature yet. Another 2010 goal of mine is to do more long rides with my husband, Mark.
2009-12-21 6:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque
I keep telling myself I'll get some training in this week (maybe not "training", but at least some exercise.. haha).  I'm headed to Mexico for a few days over Christmas (living 45 minutes from the border certainly has it's advantages sometimes!), so at the very least I should be able to get in some runs on the beach and maybe brave the cold water with my wetsuit for a swim or two.

I'll worry about the after-effects of the fish tacos and the margaritas when I get back home, I guess. 
2009-12-22 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2571975

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
megtrow - 2009-12-21 6:42 PM I keep telling myself I'll get some training in this week (maybe not "training", but at least some exercise.. haha).  I'm headed to Mexico for a few days over Christmas (living 45 minutes from the border certainly has it's advantages sometimes!), so at the very least I should be able to get in some runs on the beach and maybe brave the cold water with my wetsuit for a swim or two.

I'll worry about the after-effects of the fish tacos and the margaritas when I get back home, I guess. 

Have fun in Mexico...and yes I am jealous
2009-12-22 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2570703

Veteran
one slice of pizza? I knew it wasn´t only training! welcome to tri world

Edited by Chezz 2009-12-22 3:39 PM
2009-12-23 8:10 AM

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
We know one of us is going to Mexico over the holidays.....is anyone else traveling?   Any big plans for the holidays?  What's on your Christmas List?

I am staying home so I don't have to fight any traffic or the weather.  My 2 boys are excited for Santa to come so I am sure they will wake up early....my daughter just wants her presents now....My wife wants to seat back and enjoy everyone opening their presents....and I hope Santa brings me a bike traininer

2009-12-23 8:43 AM

2009-12-23 9:17 AM

over a barrier
@Kerry - So cool you ran Cross Country, I wish I would have known what I know now...that would have been a great sport for me.

My Christmas plans are the same every year, I go to my Dads in the burbs and then drive across Illinois and part of Iowa to see my Mom for a few days. Its a long drive 6+ hrs usually in a some sort of winter storm. Fingers crossed this year!!!!!

I opened presents last night from my girlfriend....I got a few books. Racing Weight, Athletes Plate, and Run workouts for Triathletes by Bobby McGee. I've heard him speak a few times and really like his stuff. I sorta figured out my other present that wasn't ready yet...I have an autographed poster of Zabriskie and since its fanished I think its being framed

I got some semi good news. I was sent an application to apply for a local's bike shops elite Tri team. They are looking to expand by a few roster spots. Fingers crossed!

Edited by running2far 2009-12-23 9:24 AM
2009-12-23 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2575034

Extreme Veteran
running2far - 2009-12-23 9:17 AM @Kerry - So cool you ran Cross Country, I wish I would have known what I know now...that would have been a great sport for me. My Christmas plans are the same every year, I go to my Dads in the burbs and then drive across Illinois and part of Iowa to see my Mom for a few days. Its a long drive 6+ hrs usually in a some sort of winter storm. Fingers crossed this year!!!!! I opened presents last night from my girlfriend....I got a few books. Racing Weight, Athletes Plate, and Run workouts for Triathletes by Bobby McGee. I've heard him speak a few times and really like his stuff. I sorta figured out my other present that wasn't ready yet...I have an autographed poster of Zabriskie and since its fanished I think its being framed I got some semi good news. I was sent an application to apply for a local's bike shops elite Tri team. They are looking to expand by a few roster spots. Fingers crossed!

Very cool!  What shop?

Bobby McGee...LOVE that song......Freedom's just another word for nothin left to lose.....!
2009-12-23 11:58 AM

over a barrier
GetaGrip...they had a team of 10ish last year I guess. One of their members sent me the application. I now one of the members moved to Colordado so maybe its just one slot open. Not real sure. Don't even know when they'll decide or anything....
2009-12-23 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2575377

Extreme Veteran
running2far - 2009-12-23 11:58 AM GetaGrip...they had a team of 10ish last year I guess. One of their members sent me the application. I now one of the members moved to Colordado so maybe its just one slot open. Not real sure. Don't even know when they'll decide or anything....

Cool and good luck.  Never been to that shop, though people speak highly of it.  A buddy bought a P2SL there.  I think he paid too much, but he likes the shop.  I am way north side, I take mine stuff to HigherGear.  Accessories, etc., Performance or Turin.

2009-12-23 3:16 PM

Veteran
Portland
Good luck with the elite team app--fingers crossed for you!

I only ran x-c because all my friends did and we were group of partying running girls (running girls with a party problem or the other way around? LOL). BUT it was a great accidental way to discover that I love running!

Managed to make it to the gym in the basement of our building for a few minutes at lunch- sort of a mini-test run for starting to prioritize exercising at lunch in the new year-- at least until the days get longer!

Happy holidays all and safe travels to those who are hitting the roads/skies!
2009-12-24 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2575748

Extreme Veteran
kerryleigh5 - 2009-12-23 3:16 PM Good luck with the elite team app--fingers crossed for you! I only ran x-c because all my friends did and we were group of partying running girls (running girls with a party problem or the other way around? LOL). BUT it was a great accidental way to discover that I love running! Managed to make it to the gym in the basement of our building for a few minutes at lunch- sort of a mini-test run for starting to prioritize exercising at lunch in the new year-- at least until the days get longer! Happy holidays all and safe travels to those who are hitting the roads/skies!

Nice job getting into the gym.  Workout at lunchtime is good physically and mentally!

Happy holidays to all!
2009-12-25 10:01 PM

over a barrier
My trip to Iowa has been canned. No one can reach grandma so we're cancelling xmas. All the major highways are closed. Looks like the storm will be hitting Chicago later tonight!

Did anyone get any fun Tri stuff for xmas? I got a new cassette for Branson 11-26 and some new running shoes.

What was your favorite gif?

I got a nice run today with a quarter sprint, I was running with my dads lab and she saw some ducks and it was ON!!!!!
2009-12-26 1:26 PM

Veteran
Portland
I didn't get anything tri related this year-- SO that means I get to pick out some new things in the post-xmas sales :-) Must get full length running tights ASAP as my improvising with capris isn't working out...

Favorite gift by far was a pair of Awesome cowboy boots from my husband-- I've wanted cowboy boots for 5 years, but didn't want to spend the money myself on a quality pair, then my sister got a pair last summer and made me really jealous... so I finally got them :-)

Off for a 2nd day of xmas-- my parents and little siblings arrive today (I have a 3 & 4 y.o. brother and sister, who were adopted when my 3 original siblings and I were all grown) so the real chaos begins today :-)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » running2far's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 8