BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2009-12-16 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2561299

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Subject: RE: Stoop Dog's Tri Group - OPEN
Ripper10 - 2009-12-15 11:04 PMPhil, that's a good question.  I am still trying to find then whens and wheres of the local (the western side of the state) races.

And thanks for having me.  I have been patiently waiting for the mentor program to start.

Paul
Check out the 'Races' tab on BT.......good place to start....or Active.com...

2009-12-16 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2563572

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
opps...9 have asked to join...- Paul- Jeff- Brent- Karl- Phil B (PB)- William- Kristen- bluwatersoul- bwingateIntroduce yourself...mingle so to speak....and I'll be looking for each of you to make sure we keep our training logs updated and provide inspiration...I'll be checking in almost daily as I'm very active on my own training log...check it out if you haven't.I would also recommend adding me to your 'friends' list on your blog page so you can keep tabs as well.Have a great night..good training everyone!
2009-12-16 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2563556

User image

Regular

pastoops - 2009-12-16 8:31 PM William,Great. Some southern hospitality would be welcome. Gotta be hot and flat near Houston...great for biking and running!! hope the pool cools you off....sounds like you have a great attitude and are ready to succeed!Swim fitness and working on stroke efficiency is important so you can enjoy the swim and not wear yourself out for the rest of the race. I started off with a swim clinic to improve my overall performance and learn how to swim for fitness. (drills help and any swim instructor will probably work with you on them to improve overall stroke performance) I would absolutely encourage finding a swim clinic or coach son.Let me know when you start looking at races.Phil

Houston is very flat and summer is very hot most days are in the 90's and humidity is brutal. You probably couldn't ask for a better place to train for Kona ...  Its cold right now and I HATE the cold. If its in the mid 50's I'll roll an outdoor workout,  below that I'll run on the Hampster wheel and ride bike to nowhere Laughing.  I'll pick a Sprint after I secure some swim training.  I plan to find a person to give me a few lessons right after the new year. I like the whole Tri concept because it balances out your training and gives you something to do on most days and not get over training injuries from to much running. 

Thanks for having me.

------------------

Edited by SAWFISH50 2009-12-17 8:19 AM
2009-12-16 9:45 PM
in reply to: #2557655

New user

Westmoreland County
Subject: RE: Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED (READY TO ROLL!)
Phil, added you to my training log "friends".  

I am ready!

Sawfish===  "A jelly doughnut, Sir!"

Paul
2009-12-17 5:39 AM

Extreme Veteran

Hi Everyone.  My name is Bruce.  2010 will be my second tri season.  I plan on doing the Mini Mighty Man (super sprint), Long Island Marathon, the Cow Harbor 10k and the Hamptons tri (oly).  I actually have to search my mail for that last one to be sure.  There are a few nearby sprints that I might do at the last minute.

I'm trying to ramp up my training but its been hard with my old job.  I start a new job on 1/4/10 which should give me more family time and training time (and sleep time), so I hope to get my training up.

Family:  I've been married for 10 years to a wonderfully understanding woman.  No kids
Work:  I'm a "second career" attorney.  I've been admitted for two years and have been doing personal injury work for the past 1.5 years.  Starting January I'll be doing employment and discrimination work much closer to home.

Goals: 

• Drop 20 pounds
  • Run the marathon in 3:45
  • Feel more comfortable during my oly swim

Best of luck everyone!

2009-12-17 7:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
Hi all! I am looking forward to this.

Name: Megan/bluwatersoul

bio: I have always loved exercising, but never really good at organized sports. Since turning 40 a few years ago I have consistently looked for different ways to improve my health and well being through physical challenges. Did my first two sprint tri's last year and had an inbelievable good time! Married for 20 years with 4 kids ranging from ages 19-9, plus a huge black lab that refuses to run(with me, anyway)

training: In transition. A recent promotion at work has meant alot more hours inside and less flexibility with my am/pm time....and now when I am off, I am really wiped. Have joined the peach challenges to at least maintain some consistency,but I have to determine a schedule that I can stick to . I do think things should calm somewhat in the next month or two.
I belong to a masters swim group - believe me I need it. I can swim forever but I am as slow as it gets. I love the water but this has not translated into anything, yet. My form is not bad and I plan to stick with my skill sessions.

I have been doing regular sessions on the trainer and if I get my Garmin for xmas will be able to determine my cadence and distance better. I don't mind the trainer as it keeps me consistent.

running is a real love hate thing with me. I detest the treadmill and that is all I have been able to do lately so it is killing me! c25k really helped me a few years ago with consistency and ability, and I am interested to see how I can challenge myself in this area.

2010- I have many goals. I am participating in the Long Island Half Marathon, with the goal of finishing in good shape. I will also do a fun 5k run at JFK airport.  I still have not determined what tri's I want to do beyond the Trek womens that I did last year which is so close to home, but am thinking about a number of sprints in NY and NJ. I plan to finalize those decisions soon.

I want to lose the final 15 which have been up and down with me for the last 2-3 years (this is after losing a big 25 and then coming to a screeching halt). I want to get comfortable with the OWS, and hope to participate with an OWS swim group in the spring. I want to get to know my bike better as a machine - how to take care of it etc.

2009-12-17 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2563871

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Bruuuuuce! (ok, lame Springsteen reference...couldn't help it)

Welcome to season #2! 

Damn work gets in the way of all our fun doesn't it. Looking forward to watching your progress and helping wherever I can.

Phil
2009-12-17 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2563920

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Megan, welcome, welcome, welcome.

Congrats on those first two tris! It takes guts, courage and a lot of motivation to challenge yourself and push your limits. Way to go!

Balancing training and work is always the hardest especially when promotions and good stuff tend to take up the time. 

I'm curious..what are the 'peach challenges'?

I have a Garmin watch and I love it...it's a great tool, so don't hesitate to use it...hopefully Santa will find it in his heart to wrap one up for you.

Sounds like you've set some good goals! Looking forward to helping in any fashion to get you there.

Welcome aboard!

Phil
2009-12-17 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Yo Team Stoop Dog! Here's a good tip I found for managing the start to the race....

Slow and Steady Start Wins the Race

Many people have burned out midway through a race because they started out too fast. Since the first leg of a triathlon is in the water, plan to train and swim at a steady pace that you can sustain. You should train for the exact strategy you will use in your swimming portion. When entering the water, you should run until the water reaches knee-level, as this will maximize your efficiency. Prepare yourself mentally for the psychology of the other racers. Many of the racers will be sprinting from the very beginning of the race. You should stay relaxed and maintain proper breathing while building into your rhythm. While other racers will try to align themselves as close as possible to the first buoy, you should not follow the pack. Instead, feel comfortable starting outside, and then eventually come into the line as you near the first buoy. You can use the faster racers to make your swim more easy by drafting. While not legal for the bike, it is very legal and beneficial during the swim. As the faster racer passes by, slip in just behind them and you can feel the difference in your effort. Do not try and keep their pace, but instead stay with them only until you lose the benefit of their draft. By not over-expending energy in the water, you will be refreshed for the cycle and ready to go.

Phil 'aka' Stoop Dog

2009-12-17 9:16 AM

User image

Regular
Good tips Phil.

In preperation for learning to Properly swim I purchased the "Total Immersion" book. I found lots of positive reviews on this program while researching learning to swim online.  I have only read the first couple of chapters but so far it sounds like a great learning and improvement tool.   Any of you guys read it or use this technique? 
2009-12-17 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2564267

Extreme Veteran
SAWFISH50 - 2009-12-17 10:16 AM Good tips Phil.

In preperation for learning to Properly swim I purchased the "Total Immersion" book. I found lots of positive reviews on this program while researching learning to swim online.  I have only read the first couple of chapters but so far it sounds like a great learning and improvement tool.   Any of you guys read it or use this technique? 

I have the book too.  I've been trying to use it, but I feel a little stupid at the pool doing some of the drills.  I try to incorporate the drills into my swimming and it seems to be helping.  The big thing seems to be balance and keeping your body level.  This is easy enough when lying on your back or side, but once you start moving, its tough.  I'm probably going to break down and get a couple of swim lessons this spring to help me with my form.  A lot of people find they need the video too - just reading about the exercises doesn't work for everyone.

Swimming, from what I have read here, seems to have the breakthrough "AH-HA" moment when everything just starts to click.  I haven't had that yet, but I haven't been as diligent in the pool as I should have.

2009-12-17 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2564370

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
bwingate - 2009-12-17 10:41 AM
SAWFISH50 - 2009-12-17 10:16 AM Good tips Phil.

I have the book too.  I've been trying to use it, but I feel a little stupid at the pool doing some of the drills.  I try to incorporate the drills into my swimming and it seems to be helping.  The big thing seems to be balance and keeping your body level.  This is easy enough when lying on your back or side, but once you start moving, its tough.  I'm probably going to break down and get a couple of swim lessons this spring to help me with my form.  A lot of people find they need the video too - just reading about the exercises doesn't work for everyone.

Swimming, from what I have read here, seems to have the breakthrough "AH-HA" moment when everything just starts to click.  I haven't had that yet, but I haven't been as diligent in the pool as I should have.

A friend of mine gave me the DVD....I watched a bit but haven't really dug in enough....want to though....
2009-12-17 12:16 PM

User image

Regular
I would add "CHi-Running" to the list of good books. I got this book a few years back before I worked out of town for a year and got fat and out of shape.  This book is really good and his meathod works well.  I gained some speed and it made a big differance in running long distances. At the time I go the Chi-Runnign book Running long distances over 5 miles was a new undertaking and it made it much easier to get to 1/2 marathon distance. I use to get shin splints quite often and after reading this book and applying its lowerbody relaxed, leanforward, mid foot strike style I'v never had shin splints again, even this go around starting a running program over weight and out of shape. 

I can answer questions about this book because I have read it a couple of times and applied it with success. 
2009-12-17 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2564267

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
SAWFISH50 - 2009-12-17 9:16 AM Good tips Phil.

I have the TI book and the video. I have also taken a swim class. I have not watched the video yet. TI has assisted me greatly with endurance, but not yet with speed. I could swim almost all day now, albeit quite slowly.

It is awkward for me doing the drills too. I don’t drill myself as often as I should. I have had two specific “aha” moments with TI, one occurred about six months after my class when it finally clicked what the instructor was talking about with keeping my head down, driving into the water, and the whole sculling think. It was quite monumental, hahahaha.

It then got all messed up for me this summer when participating in a tri group, our coach (who used to teach TI) was showing us an entirely different way of swimming. His argument was that you don’t really get faster with TI past a certain point… but I won’t get too much further into that….

Edited by bluwatersoul 2009-12-17 12:25 PM
2009-12-17 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2564053

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
pastoops - 2009-12-17 8:09 AM Megan, welcome, welcome, welcome.

Congrats on those first two tris! It takes guts, courage and a lot of motivation to challenge yourself and push your limits. Way to go!

Balancing training and work is always the hardest especially when promotions and good stuff tend to take up the time. 

I'm curious..what are the 'peach challenges'?

I have a Garmin watch and I love it...it's a great tool, so don't hesitate to use it...hopefully Santa will find it in his heart to wrap one up for you.

Sounds like you've set some good goals! Looking forward to helping in any fashion to get you there.

Welcome aboard!

Phil

I am so looking forward to getting a Garmin, even though I am somewhat challenged by technology. My Husban er I mean Santa knows what's good for him so it will show , I am certain.Wink

The peach challenge , on the Challenge me board, is intended to incite regular exercise. You notice that once you log a workout session in your log, it turns a peach color when you look at the calendar view. The idea is to have the entire month’s calendar appear peach indication workouts on each of those days. It was tough for me last month but honestly the day before and after Thanksgiving it was the ONLY thing that motivated me to move. I anticipate similar challenges next week and around new years, especially if this bracing cold continues.

2009-12-17 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2564855

Extreme Veteran
bluwatersoul - 2009-12-17 1:23 PM

<<snip>>

It is awkward for me doing the drills too. I don’t drill myself as often as I should. I have had two specific “aha” moments with TI, one occurred about six months after my class when it finally clicked what the instructor was talking about with keeping my head down, driving into the water, and the whole sculling think. It was quite monumental, hahahaha.

<<snip>>

Keeping my head down, looking down, resting on your lungs didn't work for me at all.  I tried an opposite approach - what can I do to bring by butt up?  Suck in my gut.  its a little tough and I get sore towards the end of a swim, but it seems to work.

2009-12-17 1:43 PM

User image

Regular

I wonder how hard it would be to use the good TI form in a crazy open water swim like I see on the Kona Ironman's.  From watching lots of the Ironmans's on TV I'd say the Louiville KY swim looks to be the least combatitive because of the way they space each person out at the start and jump off the docks at timed intervals. 

I have a Garmin 301 I got it about a month ago and it is great.  I don't have a cadance attachment for the bike but later if I upgrade from a Mountain Bike to a Tri or road bike I will get one.  THe HR and GPS features are easy to use and work great you'll love it. 

It is raining and about 40 deg here in Houston.  I think tonights work-out will be a Full body brick.  (5) 3 minute boxing rounds 1 minute recovery between rounds  w/16 oz gloves on the double ended bag. Transition to the bike for a steady 30 minute ride and then on the Tread mill for a easy paced 30 minute run.  What do all of you have on schedule for todays workout?

2009-12-17 2:09 PM

Hello All,

I'll have to 3rd the idea of Garmin being GREAT.  I got it last year for christmas and it has helped a ton.  No more having to map out my runs and know when to slow it down or speed it up, although I don't use the heart rate monitor portion because the chest strap slips down all the time.  Really annoying.

Well, I'm in my first training for my first sprint triathlon in May.  I live in Minnesota and I frequent the gym.  Today was 20 degrees, which is way better than the -5 to 5 degrees we've been seeing lately.  Like I said in my first post, I have a couple marathons under my belt, but since the brother in the family is a WAY better runner, I figured I should pick my own sport to adventure into.

I'm 26 and live with my girlfriend and am just looking for a change to stray away from just running and getting constant injuries and finding something "fun" to do at the gym to motivate me so I'm not just doing one thing constantly.  So far so good in the training plan I'm doing.

Well, I'm excited to do this with you guys.  I'll add my training schedule to a log and add you guys as friends.

Brent

2009-12-17 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2564867

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
wow, I had never heard of the peach challenge...very cool..for me it's trying to avoid the yellow plague...those days where i can't get something in...but I also know that rest is good for me...and my wife appreciates the help in the early mornings...
2009-12-17 4:57 PM

New user

Westmoreland County
After a 3 week sinus infection/cold and no training, I am off to the trainer this evening.

The saddle on my MTB was really causing me pain.  Got a new saddle over the weekend.  Hope it feels good after an hour or so.

Hope to get home early tomorrow and hit the road for a 5 mile run.  Man, did I miss the "quiet time" while running. 

Good luck everyone!

Paul

Phil, I like your swimming advice.  I always wondered how physical the swim start was.

2009-12-17 5:06 PM

User image

Regular

Hey Ripper

This may be a dumb question but are you wearing Biking shorts?  That can make a bigger differance than the seat does if you are just riding in regular shorts. 

Oh and one more question "Are we allowed to eat Jelly Donuts Pyle?"   Laughing

2009-12-17 5:19 PM

New user

Westmoreland County
Sawfish, yes I am wearing shorts.  They are MTB shorts, so I am not sure how much difference there is.  I actually feel better with the cheap Huffy seat off an old bike than the one that was on there.  The Huffy seat didn't fit on the post, which was annoying if not dangerous!

I met R Lee this past summer.  What a great guy, down to earth, and funny!

Paul 
2009-12-17 9:54 PM

User image

Regular
I wear Mountain Bike shorts also. I figure I'm riding a mountain bike probably should wear shorts to match LOL!! I'll get regular bike shorts when I get a road or Tri bike.  It must have been really cool to talk with him.  I met Bob Hope and Ann Jillian while I was in the Marines. I was a Aircraft Load planner during Desert Shield and Desert storm and I put them on a plane out of Norton AFB to Middle east for a USO show. They were both really down to earth and cool.  I'm glad you got the seat situation figured out. 
2009-12-18 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
Weekend weather is looking good for my Long run outdoors here in Houston TX, Sunny and mid 50's to low 60's.  Hope all you have a good weekend.

Edited by SAWFISH50 2009-12-18 10:35 AM
2009-12-18 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2566817

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
SAWFISH50 - 2009-12-18 11:34 AMWeekend weather is looking good for my Long run outdoors here in Houston TX, Sunny and mid 50's to low 60's.  Hope all you have a good weekend.

Lucky....ahh weather for Philly is cold and snowy....10-20 inches possibly from 1 am tonight through Sunday morning...if I can't get to Y for my extended spin class tomorrow morning it will be the trainer for me...and maybe the Will Ferrel SNL DVD marathon to keep me interested.anyone else?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  

of 35