Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-12-19 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2558214

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Scottt's Group - Open

OK, so everyone who has asked to be part of the group so far is in!  I'm closing the group. 

I'll update the participant list on my training page in the next day or two.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

We're going to have a blast this winter/spring!

2009-12-19 9:06 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
Scott,

I would like to join your mentor group.  I'am newbie trying to find my way.

Name-  Shawn        srichards428 

Location- Salem, Illinois

History-  I have been a Law Enforcement officer for the past 13 years in Southern Illinois.  I came off midnight shift on January 2009 weighing 243 lbs at 6'01" and 38 years of age.  I looked in the mirror and saw how I vowed not to look when I began this career.  I began lifting, running, and biking six days a week.  I also began a new way of eating (six times a day).  I have now reached 198lbs and I'am trying to maintain...well maybe loose a few more pounds of body fat.  I began searching for a new goal to keep me interested in keeping a healthy lifestyle.  I have been lurking on this site and trying to learn as much as possible.  I'am ready for the next level.

Family-  I'am married and have two boys( 8 and 13).  My wife and children were my inspiration to to get moving and get fit.  My wife has also been given me support and motivation when I need it most. 

Races-  I have 3 sprint tri's planned for the year and several 5k races.  I have long term plans to complete a few oly's next year.     
2009-12-19 9:23 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Scottt's Group - Closed
Scott,

Wow, I thought I was out of luck getting into a group. Thanks

I am 39 years old and a Corrections Officer in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. I have been at this job for 20 years. I am married with two girls ages 14  and 12. I have played hockey and lacrosse and have lifted weights for 20 years. After a knee injury and ACL reconstruction I started road biking to help with my recovery. I now bike as much as I can, but now that it is winter here I have to participate in other activities. I have already started swimming and running indoors and have increased my endurance in both. Currently I am 5' 7" and 178lbs. I am approximately 13% bodyfat and know I can afford to lose weight, both fat and muscle.

I have in my home a spin bike, stationary trainer and a roller. Looking forward to your advice!
2009-12-19 11:12 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-12-20 12:21 AM

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Could Michelle, Steve and Lynn please let me know where you live?  Thanks.

2009-12-20 12:54 AM
in reply to: #2569384

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Alex

Yoga is a great way to get in your core and stretching work.  Just two months ago, I started doing yoga 2-3 times per week as a replacement for my core workouts.  I was getting lax and have found them to be a great change of pace and very motivating.

The exercises in the video linked below are the basis of my stretching routine.  Do not neglect stretching, especially in anything surrounding the hips (i.e. glutes, quads, hamstrings, hip flexors, IT bands).  Cycling and running will definitely try to tighten up this area.  It take work to keep this area flexible.  This flexibility will pay big dividends in injury prevention.  For those with knee or low back issues, you'd be surprised how much these areas are affected by structures thoughout the girdle area (hips).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iY5V0xiiKw

Here is one called The 8 Minute Stretch.  It is a little more complete and not so concentrated around the hips.  I'd slow it down a bit, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79sXwpZUeBw&feature=related

I hope this helps!

Edited by Scottt 2009-12-20 12:57 AM

2009-12-20 11:22 AM

Scottt....what is your preferred method of teaching? Should we start logging our training and then you will review what we have done? A specific training program is difficult for me as I cannot train two days a week. My work schedule is 2 on 4 off. My two days on are 16 hour shifts so there is no way I can run, swim or bike. We do have a fitness room in the jail, but we are not allowed to change into work-out clothes and perform a decent training session. I usually do a few chin-ups, arm curls and bench presses, but nothing really intense. My four days off are usually wide open and I can drive into the city to swim.
2009-12-21 12:33 AM

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

The plan is to have everyone develop an action plan to accomplish the goals they have listed at the top of their training log.  Over the next 7-10 days I will work with you guys to get an appropriate action plan in place.  This may be a BT plan or some other variation which better fits your situation.  I'd like to do this work in our group forum, for the most part.  The reason is so everyone can see the process each individual goes through and the action plan they end up with.  Everyone can learn from seeing the process with the other members.  If there is a specific reason a member wants to work through the process in private messages, I will accomodate, but will encourage them to go public as soon as appropriate.

Yes, Jason, logging all training activities is a vital part of me and the other members being able to see how you are doing and giving advise/encouragement.  Remember, there is a lot of expertise within the group.  I suspect we have some very good swimmers, cyclists and runners within our ranks.  Some of the best advise will likely come from other members.  I know I don't have all the answers.

I have created an area at the top of my training page which lists our group members and provides links to their profiles and our group forum.  This will be an easy way to get to other members of our group.  I encourage everyone to find a couple group members that you have have something in common with and make a point to follow their progress and provide encouragement when/if it looks appropriate.  It is very motivating to know someone is watching your progress and it is always nice to see some inspires in your log the next time you log in.

If you just starting your training, please do not wait until we develop your action plan.  It may take few weeks to get everyone going.  Just remember to start very slowly if you are starting from scratch.  You must give your body time to adapt to the new stresses and stimuli (Adaptation Phase).

In the meantime, don't be shy with your questions.

2009-12-22 12:19 AM
in reply to: #2569083

Scott, if I'm the Steve you asked for living location, I live in beautiful downtown Huron SD.  6-10 inches of snow and Jan is more often than not below zero.  I run outdoors whenever possible, but I think tomorrow I'll run on the indoor track.  Not fun.
2009-12-22 1:16 AM

Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Wow, sounds brutal. I'm spoiled being only limited by daylight. I guess a trainer with be your friend on the bike for a few months.
2009-12-22 11:16 AM

Expert

Look at this group! This is by far the biggest mentor group that I've been a part of. Scott, thanks a lot for taking us all on! I'm sure that it's no easy task following and helping so many people.

Scott, do you recommend that we "group" up with people that are doing the same distance type training, live in the same area or just simply a mix?

Anybody else training for longer distances?

I see there are quite a few people in my area, Orange County. Come say hi.

Right now I'm in Oregon for the holidays, so my training is basically on hold until next week. I'll be getting back home on Sunday and then will look to resume my training plan.

I hope everyone has a good holiday and I look forward to getting the 2010 season off to a strong start!

Jeff

2009-12-22 5:33 PM

Veteran
Central Point
So I'm looking at some of the plans to train to/with and I thinking about using this one, Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week what do you think? It looks like might fit me fairly well as far as I can tell.

Edited by ckallpoints 2009-12-22 5:35 PM
2009-12-22 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2573219

Master
TORONTO
elheffe99 - 2009-12-22 12:16 PM

Look at this group! This is by far the biggest mentor group that I've been a part of. Scott, thanks a lot for taking us all on! I'm sure that it's no easy task following and helping so many people.

Very big group!  I hope everyone opens their profile so we can see your logs and cheer you on!  And let's start moving!!  We aren't waiting for 2010 are we?  Lots of white squares out there!

Jeff - I'm planning to try oly distance this season but am still toying with an HIM... nervously toying... I wonder how different the training is.  Could you set up a training plan for an HIM at the end of the season and switch to an oly and be fine?  Or is training for sprints and oly's different (ie more speed and skill vs. endurance)?

And ditto to Scott! 
2009-12-22 8:56 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by alsi071 2009-12-22 8:57 PM
2009-12-22 9:27 PM
in reply to: #2574443

Master
TORONTO
alsi071 - 2009-12-22 9:56 PM

On December 31, my gym membership will expire. Instead of gym, I will use money for my master swim team membership. I don`t see a huge problem with that except that from January 1, I will not have access to treadmill any more.
I don`t really have any experience with winter running and I don`t even know how cold is too cold to go outside for a safe run. Can anybody help with some suggestions? Anybody here runs in sub-freezing temp?

This is my first year of outdoor running.  At first I found it more difficult than a treadmill because of the varied terrain etc but now I love it and dread the treadmill.  I like that I can go at my own pace vs. programming the speed into the "dreadmill".  I find the temperature changes a challenge.  I'm either overheating or chilled but it's getting better.  I was told to imagine the temperature 10 degrees warmer than it is and dress accordingly.  I never pay attention to temperature so it's easier said than done for me.  I just keep adding layers.  No clue how things will work once the snow kicks in but I've heard thick socks and shoes are good enough - watch your step and layer up.  I've been going out most mornings with running pants, a long sleeve thin layer, a shell, a hat and gloves.  I'm going to change it to a short sleeved top with a fleece and then my shell (just need to wait til xmas to unwrap the fleece!)  This might be obvious advice but don't wear cotton.  I didn't know that and it soaks up the sweat and will guarantee a chil after.  I guess we can compare notes as the weather changes!  Another option is to cough up the extra $$ on the weekends for a one day pass and use the treadmill for your longer run.  Community centres tend to have small workout areas and are reasonably priced.
2009-12-22 9:47 PM

Murrieta
I have to work tomorrow, but then I have a few days off for the holidays.  I plan on updating my training plan this weekend and getting to it.  I found a plan on here I am considering but I won't know until I check this weekend.  It is the http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1802 plan.  8 week plan for a sprint tri I have on 2/27.  I will probably add some swim workouts.

Glad to see this group thing is under way.

Thanks Scott 

2009-12-22 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2574497

Master
TORONTO
divndrt - 2009-12-22 10:47 PM I have to work tomorrow, but then I have a few days off for the holidays.  I plan on updating my training plan this weekend and getting to it.  I found a plan on here I am considering but I won't know until I check this weekend.  It is the http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1802 plan.  8 week plan for a sprint tri I have on 2/27.  I will probably add some swim workouts.

Glad to see this group thing is under way.

Thanks Scott 

I peeked at your blog and saw you've already completed your first tri!  Congrats!  A rush hmmm?
2009-12-23 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2574340

Expert

kimmax - 2009-12-22 5:44 PM

Very big group!  I hope everyone opens their profile so we can see your logs and cheer you on!  And let's start moving!!  We aren't waiting for 2010 are we?  Lots of white squares out there!

Jeff - I'm planning to try oly distance this season but am still toying with an HIM... nervously toying... I wonder how different the training is.  Could you set up a training plan for an HIM at the end of the season and switch to an oly and be fine?  Or is training for sprints and oly's different (ie more speed and skill vs. endurance)?

And ditto to Scott! 

Marcia - I'll attempt to answer your question but I'm guessing that different people would answer it differently. First off I think that whether training for a sprint, oly, HIM or IM there is always skill involved. I also think that at different distances people train for different reasons. For me training for a HIM the first time around, and this time around, are purely for endurance. I'm trying to finish the race, not win. I would imagine that this would apply to you as well since this will be your first go around at the distance. My thinking says that if you're training for a half and decide to do an oly instead you would be fine as you're training at longer distances and should easily be able to drop down to a shorter distance. Whether or not that translates into speed I'm not sure. Scott might be better able to answer that question. I hope this helps...

2009-12-23 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2574185

Expert

ckallpoints - 2009-12-22 3:33 PM So I'm looking at some of the plans to train to/with and I thinking about using this one, Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week what do you think? It looks like might fit me fairly well as far as I can tell.

Craig,

This is the plan I used to train for my first sprint. My running was ahead of the plan, my biking not as good as my run and my swimming was just beginning. I followed the plan and did much better than I thought I would at the race. I definitely recommend using it if you feel that you can do the minimum it asks in the first couple of weeks.

I've used a BT plan for every race that I've done and they have never done me wrong. Personally I feel that if I follow the plan and put in the work than I'm set-up to succeed come race day. I of course like many people have hiccups in my daily life with work and family and have missed chunks of training here and there and have learned over the course of a few years that you can make up a day or two, but that's about it. Move forward and follow your plan and don't beat yourself up over it. Life happens.

Good luck!

2009-12-23 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2575492

Master
TORONTO
elheffe99 - 2009-12-23 1:49 PM

kimmax - 2009-12-22 5:44 PM

And ditto to Scott! 

Marcia - I'll attempt to answer your question but I'm guessing that different people would answer it differently. First off I think that whether training for a sprint, oly, HIM or IM there is always skill involved. I also think that at different distances people train for different reasons. For me training for a HIM the first time around, and this time around, are purely for endurance. I'm trying to finish the race, not win. I would imagine that this would apply to you as well since this will be your first go around at the distance. My thinking says that if you're training for a half and decide to do an oly instead you would be fine as you're training at longer distances and should easily be able to drop down to a shorter distance. Whether or not that translates into speed I'm not sure. Scott might be better able to answer that question. I hope this helps...

This resonates with my thoughts as well.  I'm just trying to go the distance and go at my own pace - finishing strong and feeling as good as one can that has just completed their first HIM.  I fully expect to be a bopper.

My other concerns have to do with fitting the training in - busy lives right?  We'll see.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Edited by kimmax 2009-12-23 1:19 PM
2009-12-23 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2575516

Master
TORONTO
elheffe99 - 2009-12-23 1:58 PM

ckallpoints - 2009-12-22 3:33 PM So I'm looking at some of the plans to train to/with and I thinking about using this one, Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week what do you think? It looks like might fit me fairly well as far as I can tell.

Craig,

This is the plan I used to train for my first sprint. My running was ahead of the plan, my biking not as good as my run and my swimming was just beginning. I followed the plan and did much better than I thought I would at the race. I definitely recommend using it if you feel that you can do the minimum it asks in the first couple of weeks.

I've used a BT plan for every race that I've done and they have never done me wrong. Personally I feel that if I follow the plan and put in the work than I'm set-up to succeed come race day. I of course like many people have hiccups in my daily life with work and family and have missed chunks of training here and there and have learned over the course of a few years that you can make up a day or two, but that's about it. Move forward and follow your plan and don't beat yourself up over it. Life happens.

Good luck!

I agree with Jeff.  My first season I used a plan I thought had "couch potato" in the title and completed three TATs - was really starting from scratch (ie tired after swimming 300m, could barely run 2.5km and longest bike ride was an hour - on my mountain bike!).  Last summer I used the plan above and completed three sprints - the first one was one month after a bike accident that had me down for the count for some time.  So given that - I think it's a good plan.  I use the BT plans as well and find they prepare you to finish.  

2009-12-23 3:40 PM

Scottt... As for an action plan, I have no clue where to start. I have just been developing my swimming technique for now and running when I can. This is a bad time of year for training as I am not at home for Christmas. I am going to hit the gym and try to run and bike as much as I can while on holidays. I guess we can look at a plan for the new year. I entered a couple of runs I did this week on my training log. I'm open to any advice you have.
2009-12-23 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2575516

Veteran
Central Point
elheffe99 - 2009-12-23 10:58 AM

Craig,

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I think I'll use this plan. My bike and swim are ahead of the minimum and I can do a 20 min jog so this should be a good starting place. I suppose If I find that I can go more then the plan calls for I could move up to a week that fits better and move on from there.
2009-12-23 3:56 PM

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Hey guys,

Don't give up hope on me.  I'm wrapping up our pre-holiday business commitments (trying to close the month strong).  I'll dig in with each of you shortly.

Thanks for your patience.

2009-12-23 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2575843

Veteran
Central Point
Scottt - 2009-12-23 1:56 PM

Hey guys,

Don't give up hope on me.  I'm wrapping up our pre-holiday business commitments (trying to close the month strong).  I'll dig in with each of you shortly.

Thanks for your patience.

No problem Scott, I'm really looking forward to this next year. Have a great holiday.

Edited by ckallpoints 2009-12-23 4:27 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scottt's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18