BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2009-12-18 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2566504

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL
eliwashere - 2009-12-18 9:01 AM Hey All,
So, I was thinking about my bike. And it made me wonder about your bikes...
What do you ride? Are you thinking about upgrading? What would you change? Do you not really worry about it.

Here are my details-
Ride: Giant FCR2 2008
First Road Bike I bought in 20 years. Bought it for recreation, not tri's. tri's came later.
Loved it from the moment I got it. However, it is designed as a fitness bike.
I changed the tires, added aero bars and look style pedals.
I like it, and will use it for a couple more seasons.
Thinking about-changing handlebars to drops instead of flat. New Saddle
Future-Maybe a tri bike.....

I currently ride a Cervelo P2K that I bought used last winter as my xmas present.  It's my first tri bike.  I decided that if I was actually going to get back into the sport - I needed something shiny and new to get me excited.  A parent at our school asked if I knew anyone who was looking and after checking with my LBS that it would fit me I promptly bought his bike. *smile*  I had it professionally fitted and it's amazing!

I rode my entry level Devinci Chicane for 8 years before finally taking the plunge.

I think that components and fit are important if you're looking to upgrade and having a bike that fit me definitely improved my cycling abilities. 

2009-12-18 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2566681

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Jack54 - 2009-12-18 9:51 AM Eli,

You sound like me I bought my first road bike in July of last year, first one since I was in college 35 years ago.  Was riding one of my kids fat tire bikes before that.

I bought a trek 1500 off of craigslist (the discovery channel edition). I do want to add aero bars and I'm looking now, but haven't dieiced what I want. Any suggestions.

That's all the bike  I need for now.

Whatever brand you go with - make sure they are fully adjustable.  Don't buy anything that you can't adjust forwards and back as well as the pads being able to move in and out.  It will make finding a comfortable position MUCH easier.

I've always had profile design bars - and I will be swapping my Syntace bars (that came on my tri bike) to Profiles this winter.  (Xmas present...)
2009-12-18 4:21 PM
in reply to: #2566905

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
pdbman - 2009-12-18 11:04 AM
My only bike is my 14 year old Specialized mountain bike.  I plan on getting a good road bike but haven't really decided what to get or even what to look for so any advice you have or resources you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Fit is more important than anything.  I bought used because it gave me more bike for my buck - but if you have ~2000$+ to spend you can look new.  You need at least Shimano 105 components (no Tiagra or Sora) preferably Ultegra or Dura Ace and you will want to check with a bike shop - or use some on-line tools to see what frame size you need to look for.  Then I highly recommend a professional fitting (which is usually included in the purchase of a new bike but that you will have to pay for if you buy used).

I would check out Craiglist and Ebay as well.  You can find some incredible stuff on there.

Edited by Silver_wlf 2009-12-18 4:23 PM
2009-12-18 4:49 PM
in reply to: #2567725

Regular
Silver_wlf - 2009-12-18 4:21 PM
My only bike is my 14 year old Specialized mountain bike.  I plan on getting a good road bike but haven't really decided what to get or even what to look for so any advice you have or resources you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Fit is more important than anything.  I bought used because it gave me more bike for my buck - but if you have ~2000$+ to spend you can look new.  You need at least Shimano 105 components (no Tiagra or Sora) preferably Ultegra or Dura Ace and you will want to check with a bike shop - or use some on-line tools to see what frame size you need to look for.  Then I highly recommend a professional fitting (which is usually included in the purchase of a new bike but that you will have to pay for if you buy used).

I would check out Craiglist and Ebay as well.  You can find some incredible stuff on there.
2009-12-18 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2558725

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
2009 1st half:  Trek 7.3FX (lightweight mountain-bike) with clipons.
2009 2nd half:  Cervelo P2sl (aluminum).
2010: Same Cervelo P2sl with my kickin' new cockpit from a felt B2TTR.

I'm the king of ghetto.

I bought a Cerevelo Soloist 54cm off ebay for $500.  Came with all Dura-Ace.  I rode it for 3 training rides, then saw someone selling the Cervelo P2sl 54cm frame/fork/seatpost only for $350.  Bought it.

Transfered the stuff off the soloist to the P2sl.  Later outfitted the soloist for my wife.  It's freaking great that at 6' 1" i've got a 32" inseam, and my 5'6" wife does too.  Guess which of us is genetically better set for biking and running?  (I still own the swim)

You will all be subjected to photos and absurdly detailed descriptions of my cobbled together yellow bike.  HA HA HA i love the captive audience of a mentor group.  And that's Ferrari yellow.

steve
2009-12-18 9:56 PM
in reply to: #2566681

User image

Master
Jack54 - 2009-12-18 9:51 AM Eli,

You sound like me I bought my first road bike in July of last year, first one since I was in college 35 years ago.  Was riding one of my kids fat tire bikes before that.

I bought a trek 1500 off of craigslist (the discovery channel edition). I do want to add aero bars and I'm looking now, but haven't dieiced what I want. Any suggestions.

That's all the bike  I need for now.

Jack, that is a nice bike. I have profile Design bars with folding pads. I like the, but haven't looked around much. I would also say go for something you can adjust, OR, something cheap on ebay/craigslist. Depends on how handy you feel.

2009-12-18 9:57 PM
in reply to: #2567725

User image

Master
Silver_wlf - 2009-12-18 4:21 PM

As far as getting a bike, I would say there are 2 paths:
USED-Look for a deal either at LBS/Craigslist/Ebay-LBS would be most expensive used, but might give you some help with it. Ebay and Craigslist, you have to know what you want a little more. Also, it is buyer beware.
New/Built-Have a LBS you like and trust find you a new bike or build you a bike from a new or used frame. I know that my local repair shop will build you a bike from one of their used frames. Decent deal there.

As fas as components, I think 105 is a good base, but the tiagra's are OK too. They offer decent value, but they are heavier. also, Road vs. tri is a HUGE debate. If you only use the bike for tri's, get a tri bike. The biggest disadvantage of tri bikes vs. road is that they are usually set up to be a more aggressive position, which means less comfort for long rides. It can be tough to stay in the aero position for 3 + hours, and being up on the bullhorns will have you more streched forward than a traditional road bike.

Edited by eliwashere 2009-12-18 9:57 PM
2009-12-18 9:59 PM
in reply to: #2567713

User image

Master
Silver_wlf - 2009-12-18 4:17 PM
I currently ride a Cervelo P2K that I bought used last winter as my xmas present.  It's my first tri bike.  I decided that if I was actually going to get back into the sport - I needed something shiny and new to get me excited.  A parent at our school asked if I knew anyone who was looking and after checking with my LBS that it would fit me I promptly bought his bike. *smile*  I had it professionally fitted and it's amazing!

I rode my entry level Devinci Chicane for 8 years before finally taking the plunge.

I think that components and fit are important if you're looking to upgrade and having a bike that fit me definitely improved my cycling abilities. 

Jealous. I think cervelo's just look NICE.
I have been browsing ebay/craigslist, but am trying to restrain myself. I don't NEED a bike yet. I would rather reward myself for something like losing the extra weight that would make the bike worth it.
Of course, if a sweet deal comes up.....
2009-12-18 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2567995

User image

Master
EvenOlder - 2009-12-18 7:06 PM 2009 1st half:  Trek 7.3FX (lightweight mountain-bike) with clipons.
2009 2nd half:  Cervelo P2sl (aluminum).
2010: Same Cervelo P2sl with my kickin' new cockpit from a felt B2TTR.

I'm the king of ghetto.

I bought a Cerevelo Soloist 54cm off ebay for $500.  Came with all Dura-Ace.  I rode it for 3 training rides, then saw someone selling the Cervelo P2sl 54cm frame/fork/seatpost only for $350.  Bought it.

Transfered the stuff off the soloist to the P2sl.  Later outfitted the soloist for my wife.  It's freaking great that at 6' 1" i've got a 32" inseam, and my 5'6" wife does too.  Guess which of us is genetically better set for biking and running?  (I still own the swim)

You will all be subjected to photos and absurdly detailed descriptions of my cobbled together yellow bike.  HA HA HA i love the captive audience of a mentor group.  And that's Ferrari yellow.

steve

The Soloist is the bike I always look for. I wasn't sure if I needed the 54 or 56. I am 6ft with 31 inch inseam, so I guess you have answered my question!

My wife is 5ft 8 with 31 inch inseam. It makes running together easy. I am trying to convince her that she want to DU so I can buy a new bike and give her mine.....

Bring on the pics.
2009-12-19 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Hey Silvr_wlf, I saw someone riding your old bike today!
Did a 60 mile ride with my group. The only thing about group rides-always seesm to be as much chatting at breaks as riding. This one we rode 60 in 3:15, but it took us 6 hours with stops and stuff.
Of course, one stop had croissants, so I shouldn't complain.
2009-12-19 6:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
The NBC Kona presentation was very motivating.  I wish they'd spend more time on the elites and less on the "overcoming the odds" people. 

2009-12-20 5:33 PM

User image

Expert
My bike is a 2006 Felt B2 (which I bought off of someone this June who got it for their wife and never built it, so totally brand new but very cheap). It is aluminum with carbon seat stays, seat post, and forkI actually rode a hybrid bike with road tires and aerobars up until July (when my bike was built). I was quite a dork but I could haul pretty well on that thing. Since I built it, I picked all of the components. Mostly ultegra components.I didn't watch Kona but I saw the broadcast they did for Iron Girls in Atlanta..... lots and lots of sob stories and very little triathlon. I would like to see more on "the contendors" so you can follow them as they pursue glory.
2009-12-21 8:49 AM

User image

Master
I have got to get better about looking for "deals" on used bikes!!!. I was having bike envy on my ride this weekend.
I didn't watch Kona, but am thinking they must have online video of it somewhere.
I know I watched the olympic triathlon online last olympics. Just unedited video with little commentary. It was still pretty awesome!

So, here is a question for everyone...Do you tend to follow a strict program, or use the I feel like I need to.... system?

For myself, I like to have a program, pick out my 2 KEY workouts for a week and make sure I get them, and try to make the rest fit as well as possible.

2009-12-21 11:54 AM

Regular

I have been doing the "I feel like it method" up until now.

I hope to make some improvements this year so started looking today at the training programs on this site and plan on strating one the first of the year.  I looked at the free 16 week Olympic distaance plan but no decision has been made yet.

I do have a couple of questions
is it worth becoming a Bronze or Silver member exactly what do you get?
Can I down load a program to my training log?
What type area do you live in?

I live in a very rural area, if I get an early start on the weekend riding I have ridden 20-25 miles and not even seen a car.  With that said it's almost 40 miles to get to a bike shop or a group ride, there is always the good and not so good.

My job does have some great benefits though I work on a large AFB which gives me access to two state of the art gyms, indoor and outdoor pools, running trails most anything you would like to do, I do bring my bike to work at times and ride here on base this is the only time that I have a training partner.  I also get 3 hours per week of paid time to exercise which really helps out a lot.

2009-12-21 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2571206

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Jack54 - 2009-12-21 12:54 PM
1.  is it worth becoming a Bronze or Silver member exactly what do you get?
2. Can I down load a program to my training log?
3. What type area do you live in?

1. I became a bronze member to allow me to:
  a. create and import my own training plans
  b. import my garmin data to my blog
  c. support this awesome community

2. What does this mean?

3. I live in Florida, near the west coast, which is flat as a pancake.  There are no "hill" training days for me.

One of the guys I see a lot at races works at an AFB in tampa - I'm jealous of you guys for the "work-related" training hours you get paid for.
Triathlon is an individual sport, and will involve a lot of individual time training.
2009-12-21 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
I set up training plans to take me to the next race.  I had good success with a 6-day rotation, but find it to be MUCH easier with a week-day based plan, as you see on my log.

Without the accountability of "checking off" each workout each day, I don't train at all.

I did find out on my last plan that I absolutely do not do 2 workouts in 1 day.  I'd tried a swim and run day, but that was inevitably a swim and skip the run day.

Bricks, however, I do no problem on sundays.

Anyone at bronze level or up who wants help designing/creating a .csv file to import to your training plan - just let me know.  I've learned the arcane science of it.  Just pm me and we'll get email to exchange files.

Cheers,
steve

2009-12-21 6:28 PM
in reply to: #2571919

Regular

Thanks for the reply.  that's what I was asking can you down load training plans to you training logs.  I think that the Bronze level is good for me.  After I join up I may need you help importing the training program.

Thanks in Advance

2009-12-22 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
I am very much a train like I feel like kind of person.  I like having the flexibility.  I still set goals and don't typically ever start a workout without a goal for that individual workout.  I think I may try to do a better job of writing down my goals though so it is harder to let them drift as I will be training for longer events where training is more critical.  I may do the bronze level just so I can get my planned and actual training in one place.

I'm definitely excited for this next season.  I feel like I've found good people to train with so there is a mix of hard work and social fun (the only chatty breaks we have are during stretching or at lights on a group ride).  I'm working on my limiter and definitely feel like I'm making progress as I look forward to my weekend runs instead of dreading them.  I just need to figure out the nutrition/hydration stuff and it should be a fun season.

- Katie
2009-12-22 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Jack, looks like EvenOlder got you a good answer. I like the training plans at bronze, and the ability to upload a plan.

3 hours of training is a good place to be for each week. I know that for myself, I usually consider 3 workouts a week to be maintenance. If I want to improve, I need 4 or more.
2009-12-22 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2572539

User image

Master
crazyalaskian - 2009-12-22 7:18 AM I am very much a train like I feel like kind of person.  I like having the flexibility.  I still set goals and don't typically ever start a workout without a goal for that individual workout.  I think I may try to do a better job of writing down my goals though so it is harder to let them drift as I will be training for longer events where training is more critical.  I may do the bronze level just so I can get my planned and actual training in one place.

I'm definitely excited for this next season.  I feel like I've found good people to train with so there is a mix of hard work and social fun (the only chatty breaks we have are during stretching or at lights on a group ride).  I'm working on my limiter and definitely feel like I'm making progress as I look forward to my weekend runs instead of dreading them.  I just need to figure out the nutrition/hydration stuff and it should be a fun season.

- Katie

Katie,
I am the same way, but having a plan did help me stay focused when planning for my marathon and half-iron. Finding a group is fun as well. I tend to try to make it to one group workout every week or so, just for the social aspect. I tend to be more efficient with my training when I work out solo.
2009-12-22 12:04 PM

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA
I was excited when I read that we could import a csv file to the BT logs. I already have several plans I created in spreadsheets and thought I would be able to import them. I just tried the csv import and am running into a problem.  First, I just have the free membership and am debating getting a paid membership at some level but haven't decided which features I would really use and if its worth it.  I'm thinking the problem I am having may be because I have a free membership.

Here's what I did. I created a csv test and uploaded it to BT.  Everything went fine. Well since I don't have a paid membership, I don't have a button to import into the planned log, only the actual log. When I went to import it, I got a message "When importing actual log data, you may not import into the future." I imported it starting with a date in the past and it went fine as long as it ends before today's date. It looks like I won't be able to import training plans unless I upgrade to a paid membership.  Am I understanding this correctly or is there something else I can do?

2009-12-22 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
I haven't tried to import a csv file but I did figure out that you don't get any access to the planned log with a free membership.  I just got a bronze membership (as in today) and now I can set up planned training.

Eli,
I'm going to do the unstructured approach until my Olympic and then try to follow a set plan in preparation for the HIM.  I think it is a safe bet that it is pretty easy to get off course significantly when training for the longer distance stuff.
2009-12-22 6:08 PM
in reply to: #2573656

User image

Master

Paul,
Yes, the paid membership is required to import a training plan into the log. It is only worth it if you use it, but I am a numbers kind of guy, so I like it.

Katie,
For my olympic, I used one of the BT plans, but I was actually training for a marathon at the same time. I got in more running, and less biking, than the plan, but it worked out OK. I think I could have used at least one longer brick before the Oly to test out my nutrition. I ran out of gas on the run. However, it was HOT, so that may have had something to do with it.
I would say that going unstructured will work, but I needed to KNOW I could do the distance, so I made sure to get a couple of workouts that totaled the amount of time I expected for the OLY. That worked out OK.

2009-12-23 5:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Interesting site:
http://www.attackpoint.org/trainingpaces.jsp?dist=3.1&units=miles&time=2425

You enter a recent running race performance, and it tells you what you should be pacing yourself in training.  The link defaults to my most recent 5k time, showing you the format, but put in your own times.

What is of note is that my easy/long time is much slower than I'd thought I should go, while my tempo/interval times mean I'll be pushing harder.

Kind of like the classic Lance Armstrong quote, paraphrased "most people don't go slow enough on slow days, or hard enough on hard days."

Thoughts about your times?
steve

Edited by EvenOlder 2009-12-23 5:06 PM
2009-12-23 6:20 PM

User image

Master

This is so true for me.
I have been working this year on going harder on hard days. It pays off. I went from avg. 11 minute miles to avg. 9 min miles.
I used the numbers from the FIRST book, Run Less, Run Faster, but I will check out the site.

Thanks!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL Rss Feed  

of 13