BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's Group- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-01-01 6:38 AM
in reply to: #2574223

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's Group- FULL
Happy New Year, everyone! Actually, Ron, I gave up coffee a couple of weeks ago so I usually start on the water right when I get up. I have been a heavy water drinker for about 10 years now. I haven't had any method to the madness lately because I've been off work for the Christmas vacation. You could say my "drinking problem" has gotten worse since I've been off. I've definately been drinking more water since my coffee sobriety............Dang Matt, your an animal!!! Read your race log for Redman, great job! I didn't realize it was in OKC, I'm from Oklahoma. Funny thing, as I was reading that, the date sounded familiar and realized I was there that Sat. am. We were all headed to Norman to watch the OU/Tulsa game and I was thinking, Man, this is gonna suck sitting in the stands watching this game in this rain! I now live in Az., it doesn't rain like that here. I can't imagine competing in that!

2010-01-02 10:49 AM

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
Happy new year all.  Just back from 2 nights in a wigwam in the Scotttish Highlands!  Cold but fun!!!  Ready for the start of another week in tritraining land.
2010-01-02 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2589139

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
fifetriguy - 2010-01-02 9:49 AMHappy new year all.  Just back from 2 nights in a wigwam in the Scotttish Highlands!  Cold but fun!!!  Ready for the start of another week in tritraining land.
Nice! Where in the highlands were you at? My neighbor is from Inverness. I was there once- 1996ish- I would love to go back!

How is everyones training coming along?
2010-01-02 3:33 PM

User image

Matt & Forum group - Happy New Year.  I am starting to put together my training plan for my first 70.3 in June.  Any recommendations on training programs you recommend?  I also signed up for the Masters swim class to help with my technique which is poor at best.

Andy 
2010-01-02 7:14 PM

Hi all,

My "training" is at a bit of a standstill until I get back up to school (I'm a grad student) and a normal schedule next week.

What races are people going for in the New Year? I think I might try my hand at an OWS in the Spring. And I'd like to get in a ten miler or at least a 10k before the summer.

I'm relocating to NC beginning in May. Any Tar Heels around here?

2010-01-03 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2589389

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
Hi Matt The wigwams were at a place called Strathfillan about 50 miles from Fort William between Tyndrum and Crianlarich.  Good time but cold.....our beers were freezing in the bottle when we were standing around the campfire!!!

2010-01-03 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2589524

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
AMA168 - 2010-01-02 2:33 PMMatt & Forum group - Happy New Year.  I am starting to put together my training plan for my first 70.3 in June.  Any recommendations on training programs you recommend?  I also signed up for the Masters swim class to help with my technique which is poor at best.

Andy 
Awesome, Andy! What race are you doing?
I'd highly recommend you pick up a copy of the Joe Friel "Triathlete's Training Bible". I bought it and I can't put it down! Last year for REDMAN 70.3 I used Gail Bernhardt's book. It's pretty good, there are a ton of training plans in there.
Right now I'm using the BT silver member program for winter maintenance. I'm still recovering from foot surgery so my running is nowhere close to where it needs to be. I'm planning on doing Ironman KS on 6/7, so I'm hoping in the next four weeks to get my butt in high running gear. My cycling and swimming are good, so that helps me.

Let me know if you need swim workouts- I swam from 4th grade through college, still try to get in 7,000 meters a week or so!

2010-01-03 7:34 PM

User image

Matt,

I did pick up the Tri Bible at the Library last week and am pouring through the info.  I am planning to do the Kansas 70.3 in June since I live so close and am considering the Branson 70.3 in September.  I am somewhat concerned with my lack of experience at this distance but am excited to follow a solid training program over the next 6 months.  

As for swimming, I just enrolled in a master swim class that goes 3 days per week. The coach is a D2 swimmer with 30 years of coaching...but I would like any help on swim workouts.  Do you use the Friel Bible workouts?  I have only started swimming last year...so I am only focused on freestyle.  What are your thoughts on doing other swims as part of training?  

Andy

2010-01-03 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2591364

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
AMA168 - 2010-01-03 6:34 PMMatt,

I did pick up the Tri Bible at the Library last week and am pouring through the info.  I am planning to do the Kansas 70.3 in June since I live so close and am considering the Branson 70.3 in September.  I am somewhat concerned with my lack of experience at this distance but am excited to follow a solid training program over the next 6 months.  

As for swimming, I just enrolled in a master swim class that goes 3 days per week. The coach is a D2 swimmer with 30 years of coaching...but I would like any help on swim workouts.  Do you use the Friel Bible workouts?  I have only started swimming last year...so I am only focused on freestyle.  What are your thoughts on doing other swims as part of training?  

Andy

Nice, if everything goes according to plan I'll see you @ IMKS.

For swimming I've been relying lately on the BT swim workouts that come with the silver membership (and I'm NOT trying to upsell anyone here). I also like:

http://www.swimplan.com

Hard to believe that something this good is free. Of course, you don't really get a lot of coaching per se, either. As far as stroke work, I'd say stick to freestyle for training. Unless you're going to do the swim in butterfly or something
Masters programs are really valuable for the feedback you get from the coaches, and they have drills for you to do that will improve your stroke. I personally don't participate in masters- but that's because of work/family commitments. I think you'll enjoy this sport a lot more if you get good at the swim. Sounds like you are taking all the right steps, too!

2010-01-04 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2587404

User image

Champion
Gold member
todds,

Drinking water for the health benefits or is it due to actual thirst?  I would do a test for a few weeks and drink water when you are genuinely thirsty to see if that helps.  Of course don't load up on water on the day of your running.  Maybe make a spreadsheet and track when and how much you drink and try to relate that to having to pee on the run while with data from how you are drinking now to less water consumption (genuine thirst). 

todds - 2010-01-01 7:38 AM Actually, Ron, I gave up coffee a couple of weeks ago so I usually start on the water right when I get up. I have been a heavy water drinker for about 10 years now. I haven't had any method to the madness lately because I've been off work for the Christmas vacation. You could say my "drinking problem" has gotten worse since I've been off. I've definately been drinking more water since my coffee sobriety............!
2010-01-05 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2592776

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Ron, I agree completely- great advice.

I also found this online this morning- this could be of interest to everyone here.  Gale Bernhardt is the best!
http://bit.ly/587tYy

2010-01-05 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.

Yeah, yer probably right. I usually kill a gallon during an 8 hr shift at work. I suffer from sciatica from time to time and that thing will let you know when your dehydrated! I just got in the habit of drinking alot of water. I've been off soda for about ten years, drink tea once in awhile during the summer and kicked my coffee habit about 3 weeks ago. I think I did up my water when I kicked the coffee and hadn't realized it. I am doing my 1st oly in March and it's a pool swim. The following weekend there is a sprint that has an OWS I am thinking of  entering. Any advice on what to do that week between? I don't want to do too much/not enuf!! I wanted my 1st OWS to be in a sprint. I don't think it should be a problem as I've swam in just about anything/everywhere throughout my life. I'm pretty comfortable in the water, but still, I haven't done one yet and I get the feeling it's not gonna compare to any water experience I've had!!!!

2010-01-07 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Hi everyone,

Seems pretty quiet in here.  I see our page views growing every day, so don't be a lurker!  If you put your name in before I closed the group, you're in.  Don't be afraid to introduce yourself and share your goals.
2010-01-08 3:00 PM

This is a quiet group! Is anybody on here on Twitter?

2010-01-09 4:24 AM
in reply to: #2603708

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
Yes I'm fifetriguy on twitter.
2010-01-09 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2604474

User image

Matt & Team,

I am officially signed up for 2 70.3's next year: KS and the Branson Race.  I couldn't pass up the deal to sign up for both races.  I am still trying to figure out a plan and have been studying the Friel Bible but am also considering using the BT program but I am conflicted.  Being this is my second year, and being as slow as I am, I think following any program would be beneficial at this time.

Any thoughts from the team on a good 70.3 training plan for a novice?

Andy 

2010-01-09 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2604829

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
AMA168 - 2010-01-09 10:26 AM

Matt & Team,

I am officially signed up for 2 70.3's next year: KS and the Branson Race.  I couldn't pass up the deal to sign up for both races.  I am still trying to figure out a plan and have been studying the Friel Bible but am also considering using the BT program but I am conflicted.  Being this is my second year, and being as slow as I am, I think following any program would be beneficial at this time.

Any thoughts from the team on a good 70.3 training plan for a novice?
Andy, this is great news!

So we're looking @ about 6 months to train for KS.  First thing you need to do is build a base.  Are you happy with where your weight is at?  Secondly, how much of a strength program are you used to?  Third (and this is most important) how much time do you have to train every week?  I'd highly, highly recommend you integrate some strength training if you haven't yet.  The benefits pay dividends and it also reduces your chances of injury down the road.  And maybe most important, ramp up your training volume SLOWLY.  You don't want to lose time due to nagging injuries.  See you @ IMKS!

2010-01-10 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida

Good Morning everyone, i was wondering if anybody had any ideas as to where i could get an affordable bike trainer for these frigid winters, i went for a ride yesterday, it was about 15 - 20 degrees out and my water froze. Laughing I am only doing sprints this year hoping to do Oly's next year. Last year was my first season doing Tri's and i love it but still in process of losing weight and learning the swim. Thanks..

2010-01-10 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Bike Nashbar has some very affordable trainers. You could move to Az., it was about 42 when I left for La Fitness this am. and about 52 when I got back. I was whining about the cold, guess I need to quit whining!! Lol!
2010-01-10 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2605943

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
I bought a cycle ops fluid2 just b4 xmas and love it!!  This is my first one though so I have nothing to compare it with ref performance or noise.  Did 150 mins on it this morning mixing steady state with a 5 mile TT and 3 min efforts
.  So far I have gotten through the Final D thrillogy now started on the rocky 5!!!
2010-01-10 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2605943

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
todds - 2010-01-10 12:36 PM Bike Nashbar has some very affordable trainers. You could move to Az., it was about 42 when I left for La Fitness this am. and about 52 when I got back. I was whining about the cold, guess I need to quit whining!! Lol!

Now Arizona would be nice... It will have to wait atleast 6 yrs till i am eligible for retirement, thank god for 20 and out !!!
Wife says she doesnt care where we go as long as she is warm.. lol I will have to do some shopping around.

2010-01-10 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2605779

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Luby162 - 2010-01-10 8:23 AM

Good Morning everyone, i was wondering if anybody had any ideas as to where i could get an affordable bike trainer for these frigid winters, i went for a ride yesterday, it was about 15 - 20 degrees out and my water froze. Laughing I am only doing sprints this year hoping to do Oly's next year. Last year was my first season doing Tri's and i love it but still in process of losing weight and learning the swim. Thanks..

Not just for trainers, but everything else too- Craigslist. I picked up a $600 Kurt Kinetic trainer on there along with a couple videos and a cadence sensor for $200 a few years back. I love the Kinetic trainer if you need an endorsement. Ebay is also a good place to look. Unfortunately this is the time of year when fitness equipment is at its most expensive.
2010-01-13 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
Thanks everybody for your help, i actually just bought one , never used, for 100 bucks will be using it tonite for first time.
Stay Safe

2010-01-15 11:22 AM

Hello Matt and everyone.  I just sent my form in for my first tri on January 31.  It's a supersprint reverse tri (3k, 6 miles, 400 meters).  I'm confident I can do all those distances without issue as I have been doing all 3 disciplines in training.   I do however, have some questions.

The forecast looks like to be high 30s/low 40s at race time.  I bike more than the other 2 areas and if I bike in this kind of weather, I normally wear running type tights and loose fighting cycling shorts.  But since the tights are under the shorts, I need a better set-up to get through the transitions.  Any suggestions?

Any other beginner tips?  As I said, I know I can do all 3 distances easily but worried about any of nuances I don't know/understand in doing my first tri.

Thanks for any advice! 

Edited by jeffjohnson9 2010-01-15 11:22 AM
2010-01-16 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2615920

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Nice, Jeff- good luck! And welcome to the wonderful world of Triathlon! Where are you doing a reverse tri @? That sounds interesting- I'd love to get the run over with first if I could.
As for the clothing, I'd say just wear the bike shorts over the tights for the run, then you'll do your reverse T1 faster. As this is your first race, don't sweat the little stuff! How are you going to swim in 40 degree weather? Is it a pool swim?

Edited by mcgilmartin 2010-01-16 3:37 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's Group- FULL Rss Feed  

of 4