BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Twylite's Trying for weight loss group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2009-12-28 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2581121

Subject: RE: Twylite's Trying for weight loss group OPEN
Woo hoo! Thanks so much for letting me in right before the close. I look forward to learning from you and being part of this group.

2009-12-28 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2578050

User image

Louisiana
Subject: RE: Twylite's Trying for weight loss group CLOSED

Congrats to all of you for caring enough about yourselves to try something new and maybe a little scary. You are all so motivated to change. That's inspiring.

Normally, I won't be watching the thread this closely, but I'll check in daily. I just wanted to meet everyone and cut it off when we reached the right number and mix.

OK, here's your first challenge. Go to sleep! Rest is the 4th dicipline of training. Tomorrow, I'll post a list of the group, so you can add all to your blogs. Yes, you need to blog so I can help you. I'll add you to mine, after I sleep.

Til tomorrow.....

2009-12-28 9:44 PM

Freeland
I am working and would get in trouble if I sleep. LOL  Will sleep some tomorrow and then there is always things to do.  I am very excited about this group and think it is going to be a lot of fun and great accomplishments going on.  Lets get to it.   Smile

Jon
2009-12-29 1:42 AM

Seattle
I woul dlike to join your group as well.  I see several similarities with the group in just the first few posts. 

I am an office manager for an acupuncturist but have worked as an LPN and surgical tech in the past.   Married almost 3 years with 2 grown children.  Turned 45 this past summer.

I have run off an on over the past few years but never run a whole mile (without walking).  this past fall I decided to get serious with my weightloss and then got the hair brained idea to run a
5K. Haven't found one as of yet, but am still looking.  In the meantime I have increased my walking/running from 1 mile to 3 miles using a couch to 5k plan.   Currently on week 3.

I have lost 12 pounds since thanksgiving and am going for 6 more before I leave for Morocco Jan 14th.   My husband is from there, and has been visiting family since Thanksgiving.  I intend to have a suprise for him Sealed  I haven't let him see me on webcam since he left.

Looking forward to training with you folks.

Maggie

2009-12-29 5:52 AM
in reply to: #2581376

User image

Louisiana

poohsgirl724 - 2009-12-29 1:42 AM I woul dlike to join your group as well.  I see several similarities with the group in just the first few posts. 

I am an office manager for an acupuncturist but have worked as an LPN and surgical tech in the past.   Married almost 3 years with 2 grown children.  Turned 45 this past summer.

I have run off an on over the past few years but never run a whole mile (without walking).  this past fall I decided to get serious with my weightloss and then got the hair brained idea to run a
5K. Haven't found one as of yet, but am still looking.  In the meantime I have increased my walking/running from 1 mile to 3 miles using a couch to 5k plan.   Currently on week 3.

I have lost 12 pounds since thanksgiving and am going for 6 more before I leave for Morocco Jan 14th.   My husband is from there, and has been visiting family since Thanksgiving.  I intend to have a suprise for him Sealed  I haven't let him see me on webcam since he left.

Looking forward to training with you folks.

Maggie

How can I leave you out there in the cold, Maggie? Come on in. I closed the door last PM, but it seems we're still listed as open under open groups. You're accomplishments are amazing already. Those first few miles are the hardest. And you're one of the few I know who has lost weight since Thanksgiving. We need that kind of determination for inspiration.

Welcome. We'll enjoy getting to know you. Don't forget us when you go "off on the road to Morocco!"

2009-12-29 6:03 AM

User image

Louisiana

Ok, you should be waking up before long, except for Jon, and the west coast folks, who I hope are sleeping. I'll get the list of members posted here later today. In the meantime, today, get to know your training log. It's where you will record your goals, your plan, your workouts, and your triumphs. Record your weight and measurements as soon as possible, preferably today. When I post the list of members, add them to your friends list so you can inspire or PM them. You have to allow your friends to view your blog. Don't forget to add me! If you have questions, that's what I'm here for.

A word about blogs...mostly they are for you. You are all starting an amazing journey. Take some notes along the way. You'll want to look back at the triumphs and tragedys later. There is a place where you can put personal notes if you choose. Mine dates back to 2007. It was written for me, so keep that in mind if you search back. I wasn't planning to mentor a group back in 2007.

Each day, I'll post here to get us all on the right page. I'll check your training logs to see what's happening. Ok, gotta run...literally. Have a workout to do, then off to work.

2009-12-29 6:38 AM
in reply to: #2580999

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
twylite148 - 2009-12-28 8:37 PM

OK, you're gonna figure this out pretty soon, anyway, but I'm pretty rural here. Sooooo what's a bento lunch box? We have brown bags, lunch boxes, lunch pails, Wal-mart bags with lunch fixings, but I'm not so sure about a bento lunch box. Fill me in sister.

Anyway, welcome counselor!

A bento box is a little multi-compartment food container, inspired by the Japanese. It is supposed to be great for portion control. You load one part with carbs, the rest with protein and veggies. If you load it right, the box is supposed to approximate the number of calories as it has ml of space. Plus they're cute and colorful and supposed to make you happy. (I'm a little too old for the Hello Kitty versions, but mine is turquoise blue.)

Mine's a little smaller than this one:

2009-12-29 8:29 AM

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Twylite,

I stumbled on this site and came across your mentor group.  One post says your group is open and another says closed.  Nothing ventured.. nothing gained.  I thought I would ask if it is too late to get in your group.

Your dedication to getting fit and losing weight really made me think.   I joined WW in mid October - the first time I have ever tried a weight loss, life changing program.  I am dedicated and seeing physical changes but the weight is slow to come off.  I started at 256 and 9 weeks later am at 248.  I know the program works and have been very committed to learning the system.

I live north of Chicago, am a 50 year old male and if your group is open would love to join.

If so, I will write more.  If not, I will move on.

Look forward to your response.

Daniel
2009-12-29 8:40 AM

Hi Twylite!I'm hoping it's not too late to join! All of the messages from the entire group are so inspiring! I am a 31 year old mom of 3 boys (ages 15, 9 & 4). My oldest was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in May 08, while my husband and I were training with him to run the Derby half-marathon. We have since run the St. Jude full in Dec. 08. Being a mom I'm sure you know how hard it is to find time for yourself. My ultimate goal in all of this is to be healthy and get the weight off. Someday, I want to do an ironman. I am hoping for a half this year. Thank you,Sarah
2009-12-29 8:49 AM

User image

New user

I really hope you still have room in your group!! I think a mentor is definitely what I need to answer my questions and help me on my way to be coming a triathlete!

NAME: Tracy

STORY: I recently became engaged to the most wonderful man in the world. He is super athletic and so is his family. He came in 9th overall in his first triathlon - kinda made me feel ill! (His parents are both in their 60s and take part in triathlons regularly and usually win their age group with ease.) I have always been active in some way. I danced for 18 years and then started regular exercise routines, but nothing too trying. So, I decided to make my future husband proud (and myself!) and try my hardest to complete a triathlon. (Plus I figured the training couldn't hurt with reaching my wedding day weight goals!)

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged.

CURRENT TRAINING: Spin class a couple times a week, running a few days a week, aerobics classes. I actually have a really bad relationship with running. It defeats me completely and is probably my biggest fear going into this!

2009 RACES: A couple of 5ks and the swim leg of a triathlon relay team.

2010 RACES:  Jetton Triathlon - May 8, 2010. (Maybe a another one, if I can get past my running fear!)

I am really excited to be a part of something like this. Being a part of a team last year made me feel like I am missing out on a wonderful community that is full of people who love to be outdoors and active. I want to be a member of that community! (And I will try my hardest to remember that when silly tv shows are calling me to the couch when I should be training! I guess that is what DVR is for!)
2009-12-29 9:53 AM

User image

Louisiana

Ok, here's the deal. Below is the list of official "Twylite's trying for weight loss group". 

twylite148 - Carol, 40ish
mmgoldenb - Marla, 41
guticur - FG 41
twinstrimom - Mary, 43
beckytengs - Becky, 27
enders_shadow - Kristen, 37
jwheat - Jon, 34
Kimmerz321 - Kim, 31
youngatheart - Carol, 60
genie4today - Cassie,30
poohsgirl724 - Maggie,45
longrun26 - Daniel, 50
girldetermined31 - Sarah
tashakelford - Tracy

To these people I'm committed for 90 days of mentoring, starting 1/1/10. I'll give you guidance to meet your goals, send you in the right direction to get your questions answered, check on you when you wander off, give you a sweaty hug when things aren't going right, and cheer for you at the finish line

I can't commit to more and provide the quality interaction I want to see happen here. Now, anyone else is welcome to our forum, posting, sharing, asking questions, getting hugs if needed. Come on in. The water's warm here. I just hope you understand that I may not be able to consistently keep up with you.

That's my compromise.

2009-12-29 9:56 AM

User image

Louisiana

Had to get that last post up before anyone else popped in. OK folks, here's homework for today.

Go to your training log and

1. Add the list of forum members to your friends list so we can interact.

2. Put something in you blog today, so I know you have found it and know how to access it.

3. Weigh yourself and record the weight somewhere, preferably in you blog.

Have a wonderful day, and I'll check on you later.

2009-12-29 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2581442

User image

Louisiana

enders_shadow - 2009-12-29 6:38 AM
twylite148 - 2009-12-28 8:37 PM

OK, you're gonna figure this out pretty soon, anyway, but I'm pretty rural here. Sooooo what's a bento lunch box? We have brown bags, lunch boxes, lunch pails, Wal-mart bags with lunch fixings, but I'm not so sure about a bento lunch box. Fill me in sister.

Anyway, welcome counselor!

A bento box is a little multi-compartment food container, inspired by the Japanese. It is supposed to be great for portion control. You load one part with carbs, the rest with protein and veggies. If you load it right, the box is supposed to approximate the number of calories as it has ml of space. Plus they're cute and colorful and supposed to make you happy. (I'm a little too old for the Hello Kitty versions, but mine is turquoise blue.) Mine's a little smaller than this one:

Kristin, I love this thing!!! I've got to get one. Thanks for posting this.

2009-12-29 1:55 PM

Veteran
Oh I am totally getting a bento box!  Love the idea. 
2009-12-29 4:52 PM
in reply to: #2581622

User image

Louisiana

longrun26 - 2009-12-29 8:29 AM Twylite,

I stumbled on this site and came across your mentor group.  One post says your group is open and another says closed.  Nothing ventured.. nothing gained.  I thought I would ask if it is too late to get in your group.

Your dedication to getting fit and losing weight really made me think.   I joined WW in mid October - the first time I have ever tried a weight loss, life changing program.  I am dedicated and seeing physical changes but the weight is slow to come off.  I started at 256 and 9 weeks later am at 248.  I know the program works and have been very committed to learning the system.

I live north of Chicago, am a 50 year old male and if your group is open would love to join.

If so, I will write more.  If not, I will move on.

Look forward to your response.

Daniel

Welcome Daniel. I'd love another WW member. We can talk points! Sorry for the delayed welcome. Caught your post just as my day was beginning. WW works. It's the most healthy long-term program I've found. They really do their homework. So hang in there with me and we'll both get to goal.

2009-12-29 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2581647

User image

Louisiana

girldetermined31 - 2009-12-29 8:40 AM Hi Twylite!I'm hoping it's not too late to join! All of the messages from the entire group are so inspiring! I am a 31 year old mom of 3 boys (ages 15, 9 & 4). My oldest was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in May 08, while my husband and I were training with him to run the Derby half-marathon. We have since run the St. Jude full in Dec. 08. Being a mom I'm sure you know how hard it is to find time for yourself. My ultimate goal in all of this is to be healthy and get the weight off. Someday, I want to do an ironman. I am hoping for a half this year. Thank you,Sarah

I've always said there is a special place in heaven for the mom of 3 boys. (I have 3, too, + 2 girls). I know you are very busy. Congrats on running the St. Jude full. You must be a very determined lady (Oh, that's your name). Anyway, I'd love to have your marathon experience in the group. And you'll have to keep us up on the osteosarc.

Welcome aboard!

2009-12-29 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2581677

User image

Louisiana

tashackelford - 2009-12-29 8:49 AM

I really hope you still have room in your group!! I think a mentor is definitely what I need to answer my questions and help me on my way to be coming a triathlete!

NAME: Tracy

STORY: I recently became engaged to the most wonderful man in the world. He is super athletic and so is his family. He came in 9th overall in his first triathlon - kinda made me feel ill! (His parents are both in their 60s and take part in triathlons regularly and usually win their age group with ease.) I have always been active in some way. I danced for 18 years and then started regular exercise routines, but nothing too trying. So, I decided to make my future husband proud (and myself!) and try my hardest to complete a triathlon. (Plus I figured the training couldn't hurt with reaching my wedding day weight goals!)

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged.

CURRENT TRAINING: Spin class a couple times a week, running a few days a week, aerobics classes. I actually have a really bad relationship with running. It defeats me completely and is probably my biggest fear going into this!

2009 RACES: A couple of 5ks and the swim leg of a triathlon relay team.

2010 RACES:  Jetton Triathlon - May 8, 2010. (Maybe a another one, if I can get past my running fear!)

I am really excited to be a part of something like this. Being a part of a team last year made me feel like I am missing out on a wonderful community that is full of people who love to be outdoors and active. I want to be a member of that community! (And I will try my hardest to remember that when silly tv shows are calling me to the couch when I should be training! I guess that is what DVR is for!)

Welcome Tracy. You are bride to be #2! What an exciting family you have found to join. Sounds like you will already get plenty of advice. I'll be here to help you keep it real. Glad you dove in with us.

2009-12-29 5:12 PM

User image

Louisiana

Ok folks. Looks like most of you have found your logs and know how to add friends. Check in on each other and help each other out. You each have valuable pieces of knowledge. Here's your next task:

Set a goal for the next 3 months. Maybe it's getting ready for a race, or weight loss, or a level of fitness, or just to do something consistently. I have to know where you want to go to know how to get you there. I'll help you keep it real. Use this forum to discuss your goals. Get help from each other. Ask your questions here. There is so much experience and knowledge, we can all benefit from discussion.

So here's the homework:

1. My 3 month goal is:_____________________

2. In order to achieve it, I will do...

a._______________________

b.________________________

c.________________________

3. I think the difficulty in reaching my goal will be ______________________________.

OK, eveyone check in.

2009-12-29 6:49 PM
in reply to: #2582824

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Hello,

Daniel here...

I need some help!  How do you add friends?  I even had my two sons help me and none of us could figure this out.  I go to "Training Logs" but am unable to find where to add "friends."  I can log my workouts... not perfectly but getting there.  I added a few of my races...  Need friends!

Thanks in advance for your help.  This is a fun and exciting web site.  Glad to be here with all of you...

Daniel
2009-12-29 7:14 PM
in reply to: #2582969

User image

Champion
longrun26 - 2009-12-29 7:49 PM

Hello,

Daniel here...

I need some help!  How do you add friends?  I even had my two sons help me and none of us could figure this out.  I go to "Training Logs" but am unable to find where to add "friends."  I can log my workouts... not perfectly but getting there.  I added a few of my races...  Need friends!

Thanks in advance for your help.  This is a fun and exciting web site.  Glad to be here with all of you...

Daniel

Glad to have you here...

What you want to do is click "Settings" at the top of the screen, then the "Training Blog Customization", and then "Friends"...then you can add people's screen names.
2009-12-29 7:18 PM
in reply to: #2582824

User image

Champion
I love homework.

My 3 month goal is to lose 15 pounds (from my 1/1/10 weight - TBD). It may seem like a lot, but it is doable given how lazy and gluttonous I've been of late. It's only 5 pounds a month.

In order to achieve it, I will
1) Train in a tri-sport (swim/bike/run) at least 6 out of 7 days.
2) Add weight training 2x a week back into my schedule.
3) Eat clean at least 6 out of 7 days (this isn't as nebulous as it seems...to me this means to eat real food, unprocessed food, lots of fruits and veggies, avoid sugar, nothing that isn't whole-grain, nothing that is a cookie...)

I think the difficulty in reaching my goal is a wee bit of depression I'm still carrying around, which makes it tough for me to get the mojo for exercising and is helping to keep my extra pounds on.

2009-12-29 7:46 PM

Seattle
I got to the blog/calendar but am not seeing where to add friends.  Embarassed  While I patiently wait for someone to guide me there, I am going to go run again. This is addictive.

Never mind. thanks to person above me, I have found it.  What a pal.

Edited by poohsgirl724 2009-12-29 7:49 PM
2009-12-29 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2583015

Seattle
Kristen,
I think you can loose the weight no problem.  Are you currently exercising?  Set your sights on your goals and don't look back.  We are here to help you get there.  Maybe setting a shorter term goal, like for the next week, and then accomplishing it, will help you start to shake the wee bit of depression. Smile  Looking at how you intend to accomplish your goal, maybe you could take one of those 3 and make a small goal towards reaching the whole thing, like eating clean for 3 days of the next week. 

Once I got hooked on running I don't want to NOT do  it.  I know I need to back off of the running to avoid injury and work in other sports, like the swim and biking.
2009-12-29 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2583015

Regular
Show Low, Arizona
enders_shadow - 2009-12-29 7:18 PM

I love homework.

My 3 month goal is to lose 15 pounds (from my 1/1/10 weight - TBD). It may seem like a lot, but it is doable given how lazy and gluttonous I've been of late. It's only 5 pounds a month.

In order to achieve it, I will
1) Train in a tri-sport (swim/bike/run) at least 6 out of 7 days.
2) Add weight training 2x a week back into my schedule.
3) Eat clean at least 6 out of 7 days (this isn't as nebulous as it seems...to me this means to eat real food, unprocessed food, lots of fruits and veggies, avoid sugar, nothing that isn't whole-grain, nothing that is a cookie...)

I think the difficulty in reaching my goal is a wee bit of depression I'm still carrying around, which makes it tough for me to get the mojo for exercising and is helping to keep my extra pounds on.

K:

I've been dealing with some depression as well, and having the same problem getting motivated. Hoping that being held accountable by this group, will help me get through it.

M
2009-12-30 6:52 AM

User image

Louisiana

Good Morning! I was so glad to see ya'll helping each other last night in the forum. I knew you could do it much better than I. I crashed around 5...have some energy issues, worse since the HIM in Nov. Anyway, I love the goals set already. Here are mine:

3 month goal: Learn everything I can about why I eat what I do, and why I have difficulty losing weight.

Objectives to meet the goal: 
    1. Chart my intake daily for 3 months
    2. Attend WW meetings weekly for support
    3. Record what's happening when I binge or go off program.
    4. Record my workouts in detail to find the relationship between physical stress and metabolism.
Obstacles in meeting my goal: Fatigue and overwhem. When I get tired, all systems crash.
Ok, ya'll work on it. Hold me accountable, too. Be sure to check your "inspires". They're on the day stripe (blue stripe) on the far right. Let us know if you can't find them.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Twylite's Trying for weight loss group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12