BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-01-03 5:59 AM
in reply to: #2587085

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Subject: RE: Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full
Blehhhhh
First case of road rash for me today.
Heres the story : was cycling on the road , its not a busy road but theres traffic, its about 3 degrees outside (just above freezing) and being a road i thought no chance of ice etc. Possibly a mistake, but yeah.
Go over the bridge, come down the bridge going slightly fast, around 20 mph, and hit an ice patch that can't be more than a foot square, wobble wobble wobble clunk slide along the road. Ouch.
Bike is in a state, i seem to have managed to get a kink in the front wheel, the brakes on the curly bar bits (roadie) are bent round and i have a wounded pride
Darn this stupid winter!

2010-01-03 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2590299

User image

Davenport, IA
SteveyD - 2010-01-03 5:59 AM Blehhhhh
Heres the story : was cycling on the road , its not a busy road but theres traffic, its about 3 degrees outside (just above freezing) and being a road i thought no chance of ice etc. Possibly a mistake, but yeah.
Go over the bridge, come down the bridge going slightly fast, around 20 mph, and hit an ice patch that can't be more than a foot square, wobble wobble wobble clunk slide along the road. Ouch.
Bike is in a state, i seem to have managed to get a kink in the front wheel, the brakes on the curly bar bits (roadie) are bent round and i have a wounded pride
Darn this stupid winter!

Oh man, that's no way to start off the new year.  How did you come out of the accident?
2010-01-03 9:24 AM

Hi there, your group is still listed as open but I saw a post saying you had enough people.  Do you have room for one more?  If not, no worries but I thought it can't hurt to ask.

**edit, apparently I've not had enough coffee this morning cause it says right in the title that the group is full.. sorry abut that, I'll go make another coffee before I look to if there is anything else open.. good luck with your racing year! 

Edited by talluleh 2010-01-03 9:35 AM
2010-01-03 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2590422

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Sprint_DA - 2010-01-03 2:41 PM
Darn this stupid winter!

Oh man, that's no way to start off the new year.  How did you come out of the accident?
I'm fine, just got straight back on my feet, more embarressed than anything else,

2010-01-03 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2590489

User image

Davenport, IA
SteveyD - 2010-01-03 9:36 AM
Darn this stupid winter!

I'm fine, just got straight back on my feet, more embarressed than anything else,

Well that's good at least.  Hopefully you were able to straighten out your brake levers and the wheel isn't too bad.
2010-01-03 10:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Steve, glad to hear you are okay.  I am very impressed with riding in the winter, but I believe I will be riding indoors until the temp is a LOT warmer. Temp here in Maryland is 20 with a wind chill of -1. Ran on the tread mill for 45min this am.  Need more training!!!

2010-01-03 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2590498

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Sprint_DA - 2010-01-03 3:43 PM
SteveyD - 2010-01-03 9:36 AM
Darn this stupid winter!

i'LL Take it down to the LBS i think and get them to do a much better job than i could ever do on it.
Well that's good at least.  Hopefully you were able to straighten out your brake levers and the wheel isn't too bad.
2010-01-03 9:56 PM
in reply to: #2589353

User image

Los Angeles
Subject: RE: Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...now open
Hi Whato,

First swim was humbling,  I had to stop and rest after each lap. Next I am going to try swiming slower and hopefully get in more than a single lap.  My first tri will be a sprint 500m swim and the pool is 25m so I know I have to get up to 10 laps, which seem a lot easier before yesterday lol.
2010-01-03 10:49 PM
in reply to: #2590530

User image

Los Angeles
Glad find out your ok  and i agree about the weather. Then again I live where anything below 60 degrees is chillyLaughing
2010-01-04 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2591640

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...now open
BonnieB - 2010-01-03 9:56 PM Hi Whato,

First swim was humbling,  I had to stop and rest after each lap. Next I am going to try swiming slower and hopefully get in more than a single lap.  My first tri will be a sprint 500m swim and the pool is 25m so I know I have to get up to 10 laps, which seem a lot easier before yesterday lol.

That's pretty normal Bonnie.  The same thing happened to me when I started swimming.  Just keep working at it and you'll work through that pretty quickly.
2010-01-04 10:03 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
Ok...we've got the group all formed up.  So, do you have any questions I can answer for you?

I'll try to check in on the thread daily and look at your logs a few times a week, so we should all make sure that everyone in the group can see what you've done.  That will help me, and will help you guys to be able to motivate each other.

2010-01-04 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2590299

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
SteveD,

That is my worst nightmare. Glad to hear you're ok. Are you able to continue training?

Whato
2010-01-04 7:54 PM
in reply to: #2591694

User image

Davenport, IA
BonnieB - 2010-01-03 10:49 PM Glad find out your ok  and i agree about the weather. Then again I live where anything below 60 degrees is chillyLaughing

I'm so jealous.  We haven't made it above 15F in a couple weeks.
2010-01-04 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

I am not enjoying the weather here either...am jealous of the 60 degree weather.  Will make the best of it though...training has begun

2010-01-05 12:26 AM
in reply to: #2593843

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
It's above zero, but it rains all the time!
2010-01-05 6:31 AM
in reply to: #2594211

User image

Davenport, IA
Whato - 2010-01-05 12:26 AM It's above zero, but it rains all the time!

Cold and rainy can be rough.  What are you doing to beat the weather and still train?

2010-01-05 9:17 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Ok, so you guys are going to have to help me out a little bit with telling me what I can do to make your triathlon dreams a reality.  And hopefully the other two people who haven't chimed in will be in soon.
2010-01-05 10:00 PM
in reply to: #2596644

User image

Los Angeles

I have been doing about 40+ min elliptical machine  3 days a week and 30 min on starclimber on other days. Most of the trainging plans seem to start with less time than this running and cycling.
I notice most plan call for less work out time that this
When I get my running shoes(waiting for inserts from the foot doc) and fix my flat tire, should I scale back to match the plans, or start the plan  at the point  where it matchs my current workout times.

also why where a swim cap, other than it make you faster? 

2010-01-05 10:15 PM
in reply to: #2596702

User image

Davenport, IA
BonnieB - 2010-01-05 10:00 PM

I have been doing about 40+ min elliptical machine  3 days a week and 30 min on starclimber on other days. Most of the trainging plans seem to start with less time than this running and cycling.
I notice most plan call for less work out time that this
When I get my running shoes(waiting for inserts from the foot doc) and fix my flat tire, should I scale back to match the plans, or start the plan  at the point  where it matchs my current workout times.

also why where a swim cap, other than it make you faster? 

With running, I would probably scale back a bit from 40+ minutes.  Running is going to put a lot more stress on your body than the elliptical or the stair climber...especially if you're running outdoors.  The bike I wouldn't worry about as much as you should be less likely to have injuries on the bike.  One of the most important things to do is to listen to your body.  If you start to get overly sore make a note of it and take a rest day, or scale your workouts back a little. 

A swim cap will help to protect your hair from the pool chemicals, and will also keep your hair out of your eyes...and from falling out in the pool.  Other than that, I can't think of any real benefits.  I never wear one, except during races when it's required, but I don't care about the condition of my hair.

ETA: Was that helpful?

Edited by Sprint_DA 2010-01-05 10:17 PM
2010-01-05 11:54 PM

User image

Los Angeles
very helpful,  thanks.  I had not thought about the cap protecting your hair since i do care about my hair, (not sure if it is a SoCal or a girl thing).  I guess i will be buying a cap this weekend.

As far as running goes is it better to run on a  track than on concrete or asphault ?
2010-01-06 12:11 AM
in reply to: #2594211

User image

Los Angeles
Whato - 2010-01-04 11:26 PM It's above zero, but it rains all the time!

well they say we are in for a "el nino" winter here, usally means it will warm and wet in SoCal and less rain for Washington state so good for you less cushy for me. Laughing

2010-01-06 5:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Work has been busier than normal.  Early mornings and late evenings it is tough to get a workout in.  In a perfect world I would like to get a run in (treadmill for now) 3-4 days a week. Bike maybe 2 days (inside for now) and find a pool within the next 3wks.  Once I have a pool I would like to start out in the am 2x a week, going after my run day. 

Once the weather breaks and we start getting into warmer temps training will be easier...I hope.  Should I change up any workouts...I do strenght training maybe 3x week for now...will cut back as weather changes and increase the bike usage.

Need to keep motivated....

2010-01-06 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2596828

User image

Davenport, IA
BonnieB - 2010-01-05 11:54 PM very helpful,  thanks.  I had not thought about the cap protecting your hair since i do care about my hair, (not sure if it is a SoCal or a girl thing).  I guess i will be buying a cap this weekend.

As far as running goes is it better to run on a  track than on concrete or asphault ?

I would think you'd end up struggling for distance mentally if you ran on the track all the time, plus you'd never get any variety of hills, and if it's an indoor track (which is one of the few non-treadmill options we have here) you can injure your legs because of all the constant same-direction turning.  Beyond that asphalt is softer than concrete, so asphalt is generally better. 
2010-01-06 7:59 AM
in reply to: #2596901

User image

Davenport, IA
scott1223 - 2010-01-06 5:43 AM

Work has been busier than normal.  Early mornings and late evenings it is tough to get a workout in.  In a perfect world I would like to get a run in (treadmill for now) 3-4 days a week. Bike maybe 2 days (inside for now) and find a pool within the next 3wks.  Once I have a pool I would like to start out in the am 2x a week, going after my run day. 

Once the weather breaks and we start getting into warmer temps training will be easier...I hope.  Should I change up any workouts...I do strenght training maybe 3x week for now...will cut back as weather changes and increase the bike usage.

Need to keep motivated....

You might add in an extra day or two of swimming in there since you don't have any swim base.  It would be a bit tough to build up your distance on two days a week.

What helps to motivate you during times like these?  I know indoor training is really mentally tough.  I have to think about the increases in speed I had from year one to year two where going into year two I had a decent off season.  I picked up 10 mins in the first two Sprint distance races that I repeated.  Huge decreases like that are helping me stay focused this year.
2010-01-06 9:39 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Hope you all had a great day of training today!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full Rss Feed  

of 12