of 15

2010-01-05 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2594714

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's Group - OPEN
We got room, Pamela.  Welcome!

I think 6-8 foot swells would make most somewhat unhappy!  Good to see you're not letting them keep you down.

A friend of mine, who did IM Lake Placid with me a few years ago, has had one hip replaced and surgery on the other one too--and he's a few years younger than me.  He's not back to running consistently (hasn't given up hope!), but is signed up for the aqua-velo at Eagleman with me this summer.  That probably does require getting past the dog-paddle in the swim, though. 

BTW, I hear that living in Santa Barbara takes about 20 years off your age.  Enjoy your 30th birthday party! 

2010-01-05 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2592294

Regular
Hi Pamela,

I'm not a swimmer either, I forgot to mention that in my other posts. It would take a lot to get me to swim in the ocean comfortably. Happy birthday!

JohnnyKay - I hope I didn't sound like I was poo-pooing the work it takes to do a sprint. I think base was the word I was looking for? Not sure, but I think you get what I was trying to say. Actually my first sprint last summer was right in the middle of the flu, and I didn't get much fitness prior to getting sick. That race DID hurt! While I think I will end up using a "canned" training plan, I would love to get a better grip on how those plans are put together, and understand what "build weeks" and such mean, and how to be patient so I don't go out and overdo it on the first day I feel strong! Similarly, I'm curious how to fit other activities into the plan. For example, 2 summers ago I was training for a half marathon, and one day it was beautiful and I decided to take my kids hiking up a mountain. It was a beautiful hike, great experience, but left me so sore the next two days, that my training runs didn't happen. Now, I'm slightly hesistant to add other activities that might tire out my body if I haven't done the triathlon workouts. But I definitely don't want to become a slave to the training schedule and miss opportunities such as a hike.

Suzanne
2010-01-05 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2594749

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
vtgirl - 2010-01-05 10:20 AM
JohnnyKay - I hope I didn't sound like I was poo-pooing the work it takes to do a sprint. I think base was the word I was looking for? Not sure, but I think you get what I was trying to say. Actually my first sprint last summer was right in the middle of the flu, and I didn't get much fitness prior to getting sick. That race DID hurt! While I think I will end up using a "canned" training plan, I would love to get a better grip on how those plans are put together, and understand what "build weeks" and such mean, and how to be patient so I don't go out and overdo it on the first day I feel strong! Similarly, I'm curious how to fit other activities into the plan. For example, 2 summers ago I was training for a half marathon, and one day it was beautiful and I decided to take my kids hiking up a mountain. It was a beautiful hike, great experience, but left me so sore the next two days, that my training runs didn't happen. Now, I'm slightly hesistant to add other activities that might tire out my body if I haven't done the triathlon workouts. But I definitely don't want to become a slave to the training schedule and miss opportunities such as a hike. Suzanne

No worries on the "poo-pooing".  I knew what you meant.  But after a few years of writing on internet message boards, I realize that not everyone has the same frame of reference when they are reading a post.  Things that would easily be understood in a real conversation can get muddled sometimes.  I speak as a frequent muddler. 

As far as things like the hike, sometimes there are things in life not worth missing in pursuit of a race PR.  I went ice skating for a few hours with my kids over the Christmas break and could barely walk the next day, let alone run!  There will be times you miss a workout for things far less memorable (like shoveling that surprising 18" of snowfall from your driveway).  Take the training "hit" and come back refreshed.  That's my suggestion, anyway.

I think "build weeks", "periodization" and such will come up more as we go and I'll try to share my thoughts on some of that at some point.  Don't want to burn you guys out and get tired of my blathering in the first few days. 
2010-01-05 10:48 AM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Hi all!

Last night I started the first day of my 16 week training plan for my May Sprint Tri.  It was the first time I had been on a stationary bike.  The plan was to ride for 24 minutes.  After about 3 mins I thought this will be a breeze.  I cranked up the tension.  Two mins later and my legs were screaming!  Backed off a little and set a pace to finish the plan.  After the 24 mins I felt fine.  I will have to learn how to properly adjust the tension for each ride.  Don't want it to easy but have to get my legs broken in on the bike. 

Went to the pool after the bike and swam for about 20 minutes.  Swam 50 yards then took a rest and went again.  I am sure the swimming will come back soon but last night it was rough.  Met another triathlete in the pool and we discussed training plans.  He is swimming a mile a day, something that I hope to get to in the next few months.

It seems most of this group are experienced triathletes so I hope to learn a lot from each of you.
2010-01-05 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2594744

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Thanks,

My first question is, How do I post a question? How do I respond to someone else's post to me?
Do I reply at the very top of the group thread, reply to the last post to me, or reply to the last post in the group? Reply directly to others in the group? Holy Moly, I am having a blonde moment here Trying to get a feel for "group etiquette".

(told ya I was a newbie to the site

Once I know the answer to this question, I will pose my next question, which I promise is more triathlon training specific!

Pamela
2010-01-05 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2595067

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
sbtrichick - 2010-01-05 12:00 PM Thanks,

My first question is, How do I post a question? How do I respond to someone else's post to me?
Do I reply at the very top of the group thread, reply to the last post to me, or reply to the last post in the group? Reply directly to others in the group? Holy Moly, I am having a blonde moment here Trying to get a feel for "group etiquette".

(told ya I was a newbie to the site

Once I know the answer to this question, I will pose my next question, which I promise is more triathlon training specific!

Pamela

Well, you just posted a question and that's how it's done. 

If you are answering a particular post, you should probably "Reply" from that post.  Or, you can "Quote" from that post as I did for this one (lets everyone see exactly what you are referring to).  If the post is just general, or a new question entirely, the just "Reply" to the thread (the first post).  I've been trying to reply individually to posts as we get started, but will probably reply to multiple people in single posts as it makes sense and we move along.  You won't lose points here for improper etiquette.

2010-01-05 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2594624

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
That link answers everything... thanks, Johnny.
2010-01-05 1:21 PM

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Subject: Missed Training Days
Step 1. Decide to COMPETE  in four Sprint Triathlons this year. (I agree it's COMPETE, not COMPLETE for me,  the distinction is important.)

Step 2. Decide to TRAIN, instead of wing it. But how to train?

Step 3. Decide to join BEGINNER TRIATHLETE.COM and pony up some change for access to online plans.

Step 4.  PICK a TRAINING PROGRAM.  After waaaay too many hours online, I decide to go with the winter program for beginners to start building a base. (20 week but will probably only do the first eight weeks or so then transition to a Sprint Plan.) Hopefully be ready for transistion to the intermediate Sprint level.

Step 5. Check out the mentor groups, choose JohnnyKay, here I am Yay!

So, (drumroll please) for my first official triathlon training question:

How do I make up for missed training days due to travel? Do I try to make up any workouts? Or just miss them and pick up where I left off when I come back?

For example, I will be skiing this weekend for four days. There is no gym or pool access at our condo.  I will be skiing 4-6 hours a day so there will be exercise involved, it just won't be on my plan.

I have three four day weekends booked for skiing so far this season, one in Jan, Feb and March. There will probably be fourth added.

Appreciate your help!
Pamela
2010-01-05 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2594648

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
JohnnyKay -

It sounds like you need to start with some basic form work.  TI might be able to help with that.  Even better if you can get your wife to work with you in the water.  Having someone watch what you are doing and then giving you drills to help correct problems is often a much quicker way to figuring swimming out.  The DVDs could help too, but without someone telling you if you are doing the drills properly or not, it is often difficult for us non-fish to know ourselves.  I do have some drills that helped me when I started out (not TI, though).  I'll see if I can dig up the file they were on and post it here if I can.

Do you train with a hr monitor in the water? I have a VDO I run and cycle with.... not sure it's H2O proof. I'll try those drills when you post them.

John
2010-01-05 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2595510

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Missed Training Days
sbtrichick - 2010-01-05 2:21 PM Step 1. Decide to COMPETE  in four Sprint Triathlons this year. (I agree it's COMPETE, not COMPLETE for me,  the distinction is important.)

Step 2. Decide to TRAIN, instead of wing it. But how to train?

Step 3. Decide to join BEGINNER TRIATHLETE.COM and pony up some change for access to online plans.

Step 4.  PICK a TRAINING PROGRAM.  After waaaay too many hours online, I decide to go with the winter program for beginners to start building a base. (20 week but will probably only do the first eight weeks or so then transition to a Sprint Plan.) Hopefully be ready for transistion to the intermediate Sprint level.

Step 5. Check out the mentor groups, choose JohnnyKay, here I am Yay!

So, (drumroll please) for my first official triathlon training question:

How do I make up for missed training days due to travel? Do I try to make up any workouts? Or just miss them and pick up where I left off when I come back?

For example, I will be skiing this weekend for four days. There is no gym or pool access at our condo.  I will be skiing 4-6 hours a day so there will be exercise involved, it just won't be on my plan.

I have three four day weekends booked for skiing so far this season, one in Jan, Feb and March. There will probably be fourth added.

Appreciate your help!
Pamela

I'd say you have a couple different ways to approach the ski weekends.  First off, as you note, it's still reasonably strenuous physical activity.  It won't have a direct benefit to your swimming, biking or running, but will still help build your overall fitness.  So you could probably just miss those workouts and pick back up with the plan with relatively little "give up".  Alternatively, you could look at those weeks and move some workouts around.  For example, if there is a key swim workout while you would be skiing, perhaps you want to move that to another day in the week and choose a "less important" session to miss (sometimes it will be clear which sessions are "key" versus "less important", other times it will require some judgement and may also depend on your strengths/weaknesses--generally, priorize your weaknesses over your strengths).  Just be careful doing this as you don't want to end up with too several "hard" workouts back-to-back, epecially just before or after a skiing weekend.

And since you ponied-up for the Gold Membership, it's probably worthwhile for you to use the Training Plan Support forum if you haven't alreaday done so.  The coaches who designed those plans are there to answer specific questions like this and can probably give you a more informed answer (especially about where it may be better/worse on moving workouts).  But I'm always happy to voice my opinion if you like as well.  Often, I'll probably by in general agreement with them.  Sometimes I may differ and you'll have to be the final judge in that case. 
2010-01-05 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2595512

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
jhogan9600 - 2010-01-05 2:22 PM
JohnnyKay -

It sounds like you need to start with some basic form work.  TI might be able to help with that.  Even better if you can get your wife to work with you in the water.  Having someone watch what you are doing and then giving you drills to help correct problems is often a much quicker way to figuring swimming out.  The DVDs could help too, but without someone telling you if you are doing the drills properly or not, it is often difficult for us non-fish to know ourselves.  I do have some drills that helped me when I started out (not TI, though).  I'll see if I can dig up the file they were on and post it here if I can.

Do you train with a hr monitor in the water? I have a VDO I run and cycle with.... not sure it's H2O proof. I'll try those drills when you post them.

John

I think I may have tried in once.  Never again.  Frankly, I no longer use HR most of the time.  But I did rely on it heavily when I started out, especially with regards to running.  It helped me to learn how to slow down to a "conversational" pace and keep from running out of gas early.  It also helped me learn to pace myself in longer races.

2010-01-05 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2595609

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Subject: RE: Missed Training Days
Good info, thanks! Took your suggestion and posted to the "gold" forum as well
2010-01-05 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2594714

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
Hi Pamela!
Hey.... we lived in Carpenteria several years ago. Beautiful area you have there.
2010-01-05 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2595623

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
I saw places to enter hr info for swimming in my training program... that's why I asked.  Can't say I've ever seen anyone swimming with one where I train.
2010-01-05 2:57 PM

User image

John-

Are you sure you still have room?  Here's my deal in a nutshell....39, married, FOUR kids (17, 11, 3, 1) in Bham, Alabama.  Brother is an accomplished Iron Man.  I've watched what triathlon training has done for him over the years.  He's been gently nudging me this way for years.  Last year I began runnings some 5Ks, and cycling a bit, too.  Never declared that I was aiming for a triathlon....until now.  I'm ready. 

Strengths:  I don't mind getting up early to do what I need to do.  I've built at least a reasonable base with moderate running and cycling.  I grew up in S. Florida and am very comfortable in water.  There is a local Y with a class that seems to cater to aspiring triathletes.  I inherited a pretty decent Trek from my IM brother which fits pretty good.

Weaknesses:  I am 5'10", 195 lbs.  Need to lose around 15-20 on my frame.  I am a VERY slow runner.  I did some lap swimming in the local pool in the Fall and wow.......struggled to say the least.  I'm sure my form is horrendous. 

I've read through the entire thread, and it looks like a good group with a very qualified and pleasant mentor.  I'd love to join if you think there's room.

Thanks,

Chris
2010-01-05 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2595818

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
You are in under the wire Chris. 

If your brother is into this, you obviously already know how addictive it can be once you get going. 

As I noted, I dropped about 25lbs from when I began.  My running training pace back then was probably in the 11-12 min/mile range and I couldn't maintain that very long.  We all have to start somewhere.

Comfort in the water is a great start, but actually swimming requires quite a bit technique.  It's very different from jumping into cycling or running in that way.  I do really recommend some lessons if you can swimng it.  But, we'll do our best to help you along regardless.

I think I will allow one more entry before closing the group and seeing how things go from there.  I'll make a post directed towards the whole group at that point.

2010-01-05 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2595708

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA

Hi Jhogan!

Did you ever do the Carpinteria Triathlon? It's the end of September and the final race I want to do this year...I watched it two years ago.

P.

2010-01-05 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2594749

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Hi Suzanne!

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Swimming is my weakness big time. I struggle with a near drowning experience as a child and some primal stuff kicks in everytime I put my face in the water. But it's a fear I want to overcome!  

I just timed my 100 yds/meters as a baseline (not sure if our YMCA is meters or yard) either way, I am pretty slow:
 3 mins, 10 secs for the 100 with my best effort.

Tried to freestyle the entire distance, but swallowed some water (gotta remember not to try and breathe underwater and choked a bit and had to float for about 10 feet or so...

I am contemplating joining a Masters Swim, but I think I am still too much of a novice...

Pamela
2010-01-05 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2595936

User image

Am I too late to join? Its been really difficult to get into one of these groups before they close. I would love to join this group. My name is David, I'm 28, live in the Virginia suburbs of DC. This will be my second tri season. Last year I did two mini sprints as well as a half marathon and several smaller races. This year, I am training for my first full marathon in March, and I plan to do at least two full sprints and an Olympic in September. I look forward to getting to know the group.
2010-01-05 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2595936

User image

Thanks, John!  In spite of these crazy temps- 25 degrees in Alabama?- been getting a good bit of running in already.  Riding that new year's thing I guess.  Hoping my involvement here will help keep this thing going in the Spring!

2010-01-05 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2595986

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Aubie,  At least we aren't dealing with the snow and ice the rest of the country has right now.  Though, I wouldn't mind a little of the white stuff every once in awhile.  I was in B'ham last weekend for the Trans Siberian Orchestra concert with my son.  Best of luck in your training!

2010-01-05 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
Is there still room for one more on this group?

My name is Albert (not to be confused with McLuvin) I am 30 years old and completed my first season of triathlons in 09 and absolutely loved it! I have always been active since college either playing ice hockey, running or snowboarding. Last year I decided to start my journey on one of my goals to complete an IM. So last year I signed up for Team in Training, raised $3100 and competed in my first tri Mooseman Olympic distance. Well, after my first race I was hooked. I did a few other running races last year such as my first full marathon (3:37) which I was very pleased with. local 5 & 8k's and ended my season with a 1/2 IM Bassman Half in NJ (5:41).

I am hoping to improve my swimming and biking in the off season. I am planning on completing IM Lake Placid in 2010 Smile so I need to get much stronger on those hills. I participated in a tri camp last season in Lake Placid and was humbled by the climb back into LP.  It got to the point that I was talking out loud to myself on the long 13 mile climb back to town, it was bad. So this winter I have been hitting the gym and hope to improve my leg strength. I am currently training 6-7 hours a week and using a base plan on BT and will be using an IM training plan through BT.

Hopefully, I will be able to learn as much as possible from the group b/c I have a lot to learn especially about nutrition.
Thanks
Albert

2010-01-05 7:10 PM
in reply to: #2595913

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
Pamela,
We lived there for 6 months but I don't recall seeing any triathlons at that time. That was...... um...... 20 years ago. Good grief. Anyway, we did some hikes and a bunch of bike rides while we were there... but nothing serious. What an great place to live and train!

Edited by jhogan9600 2010-01-05 7:12 PM
2010-01-05 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2595974

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
You are in David.  Welcome!

Which marathon are you running in March?
2010-01-05 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2596167

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Welcome Albert!  You slid in under the wire on a technicality--I hadn't posted the "Closed" sign yet.

You had quite a solid first season!  The key to doing well in LP is to ride your bike a LOT.  And then ride as easy as you possibly can stand for the first loop.  Let everyone go by you up the hills.  Never try to keep up with people.  Either they are much stronger than you are or, more likely, you will see them on lap 2 or on the run as you pass by.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15