BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-04-06 11:18 PM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is open!!!!

Hola!

Name. -Hamlet

Story - Young man. in the age of the big dreams. highschool student. work with my dad.
grew up playing soccer and basketball. took up on swimming and I love it. spent 3 months in the US and went up like 18 pounds. since I dont live on a ''schedule'' and couldnt stay on a sports team I started running to lose it. lost it. but got a love for running. but now I have this tri dream.

same as in the running I will focus on short stuff. Im too young (16) yeah laugh.

Family Status. - Living with my fam. no gf. no nada.

Races so far. - A couple 10ks.

This years races.- Dont know. but I will sure have some.

this good enough? haha.

ETA. I run. and I swim and bike a little. not my strenghts and havve had little of either thus far.

excuse my english as its my 2nd language....

Edited by Prince of Denmar 2010-04-06 11:20 PM

2010-04-06 11:20 PM
in reply to: #2772942

User image

Champion
Prince of Denmar - 2010-04-06 10:18 PM

Hola!

Name. -Hamlet

Story - Young man. in the age of the big dreams. highschool student. work with my dad.
grew up playing soccer and basketball. took up on swimming and I love it. spent 3 months in the US and went up like 18 pounds. since I dont live on a ''schedule'' and couldnt stay on a sports team I started running to lose it. lost it. but got a love for running. but now I have this tri dream.

same as in the running I will focus on short stuff. Im too young (16) yeah laugh.

Family Status. - Living with my fam. no gf. no nada.

Races so far. - A couple 10ks.

This years races.- Dont know. but I will sure have some.

this good enough? haha.

sounds good.

Where in the US were you?
2010-04-06 11:22 PM

User image

Chicago

Hey I am in.

NAME: Thomas

STORY: I am an Army vet and have been a runner all my life. I started Tri training last year but never got into swimming because of an old injury. Now I found out I have arthritis but am starting Physical Therapy and will be back in the pool shortly.

FAMILY STATUS: Newly married.

CURRENT TRAINING: I would have to say I am at about 8-10 hours a week. Will start improving now that the weather is getting nicer and can get out for longer rides. I want to focus on improving my swimming and a hopeful HIM.

NO RACES SO FAR THIS YEAR- will be doing the Wisconsin Marathon, Chicago Marathon and any triathlons I can get into.

WEIGHTLOSS: Whatever I get, not too concerned about my weight. I have been at 200 for years now but what like to get out of clydsedale.

Look forward to making some Tri friends on this mentor group and I plan to start using the log.
THANKS NEWBZ

2010-04-06 11:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
I live in Monterrey Mexico.
and travel often to Houston. Dallas. San Antonio and Austin.
(dads job)
2010-04-06 11:25 PM
in reply to: #2772946

User image

Champion
Thomasski - 2010-04-06 10:22 PM

Hey I am in.

NAME: Thomas

STORY: I am an Army vet and have been a runner all my life. I started Tri training last year but never got into swimming because of an old injury. Now I found out I have arthritis but am starting Physical Therapy and will be back in the pool shortly.

FAMILY STATUS: Newly married.

CURRENT TRAINING: I would have to say I am at about 8-10 hours a week. Will start improving now that the weather is getting nicer and can get out for longer rides. I want to focus on improving my swimming and a hopeful HIM.

NO RACES SO FAR THIS YEAR- will be doing the Wisconsin Marathon, Chicago Marathon and any triathlons I can get into.

WEIGHTLOSS: Whatever I get, not too concerned about my weight. I have been at 200 for years now but what like to get out of clydsedale.

Look forward to making some Tri friends on this mentor group and I plan to start using the log.
THANKS NEWBZ

IIRC, you are just out then?
Are you in the chicago/WI area? (i know a lot of people up there).

Good to have you.

2010-04-06 11:31 PM
in reply to: #2772949

User image

Chicago

IIRC, you are just out then? Are you in the chicago/WI area? (i know a lot of people up there). Good to have you.

Yeah I got out in Aug 08. Almost got recalled back to active duty on veterans day. But my jacked up shoulder kept me out of returning to duty. Yeah I live up in Skokie, right on the north side of Chicago. Do you know where your friends ride at?

2010-04-06 11:33 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Do you have room for one more?   I did my first tri - an Oly - last year.   I'm looking to do 2-3 Olys this year and then an almost HIM (almost because the bike is only 60km) in Sept. 
2010-04-06 11:33 PM
in reply to: #2772954

User image

Champion
ah you are right near chicago then, more of them a bit further northwest, near rockford.
two that used to ride out of chicago, but i think they are both on the west coast now.
2010-04-06 11:34 PM
in reply to: #2772955

User image

Champion
dcon - 2010-04-06 10:33 PM

Do you have room for one more? I did my first tri - an Oly - last year. I'm looking to do 2-3 Olys this year and then an almost HIM (almost because the bike is only 60km) in Sept.

yep you are welcome to join.
2010-04-06 11:37 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
This group is filling up fast!
2010-04-06 11:42 PM
in reply to: #2772962

User image

Champion
carlwithac - 2010-04-06 10:37 PM

This group is filling up fast!

this is nuts, its been open for an hour!!!

On a side note, i hole you KILLED it at the OSU race, i grew up around OSU, almost went to MI , and hate the buckeye.s

2010-04-06 11:44 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Hope I can still join. Let me know

NAME: Jackie- jpbis26

Story:  I was active in high school & college. I gained alot of weight after having 3 kids & became very inactive. I realized wanted to be a more active mom/person & went to weight watchers. I've lost quite a bit and am almost at my healthy weight. I will be doing my first sprint tri this May. I've always wanted to do one as my dad and his friends did one every year when I was growing up. I wanted something to motivate me to be active. I've done 3 5ks in the last couple months & it's made me step up my running. I'm hoping tris will do the same.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 5 years with 3 kids ages 4yrs, 2yrs, & 7 months

RACES: Signed up for a sprint tri in May. Looking to do another in the summer, but haven't picked on yet.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just trying to swim, bike, run as much as possible. I would like/ desperately need more guidance. The bike is my weakest area. The swim might be my best, but I have yet to swim in open water, so who knows.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I will never skip a workout because I just don't feel like. My workouts get me out of the house & I know they are so important to my health/weight loss & continuing to feel good. I have a lot of patience & know things will not happen overnight. I'm willing to stay the course, work hard, & accept any & all advice.

2010-04-06 11:47 PM
in reply to: #2772963

Expert
Ann Arbor
newbz - 2010-04-07 12:42 AM
carlwithac - 2010-04-06 10:37 PM This group is filling up fast!
this is nuts, its been open for an hour!!! On a side note, i hole you KILLED it at the OSU race, i grew up around OSU, almost went to MI , and hate the buckeye.s

Personally, I had a pretty good race except for the fact that two laps of my run were never counted for some reason.  My team took the team victory as well as an overall women's collegiate victory and an overall men's collegiate 2nd or 3rd(can't remember).  It felt good strutting around the OSU athletic complex all decked out in maize and blue.
2010-04-06 11:50 PM
in reply to: #2772966

User image

Champion
after jackie, i can take one or two more (i have one joining tomorrow that i promised a spot too),

if after a few days/week, some are not active, i'll open up and let a few more in.

For those that have not been a part of one of these thus far, we can take this group anywhere you want. you can ask questions, rant, start topics, whatever. i am on my computer a big chucnk of the time i am not out training, so i can answer questions most of the day and unless i am traveling i'll answer something within a few hours.

If anyone has a topic they want talked about feel free to ask, or start something. between all of us, we bring a LOT of diff backgrounds, and info, to this group, and through that we should all hopefully be able to learn a lot.

2010-04-06 11:51 PM

Thanks alot carl! It is quite an accomplishment for me! For any who smoke and want to quit.....e-puffer. Amazing how easy it was. and now that I have pink and fluffy lungs (or getting there), I am ready to train! Hope I get tons of motivation from being part of this group!
2010-04-06 11:52 PM
in reply to: #2772970

User image

Champion
carlwithac - 2010-04-06 10:47 PM

newbz - 2010-04-07 12:42 AM
carlwithac - 2010-04-06 10:37 PM This group is filling up fast!
this is nuts, its been open for an hour!!! On a side note, i hole you KILLED it at the OSU race, i grew up around OSU, almost went to MI , and hate the buckeye.s

Personally, I had a pretty good race except for the fact that two laps of my run were never counted for some reason. My team took the team victory as well as an overall women's collegiate victory and an overall men's collegiate 2nd or 3rd(can't remember). It felt good strutting around the OSU athletic complex all decked out in maize and blue.

thats awesome. I know/have trained with a few guys on the OSU team, and i truly enjoyed racing all of them (and a lot of midwest schools) at the Rudy project tri last year (first weekend of june or last of may).

that said, the rpac (the OSU althletic building) is something else.

2010-04-07 2:20 AM

User image

Looks like there is still room for one more I would like to join if possible. Short bio:

NAME: Burak

STORY: I have been active all my life. I have been into all kinds of sports. I have been playing soccer, basketball, free diving (and related underwater sports) as my main sports until I was 30 or so. After that since soccer was risky and my freediving friends dropped out of the sport, I started doing some mountain biking besides basketball. In 2003 I wanted to try a road bike, and later on some triathlons. I found out that I liked biking very much and since it required noone else, it became my main sport with time. I finished my first triathlon this November at last. My time was 2:37. This year I am aiming for 2:20.

FAMILY STATUS: I am 39 years old, married with a son (8 years old).

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently doing 3-4 swim sessions, 5-6 run sessions, 3-4 bike sessions per week. I am a pretty good biker, a decent runner. With regard to swimming, any distance is fine but I lack speed. My current PB for 1500 m is 29 minutes. I am somewhat stuck at that time currently.

2009 RACES: One olympic triathlon in November 2009. There are not many races where I live (I live in Turkey). None so far in 2010.

2010 RACES: I have one "A" olympic triathlon in November. Aside from that I probably will run a 10K running race in late May. I may do another olympic triathlon as a gauge to my progress in June or July if I found a suitable one.

WEIGHTLOSS: This has never been an issue with me. I have been the same weight since I was 18.

There are not many triathletes in my close vicinity, only a handful and I can seldom train with them because of scheduling problems. I am not used to self coaching and certainly am not experienced in triathlons. So I hope to learn from you and this group's would be participants.

Edited by RogerWilco 2010-04-07 6:20 AM
2010-04-07 3:24 AM

User image

Wow...this group did fill up fast.

Got a trainer ride in after work...and sweated like a pig.  Literally soaked.
2010-04-07 5:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Morning gang. Man I have a lot of catching up to do from overnight!

What workouts does everyone have planned for today? I am scheduled for 2500 in the pool and a 25 mile group ride. It is gonna be a long day!
2010-04-07 6:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Hello,

I hope there is room for one more!

I have followed your posts and like what you have to offer. I hope you except me into your group!

My name is Doug

I am a divorced father of two who is taking on the challenge of a new family with my Girlfriend and her two children. She is such a wonderful human being and a great, great friend. Things happen for a reason and she is proof!

I teach Physical Education was a Football coach for the last 25 years with the last 5 as Head Coach.
I have a masters in physical education with an emphasis in exercise science.
I am new "again" to Triathlon.
I raced 5 sprint Tris back in the late 80's but then with the arrival of my two Daughters, teaching and coaching life took over and triathlon was set aside for a "brief" period of time.
My Daughters are now 21 and 19 and I am now longer coaching football so I have decided to become a newbie once again!

I will be 50 this coming fall and I am participating in 3 sprint distance races this year with the first in mid July.
I started running in January, got pnemonia about 2 weeks later and had to rest for two weeks.
picked it back up then and now I run 3 days per week with 2 3 mile runs and one long of 6.
My first run in Jan was a 3 miler at a time of 40 mins and just this last week I dropped my time on the same run to 27 min and 45 seconds! The running is coming along.
I just got my new bike last week and have only had time and weather to get in two 10 mile rides so I need to catch up there.
I am really struggling to find a place to swim that also matches the times that I can be available to get in the  water that is my big struggle right now.....
So there will be catching up there as well.
2010-04-07 7:12 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Hey David,

I'd love to join your group if I can.  I'll post a bio in a little bit (gotta pretend to do some work for a little while...).

Joe

2010-04-07 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2773160

User image

Master
Baltimore

NAME: jsiegs - Joe
STORY: I'm in my second full year of triathlons, and the first where I'm training with any purpose.  I started out just winging it, did alright for myself, but wanted more.  I picked up the volume, but had no idea what I was doing (and wanted to know how some of those guys were so much faster than me).  Eventually, found a coach for a couple months to end last season, had a GREAT last race, found BT, ditched the coach and have immersed myself in training plans, philosophy, details, etc.  I love the scientific approach (I'm a ChemE by trade).  I still have a mental gap about knowing the right thing to do vs the fun thing to do (I'll explain with an example later).

FAMILY STATUS: Been living in Baltimore since coming to school here and graduating.  Got a g/f who's doing her first tri this summer.  I've learned what its like to be on the other end of seeing your significant other less because of training.

CURRENT TRAINING:  been on BT plans since last Oct.  8-12 hrs per week (ok...12 might be a little high).  Started a 16 week HIM plan not too long ago and excited to start hitting some big numbers.

THIS YEAR'S RACES SO FAR: First is April 17th...

2010 RACES: Did a mid-lite "50" to finish last year and gearing up for the HIM distance this year.

Registered so far:
Paris Mountain Olympic
Fallston Duathlon
Black Bear Olympic
South Carroll Tri-To-Win Sprint
70.3 Rhode Island
North East Olympic
70.3 Longhorn Austin

WEIGHTLOSS:  Not a huge goal/issue.  Never been big (6'1", 165 bf tri's, 148 least season racing weight, currently mid 150's whcih is probably the right weight for me), but lost a bit of "softness" since starting training.  When I was down to 140's I was tracking calories for about a year and really focusing on it...it was a good/bad experience but I think I'm healthier not doing it.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I like to keep my blog updated and I really like a community of like minded, motivated people to interact with.  Your group is large and I may be late to the game, but the you and the people here seem pretty awesome in that respect (does sucking up get me in???).  From before, the stupid stuff I like to do that I need to fix - my first race has a big climb (something like 2.2 miles and 900 feet) and they are capturing splits.  The run goes up the same mountain.  I'm seriously considering going all out on the climb to see how I can do and just trying to survive the run.  Obviously, not the ideal race strategy, but this is the kind of stuff I wrestle with.  I couldn't handle all the training and lifestyle without making fun of myself and what we do, because some of it is ridiculous. 

2010-04-07 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Here's my bio:

NAME: Dan

STORY: I'm 51 and live in Sendai, Japan. I was part of a staff reduction at the end of 2007 and have given myself a few years off to a) catch up on life, i.e., things I like to do besides work b) see how far I can get with triathlons - ideally I want to do an IM, but I'm not in a hurry and thinking the earliest that will happen is 2012. 

In 2008 I struggled with learning to swim and bike again. I hadn't really done either for 30-35 years and only knew how to swim with my face out of the water. I also struggled with getting my running going again. I've had knees problems since doing a marathon back in 2001. In 2009,  I did manage to put together just enough training to get through my first Oly and finished in 3 hours (literally 3:00:11).

My training consistency stabilized after the Oly although I still do have occasional knee problems with my knees. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two sons from my wife's previous marriage. We have 3 grandchildren.

CURRENT TRAINING

I'm logging 12-13 hours per week, but that includes quite a bit of time in the pool working on technique.

- Run: After reading a couple of the running threads in Tri-talk, I decided to move from 3 runs/week to 5.   I'm currently holding at 4-5 runs/week and trying to stay in zone 2 while I slowly ramp up the distances.  My zone 2 is an RPE based guestimate and I do train using an HRM.

- Swim: I have been taking a 30 minute lesson once/week since Dec and making slow, but steady progress on my form.  I try to get to the pool 4-5 times per week - lots of time on technique and that inflates my .  I need to start spending some of my time on longer set 

- Bike: I am slowly ramping up my cycling time after only doing 8-10 hours/month for the last couple months.

- Weight training: I've been doing light weights since Dec and want to continue as long as it doesn't get in the way of other training.  

LAST YEAR'S RACES

Utsukushima Triathlon (Oly)

2010 RACES

Fukushima 10K on April 29 
Sakata Oly on June 20
Another Oly end of July (maybe, TBD)
Utsukushima Triathlon (Oly) on 8/22
Shizuoka HIM on 9/19

WEIGHTLOSS: I am currently at 62 kg (137 lbs). I think my ideal weight is probably 59 or 60 kg (but a little more muscle and a little less fat) so I expect my training increases in 2010 will get me to where I want to be.

Edited by dcon 2010-04-07 7:56 AM
2010-04-07 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Welcome everyone! This should be a great group. My workout for the day will consist of a 30 minute run for base and an hour of yoga. I am working on a cold so just getting the workouts done is my goal for the day.

By the way, does anyone know how to respond to a particular thread within a set of messages.  I have often seen when responding to a certain person the message first with lines around it and then your reply. Have no clue how to do that though.

Have a great day and I will check back in after my workouts!

Robin
2010-04-07 8:44 AM

is there still room in this group?

this is my second year of tri - and I'm just getting going on my training for the season.  The main race I want to do is in Sept (Title 9 Sprint).  Its the one I did last year and I'd like to better my times.  I might do another one earlier in the season, but haven't decided yet.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105