BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-04-07 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2774318

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--OPEN
TriAya - 2010-04-07 10:47 AM 

I like your style.

Finish and have fun means that you are going to be a BLAZING SUCCESS. Frankly, as you know, you're already there--30 lbs down is a big deal.

My mom is deaf. She can hear the differences between some tones and she lip-reads. She also had enough hearing through the first few years of her life that her speech is "normal" (I hate, hate, hate that word, but can't think of a suitable replacement right now).

She's late-deafened, sorta. I was born deaf. I was able to hear really well with my hearing aids and spoke "normal" lol (I still can't say spaghetti correctly though!), however, the last few years my residual hearing got progressively worse, so I researched into getting Cochlear implants. I got one on my left first, and I loved it so much that I was willing to go through another surgery to get the other side done after 4 months. It's awesome...I can hear crickets now. I couldn't before. So yeah...you take certain sounds for granted. I can even tell the difference between my dog's new rabies tag clicking against her other tag and the old rabies tag. They sound different. I wouldn't have been able to before.

Music - I've been a fan of Reba McEntire for 18 years. Favorite song is Fancy.
I'm liking Lady Gaga, and nice beat music, but I really like Ballads, probably because I can understand the music and hear the vocals better than a rock song blasting in my ears...literally. :-D

2010-04-07 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
If you still have room I'd love to be a Manatee.  Not to kiss up, but I read one of your race reports last year Yanti and I was so impressed and inspired. 

I'm a 32 year old stay at home mom in the north suburbs of Chicago.  My kids are 13, 7 (in 3 weeks) and 21 months.  I've been on a fitness and weight loss journey since I joined at gym in January of 2009 in an attempt to finally lose the baby weight.  Last summer I did my first sprint tri and fell in love.  I'm down almost 20lbs now and am hoping to knock off another 15-20.

So far this year I'm scheduled for a 5k which is this Saturday and a 100km charity bike ride in June.  I'm planning to add at least one sprint and one oly to the schedule and, if all goes as planned, run a half marathon in the fall.
2010-04-07 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2774920

User image

Master

CyborgQueen - 2010-04-07 3:01 PM
TriAya - 2010-04-07 10:47 AM 

I like your style.

Finish and have fun means that you are going to be a BLAZING SUCCESS. Frankly, as you know, you're already there--30 lbs down is a big deal.

My mom is deaf. She can hear the differences between some tones and she lip-reads. She also had enough hearing through the first few years of her life that her speech is "normal" (I hate, hate, hate that word, but can't think of a suitable replacement right now).

She's late-deafened, sorta. I was born deaf. I was able to hear really well with my hearing aids and spoke "normal" lol (I still can't say spaghetti correctly though!), however, the last few years my residual hearing got progressively worse, so I researched into getting Cochlear implants. I got one on my left first, and I loved it so much that I was willing to go through another surgery to get the other side done after 4 months. It's awesome...I can hear crickets now. I couldn't before. So yeah...you take certain sounds for granted. I can even tell the difference between my dog's new rabies tag clicking against her other tag and the old rabies tag. They sound different. I wouldn't have been able to before.

Music - I've been a fan of Reba McEntire for 18 years. Favorite song is Fancy.
I'm liking Lady Gaga, and nice beat music, but I really like Ballads, probably because I can understand the music and hear the vocals better than a rock song blasting in my ears...literally. :-D

Ohhhh, Reba is goood stuff.  I like most of her songs.  Lady GaGa has some pretty good tunes as well.  I'm hit or miss with her though.  I either love it or don't like it at all.

I like Queen too.  80s big hair bands and a little Jimmy Buffett as well.

2010-04-07 3:15 PM
in reply to: #2774946

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Welcome fellow Chicagoan.
I did my first sprint last year and fell in love too (did a 2nd one too).
Any idea what sprint you're going to do this year? I have been debating doing a 1/2 marathon this fall here in Chicago too.  I am still in the fence so if anyone wants to push me in either direction go ahead Wink
2010-04-07 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2774964

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I'll probably do Pleasant Prairie sprint in June since that's the one I raced last year and I'd like to see how much progress I've made.  Then I'm looking at the Lake Zurich Olympic length in July.  Hubby and I have been wanting to do Muddy Buddy for a few years but it's pretty expensive for just a "fun" race once you factor in the cost of a day long babysitter.  If we don't do that then I'll probably enter the Bangs Lake tri although I'm not sure what distance. 

I haven't really researched my options for the half mary yet.  Right now the idea of running for 13 miles seems like a fantasy.  My top distance so far is 6 miles.  I probably won't register for anything until I feel confident that I can run the whole thing which means the decision will be put off for at least another 12 weeks. 
2010-04-07 3:27 PM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Yanti-Yoga sounds good. Perhaps they'll still have class tonight even though it's spring break for most schools so the gym cancels a bunch of classes. *sigh*

As for music...

I agree Tik Tok is great to run to. I have a lot of Britney and Lady Ga on my iPod specifically to run to.

2010-04-07 3:53 PM
in reply to: #2774633

User image

quincyf - 2010-04-07 1:55 PM
Lauren_Pgh - 2010-04-07 1:21 PM What kind of music?

Lol, love this question. I listen to a lot of different music. I mostly listen to rock and hip hop, but I listen to Rihanna, Akon, Chris brown, Ke$ha, Paramore, Linkin park, Owl city, Avril Lavigne, and many many more artists. My top 4 favorite songs from all of those people are....
1.) Vanilla twilight- Owl city
2.) Hard- Rihanna
3.) Tik tok- Ke$ha
4.) When your gone- Avril Lavigne
So those are some songs and artists that I listen to. So, what music do you listen to.Laughing
I like Chris Brown (Transformer gets a lot of play right now), Akon...I'll have to check out Tik Tok. I'm like a toddler with running music...I listen to the same thing over and over again for a long time...right now I am in a loop of Michael Franti, Train, Finger Eleven, and Franz Ferdinand, and Lady Gaga. I know, it makes no sense...
I'm the same way, and I love that song by Chris Brown also, I listen to it over and over again too. Lady Gaga has some good music, but the only reason I don't really listen to her music, is because she's on the weird side lol.
2010-04-07 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Can I be a Manatee again!?  Still haven't done my first race yet!
2010-04-07 9:02 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

All right---I"m trying, or should I say tri-ing this again. I posted a long bio of me earlier and it didn't show up.

Lynn--- lmscozz-- Like Yanti said, I've done 2 half-irons, the last one Ironman Oceanside a week ago, plus 1 marathon, 5 half-marathons and a few gazillion other tris. I'm probably NOT smarter than Yanti and I don't know about faster -- we've never raced each other!!

I've always been active, except marriage and family resulted in me neglecting my exercise at times. About 9 yeas ago I realized I couldn't wear any clothes in my closet anymore, so I joined a weight loss program and dropped 30 pounds. I've been able to keep it off and now work for that organization. It's really been a lifestyle change. Adding the activity component is just one piece of the puzzle to me staying healthy.

This is my second full season. I did my first 5K 2 1/2 years ago and only did that because I knew I could walk if I couldn't run it all. That's the way I approached my first 1/2 marathon as well -- knowing I could always walk if need be. I didn't walk in either, btw.

I started doing tris in 2008 after a friend died of breast cancer. Realizing life is too short and we need to tackle the things we want to while we can, I embarked on a BT beginner sprint tri training program. I did the sprint and survived and was hooked. Along the way I've researched and read as much as I can about tris and the swim,bike, run. I have had the help of a swim coach and another friend/coach who's designed my HIM training programs. I certainly do not know all the answers, but will seek the answers for any questions. Plus, thankfully, Yanti knows a LOT!!  I am a good cheerleader and believe we can support each other. I do believe I met some friends through BT and gained some insights and knowledge as well. I'd like to pass on anything that might be helpful to someone wanting to embrace the s/b/r lifestyle or any part of it.

Personal: I'm married, am 49, (yikes) and have a teenage son who's a freshman in high school. I have a dog, Augie, whos' kind of nutty and 3 kitties (now 1 and two years old).

It's never too late to tri --- It's never too late to be who you might have been either.

I look forward to sharing your journey with you.

Lynn

2010-04-07 9:58 PM
in reply to: #2774570

User image

Melon Presser
crews - 2010-04-08 3:44 AM

Lauren_Pgh - 2010-04-07 1:21 PM What kind of music?

Lol, love this question. I listen to a lot of different music. I mostly listen to rock and hip hop, but I listen to Rihanna, Akon, Chris brown, Ke$ha, Paramore, Linkin park, Owl city, Avril Lavigne, and many many more artists. My top 4 favorite songs from all of those people are....
1.) Vanilla twilight- Owl city
2.) Hard- Rihanna
3.) Tik tok- Ke$ha
4.) When your gone- Avril Lavigne
So those are some songs and artists that I listen to. So, what music do you listen to.Laughing

Tik Tok is a great song to run to!!  But, I'm all over the map with music.  Dancing Queen is a go to song for me if I can't get going. 

LOL! I frequently used to include "Dancing Queen" in my Spinning(R) classes and dedicate it to whoever was the really serious athlete/cyclist male in the room. Big cheers every time. Heh.

Oh yeah--I  forgot to include in my bio that I was the in-house Spinning(R) instructor at Spinning World Headquarters for a couple of years.

I LOVE where the music discussion went. Actually, LAUREN--I was asking about music since you said you were very involved in it since middle school, but less so now, so I was wondering if you did vocal or instrumental or groups or ... ???

I'm in a bit of a music vacuum here in Bali. The local music scene is outstanding, both Indonesian cultural music and Western-style genres by Indonesian artists. However, I'm definitely not up on all the "in" music in the States anymore. Lord knows I already spend too much time online (I wonder WHERE) without youtubing and iTunesing and  Limewireing and all that.

I sing in a choir here (alto) and will start teaching a basic notation/sight reading class for the choir members next week.

BECAUSE THE VAST MAJORITY OF TRI TRAINING SHOULD TAKE PLACE AT A CONVERSATIONAL PACE (you could hold a conversation while doing it) ... oh ... that was just cueing my first "tip" ...

I often sing/practice the choir numbers while biking or running since I don't have a conversation partner, and it's a reality check on whether my exertion is at an appropriate level.
2010-04-07 10:00 PM
in reply to: #2774903

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
CyborgQueen - 2010-04-07 2:56 PM

quincyf - 2010-04-07 11:47 AM
CyborgQueen - 2010-04-07 10:29 AM
   I'm kind of unique gal, as I'm deaf. I have two cochlear implants (and I have NO problem discussing CI's, deafness, deaf rights, blah blah...don't be afraid to ask questions), hence why I'm a Cyborg!
I have two cousins who are deaf...neither is a cyborg tho Oh, and my bra size is 34 B- and getting smaller with the more training I do...wah...

Coolies, my twins are your twins! *snickers*

Quadruplets. Hah!

2010-04-07 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2775885

User image

Melon Presser
quincyf - 2010-04-08 12:00 PM
   I'm kind of unique gal, as I'm deaf. I have two cochlear implants (and I have NO problem discussing CI's, deafness, deaf rights, blah blah...don't be afraid to ask questions), hence why I'm a Cyborg!
I have two cousins who are deaf...neither is a cyborg tho Oh, and my bra size is 34 B- and getting smaller with the more training I do...wah...

Quadruplets. Hah!

How did I miss the MICHAEL FRANTI mention before? Musta been all the boob talk

I know him fairly well! In fact I'm looking at a portrait of him right now (actually a copy) that my sister's husband painted for him--he has the original, as a gift. Michael spends a lot of his time here in Bali.
2010-04-07 10:08 PM

User image

Melon Presser
AAAARGH! You guys are so awesome and enthusiastic and lively and chatty--I can't finish replying to everything right now,--I gotta run off to an appointment here! BTW I'm a dog trainer and I write things. Get back to you later today (I think that would be tomorrow for you guys. We're 12-15 hours ahead of the U.S. mainland here in Bali).

2010-04-07 10:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY

So do you have room for another in your group?   If so I need the motivation!
2010-04-08 1:49 AM
in reply to: #2775896

User image

Master
Sin City
TriAya - 2010-04-07 8:08 PM AAAARGH! You guys are so awesome and enthusiastic and lively and chatty--I can't finish replying to everything right now,--I gotta run off to an appointment here! BTW I'm a dog trainer and I write things. Get back to you later today (I think that would be tomorrow for you guys. We're 12-15 hours ahead of the U.S. mainland here in Bali).

Oooh! A dog trainer! Awesome...now tell me how I can make my doggie, Stardust to stop visiting the litter boxes and be nice to certain cats. :-)  I taught my dog how to dance using sign language, how to sit both verbally and in sign language, she can roll over, and she can give "Fist bumps". :-

I have 4 cats and a doggie. Keno, Reno, Mocha and Hobbes are the cats' names. Now who can tell me which ones were adopted in Vegas? :-)
2010-04-08 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2775885

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
quincyf - 2010-04-07 10:00 PM

Quadruplets. Hah!

This time last year I was nursing my son with 38Ds.  With the weight loss and weaning I'm a 34 B now too.  My husband can't tell which bras are mine and which are our daughters!

Does that make it sextuplets?

2010-04-08 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2776495

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Am I the token male in this thread?  If so, is that ok with everyone??!
2010-04-08 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2776705

User image

Master

blackledge - 2010-04-08 9:20 AM Am I the token male in this thread?  If so, is that ok with everyone??!

I think so.  Sometimes we need a male's point of view.  And I think girls can be helpful since we don't respond to everything with a truckload of testosterone

2010-04-08 10:20 AM

User image

Master

thndrcloud - 2010-04-08 8:31 AM

Quadruplets. Hah!

This time last year I was nursing my son with 38Ds.  With the weight loss and weaning I'm a 34 B now too.  My husband can't tell which bras are mine and which are our daughters!

Too funny!  I'm in the B boat as well, but sporting a 38

2010-04-08 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2776949

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Thanks!  And I totally agree with you.  I like having a woman's perspective quite often as well.
Maybe we should close this thread before your bra size discussion draws unneccesary attention Innocent
2010-04-08 10:23 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
CyborgQueen-Your dog can fist bump? That's pretty funny. My family has 3 cats. One is a spoiled little princess, one is the size of a small jungle cat, and one is pantophobic. Life is never dull.

I don't mind a token male as long as said token male doesn't mind boob talk. :P

The ankle is definitely feeling better and I'm looking at getting back into training on Saturday. I think I'll go for a run, then do some yoga. If the pool isn't packed at the Y, I may throw in a swim. I'm definitely not going biking because the trail is always uber busy on weekends. I also have 2 hours of dance rehearsal Saturday afternoon.

If they're still holding the super sprint on May 2, I'm going to sign up for that and view it as a training day. It's just a matter of whether or not they're still going to hold it. Last I heard, they were thinking of canceling it. Eep!

P.S. I'm a 34C right now.

2010-04-08 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
thndrcloud - 2010-04-08 8:31 AM

Quadruplets. Hah!

How old is your son? I have a 15 month old boy and a 5yo girl. LMAO on the daughter/mommy bra confusion...I am sure that's on the horizon for me...
2010-04-08 10:29 AM

User image

Master

Scottie - glad you ankle is feeling better.

I think we have everyone's sizes now, so that topic will probably fade.

I have 2 wiemeriners (sp?) and a cat.  Both weims were adopted from families that just didn't have the time a patients for them.  The girl, Porsche, is very sweet and will do all sorts of behaviors.  The newest addition, Banjo, is...well...special.  He's just not all there, but we love him to bits.  The cat has just now come around to being ok with Banjo (after 6 monts) so we're all a big happy family again.

2010-04-08 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2776973

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Scottie07 - 2010-04-08 10:23 AM

CyborgQueen-Your dog can fist bump? That's pretty funny. My family has 3 cats. One is a spoiled little princess, one is the size of a small jungle cat, and one is pantophobic. Life is never dull.

My Pug Girl, Gladys, does a pretty nice high five. Her brother, "The Colonel" is a complete obedience fail...ok, it's my fault, but he IS a punk.
2010-04-08 10:33 AM

User image

Master

Yoga and a bike ride for today.

What does everyone else have planned?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60