BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2010-04-15 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2772633

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Subject: RE: Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-OPEN
I'm using the BT 16 week balanced plan for a sprint.  My Tri is July 10 so I started with week five of the plan.  Yesterday I did my first "long" swim.  24 minutes, and I covered 1000 yds, and 800 before resting for 20 secs.  Which means I covered the distance for my sprint in july.  Now I just need to focus on improving endurance and time.  I did this with a combination of free and breast stroke, so I would like to get to the point where I can cover the distance using all free.

2010-04-15 8:21 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
The race in Ruidoso NM was very fun!  It is a beautiful place that I love, but could un-fortunately not keep living there because the golf business is in the tank! 

I am training using the 12 week sprint to olympic bridge in the silver member plans.  It is a lot of volume that I have some trouble keeping up with, but I feel like I am increasing in volume.

Awesome plan, awesome web-site, awesome group.

Dave.
2010-04-15 9:02 AM

User image

NH
I'd like to join to have a summer group.  I'm following you around Jennifer!

I'm crazy busy this morning so I'll post info later - short story - 48 year old dad just getting addicted to tris after a sprint last fall. 
2010-04-15 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2793510

User image

Master
Warren,
Welcome aboard!
Looking forward to your story!

2010-04-15 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2789682

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
eliwashere - 2010-04-13 7:21 PM

I would think you will be fine on the diamondback. What kind of tires does it have? I rode my first 7 or so triathlons with a hybrid that I put road tires on. It worked fine.

Right now I have semi-hybrid tires.  They are pretty knobby on the outside, and smoother in the middle, not smooth though.  I have been thinking about changing to Road Tire but have not pulled the trigger due to the fact I ride on the Erie Canal path which is not paved but a nice gravel path.  It is fairly straight so losing it around a corner really isn't going to be an issue.   I do like banging around in the woods with my dog though.  That is much closer to single track mountain bike riding.  I don't go that hard though as I have my shepard running along side me.

Did a 10 minute mile today during my short run, pretty pumped about that.  Not sure I have ever been able to do that before.
2010-04-15 1:17 PM

User image

NH

STORY: 48 year old who was an overweight ex-athlete coach potato.  2 years ago I woke up 35 pounds overweight with striking heart disease risks factors.  Used south beach and P90x+ to lose most of the excess weight and build some lean muscle back, though I am doing neither anymore.  Started playing hockey again and biking as a hobby.  Last summer, while rehabbing some tendinitis, my PT started talking about triathlons and IMLP.  One afternoon late summer I sat on the dock at the lake and decided I would try a sprint.  I jumped in the lake and almost drowned after 25 yards, and decided not to do the sprint.  The next weekend I decided it was time to HTFU and learn to swim, and I completed my first (and only) sprint  this past Sept.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 15 years to an amazing woman who is a runner.  She's mainly supportive of my addiction but I have to keep training impact on family life in check.  We have three boys 13, 11, 8.  My 13 year old is doing a sprint with me in June, or at least the kids version!  The 8 year old has Down syndrome so that adds some complexity, though also a lot of joy, to our life.

CURRENT TRAINING: I spent the winter becoming a runner while keeping the bike from going totally away loosely using Jorge's cycling plan.  Swimming hasn't really started yet for me this year.  I plan to run and bike 3 or 4 times a week each.  Swimming will be as often as I can fit it in, and once summer comes I'll do a lot of OWS in the lake where we have a summer cottage.  Unfortunately for me, swimming appears to be my most natural of the three sports.

2009 RACES: I started training in August, and completed the Mainiac sprint tri in Sept.  This is the same race Jennifer wrote her article about.  A perfect set up for my first, and even though I turned a 450 yard swim into 550 yards with some crazy navigation, it was a blast and I'm addicted.

2010 RACES: Great Bay half marathon in April (completed), Eastman and Timerberman sprints, Black Fly Tri International, Pumpkinman HIM in Sept. is the A race.  Maybe another sprint next month so I can have a positive experience after bonking in the half marathon.

WEIGHT LOSS: 215 two years ago, and down to 175-180 now.  Losing weight is not really a target anymore.

2010-04-15 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2793653

User image

Expert
chmoore2 - 2010-04-15 10:47 AM
Did a 10 minute mile today during my short run, pretty pumped about that.  Not sure I have ever been able to do that before.

Dude!! Major milestone! Congrats, that's really awesome.

I am still struggling with balancing work and family and training - hence my 9pm run tonight. And my unspecific training plan. I need help! Someone tell me what I need to run to finish my half-marathon on June 6th, preferably sub two hours. I am working with a hybrid of plans right now and I don't feel focused enough.

Edited by trysprintolympic 2010-04-15 9:33 PM
2010-04-15 9:57 PM

User image

Master
Aaarrrrrggggh,
Busy day.
Bought a condo (actually, my wife did, but I still signed the paperwork). Moving next month.
Filed tax extension.
Got bike swag at Trek bike maintenance demo.

Too busy to post for real.

You all rock!
More to follow!!!!

2010-04-16 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2795292

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
trysprintolympic - 2010-04-15 10:32 AM
I am still struggling with balancing work and family and training - hence my 9pm run tonight. And my unspecific training plan. I need help! Someone tell me what I need to run to finish my half-marathon on June 6th, preferably sub two hours. I am working with a hybrid of plans right now and I don't feel focused enough.

I used the Half Marathon plan from this site and I have been very happy with it. Running at a slow HR at the beginning was challenging (because it meant running VERY slow), but my speed has improved dramatically and I have every confidence that I will be able to finish. I know Warren just finished a half marathon as well - but I'm not too sure what training program he used...Warren?

Runner's World also has some training programs (for different distances) on their web site that might be fun to check out.

Balancing everything has been the biggest challenge for me - which is one of the big reasons that I get one workout in before anyone is awake. I try to get the second one in during my "lunch" break during the week (fortunately, I work from home - so I have quite a bit of flexibility) - but this means that I have to do long workouts on the weekends primarily. During ski season, it wasn't a problem (just send the family to the local ski area), but with summer upon us, I'm going to have to get creative with fitting it in.
2010-04-16 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
It looks like we have our first race of the season - Outlawdave316 is running a 10K on Saturday. Best of luck!
2010-04-16 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2795702

User image

NH
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-04-16 8:30 AM
trysprintolympic - 2010-04-15 10:32 AM

I used the Half Marathon plan from this site and I have been very happy with it. Running at a slow HR at the beginning was challenging (because it meant running VERY slow), but my speed has improved dramatically and I have every confidence that I will be able to finish. I know Warren just finished a half marathon as well - but I'm not too sure what training program he used...Warren?

Runner's World also has some training programs (for different distances) on their web site that might be fun to check out.

Balancing everything has been the biggest challenge for me - which is one of the big reasons that I get one workout in before anyone is awake. I try to get the second one in during my "lunch" break during the week (fortunately, I work from home - so I have quite a bit of flexibility) - but this means that I have to do long workouts on the weekends primarily. During ski season, it wasn't a problem (just send the family to the local ski area), but with summer upon us, I'm going to have to get creative with fitting it in.

I didn't use a specific plan from anywhere, but I followed the general idea of run a lot, mostly slow, sometimes fast.

I hadn't run before last Oct. so I built up slowly, using the 10% rule for overall time/volume as well as long run time/distance.  I tried to run 3 times during the week, and one long run on the weekend.  I sometimes added a recovery run the day after the long run since it just felt better to run than rest, but pace was unimportant. 

I felt totally prepared, but I also bonked due to pre-race nutrition issues so maybe I'm not the best source for info!  Check my race report for the details.  My advice is take the distance seriously, and really think about all the little things.  Go very easy to start, and if you feel good make up time later.

2010-04-16 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-FULL..ish
Hey All,
OK, so it looks like we are going to close our doors!

Here is the group so far:
trysprintolympic Jenna Half Marathon June 6
itsallrelative_Maine Jennifer -Half Marathon May 9
enann Elizabeth My "A" race is NYC July 18th
chmoore2 Charlie July 10 tri
outlawdave316 Dave Oceans of Hope 10K April 17,Bikesource sprint triathlon May 19
wbayek Warren Eastman and Timerberman sprints
Eliwashere Eli Not specific close race. IM Cozumel in Nov.

So, we have some good chatter already. I think I already saw many of your "up and coming races"

Hopefully you are all getting in some good training. I think I added everyone to my friend list, and I suggest you do the same so we can all see each others logs and such.

Glad to "meet" you all, and looking forward to it.

Edited by eliwashere 2010-04-16 11:14 AM
2010-04-16 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2795292

User image

Master

Ahh, to plan or not to plan.....
So, here is my 2 cents. My first 4 marathons and 3 half marathons were run with what I would call a  general plan. I followed a beginner runners plan. My total focus was on making sure I got three runs(3-6 miles) and the long run in each week.
This was the "just get to the finish" prep. It worked pretty well, and I did see general improvement.
I would say that overall, you need at least 3 sessions to maintain fitness and 4 to boost. 

I then started to think about my times. So, I added, or changed, one of the workouts to be either tempo or hill. This usually took the place of one of the "shorter" runs.
Now that I cared about time, I tried to make all of my running generally faster (expect the long one) and the tempo run at or faster than 1/2 marathon goal pace (9 min 9 sec for a 2 hour).
It seemed to work, and I broke 2 hours on a half (1:59:50).

Then I got CRAZY. I bought the Run less, Run faster book and started following the program and using my normal tri training as the cross training. I cut 9 more minutes off my time for the 1/2 marathon!!! Lots more fast running, but easier to balance with life schedule.

So, I guess, my advice is to either:
1. Make a general plan. Focus on the long run and the tempo run for sure and get in the other miles as needed. try for 4 days a week.
2. Follow the FIRST plan. I think it rocks!

Hope that helps.

2010-04-16 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full-Ish
Hey All, 
I will be AFK this weekend. Doing the MS 150 down here in Miami. We ride 75 miles from the Homestead speedway on Sat and then back on Sunday. Camping at John Pennekamp. I love this event, and this year my wife is riding with me.

Also, to add to it's coolness, I get to demo a Trek Madone 5 on Saturday. I just found out that it has the new Electronic shifters. This will be awesome. I get to combine my tri-geek habits with my technology geek habits!!! 
Anyway, I apologize in advance if things get crazy on the forum and I don't respond. See you all after the weekend.
Good luck on the 10 K Dave!!
Good training and resting for everyone else!! 
2010-04-16 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2794312

User image

Master
wbayek - 2010-04-15 1:17 PM

ago, and down to 175-180 now.  Losing weight is not really a target anymore.

Warren,
How did you do it? Gradual loss, food tracking, diet and then maintenance....
I want to lose my last few before Nov. and figure now is the time. 
2010-04-16 11:56 AM

User image

NH
Have fun on that ride Eli.  As far as we all go, what does everyone prefer to be called?  I'm fine with Warren, but for instance I want to be sure if Jennifer likes (or hates) Jen, we use the right salutation.

Rock that 10k Dave.

Way cool on demo'ing that Trek Eli.  One of the roadies here at work has been coveting those electronic shifters, so I'd love to hear your impression.

I have a good friend here at work following the FIRST method for a marathon.  He was pretty fast going into it, and he's definitely seeing huge improvements.  It's very intense and challenging.  I debated using it for my half, but I can't imagine following it as part of a tri plan since the intensity wouldn't allow me recovery and time for any intense biking.  But I'm old so I take a long time to recover!

2010-04-16 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2796503

User image

NH
eliwashere - 2010-04-16 12:52 PM
wbayek - 2010-04-15 1:17 PM

ago, and down to 175-180 now.  Losing weight is not really a target anymore.

Warren,
How did you do it? Gradual loss, food tracking, diet and then maintenance....
I want to lose my last few before Nov. and figure now is the time. 

I lost it gradually and now the "diet" is really just a permanent change in my eating habits.  Nothing earth shattering, but like most things the basics work if you stay consistent. 

I now eat lots of vegetables and fruits, only whole grains and less than I used to, a variety of lower fat protein sources, nuts as snacks.  Occasional cheat meal/day and dessert when I feel like.  High GI foods mainly in the morning and post-workout.

I'm an addictive personality (anyone else fit that profile? Laughing ), so when I decided to get myself out of the high risk heart attack zone I really dug in and read and studied and took it on.

I started by using South Beach, mainly because I was addicted to sugar.  Of all types.  And then I started in with P90x+, I figured why wade in when you can dive?

I definitely tracked food for a while just to be sure I really understood what and how much I was eating.  And I have to disclose I'd done a fair amount of studying on eating and diet for a while since this topic really always fascinated me, despite my rotund nature.  But at this point, I really don't think much about eating in any special way as my current method of food intake has just become habit.  With some tighter discipline I could certainly lose more, but at this point I don't want to go there.

Edited by wbayek 2010-04-16 12:28 PM
2010-04-16 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Whoa, wait - I was training for a marathon late last year before I had to stop because I changed jobs and had no time to train for ~3 months but at the time it was the FIRST plan I was following. I got so much crap from BTers about using FIRST for my first marathon that I specifically didn't pick it back up when I started to train again! People were telling me that the paces were way too fast and that I was guaranteed to injure myself. They told me that my first marathon plan should just be to finish and worry about times afterward. I really wanted to finish my first marathon sub-4:00, but I think I have realized that might be unrealistic. I still really want to finish my half sub-2:00 though!

My training plan issues stem from trying to merge a half-mary plan with an OLY tri plan. Then later in the summer that will overlap with a full-mary plan. Maybe I should just stick with running plans and throw in some bike rides or swims wherever I can? I'm a fairly strong cyclist but a pretty crappy swimmer.
2010-04-16 11:26 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Thanks for all the good wishes for the race tomorrow!  It will be as long as I have ever raced in my life!

Eli, how do I friend someone?  I can't seem to find that information anywhere. 

Thanks again everyone, I will give 'er the business!

Dave.
2010-04-17 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2797842

User image

NH
outlawdave316 - 2010-04-17 12:26 AM Thanks for all the good wishes for the race tomorrow!  It will be as long as I have ever raced in my life!

Eli, how do I friend someone?  I can't seem to find that information anywhere. 

Thanks again everyone, I will give 'er the business!

Dave.

Hit the settings wrench at the top of the page, then hit "Training Blog customization", then "Friends".  Then manually add our BT names, and then hit "update friends"

2010-04-17 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2797573

User image

NH
trysprintolympic - 2010-04-16 9:26 PM Whoa, wait - I was training for a marathon late last year before I had to stop because I changed jobs and had no time to train for ~3 months but at the time it was the FIRST plan I was following. I got so much crap from BTers about using FIRST for my first marathon that I specifically didn't pick it back up when I started to train again! People were telling me that the paces were way too fast and that I was guaranteed to injure myself. They told me that my first marathon plan should just be to finish and worry about times afterward. I really wanted to finish my first marathon sub-4:00, but I think I have realized that might be unrealistic. I still really want to finish my half sub-2:00 though!

My training plan issues stem from trying to merge a half-mary plan with an OLY tri plan. Then later in the summer that will overlap with a full-mary plan. Maybe I should just stick with running plans and throw in some bike rides or swims wherever I can? I'm a fairly strong cyclist but a pretty crappy swimmer.

There is a huge BT contingent that strongly believes high intensity running leads to injuries.  In general I agree there is more risk of injury with high intensity running, but I think there is also risk in more time running at any speed.  If you can build up running slowly and have plenty of time to build to high volume, that seems the "safest" route.  But getting to required volumes for good marathon running is not necessarily a real possibility (or desire) for most of us with limited time, thus the popularity of plans like FIRST.

I think you may be shooting for two goals, which can lead to optimizing for neither.  Training for marathons and training for triathlon are really not compatible goals, imo.   I would suggest picking one avenue, and focusing on that.  If you want to run tris while you’re really doing marathon training, that’s great but accept that your real focus is running and the tris are for fun.

If you want to run as a first priority, the FIRST plan uses cross training days, so I'd use those for cycling and swimming.  And just accept that the cycling and swimming part of tris will be under trained.  I think most of us are crappy swimmers!

2010-04-17 6:47 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
10K knocked out, I was planning for sub 1:05, and came in in 55:36!  Way excited except that I need to re-do my LT field test I think.  I was shooting for under 10 min. miles and actually was closer to 9 min. miles!  I felt good the whole time, paced well towards the end, I don't think I could have run much faster at all.  I really enjoyed the race, and it gave me confidence in finishing my Olympic distance tri. well.  It also gave me confidence to finish my half marathon in the 2:30 range.  I feel like I did pretty well for a fat guy!
Dave.
2010-04-17 8:30 PM

User image

Expert
That is so excellent, Dave! Great work - keep it up!!
2010-04-17 10:54 PM
in reply to: #2798726

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Nice Job Dave!!
2010-04-18 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2798726

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
outlawdave316 - 2010-04-17 7:47 AM 10K knocked out, I was planning for sub 1:05, and came in in 55:36! 

That's EXCELLENT! What a great run - and so nice to make it (well) under your expected time. Congratulations!

As for what I liked to be called: Jen is fine with me, I've been called worse Wink. Seriously, it doesn't matter to me as long as when you are talking to me, I know it's me...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full Rss Feed  

of 25