Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-04-20 10:48 PM
in reply to: #2805092

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: Tony Zamora's group - Open
@italiantp3 - Welcome to the group and takes for serving!

Sounds like your options are limited until you return.  I would focus more training on running, since thats what you have, along with some short, high intensity bike workouts (intervals) on the stationary bike. 

I would use the weights to do very light lifting, which focuses on swim muscles- tri's, bi's, shoulders, back. 

Use this time to focus on core workouts too!

2010-04-20 10:52 PM
in reply to: #2805120

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
@msaskin - Welcome!  Sounds like you have a good plan already going, and working with Team In Training will really help you out!

How tall are you?  Doing a HIM takes a toll on the body.  Ramp up your running slowley so you don't over do it and have to take the sidelines with injury!  Your cycling seems like you won't have any problems!
2010-04-20 10:55 PM
in reply to: #2805896

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
@landguy - Welcome and conragts on both the Anniversary and getting ready for your first tri!

Seems like you are in the right direction.  I would stop doing the elliptical though.  I know you have shin plints, but you want to focus your time on training specific workouts to get the most of it - the elliptical isn't going to cut it.

You can do 2 things; spend more time on the bike or in the pool with minimal running - or - get on the treadmill, but the incline as high as it goes, and walk at a brisk pace.  It shouldn't bother your shin splints, and will give you a workout similar to running.
2010-04-21 2:01 AM
in reply to: #2797444

User image

Extreme Veteran
Townsville
NAME: Spanner - Dave to non forumites
STORY: I am Australian..... not enough? Oh ...Ok .... I am a fairly fat and exhausted type. I am an office worker by vocation and not by choice. I became interested in the concept of Triathlons from a mother of three who seemed so ..... buff and healthy. I started to train and then life just got in the way.
Now I want to join either the QFRS (Queensland Fire and Rescue Service) or the EMQ Helicopter Rescue in Townsville, North Queensland.
FAMILY STATUS: I hae a wifey who has chronic fatigue and chronic whinging .... one is legitimate and I respect the other gives me the irrits. I have two wonderfully yet challenging Children. A 6yr old Girl and a 3 year old boy.
CURRENT TRAINING:  I am swimming two times a week with no real issues and running 5 - 6 times a week ...Last two weeks are an exception as I had to do work. I have issues with running in that I have never truly been a runner and I have never truley enjoyed running. I do not have a serviceable bike at the moment but am gearing up for that. I do love riding and have done heaps in the past but have not been on a bike for about 10 years.
THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I am signed up for a OWS this weekend for a 2.7 km swim along the Ross River here in Townsville. This will be my first OWS and my First race ......in anything ....... ever (not including school swim carnivals). I am very excited.
2009 RACES:  did nothting last year.......at all!
WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to lose about 10 - 15 Kilos. I weigh about 95 - 97 kilos . If my conversions are right I am about 213 pounds.  That seems like an awful lot. No wonder I like Kilos!!!!
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD Mentee: I do actually listen and do actully do what I am told. I guess that is why my wife still lets me live in the house. I am toilet trained and like to learn.
2010-04-21 6:03 AM
in reply to: #2806086

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Hi Tony,

Nope, not a runner, never have been  but I am not 100% sure it is shin splints since the cramping/pain is more on the outside of the shin, not towards the inside - or at least it had not been until this last workout.  Since Monday's workout,  I have had discomfort on the inside of the shin which is totally different than what I had been feeling/experiencing.  Guessing it is time to head to the orthopedist/sports med guy to find out. 
2010-04-21 9:50 AM
in reply to: #2806109

User image

Regular
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
tzcoaching - 2010-04-20 11:52 PM @msaskin - Welcome!  Sounds like you have a good plan already going, and working with Team In Training will really help you out!

How tall are you?  Doing a HIM takes a toll on the body.  Ramp up your running slowley so you don't over do it and have to take the sidelines with injury!  Your cycling seems like you won't have any problems!

A key piece of information...I'm 220 @ 6'1".  I'm definitely ramping up the running bit by bit.  I'm now at about 5-6 miles without feeling dead, and with little to no soreness the next day.  My primary goal is to build up endurance while running - I run out of breath (and start hitting higher heart rates) well before I run out of legs.  For the next cycle of training w/ TNT we're going to be moving on to some hill work, so that should give some nice cardio to get things moving.

For everyone - what's your general training schedule look like?  How many times/week at various activities?  What are your area(s) of focus?

-matthew

2010-04-21 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2806808

User image

Veteran

For everyone - what's your general training schedule look like?  How many times/week at various activities?  What are your area(s) of focus?

-matthew

My schedule is pretty balanced right now.  2x running, swimming and biking a week.  I'll probably keep that up until I complete my first race and then I'll dial it in a little more.  Biking and swimming are unknowns for me, I don't know really how I stack up at this point.  I could probably stand to get in the pool a little more though...
2010-04-21 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2803298

User image

, Arizona
tzcoaching - 2010-04-19 9:47 PM Synon - great race!  Great bike and run splits!  Are you planning on doing sprints or doing longer events? 

Yes, you can improve some time on the swim.  You could probably shave a few minutes off that time.  How far ahead was 1st overall?  

Don't spend TOO much time swimming though.  Your already strong and fast and it might not be worth it to spend TOO many additional hours in the pool - the cost (time spent in pool), might not outweight the benefits (time improved).

I don't have any sprints planned at the moment, just the HIM. A friend of mine who got me interested in triathlon recommended I try and do an olympic before the HIM, so I may look into that, I just wish there were more local races (the one I'm planning to do is pretty much the only local one).

I still feel like I have a lot of work to do in the water, especially with how little I have been training for the swim, I'd like to swim at least 2x a week and i'm struggling with even that much. I do have an advantage over the compitition here though, we live at 7,000 feet so everyone is not used to the lack of oxygen and it takes some time for everyone to find a pace and catch their breath... though I think that will count for less during a longer race.

1st overall was 7 minutes ahead of me, 4 of those minutes were from being a faster swimmer.

And hello everyone else! I'm very excited to train with all of you and share information!Laughing
2010-04-21 12:08 PM

If the group is still open, I would like to join.  II am not a lifelong athlete - in fact,  was not active at all until about 3 years ago - I lost 115 pounds with Weight Watchers (reached goal in May 2007), and started with a local Galloway group in northeast Florida and started running marathons.  I have run 6 marathons to date.  I am not very fast, but I would like to improve.  I had a setback with surgery last year, but I am finally getting fitness back.  

I eneted a duathlon in March, and enjoyed it - more importantly, I was not last!  I hope to do a sprint triathlon in July or August of this year.

Thanks!

Robbie
2010-04-21 2:19 PM

I'd love advice if you're still taking mentees.

NAME: Amber
STORY: I'm a runner and by that I mean I slowly plod along in several races a year. This year I decided to switch it up a bit and try a triathlon. My main goal this year is to get faster in my lower mileage races and to complete one or two tris.
FAMILY STATUS:
I'm 26 and it is just me and my two darling kitties 
CURRENT TRAINING:
  As running is my main thing, I've combined a marathon base building plan with one of the BT training programs. So it's pretty much the BT program but with a bit higher mileage. I'm still struggling with the swimming.
THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I'm signed up for my first sprint tri on May 16th (and I'm a bit flipped out about it cause I have no idea what I'm doing) I'm also signed up for a handful of 5 and 10ks, a 10 miler, a half and a full. If the sprint tri goes well and I don't drown, I'd like to sign up for another tri this year too.
2009 RACES:  Only running. 5 and 10ks and at least one half
WEIGHTLOSS:
I'm 5'10 and weigh about 170. I'd love to lose 10-ish pounds but won't be devastated if it doesn't happen.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD Mentee:
I know very little about tris, so anything and everything you share with me will be helpful! I'd love to know more about the sport and maybe get a little better at it! I'll listen to advice and apply it as best I can!!

2010-04-21 2:41 PM

User image

New user

Utah
Looking forward to being a part of this mentor group. I am training for my first triathlon. I am registered for the Price City (Utah) Lunatic Triathlon on June 25th as a starter and a guage to see if I am ready for the Scofield Triathlon July 17th.

I have been a mountain biker for more than 20 years and within the last two years decided I needed to become healthier physically, mentally and spiritually. My friends had been running for a while and I decided "hey I can do that." My first half marathon was the Canyonlands Half in Moab March 2009 and since then I have lost an additional 35lbs, dropped 25 minutes off my time, and completed a duathlon (San Rafael Classic).

I AM ADDICTED.

My friend then said, "Why don't we do a triathlon?" I did not swim very well (actually at all, my swimming would consist of floating long enough to make my peace with God as the boat sank) but I decided, what the hell! I guess I am just a lemming in spandex! We have been training for several months now and each day my swim is getting better.

I can honestly say that running saved my life. I was diagnosed with diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, extremely high triglycerides, severe headaches and a whole bunch of other crap. I was taking pills three times a day. One day I was at my parents house and I noticed that they each had at least 10 medicines. I did not want to be like that so the next weekend I found a running program on Runner's World and got on a treadmill...I never looked back so to speak.

Running not only strengthened my body but there was something about a long run where my head would empty and I was at peace. Mentally and spiritually I reached a level running that had never been reached before.

Thanks!
Dondra

2010-04-21 4:22 PM

Ok so my scheduale SUCKS here 12 on 12 mon-sunday maybe a little less on sunday but I really dont have much time to work out. If i over sleep just a tad I cant go work out and I can only put probably like a hr in the gym unless I wake up earlier! I guess I need to get les sleep to work out more.

I want to do bricks every day...Someone I work with has done tris shes in amazing shape and she told me I should do bricks every day and rest one day.

Does that seem like to much? I want to lift weights too I just don't know how to implement them into my work out..before or after I run or just lift every other day and dont run and bike every day or do all three every day does any one have any suggestions...i need to make more time for myself in the gym because a hr isn't cutting it..sigh

2010-04-21 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2808370

User image

Veteran
italiantp3 - 2010-04-21 4:22 PM
I want to lift weights too I just don't know how to implement them into my work out..before or after I run or just lift every other day and dont run and bike every day or do all three every day does any one have any suggestions...i need to make more time for myself in the gym because a hr isn't cutting it..sigh

If it were me I'd focus on event specific training now since you're strapped for time and save the weight training for the offseason. 
2010-04-21 7:19 PM

User image

wisconsin
Do we know who is in or out yet?
2010-04-21 7:24 PM

I'm assuming that since this group's still open, you're taking mentees still! 

NAME: Alyssa
STORY:  I'm 22 (turning 23 next month), & I've gone back & forth between a consistent exercise regimes & nothing at all, but lately I've been doing cardio 5-6 times a week.  I used to hate running, but now I'm starting to like it, though I can't run more than 5 minutes at a time (it's more like a jog).  I love biking/cycling as well, though I haven't been using any resistance when I use the upright bike at my local gym.  I don't swim, but I'm certainly willing to try to train! 
FAMILY STATUS: I'm still living at home with my parents--weird, I know!--but I'm single.  Though my dog Jack is my one true love Laughing
CURRENT TRAINING:
  I'm going to use the 22-week beginner triathlon training plan on this site -- though, being that it's midway through the week, I'm planning on starting it next week.  Plus, since I've already been biking and walking/running, I'll focus on swimming at the beginning. 
THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Haven't signed up for anything as of yet -- I want to wait and see how I do in the first couple weeks. 
2009 RACES:  Zip!! 
WEIGHTLOSS:
I'm 5'0" (yep I'm super short!) and around 104/5, and I used to be really fit & thin (around 92), so I'd like to get back to that.  But even losing 5 lbs would be enough for me.  As long as I'm in excellent shape!! 
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD Mentee: I have a decent amount of time during the week to train -- some weeks will be busier than others but I'll make do.  I'm willing to learn and to work hard! 
2010-04-21 9:59 PM
in reply to: #2803253

User image

tzcoaching - 2010-04-19 11:57 PM Hey Julie - welcome to the group! Did someone say cookies??? ) Don't say you never plan on winning a try; if you want to and work for it you can do it! My very 1st race, I finished DEAD last. I was barely finishing the swim, and people were finishing the race already! Made it a goal to come back and get on the podium. After a few years, I came back, won my age by like 13 min and placed top 10 overall! So if you want it and work for it, there is no reason you can't get it (or give em' hell trying!)

Ha ha...no, I didn't mean that I couldn't win or that it wouldn't be nice, I meant that winning was not my goal, at least not yet...more shooting for a bit better than just finishing the race. 
Funny enough, on my 1st tri (end of last summer) I did simultaneously get 3rd to last overall and 3rd in my age division though I never heard my name called, so I forgot to pick up my medal, because I didn't know I won one.  Tongue out

2010-04-22 1:12 AM
in reply to: #2808370

User image

, Arizona
italiantp3 - 2010-04-21 2:22 PM

Ok so my scheduale SUCKS here 12 on 12 mon-sunday maybe a little less on sunday but I really dont have much time to work out. If i over sleep just a tad I cant go work out and I can only put probably like a hr in the gym unless I wake up earlier! I guess I need to get les sleep to work out more.

I want to do bricks every day...Someone I work with has done tris shes in amazing shape and she told me I should do bricks every day and rest one day.

Does that seem like to much? I want to lift weights too I just don't know how to implement them into my work out..before or after I run or just lift every other day and dont run and bike every day or do all three every day does any one have any suggestions...i need to make more time for myself in the gym because a hr isn't cutting it..sigh

Bricks every day? Interesting... from what I've heard the more experienced triathlete say is that bricks are great for getting the feeling of transitioning from one discipline to the next, but you are better off just going longer with whatever workout you started with. (for those of you who don't know what a brick is, it's when you do one discipline right after another... so jumping on the bike immediately after a swim, or running immediately after a bike ride) I did some bike/run bricks before my race last year to know what the switch felt like, but I don't think they are going to increase your fitness any more than sticking with a single discipline. 

If your focus is to do your race as fast as possible definitely don't swap running/biking/swimming for weight lifting if you are limited on time, it will do very little to help you build your aerobic system.
2010-04-22 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2809091

Bricks every day? Interesting... from what I've heard the more experienced triathlete say is that bricks are great for getting the feeling of transitioning from one discipline to the next, but you are better off just going longer with whatever workout you started with. (for those of you who don't know what a brick is, it's when you do one discipline right after another... so jumping on the bike immediately after a swim, or running immediately after a bike ride) I did some bike/run bricks before my race last year to know what the switch felt like, but I don't think they are going to increase your fitness any more than sticking with a single discipline. 

If your focus is to do your race as fast as possible definitely don't swap running/biking/swimming for weight lifting if you are limited on time, it will do very little to help you build your aerobic system.

Can i get anyone elses oppinion on this? I did both today just to see what it would be liek i ddi about 35 mins on the bike and about 17 mins run it sucks my time is so limited...so maybe I shouldnt do bricks every day but my question is why dont people do bricks more often in there training? Being in the army it has been drilled in me train as you fight so the triathalon being the fight wouldnt be best to do both in a workout? Honestly being very new to this sport Ill take any advice i can get because I don't know what I am doing...so should U just run a whole lot one day and bike the next?
2010-04-22 10:06 PM
in reply to: #2810665

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
The reason you don't want to do bricks everyday is because there is a higher risk of overuse injuries.  Yes, it's probably good to do them frequently to train your muscles and mind to get use to that transition, but in reality doing every day is going to do more harm then good.

I would suggest at least once a week, as a longer workout.  Maybe a long bikeride followed by a short quick run if you don't have the time. 

Definetly don't do them everyday if your limited on time.  If you only have 45 min a day to workout, your really not building your endurance base in any sport since your breaking it up.  Spend the entire 45 min concentrating on one sport.
2010-04-23 8:27 AM

The Neutral Zone
Subject: RE: Tony Zamora's group - FULL

I dont know if you have room for one more?
 Just let me know and i will post my bio for everyone.

Edited by Hoelekengoeleken 2010-04-23 8:29 AM
2010-04-23 3:05 PM

Thanks Tony and Sinon..i am geting the same reveiws from everyone focus on one sport at a time during your work out. I was just worried about how will I know if I will have the Endurance adn Stamina to go the distance?!?

2010-04-24 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2811880

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Hi, welcome!

2010-04-24 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2812855

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

@ italiantp3 - You can go the distance.  Doing quality workouts even if they are short can build you endurance enough to complete the race.  You might not be at the top of your game during the race (hey, we all have to pay the price right?), but you will be just fine.  Think about this, Andy Potts; one of the top american's raced Ironman last year and his longest bike workout was about 70miles, yet he was able to race the 112 during the race...

2010-04-24 2:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
OK - time for an update!  Weekend workouts everyone.  What you doing, what have you done, and how you feeling?
2010-04-24 8:21 PM

The Neutral Zone
Ok, here is my bio, like i said i would post. Thanks Tony for letting me in the group.

Name: Hoelekengoeleken  -  AJ

Story: My name is AJ and I am studying internet security and telecommunication. I used to be an cyclist back in highschool, i missed my highschool grad for a cycling race...In the winters back then i would do snowboarding. When i started collge, i was swomped with work. blah, so i had to go to being a full time student. but now its summer, well school is over for me now and i need to get back into shape. and i have decided to try something different.. cycling ----> triathlons

Weight Loss:
about 30lbs. yesh the lifestyle of a student is sort of crappy. i want to go back to being what i used to look like

- need to know anything more? just ask, i will always have an answer.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony Zamora's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9