Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2010-04-22 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2809663

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: Triathlon on a Budget
justinvanwinkle - 2010-04-22 10:20 AM I'll try to keep my posts short and to the point....

This is a hard year for me financially....  Where can I go cheap, and where do I need to fork it over?

Thanks!

Good question ... the sport can be costly as you pick up the necessary gear - but then tapers off from there.  The things you need to get do not all have to be bought at the same time.

First, let's determine where you are.  See the above post about detailing where are equipment-wise (bike, running shoes, access to the pool) and then let's go from there.

The short answer is that there are plenty of ways to cut the cost of the sport ...

2010-04-22 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2807030

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Brian's group - FULL
BIKE: I have a Windsor Dover that I got off of ebay for my 8th grade graduation present. Cheap bike, I know, but it does the job, and right now I know that the right training will improve my time the most. I have not been fit on the bike. I just got clipless pedals and so far I haven't fallen over yet :D

RUN: I am using Nike Lunarlites which are a couple of months old. I didn't have anyone to help me pick them out but I did a lot of research before I got them, and they seem to work well with my stride.

SWIM: I do have access to a pool. I took a beginning swimming class last fall which helped me a lot with my technique.

GOALS: The main one is the Onion Man Triathlon (olympic length) on May 30, and my tune-up races are Bloomsday (7.46 miles) on May 2 and a sprint length triathlon on May 16.

CURRENT FITNESS: I started training in the middle of February, but I took a trip to Honduras in March and got sick (don't ask :D ) so I wasn't able to resume training until three weeks ago, so I'm basically starting over again. 

CURRENT TRAINING PLAN: I'm currently using a training plan from the Essential Week-By-Week Training Guide by Matt Fitzgerald and using the level 7 Olympic Triathlon plan. 
2010-04-22 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2801642

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Btw folks ... like Lance said, it is not the bike but the engine that makes the difference.  Do not worry about what kind of bike you are riding, worry about how well you are riding it.  I have gone to many group rides to find folks on Willier, Pinarellos and other exotic bikes that couldn't hold their line.  Further, I have found that it is the guys (and gals) on the old steel lugged framed bikes with shifters on the downtube that seem to be the best riders.

The key thing about the bike question is to see which kind of bike you are riding (mountain, road or tri-bike) and if/how you got fit on it.  A seat post that is too low or too high will not only slow you down but can cause some back problems as you ramp-up volume.  This is particularly true if you are using clipless pedals and aerobars.
2010-04-23 1:57 AM
in reply to: #2809135

User image

Veteran
Swim test: 100m 1:20

2010-04-23 9:50 AM
in reply to: #2811618

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Rod1 - 2010-04-23 2:57 AM Swim test: 100m 1:20

Wow!  ... that is s-t-r-o-n-g.  Good job!
2010-04-23 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2812116

User image

Veteran
Thanks. Its in the context of a 100m sprint, not a longer distance pacing speed. Have I got the jist of the test right?

On another subject...I've got a Aquathlon tomorrow - 400m swim/5k run. I've got a new tri top that I have decided to wear (even though I haven't swam with it yet - and will feel self conscious in it!) to make transition as easy as possible (particularly as given such a short course). I've got a friend who has suggested I don't wear socks for the run. I've never used my shoes without socks. He suggested trying a short run in the morning without socks. If any rubbing at all, don't do it for the race, but if none place vaseline on any "seams and lumps" inside the shoe and give it a go. Any thoughts on the above?

Cheers,

Rod.

2010-04-23 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2812200

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
There is an time honored adage that goes "... nothing new on race day!" - but to me that means only if it is an "A" race, meaning one that you care about eking out the best results possible.  If you have a tolerance for things going wrong then there is nothing wrong with trying something new in a race environment.

That said, even 3.1 miles can rub some blisters - especially as you come out of the water.  It only takes :30 seconds to put on sock if you fold them down among themselves (e.g. put on the sock then peel down the top half over your heel yet still covering your toes + pull them off. You can pour a little baby powder in the socks if you think that'll help with the moisture too.

If you want to try running sockless tomorrow then put some baby powder directly into your shoe and then use Body Glide on the typical hot spots on your foot (toes and heel come to mind).

The tri-top may be a tighter fit than you are used to; don't let this bother you mentally as it may feel constrictive.  This is not true, you can still easily breathe in it easily.

Good luck this weekend!

Rod1 - 2010-04-23 11:21 AM Thanks. Its in the context of a 100m sprint, not a longer distance pacing speed. Have I got the jist of the test right?

On another subject...I've got a Aquathlon tomorrow - 400m swim/5k run. I've got a new tri top that I have decided to wear (even though I haven't swam with it yet - and will feel self conscious in it!) to make transition as easy as possible (particularly as given such a short course). I've got a friend who has suggested I don't wear socks for the run. I've never used my shoes without socks. He suggested trying a short run in the morning without socks. If any rubbing at all, don't do it for the race, but if none place vaseline on any "seams and lumps" inside the shoe and give it a go. Any thoughts on the above?

Cheers,

Rod.
2010-04-23 12:14 PM

User image

New user

Okinawa
Sorry it's taken so long for this response - busy end to the work week!

BIKE:  Aluminum frame, threaded headset, shimano clipless pedals, diadora shoes with SPD cleats obviously, and upgraded to a set of shimano r500 wheels since the hubs in my old wheels SUCKED!  I bought it at walmart, it is a road bike, but I have never been fitted on it.  It's a 58cm, and I fall right in between the 56 and 58 categories depending on the other dimensions of the frame.  (Usually 56cm on a Tri frame and 58cm on a road frame)

RUN:  I'm currently wearing a pair of running shoes that the military analyzed my feet for and then issued me....  (I was running in a good pair of Mizunos that I had a run/walk shop analyze me for, but when they were worn I had no choice but to change)  I would buy more shoes, but my feet are gigantic in comparison to an asian foot....  I'll be picking up a new pair when I visit home in a few weeks.  I typically don't let me shoes go more than a few months (4 months = max)

SWIM:  Jammers, speedo goggles....  I do have access to a pool year round, and there is a masters program there year round as well.

GOAL:  My life is ever evolving at the moment.  I am unsure of where I will be later this summer; however, for now - I'm keeping my eyes open for an Olympic distance here in Okinawa and one anywhere in-between Kentucky and Florida (Ideal time would be early September)  I know there are all kinds down in FL!!

CURRENT FITNESS: Bum knee!  I think the adjustment I made on my cleats might have had it twisted alittle too far inward for last night's cycle...
I'll complete everything over the next 3 days and give you a report..

FITNESS PLAN:  I have been following the 20 week 3x Balanced Olympic for a few weeks now - I pulled alittle bit of time off to match my current fitness level however.

Thanks!
2010-04-23 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2812357

User image

Veteran
2010-04-23 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2812487

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Hey Justin,

Is there a friendly bike shop that you can go into and ask them to take a look at your bike fit?  The key thing to hone in on are your seat height and your cleat position on your shoes.  I suspect that your knee problems might be associated with that ... or, at least, exacerbated by it.  There might be a charge for it - but that will pay for itself inmedical "co-payments" and/or lost time quickly.

Once you find the shoe you like is it possible to mail order it?  Road Runner Sports is a really good on-line store.

Btw, a good way to save some $$$ is to buy last year's model of the current shoe you run in.  For instance, I used to run in Brooks GTS 6 ... but each year the Brooks GTS series adds a number (I believe they are up to 10) regardless whether they incrementally improve the shoe.  As such last year's models can often be had for 30-40% off (e.g. the Brooks GTS 10 retail for $100 and the GTS 9 can be had for $59.95 through a quick Google search.)

justinvanwinkle - 2010-04-23 1:14 PM Sorry it's taken so long for this response - busy end to the work week!

BIKE:  Aluminum frame, threaded headset, shimano clipless pedals, diadora shoes with SPD cleats obviously, and upgraded to a set of shimano r500 wheels since the hubs in my old wheels SUCKED!  I bought it at walmart, it is a road bike, but I have never been fitted on it.  It's a 58cm, and I fall right in between the 56 and 58 categories depending on the other dimensions of the frame.  (Usually 56cm on a Tri frame and 58cm on a road frame)

RUN:  I'm currently wearing a pair of running shoes that the military analyzed my feet for and then issued me....  (I was running in a good pair of Mizunos that I had a run/walk shop analyze me for, but when they were worn I had no choice but to change)  I would buy more shoes, but my feet are gigantic in comparison to an asian foot....  I'll be picking up a new pair when I visit home in a few weeks.  I typically don't let me shoes go more than a few months (4 months = max)

SWIM:  Jammers, speedo goggles....  I do have access to a pool year round, and there is a masters program there year round as well.

GOAL:  My life is ever evolving at the moment.  I am unsure of where I will be later this summer; however, for now - I'm keeping my eyes open for an Olympic distance here in Okinawa and one anywhere in-between Kentucky and Florida (Ideal time would be early September)  I know there are all kinds down in FL!!

CURRENT FITNESS: Bum knee!  I think the adjustment I made on my cleats might have had it twisted alittle too far inward for last night's cycle...
I'll complete everything over the next 3 days and give you a report..

FITNESS PLAN:  I have been following the 20 week 3x Balanced Olympic for a few weeks now - I pulled alittle bit of time off to match my current fitness level however.

Thanks!
2010-04-23 10:14 PM

User image

Nashville, TN

Ok.... so here we go:

Bike: Diamondback mt. bike (bought at a yard sale 1 yr ago), Have never been fit for a bike, yes have clipless pedals (didn't even know clip pedals existed til I started on here!).  I am shopping for a used reasonable road bike.

Run: I have a pair of asic running shoes that are about 3 months old. Have never been fitted for a pair, but I am going to go get fitted at a store here in Nashville, TN

Swim: Never had swimming lessons, have a rec center pool I swim at, and I am very fortunate that my training partner is a Master's level swim coach. My stroke is already improving.

Goals:  Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon, August 28th 2010.  Lebanon, TN. Distance swim 300yd ,
Bike 16.5 miles, run 5k.  My goal is just to finish.  I would like to finish in 2 hours, but really just want to finish.

Current Fitness: walked some, did some aerobic type classes at the rec center. Before I had kids I ran farthest distance was a 10k ( but that was 7 years ago!)
My major limiter is going to be time, and probably the swim.  I am really going to have to work on that.  I am going to have to train smart.

I have an 8 week to sprint triathlon training schedule.  Trying to stick with it.

I am currently reading : First Triathlons , Personal Stories of Becoming a Triathlete
                                      by:  Gail Waesche Kislevitz
It is very inspiring!!!!
Glad to be in the group!  I hope I can learn a lot from everyone :-)

Amber

2010-04-24 6:49 AM

User image

New user

Okinawa
RUN:
3 miles = 24min on the dot
I could have pushed harder... Undecided

Quick Question:  What heart-rate zone should I train in?
2010-04-24 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2813573

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
It really depends based upon the training schedule you recommendated.  Generically speaking, I would say Zone 2 for your longer runs and higher for your shorter one.

Two questions:
1) Does your training plan talk about intensity - e.g. either target HR, pace or rate of perceived exertion (RPE) or is it all duration based?
2) How did you determine your heart rate zones?

justinvanwinkle - 2010-04-24 7:49 AM RUN:
3 miles = 24min on the dot
I could have pushed harder... Undecided

Quick Question:  What heart-rate zone should I train in?
2010-04-24 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2813758

User image

New user

Okinawa
This is from my program:
"This program IS JUST a volume-builder.  If your new to endurance, its recommended to focus on only volume for your first year, the following years you can start adding intensity-specific workouts as you will have a good base.  BUT the following program is easily modified for intensity training."
It also goes on to explain that I should be training long and slow more so than short and fast....

I've never really focused much on my heart rate, but when I do, I use the "talk test"

Thanks again!!

brian - 2010-04-24 12:34 AM It really depends based upon the training schedule you recommendated.  Generically speaking, I would say Zone 2 for your longer runs and higher for your shorter one.

Two questions:
1) Does your training plan talk about intensity - e.g. either target HR, pace or rate of perceived exertion (RPE) or is it all duration based?
2) How did you determine your heart rate zones?

2010-04-24 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Alright, so since I'm training for an IM, it's hard to squeeze the short tests in.  My weekends are dominated by my long bike and run.  And there isn't a really good place to do a bike time trial since I live in the land of stop lights.  So I hit "lap" on my GPS when I was on a nice, long section of road in between lights.  It is nowhere near 5 miles, but I couldn't maintain the intensity I wanted the entire time because my legs got tired, so there is room for improvement.  And because it is a convenient location for me, it'll be easier for me to repeat the test later.

So here we go.

1.84 miles:  Average pace 20.3

Edited by crazyalaskian 2010-04-24 12:47 PM
2010-04-24 9:21 PM

User image

Nashville, TN
5k 3.1 mile 48:22.  Still have a ways to go, but it can only get better from here Smile

Going to bike tomorrow afternoon weather permitting.

Swim monday.

2010-04-24 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2814494

User image

New user

Okinawa
Amber,
Keep up the high level of motivation!  You're doing great!!! 
I'm certain that you'll shave off a good amount of time from that in just a month! - Can't wait to see!!

Justin

outtashape momma - 2010-04-24 11:21 AM 5k 3.1 mile 48:22.  Still have a ways to go, but it can only get better from here Smile

Going to bike tomorrow afternoon weather permitting.

Swim monday.
2010-04-24 11:51 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Struggling!
I hit the treadmill at the YMCA yesterday. There is a 5k programmed into the machine, and it randomly inclines up to 6.4% and it would not let me adjust it down. So I am running along, literally hit a brick wall at mile 2, panting and sweating my head off when the infamous 'puke factor' wants to rear it's ugly head. I am trying to concentrate on a song in my iPOD not realizing how loud I am gagging!Me and hills don't get along well, especially since my last 5k was 8 years ago. Thank goodness, most people there were wearing their own iPODs. I ran it in 36min. I really wasn't feeling my best for the run. I had 5 hours of sleep and hadn't eaten in 4 hours before running. How big of a difference would that really make?   I would like to run it again without the incline. I hated every minute of the run. At some point I usually get into a groove, but it never happened for this one. 
My questions are:
1. what are your recommendations for pre-workout nutrition?
2. Should I incorporate lifting at the end of each workout?

Next will be the swim.  

I haven't' logged in anything on the site yet, I am still trying to navigate my way around.

Edited by Cheeks 2010-04-24 11:55 PM
2010-04-24 11:54 PM
in reply to: #2814606

User image

New user

Subject: ---

Edited by Cheeks 2010-04-24 11:56 PM
2010-04-25 3:45 AM
in reply to: #2813573

User image

New user

Okinawa
BIKE: 5 Miles - 13m 33s - 22.14mph

My legs are about to fall off Yell
2010-04-25 6:37 AM
in reply to: #2813408

User image

Veteran
Hi Amber,

Just on the clipless pedals, just in case you are seeing it the logical way (which I was until recently corrected) instead of the weird way of the biking world (!). Clipless pedal system is the one where you have dedicated bike shoes with cleats that "clip in" to compatible bike pedals - daft isn't it. Pedals with "clips" refers to the old plastic "toe clips" really toe cages. Apologies if you already know this.

Cheers,

Rod.

2010-04-25 7:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Bike Test: 8km (5mile). 15:48. Average speed 30.2km/hr (18.8 miles/hr). Did in the middle of a 38km training ride this morning (had to get to the stretch of road!), which is my longest ride so far - How are you meant to get off the bike after a 40km ride and then runSurprised.

Aquathlon yesterday. I'm not actually certain of my overall time - let alone the splits (I didn't use my watch) and what the timekeeper said, versus what his calculations suggested didn't seem to add up to me, but I was too tired to question it at the time. Anyway it was either 35:42 or 37:42 for total race which was 400m pool swim and 5km run. If it were the former I'm Ok with the time, if the latter disappointed. I came an inglorious last! My wife tried to cheer me up by pointing out that the other contestants were all taller/slimmer/younger than me (boy I'm feeling better already - thanks!). To be fair to myself, there were only 13 of us in the mens section, and one of those is a British Triathlon Team member (very intimidating when he gets into the pool in the national colours Smile - oh and he did win (22minutes flat) in case you were wondering). I think I was about 8th out of the pool, but I swam too hard, trying to keep up with the guy I shared the lane with - even though he paces 20s shorter hundreds than me - that was a lost cause from about lap 5! Then tired for the run - my weakest leg. It didn't matter too much for this event, but if I do the same in the Olympic distance in August I will be a DNF (lesson learned!). Its also reminded me that the object of this year is firstly to finish all the events and only secondly to be concerned about times. And finally (and no surprise) my running needs work!

Brian - thanks for the transition advice - I wore socks (with talcum powder), and put elastic laces on the shoes. It went really smoothly. I'll let you know the race splits and times when they are available.

Finally. P Factor was definitely present. Everything that went into me solid earlier in the day became liquid...and for about six hours after the race I couldn't venture too far from the bathroom (too much information I know). This happened to me after my last duathlon as well, but doesn't happpen after training sessions. I presume it means that I worked at a harder level in the event? Is this common/normal? In the two races this has happened, I've had chocolate milk shortly after the event. I'm thinking I might experiment with ditching the recommended after race drink? Any suggestions? Also general suggestions for race day nutrition?

Cheers.

Rod.

2010-04-25 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2814697

User image

Nashville, TN
Thanks Rod!  I really had no clue what they were Smile!
2010-04-25 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2814547

User image

Nashville, TN
Thanks Justin!  I already mentally & physically feel better (minus the soreness).  I am excited to see how far I can go Smile.
2010-04-25 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2814651

User image

Nashville, TN
Wow.  I am impressed with the Bike time.  Last week it took me 30 minutes to go 7 miles!  (And I thought my legs were like lead). 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13