BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2010-12-24 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3256440

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: tri808's Spring Pot Luck (Open)
NAME Garrunning/ Jarrod
STORY Hi, I'm jarrod and 34 years old I am 6' 4'' and 240. I joined the gym a year and a half ago just to get back in shape. I took a spin class a was instantly hooked. Then while lifting I noticed a bunch of fit people running the track. I figured if running would help me lose weight and get in shape then why not try it. While doing the runners boot camp they were in, the coach challanged us to set a goal. I ended up running a Marathon six months later. So why a tri, I have always loved the Ironman and it's stories. I figured I would give it a tri and see if I like it. I have been teaching myself how to swim the last three months and can do a mile in 30 minutes or so. Can't wait for the races this summer.

Family Status Married 2 kids

CURRENT TRAINING  Mondays, lifting then runners boot camp
Tue. hour spin then hour swim
Wed.  lifting then swim or boot camp
Thur. Two hours of spin
Fri. lifting then hour of swimming
Sat. Depends
Sun off
I will be changing things up shortly
THIS YEAR'S RACES(2010): Marathon, and a couple 5k's

2011 RACES 2 half marathon 2 or 3 Oly? and maybe a HIM if I like tri's

WEIGHTLOSS I am down 20 lbs from when I started. I would like to get down to 220 which is 5 lbs lighter then my Marathon weight. I started lifting heavy which put on the weight for me, now I do lighter with more reps.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE. I want to learn and love a team atmosphere.

2010-12-24 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3260486

User image

pdc33 - 2010-12-24 5:27 AM Hello! I would like to join this group! Please let me know if there is still room, and I will post my info!

Still plenty of room.  Welcome aboard!
2010-12-24 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3260702

User image

garrunning - 2010-12-24 8:54 AM NAME Garrunning/ Jarrod
STORY Hi, I'm jarrod and 34 years old I am 6' 4'' and 240. I joined the gym a year and a half ago just to get back in shape. I took a spin class a was instantly hooked. Then while lifting I noticed a bunch of fit people running the track. I figured if running would help me lose weight and get in shape then why not try it. While doing the runners boot camp they were in, the coach challanged us to set a goal. I ended up running a Marathon six months later. So why a tri, I have always loved the Ironman and it's stories. I figured I would give it a tri and see if I like it. I have been teaching myself how to swim the last three months and can do a mile in 30 minutes or so. Can't wait for the races this summer.

Family Status Married 2 kids

CURRENT TRAINING  Mondays, lifting then runners boot camp
Tue. hour spin then hour swim
Wed.  lifting then swim or boot camp
Thur. Two hours of spin
Fri. lifting then hour of swimming
Sat. Depends
Sun off
I will be changing things up shortly
THIS YEAR'S RACES(2010): Marathon, and a couple 5k's

2011 RACES 2 half marathon 2 or 3 Oly? and maybe a HIM if I like tri's

WEIGHTLOSS I am down 20 lbs from when I started. I would like to get down to 220 which is 5 lbs lighter then my Marathon weight. I started lifting heavy which put on the weight for me, now I do lighter with more reps.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE. I want to learn and love a team atmosphere.

Welcome Jarrod

Looks like you have an awesome training schedule to build from.  I look forward to seeing your progress in tris.
2010-12-24 3:26 PM

User image

By my count, we've got 10 members so far.  To anyone considering this group, I'm going to keep it open till we have at least 15.  Naturally some people will drop off, or some people who will chime in about once a week (no problem with that).  My goal though is to have about 6-8 members who are really active in this group. 

Not only does this site provide great information...but I feel that just having a place to drop in and say hello and see how other people are doing is a great motivater.  When you read someone got in a tough workout today...makes you feel like you shouldn't skip out on yours.
2010-12-24 3:29 PM

User image

Got in a pretty good 44 mile ride this morning.  Not too intense...it was a small group being Christmas Eve...so we tried to keep everyone together.

I think I need to adjust the angle of my seat.  It might have moved since the last time I adjusted it.  My boys were on fire the second half of the ride...and when I got off...I noticed the front of the saddle was slightly pointing up about 1 degree.

Edited by tri808 2010-12-24 3:30 PM
2010-12-24 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3260772

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-12-24 4:47 PM

New user

CT
Hey Jason I'm new to forums and BRAND new to triathalon training. The members of this group seem like each have great advise and training experience.  I was wondering if I could be a aprt of your group, and please bare with me again im new to Forums... 

NAME: Roydavis33060/ Roy
STORY:I'm brand new to this type of training.  I've been physically active through out life but in the past 6 months due to injury have really let myself training and health go.  i'm a 27 year old male from the CT area.  Due to the cold, i plan on keeping my training inside at least until the blizzards stop. I could def use advise and peer support

FAMILY STATUS: Girlfriend, who also is attempting to train

CURRENT TRAINING:
This week is actually my first week of actual training.  I am an active scuba diver so im in the water a lot, but usually not actively swimming laps. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES(2010): Christopher Martins Road Race
2011 RACES:  Would like to complete a 22 week trianing program followed by my 1st triathalon

WEIGHTLOSS:    I do need to lose weight, like i said the past 6 months have been awful to me.  I went from 185lbs to about 215lbs.  Nutrition will be a large focus of my training

I hope this group and website will be a large help to my success......
2010-12-24 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3260829

Roydavis33060 - 2010-12-24 11:47 AM Hey Jason I'm new to forums and BRAND new to triathalon training. The members of this group seem like each have great advise and training experience.  I was wondering if I could be a aprt of your group, and please bare with me again im new to Forums... 

NAME: Roydavis33060/ Roy
STORY:I'm brand new to this type of training.  I've been physically active through out life but in the past 6 months due to injury have really let myself training and health go.  i'm a 27 year old male from the CT area.  Due to the cold, i plan on keeping my training inside at least until the blizzards stop. I could def use advise and peer support

FAMILY STATUS: Girlfriend, who also is attempting to train

CURRENT TRAINING:
This week is actually my first week of actual training.  I am an active scuba diver so im in the water a lot, but usually not actively swimming laps. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES(2010): Christopher Martins Road Race
2011 RACES:  Would like to complete a 22 week trianing program followed by my 1st triathalon

WEIGHTLOSS:    I do need to lose weight, like i said the past 6 months have been awful to me.  I went from 185lbs to about 215lbs.  Nutrition will be a large focus of my training

I hope this group and website will be a large help to my success......

Hi Roy...welcome aboard.

I think this group will be perfect for you.  As I mentioned before to others...CONSISTANCY IS KEY!  You'll hear that coin phrase a lot in some of the other forums on this site.  It's basic meaning is don't sweat the details.  Don't worry about how hard you should be training...or how long...just make sure you create  a schedule for yourself that you can realistically stick to and do it.  The fitness gains, speed improvements, and weight loss will come over a long period of time, and consistantly hitting your workouts.  They won't come from one or two really good workouts...or even one or two really good weeks.  You'll have good days, and you'll have some crummy days...so just keep at it.
2010-12-24 6:49 PM

Hi Jason! Like my boyfriend, I'm also new to forums and triathalon training.  I've been reading through everyone's posts within the group and I see a lot of knowledge and advise that can hopefully be helpful in our training adventure.

NAME: Sabrina / Sawood2007

STORY:
I'm a 26 year old female from the CT area, and I've been physically active my entire life.  After high school and organized sports, I used to spend a lot of the time in the gym with no real goals.  Both my boyfriend and I work odd hours and find it difficult to get motivated to work out, but it's a new year...and time for new beginnings. I still play for a coed soccer league...it's the only thing that keeps me somewhat motivated to try and stay in shape. 

FAMILY STATUS:
Boyfriend, Roy, who introduced me to this site.

CURRENT TRAINING:
This will be our first week of training and hopefully we can keep eachother motivated.  We were looking at one of the 22 week training programs for beginners....does anyone know anything good/bad/or indifferent about these?

THIS YEAR'S RACES(2010): Christopher Martins Road Race (5K)

2011 RACES:  Would like to complete the 22 week training program followed by my 1st triathalon located somewhere in and around the Cape.

WEIGHTLOSS: Although it wouldnt be too bad to lose a few pounds, it's not necessarily my main concern.  I really just want to stay motivated and have something to work towards. 

Im excited to start this new training schedule... and hopefully both Roy and I can stay motivated to actually do a triathalon and stay healthy throughout the process.  I'm hoping this forum can help us obtain those goals... and looking to have some fun.  Currently neither of us have bikes, but we plan on spending the cold winter training indoors, and if we can keep up with the training we plan on buying bikes to reward ourselves.  Happy Holidays and Happy Training to all!! Cool
2010-12-24 9:12 PM

Master
Fort Wayne
Thanks J for letting me in an I will try to provide whatever advice I can.  And thanks all of you for being patient waiting for my profile while I was visiting family for the holidays.

Name: dirkp / Dirk  Age: 41 but feel 25

Story:  I started running several years ago after noticing I couldn't carry a basket of clothes up stairs without getting winded.  I planned on running on the treadmill since "running is bad on your knees" and ran 200 miles or so on "the mill" in 6 months or so.  I signed up for a 5k race for my first race ever and didn't do to bad.  I then was talked into a HM in 2008 and was hooked on that distance.  Later, while training for a marathon I re-injured my knee (already had an ACL reconstruction 2004-ish) and my PT suggested cycling an swimming to provide balance for my training and kazaam...........triathlon.  The current situation with my knee and training is awesome.  This was my first complete year of triathlon racing and I have a lot to learn. I started training for Tri's in Sept. 2009.   I love training and I love to push myself.

Family Status: Married with 2 girls - 15 and 17.  the oldest is a HS swimmer (Junior) and I love to watch her and occasionally train with her.  The youngest (Freshman) may run track in HS but she is undecided right now.

Current Training:  I train 6 days a wwek most weeks but when I have to drop a day I will double up on workouts so I can get about 2 swims, 3 rides and 3 runs and week in.  As I said above I love to train.

This year's races: 5k in April (21:00), HM in May (1:38:00) first ever tri was an Oly in June (2:29m:41), Oly tri in August (2:24:32), Marine Corps Marathon (my A race and first ever marathon 3:26:06) and finally a 4 mile race on Thanksgiving day (27:16). 

2011 Races: Not sure.....2-3 Oly's, a sprint or 2, a HM and Probably the Air Force Marathon in Sept.

Goals:  I am striving to be a FOMOP triathlon racer but we'll see how I progress in that realm.  Primarily, I want to learn more and get faster.  Maybe lose about 5 lbs or so but nothing too serious.

Other stuff:  I hope to help Jason with encouraging others and I will offer whatever advice I can but Jason has proven himself pretty knowledgeable from the last group I was in with him, so I will be doing a lot of learning.

Now for the important stuff..........I just got back home from seeing my family's for the Christmas season and was able to get a trainer ride in.  The intensity was kind of high with my avg. HR being 151 (mid Z3) for the working sets of the ride.  I rode 21.5 miles in 1:10:00 including the WU and CD.  My legs were a little trashed when I got done but I am feeling good now.  I am planning a 9 mile run tomorrow (yes I know it's Christmas) but I will see how the day progresses with my family.  I will not push my family away for the sake of a long run.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Edited by DirkP 2010-12-24 9:35 PM
2010-12-24 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3260948

Master
Fort Wayne
Here is a list of everyone in the group so far.  We are just waiting on pdc33 to get his profile on here with a name.

J - tri808
Mike - Hawaiimike
John H - Jilah
Sue - drsues
Melanie - melbel1038
Eric - neuronet
Mindy - swimmindy
Hamlet - PrinceofDenmar
Jarrod - Garrunning
- pdc33
Sabrina - Sawood2007

2010-12-24 11:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
ha! this is something funny of BT for me, 75% of people here could be my parents. I am going to call Dirk ''Sir'' :P
2010-12-25 12:15 AM
in reply to: #3260960

And.... Roy / Roydavis33060
2010-12-25 6:55 AM
in reply to: #3260990

Master
Fort Wayne
Prince of Denmar - 2010-12-25 12:02 AM ha! this is something funny of BT for me, 75% of people here could be my parents. I am going to call Dirk ''Sir'' :P

Funny stuff! 
Since you are the "Prince" does that make a king or duke or something else royal?

Merry Christmas to all!

2010-12-25 7:40 AM

Master
Fort Wayne
So.....I am sitting here waiting for my family to wake up on Christmas morning and checking out everyone's profiles on here.

Mindy, I may want some swim advice since you're offering but I can't think of any direct questions right now.  I will say I would like for my 500 TT to come down from 7:16 to 7:00 or a bit lower before the tri season starts.  I usually only have time for 2 swims a week because I also want to try to pick up some speed on the bike next season.  Over the last week I swam with my daughter twice and we did 28x50 progressing our sets faster every six reps.  They looked like this (copied from my log):
6x50 on :60 (easy):15+ rests
6x50 on :55 (easy) :15-ish
6x50 on :50 (mod-hard):10-ish rest
1 minute rest
6x50 on :45 (hard) :03 rest
3x50 on :40 w/fins (hard) :03 rest
I had to do the last 3 with fins because there was no way I was going t hang with her for those.  She did six while I was only able to do the last 3.  She was finishing with about 5 seconds rest each time on the :40 set and I could only manage 2-3 seconds.  I was pretty shot after that.  It was pretty good fun swimming with her though.

2010-12-25 12:34 PM

Veteran
So I purchased a bike the other day and still have to buy pedals. I was thinking about either the look keo's or shimano spd-sl they seem to be very similar. What pedals does everyone use? This is my first road bike since I was 14 and I have never clipped into a bike besides a stationary one. Any help would be great Thanks. Oh yeah and where is the best places to buy?

Edited by garrunning 2010-12-25 12:36 PM

2010-12-25 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3260896

Sawood2007 - 2010-12-24 1:49 PM Hi Jason! Like my boyfriend, I'm also new to forums and triathalon training.  I've been reading through everyone's posts within the group and I see a lot of knowledge and advise that can hopefully be helpful in our training adventure.

NAME: Sabrina / Sawood2007

STORY:
I'm a 26 year old female from the CT area, and I've been physically active my entire life.  After high school and organized sports, I used to spend a lot of the time in the gym with no real goals.  Both my boyfriend and I work odd hours and find it difficult to get motivated to work out, but it's a new year...and time for new beginnings. I still play for a coed soccer league...it's the only thing that keeps me somewhat motivated to try and stay in shape. 

FAMILY STATUS:
Boyfriend, Roy, who introduced me to this site.

CURRENT TRAINING:
This will be our first week of training and hopefully we can keep eachother motivated.  We were looking at one of the 22 week training programs for beginners....does anyone know anything good/bad/or indifferent about these?

THIS YEAR'S RACES(2010): Christopher Martins Road Race (5K)

2011 RACES:  Would like to complete the 22 week training program followed by my 1st triathalon located somewhere in and around the Cape.

WEIGHTLOSS: Although it wouldnt be too bad to lose a few pounds, it's not necessarily my main concern.  I really just want to stay motivated and have something to work towards. 

Im excited to start this new training schedule... and hopefully both Roy and I can stay motivated to actually do a triathalon and stay healthy throughout the process.  I'm hoping this forum can help us obtain those goals... and looking to have some fun.  Currently neither of us have bikes, but we plan on spending the cold winter training indoors, and if we can keep up with the training we plan on buying bikes to reward ourselves.  Happy Holidays and Happy Training to all!! Cool

Welcom Sabrina,

Great to have a "couple" in the group.  I think it's great you guys are in this together.  It should be lots of fun to spend time with each other learning this awesome new sport.
2010-12-25 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3260960

DirkP - 2010-12-24 4:34 PM Here is a list of everyone in the group so far.  We are just waiting on pdc33 to get his profile on here with a name.

J - tri808
Mike - Hawaiimike
John H - Jilah
Sue - drsues
Melanie - melbel1038
Eric - neuronet
Mindy - swimmindy
Hamlet - PrinceofDenmar
Jarrod - Garrunning
- pdc33
Sabrina - Sawood2007
Roy / Roydavis33060

Thanks for the list Dirk.

I appologize in advance that I am horrible with remembering names.  It will take me a little while, but I promise to get the hang of it.  In the mean time, if you don't want me to address you as your "handle/screen name", please end your post with your name.  HawaiiMike, swimmindy, and DirkP being the exceptions....

~J

Edited by tri808 2010-12-25 1:20 PM
2010-12-25 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3261241

garrunning - 2010-12-25 7:34 AM So I purchased a bike the other day and still have to buy pedals. I was thinking about either the look keo's or shimano spd-sl they seem to be very similar. What pedals does everyone use? This is my first road bike since I was 14 and I have never clipped into a bike besides a stationary one. Any help would be great Thanks. Oh yeah and where is the best places to buy?

First of all...very good question.

I have limited (but I believe accurate) info on this.  The Look Keo's and the Shimano SPD-SL pedals are similar in design.  They are both a "meaty" pedal...meaning that the surface area of the pedal is quite large in comparison to something like a Speedplay pedal.  Some people prefer a larger surface area because of the feel it creates while pedaling.  I haven't used Speedplay...so I'll refrain from comment on whether that's true or not.

The main difference between Look and Shimano is the cleat required to clip in.  They are not the same design, and are not compatible with each other.  The one major difference for those doing triathlons is that some people don't care for the Look cleat if you're running in your bike shoes through transition.  Many people say it's like running with ice skates on.  If you plan to leave your bike shoes clipped in to your pedals while running in and out of transitions, then no big deal.  I will say though that running with Shimano cleats is not exactly like running with regular shoes either.  You still need to "run" a little gingerly to avoid falling.

BUT PLEASE READ THIS...IT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT
Whatever you decide, you should go back to the LBS you bought your bike from to get fit for the pedals.  Each pedal has a slightly different height, and that in turn will affect your seat height and position.  The cleat that attaches to your shoe also needs to adjusted to you.  While you could probably just screw it in wherever you want...it could make a huge difference if you actually have it screwed in the optimal position. 

Did the LBS you bought the bike from offer you a fit when you purchased?  Most bike shops at least do a courtesy fit that may range from 20-60 minutes to complete.  Even if they end up charging you for it...I would still advise it.

That being said...I use Shimano SPD-SL pedals and are quite happy with them.  They will take some practice getting used to...and you will tip over eventually.  It happens to even the best.

As far as where the best place to buy is...you can't beat the price of online.  Ebay or Nashbar.com usually has good deals.  You can get a pair of Shimano 105 pedals for about $50-60...compared to about $115 retail.  If you buy online though...I would advise taking it in to the LBS to get installed.  I almost broke a finger trying to change my pedals using a regular wrench.

Anyone else...feel free to chime in with your experiences.

Edited by tri808 2010-12-25 1:42 PM
2010-12-25 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3261280

Master
Fort Wayne
tri808 - 2010-12-25 2:32 PM
garrunning - 2010-12-25 7:34 AM So I purchased a bike the other day and still have to buy pedals. I was thinking about either the look keo's or shimano spd-sl they seem to be very similar. What pedals does everyone use? This is my first road bike since I was 14 and I have never clipped into a bike besides a stationary one. Any help would be great Thanks. Oh yeah and where is the best places to buy?

First of all...very good question.

I have limited (but I believe accurate) info on this.  The Look Keo's and the Shimano SPD-SL pedals are similar in design.  They are both a "meaty" pedal...meaning that the surface area of the pedal is quite large in comparison to something like a Speedplay pedal.  Some people prefer a larger surface area because of the feel it creates while pedaling.  I haven't used Speedplay...so I'll refrain from comment on whether that's true or not.

The main difference between Look and Shimano is the cleat required to clip in.  They are not the same design, and are not compatible with each other.  The one major difference for those doing triathlons is that some people don't care for the Look cleat if you're running in your bike shoes through transition.  Many people say it's like running with ice skates on.  If you plan to leave your bike shoes clipped in to your pedals while running in and out of transitions, then no big deal.  I will say though that running with Shimano cleats is not exactly like running with regular shoes either.  You still need to "run" a little gingerly to avoid falling.

BUT PLEASE READ THIS...IT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT
Whatever you decide, you should go back to the LBS you bought your bike from to get fit for the pedals.  Each pedal has a slightly different height, and that in turn will affect your seat height and position.  The cleat that attaches to your shoe also needs to adjusted to you.  While you could probably just screw it in wherever you want...it could make a huge difference if you actually have it screwed in the optimal position. 

Did the LBS you bought the bike from offer you a fit when you purchased?  Most bike shops at least do a courtesy fit that may range from 20-60 minutes to complete.  Even if they end up charging you for it...I would still advise it.

That being said...I use Shimano SPD-SL pedals and are quite happy with them.  They will take some practice getting used to...and you will tip over eventually.  It happens to even the best.

As far as where the best place to buy is...you can't beat the price of online.  Ebay or Nashbar.com usually has good deals.  You can get a pair of Shimano 105 pedals for about $50-60...compared to about $115 retail.  If you buy online though...I would advise taking it in to the LBS to get installed.  I almost broke a finger trying to change my pedals using a regular wrench.

Anyone else...feel free to chime in with your experiences.

I lack the experience of J  when it comes to commenting on the types of pedals but I have the shimano spd's and I like them as well.  They have been good for me.  They are def a meaty pedal and will probably add could add height to whatever current fit you might have already had.  If you were/are currently using traps I suspect they are a similar height.  However, I do agree the fitting would be a good idea. 

If you don't have the money for a fit try doing some light spinning and check for hip rocking.  If your hips are rocking back and forth you are too high....lower your seat and try again.  I have never had a bike fit and did a lot of reading up to get mine to where it's at now and I am pretty comfortable but it took me a long time to get to where I am now.  I also posted some pics on BT and allowed others to help get me into a decent aero position on a road bike.

As far as falling over when you are learning to unclip.........it GOING to happen.  I have fallen over only a few times but I have only ridden a grand total of 3000 miles since starting to train for Tri's.  I would suggest setting your bike up on a trainer and clipping and unclipping several times.  That's what I did and it seems to be fairly natural now but I will still fall over again....guaranteed!

I just got an 8 mile run in.  I stayed fairly easy today and finished with a 7:58 avg for the run.  This is a pretty consistent easy run for me since finishing my marathon training.  I didn't feel like going out and almost only ran 5-6 miles instead.  I am really glad I ran the scheduled 8 and didn't cut back.  I have eaten way to much the past week to cut back anything that is going to burn calories.

2010-12-25 3:29 PM

My name is Mark and I am 34 years old.  I am married with 2 children 3 1/2 and 1.  My friend Tim got me into tri-athlons and he warned me that they were addicting and he was right.
I did my first race back in October, a du-athlon, I did OK. 
I am planning on doing 3 tri-athlons this year a sprint and 2 olympics, along with a half marathon and a couple of 5Ks.
My goals for all of my races is to be competitive.  I am not expecting to win, but I want to make a good showing.
I am looking forward to working along with everyone in the group, not only to help myself, but to help everyone else also.
Thanks for letting me be a part of the group.

Edited by mparson76 2010-12-26 7:11 PM

2010-12-25 5:33 PM

Mercer Island, WA
Hello there, hoping I can join the group?

NAME: bwanzer / Bryan 

STORY: I am 22 y/o in my last semester of college (University of Montana). I begin student teaching in January (music ed.) and then hope to find a job and join the real world after that!

I got into triathlons last summer for a goal to lose weight and fell in love even before my first race. I was fairly active in HS and played lacrosse. I def. gained the freshman 15 then continued to gain weight each year after that. During training I lost about 25 pounds and felt better about myself overall. I did my first sprint race in August 2010 and found it tough to train during my hectic school schedule this last semester. My GF bought me the bronze membership for Xmas and I'm hoping to get back into training under a real schedule.

FAMILY STATUS: Living with GF of about a year and a half.

CURRENT TRAINING: Not much training this fall/winter. My B/R feel off as the bad weather hit Montana. I did take a swimming class this semester at school which had me in the pool 2x a week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES(2010): One sprint in Aug.

2011 RACES:  I hope to do a couple early sprints (April and May) and build up to my first Oly by the end of summer.

WEIGHTLOSS: Last summer's training dropped me about 25 pounds to under 200 (my goal). I'm not really concerned with the numbers I'm dropping (although it's great to see), just the fact the I'm becoming healthier and feeling better overall!

What am I hoping to get out of this group?
I really am just looking for some motivation (and to help give some too) when the going gets tough. It'd also be nice to brag about a killer workout I got in since I think my GF is getting tired of all my tri talk at home.

Hope to get to know you all!
Bryan 

Edited by bwanzer 2010-12-25 5:34 PM
2010-12-25 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3261338

mparson76 - 2010-12-25 10:29 AM I would like to join the group also.  I will post my info after Christmas.

Great!  Welcome
2010-12-25 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3261404

bwanzer - 2010-12-25 12:33 PM Hello there, hoping I can join the group?

NAME: bwanzer / Bryan 

STORY: I am 22 y/o in my last semester of college (University of Montana). I begin student teaching in January (music ed.) and then hope to find a job and join the real world after that!

I got into triathlons last summer for a goal to lose weight and fell in love even before my first race. I was fairly active in HS and played lacrosse. I def. gained the freshman 15 then continued to gain weight each year after that. During training I lost about 25 pounds and felt better about myself overall. I did my first sprint race in August 2010 and found it tough to train during my hectic school schedule this last semester. My GF bought me the bronze membership for Xmas and I'm hoping to get back into training under a real schedule.

FAMILY STATUS: Living with GF of about a year and a half.

CURRENT TRAINING: Not much training this fall/winter. My B/R feel off as the bad weather hit Montana. I did take a swimming class this semester at school which had me in the pool 2x a week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES(2010): One sprint in Aug.

2011 RACES:  I hope to do a couple early sprints (April and May) and build up to my first Oly by the end of summer.

WEIGHTLOSS: Last summer's training dropped me about 25 pounds to under 200 (my goal). I'm not really concerned with the numbers I'm dropping (although it's great to see), just the fact the I'm becoming healthier and feeling better overall!

What am I hoping to get out of this group?
I really am just looking for some motivation (and to help give some too) when the going gets tough. It'd also be nice to brag about a killer workout I got in since I think my GF is getting tired of all my tri talk at home.

Hope to get to know you all!
Bryan 

Welcome Bryan
2010-12-25 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3261269

Just wanted to update the list

J - tri808
Mike - Hawaiimike
John H - Jilah
Sue - drsues
Melanie - melbel1038
Eric - neuronet
Mindy - swimmindy
Hamlet - PrinceofDenmar
Jarrod - Garrunning
- pdc33
Sabrina - Sawood2007
Roy - Roydavis33060
mparson
Bryan - bwanzer

I'm going to let in a few more, then close the group up for the time being. 

Other than that...fire away.  Feel free to post your workouts, ask questions, or just talk about what's on your mind.  It doesn't even have to be tri related. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 45