Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2011-01-14 2:53 AM
in reply to: #3298256

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Tri Curious - OPEN

Ok so here goes the injury list:

• I have crazy flat feet. If I'm standing w/o shoes there's no space where my arches should be.
  • I used to sprain my ankles while running all the time. This is better than it was when I ran x-country in high school which I think is largely due to switching to better shoes (I wear Brooks Addiction now)
  • My knees hurt whenever I up my distance or difficulty on the run or bike
  • My hips get supper tight the day after a hard run.
  • I was in a car accident in 2006 that messed up my upper back & neck and after a long or bumpy ride they hurt.

Making sure that I stretch and ice have been the most important things so far. I'm currently trying to loose some weight, which I'm hoping will help with my knees & hips.

Today was a "rest day" and I did some slow stretching-style yoga and that really helped to loosen my hips which were starting to get tight.

2011-01-14 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3298287

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Subject: RE: Melissa Basta's Group - OPEN
D001 - 2011-01-13 6:46 PM
mbasta - 2011-01-13 9:50 AM Dee, when you were previously injured did you get diagnosed with exactly what happened? While I can't give specific injury related advice without actually seeing you I might be able to point you in the right direction regarding how to prevent future problems when you start increasing your training again.

When do you plan on resuming tri-specific training? Where do you do swim training when the season is on?

Note for everyone - my training log isn't a very good example of successful training at the moment. the night before Christmas eve I came down with bronchitis and am having a hard time shaking it. I hope that my training will resume next week but only time will tell!
Be careful what you ask for. Here goes.... LOL Diagnosed stuff includes chondromalacia patella (since I was a teenager), plantar fasciitis (for the past 2 years, off and on), scoliosis (throws everything off kilter), asthma and rotator cuff issues. Other considerations include osteopenia and thyroid issues. (The thyroid problems mean that I get lightheaded, dizzy and fatigued. For example, exercise energizes most people. For me though, it makes me more tired.) There are a few other issues, but those are the main ones that I can think of right now. Training -- I'm doing stationary bike, treadmill and strength training right now. I don't have access to a pool at the current time. Running -- my big issue seems to be that I can't increase mileage or speed. I can get through a 5K, but things start to break down when I try to do more than that. The knee and PF flare up. Also, I can't seem to increase my stamina and I get winded easily. (For example, I always use the stairs at work. But I still get out of breath on them.) Bike -- The stationary bike bothers my knee after awhile. I can't get it adjusted well. (Also the seat makes my backside go numb, but that's a different issue! LOL) Hope your bronchitis clears up soon!

You’ve got quite a variety of issues that you’re dealing with while training. Good for you working through them and continuing to be active. I’m not sure what you have done to correct or prevent these problems so I’m just going to throw a few suggestions out there, though I am sure you have done some of them.

I’m not sure what you’ve done in the past to work with your plantar fasciitis, but here is a great link that might be able to prevent future problems. These techniques can also be used for treatment if it does start to act up again. Check out the video at the bottom of the page for a great demonstration of the release techniques.

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/self-muscle-massage-series/self-muscle-massage-pt-9-the-foot/

I did some research on chondromalacia patella and many of the sources said that strengthening the inner quadricep muscle can help alleviate symptoms. Try sitting/lying on the floor with one leg in 45 degree flexion with the foot flat on the floor, the other lying strait and rotated laterally (away from the midline of the body) and do straight leg raises.

For the rotator cuff – strengthen and stretch all angles of the rotator cuff regularly (strength 2-3 days a week, stretch 5-7) and make sure you listen to your body during training. If you start to feel any pain ease off and let the area rest.

Since your knee is bothering you so much I defiantly recommend a strength and stretch program, as well as local professional help from a physiotherapist or athletic therapist. They will be able to help you best since they can see your knee and are more qualified to offer specific advice. In the mean time use ice for 15 minutes after you acutely injure your knee or rotator cuff (a flare up that occurred less than 2 weeks before) and 15-20 minutes of heat for chronic problems (2+ weeks).

I hope that I have been able to help a little bit!

2011-01-14 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3298780

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Threejs - 2011-01-14 1:38 AM Hi,
May I join your group?  I am a 49 year old mother of 3 teenagers.  I have entered a sprint triathlon in July in MN with my 4 sisters and 1 (of 2) brothers. I am a self employed bookkeeper so my schedule is pretty flexible.  I haven't trained in forever! Looking forward to joining the group as I will need lots of advice.
Thanks!
Ellen

Welcome to our team and welcome to Beginner Triathlete! This site is a great source of information for people new to exercise and triathlon.

Have you started training yet? If so, what have you been doing? If not, check out the free training plans available on this site.

Edited by mbasta 2011-01-14 9:23 AM
2011-01-14 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3298780

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Threejs - 2011-01-14 1:38 AM Hi,
May I join your group?  I am a 49 year old mother of 3 teenagers.  I have entered a sprint triathlon in July in MN with my 4 sisters and 1 (of 2) brothers. I am a self employed bookkeeper so my schedule is pretty flexible.  I haven't trained in forever! Looking forward to joining the group as I will need lots of advice.
Thanks!
Ellen

Double post... and both were empty too!

Edited by mbasta 2011-01-14 9:21 AM
2011-01-14 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3298800

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
rachelann31 - 2011-01-14 2:59 AM

NAME: Rachel Roberts

STORY: I have swam my whole life but was never a runner. I always thought I was decently physically fit but I have encountered quite a few intense wake up calls. I graduated college two years ago this May. Do to some circumstances, I started putting on weight and now I just cant stop! I look back at my college days when I thought I was fat and would kill for that body now.  I have never been a skinny mini- but I would love to be at a healthy weight. I have gained thirty pounds in the last two years and I want it gone! I mentally tell myself everyday that today is the day... but nothing sticks.

I have always wanted to do a triathlon. The swimming part will be a piece of cake, as I have been swimming quite a bit lately. The biking and especially the running will be huge challenges.  This past year I moved to Alaska and there aren't exactly a ton of tris up here. The one I will be competing in is in August and I know it will take me that long to build up my motivation and train.  My cousin is getting married in June and that is the first time I will see my family in quite some time.  The last time they saw me I was at my heaviest and would like to be slimmed down by then.  I think that is a good goal to have. Thirty pounds in 5 months. It feels like such an uphill battle.

All in all, this triathlon will be a huge accomplishment and something I have wanted to do for a long time.  I am doing a sprint triathlon but will need lots of motivation and support!!!

CURRENT TRAINING: Not a whole lot. I have been swimming occasionally.  I found a plan on here that looks like something written for me, although it has me starting with 20 min runs and 40 min bikes.  Believe it or not, that will be very challenging.

WHAT WILL MAKE YOU A GOOD MENTOR: You were one of the first names I clicked on and I was hooked.  I read some of the other profiles but a lot of people out there seem really hardcore.  You are a real woman who is running races and changing your lifestyle.  This is exactly what I am looking for.  I am hoping that you can teach me all of your secrets, especially how you jump started this all, because that is where I am having the most trouble!!

Thanks so much and I look forward to working with you!

Welcome to the group! Triathlon is a great multi sport for weight loss and permanent lifestyle changes. I recommend that you head over to the weight loss area of the forum and introduce yourself when you get the chance.

My number 1 recommendation at this point is to try your best not to focus so much on the weight loss component. In my experience personally and with personal training clients weight loss is a goal where the motivation to eat well and exercise regularly comes and goes. Try to develop as large of a list as possible for making these lifestyle changes so that you have many angles to convince yourself to workout/eat well on days you would prefer not to.

Remember that the training plan you've chosen is only a plan. If 40 minutes of cycling right off the bat is going to be so challenging that it may discourage your effort, do an amount that's right for you. You want to challenge yourself but you also want to have fun. Workouts shouldn't be punishment. Alternatively, while training you always have the option to slow down. Particularly while running beginners tend to go too fast and wear themselves out quickly. If you're at the right speed you can run forever. I run quite slowly still compared to other people but I keep in mind that they aren't me and I have different needs and am at a different point in my training. Run/cycle/swim as slow as you have to.
2011-01-14 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3298805

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
bumbbles21 - 2011-01-14 3:53 AM

Ok so here goes the injury list:

• I have crazy flat feet. If I'm standing w/o shoes there's no space where my arches should be.
  • I used to sprain my ankles while running all the time. This is better than it was when I ran x-country in high school which I think is largely due to switching to better shoes (I wear Brooks Addiction now)
  • My knees hurt whenever I up my distance or difficulty on the run or bike
  • My hips get supper tight the day after a hard run.
  • I was in a car accident in 2006 that messed up my upper back & neck and after a long or bumpy ride they hurt.

Making sure that I stretch and ice have been the most important things so far. I'm currently trying to loose some weight, which I'm hoping will help with my knees & hips.

Today was a "rest day" and I did some slow stretching-style yoga and that really helped to loosen my hips which were starting to get tight.

Hi Lauren! Good to hear that you're doing stretching/yoga, especially with the pain and tightness that you've described. Stretching should be included in every exercise program most days of the week because it helps prevent and treat much of the soreness and tightness caused by activity.

Here is a link that demonstrates some ankle stretching and strengthening exercises that should help prevent further ankle injury, along with the improved choice of running shoe that you described. You should also check out the link that I gave to Dee if you start to experience tightness/soreness in the foot or lower leg. Scroll down to the bottom and watch the video.

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/self-muscle-massage-series/self-muscle-massage-pt-9-the-foot/

I have super flat feet (over-pronator) as well. There's not much we can do about this aside from wearing supportive shoes. I tend to get pain in my posterior tibialis tendon, which runs behind the inner ankle bone (medial maleolus) due to the flatness of my feet. Again I recommend you check out the video in the above link to assist with prevention/treatment of foot pain.

As for the knee pain that you're experiencing during runs/bikes, often this is caused by increasing time/mileage to quickly or by tackling too many hills too aggressively. You may also be lacking strength in the muscles that support the knee.

2011-01-14 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3256872

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Oh, I was just checking out the Athlete's Treating Athlete's website for my above mentions posterior tibialis problem and I found a great resource I want to share. Here's an article on treating runner's knee, but doing the stretches and strength exercises described help prevent/treat many foot and knee problems that occur in athletes.

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/overuse-injuries/patellofemoral-pain/pfsrunners-knee-treatment/
2011-01-14 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3299261

User image

New user

Canby
mbasta - 2011-01-14 7:35 AM

NAME: Rachel Roberts

STORY: I have swam my whole life but was never a runner. I always thought I was decently physically fit but I have encountered quite a few intense wake up calls. I graduated college two years ago this May. Do to some circumstances, I started putting on weight and now I just cant stop! I look back at my college days when I thought I was fat and would kill for that body now.  I have never been a skinny mini- but I would love to be at a healthy weight. I have gained thirty pounds in the last two years and I want it gone! I mentally tell myself everyday that today is the day... but nothing sticks.

I have always wanted to do a triathlon. The swimming part will be a piece of cake, as I have been swimming quite a bit lately. The biking and especially the running will be huge challenges.  This past year I moved to Alaska and there aren't exactly a ton of tris up here. The one I will be competing in is in August and I know it will take me that long to build up my motivation and train.  My cousin is getting married in June and that is the first time I will see my family in quite some time.  The last time they saw me I was at my heaviest and would like to be slimmed down by then.  I think that is a good goal to have. Thirty pounds in 5 months. It feels like such an uphill battle.

All in all, this triathlon will be a huge accomplishment and something I have wanted to do for a long time.  I am doing a sprint triathlon but will need lots of motivation and support!!!

CURRENT TRAINING: Not a whole lot. I have been swimming occasionally.  I found a plan on here that looks like something written for me, although it has me starting with 20 min runs and 40 min bikes.  Believe it or not, that will be very challenging.

WHAT WILL MAKE YOU A GOOD MENTOR: You were one of the first names I clicked on and I was hooked.  I read some of the other profiles but a lot of people out there seem really hardcore.  You are a real woman who is running races and changing your lifestyle.  This is exactly what I am looking for.  I am hoping that you can teach me all of your secrets, especially how you jump started this all, because that is where I am having the most trouble!!

Thanks so much and I look forward to working with you!

Welcome to the group! Triathlon is a great multi sport for weight loss and permanent lifestyle changes. I recommend that you head over to the weight loss area of the forum and introduce yourself when you get the chance.

My number 1 recommendation at this point is to try your best not to focus so much on the weight loss component. In my experience personally and with personal training clients weight loss is a goal where the motivation to eat well and exercise regularly comes and goes. Try to develop as large of a list as possible for making these lifestyle changes so that you have many angles to convince yourself to workout/eat well on days you would prefer not to.

Remember that the training plan you've chosen is only a plan. If 40 minutes of cycling right off the bat is going to be so challenging that it may discourage your effort, do an amount that's right for you. You want to challenge yourself but you also want to have fun. Workouts shouldn't be punishment. Alternatively, while training you always have the option to slow down. Particularly while running beginners tend to go too fast and wear themselves out quickly. If you're at the right speed you can run forever. I run quite slowly still compared to other people but I keep in mind that they aren't me and I have different needs and am at a different point in my training. Run/cycle/swim as slow as you have to.

Hi Rachel,
I'm brand new to tri's also.  I have found a great 11 week training that will work for me.  You can check it out at http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/10wtp.pdf  and see what you think.  For me the biking and swimming will be much easier than running.  I really like this guys approach to running.  Looking forward to encouraging you along the way, and working with you as I train myself!
~Kari 
2011-01-14 10:46 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada

I thought since there as so many new BT members that some of you might like to know how to add friends. When you add a friend you have access their training blog from a column on the left hand side of your training blog. Here's a link that explains how to add friends:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=164610&posts=2&highlight=add
friends&highlightmode=2

Edited by mbasta 2011-01-14 10:47 AM
2011-01-14 10:49 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada

Hi Kari! Nice to see you in here at the same time. What are your plans for the day? Any training or is this a rest day?

2011-01-14 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3299507

User image

New user

Canby
mbasta - 2011-01-14 8:49 AM

Hi Kari! Nice to see you in here at the same time. What are your plans for the day? Any training or is this a rest day?

Friday is my work day.  I work 13 hours a week outside the home, otherwise I'm home with my girls. And so....it's a rest day for me! (at least most of the time)  I was able to have two great cardio workouts this week though.  I had to take a few week break because I had an incision under my armpit that had stitches for a week, then broke open, and then had to re-heal!!  I'm finally able to move around like normal without fear of hurting it further!!  Hoping to get on a stationary bike this weekend perhaps?   

2011-01-14 4:44 PM
in reply to: #3299491

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Karijoyous - 2011-01-14 11:45 AM

I'm brand new to tri's also.  I have found a great 11 week training that will work for me...... 

Don't forget about the BT training plans, too! Click the "Programs" button at the top of the screen for more info.

2011-01-14 4:44 PM
in reply to: #3298800

User image

Champion
Taser-World

This past year I moved to Alaska...........

Brrrrrrrrr! My body temp dropped 20 degrees just *reading* that!

2011-01-14 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3300454

User image

Champion
Taser-World
2011-01-14 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3300082

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Karijoyous - 2011-01-14 3:04 PM
mbasta - 2011-01-14 8:49 AM

Friday is my work day.  I work 13 hours a week outside the home, otherwise I'm home with my girls. And so....it's a rest day for me! (at least most of the time)  I was able to have two great cardio workouts this week though.  I had to take a few week break because I had an incision under my armpit that had stitches for a week, then broke open, and then had to re-heal!!  I'm finally able to move around like normal without fear of hurting it further!!  Hoping to get on a stationary bike this weekend perhaps?   

Ouch! Good luck with the bike this weekend. I am expecting/hoping to resume indoor training next week as long as my lungs play along. I live in Canada so outdoor training (my runs) will probably be postponed for 1 more week unfortunatly due to cold air making my lungs spasm.
2011-01-14 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3300458

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada

Thanks! I was about to welcome a new member and realized you changed your avatar. I need a new one... I've had this since I joined other than during Haloween when I posted a costume pic.

2011-01-14 11:58 PM
in reply to: #3299219

Veteran
I just started my training today!  Since I haven't done much in the way of exercise, I am starting with a run/walk (mostly walk ) program.  I have also entered a 5k on 2/12/11 that my son and his friends are sponsoring. 

In addition to beginning swimming and biking I am also looking for a beginner weight training program.  Do you have any recommendations?

I plan to get a good workout in tomorrow at my daughter's soccer tournament.  Have a great weekend!
2011-01-15 12:26 AM
in reply to: #3299491

User image

New user

Kari- Thanks so much for the advice! I think that is a great approach to running as there is a lot of walking involved in the beginning.  Luckily I have more than 11 weeks to prepare. I will be taking it verrrry slowly and getting into the workouts gradually. This site helped a lot! (Since I do have so much time to prepare, I hope to not keep putting it off but just get off the couch and start training.)  When is your first tri? And what did you use as your initial motivation to start your training and workouts? Im not very good at self discipline- perhaps this tri training will help with several aspects of my life :] Thanks for your support!
Rachel
2011-01-15 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3300939

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada

Threejs - 2011-01-15 12:58 AM I just started my training today!  Since I haven't done much in the way of exercise, I am starting with a run/walk (mostly walk ) program.  I have also entered a 5k on 2/12/11 that my son and his friends are sponsoring. 

In addition to beginning swimming and biking I am also looking for a beginner weight training program.  Do you have any recommendations?

I plan to get a good workout in tomorrow at my daughter's soccer tournament.  Have a great weekend!

Good for you starting your program! Don't worry about including walking, it will get you up to speed. I just started running at the end of May and my first week I did run 1 minute walk 2 minute intervals, building up from there. During the walks maitain a strong pace, not a leisurely stroll so that the cardiovascular system is still being worked.

Does anyone want a recommended list of beginner run intervals? It looks something along the lines of: (Week 1 - 3 sessions, R1W2, 21 minutes) (Week 2 - 3 sessions, R1W1, 20 minutes).

What tools do you have access to for strength training? once I know what you have i can suggest some exercises for you. There are plenty of body weight only strengthening exercises that are fantastic too!

have fun at the soccar tournament!

2011-01-15 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3300946

User image

New user

Canby
rachelann31 - 2011-01-14 10:26 PM Kari- Thanks so much for the advice! I think that is a great approach to running as there is a lot of walking involved in the beginning.  Luckily I have more than 11 weeks to prepare. I will be taking it verrrry slowly and getting into the workouts gradually. This site helped a lot! (Since I do have so much time to prepare, I hope to not keep putting it off but just get off the couch and start training.)  When is your first tri? And what did you use as your initial motivation to start your training and workouts? Im not very good at self discipline- perhaps this tri training will help with several aspects of my life :] Thanks for your support!
Rachel

Rachel,
My first tri is May 7th.  It's a sprint tri.  I'm really looking forward to doing it, so I can challenge myself.  If I think about it too much, I start to feel really nervous, but I know I can do it!  The last two years I have finally kicked myself into health mode so to speak.  I started to change my diet (this is still a struggle for me), and I started working out on a regular basis.  Mostly, I was riding my bike because it was summer time.  When the colder weather hit, I started doing workout videos.  I'm not much of a gym person, so I haven't done that.  I was really active in highschool doing sports and pe classes, but all that dropped off for several years after I got married and had a full time job.  I stopped taking care of my body.  My motivation comes and goes, but I'm very goal driven, and I started telling people I was going to do this tri before sign ups were even open.  I just needed that accountability and pressure so I would follow thru.  I will really start my 11 week training in just a few weeks.  Since the fall I have not been working out on a regular bases.  Fortunately, my weight has stayed the same, but I need to get back in condition.  Before my actual training starts, I will be doing more workout videos (which is bascially some really great cardio/strength training) I will swim a little bit and do a little bit on a stationary bike.  The other thing that helps me do my workouts is reminding myself how I will feel when I'm done.  I ALWAYS feel spectacular when I've finished working out!  Once you get over the first few days of soreness you'll be good to go....  What are you plans this coming week?
~Kari 
2011-01-15 11:47 AM

Name: Jennifer

Story: 
I live in metro Detroit and enjoy swimming and bicycling.  Never got into running but have been spotted "winging it" with 5k and 10k events as more of a walk/jog participant than the actual running that one is suppose to be doing.  Figured if I finished it some way/some how that it would be an accomplishment.  Love the outdoors and recently moved to an area where there is a YMCA and nature trail within 2 miles from my home -- now I have no excuses.  Looking to 2011 as the year to make changes in fitness where I can get a routine established early in the year in order to enter into some events by this summer.  I have completed one Danskin tri event in NJ in 2005 with very little training (oops).  I would like to get back into the groove for this year!

Why I'd like to join this group: Looking for both motivation and accoutability with others in addtion to someone who has the knowledge and experience on what needs to be done. 

Races:
 Actually signed up for a 40 story climb of the Detroit Ren Cen at the beginning of March.  Looking to fill in tri events and runs to fill up the March - October calendar.  Got some good ideas?

Current training: No set schedule (would like one, hence why I am here). 

Weightloss:
Need it just like everyone (wink wink). 

What will make me a good mentee: Postive and peppy little spark here.  Willing to try a variety of different methods to get to the goal.  Looking forward to a great year, learning about other members of the group here and bettering ourselves together!

2011-01-15 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3301421

User image

Champion
Taser-World
2011-01-15 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3301397

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Karijoyous - 2011-01-15 12:30 PM
rachelann31 - 2011-01-14 10:26 PM Kari- Thanks so much for the advice! I think that is a great approach to running as there is a lot of walking involved in the beginning.  Luckily I have more than 11 weeks to prepare. I will be taking it verrrry slowly and getting into the workouts gradually. This site helped a lot! (Since I do have so much time to prepare, I hope to not keep putting it off but just get off the couch and start training.)  When is your first tri? And what did you use as your initial motivation to start your training and workouts? Im not very good at self discipline- perhaps this tri training will help with several aspects of my life :] Thanks for your support!
Rachel

Rachel,
My first tri is May 7th.  It's a sprint tri.  I'm really looking forward to doing it, so I can challenge myself.  If I think about it too much, I start to feel really nervous, but I know I can do it!  The last two years I have finally kicked myself into health mode so to speak.  I started to change my diet (this is still a struggle for me), and I started working out on a regular basis.  Mostly, I was riding my bike because it was summer time.  When the colder weather hit, I started doing workout videos.  I'm not much of a gym person, so I haven't done that.  I was really active in highschool doing sports and pe classes, but all that dropped off for several years after I got married and had a full time job.  I stopped taking care of my body.  My motivation comes and goes, but I'm very goal driven, and I started telling people I was going to do this tri before sign ups were even open.  I just needed that accountability and pressure so I would follow thru.  I will really start my 11 week training in just a few weeks.  Since the fall I have not been working out on a regular bases.  Fortunately, my weight has stayed the same, but I need to get back in condition.  Before my actual training starts, I will be doing more workout videos (which is bascially some really great cardio/strength training) I will swim a little bit and do a little bit on a stationary bike.  The other thing that helps me do my workouts is reminding myself how I will feel when I'm done.  I ALWAYS feel spectacular when I've finished working out!  Once you get over the first few days of soreness you'll be good to go....  What are you plans this coming week?
~Kari 

The difficulty you're having with the nutritional component is normal. Since you're still establishing a regular training routine try not to be too hard on yourself when it comes to nutrition. Nutrition and training are two huge life changes, small bites at a time = success.

A great quote that i read on BT but can't remember the member who said it: "I never regret finishing a workout." Your comment about feeling good when done a workout reminded me about that. I keep that quote in mind in the middle of workouts when my motivation may be running thin.
2011-01-15 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3301421

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada

polojen - 2011-01-15 12:47 PM Name: Jennifer

Story: 
I live in metro Detroit and enjoy swimming and bicycling.  Never got into running but have been spotted "winging it" with 5k and 10k events as more of a walk/jog participant than the actual running that one is suppose to be doing.  Figured if I finished it some way/some how that it would be an accomplishment.  Love the outdoors and recently moved to an area where there is a YMCA and nature trail within 2 miles from my home -- now I have no excuses.  Looking to 2011 as the year to make changes in fitness where I can get a routine established early in the year in order to enter into some events by this summer.  I have completed one Danskin tri event in NJ in 2005 with very little training (oops).  I would like to get back into the groove for this year!

Why I'd like to join this group: Looking for both motivation and accoutability with others in addtion to someone who has the knowledge and experience on what needs to be done. 

Races:
 Actually signed up for a 40 story climb of the Detroit Ren Cen at the beginning of March.  Looking to fill in tri events and runs to fill up the March - October calendar.  Got some good ideas?

Current training: No set schedule (would like one, hence why I am here). 

Weightloss:
Need it just like everyone (wink wink). 

What will make me a good mentee: Postive and peppy little spark here.  Willing to try a variety of different methods to get to the goal.  Looking forward to a great year, learning about other members of the group here and bettering ourselves together!

Welcome Jennifer! When choosing races to fill your calendar go check out the "races" section that you'll find at the top of the page to give you some ideas. You can also go to the geographic specific area of the forum and find BT members in your area for advice on races.

2011-01-15 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3301653

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada

Hehehe glitter graphics... noo this wasn't made by Dee...

I like it! It's much easier to read than the one with the image in the background.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Curious - closed Rss Feed  

of 26