BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Amazon's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-01-06 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3258408

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Amazon's Group - OPEN
How to friend someone?  I think you are asking how to list your friends on yor training blog?  Go to settings at top of page. Click on "Training Blog Customization" tab and then click on "Friends" tab.  Enter the names of the friends you desire and they will then be added to the left side of your training blog so that you can easily click on them and be taken to their training blog.

2011-01-06 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3280904

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
Laurie – Congrats on your recent turnaround! I love hearing $hit like that – really! It’s amazing what triathlon can do huh! So your currently on the BT 20 week 2x balanced – will you complete that and then bounce right into the 16 week 3x plan? Just curious

Yes, that is the plan right now.  I do better if I have some guidance as far as what to do and when.  I used one of the sprint plans last year and am kind of in between the two.  I figured if I used a modified olympic it could help me to build up to the actual olympic plan that I'm going to use to train for the Austin tri.  I'm at the end of my second week right now and so far so good. 

On a completely unrelated note, I just wanted to throw out there that I too, was a band geek in highschool!  Must be something there seeing as how there are atleast 3 of us in this group alone.Laughing
2011-01-06 3:56 PM

User image

Master

We should commission a study or a poll to see how many BT'ers were band geeks. 

2011-01-06 3:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
I was thinking the same thing!
2011-01-06 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
I wish I could support the band geek poll, but alas, back then we had to whistle our music. I did Rodeo though, does that count?

Nutrition tracking has begun again. I'm up to 210 and need to bring it back down to 200, before the wife frowns at me!

I also developed my own program last year based on my experience in the military and my readings. It was straight forward but very demanding, which is what I tend to be on myself. Swimming is my weakness due to my right shoulder reconstruction. For some reason they never seem to work the same again... ?
2011-01-06 9:42 PM

Dover Foxcroft
Hi--

Ajustice-- I have trained w/ my kids in my bike trailer (w/ mountain bike) and it's only made my legs stronger from pulling the extra weight!  I'll probably have to do some of that again this spring when the snow melts.

Expectations for the mentor group: Just want to be held accountable and enjoy some camaraderie.  It's so nice to be able to "chat" w/ other like minded people.  There are very few people in my rural area who are into multisport.

My goals for this season:  Work on my "mental game" (I make excuses and lower my expectations on myself during the race).   Break 1:30 for sprint Tris.  Break 26:40 for 5k.  Challenge myself w/ a 10k.

Training Plan:  Still up in the air.  I think I'd like to create my own.  I am crunched for time but do have an hour a day for training.  The BT plans for sprint are very short in duration each day, I'd like a longer workout. I also would prefer to only swim on one day, bike another and run another. I understand & do Bricks but do I really need to base all my workouts on combined S/B B/R?

Another goal is to get more sleep- goodnight!

2011-01-07 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3283615

User image

Master

Regarding bricks and s/b workouts - no they need not be what all your workouts consist of.  I believe that the prevailing attitude you will come across is that you should do some bricks (biking then run) to prep for that specific feeling you will encounter coming off the bike.

For those who are time starved like me - Chris Carmichael's book may be an alternative.  His research suggests that high intensity training allows you to prepare to be competitive in shorter amounts of time and his studies also show that the physiological response of your body going from swim to bike is different than just bike alone.  Therefore, his plan incorporates more back to back workouts across the disciplines.  Makes sense to me - train like you will race.

Opinions?

2011-01-07 10:53 AM

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC
I am currently training on the BT 3x balanced Half plan. Typically there are 9 seperate workouts in any given week, so I have to double-up workouts on a few days if I want to get all 9 in and take a day or two off for rest. On the days I double-up, most of the time I will do the workouts back-to-back. I often wonder if I should do one in the am and one in the pm, but I too think you should train like you compete - one right after the other.
2011-01-07 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3281281

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC
Melissa,

Congrats on your son! Our little girl just turned 1 in Nov. Hopefully this group will not allow you to start this and not finish it!

Here's my early advice. First, go buy this book (http://www.amazon.com/Your-First-Triathlon-Joe-Friel/dp/1931382859).

Next, pick a race in May/June and sign up for it right now! Don't wait to see if you'll be in good shape, whether you'll still feel like it, etc... This will give you 20 SOLID weeks to prepare.

THIS is dumb, but very important in my mind...Once you have chosen the race (and a Sprint is a GREAT way to start) take a black Sharpie and write the name of the event and the date of the event on the front of that book. Carry this book with you and let the cover be your reminder of what your going to do. I still have my book and on the cover it says "Buckner Mission Man - July 26, 2008".

Read the book...over and over if you have to. There are some really good tips in there for beginners. It's not too much to comprehend and written in very basic terms.

Next, pick yourself a 20 week training plan based on how much time you are willing to train each week. I used the 3x balanced Sprint for my first one and did just fine. If the times seem short (and the runs will during the early weeks), simply increase the intensity of that workout.

Let us know if you have any questions and get back to us on what you come up with!

Good Luck - Mike
2011-01-07 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3284530

Dover Foxcroft
That does make sense to double up and train for the actual event.  I'm going to check out the Carmichael book and see what other challenging sprint plans are out there. 
2011-01-07 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
My experience has been that bricks do help, especially in the 1st year or two when the unfamiliar "dead leg" feeling hits you after coming off the bike.   I think that balance is key though.   Again, this is my opinion, but if every workout is a brick, I feel you limit your ability to maximize increased speed and gain in one discipline.   Each week I make 2 of my bike/run workouts a brick.  Sunday's long ride is always followed up with short run of 2-4 miles.   On Tuesday I have stand alone bike workout and then Thursday do longest brick of about 1:30:00 on Bike then 6 mile run.   This is for HIM training.  To be honest, I have never tried the swim/bike brick so cant comment there.  

Advice which should be taken loosely is throw 1 brick a week in and see how you do.   There are plenty of pros who NEVER do a brick workout and just as many who swear by them.  

2011-01-07 1:38 PM

User image

Master
I agree 100% with Cardenas.  For all of my previous sprint tri's (total of 4 - so take with a grin of salt) I have probably done less than 10 bricks (bike / run) in total.  When my plan called for two workouts in one day I typically split them AM / PM.  I did run after swimming quite regularly but the time between the two was more like 15 minutes instead of 5 and I am not sure if that makes a difference.

I have tried high intensity training plans before (the F.I.R.S.T. running plan) and they are hard.  I believe that the Carmichael book recommends it's plan for folks who have some triathlons under their belt.  I think at the end of the day you have to try lots of things before you find what works for yourself.  If it doesn't work for yourself then you won't ultimately complete the plan.  Remember, at the end of the day this is supposed to be fun.
2011-01-07 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison
I haven't picked out a training plan yet - but my "A" race isn't until mid-August.  So I will just SBR with weights and yoga until mid April or so.  I just got in the pool for the first time since May, and swam for the first time since July, so it felt good, but hard. I slept VERY well last night because of it. I also just started logging again after a couple of months hiatus.  Hopefully I will log everything this year and have some great numbers to show off at the end of the year. Maybe that will be one of my goals.

So here's my fitness goals for 2011.

Finish my first HIM
5K under 28 minutes.
Half Mary under 2:05
Finish first Mary.
Work on running, running, running.
Get bike professionally fitted.
Ride IMMOO bike course at least once this summer.
Ride 100 miles on one day of the MS150.
Lose 27 lbs so I no longer qualify for Athena class.
Have fun!

I have a question for everyone. Does anyone use a swim mp3 player and would you recommend it.  I think I would enjoy swimming more if I had some tunes to listen to.  But - I need something that won't break the bank since we are on a tight budget this year.

-Amy
2011-01-07 10:13 PM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
I uploaded the 20 x week OLY swim intensive plan that is on the site. I use it as a guide only. I have already begun to mod it. I prefer to come up with my own plan as I know my weaknesses.

Concur with everyone that bricks are a mandatory training event. Although you may train on two events, they should be treated as a single training period. There is nothing like crawling out of the water after a swim and then biking, followed by a run. You must get your body used to the demand placed on it, and conducting individual events every other day doesn't do you justice.
2011-01-08 4:00 PM

Dover Foxcroft

Started reading ChiRunning- i'm hooked.  Anyone using this method? 

I think i'm going to stick w/ the 16wk 2x sprint or 16wk run focus and modify as needed.

2011-01-08 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
This is my first week back into it. I have been training over the past two months but not with the intensity I had up until Oct.
Goal was 6 sessions this week. Got in 4 so far - 5th tomorrow and only 6 if you count a massage at beg of week. Accountability is key.
I get by as a single mom with a live in nanny. I also commute 2+ hrs a day. But figure 6am is my time and only I can take it away from myself.
GOing to look at Carmichaels book. But don't see myself running or biking after a swim. Pool times just don't allow for it in winter/spring.
Great group!
Fi

2011-01-08 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Wanted to add that both my kids have done tris. Daughter just turned 3, so was technically 2 for her first and son is 7 and done two so far.
Great sport for them. They come to my races and even ex husband is in on it (I bet him/"Chicked" him last Sept by 3 1/2 mins - after he bet me by 5 min is same race year before). Teach him for encroaching on my sport after we split!
2011-01-09 3:49 PM

Hey Mike,

My name is Nathan and I am a fellow North Carolinian living in Sylva.  I would like to be a part of your group if there is still space available.  I am 29 and brand spanking new to the world of triathlons.  My first one will be the Enka Triathlon this June.  I've been running my whole life, biking for a couple years (neither competitively) and have just started building up my swimming endurance.  I  am having trouble picking a training plan as my work schedule is all over the place.  I am hoping to get some advice regarding constructing a solid plan if possible. 

Thanks,

Nathan
2011-01-09 11:39 PM

New user

Hello there!Would love to join you all in this group, if there is still room. If there is please let me know and I fill fill you in on all my details. My short story is that I've somehow convinced myself that I am going to complete a sprint triathlon this year, but I actually don't know anyone active in the sport - so definitely will enjoy a group like this!Kristi
2011-01-10 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Top of the week to everyone.  I hope everyone had a chance to work out like they planned over the weekend!  My biggest challenge is getting to bed early enough so that I can get up early enough to get my workouts in.  I hit all of my cylcing workouts last week (easier when you only have to trudge to the basement and get on the trainer) but failed miserably at getting up and driving to the gym to swim and run.  Realy can't wait until its easier to run outside in the early mornings.

For those with trainers for their bikes, I have started using Jorge's winter cycling plan.  There is a thread on the BT site devoted to it.  It consists of workouts designed to increase your power on the bike.  They are written for HR or Power (if you have the capability).  So far I have completed the first two prep weeks and this week is a testing week to establish my baseline. 
2011-01-10 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Morning everyone and welcome to all of the newcomers! Well, its official, there is 4" of white stuff on the ground. I'm not going to be hitting the bike today! I've decided to re-eval and do some strength training in the garage and then, if the snow is still dry enough, I'll still do my 7.5 mile run, with leggings and the works!

Work has been officially been closed down, so I'll hop in the truck and see how many people I can pull out of the ditch before I get home..

Edited by JMMauldwin 2011-01-10 10:13 AM

2011-01-10 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Amazon's Group - CLOSED
Sounds like everyone is in the final stages of either working on a training schedule or adjusting to log it onto this site so we can all motivate and encourage along the way!    Glad I got the training in this weekend and I hate to admit, but this is why suffering through months of heat and humidy actually pays off and you can enjoy the mostly mild climate.   Really puts my excuses to shame as far as not getting training in.  

I have a question I am embarresed to ask, but what is the easy way to find the link to our group?   I have to go through search forums all the time and there has to be an easier way.   Dont make fun, I am a computer illiterate.   Thanks. 

2011-01-10 3:29 PM

New user

Mike- 

Thanks so much.  I ordered the book on Saturday, so it should be here tomorrow or Wednesday!  I think the 20 week 3x balanced will work best for me, now it's getting into the gym.  I work 2 nights a week, which seriously cuts into when my husband and I would train together, but i'm not going to make excuses- i am going to find a way around this!

I am just waiting on my husband to get our fitness club membership started (he has to go through his company) and we are ready to go!!  Once I know when we can start getting into the gym, we'll pick our race!!
2011-01-10 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3290140

User image

New user

cardenas1 - 2011-01-10 12:53 PM 

I have a question I am embarresed to ask, but what is the easy way to find the link to our group?   I have to go through search forums all the time and there has to be an easier way.   Dont make fun, I am a computer illiterate.   Thanks. 

I set a bookmark/favorite in my browser to get here quickly.
2011-01-10 5:54 PM

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC
good idea on the link - i was going through the same dang thing trying to get to our forum!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Amazon's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6