BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2011-01-06 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3259938

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: Ernesto Villarroel's Group - OPEN
Forgot to include that my first planned tri is on March 13 (St Patrick's Day) at Keller, TX.  300 meter swim, 12 mile bike, 3.1 mile run.  I know I can do the bike and run alone.   I almost did it in training last week.  Adding the swim really complicates things Laughing

After that, I'm not sure what to do next.  The next distance up seems like a big jump!

Jackie
Just Do It

2011-01-06 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3283011

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto Villarroel's Group - OPEN
jdiis - 2011-01-06 4:04 PM Forgot to include that my first planned tri is on March 13 (St Patrick's Day) at Keller, TX.  300 meter swim, 12 mile bike, 3.1 mile run.  I know I can do the bike and run alone.   I almost did it in training last week.  Adding the swim really complicates things Laughing

After that, I'm not sure what to do next.  The next distance up seems like a big jump!

Jackie
Just Do It

Jackie,

Welcome to the group! 58 years young is a great age for triathlons, you'd be surprised to know how many 60+ have kicked me on the dirt running half marathons (and I run one in 1:37). It's also great that you have done centuries, they're great for endurance training.
Also great that you hired a swim coach, as I mentioned to Brian, starting with a coach will help you have good form, which accounts for 90% of the swim. Don't worry about swimming endurance, it will come in a few weeks; remember, your upper body hasn't been used a whole lot on the bike so those are muscles that will take some development.
I share that passion for chocolate as well!
2011-01-06 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3282872

User image

Master
Dallas
skpaz - 2011-01-06 3:09 PM Hello Ernesto,
Looks like you may still have room for someone that needs some help. Hope this is still open after I post.

thanks,
Steve

Steve,

You're on as well, welcome! let me know what you'd like to get out of this group, please. Any race in mind?
2011-01-06 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3283075

Verona
Great Thanks!
I am 41 going on 42 quick. Never really exercised or ran until September of 2009. Started to train for my first 5K that I finished in November. Ended up with a stress fracture (now I know to take it slow) so I took it easy for 6 weeks and then started training for a sprint Tri in Pardeeville,WI that I completed in July,2010. At the same time I started to train for my first Marathon in Middleton, WI which I finished in 4:23. My goal for the new year was to do the half IM in Door County,WI.  I also just signed up for the Madison Marathon in late May where I hope to do better than 4 hours. I am married, have two kids, work.... and need to find time to work out.  Took some time off after the Marathon and really have not done much. I have been going to the local pool (two weeks) to work on the swimming. Never realized how difficult it was to swim for real!! I would rather run 26 miles than do 1 hour at the pool...  Laughing
Just hoping to get some help, encouragement, etc.... then 2012 will be an Iron Man.
Well that's it! I'm ready to go!
2011-01-06 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3283364

User image

Master
Dallas
skpaz - 2011-01-06 7:26 PM Great Thanks!
I am 41 going on 42 quick. Never really exercised or ran until September of 2009. Started to train for my first 5K that I finished in November. Ended up with a stress fracture (now I know to take it slow) so I took it easy for 6 weeks and then started training for a sprint Tri in Pardeeville,WI that I completed in July,2010. At the same time I started to train for my first Marathon in Middleton, WI which I finished in 4:23. My goal for the new year was to do the half IM in Door County,WI.  I also just signed up for the Madison Marathon in late May where I hope to do better than 4 hours. I am married, have two kids, work.... and need to find time to work out.  Took some time off after the Marathon and really have not done much. I have been going to the local pool (two weeks) to work on the swimming. Never realized how difficult it was to swim for real!! I would rather run 26 miles than do 1 hour at the pool...  Laughing
Just hoping to get some help, encouragement, etc.... then 2012 will be an Iron Man.
Well that's it! I'm ready to go!

The hour at the pool is much better than a full marathon, it will take you time to adjust though. Once you create good form, your swim will be nearly effortless. Head position (looking straight down to the bottom of the pool), catch up, hip rotation and a strong kick takes time. Once you get it right a long swim is just piece of cake.
What time is the Half Iron that you plan to complete this year?
2011-01-06 9:01 PM

El Paso
Hi Ernesto,I would like to join your group, if you still have an openning.I started running last year and now I run 6 miles a day and 10 every other weekend, I also use to do mountain biking and run a couple of 100k races and improve from 9hrs to 5hrs. I want to do my first full ironman in Arizona but if posible and also if you recomend I would like to do an olimpic on the summer..I need to loss 20lb, I'm currently 195 but was 180 before the holidays..I'm married and have 3 dougthers and 1, currently going to college.Hope to get in your group

2011-01-06 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3283524

Verona

Oh yes I forgot that... the half Iron Man is July 17th!

Yes my problem is keeping the head down and breathing on both sides... still difficult.

2011-01-06 11:44 PM
in reply to: #3282716

Hi again- I wanted to know more about the special needs bag. Where on the course is it located? How do you get it? Is it just extra stuff you may want on the bike and/or run course after the transitions? If you had one, can you suggest what to put in it? I was thinking about getting some compression socks. Do you have recommendations on them? Would you wear them for both the bike & the run or just the run?Thanks,Joan
2011-01-07 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3283550

User image

Master
Dallas
alfredo1414 - 2011-01-06 9:01 PM Hi Ernesto,I would like to join your group, if you still have an openning.I started running last year and now I run 6 miles a day and 10 every other weekend, I also use to do mountain biking and run a couple of 100k races and improve from 9hrs to 5hrs. I want to do my first full ironman in Arizona but if posible and also if you recomend I would like to do an olimpic on the summer..I need to loss 20lb, I'm currently 195 but was 180 before the holidays..I'm married and have 3 dougthers and 1, currently going to college.Hope to get in your group

Welcome to the boat Alfredo! Arizona was my first (and only so far) full Ironman. The venue is breathtaking beautiful and it's "easy" (relative to other venues). Just curious, do you have a Garmin?
2011-01-07 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3283552

User image

Master
Dallas
skpaz - 2011-01-06 9:02 PM

Oh yes I forgot that... the half Iron Man is July 17th!

Yes my problem is keeping the head down and breathing on both sides... still difficult.

Billateral breathing is more like a swimmer's treat, when you're swimming you should breath EVERY stroke towards your dominant side. That way you supply oxygen and stay aerobic all the time. Head down is definitely necessary though.
2011-01-07 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3283759

User image

Master
Dallas
Jd_montgomery - 2011-01-06 11:44 PM Hi again- I wanted to know more about the special needs bag. Where on the course is it located? How do you get it? Is it just extra stuff you may want on the bike and/or run course after the transitions? If you had one, can you suggest what to put in it? I was thinking about getting some compression socks. Do you have recommendations on them? Would you wear them for both the bike & the run or just the run?Thanks,Joan

On race morning you'll have three bags that are optional:
1- Morning clothes bag, where you can put the stuff you had on before your wetsuit went on plus whatever you want to wear AFTER the race.
2- Bike special needs bag, it will be given to you around the halfway mark of the bike course. The way they do it is the set up a lot of boxes (each box containing 50 bags), all the boxes are lined up by bib numbers so it is very easy to find, and a volunteer will hand it to you. In this bag you can put whatever you want that you think could be useful half way through the bike (i.e.: additional spare tubes in case you had too many flats, more bottles if you're taking in nutrition that is not on the course, socks, etc.).
3- Run special needs bag, the same as the bike but given to you halfway through the run. In that one I put an extra pair of shoes, body glide to avoid blisters, extra socks and ADVIL for the pain and swelling (this is a good trick, and I took some before in T2). I never picked up this bag because I didn't need to.
These bags are in addition to the bike transition and run trasition bags, which have to be turned in the night before.

I have two pair of compression socks, I don't see any gains or difference at all by using them. I think it is just a gimmick to seel you more stuff.

2011-01-07 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Dallas
Three or four more and I'm closing the group...
2011-01-07 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3284090

Verona
Ernesto,
I see you have a Garmin 305, have you had any problems with the heart rate monitor? Mine was working when I bought it, then it started to give me readings above 210 (should have been dead by then). I contacted Garmin and they told me to remove the battery, use gels, reset the watch,......etc. Now they sent me a new monitor and it still is doing the same thing. Any ideas? When I ran on my treadmil yesterday I put on the polar monitor and me treadmil is giving me an accurate reading. I may just have to send the whole thing back I guess?
thanks
2011-01-07 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3284154

User image

Master
Dallas
skpaz - 2011-01-07 8:39 AM Ernesto,
I see you have a Garmin 305, have you had any problems with the heart rate monitor? Mine was working when I bought it, then it started to give me readings above 210 (should have been dead by then). I contacted Garmin and they told me to remove the battery, use gels, reset the watch,......etc. Now they sent me a new monitor and it still is doing the same thing. Any ideas? When I ran on my treadmil yesterday I put on the polar monitor and me treadmil is giving me an accurate reading. I may just have to send the whole thing back I guess?
thanks

Mine does the same until I start sweating, the Garmin works by conductivity, therefore it needs water. What I do is put some hand lotion behind the strap (the ribbed part) and also I put the strap on a few minutes before I start the workout. You have probably noticed too that the problem dissapears after a mile or so, right?
2011-01-07 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3284412

Verona
No, unfortunately mine goes crazy after a few miles and I am sweating. I even have tried putting it on my back as they told me to and still not good. I am waiting for a response from them to see what else we can do. Thanks
On another note... I did start back up on the treadmill yesterday... boy it is so hard to run inside but it is soo darn cold up here right now! We are supposed to be in the high teens for the week. I am just going to jump on my bike indoors also I guess.
2011-01-07 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
You're not the only one that hates the indoors, I feel like I'm being tortured when I get on my trainer, and next week Dallas will have Arctic weather so I may have to put a three hour ride inside my living room. Arghhhhhh! Yell

2011-01-07 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Hi Ernesto, I'd like to join your group before it's too late.

NAME: username: markz / first name: Mark
STORY: This is my 4th year of triathlon training, prior to that I was mainly running for fun. I don't do many races a year. so far I have completed a Sprint in Wisconsin, few Olys in Chicago and one IM 70.3 in Racine. I also have several 1/2 Marys, 3 Marathons and many shorter running races under my belt.
I love being fit and at this point races provide only a minor motivation to workout. I don't care about being fast, but rather get the kick from being able to do the distance. Still, love the races, the excitement etc. and  this time I am getting ready for IM. 
I'm 'originally' from Poland, but since lived in Austria, USA (LA, Hawaii, Chicago) and now Australia.
FAMILY STATUS: Married to a beautiful Colombian girl (I am still not speaking Spanish, just the bad words, body parts etc.), we have a beautiful 3 yo daughter.
CURRENT TRAINING: I don't follow any training plans, just make sure I can comfortably do the distance. My OWS include 4k swims now, some of the bike rides are in the mountains and running is sort of in the maintenance mode, but still do occasional 20+ kms LSD. I know I need to do some more really long bike rides, but it has been pouring here for months now and it's hard to time it.  On top of it I will have to travel to Poland again soon for a month or so to sell our house and it's middle of winter there.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Signed up for my first IM Australia in Port Macuarie in May 1st 2011! The goal is just to finish it, really.
Other than that I might do another Marathon here on the Gold Coast in July. 
2010 RACES:  10k running race in my home town in Poland and a Marathon here on the Gold Coast, Australia.
WEIGHTLOSS: I'm one of the lucky ones who never have to worry about it. As long as I remember my weight has been 150 lbs, give or take a few. I have been a vegetarian almost all my life, maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know.
2011-01-07 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3283069

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Wow, the swim coach was awesome!  He's 22, but very experienced.  He said other than my arms, legs, head and breathing, I looked great Wink.

Seriously, he said I wasn't hopeless and gave me lots to work on and I saw improvement before the end of the lesson.  Now I just have to practice.

Ernesto, during the weeks when I am limited on time, since I have a great cycling base, is it ok to do more swimming workouts?  It seems like one loses the swimming fitness the fastest vs the run or bike.

Jackie
Just Do It
2011-01-07 4:58 PM

Hi Ernesto,

Your mentor group looks great!  Do you have room for one more?  I'm training for IM Wisconsin and would love a support group!

Thanks,
Jo
2011-01-07 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3285240

User image

Master
Dallas
markz - 2011-01-07 2:49 PM Hi Ernesto, I'd like to join your group before it's too late.

NAME: username: markz / first name: Mark
STORY: This is my 4th year of triathlon training, prior to that I was mainly running for fun. I don't do many races a year. so far I have completed a Sprint in Wisconsin, few Olys in Chicago and one IM 70.3 in Racine. I also have several 1/2 Marys, 3 Marathons and many shorter running races under my belt.
I love being fit and at this point races provide only a minor motivation to workout. I don't care about being fast, but rather get the kick from being able to do the distance. Still, love the races, the excitement etc. and  this time I am getting ready for IM. 
I'm 'originally' from Poland, but since lived in Austria, USA (LA, Hawaii, Chicago) and now Australia.
FAMILY STATUS: Married to a beautiful Colombian girl (I am still not speaking Spanish, just the bad words, body parts etc.), we have a beautiful 3 yo daughter.
CURRENT TRAINING: I don't follow any training plans, just make sure I can comfortably do the distance. My OWS include 4k swims now, some of the bike rides are in the mountains and running is sort of in the maintenance mode, but still do occasional 20+ kms LSD. I know I need to do some more really long bike rides, but it has been pouring here for months now and it's hard to time it.  On top of it I will have to travel to Poland again soon for a month or so to sell our house and it's middle of winter there.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Signed up for my first IM Australia in Port Macuarie in May 1st 2011! The goal is just to finish it, really.
Other than that I might do another Marathon here on the Gold Coast in July. 
2010 RACES:  10k running race in my home town in Poland and a Marathon here on the Gold Coast, Australia.
WEIGHTLOSS: I'm one of the lucky ones who never have to worry about it. As long as I remember my weight has been 150 lbs, give or take a few. I have been a vegetarian almost all my life, maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know.

Welcome to the group Mark! our first International triathlete! Are you working out with some kind of program? You seem to be pretty seasoned. Shoot your questions Mate.
2011-01-07 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3285502

User image

Master
Dallas
Wirunnergirl - 2011-01-07 4:58 PM Hi Ernesto,

Your mentor group looks great!  Do you have room for one more?  I'm training for IM Wisconsin and would love a support group!

Thanks,
Jo

You're doing IronMOOOOOOO!!!! Welcome to the band, not a whole lot of room left, but you're in. Ask any questions you'd like answered.

2011-01-07 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3285384

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-01-07 3:54 PM Wow, the swim coach was awesome!  He's 22, but very experienced.  He said other than my arms, legs, head and breathing, I looked great Wink.

Seriously, he said I wasn't hopeless and gave me lots to work on and I saw improvement before the end of the lesson.  Now I just have to practice.

Ernesto, during the weeks when I am limited on time, since I have a great cycling base, is it ok to do more swimming workouts?  It seems like one loses the swimming fitness the fastest vs the run or bike.

Jackie
Just Do It

Jackie,

The aerobic base of swimming is probably the greatest gain you can have of all three sports when starting triathlons so yes, swim as much as three or four times a week (the risk of injury in the water is pretty much zero). It will easily translate to more endurance (especially for the run). If you'd like, let me know your time availability and we can talk a training schedule. Usually having a goal and a plan creates a sense of self accountability.

Also, I'm glad you liked the coaching, some folks hate their first sessions in the pool (I did). Now I'm getting coached myself by Chris MacCurdy (the guy that trained Lance Armstrong in his younger triathlete years).
2011-01-08 12:43 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Ernesto, thank you.
I don't have a plan... With this crazy weather here now (lots of rain) it would be really hard to follow. Plus, I really don't focus on speed so much, just on covering the distance. Last year for few months I was running with an ex professional triathlete (my neighbour) and I didn't enjoy it at all. When I go out for a run, I kind of feel that this is my time to think about whatever I want to think about, change the pace when I feel like it, walk when I feel like it etc. However, I like to follow generally the volume required for a particular distance. 
2011-01-08 2:52 AM
in reply to: #3283949

El Paso
Thank you!! I still don't have a garmin, planning to get one ASAP, do you have a model that you can recomend? Right now I'm in the point that I'm putting everything together that I need, do you have a vital check list? And do you recomend postworkout shakes?
2011-01-08 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3286090

User image

Master
Dallas
markz - 2011-01-08 12:43 AM Ernesto, thank you.
I don't have a plan... With this crazy weather here now (lots of rain) it would be really hard to follow. Plus, I really don't focus on speed so much, just on covering the distance. Last year for few months I was running with an ex professional triathlete (my neighbour) and I didn't enjoy it at all. When I go out for a run, I kind of feel that this is my time to think about whatever I want to think about, change the pace when I feel like it, walk when I feel like it etc. However, I like to follow generally the volume required for a particular distance. 

By looking at your training logs (great job at updating) you're right on track for a great race. Speed and anaerobic threshold doesn't mean much in Ironman, because you'll never tap those muscle fibers. If you do, you're in serious trouble anyway. Maybe you should think about an indoor trainer (I know, I know) to maintain your bike volume. I guess you can still run in the rain, because it's summertime down under, right?
You approach is the right one, it is about covering the distance. Everybody that shoots for accurate splits that they set up mathematically before the race fails miserably when doing their first Ironman. I am an example myself of the right and the wrong way to attack the race, just look at my race reports for Ironman Arizona and Ironman Longhorn 70.3 and you'll see both sides of the coin.
In Ironman, race execution trumps fitness 10 to 1.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 25