BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group 2011 edition - CLOSED for 2011 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-01-15 5:32 PM
in reply to: #3265459

New user

Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group 2011 edition - open
Hello Group! I'm Matt.  I am a 31 year old who has always been athletic but just started to get into Triathlons at the end of 2010.  I did the Amica Sprint and really enjoyed it. So I am looking for a group of people to help push me and give me pointers.  Seems like a great group so far and would like to be a part of it.

I am happily married and have a baby on the way, our first.  I own a medium sized business that does mortgage servicing.

I have previously done a marathon and a weight loss has never been something I have been concerned with (always been the skinny kid).

2011 is going to be a great year and I am going to do a 1/2 marathon, full marathon, sprints and olympic tri's (yet to decide which ones).  I ultimately want to work up to an IM.

2011-01-15 9:16 PM

Extreme Veteran
Matt - welcome aboard. I am going to take one or two more so you are in. We will probably shut this down tomorrow so you snuck in. Smile. We will have a great group. As I told the others - go check out the other group as we will be moving to there very soon. We will be looking to you for some running knowledge. What part of the country are you in?
2011-01-16 8:08 AM

Hi Bryan,

My name is Ray and I'd like to join your group. I'm completely new to tri training, but I  run/bike/nordic track 5x per week or so. I wanted a goal after a pretty tough divorce and there's a fun sprint tri in town that takes place in June. I signed-up and I'm trianing. It feels great.

I'm getting into the pool and improving; that's my weakest area. I haven't run a competitive race in years, but I've enjoyed it when I have. 

I'm 46 years old with two great kids, 12 and 14. They keep me pretty busy and broke (do you have any idea how much summer sleepaway camp costs??)  My favorite part of running and biking is finding the beauty in the places I pass. Yesterday, my run put me past the frozen Saugatuck River, kids on their way home from sledding, and a stately town hall painted bright yellow. It was great.

Off for a swim...
2011-01-16 10:43 AM

Uxbridge
WOO HOOO!!! I am Marianne...part of the original LRR group started three years ago. Bryan is the best mentor eva!!!! (I'm from the Boston area!) It will be fun to have some new members. Welcome to you all!
2011-01-16 11:02 AM

New user

Thanks. Will be glad to contribute where I can. I am from Phoenix, AZ.
2011-01-16 12:54 PM

User image

Evans, GA
I want in!!  Am i too late?

Ok, about me.  I'll be 57 this season, which will be my first full year with this addiction we call triathlon.  I started running about 3 years ago and set a 10k as my "ultimate" goal.  With my son's encouragement, I managed to finish in under an hour, but barely.  He was training for a half marathon.  After watching my son from the sidelines at a couple of half marathons, I started thinking...."I'm on the wrong side of the rope here.  I could be out there running".  And that's where it started.  I've finished 2 half marathons and two sprint distance triathlons last year.  I hope...check that, I WILL do an olympic distance this year and my "reach for the stars" goal is the Augusta HIM in September.  I volunteered at that event last year but I hate being on the sidelines and watching others compete so this year with a little luck i'll be in the crowd. 
I'm fairly well balanced in all three sports.  Slow, Slow and slow.  I'm always looking on BT for answers so i figure getting in a small group with experienced mentors has got to be a huge help.  Bryan, your group sounds like a team i'd like to be on.  I hope there's still room!

Thanks,
Rick

2011-01-16 9:38 PM

Wasaga Beach
Heya!

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to learn from you all.  

I really enjoyed your account of the swim.  Not because of the humor but because I JUST went through a similar experience.

I saw that my local Y had a "Stroke Improvement" class for adults.  Being  the proverbial 'fish in water' type I thought that I could benefit from some outside advice and maybe some tweaking of my already strong swimming technique.  Well I did manage to make it 50m before my lungs almost exploded.  The instructor smiled patiently at me and said FIRST...we'll work on using your legs to kick instead of your size 11 flippers and then we'll teach you had to breath.  She jumped out , walked to the kids toys lying around, grabbed a flutter-board and said "Lets start at square one"
200m later of just kicking I thought I'd need assistance to be able to walk back to the change room.  How quickly and brutally reality can set in...sigh.  Oh well the great news is I get to do it again tomorrow (Monday)!

Anyways thanks again for taking me in, and BTW my first race will be September 10th .

TTYL

Glenn 
2011-01-17 12:44 AM

The team looks pretty good.I volunteered this morning at the LA 13.1. It was a lot of fun. I just rode my bike with a few other members of my tri club monitoring the runners, course, etc.The organizers asked us to get here at 5:30 for a 7:13am start so we were early. This gave us time to go for a quick ride which was fun to get warmed up.I'm on vacation and traveling a lot until the end of the month so I start my official tri training again in February.As for the swim, I'm not that good but I am comfortable with the distance even though I'm not that fast. Just practice a lot in the pool to get breathing rthymn and practice a lot in the ocean with a wetsuit so that you're comfortable with the buoyancy, etc. I'm training for oly distance this year so I'll be doing a lot of laps to practice the 1500m distance. It took me 4 months of swimming 3-4 times/wk to get comfortable with the sprint distance.Also remember that in case of emergency you can always grab a buoy. I don't ever plan to but just knowing that it's there is comforting to me.
2011-01-17 1:38 PM

New user

Augusta Ga
My name is Rob and I am a 40 year old male, married with two kids. I am just beginning to train for triathlon and would like to join your group. My goals are to complete my first sprint triathlon in June with a time of 1: 30 or less. My ultimate goal is to build up and do longer triathlons and to complete an ironman within 2 1/2 years. My main area of concern is swimming, which I am very weak in at this time. I would really appreciate any help your group could give.
2011-01-17 5:33 PM

Veteran
Quail Valley

Hi team,
I have never been a very good swimmer and even took a swim class in college and remember just enough to be dangerous. I will have to check out that website. I need to hit up our swim coach tomorrow for when he can give me some help. I coach high school cross country and track. We( I usually train with my athletes) use Dr. Vigil's running philosophy adapted for high school.

The 30 week training program (IronFit) I am using for IMLou doesn't start until next month. I am training on an exercise bike at the gym until I can buy a new bike. Swim is done at the gym pool and I am not near to where I need to be for the swim but the run and bike I am better shape then what I need to be so that is good. I am using heart rate training for the first time and don't like it so far. I feel like I am running so slow but as i think about it, it should get me use to the pace i will be racing at. We will see. This is also going to change how I coach. This should be a great learning experience if nothing else.

Question- What do you were during the swim if a wetsuit is not allowed like IMLou?
 Also i am thinking about buy a Cervelo P2 and body have one? Is it worth the money?

I look forward to learning from this team!!

2011-01-17 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3303689

Veteran
Quail Valley
3 of my athletes ran that race yesterday. The twims said the went 1-2 in there age group which is surprising because they aren't in great shape right now.

RVD - 2011-01-16 10:44 PM The team looks pretty good.I volunteered this morning at the LA 13.1. It was a lot of fun. I just rode my bike with a few other members of my tri club monitoring the runners, course, etc.The organizers asked us to get here at 5:30 for a 7:13am start so we were early. This gave us time to go for a quick ride which was fun to get warmed up.I'm on vacation and traveling a lot until the end of the month so I start my official tri training again in February.As for the swim, I'm not that good but I am comfortable with the distance even though I'm not that fast. Just practice a lot in the pool to get breathing rthymn and practice a lot in the ocean with a wetsuit so that you're comfortable with the buoyancy, etc. I'm training for oly distance this year so I'll be doing a lot of laps to practice the 1500m distance. It took me 4 months of swimming 3-4 times/wk to get comfortable with the sprint distance.Also remember that in case of emergency you can always grab a buoy. I don't ever plan to but just knowing that it's there is comforting to me.

2011-01-17 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3305093

User image

I feel like I am running so slow but as i think about it, it should get me use to the pace i will be racing at. We will see. This is also going to change how I coach. This should be a great learning experience if nothing else.

Question- What do you were during the swim if a wetsuit is not allowed like IMLou?
 Also i am thinking about buy a Cervelo P2 and body have one? Is it worth the money?

I look forward to learning from this team!!

Hi Phil...  COuple things come to mind, as for the running slow part, I had to teach myself in IM training that I wasn't trying to run the pace I coud run at that moment, but the pace that would allow me to still be running 20 miles later....   Doesn't always work out, but seemed to make sense at the time.

As for IMLou swim, you can check into WTC legal swim skins a la http://www.kiwamitri.com/shop/torpedo-neoprene_1-1.html.  I am not up on the rules since living on the west coast all our tris are wetsuit legal

Chris
2011-01-17 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3305093

User image

Evans, GA
Hi Phil,
In regards to what to wear during the swim if wetsuits aren't allowed......I think most guys wear a tri suit.  The shorts have a little padding to help on the bike run, but not so much to slow down the swim.  Even when you're wearing a wetsuit, that's what you'll want underneath.  Now, I've only been doing this for about 8 months and two sprints, so maybe we can both learn from some more responses to your questions.

Take care,
Rick
Evans, GA
2011-01-17 6:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
OK. You are all in and we are CLOSED for another year. I have the flu and haven't been here much for the last two days. Sorry about that. More soon I promise.
2011-01-18 12:22 PM

Veteran
Quail Valley
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group 2011 edition - CLOSED for 2011
Is this stuff going to transfer over or do I need to repost in our group?

Thank you everone for your responses.
2011-01-18 4:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
I am going to move this stuff over later this week sorry that has not been done but I was waylaid by a cannabilistic parasite of unknown origin. I have lost 7 pounds in 60 hours. I know what some of you are thinking but this is NOT the way to do it. If my body ever re-hydrates, most will come back. Youu may see Marianne over here some. If she says it, consider that it's better than what I would have said and go with it.

2011-01-18 5:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Swim that is not wetsuit legal? What do you do? Hhhmmmmmm....you swim without a wetsuit. Didn't mean to be an a$$ but that is what we do. You will be ready. Here is one of my first secrets.....wait for it......swimming is first about basic technique...... Then it is 1000% yes 1000% mental. Yes it is.....quit arguing with me. Go get in the pool. Practice floating on your back with a LIGHT push off for propulsion/ balance. And when you are frustrated remember it took me 20 sessions until it happened. I always thought I was a sinker. BELIEVE little guppy believe
2011-01-19 7:33 PM

Uxbridge
Hey YOU ARE ALL VERY QUIET!!!!!
Bryan is sick....I am here to help with what I can . Feel free to ask away.... This is my 5th season of tri's

Bryan is going to move this over to the "other" thread when he is better.

2011-01-19 9:02 PM

Extreme Veteran

OK....these have all been moved...everyone introduced - it is open season on the archived forum...

If you are here, please understand we are at a different location.  If you have trouble finding my main group, PM me and I will give you instructions again.

If you are checking out our group and want to join, we are closed for the year; however, if we happen to lose some folks, OR if you have a really compelling story, PM me and tell me and we will see what we can do......

Happy tri season

Bryan

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group 2011 edition - CLOSED for 2011 Rss Feed  

of 2