BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-05-07 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3440446

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Subject: RE: Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED

I exercised, so better than nothing... 

Name                    Sex Age City, State                    Time      Net       Pace     1mile       2mile     ================================================================
Steve Hebert M 49 Palm Bay FL 44:50.3 44:12.9 14:14 13:46.1 28:40.0

Middle mile was way too slow.. Calves hurt badly.

2011-05-07 12:28 PM

User image

manchester, UK

hi all, hope all is well

im just wondering how these mentor groups work?  otter, i was reading back earlier messages and would like to say well done on venturing back into the water.  I may sound abit stupid here but whats a camel back?lol

ive been useing a heart rate monitor for sometime now but only really use it to monitor my hr at that exact moment nothing more, would anyone be able to shed any light on heart rate training zones and what there benefits are?

also does anyone have any opinions on foam rollers iv tried one, it did feel good after id finished but while useing it ive never felt pain like it lol

thanks guys

2011-05-07 1:54 PM

User image

New user

haha, sorry, I should have explained it... a camel bak is like a little backpack with a hydration system in it, so you can always drink. With a tube coming out of the top of it... great alternative to carrying bottles of drink around with you, but i just don't know if people use them in triathlons or not. They are called different things in different countries!

Hey great work everyone in your training! I'm just off for a run around the lovely golf course...

2011-05-07 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3486422

User image

Sensei
Sin City
gokat - 2011-05-07 12:00 AM

I just had a great swim, really enjoyed it and it's the first time I've been in a while! Arms are gonna hurt tomorrow.

So what's your verdict on using a Camel Bak for the bike/run leg of a triathlon? Does anyone use them? I'm not sure i can cope without mine!

From my experience...  leave it at home... And I live in the desert...  They are GREAT for training, and I use them all the time in the summer, but not for racing.  I used it once for an Half Ironman, and realized I didn't need it.

In general, if it's an olympic length or shorter, you can cary enough water on the bike to last.  Even with only two bottle holders, you have one bottle an hour on the bike. 

For a half Ironman or longer, they have aid stations to reload, so you can refill every 15-20 miles.

As for the run, they have aid stations every mile.

My moto is keep it simple.  The less things to deal with and worry about, the better, IMO.

If you have special needs, a fuel belt may be a better choice, and I will also caveate, I use a camleback for XTERRA, because the rough trails tend to launch bottles and I like to keep both hands on the bars most of the time.

2011-05-07 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3486710

User image

Sensei
Sin City
mike7056 - 2011-05-07 10:28 AM

hi all, hope all is well

im just wondering how these mentor groups work?  otter, i was reading back earlier messages and would like to say well done on venturing back into the water.  I may sound abit stupid here but whats a camel back?lol

ive been useing a heart rate monitor for sometime now but only really use it to monitor my hr at that exact moment nothing more, would anyone be able to shed any light on heart rate training zones and what there benefits are?

also does anyone have any opinions on foam rollers iv tried one, it did feel good after id finished but while useing it ive never felt pain like it lol

thanks guys

Excelent question!  One of the most important aspect to training, IMO...  My personal theory is that beginners tend to work too hard on "easy" days, and not hard enough on "hard" days.  The HRM is a great tool to establish the right zones in which you should be doing your work.

The majority of the athletes on BT and Slowtwitch (ST), would subscribe to the LT (lactate threashold) method of determining your zones.  The reason is, you can do the testing at home, any time you want, and all you need is a HRM.

You first determin your LT based on a field test (one for biking, and one for running).  You plug them into a spreadsheet or the online calculator here on BT, and it spits out your zones!  Simple!  This is the training method I use...

I can quickly point you to three very good articles here on BT if you want some reading on the subject.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=53

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=54

Let me know if you have any problems with the links.

This, IMO, is a great way to train and basically, it's the only "technology" that I generaly use.  Idealy, we would all train using a power meter, which I think is the best way to train, however, most people don't have the money to drop $1000 bucks on a power meter after all the expenses of triathlon to just get going!  This just takes a $75 HRM and a couple hard workouts.

This topic deserves tons of conversation if there are questions....  So please feel free to ask.

2011-05-07 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3486952

User image

Sensei
Sin City

RE:  Foam Rollers...

LOVE it...  Just from personal experience:  I was having knee pain/soreness from the running and biking...  I felt a cause could be a tight ITB.  Looked into the foam roller after asking the same questions.

So dropped the 25 bucks on a foam roller and went to it.  Hurt like hell the first couple times, but got easier.  Knee pain completely went away after a couple weeks of use.

Now I use it "as needed".  If I feel tight or knee soreness again, I get on the roller for a couple minutes.

I searched youtube for a couple exercises to do.  The important one is the ITB stretch and I use it for my calves as well.

2011-05-07 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3486956

User image

Sensei
Sin City

RE:  Mentor group...

I had some issues with my first group because maybe I didn't lay out my expectations.  I think some thought it was "coaching".  Granted, there is some of that, but I really can't analize people's training and come up with workouts and/or plans.

Just like a "mentor" in any profession, I like to provide guidance.  Usually by being a "safe" person to bounce questions off of.  No matter how silly they may seem.  I have probably asked, been asked, or read just about every question there is about triathlon.  Unless it's HIGHLY specific, I probably have an opinion or answer OR know where to look.

I would like the group to also be a place to provide some inspiration and encouragement to each other.  (I will generate a list of links to everyone's logs, so you can keep tabs and inspire, if you feel so inclined)

I work best by answering questions, so ask a LOT!  I will review workouts, plans, training at some level, and even at more detail if requested...   But I won't TELL anyone what they should be doing, if that makes sense.

I encourage everyone to use the BT logs to track training.  It really helps with providing better answers to questions about training if there is more information to review.

2011-05-08 1:37 AM

User image

New user

Thanks for all the advice so far, it's making me less nervous.

Another random question for you:

How do you wear your number? I keep seeing things about a race belt... is this a belt with drinks holders on or is it just a belt to put your number on?

2011-05-08 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

It can be either...  Mine are without water, but i have seen some with water.

I walk/jogged after foam roller on my calves.  Actually a little faster than in race, but only 1/2 the distance.

2011-05-08 6:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH

I am having a hard time keeping my running pace consistent when I run outside. I also am unfortunate to live in Ohio. The weather has been less than ideal for training outside this spring. As a result, I have done nearly all of my training indoors, the vast majority on a treadmill. Without the consistency of the moving belt under my feet, I am having trouble gauging how fast (or more to the point, how slow) I am running. Any suggestions?

~Michelle

2011-05-09 12:46 AM
in reply to: #3488162

User image

Sensei
Sin City
arquillo - 2011-05-08 4:38 PM

I am having a hard time keeping my running pace consistent when I run outside. I also am unfortunate to live in Ohio. The weather has been less than ideal for training outside this spring. As a result, I have done nearly all of my training indoors, the vast majority on a treadmill. Without the consistency of the moving belt under my feet, I am having trouble gauging how fast (or more to the point, how slow) I am running. Any suggestions?

~Michelle

A couple questions to clarify...  How do you know your pace is not consistent?  Does it go up and down during the run or get slower over time?

Also, it's ok if it's not consistant depending on the terrain.  Since I run by HR and/or RPE, if I'm going uphill, my HR will elevate, so I have to slow down to keep it low...  Even down to 11 minute miles.  If I'm going downhill, I pick it up to keep the HR up...  Even to sub 7 minute miles.

2011-05-09 12:47 AM
in reply to: #3488570

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I will probably be MIA for a couple days.  My wife has never been camping, so it's time to take her!  All my gear has been gathering dust since I met her, so it's about time I get to break it out and introduce her...  Should be fun.  Be back on Thursday.

Have a good week of training everyone!

2011-05-09 12:52 AM
in reply to: #3487416

User image

Sensei
Sin City
gokat - 2011-05-07 11:37 PM

Thanks for all the advice so far, it's making me less nervous.

Another random question for you:

How do you wear your number? I keep seeing things about a race belt... is this a belt with drinks holders on or is it just a belt to put your number on?

I LOVE my race belt!  Honestly, one of the most convenient items you can buy for triathlon, IMO.  They are only about 5 bucks for the simple elastic ones with a buckle and a couple snaps or other method to attach your number.

They are hand because it's not good to have the number pinned to you shirt if you plan to swim in it.  The water destroys the numbers...

Typically, in most of my races, they don't need the number on you for the bike, so you just grab the belt (I keep it under my running shoes) and strap it on while running out.

If they do say it's required to have the number on during the bike... Put it on in T1, and wear it behind you.  Then simply turn it around so it's in front for the run (typically that's where they like to see it).

2011-05-10 12:00 PM

User image

manchester, UK

howdy

thanks for the articles very helpful, i do think ive been training at to high of a heart rate will have to look into this.  what sort of beats do you train at? would you say your resting heart rate is a reasonable way of telling your fitness?

now to the drama iv had.  iv had a few open water swimming sessions so far this year! very cold! my wetsuit is about a minimum of 2 years old, while putting it on last night i have found a small opening on the arm.  it seems to be coming apart at the seem near the wrist, does anyone know of a way of repairing this. i was hopeing to use this wetsuit for at least one more year.

thanks all

2011-05-10 12:49 PM

User image

New user

Hey Mike,

just read your message and saw you had a problem with your wetsuit. I just got a new wetsuit (tested it last night in fact, it's great!). When I was in the shop, the owner of the store was actually repairing some of their rental wetsuits with a special type of wetsuit glue. After he'd finished you couldn't even see that there had been a rip. Now I'm not sure how well this glue would work on seams, but I definitely think it would be worth you enquiring in a specialized triathlon/wetsuit shop and seeing what types of glue they have/use for repairs? I know our mentor is away for a few days so I thought it might be an idea for you

Now... I have a dilemma too. I have an ear infection Bit dizzy today and if I'd known yesterday I wouldn't have done a lake swim last night, but getting some antibiotics today. Anyway... so I can't swim for a little while (and will be wearing ear plugs while swimming from now on). But I have my first tri in less than 3 weeks... I'm wondering if anyone knows of any 'swimming like' exercises I could do without actually getting in the water?!

Thanks,

Kat

2011-05-10 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3491764

User image

manchester, UK

hi,

i will defernatly head down to a store and get them to take a look at it! was that your first open water swim? theres nothing better i find.  ive never had an infection but i really cant stand water in my ears so i use one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedo-Aquabeat-1GB-Waterproof-Player/dp/B0017KRAFK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1305050174&sr=8-4

it was worth every penny, iv had mine coming up to 2 years now with no issues.

im no expert but i would try getting hold of some dumbells (v.light) and simply raising out to the front and then to the sides. do as many as possiable. rest then go at it again. of cause core work is invaluable.  if u have use of a pull down machine. stand infront of the machine, straight bar on the pulley, and keep arms straight and pull down to mimic the pull section of the swim stroke.  these are all the ones i do.  but i hope the ear heals fast

2011-05-10 5:09 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

Back from vacation in sunny Florida.  In laws moved there last year and went out to see the shuttle launch, but that didn't work out.  Oh well, better than work and nice to see some good weather.  Got in 2 training runs but that was it, and gained 2.6lbs.  Time to work it off.  Been a really raw spring, windy and cold, not too many outside days.

Looks like a good group, happy training!

2011-05-10 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3491764

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
gokat - 2011-05-10 1:49 PM

Now... I have a dilemma too. I have an ear infection Bit dizzy today and if I'd known yesterday I wouldn't have done a lake swim last night, but getting some antibiotics today. Anyway... so I can't swim for a little while (and will be wearing ear plugs while swimming from now on). But I have my first tri in less than 3 weeks... I'm wondering if anyone knows of any 'swimming like' exercises I could do without actually getting in the water?!

Thanks,

Kat

At core and more work out they just had us do regular strokes with light weight while balanced on the ball on your stomach.  Might try it.

2011-05-10 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3492317

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
chsdaddy - 2011-05-10 6:09 PM

Back from vacation in sunny Florida.  In laws moved there last year and went out to see the shuttle launch, but that didn't work out.  Oh well, better than work and nice to see some good weather.  Got in 2 training runs but that was it, and gained 2.6lbs.  Time to work it off.  Been a really raw spring, windy and cold, not too many outside days.

Looks like a good group, happy training!

You were in my neck of the woods...  Live just south of the launch site.  There was actually some "fun Runs" with OWS and bridge workouts you could have tried, if you had known about them.

Next time you are in the area, let me know.

2011-05-11 12:37 PM

User image

San Jose

Hello all!

Downloaded a 12 week beginner sprint program yesterday and also got in a short work out on my MTB.  Today is a short run and swim.  Hope you all are doing well in your training.

Wondering if anyone is using "barefoot" running shoes; I have a pair from New Balance that I use as everyday shoes.  I prefer to trail run and prefer a bit of ankle support but am pondering trying out this pair.   Any experience/feedback?

2011-05-11 7:13 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

Did a OWS tonight...part of a brick...  Except for being real slow I probably could have stayed in my Tri at the end of the month, but I am glad I do not have that pressure.

Shoulder felt good on jog, need to ice it soon.

Hope everyone else is doing good also.

2011-05-11 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3493753

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH

I recently converted from running in the Nike Free 3.0 to the Merrill Trail Glove. The transition from traditional running shoes has made a WORLD of difference for me - I love, love, love them! My knees used to ache so bad after I ran that I could hardly walk up/down a flight of stairs without completely supporting myself on the handrail. I now have NO pain in my knees, despite the fact that I am running more miles than I have ever done in my life. I highly recommend the minimalist shoe. I personally didn't care for the New Balance minimalist shoes, but they were rated really high in the online reviews I read. 

I will add only one other thing - when they say transition into them slowly, they are not joking. 

~Michelle

2011-05-11 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3494600

User image

San Jose

Michelle,

Thanks for the feedback; I can wear the shoes all day with no problem (and positive changes in my knees noted as well.)  I'll start doing very short, slow jogs this week likely.  My SO loves the Merril Trail Glove and I might pick up a pair at REI soon.

Again, thanks for your input!

2011-05-11 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3494600

User image

San Jose

Michelle,

Thanks for the feedback; I can wear the shoes all day with no problem (and positive changes in my knees noted as well.)  I'll start doing very short, slow jogs this week likely.  My SO loves the Merril Trail Glove and I might pick up a pair at REI soon.

Again, thanks for your input!

2011-05-12 1:54 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

My wife is trying the minimalist shoes and likes them as well.  I don't know if they would work for me, I have a really messed up right foot.

Swam yesterday, it was the first time in the pool in 2 weeks. I felt like I was struggling more than usual.  I wish there was a trick.  I have 2 tri's under my belt and breast stroked both.  I'm doing this swim training

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1945

to try and learn the crawl.  My wife says stick with it and one day it will click, at least it did for her.

Great bike ride today though, finally sunny and no wind!                                                                                                                                                

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12