BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2011-12-19 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3945001

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (third season) - OPEN
Samyg - 2011-12-19 7:56 PM

Ernesto:

I use the Gramin 305, but only log totals on BT. Is there a way for you to see my detailed logs? Copy or export from Garmin's training center? I know there is a function on the BT logs, but I think you need to be premium member to utilize it.

Samy

Samy,

If you hit the logs button under this post, you will seem my logs. Under the comment section I paste a link to my garmin connect page for that workout. Hit one and you will see. If you have a garmin, connect.garmin.com is a great website. One option is to make your workouts public. If you do this and paste the links like I've done, then Ernesto and the rest of us can see more detail about your workout.

Chris

2011-12-20 12:24 AM
in reply to: #3942748

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

So, I don't post for a couple of weeks and you all run off and leave me?? 

Welcome to all the new members.  This mentoring group rocks!  Get your copy of Maffetone, the Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing now so you can read it before the New Year when you ramp up your training.

NAME: username: jdiis/ first name: Jackie

STORY: This is my 2nd year of triathlon training, now in beautiful, hilly Austin TX.  I think I'm the oldest one on this forum, and I'm making up for lost time.  I turned 59 in October, woohoo, new age group in 2012.  People still keep accusing me of being mid to late 40s.  I'll take it!

FAMILY STATUS: Single with two grown daughters and an awesome son-in-law who are my biggest cheerleaders besides this group.  Currently dating a triathlete who has been competing for several years.  It's nice to have someone to go to the pool with even if you do your own separate workout.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Well, after our little November challenge, I allowed myself the month of December to be bad.  That means working out less, eating whatever I want, drinking whatever I want, etc.  I have read three books on triathlon training and I've done several hikes!  I have been working a lot of hours, that should settle down in a couple of weeks.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I'll be doing my first half mary in Jan.  I'll also be doing a half iron, picking that race out right now.  Along the way, I'll be doing a sprint or two and an Olympic.  My long term goal is an IM before I turn 61.

2011 RACES: A 5K, a 5-miler, 3 sprints, and an Olympic.  Had a couple of podium finishes and set some PRs.

WEIGHTLOSS: Oh, please.  110 pounds dripping wet.  This month I'm 112.

WHY I'M A GOOD MENTEE: Because I listen to what more experienced people say and then I just go out and do it.

2011-12-20 12:26 AM
in reply to: #3944575

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Mitch,

I use Garmin connect also.  I've been very pleased with it.

2011-12-20 3:46 AM

User image

Deutschland

Hi Ernesto,

If you've still got room, I'd like to join.

My name is Shelby.  I'm married and have two kids (4 and 2), and am living in Erlangen, Germany on a two-year expatriate work assignment.

Background:  Started sprint tris in 2007 and did 3-5 per year through 2010.  I additionally did a HIM in 2008 and an OLY in 2010.  No tris in 2011; I moved my family to Germany right in the middle of the season, and it just wasn't possible.  I did run my first marathon in Munich in October.  I was not able to stick with my training plan and ended with a 4:01, which was 30 minutes off my original goal.

I swam competitively from the age of 6 until 19, and swimming is my strongest discipline.

Races for 2012:  There's an OLY distance tri in Erlangen in August that I'd like to race.  I'd like to run a couple of Half Marys and try to hit my 3:30 in a marathon this fall.  Throughout the spring/summer, theres a series of 10 running races locally, all 10-15k, and I'd like to compete in the series (have to run at least 5 of the races).

Goals for 2012:  RUN FOCUS.  I really, really want to hit a 3:30 marathon.  I'm also planning on starting Jorge's winter cycle program in January to try to make some cycling gains, but run will be the primary focus.

I'm looking forward to participating in this mentoring group and learning from whatever advice you can give me.

2011-12-20 6:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Hi Ernesto, Welcome all!

I'm interested in joining this group for the third go round!

NAME: baurryman/Barry

STORY: 
 I'm 50 years old and last year was my first year doing triathlon. Ernesto and the group got me through it with flying colors! I'd like to do several this year and am coming from a running background. I started running almost 6 years ago and have done 4 (very slow) marathons. I did my first tri (a sprint) in June of 2011, and my first Olympic distance, the Chicago Triathlon in August of 2011. Both were slow as is my running but I had a blast. I am a chemist and director of research for a hair and skin care manufacturer and sometimes struggle to find time to train adequately.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Single (previously married). Two adult children, and 8 & 4 year old grandsons.

CURRENT TRAINING: I started swimming almost a year ago to date  and it's definitely my weakest discipline. My goal is to get some coaching his year and get much better with the swimming. I run on average 3-4 times a week (15-20 miles total) and have yet to sign up for a spin class. I do have an old road bike. (Time for a new one!)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I haven't fully determined my race schedule for 2012. I'm definitely signing up for the Chicago Tri again as soon as registration opens. The race season is a little shorter here in Chicago.

WEIGHTLOSS:
 Weightloss has always been a challenge for me but I am determined. I would like to lose 20 - 25 pounds this year. (Gee, same thing I said last year!)

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE? I follow coaching enthusiastically and am not afraid to share victories and failures with others. I learn from all experiences.

Edited by baurryman 2011-12-20 6:32 AM
2011-12-20 6:17 AM
in reply to: #3945337

User image

Master
Dallas
Fireball Small - 2011-12-20 3:46 AM

Hi Ernesto,

My name is Shelby.  I'm married and have two kids (4 and 2), and am living in Erlangen, Germany on a two-year expatriate work assignment.

Background:  Started sprint tris in 2007 and did 3-5 per year through 2010.  I additionally did a HIM in 2008 and an OLY in 2010.  No tris in 2011; I moved my family to Germany right in the middle of the season, and it just wasn't possible.  I did run my first marathon in Munich in October.  I was not able to stick with my training plan and ended with a 4:01, which was 30 minutes off my original goal.

I swam competitively from the age of 6 until 19, and swimming is my strongest discipline.

Races for 2012:  There's an OLY distance tri in Erlangen in August that I'd like to race.  I'd like to run a couple of Half Marys and try to hit my 3:30 in a marathon this fall.  Throughout the spring/summer, theres a series of 10 running races locally, all 10-15k, and I'd like to compete in the series (have to run at least 5 of the races).

Goals for 2012:  RUN FOCUS.  I really, really want to hit a 3:30 marathon.  I'm also planning on starting Jorge's winter cycle program in January to try to make some cycling gains, but run will be the primary focus.

I'm looking forward to participating in this mentoring group and learning from whatever advice you can give me.

Welcome to the gang! later on today I'll start writing individual responses to everybody. Competitive swimmer? that is great, maybe you can help the rest of us here too, you'll be the first one in the group. As far as I know I'm the fastest (turtle) at 1:30/100yds, so your insights are valuable. We'll talk some more... Missing your goal for 30 minutes is a bit much, did you hit the wall too hard, started too fast? missed your long runs perhaps? I know you want to make run your focus, but the best runners cannot run off the bike if they are exhausted so a lot of discussion material there...

2011-12-20 6:18 AM
in reply to: #3945312

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-12-20 12:24 AM

So, I don't post for a couple of weeks and you all run off and leave me?? 

Welcome to all the new members.  This mentoring group rocks!  Get your copy of Maffetone, the Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing now so you can read it before the New Year when you ramp up your training.

NAME: username: jdiis/ first name: Jackie

STORY: This is my 2nd year of triathlon training, now in beautiful, hilly Austin TX.  I think I'm the oldest one on this forum, and I'm making up for lost time.  I turned 59 in October, woohoo, new age group in 2012.  People still keep accusing me of being mid to late 40s.  I'll take it!

FAMILY STATUS: Single with two grown daughters and an awesome son-in-law who are my biggest cheerleaders besides this group.  Currently dating a triathlete who has been competing for several years.  It's nice to have someone to go to the pool with even if you do your own separate workout.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Well, after our little November challenge, I allowed myself the month of December to be bad.  That means working out less, eating whatever I want, drinking whatever I want, etc.  I have read three books on triathlon training and I've done several hikes!  I have been working a lot of hours, that should settle down in a couple of weeks.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I'll be doing my first half mary in Jan.  I'll also be doing a half iron, picking that race out right now.  Along the way, I'll be doing a sprint or two and an Olympic.  My long term goal is an IM before I turn 61.

2011 RACES: A 5K, a 5-miler, 3 sprints, and an Olympic.  Had a couple of podium finishes and set some PRs.

WEIGHTLOSS: Oh, please.  110 pounds dripping wet.  This month I'm 112.

WHY I'M A GOOD MENTEE: Because I listen to what more experienced people say and then I just go out and do it.

About time you showed up, slacker!
2011-12-20 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3944431

User image

Master
Dallas
dmbfan4life20 - 2011-12-19 1:56 PM

Hello everyone, my name is Matt/username: Dmbfan4life20 and I am 27 years old.

My story is that I live in the Baltimore area and am in my first real year of triathlons and training. I am a very busy person who works in the Law Enforcement field so I have a wierd work schedule but it is getting better. I completed my first sprint distance race in Sept/2010 and finished in in 2:05:00. After that first race, I got hooked on the sport and met up with a local tri club and have trained with th?em since Jan, 2011. Since my initial race, I have done 8 races in 2011 including my first 10k and first half marathon and have seen improvement in most aspects of the sport. I had played sports in high school but nothing in college.

Family Status- ?I have been dating my girlfriend for the past 3 years and she is very supportive of my triathlon aspirations and lifestyle change. She is actually the one who got me into the sport (on a dare, but its a long story for another time) and we often train together when we can. I have no kids and no pets.

Current Training- I try the best I can with my work schedule but I feel that my problem is consistency. I am the type of person who, If I have a plan, can easily stick to it because I know what I need to do everyday to reach my goal but if I dont have a specific training plan, I tend to get kinda lost with my workouts. Being that its the winter, I am trying to maintain by s/b/r as much as I can and also incorporate some strength training. I would like to purchase a trainer so I can get more saddle time in over the winter.

This years races- This year I did a handful of 5k's (set a 4:00min PR), a 10k, 3 sprint tri's and my first Half Marathon

2012 races/goals- Next year my goals are pretty simple. I will be doing 4 races (Half Marathon in May, Sprint Tri in June, first OLY distance tri in September and another Half Marathon in Oct). I would like to PR my HM in May, PR my sprint time but more importantly, improve my bike to roughly 17mph or more and cut down my 5k time, just finish my first OLY and then PR the run again in October.

Weightloss- When I started training last year, I weighed in at 262lbs. I am currently down to 230lbs and looking to get to a goal weight of 200-210lbs (hopefully by June).

What will make me a good Mentee- Like anything else, when you are new to something, it benefits you to listen to someone more experienced then you. I feel that I have the desire and passion for this sport and lifestyle to be a good mentee and follow directions. I am easy going and I like the idea of this mentor group and communicating with other people who are in similar situations as me and I think we will all benefit from each others support. I hope that I can be a part of this mentor group and that we can work together to attain our goals. If you want to know anything else, let me know.

Matt, if you don't mind make your logs public. It gives me more material to provide feedback (unless you really want to keep it private).  Also, the best way that I have found to keep the consistency is to actually sign up for a race, the goal sets the methods but without the goal it is hard to keep focused. Usually I set a goal that is attainable but challenging at the same time.

After you set your goals you create a training plan that fits your work schedule/lifestyle and that will hold itself accountable. Trust me, when you miss a workout you will fell a bit guilty so you won't do it again.

2011-12-20 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3944510

User image

Master
Dallas
Samyg - 2011-12-19 2:33 PM

Can I join you guys?

My name is Samy. I am a 43 yrs. old, originally from Venezuela, and now living in South Florida. I am married to a Jersey Girl (a beautiful, funny, classy one) and have two wonderful sons, a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old. I think just spending and afternoon with them should qualify as training.

This will be my first year doing tris. Have been training since late October, and plan to do my first Sprint in February 2012 (Club Med, Port St. Lucie, FL). For 2012, I am planning to do 6-8 races (all in South Florida), transitioning to Olympic distance sometimes during the second half of 2012, depending on how training goes. At the end of the year would like to start training for my first HM, in January 2013 (either Disney or Miami).

Been into sports and outdoor activities all my life (baseball, tennis, soccer, snow skiing, scuba diving), but never structured training. After reaching 208 lbs. a few months back (I am 6'3"), I decided enough was enough, and committed myself to do a triathlon in 2012. After a couple of months of 6/week at 5:30 am sessions (only time I can train with family/job requirements), I am down to 198 lbs., feeling great, and best of all, falling in love with triathlon training and culture. I can only imagine how that will improve after actually racing. In the mean time, hoping to stay within 190-195 lbs once I get there.

As a side note, I actually went to school (and actually was a housemate) of Gabriel, so it will be nice to share with you guys all the dirty laundry of his...and there is a lot!

Thanks,

Samy

Welcome Samy, I wanna hear everything you've got on Gabe, he's a good friend and I'll be cheering him soon in Ironman Texas '12. That part of the country where you reside is a great training place, you will almost never miss workouts due to weather (unless you have a hurricane, hehe). Also, the races in Florida are awesome, flat and fast. I'm doing Ironman Florida 2012 during November. Your goals are well within reach!
2011-12-20 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3945463

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
ernestov - 2011-12-20 8:22 AM
dmbfan4life20 - 2011-12-19 1:56 PM

Hello everyone, my name is Matt/username: Dmbfan4life20 and I am 27 years old.

My story is that I live in the Baltimore area and am in my first real year of triathlons and training. I am a very busy person who works in the Law Enforcement field so I have a wierd work schedule but it is getting better. I completed my first sprint distance race in Sept/2010 and finished in in 2:05:00. After that first race, I got hooked on the sport and met up with a local tri club and have trained with th?em since Jan, 2011. Since my initial race, I have done 8 races in 2011 including my first 10k and first half marathon and have seen improvement in most aspects of the sport. I had played sports in high school but nothing in college.

Family Status- ?I have been dating my girlfriend for the past 3 years and she is very supportive of my triathlon aspirations and lifestyle change. She is actually the one who got me into the sport (on a dare, but its a long story for another time) and we often train together when we can. I have no kids and no pets.

Current Training- I try the best I can with my work schedule but I feel that my problem is consistency. I am the type of person who, If I have a plan, can easily stick to it because I know what I need to do everyday to reach my goal but if I dont have a specific training plan, I tend to get kinda lost with my workouts. Being that its the winter, I am trying to maintain by s/b/r as much as I can and also incorporate some strength training. I would like to purchase a trainer so I can get more saddle time in over the winter.

This years races- This year I did a handful of 5k's (set a 4:00min PR), a 10k, 3 sprint tri's and my first Half Marathon

2012 races/goals- Next year my goals are pretty simple. I will be doing 4 races (Half Marathon in May, Sprint Tri in June, first OLY distance tri in September and another Half Marathon in Oct). I would like to PR my HM in May, PR my sprint time but more importantly, improve my bike to roughly 17mph or more and cut down my 5k time, just finish my first OLY and then PR the run again in October.

Weightloss- When I started training last year, I weighed in at 262lbs. I am currently down to 230lbs and looking to get to a goal weight of 200-210lbs (hopefully by June).

What will make me a good Mentee- Like anything else, when you are new to something, it benefits you to listen to someone more experienced then you. I feel that I have the desire and passion for this sport and lifestyle to be a good mentee and follow directions. I am easy going and I like the idea of this mentor group and communicating with other people who are in similar situations as me and I think we will all benefit from each others support. I hope that I can be a part of this mentor group and that we can work together to attain our goals. If you want to know anything else, let me know.

Matt, if you don't mind make your logs public. It gives me more material to provide feedback (unless you really want to keep it private).  Also, the best way that I have found to keep the consistency is to actually sign up for a race, the goal sets the methods but without the goal it is hard to keep focused. Usually I set a goal that is attainable but challenging at the same time.

After you set your goals you create a training plan that fits your work schedule/lifestyle and that will hold itself accountable. Trust me, when you miss a workout you will fell a bit guilty so you won't do it again.

OK, they should be public now, let me know if you still cant access them. I am looking forward to working with you all.

2011-12-20 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3945233

User image

Master

chris2533 - 2011-12-19 10:13 PM
harmonjh - 2011-12-19 7:07 PM Chris, is this comparable to the zone 2 type training? I try to utilize this on the stationary bike at my gym. I use the HR function on it and try to keep my HR around 140 while using the "speak in full sentences pace". Do you think this is to easy? I ask because some of your earlier HRs were closer to 152 and per your formula, I should train near 182-29= 153. Thanks, John
John, It may be comparable to zone training. I don't know. I don't know anything about heart rate zones. (My wife knows all about them and gets frustrated with me because I refuse to learn about them.) The 182-age business is from Phil Maffetone's "The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing." Ernesto is very big on the book and gently pushed it on all the members of this group last year. Very great advice (both what is in the book and Ernesto recommending it) and I was too slow to take it up. I would recommend getting the book. I downloaded the kindle version. The 182-age business is not so straightforward. You add or subtract to it based on other stuff. But the basic idea that most people run their slow miles too fast and their fast miles too slow seems exactly right in my experience. Chris

John:

You can't cross directly from HR Zone based training to Maffetone.  Maffetone is much more straighforward and allows you to quickly ascertain a target HR that will allow you to improve your aerobic endurance over time.  HR Zone training requires you to complete a Lactate Threshold test in order to set up your zones (How did you estblish your HR zones?).  HRs vary incredibly from day to day for any number of reasons (diet, rest, health, weather).  I believe this is one of the attractive benefits of Maffetone training - especially for folks just beginning their journey (not to say incredible pros such as Mark Allen don't use and benefit from Maffetone's philosophy).  I have read that Maffetone's HR target corresponds to somewhere in zone 2 - but I have never found a direct answer and I doubt it exists.  I think your view of an intensity where you can carry on a conversation is correct.  You have to do some research and decide what works for you.  As Chris said - "But the basic idea that most people run their slow miles too fast and their fast miles too slow seems exactly right in my experience".

Mitch

Edited by dangremond 2011-12-20 9:27 AM

2011-12-20 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3945337

User image

Master
Fireball Small - 2011-12-20 3:46 AM

Hi Ernesto,

Shelby - I'm in my second go around with Jorge's Cycling Plan - glad that someone else will be sharing the pain with me.  I'm also trying to do that along with a run focus - it is not easy to do.  Perhaps we can be a sounding board for one another?

-Mitch

2011-12-20 9:24 AM

User image

Master

I'm pretty pumped this morning.  I completed the 1st cycling test of two this week for the cycling training plan.  I did the same plan last winter so I have good data to plot my progress against.  I didn't cycle much after completing the program last winter so I was very curious how much cycling fitness I had lost.

Today's test was a 20' WU followed by a 20' all out effort.  Saturday I will do a similar warm-up followed by a 5' all out effort.  The results of the two tests are combined in a calculation to determine your Critical Power (CP).  Through the course of the training plan you complete the testing week 4 times.

The results from last winter's 20' all out efforts were as follows:

Jan 18.3mph / HR 175

Feb 18.9 / 183

Mar 19.2 / 178

Apr 19.5 / 171

Today's results were Avg Spd 19 mph and Avg HR 172.

I ran harder than I should have on Sunday (I have to refocus on slowing my run down) and my legs were still a bit fatigued this morning so I was really happy with the test.  I paced well averaging 18.84 mph the first 10 minutes and 19.2 the second 10 minutes.  Last year when I would do these tests I invariably had a slower pace the second half of the test.  also, based on my HR I do believe that if my legs were fresher I could have done a bit better.  I'm looking forward to the hard work and seeing how much faster I can get on the bike!

2011-12-20 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3945476

User image

Expert
Guatemala
ernestov - 2011-12-20 6:29 AM
Samyg - 2011-12-19 2:33 PM

Can I join you guys?

My name is Samy. I am a 43 yrs. old, originally from Venezuela, and now living in South Florida. I am married to a Jersey Girl (a beautiful, funny, classy one) and have two wonderful sons, a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old. I think just spending and afternoon with them should qualify as training.

This will be my first year doing tris. Have been training since late October, and plan to do my first Sprint in February 2012 (Club Med, Port St. Lucie, FL). For 2012, I am planning to do 6-8 races (all in South Florida), transitioning to Olympic distance sometimes during the second half of 2012, depending on how training goes. At the end of the year would like to start training for my first HM, in January 2013 (either Disney or Miami).

Been into sports and outdoor activities all my life (baseball, tennis, soccer, snow skiing, scuba diving), but never structured training. After reaching 208 lbs. a few months back (I am 6'3"), I decided enough was enough, and committed myself to do a triathlon in 2012. After a couple of months of 6/week at 5:30 am sessions (only time I can train with family/job requirements), I am down to 198 lbs., feeling great, and best of all, falling in love with triathlon training and culture. I can only imagine how that will improve after actually racing. In the mean time, hoping to stay within 190-195 lbs once I get there.

As a side note, I actually went to school (and actually was a housemate) of Gabriel, so it will be nice to share with you guys all the dirty laundry of his...and there is a lot!

Thanks,

Samy

Welcome Samy, I wanna hear everything you've got on Gabe, he's a good friend and I'll be cheering him soon in Ironman Texas '12. That part of the country where you reside is a great training place, you will almost never miss workouts due to weather (unless you have a hurricane, hehe). Also, the races in Florida are awesome, flat and fast. I'm doing Ironman Florida 2012 during November. Your goals are well within reach!

Samy,

Its great to see you here on Ernesto's BT group and that you decided to jump on the tri-bandwagon!  I started the same way you are doing it, with my first Sprint distance tri in March of this year and be warned, because you do get hooked!  

You will find here that both, Ernesto is a great, dedicated coach with spot-on recommendations and insights, and that the members of this group totally rock by being very supportive, fun and collaborative in terms of sharing their personal experiences and achievements!

For those that don't know, we were housemates with Samy while doing our undergrad at Lehigh University and we used to throw some of the best parties in the East Coast (the good old days!)

Welcome to all the new members and great to see most of the old gang back!

Gabriel

2011-12-20 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'd like to join!  I just wanted to throw my name in here before this group closes.  I will post a bio.
2011-12-20 11:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Name: Cason/ username: GAUG3

Story & Family: I'm a 34 year old husband to a loving wife who loves to run and understands how important an active lifestyle is.  I'm a father to 9yo daughter AND 6yo triplets (1 daughter, 2 sons).  I work full time as a sys engineer for the USAF.  Thanks to my parents, I have high cholesterol and I have to take Crestor for it. I eat right and excerise.  However, there is no getting away from this med. The problem is I CRAMP way too much.  My legs are constantly tight. I'm working with my doctor on this in hopes to find a solution.

Training: This will be my second year of triathlons. I've ran several half marathons and I'm currently training for the New Orleans full (March 2012).  I'm signed up for Augusta 70.3 (Sept 2012).  Swimming is my strongest, then cycling, then running.

Right now I am HR base training.  I did a LTH test and I will not let my HR get above 151.  6 weeks ago I started off with a blistering 13:30 pace.  Now...it's about a 12:00.

WeightLoss:  I'm 5'11" and currently hover around 185. I plan to drop 20 or so pounds before racing season kicks in.

Why do I need a group?  I've lost me competiveness and speed along the way somewhere.  Partly because my legs cramp and it kills my mojo.  I won't quit a race; however, I'm not very pleasant to be around if I miss a goal and cramping is the reason.

I'm looking forward to what this group has to offer.  I log my workouts on dailymile.com (forum spammer) (forum spammer) (forum spammer).  So, I guess I need to figure out how to log it here.

Edited by GAUG3 2011-12-20 12:00 PM

2011-12-20 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3944715

User image

Master
Dallas
flo mo - 2011-12-19 4:27 PM ????

Hello Ernesto, Can I please join your training group? 

NAME: username: flo mo / first name: Todd

STORY: I used to be really active in High School and College but not so much anymore.  In HS I was on the Swimming and Track teams.  I received a scholarship to run track during college, but did not really run.   (I pole vaulted).  My SR year I tore my Achilles and had to have surgery to repair it.  Rehab took 6 month just to get back to walking.  After college work and life got in the way of working out and I gained about 40 pounds in 6 years.  I started working out again and have lost about 10-15 pounds in the last 6 months.  I want to do a tri to get the competitive juices flowing again and also provides tractable results.  I live in North Texas, 30 years old. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 3 years together for 6.  We have a baby boy who is almost 11 months old.  Wife is supported of me getting back into shape.  I think she will train with me but probably just running.    

CURRENT TRAINING: Training currently is light and not contestant.  The idea of training for a tri will make me keep workouts a priority.    

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I am going to compete in a “My first tri” on April 15th.  I am also going to do a race in June and Aug. 

2011 RACES: No Races   

WEIGHTLOSS: Was at 225 about 6 months ago.  It was a wakeup call.  Ideal weight is 185, but will be happy with anything under 190.  I am currently around 210-215. 

I live in North Texas too, Big D. I saw that you are doing King Tut, I did that race in 2009. About getting ready for that race I can help you setup some workouts and routines. Have you already signed up for it?
2011-12-20 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3944759

User image

Master
Dallas
Matthews - 2011-12-19 4:59 PM

Hi Ernesto, Can i also join your group.

A little bit about me:

Story: Iam 35 yrs old and have been running on and off for a long time. I have always done it to try and loose weight. I weigh about 94kg and 187cm tall. This year I thought I would try an different challenge as i was getting sick of just running and not loosing any weight.

Family status: I'm married with 4 children.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been training on average 6 times a week. I swim two times in early in the morning and then ride or run after work 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2012 I have 3 races that i want to do. The 1st is a sprint race early in January, the second is longer at the end of March and the last one is a 70.3 in Busselton. As i was unsure of my swimming at the time i have done this one as a team and my brother is doing the swim.

You'll be the second Australian in this group, Mark lives in the Gold Coast but he happens to be in Colombia right now doing some business with some coffeemakers (just kidding!). Shoot your questions at will, me or the other members of the group will chime in. Isn't Busselton sold out? did you sign up already?
2011-12-20 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3946087

User image

Master
Dallas
GAUG3 - 2011-12-20 11:56 AM Name: Cason/ username: GAUG3

Story & Family: I'm a 34 year old husband to a loving wife who loves to run and understands how important an active lifestyle is.  I'm a father to 9yo daughter AND 6yo triplets (1 daughter, 2 sons).  I work full time as a sys engineer for the USAF.  Thanks to my parents, I have high cholesterol and I have to take Crestor for it. I eat right and excerise.  However, there is no getting away from this med. The problem is I CRAMP way too much.  My legs are constantly tight. I'm working with my doctor on this in hopes to find a solution.

Training: This will be my second year of triathlons. I've ran several half marathons and I'm currently training for the New Orleans full (March 2012).  I'm signed up for Augusta 70.3 (Sept 2012).  Swimming is my strongest, then cycling, then running.

Right now I am HR base training.  I did a LTH test and I will not let my HR get above 151.  6 weeks ago I started off with a blistering 13:30 pace.  Now...it's about a 12:00.

WeightLoss:  I'm 5'11" and currently hover around 185. I plan to drop 20 or so pounds before racing season kicks in.

Why do I need a group?  I've lost me competiveness and speed along the way somewhere.  Partly because my legs cramp and it kills my mojo.  I won't quit a race; however, I'm not very pleasant to be around if I miss a goal and cramping is the reason.

I'm looking forward to what this group has to offer.  I log my workouts on dailymile.com (forum spammer) (forum spammer) (forum spammer) (forum spammer).  So, I guess I need to figure out how to log it here.

Hi Cason, and welcome to the group. Second member in the USAF that joins the group, Scott Putnam is also active. I think you should read the book "Big book of endurance training and racing" by Phil Maffettone, it has an entire chapter dedicated to cramping during races, hydration, hyponatremia and hypernatremia. The book is the best piece of literature (sports related) that I have ever had access to. This guy bases performance on not only the HR training, but nutrition, rest and stress as well. The book even addresses things like race strategy, logistics and many other things.

Everybody that has been a part of this thread years past has read the book and will swear by it, some after being really skeptical (training slow to get fast and all those theories).

2011-12-20 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Got a new bike!

I just got back from my LBS, with a brand new Jamis Ventura Race. The days of training in my full suspension, fat-tired, semi-fitting MTB bike are over.

I will try to take it for a spin tomorrow morning, first time in 20+ yrs that I will be in a road bike, so expect HUGE speed improvement over my MTB (last time, the shifters were in the down tube).

And before you ask, yes I got fitted Smile. Actually the LBS that I got it at doesn't sell you a bike unless you get fitted (Serotta+Retul system), and just spend an additional hour today at the LBS working on the bike to ensure a good fit.

2011-12-20 3:08 PM

User image

South Jersey
Ernesto and gang - 

JulDee, real name Joyce.  Age: 37  Location: South Jersey

Personal: 
Married my high school sweetheart 17 years ago.  We have two beautiful daughters (13 & 11) that I homeschool. 

My Story:
Began jogging to lose baby weight 6 years ago, always struggle in the winter, slow down or completely stop running.  This year, 2011 was my first tri. season. I attempted the mentoring group last spring before my first tri.  A busy summer added with my new love for training took over and I quickly lost touch. Recognizing my need for direction and the voice of experience, I once again sought out this mentoring group.    

Races:
Last season I managed to successfully complete my first sprint (June) and HIM (Sept).  I'm afraid the HIM was too much, too soon and am suffering some knee issues since. I've been floundering with my workouts and training since.

Current Training:
Winter consistency is not as bad as previous years.  I "exercise" 5-6 days a week, however, I recognize the need to "train". Don't want to waste these winter months and regret it come spring. Trying to maintain S/B/R, need direction and a routine that will most benefit my goals. Most training involves - taking classes at the gym, stepmill, spin 1-2x week, began running "Maff" style 2 wks ago, some strength training, and struggling with my love/hate relationship with the swim (in pool about 1x wk.)

2012 goals:
My main goal is to put my health first, recover my knees, race smart and be as strong as I can for next season. If my training and body allows, I plan to do another Sprint, HM and HIM. (fingers crossed)

Weightloss:
Have a tendency to put on weight if I'm not careful. Love, love, love good food! I generally choose my calories and enjoy healthier options.  I enjoy mostly vegetarian meals but have a serious carb addiction.  At 5'5" / 132lbs., I have an easy 7 lbs. to lose...that's an immediate goal! 

Why I would make a good mentee (this time):
I've made enough training mistakes and am ready to listen.  I am inspired by others victories. I enjoy the comradery and communication.  I've read enough of Ernesto's previous group post and trust the advice.  I'm intrigued by the "Maffetone training", looking forward to implementing the discipline to run mostly slow, and occasionally hard.  

I'd be grateful for the chance to actively participate in the group.

My immediate questions are about turning my "exercising" into effective training.  I have the "Big Book" and am several chapters in.  I just ordered the 305 this week and will begin to log my workouts. I currently can run about 5 miles while wearing knee support.  11:15 pace to keep HR in 142-147 range. 

Many Thanks! 

Joyce

2011-12-20 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3946117

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Ernesto, Yes i am a long way from all of you but we have the best beaches in the world to swim in and the best weather. Cool

The Busselton 70.3 is sold out for but i booked the day they opened. There is still a few team spots going i think.

2011-12-20 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3946117

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

You'll be the second Australian in this group, Mark lives in the Gold Coast but he happens to be in Colombia right now doing some business with some coffeemakers (just kidding!). Shoot your questions at will, me or the other members of the group will chime in. Isn't Busselton sold out? did you sign up already?

Ernesto, there's always some truth in the joke. When we came here first few years ago we went to the coffee plantation of my wife's friend and I got a chance to see how they pick the beans, sort them and roast them. It was all organic and done by hand! Really. A picture speaks a thousand words:

The coffee was produced for Juan Valdez company - I don't know if they have frenchises in US, but it was the best one I ever had.

2011-12-20 6:32 PM

User image

Veteran
clayton

Hi Ernesto - having read your bio and read posts from other returning mentees I would like to join your group.

Name: Username Markhodges1973; first name Mark (no surprise there!)

STORY: this will be my first year in Triathlon's as a participant!! I have signed up to a 16 week program which has an 'indoor' Tri at week 8 in my gym followed by a sprint after week 16. Prior to this I spent the last year 'learning' to run as prior to that I thought running around after my two girls kept me healthy :-) The big wakeup call was when I watched a friend participate in 70.3 Oceanside last year - seeing the multitude of people with varying abilities made me realize I could no longer use 'tomorrow' as an excuse. I changed my diet and started to swim again. Later that year I joined a running club and learnt to run. Earlier this year I again watched 70.3 Oceanside and knew I was hooked without even attempting a race myself. In parallel to the running I have spent the last 18 months researching my entry into Triathlons (Ernesto, you are not the only Geek!)

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two Girls 12 and 8. My Wife likes to run with me but has no interest in swimming and cycling other than supporting me. We are originally from the UK. I was Transferred to California just over 3 years ago and now reside in Clayton, NC.

CURRENT TRAINING: Still on my ‘recovery’ after completing my 13.1 in November. But as above, I have signed up to a 16 week program starting 1/5/12 and can’t wait!

THIS YEARS RACES: Indoor TRI at my gym, followed by Riverwood sprint on 4/28. *IF* I enjoy it, I have some more local sprints lined up.

2011 RACES:  All running - two 5K road, two 5M trail, one 13.1 City of Oaks. Does watching Oceanside 70.3 count?

WEIGHTLOSS: Family life helped me creep to 210 lbs. When I started running/swimming I ate ‘nutritionally’ as opposed to dieting and quickly dropped to 180. I have been at 172 lbs for several months now and very happy to fit back into my 32’’ jeans!!

2011-12-20 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran

I would like to join your group..

My username is jrdimaur, real name Joe.  I'm 32 5'11 189 lbs and live in NYC.

The fact you said you have a busy life fits well with my lifestyle too.

A little about myself... 

Races:
I have competed in many running races, and biking but I have never completed a TRI. 

Current Training:
Was on track with about 5 days a week.  Fell of past week due to craziness at work.

2012 goals:
Have fun, get in great shape & complete a few Tri's...  Complete NYC Olympic tri, and timberman half iron (aug)

Family:  Happily married.  Just had my first, a boy, 4 mos ago

Work:  Run a financial planning practice in NYC so it takes a lot of my time up and can make me lose focus on training.

Weightloss:
Not the biggest deal.  Could lose a few pounds but I really just want to get in good shape and be healthy.

Why I would make a good mentee (this time):
I have a lot to learn and I think if Im given the right direction I can really excel.  I have a good attitude and will always give something a shot.

Thanks!

Edited by Jrdimaur 2011-12-21 8:09 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122