BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-12-20 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - OPEN
I'm in again Ken! I will write up a bio when I have some more time!!!!!

2011-12-20 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3946290

New user

My wife got me the Paleo Diet for Athletes book and it took a bit to get use to but it's worked great. I was on two blood pressure meds for years, between the diet & weight loss I'm on one and my Doc wants to take me off of that one. I think the diet has really help the BP issue.
2011-12-20 7:17 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Okay - here is my bio.

NAME: Robin

STORY:  After many years of thinking how much I want to train and complete a triathlon, almost 2 years ago I finally got up the courage and completed my first sprint tri in March 2010.  I was hooked after that and completed my first ever 5k and 2 additional sprint tris that same year. I come from a swimming background and swam in HS.  My husband bikes (road and mountain) so I have a lot of advice there.  Started running for really the first time ever consistently over a year ago and was making great progress  until I got sidelined in September with Plantar Fasciitis.  I have always been active and enjoy sports, but until I started training for tris I never had any real consistency in my workouts. 

FAMILY: I am 37 years old. married for 16 years with 2 kids, ages 6 & 8! Moved to Anchorage Alaska in July and looking forward to training here this summer.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Because of the plantar fasciitis running has been nonexistant.  I currently  bike 2 -3 times a week with at least one of those sessions being a spin class the other a trainer. Swim 1-2 times a week, yoga 1-2 times a week, strength around 2x week and lots of cross country skiing right now.  If I can get over the PF I will add the run slowly back on (fingers crossed!).

2011 races: I completed 2 sprint tris and my first ever Half marathon last sumer. Moved to Anchorage Alaska in July and that pretty much ended my season as the move was rather complicated.  

2012 races: I am hoping to complete a few local sprints an oly and my first half ironman (thinking of Redman in September as it is close to family in Oklahoma).  Also my husband and I are going to team up and do a 140 mile relay from Kluane National Park in the Yukon to Hanes, AK.

WEIGHT LOSS: The move to AK has been hard on my waistline!  I am up about 15 pounds from my race weight in May. Of course my new year's resolution is to lose those 15 and maybe a few more!

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE?  I am a great chearleader for others and love to see everyone around me
realizing their potential - that is super motivating for me! I am still relatively new to the sport and can remember those firsts and can help others just starting out.  I still have lots to learn and am super excited to continue the learning process.

I was a member of Ken's summer group and am really excited that he decided to continue on - yeah!  I look forward to meeting all the new folks!

2011-12-20 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Ken-

If you still have room I'd like to join this group.  I'll post bio later if that works.

Thanks,

Scott

2011-12-20 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

NAME: scott1223/Scott 
STORY: I am 48 years old and live outside of Annapolis Maryland.   On Christmas eve 2009 a friend and I were having a "few" drinks and he suggested we do a Triathlon Sprint.  I agreed and that was it...We did the Columbia Celebration and then signed up for a fall race "Osprey".  Since then we have recruited 3-4 more friends to join us in our races.  We have also met a number of others who love to train and race.   I love to bike and have actually come to enjoy swimming.  Running is my down fall.  I need to lose 5-10lbs and maybe after the holidays 20lbs...haha.

I did my first tri sprint in June of 2010 ( Columbia Celebration), another in October (Osprey).  I would like to sign up for the Columbia Oly, but am not sure if I will be able to put in the training.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married to a great wife for 15 yrs.  We have a 13 yr old boy who loves lacrosse and a 10 yr old girl who love gymnastics.  Both of my kids love to bike with me and my son actually did a 50mi ride with us on the eastern shore this summer.

CURRENT TRAINING:  This winter will work on biking and swimming.  I also need to increase my distance on my runs but on a dreadmill it is difficult. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  For 2012, Sprint- Columbia, Osprey and maybe Columbia oly??  I would also like plan on a half mary to increase my running distance. 

Edited by scott1223 2011-12-20 7:55 PM
2011-12-20 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3946975

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
scott1223 - 2011-12-20 8:51 PM

NAME: scott1223/Scott 
STORY: I am 48 years old and live outside of Annapolis Maryland.   On Christmas eve 2009 a friend and I were having a "few" drinks and he suggested we do a Triathlon Sprint.  I agreed and that was it...We did the Columbia Celebration and then signed up for a fall race "Osprey".  Since then we have recruited 3-4 more friends to join us in our races.  We have also met a number of others who love to train and race.   I love to bike and have actually come to enjoy swimming.  Running is my down fall.  I need to lose 5-10lbs and maybe after the holidays 20lbs...haha.

I did my first tri sprint in June of 2010 ( Columbia Celebration), another in October (Osprey).  I would like to sign up for the Columbia Oly, but am not sure if I will be able to put in the training.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married to a great wife for 15 yrs.  We have a 13 yr old boy who loves lacrosse and a 10 yr old girl who love gymnastics.  Both of my kids love to bike with me and my son actually did a 50mi ride with us on the eastern shore this summer.

CURRENT TRAINING:  This winter will work on biking and swimming.  I also need to increase my distance on my runs but on a dreadmill it is difficult. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  For 2012, Sprint- Columbia, Osprey and maybe Columbia oly??  I would also like plan on a half mary to increase my running distance. 

Sounds like a great plan Scott!  Always fun to have friends that challenge us! 

Welcome to the group!

2011-12-20 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3946937

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-12-20 8:17 PM

Okay - here is my bio.

NAME: Robin

STORY:  After many years of thinking how much I want to train and complete a triathlon, almost 2 years ago I finally got up the courage and completed my first sprint tri in March 2010.  I was hooked after that and completed my first ever 5k and 2 additional sprint tris that same year. I come from a swimming background and swam in HS.  My husband bikes (road and mountain) so I have a lot of advice there.  Started running for really the first time ever consistently over a year ago and was making great progress  until I got sidelined in September with Plantar Fasciitis.  I have always been active and enjoy sports, but until I started training for tris I never had any real consistency in my workouts. 

FAMILY: I am 37 years old. married for 16 years with 2 kids, ages 6 & 8! Moved to Anchorage Alaska in July and looking forward to training here this summer.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Because of the plantar fasciitis running has been nonexistant.  I currently  bike 2 -3 times a week with at least one of those sessions being a spin class the other a trainer. Swim 1-2 times a week, yoga 1-2 times a week, strength around 2x week and lots of cross country skiing right now.  If I can get over the PF I will add the run slowly back on (fingers crossed!).

2011 races: I completed 2 sprint tris and my first ever Half marathon last sumer. Moved to Anchorage Alaska in July and that pretty much ended my season as the move was rather complicated.  

2012 races: I am hoping to complete a few local sprints an oly and my first half ironman (thinking of Redman in September as it is close to family in Oklahoma).  Also my husband and I are going to team up and do a 140 mile relay from Kluane National Park in the Yukon to Hanes, AK.

WEIGHT LOSS: The move to AK has been hard on my waistline!  I am up about 15 pounds from my race weight in May. Of course my new year's resolution is to lose those 15 and maybe a few more!

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE?  I am a great chearleader for others and love to see everyone around me
realizing their potential - that is super motivating for me! I am still relatively new to the sport and can remember those firsts and can help others just starting out.  I still have lots to learn and am super excited to continue the learning process.

I was a member of Ken's summer group and am really excited that he decided to continue on - yeah!  I look forward to meeting all the new folks!

Great to have you back again Robin!!  It seems you spent most of last summer moving way up north! Smile  Hopefully we can get you through the PF and back running again!  Especially since we have a PT in the group!

2011-12-20 10:40 PM

Ken-I would love to join this group if there is still room.  I am currently 42 and am brand new to the sport.  I used to run and bike but have no experience swimming.  I have always wanted to participate in a tri but the last fifteen years of work and stress kept me pretty distracted.  I'm figuring it is now or never so I better get going.  I am still quite a bit overweight but have lost about 35 pounds in the last 2.5 months and am very motivated.  I am signed up for my first tri in May and am not sure if I will be able to get the swim down by then.

My wife and I are both from NH but have been living out on the Left Coast for the last decade.  Lived in Seattle before moving down to Portland, Oregon.  I am currently training (just started a few weeks ago) from Tom Holland's the 12 week triathlete and am very motivated. 

Thanks,

PM

2011-12-20 11:10 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Hi Ken and the group.

I would love to be in the group again and will post my bio tomorrow.

Thanks,

Kathleen

2011-12-21 4:13 AM
in reply to: #3947168

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
pmitch - 2011-12-20 11:40 PM

Ken-I would love to join this group if there is still room.  I am currently 42 and am brand new to the sport.  I used to run and bike but have no experience swimming.  I have always wanted to participate in a tri but the last fifteen years of work and stress kept me pretty distracted.  I'm figuring it is now or never so I better get going.  I am still quite a bit overweight but have lost about 35 pounds in the last 2.5 months and am very motivated.  I am signed up for my first tri in May and am not sure if I will be able to get the swim down by then.

My wife and I are both from NH but have been living out on the Left Coast for the last decade.  Lived in Seattle before moving down to Portland, Oregon.  I am currently training (just started a few weeks ago) from Tom Holland's the 12 week triathlete and am very motivated. 

Thanks,

PM

Another weight loss success story! Thats awesome!  Welcome to the group!  We will get you swimming, do you have good access to a pool?

2011-12-21 4:14 AM
in reply to: #3947192

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-12-21 12:10 AM

Hi Ken and the group.

I would love to be in the group again and will post my bio tomorrow.

Thanks,

Kathleen

Great to have you with us again Kathleen!  Looking forward to you posting your bio and bragging a little about being one of the new Ironmen!

2011-12-21 4:16 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Another suggestion, if you like to keep up with the conversation without checking in here you can have these posts sent to your e-mail.  Just hit the toggle e-mail at the bottom of the thread and check the box.

I think we have room for a few more, I think we can go to 18 or so with this group!  I will tally up how many we have, but for now I must go swim!

What is everyone else doing for training today?

Edited by kenj 2011-12-21 4:17 AM
2011-12-21 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I'm Scott Richardson. Age 60.  A writer.   Friends call me the Iceman.  

I was 400 pounds, 50 inch waist in 2005 when I started riding a bike.  I lost a bunch, went to a doctor for a checkup and cancer was discovered in early 2006.  They told me that if I continued to stay in shape there was a less chance of a return. No need to say more.

I rode several thousand miles on a bike each year and started racing bikes on a relay team for LiveSTRONG in local triathlons.  I actually felt bad flying by triathletes I knew had already had to swim.  At the same time, my weight loss was slowing because I was only asking my body to do one thing and the body adapts and becomes very efficient.  I started to run and swim went solo at sprints and olys in 2009, worked up to a half Ironman in 2010 and did Ironman Wisconsin in 2011.  My waist is a 33.  I'm OK on the swim, faster on the bike and the run is slow. 

I just had two surgeries in Oct. and Nov. First was to repair a hernia I had for a year after a fall on a night run in 2010.  Couldn't stop to have it repaired or would have missed IM Moo, so I did the 140.6 miles with it. As a friend says, if it were easy, they'd call it PantyMan.  The second was to remove what my doctor thought was a cancer of the colon.  It was a large obstruction, yes, but not cancer.  Benign.  I was out of the hospital in 3 days, back on the bike in 10 days.

This winter I'm working on speed work on the run outside (still warm in Central Illinois) on the track and on the treadmill.  Treadmills are perfect for speed work.I am in Masters.  Have to get back in the pool after the surgeries right after Christmas. I have been in Masters Swimming Asso two years. It's great.

2012: A race so far is Branson Half IM in September.  I have a sprint in June, Oly in July.  Might add another half IM.  I love that distance.

Beyond:  I am thinking about doing another IM as soon as my wife recovers from the last one.  They are hard on the family.  She is my manager and a great one.  I could never afford her if I had to pay her.

Coaching: I've been coached three years by VisionQuest, the downstate branch.  My coach lives here in town. VQ is based in Chicago. Owner is Robbie Ventura, who used to race with Lance Armstrong.  I've also learned plenty from Beginner Triathlete and elsewhere.  Love Face Book because it offers so many great articles and blogs from triathletes, runners, cyclists and swimmers.  I'm had contact with Chrissie Wellington and got great advice (Smile always.) and had conversations with people like Bruynell, Armstrong's manager. Where else is that happening? 

Favorite saying: I do what another man won't do today so I can do what another man can't do tomorrow.

Training recently has been hard bikes with strength exercises at low RPMs and high watts plus VO2 max drills, high cadence drills, single pedal drills. Runs have been varied speed up to 10K.  Right now I have the fewest injuries as in none since I don't know when.  A year ago I had IT band at the end of the year, then the hernia and bowel obstruction.  Feeling damn good actually.  Sleep = 8 to 9 hours. 

Merry Christmas.  Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Ice. 

2011-12-21 7:43 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great write up Ice!  You are right about IM being hard on the family, so far every other year works best for mine! 

Again congrats on a great 2011 and all you have accomplished!  Glad to have you in the group again! (3rd time!)

2011-12-21 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3947451

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kenj - 2011-12-21 7:43 AM

Great write up Ice!  You are right about IM being hard on the family, so far every other year works best for mine! 

Again congrats on a great 2011 and all you have accomplished!  Glad to have you in the group again! (3rd time!)

Ken, you've helped me a lot. I frankly only wanted the IM once to get the tattoos and the bragging rights.  But there is something about that event that is life changing.  I love the half IronMan distance.  But the IronMan is something to experience.  Knowing you can do that is a feeling I can't describe. I had cramps on the bike as you know and I am actually things went haywire a bit...it was even a great test to get to the finish line.  Sweeter victory.  But now I know I can go the distance, I wouldn't mind going harder with what I learned.  Better electrolyte management would cut an hour off my time, I think.  Getting faster on the swim could cut 10 to 15 minutes.  Trying to improve running form, maybe another 30 mins, who knows.  That would be pushing 13 hours.  Not bad for an old man.  I was in the upper third on the age group last time (barely).  I wouldn't mind being higher than that just once.  And IM Wisconsin is a tremendous venue.  Tons of fun.  Other flatter courses might suit me better like IM Fla.  Don't know.  Might try swimming with the sharks once. 

2011-12-21 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3947466

User image

Expert
Great story Ice. Inspirational to get my butt in gear!

2011-12-21 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Still open?
2011-12-21 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3947575

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

gator22 - 2011-12-21 8:40 AM Great story Ice. Inspirational to get my butt in gear!

You can lose the 50.  There is a problem...we tend to need calories to do efficient and worthwhile workouts.  So getting tuned into the weight loss while fueling the workouts is a challenge.  I was at 205 for the half IM, now 220 after IM because I needed upper body muscle for the swim.  10% body fat.  So hard for me to shave it off.,  I bought a BodyBugg and discovered my calorie burn without exercise is about 250 cals below what was estimated. So I'm trying to eat so that I can have a 500 cal deficit a day.  Over 7 days, thats a pound.  Also, I have to adjust what I eat.  Even though my cal intake is right, I have to switch to more protein and less fat. Will have to stop the angel food cake after dinner, etc. Blah.  But I know if I want to run faster and bike faster, that's what is going to have to be.  I'm at about 22 mph for a 12.5 mile TT now.  I'd like to bust 21 for the half IM distance by September. (Without cramps, thank you.)  So I will have to lose some pounds.  

You might also look at when you eat.  We have to have carbs.  But if we eat them closer to the workout then we are more likely to use them than store them. 

Also, a great book is Fit Soul Fit body by Mark Allen, the IM Kona champ from Iron War.  It talks about active meditation which I'm into but he also talks about training slow to go faster.  The idea is that we tend to train so hard that our body gets used to burning fuel other than the fat we want to burn.  He recommends a slow (which turns out to be very slow by the heart rate zone he targets) and long workout to burn the fat. 

Good luck. I've learned a little about weight loss. So I'm looking forward to exchanging ideas.

Edited by IceManScott 2011-12-21 1:05 PM
2011-12-21 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3947773

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

MarlaS - 2011-12-21 11:13 AM Still open?

Sure!  Come on in!

2011-12-21 10:53 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland

For those of you familiar with the Finger Lakes area, can you recommend a good family friendly camping area with cabins near the site of the Musselman tri's?  I just looked it up and the race looks like a lot of fun.

The Musselman website lists Cheerful Valley and Bristol Woodlands campgrounds.  Does anyone know anything about these?

Thanks,

2011-12-21 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3947873

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-12-21 11:53 AM

For those of you familiar with the Finger Lakes area, can you recommend a good family friendly camping area with cabins near the site of the Musselman tri's?  I just looked it up and the race looks like a lot of fun.

The Musselman website lists Cheerful Valley and Bristol Woodlands campgrounds.  Does anyone know anything about these?

Thanks,

Vivian, I can't answer on that even though I live near Bristol as I am not familiar with either location.  There is a KOA that I pass on my bike from time to time that is always busy and has cabins.  It would either be listed as Canandaigua or Farmington NY as it is right on the line.  That and Bristol Woodlands would be about a 20 - 30 minute drive to the race site.  Did it say where Cheerful Valley is located?

The race is a lot of fun and the Finger Lakes has a lot going on that time of year so I would highly recommend the race.  The fact that it is about 15 miles from home helps too!

2011-12-21 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3947942

User image

Regular
Maryland

Vivian, I can't answer on that even though I live near Bristol as I am not familiar with either location.  There is a KOA that I pass on my bike from time to time that is always busy and has cabins.  It would either be listed as Canandaigua or Farmington NY as it is right on the line.  That and Bristol Woodlands would be about a 20 - 30 minute drive to the race site.  Did it say where Cheerful Valley is located?

The race is a lot of fun and the Finger Lakes has a lot going on that time of year so I would highly recommend the race.  The fact that it is about 15 miles from home helps too!

Cheerful Valley is in Phelps.

Canandaigua/RochesterKOA (Is this the one that you're talking about?  It looks nice.  Thanks for the tip!)

2011-12-21 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3948069

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-12-21 1:03 PM

Cheerful Valley is in Phelps.

Canandaigua/RochesterKOA (Is this the one that you're talking about?  It looks nice.  Thanks for the tip!)

That is the one I was refering too!  Not familiar with Cheerful Valley, but Phelps is going to be closer to the race venue by about half. 

2011-12-21 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
NAME: shake-n-bake/Tim

STORY:  I'm 40 years old and I got this wild hair that I wanted to do triathlons..After starting my training in Nov.  2009  I ended up having knee surgery in February 2010 as soon as the doctor released me I was back in the pool and on a stationary bike..I have no background of swimming,cycling or running but I just continue to push myself and followed the beginner Olympic plan.. After being release to run in May I competed my first Olympic Tri in June with a time of 2:53:00..I ended up completing seven events in 2010, with setting PR's along the way. I went back to site of my first race in 2011 to shatter that time and finsh in 2:41:00..Going back again in 2012 to try and improve on this..

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a great supporting/loving spouse with two kids.. One girl 16 and a boy 7...Without their support know of this would be possible..

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now kinda in a maintenance stage, have been really working on my run base by running in a low heart rate zone..Been averaging 6 runs per week until week of 12/20 having some discomfort in left foot..Will be hitting the pool again in Jan. 2012

2010 RACES:
5 Olympics and 2 Sprints check out my race logs if interested..

2011 RACES:   Peachtree International Tri(May), West Point Olympic(June), Chattanooga Waterfront(July),Chattahoochee Sprint(July), Peachtree Tri Sprint(August) Augusta 70.3(September) Several 5k and 10k completed..Also did the Soldiers Half Marathon in November..Set a personal best in 5k and 10k races..Completed my first HIM which was awesome..All my tri races are in my race log if you are interested..

2012 RACES/PLANS: 1/29 Half Marathon. 4/29 West Point Olympic, (May) Peachtree International Tri or a 70.3 event, (June)Chattahoochee Sprint, Callaway Sprint, (July) Chattanooga Waterfront?? (August) Peachtree Tri Sprint, (September) Augusta 70.3..

July and August nothing in stone yet because I'm still debating on signing up for Ironman Louisville...If I do I will use these months for training and no races..

Volunteer for Florida Ironman so I can get a spot for 2013...All slots sold out fast this year. Looking forward to meeting Ken..

WEIGHTLOSS: I have the hardest time shedding weight, so if anyone has advice it will be greatly appreciated..Currently 185 would like to drop 20 pounds if possible to be lighter for my races.. Just haven't found what works for my body..On weight loss this continues to be a struggle for me I lost no weight in 2011 so I need some help with this...I log my food daily with My Fitness Pal..Thinking of seeing a sports nutritionist in 2012..

GOALS: To improve my run times, to have fun , meet new people , to help others and try to stay injury free..A Podium finish would be nice also..

I only have two years experience but I will be glad to give any advice that I can..Happy to be a men-tee again with Ken and this great group you were all an inspiration in 2011...

Edited by shake-n-bake 2011-12-21 2:23 PM
2011-12-21 4:10 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Happy Winter Solstice!!! Never paid much attention until we moved north.  It is a big deal here as a time of reflection and also looking toward the future. sunrise 10:14 and sunset at 3:43 Total of 5:28! max sun inclination at 5 1/2 degrees. looking forward to eventually seing the sun above the mountains again!

spin class finished for the day - check!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72