BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-12-28 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3957722

User image

South Florida
Subject: RE: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- OPEN

Welcome Jessie! I have family in the DC Area(Arlington & Manassas) I have a love for DC. Such a great city!  My first marathon the Marine Corps Marathon. I ran that with Eli and his wife. Great course and even greater support.

When is the Richmond HIM?

2011-12-28 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3943465

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Hey Jessie.  With the proper training HIM will be doable.  Still gonna get your *** handed to you but it will be worth every minute of suffering!

My wife's family is from Manassas as well.  Been there many times.   The D.C. area is going to be a great place to train.  Lots of very fit people in that area and a lot to do.

Nick, I've been talking about the Marine Corps Marathon quite a bit the last few years.  Will be there someday.  The course just looks so cool!

2011-12-28 12:56 PM

I actually live in Arlington.  I aboslutely love it! 

The Richmond Half isn't until September, thankfully.   I also plan to do the DC Olympic distance in June, which should be fun.   No way will you catch me racing in July or August around here.  I am a Michigan girl can CANNOT deal with that type of humidity!

2011-12-28 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3957974

User image

Master
Nimue - 2011-12-28 12:56 PM

The Richmond Half isn't until September, thankfully.   I also plan to do the DC Olympic distance in June, which should be fun.   No way will you catch me racing in July or August around here.  I am a Michigan girl can CANNOT deal with that type of humidity!

Jessie,

Welcome! I think this group will have the stick-to-it-ness.

I also think I have a sense of humor, but I am sure Nick and my wife Mel will disagree on the quality.

And, since you now live in Arlington, you need to see this-Arlington Rap

July and August training???? That is my FAVORITE!

2011-12-28 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3958211

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
eliwashere - 2011-12-28 12:24 PM
Nimue - 2011-12-28 12:56 PM

Jessie,

Welcome! I think this group will have the stick-to-it-ness.

I also think I have a sense of humor, but I am sure Nick and my wife Mel will disagree on the quality.

And, since you now live in Arlington, you need to see this-Arlington Rap

July and August training???? That is my FAVORITE!

That video was hilarious!  Being from LA I couldn't stop laughing....

2011-12-28 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3958211

User image

South Florida

Haha That video is hilarious!

And yes. I love training in the August Heat. Doesn't get any better!

2011-12-28 2:56 PM

Subject: May I join?

Hi all! I would love to join this group if there is room for me!

NAME: Whitney/ohwhitneykay

STORY: I am a 25 yr old tri newbie. I had the pleasure of watching my brother complete the Subaru Ironman in Penticton in 2010, and the energy of the race environment was contagious. I was inspired at the time, but finances and work discouraged me from joining at that point.  He convinced me (just this week!) to participate in the Olympic Distance race at Wildflower in May. I am not out of shape, per se, staying active with yoga, recreational runs, cycling and walking my dog, but building endurance is definitely going to be a challenge. I have signed up for a few 5Ks in January and February to seal the deal.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, no kids. One awesome dog. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Looking for training facilities nearby to join. Formal training has yet to commence. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: RunDenver's Polar Bear 5K (and another 5'er to be named later). Wildflower Olympic Distance triathlon. 

2011 RACES: none! 

2012 goals: Complete Wildflower and catch tri fever! Regain control of my body after a year of long commutes, a desk job and a long football season full of beer and burgers. 

2011-12-28 9:17 PM

User image

Master

Whitney, 

Glad to have you! I have heard Penticon is a great race.

Watch out, it doesn't take much to get addicted to this sport. So many options...Swim, Bike, Run, Trash Talk!

We are happy to help fuel your interest.

I have heard great things about wildflower as well.

2011-12-28 9:49 PM

User image

Evansville, IN

Hope I can join in.

NAME: Jake-neumann_jc

STORY: I injured my knee in the Marines and swore I would never run another mile again. 7 years later I got fat. I mean really fat. I was 350lbs at one point. I am still very big (282lbs) but it's coming off especially with all of this training. I'm 30 years old and hated myself so I got up and started doing something about it. I stumbled across the Ironman Louisville this year and was amazed with everything. The toned fit bodies and honestly just the ability to push yourself to those limits amazed me. I haven't signed up for any races yet but I have my sights set on my first sprint in June.

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married for 10 years, 14 yr old step son.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Started taking a spin class and running. Starting Jan 3rd there is a adult swim class starting up and a triathlon training class is also beginning. I am already signed up to do both.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I've never ran a triathlon before but would like to do a sprint in June and maybe an Olympic in August.

2011 RACES: none! 

2012 goals: First and foremost is to continue to lost more weight. Complete the Southern Indiana Sprint Tri and maybe the Body, Mind, Spirit Olympic Tri in August. Possibly toss in some 5K's.

2011-12-29 7:19 AM

User image

Master

Jake,

Welcome aboard! 

Sorry to hear about your knee. The marines aren't gentle on the body. My wife was a Marine and I played for the Marine Corps base team on Oahu. All I got from that was a torn rotator cuff and a vague sense of bruising (I don't remember anything else due to the concussion and amnesia).

Glad to hear you are getting back in shape. Take is slow. Get consistent with the basics first, then you can worry about getting strong/fast/fit.

Post any questions and I am sure we will all be glad to answer!

2011-12-29 7:29 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

So, plans are in the system, and my motivation is high!

I have to say, I like the BT plan system, but customizing and importing can be a pain. I have used a bunch of different tools to help me track fitness, training, eating, etc. I like using BT as a single place.

Plus, the forums help me stay motivated, as reading other people's stories help keep me getting out there so I can find some stories of my own.

Do you all check out the forums?If so, which one?

2011-12-29 8:32 AM

New user

I would like to join in too!

NAME: Michelle

STORY: I am 43.  Last year I signed up for myfirsttri and had a blast.  I loved the training, setting the goal and doing it.  On a whim I signed up for Savannah RNR full this fall..goal to finish and I did it.  Wasnt pretty but I was smiling when I finished.  I was lucky enough to see IM Moo in person and it inpired me to do all that I can.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to an awesome guy with a great kid (couple dogs, cats, reptiles too)

CURRENT TRAINING: Run focus for the winter (using BarryP to build).  Son saw me finish a sprint and asked to complete one therefore this winter I am doing alot of Sprinit training with a 10 year old.  I think this may be more fulfilling than competing myself.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Redtop rumle (11.5 trail), Savannah RNR full, looking at a fall oly and Sherpaing Callaoway Gardens Tri for the husband and son.

2011 RACES: Myfirsttri, Savannah rnr full

2012 goals: Stop just doing it and race hard.  Get in some 5k and/or 10k.  Balance a family who is all training.  A race is Savannah I want to finish with a good time.  Bike more (2x a week) and swim at least once.

Saw someone say they are doing Vinemann.. I have family/friends doing it.  Sounds like a great race.  Anyone looking for IM I must say I sherpaed IM Moo and it was a great race.  The fans are cazy and fun.

2011-12-29 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

I'll join too! Ill post my resume thing a majiggy once I know that I am officially in.

2011-12-29 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3959396

User image

Master

Michelle, 

Welcome aboard! I wish I could get my nine year old daughter to be more into it. She crews on a lot of our relay races and likes seeing my training friends as much as I do. I think it is the sweating part that bothers her.

Training with family can be tough! My wife is a marathoner and is thinking about doing a duathlon. We often struggle to find time for the long runs and rides and still see each other and our daughter.

So, which thing are you going to race hard? 5K/10K or a sprint? 

I always like to give something 6-8 weeks of focus when going to a new record. Focusing on a run while still biking and swimming should work. I find that my running gets better when I don't just run.

2011-12-29 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3959396

User image

Master

DP

Edited by eliwashere 2011-12-29 9:28 AM
2011-12-29 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3959428

User image

Master
bcagle25 - 2011-12-29 8:40 AM

I'll join too! Ill post my resume thing a majiggy once I know that I am officially in.

Ben,

Consider yourself IN!

I checked out your logs....Wheeeee! I like your race list. I want to do the Triple T as well, and entered the Kona lottery for the second time.

Lots of motivation on your log, and it looks like you have been run focused recently. What are your plans?

2011-12-29 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3958926

User image

South Florida

Welcome Devildog! What was your MOS in the Corps? I was in the Corps as well. I was 1833 AAV operator, based in Camp Pendleton. LOVE THAT BASE

- I agree with Eli. Consistancy is key. Dig deep in your memory from recruit training. Apply that to your training and your're golden! :-) We're all here to help

2011-12-29 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3959806

User image

Master
nvalaitis - 2011-12-29 10:24 AM

Welcome Devildog! What was your MOS in the Corps? I was in the Corps as well. I was 1833 AAV operator, based in Camp Pendleton. LOVE THAT BASE

Now you got him started, we are all in trouble!

2011-12-29 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Good to see more motivated people in our forum! Love it!<br><br>I agree with Eli, once I started swimming and biking I broke all my running records, at the ripe old age of 40 as well!<br><br>I'm doing ironman California whic we ride through camp pendelton. Been studying those mountains we have to ride through. I hear they are absolutly killer.
2011-12-29 11:51 AM

User image

Master

Training in south florida, our biggest hills are the overpasses for the intercoastal.

We go up to clermont, not far from Orlando to do hills. That, or program a course we can use on a computrainer at one of the local bike shops.

As a larger triathlete-6ft 210lbs, hills are not my friend. IM NY/NJ will have some rollers, so I am already starting to plan for dealing with that.

2011-12-29 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3959953

User image

South Florida
Mitch! Those hills are THE real deal. I was stations at Camp Del Mar which is where the bike course goes through. I am dying to get out there for that race, but it falls near my wedding anniversary, so it would take a lot of convincing to get the wife to agree. Camp Pendleton holds a special place for me and would love to do that race one day.

2011-12-29 1:33 PM

User image

NAME: Isomorphism / Dave

STORY: I was always an athletic guy, but the last few years I found myself out of shape and pretty overweight.  I started graduate school in mathematics last year and had a miserable time.  Classes kicked my butt and my whole mental image was incredibly negative.  This summer something changed though.  I started a C25K program and naturally started to improve my nutrition.  I finished the C25K program and have been upping my miles to a 10k about 2 months ago.  I also managed to do my first sprint tri although it was an indoor.  Just about everything in my life has improved...school is easier, I am happier, and in the best shape of my life.  The challenge that triathlons offer thrills me and I love pushing myself farther than I expect I can.

FAMILY STATUS: I am 24 and single.

CURRENT TRAINING:  This is the reason I hesitated to try to join the group.  About 2 months ago I started having knee pain (runner's knee).  After a doctor's visit and numerous PT appointments they have finally narrowed it down to an issue with an immobile pelvis.  I have to wait until next week to get it resolved (hopefully) and I haven't been able to run much in the past few weeks.  I am currently doing what I can but I hope to get back to my 5-ish hours/week training and I'd like to up that by a few hours.

NEXT YEAR'S RACES:  I don't have any picked out specifically but there are a bunch of good Oly's near me and I'd like to do at least 2 by June.  My main running goal is the St. Louis half marathon in April and if things go correctly I'd like to do the Muncie HM.

2011 Races:  A couple 5K's, warrior dash, 10K and an indoor sprint tri.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6'0" and from summer to now I went from ~240lbs. to 175lbs.  I am fairly happy with my weight now but I'm still trying to change some fat into muscle.

I wish everyone good luck with their training, I hope to get to know you all a lot better.

Edited by Isomorphism 2011-12-29 3:54 PM
2011-12-29 3:23 PM

User image

New user
Sunshine State (where it always rains lol)

Hello All!

Seems like you guys are still open for business and if you don't mind I'd like to join you all.

Name: swim_turtle28/Lexi

Story: I was first inspired to do a tri by my friend's mom who competed in the Santa Rosa Tri this past October. Seeing her do it made me want to jump in as well. I was a competitive swimmer from 3rd grade all the way up through hs. (the college i went to didn't have team so I just kinda did my own thing when i could) I also ran during hs and kept it up afterwards doing 5ks and such. The only event I've never competed in before would be a bike race. I take a spin class though.. in search of a good bike at the moment.

Family Status: 22 yr old/ single

Current Training: I run with a running club downtown (10miles a week if i'm being good.. i know that's not alot) , I do spin class twice a week for 45-60min., I swim with a former hs swimming buddy some days when the work schedule permits it

2011 Races: Didn't do a tri I did a few 5k's: Turkey Trot, Pumpkin Run, Make it to the Line 4miler

2012 Races: Double Bridge Run 15k, MulletMan Sprint Tri (possibly we'll see ), McGuires 5k, and Santa Rosa Island Tri

Can't wait to do my first race. :D

2011-12-29 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3960336

User image

Master

Dave,

Stay with us! Sorry to hear about you pelvis. I don't think I have heard of that one before. 

Quite a transformation you undertook, from 245 to 175 is a long way for a 6 footer! Don't let your recent challenge trip you up too much.

Can you cross-train- Swim and Bike, without pain?

2011-12-29 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3960634

User image

Master

Lexi,

Great to have you aboard. Sounds like you are gearing up to get started. Congrats!

We are happy to have your with us.

What was your stroke when you were swimming competitively?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16