BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2012-01-02 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3965946

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-01-02 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3966093

Veteran
Waterford, MI.
Subject: RE: FoggyGog's Mentor Group - Open
FoggyGoggles - 2012-01-02 9:33 AM

Welcome Josh! I wish I had your gumption! In a former life I rode bulls (high school and college) and ended up having surgery on my right shoulder and left orbital. Both times that I was in the hospital or PT I thought "I should be doing this as a profession." Never did!

Great goals for the 2012 season. You have some really nice races in MI as well. I was looking at one that started on Lake Michigan and carried throughout some beautiful backwoods for the B / R. Might have to take another look!

Foggy, there are some beautiful run and bike courses in northern Michigan.  Petoskey, Mackinaw and Traverse city all have lake Michigan starts and great B/R.  Steelhead 70.3 is supposed to have a nice B/R but the swim has been cancelled a few times in the couple of years due to strong currents.
2012-01-02 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3966150

2012-01-02 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3965197

New user

Question (for anyone really): Here on Long Island there is a swim program for adults called AquaFit Masters.  It is geared for people who want to swim as a sport (including triathalon).  However, it is a strict program regarding attendance and this could prove to be difficult for me (certain place, certain time).  An alternate is a pool very close to my house that has very good hours of operation which would enable me to swim when I have time.  The draw back is there are no programs to improve swim technique.  Are videos a good source of instruction?  Has this worked for anyone?

Thanks,

Jesse

2012-01-02 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3965844

Veteran
Waterford, MI.
Just got done with an hour trainer session with my interval happy buddies. I hate intervals, and now I hate my friends as well.
2012-01-02 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3966609

2012-01-02 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3966664

2012-01-02 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3945983

New user

I'd like to join your group if there is still room.

Name- Selena

Story- I was never athletic and never played any sports throughout school/college. Jan 1 2010 I decided to start exercising to lose weight. I started walking and soon started to run. I found that I love to run! Since 2010 I have done 6 half marathons and 2 full marathons, along with numerous shorter distance races. I volunteered this year at the Louisville Ironman and decided I wanted that to be me! Well, I signed up for my first swim lesson on 11/19. As I was getting out of the pool one day I noticed a sign for an indoor tri, so, I signed up. Swim 10 minutes, Bike 30 minutes, Run 20 minutes. Surely I could do that and not drown Well, I did! It was a lot of fun! In 2010 I managed to lose 70 pounds and have managed to keep it off! I am 5'4" and about 115 pounds.

2011 season- In 2011 I did 4 half marathons, 2 full marathons, 3 5ks, 1 10k, 2 10 milers and a 4 mile race. Also the indoor tri at the Y

Family status- I have a 13 year old son from my first marriage. He is the best! He, like me at his age, has no interest in physical activity I am hoping that my new found love for running, biking or swimming, will rub off eventually!

Current training- Just ran a 10 mile race yesterday (with a new PR in 21+ MPH winds!). Start marathon training in 2 weeks. Am still working on learning to swim and am trying to follow a zero to one mile program I found online to build up my swim. I got a new Trek road bike for Christmas (I got it early so I have been able to ride it a few times!) and cannot wait until it warms up a little so I can use it instead of the Y bikes!

2012 goals- I am currently registered for the KY Derby marathon on 4/28, the Oak Barrel Half Marathon on 4/7 in Lynchburg TN, and the Indy Women's Half Marathon on 9/1 in Indianapolis IN. I have not signed up yet for a tri but I am going to soon. I am looking at a sprint in early June, an Olympic in July and I would really like to do a half ironman (maybe Augusta). I want to do a few tri's just for the practice I will most likely sign up for our Triple Crown races too (a 5k, 10k, and 10 mile run) but early registration doesn't end until February so I am hanging on to that $$ for now!

I hope you have room in your group for me! Thanks!

2012-01-02 7:23 PM

Hey Jessie - have you heard of the Total Immersion swim method. It's what my wife and I use and she was not a swimmer but is now swimming over a mile regularly at the pool and in Open Water!Selena - my wife just told me about an indoor tri that a local gym is putting on. It sounds like a lot of fun and I think we might sign up!Today was my wife's last off day before she goes back to work tomorrow. We met up at the gym and worked out (aka ran on treadmills next to each other) together. It's always nice to be able to spend the day with her! My legs were pretty heavy due to yesterday's Spinervals session, so my run today was short and slow - just enough to stretch out my legs. I then got some time on the HydroMassage table, which was nice but not long enough.
2012-01-02 9:42 PM

Hi there!

I would love to join this group!

I am a mom of three kids (6,4, & 3), happily married for 10 years now and I go to the local gym 4-5 days a week for cardio and strength training.  I have a slight addiction for group fitness classes I have to admit.  I do know it is important to mix up your routine though.  Since I have been getting more involved in my kids' schools and they are more active with extra curricular activities I realize I can not always rely on the my gym classes.  I have always wanted to do a triathlon and I have finally decided that this year will be my year!  OK, let's get real, I'm starting off with a sprint on June 16, 2012.  I was a good swimmer in high school and on the swim team, my husband and I used to mountain bike before kids, I'm not the best runner- but I'm working on that.  = )  I will be 40 years old this year in May and I am planning on making 40 look FABULOUS! 

2012-01-03 6:24 AM
in reply to: #3967309

Edited by FoggyGoggles 2012-01-03 6:28 AM

2012-01-03 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3965178

Expert
Subject: RE: FoggyGoggles Group - Open

I do have a training program that is an 8 week program.  So currently working on building up a road base both running and bike until such time as the program is set to kick off which is the first week 3rd week of January.

http://www.cgiracing.com/portals/1/sprintduathlonplan.pdf

That is the link to the training program.  If you have a chance give it a look and see if you think its a good enough program to get me ready for a 5K/14 Mi/5K event.

Thanks

Don

Edited by dsand97 2012-01-03 7:22 AM
2012-01-03 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3967567

2012-01-03 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3967699

Expert
Subject: RE: FoggyGoggles Group - Open

I'm alot weaker on my bike since I haven't ridden in a while.  I got a great deal on a Tri Bike that is the right size for me for a change but need more time in the saddle to get more comfortable in the aero position.  I agree that the run portion is a little light to start out with and I will probably look to do a little more speedwork early on.  The last HM wrecked me pretty good as I didn't train for it as well as I probably should have.  Also it says to wait a little while to work hills into my training.  Well I don't know where they live but as you know here in the Texas Hill Country there isn't much choice in the matter.

I also may look to take a running day and start to work some on my swim technique, by far my weakest discipline.

2012-01-03 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3967755

2012-01-03 12:25 PM

Austin, Texas

Foggy,

I would like to join in on all of this fun too!

Name-Cajnrunner/Stephen

Story-This is my 2nd full season of tri's. I have an athletic background and I am very competitive.  I am an avid runner and am trying to bring the biking and swimming up to a strong level.  I enjoy doing all three sports and feel like they are not 3 different sports but triathlon is a single sport, so I want to work hard at all three in order to do well. 

Family- I am married, almost 8 years!  How she puts up with me I will never know!  I also have to awesome daughters, 19 and 6.  I hope that they can watch the old man, and hopefully understand and see that everything is within your grasp, with alot of hardwork and dedication to ANYTHING that life throws at you.

Training- I have my first ironman in November, IMFL and I am super excited.  I just completed my first marathon in December and plan to build upon that as well as introduce some interval biking and long rides, as well as many hours of swimming to get this goal achieved and make a decent showing for the effort I put into it. 

Good luck with the season and lets meet and exceed all the goals we have set this year!

2012-01-03 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3968335

2012-01-03 4:13 PM

2012-01-03 4:36 PM

Logan Ut

Did some weight lifting today at work.  The one benefit of working at my job is I get to lift those 35-40 pound bags of dog food around for 4 hours.  It is also great for squats as well. I will be going running tonight after my date with my sweat-heart.

Had a long talk with my wife as well and told her my plans for the next few months and we found out that the nice gym in the area gives her work a 60% discount on memberships. This means i can go swimming for a lot less then I have been.  They also have a day care also.  I now have a place to work out at and not have to worry about the kids. YESSmile

2012-01-03 5:55 PM

Concord

I'd like to join this group if there is still space.  

Here is my brief bio

Name: Canon 

Tri Background: This is my second year of triathlons in my second stint of triathlons.  I did a few triathlons way back in the dark ages (also known as high school) and then started again last year.  I swam and rode throughout high school and worked as a lifeguard during college.  Getting back into it I still love the swim and the ride parts, the run not so much.  Last year I did the Golden Gate Tri and a  Tri for Real, both sprint distance.   

Plans for this year:  I haven't settled on the races I will do this year but I'm looking at one in Napa in May, and then the Tri for Real again in September.  I'm trying to find another one or two somewhere in between but who knows.  I might also look at a century or half century if I can find one that is relatively flat.  I would also like to use this year to build appropriate muscle mass (I've always hated going to the gym to lift weights but I know I need to) build my core strength and do a better job of finding balance in my training to make this a workable lifestyle, not just a ramp up to one or two races. Gaining some speed would be good too.

When I'm not on a bike/run/swim: I'm the father of two and husband of one.  I like to cook (I'm vegetarian), I'm active in my church (an elder, kindergarten teacher and youth leader),  oh yea and I practice law.  (Maybe I should have said that the other way around ... when I'm not doing all those other things ... I'm out for a swim/bike/run)

Look forward to getting to know you all,

Canon

2012-01-03 6:02 PM

Veteran
Waterford, MI.
Got out for one hour of drills and laps at the pool and 45 min of strength and core this morning.  Got home this evening and my running partner (A.K.A. my dog) convinced me to go out for a 30 min run.

2012-01-03 6:15 PM
in reply to: #3968335

Veteran
Waterford, MI.
cajnrunner - 2012-01-03 12:25 PM

Foggy,

I would like to join in on all of this fun too!

Name-Cajnrunner/Stephen

Story-This is my 2nd full season of tri's. I have an athletic background and I am very competitive.  I am an avid runner and am trying to bring the biking and swimming up to a strong level.  I enjoy doing all three sports and feel like they are not 3 different sports but triathlon is a single sport, so I want to work hard at all three in order to do well. 

Family- I am married, almost 8 years!  How she puts up with me I will never know!  I also have to awesome daughters, 19 and 6.  I hope that they can watch the old man, and hopefully understand and see that everything is within your grasp, with alot of hardwork and dedication to ANYTHING that life throws at you.

Training- I have my first ironman in November, IMFL and I am super excited.  I just completed my first marathon in December and plan to build upon that as well as introduce some interval biking and long rides, as well as many hours of swimming to get this goal achieved and make a decent showing for the effort I put into it. 

Good luck with the season and lets meet and exceed all the goals we have set this year!

Congrats on the marathon and getting in to IMFL.  I tried to get in but was to slow, so my 1st 140.6 is going to be IMLO this year.  I'll probably be checking in with you for some running tips.

When the time comes, make sure to post your bib # for IMFL.  I'm going to be there volunteering while a friend of mine races.  I'd like to be able to cheer on a fellow BTer

Good luck with your training.

Josh

Edited by jdutton13 2012-01-05 9:10 PM
2012-01-03 8:33 PM

New user

Rode the stationary bike at the Y for 30 minutes. Then swam a horrible 500 meters in the pool. I was planning on 900 meters but the swim was so awful that I just stopped, so that the lifeguard didn't have to save me from drowning. I will try again on Thursday. I just can't seem to get the breathing thing down right. Ugh.
2012-01-03 8:52 PM

New user

Ran again today with some strength training.  Very cold and windy.  I sure do miss the west coast! I need to get my training routine more organized.  Also, took a look at the Mr. Smooth- very cool.  I will be starting my swim training next week.  I need to find a swim buddy too...

What is a brick workout? I'm guessing a building workout, but not sure. 

Thanks- Jesse

2012-01-03 9:03 PM

Little late off the block, I got my first workout of 2012 in today! Did something like 1700 of drills in my Tri-Swim class today, and for the first time I felt like I could keep up! Also got my P.T. eval moved up so I start tomorrow! Can't wait to get back running!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 32